PDA

View Full Version : The Bastard Executioner

CRinVA
09-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Anyone watch the premier to The Bastard Executioner?

Sutter promised loads of violence and that we got! Can't wait to see where they take this!

killjoy72
09-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Aw, dammit! Did I miss it? I saw the trailers and it looks promising. I'll have to see if it's On Demand yet.

Still Servant
09-17-2015, 01:37 PM
I got about an hour and 20 minutes in and I was begging for somebody to execute me. Still have to finish it. Feels like a really poor man's Game of Thrones.

webstar1000
09-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Hating it so far.... 20 mins jn

Lookwhoitis
09-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Watched about half of it after reading bad press on social media (I think it may have turned me against it going in?). I am a lover of Medieval stories and themes and also Historical Period pieces, but this one looks like it might be a Turkey.

BUT this kind of story is right up my alley so I'm guessing I'm doomed to see it through to its cancellation (with the budgetary expenses of Period drama I cant really see this going more than one season?)

One of the things that really took me out of it happened in the opening credits animation. Having worked in Art direction, Props and Production Design, I am a real stickler for how things LOOK especially props and such, and well... I had issues with the look of the blood on all the torture instruments in the Opening credits. It just looked too NEW, fake and not real, LOL I mean when you compare it to the clockwork animation of Game of Thrones intro (which could be a festival short film all in itself) it just looked like a steaming turd to my eye. Sure that is a persnickety damnation, but the effect was that it pulled me out of suspension of disbelief immediately, impacting my ability to get into the story before the show even started.

The characters are all pretty wooden and i didnt really like or root for any of them, I mean the weird azz dude with a sheep for a "friend" was pretty interisting, but still he seemd like a token weird gimmick guy. I was yanked out of the story by recognizing actors from other roles. The guy who played Declan in SoA did such a good job, that it was Declan standing there in the garb of a priest preparing to kidnap all those kids, not read them bible verses. "Token Irish Character Actor" Brian F O'Byrne as the Baron, I recognized immediately from seeing him in other shows , but for some reason i thought it was Michael Kelley from House of Cards. I dug Katey Sagal in SoA but having her as the village witch woman with that gray ass hair, i just groaned. If the characters aren't engaing enough for you to refrain from being jerked out of the story thinking about prior roles they played, then something is wrong. I did like the girl who played the Baroness.

The Lead has a credit on his VERY SHORT IMDB resume as Slut: The Musical.

I dug the subtext of Christianity juxtaposed vs the Pagan religion and I think that should take place as a major theme in the story, but it seems the filmmakers may be too distracted on being a GoT wanna-be to actually think about stuff that will be worthwhile and resonate with the viewer.

Really hoping the show gets better and that I can sit down and finish the Pilot, but im guessing this is one series that is heading for a decapitation.

webstar1000
09-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Shut it off.... Poor go for Sutter in my opinion...

Still Servant
09-17-2015, 07:26 PM
One of the things that really took me out of it happened in the opening credits animation. Having worked in Art direction, Props and Production Design, I am a real stickler for how things LOOK especially props and such, and well... I had issues with the look of the blood on all the torture instruments in the Opening credits. It just looked too NEW, fake and not real, LOL I mean when you compare it to the clockwork animation of Game of Thrones intro (which could be a festival short film all in itself) it just looked like a steaming turd to my eye. Sure that is a persnickety damnation, but the effect was that it pulled me out of suspension of disbelief immediately, impacting my ability to get into the story before the show even started.

Yes!! Thank you!! That was exactly my biggest problem with what I've seen so far. I've seen more authenticity at a Medieval Times dinner.

I don't even think it reaches the standards of Vikings as far as that is concerned. I know Sutter is married to Katey Sagal, but you don't have to put her in everything.

I really love this time period too and I really wanted to love this show, but we're off to a bad start. I'm glad you mentioned the horrendous opening credits too.

Lookwhoitis
09-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Shut it off.... Poor go for Sutter in my opinion...

But I can't, I'm all about Period AND Barbarian! LOL

Lookwhoitis
09-29-2015, 05:57 AM
I made it through the first ep and the battle scene alone revitalized my desire to watch the series. Still dont like Katey Sagal as the Pagan/Christian witch

webstar1000
09-29-2015, 06:02 AM
I have not watched the second show.. if it gets better... I may and will monitor this thread.