PDA

View Full Version : 2016: The Year of the Superhero Movie

mae
10-09-2015, 06:46 AM
As has been pointed out by many people recently, we are in a sort of a Golden Age of comic book movies and superhero movies specifically. It all started in earnest in 2000 with X-Men and slowly evolved first to the sprawling Marvel Cinematic Universe and now also the DC Extended Universe. We have our general threads dedicated to these various series, but I just wanted to talk about next year's schedule specifically, since in 2016 we are getting a whopping seven (that's one, two, three, four, five, six, and seven) superhero movies in a row. That's pretty much one every other month. Unprecedented. And while there have already been murmurs of over-saturation (especially when the various television series are also included in the conversation), I say bring it on!

Let's take a look at what's on tap. This is always subject to change, as with yesterday's unexpected announcement of Ant-Man and The Wasp, and the moves that it necessitated, but as of now here we go:

February 12, 2016: Deadpool
March 25, 2016: Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
May 6, 2016: Captain America: Civil War
May 27, 2016: X-Men: Apocalypse
August 5, 2016: Suicide Squad
October 7, 2016: Gambit
November 4, 2016: Doctor Strange

So, to recap: we're getting three X-Men Universe movies, two DC Universe movies, and two Marvel Universe movies. Quite a slate. All in one year. Actually, all in a span of roughly 10 months. This is so mind-blowing and I can't wait. All of these I'm very much anticipating, and the two DC movies the most, but I think Doctor Strange may be the sleeper hit of the year. From various descriptions it sounds like it will be a total acid-trip of a mind-fuck, and that's okay by me!

Merlin1958
10-15-2015, 11:34 AM
I'd say that this should be rather fucking awesome!!!

Mattrick
10-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Pablo, you named this thread as if every year going forward won't have this many superhero movies lol

mae
10-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Not as many as in 2016. At least not as of right now.