PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2016 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Still Servant
09-10-2015, 02:48 PM
You have until showtime on February 28, 2016.

This is the seventh year I'm running the Oscar contest. Last year was the first year that Heather didn't win (congrats once again to T-Dogz) so I'm sure she will be out for blood this time around. We had a great turnout last year (11) I'd like to see that again, or maybe even add some contestants.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget the tie breaker. It's simple: Basically, everybody will submit their choices like usual, except they will also add which film they think will win the most Oscars and give a number. In case of a tie, who ever has the closest number without going over is the winner.

Predictions have to be in by showtime, so there is no rush to post them. We still have some time before Oscar night. I myself will be waiting for the last possible moment to post my predictions. I still have films to watch, buzz to follow and articles to read.

Remember, these are just educated guesses. None of us have seen every film nominated and I doubt if anybody has seen any of the documentary short subject nominees. Just make an educated guess. Or an uneducated guess.

BEST PICTURE

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christian Bale, The Big Short
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

Adam McKay - The Big Short
George Miller - Mad Max: Fury Road
Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenant
Lenny Abrahamson - Room
Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN

Carol
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Body Team
Chau, Beyond the Lines
Claude Lanzmann
A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG

"Earned It" - Fifty Shades of Grey
"Manta Ray" - Racing Extinction
"Simple Song #3" - Youth
"Til It Happens to You" - The Hunting Ground
"Writing's on the Wall" - Spectre

ANIMATED SHORT

Bear Story
Prologue
Sanjay's Super Team
We Can't Live Without Cosmos
World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING

Sicario
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Martian
The Revenant

SOUND MIXING

Bridge of Spies
The Martian
The Revenant

FILM EDITING

The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Embrace of the Serpent
Mustang
Son of Saul
Theeb
A War

ORIGINAL SCORE

Bridge of Spies
Carol
The Hateful Eight
Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Carol
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

LIVE ACTION SHORT

Ave Maria
Day One
Everything Will Be Okay
Shok
Stutterer

Past results:

2010 results
Heather - 15
Servant - 14
Turtlex - 14
Cody - 8
Seymour - 8
Odetta - 4

2011 results
Heather - 17
Servant - 15
Path - 14
Mattrick - 14
Ricky - 12
Merlin - 11
Feev - 8

2012 results
Servant - 14
Heather - 14
Ricky - 14
Stockerlone - 12
Shannon - 11
Thorin- 10
Mattrick - 9
Feev - 8
Garrell - 8
Odetta - 5
Mystima - 4

2013 results
Heather - 20
Servant - 17
Ricky - 15
Matt - 14
Stockerlone - 13
Feev - 12
Pablo - 10

2014 results
Heather - 22
Ricky - 20
Servant - 19
Randall - 16
Pablo - 13
Matt - 10
Mystima - 10
Merlin - 7
Stockerlone - 6

2015 results
T-Dogz - 20
George Monkey - 19
Lurker - 19
Ricky - 18
Servant - 17
Feev - 17
Heather - 15
Shannon - 15
Pablo - 13
Stocker - 9
Matt - 6

Still Servant
09-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Let's kick the thread off with a list of everybody's Oscar frontrunners. Here are a few of mine:

The Hateful Eight
Carol
The Danish Girl
Sicario
Bridge of Spies
The Revenant
Black Mass

fernandito
09-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Isn't it premature to call those front runners since they haven't even been released yet?

Ricky
09-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I can't even begin to start thinking about Oscar season yet. Way too early. It's like stores putting out Christmas decorations in September.

Mattrick
09-10-2015, 04:54 PM
I barely know any of the films coming out. Once mid-October hits I'll get into the swing of things.

Shannon
09-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Just give Leo a damn award and I'll be happy, lol.

Still Servant
09-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Isn't it premature to call those front runners since they haven't even been released yet?

No. It's never premature to talk Oscars. Actually, there are already numerous articles talking about films that may be Oscar contenders including pieces in magazines like The Hollywood Reporter and Entertainment Weekly.

Yeah, I can't even begin to start thinking about Oscar season yet. Way too early. It's like stores putting out Christmas decorations in September.

Pablo asked and he received. Whether we like it or not, there will be movies released in September and October that will be featured come Oscar night. This thread will be here when people are ready to talk about it. It's the Girl Scout motto - be prepared.

Just give Leo a damn award and I'll be happy, lol.

I do not have that kind of power.

Merlin1958
09-10-2015, 07:25 PM
"Wolf of Wall Street" and "Mad Max"!!!!

Oops, did I say that out loud? LOL LOL

Heather19
09-11-2015, 04:39 AM
I really wish they would release Oscar contenders throughout the year. I really hate that we get bombarded with them just a month or two before (or sometimes not until after) the awards.

mae
09-11-2015, 05:13 AM
Pablo asked and he received.

Can I have a million dollars?

It's very hard now to see which movies will be nominated but certain generalities are probably already doable. For Best Picture, my 10-title list at this point would look something like this:

Beasts of No Nation
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Carol
The Danish Girl
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Steve Jobs
Spotlight

Several others could definitely make it too, but I'm okay with this list for now. Inside Out could potentially be there. Maybe also Joy, but it looks exceedingly hollow and epitomizes Oscar bait. I'm fairly certain Fury Road will make it, if it's ten nominees. Probably not, if it's eight. Or Straight Outta Compton could be in its place. And Sicario could be a surprise, can't wait to see it next weekend. One smaller film that could be in the conversation is 45 Years, which is getting great reviews and buzz. Plus there's Room, Black Mass, Suffragette... Not to mention longshots like Trumbo or The End of the Tour.

fernandito
09-11-2015, 08:06 AM
As much as I would love to see it happen, I doubt Mad Max will be nominated for anything other than technical categories.

webstar1000
09-11-2015, 08:08 AM
As much as I would love to see it happen, I doubt Mad Max will be nominated for anything other than technical categories.

Mad Max was great. I really hope that George does Man of Steel 2. I heard rumors... man he would kill it I think. Hottest action director out there right now... LOVE to see him do something iconic like Supe!

mae
09-11-2015, 08:14 AM

It's very much a longshot but I'm hopeful. Depends on how many slots there are (what's the rule?) If Max is out then Inside Out is in. I still maintain Carol is the frontrunner right now.

Mattrick
09-11-2015, 08:35 AM
I think I'm seeing Beasts of No Nations at TIFF on Sunday :D :D :D

My brother as been offered tickets and I'd never heard of it. Seeing Fukanaga's name was all I needed to know I want to see it.

Mattrick
09-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Scratch that. Tickets were already claimed. Will end up seeing Family Fang on Monday instead, though I am not nearly as interested in it.

At least Beasts of No Nation is available on Netflix in October.

killjoy72
09-11-2015, 12:15 PM

Mad Max was great. I really hope that George does Man of Steel 2. I heard rumors... man he would kill it I think. Hottest action director out there right now... LOVE to see him do something iconic like Supe!

Did you know he was originally supposed to do a Justice League movie back in 2008?

Still Servant
09-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Pablo asked and he received.

Can I have a million dollars?

It's very hard now to see which movies will be nominated but certain generalities are probably already doable. For Best Picture, my 10-title list at this point would look something like this:

Beasts of No Nation
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Carol
The Danish Girl
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Steve Jobs
Spotlight

Several others could definitely make it too, but I'm okay with this list for now. Inside Out could potentially be there. Maybe also Joy, but it looks exceedingly hollow and epitomizes Oscar bait. I'm fairly certain Fury Road will make it, if it's ten nominees. Probably not, if it's eight. Or Straight Outta Compton could be in its place. And Sicario could be a surprise, can't wait to see it next weekend. One smaller film that could be in the conversation is 45 Years, which is getting great reviews and buzz. Plus there's Room, Black Mass, Suffragette... Not to mention longshots like Trumbo or The End of the Tour.

If I had a couple million bucks, I'd certainly share it with you. I'll let you know when I get it :lol:

I've seen a few articles that have Fury Road nominated for Best Picture. I would really love to see that. I would also like to see Inside Out get nominated.

I think the ones you picked are pretty spot on.

Mattrick
09-11-2015, 05:29 PM
My brother is trying to score TIFF tickets for The Martian, Scolari, Black Mass or The Event for me.

Merlin1958
09-11-2015, 07:59 PM

I agree. Did you ever get to pick up the DVD of "Fury Road", Kris? That "special features" DVD was really cool and interesting. They actually used very little CGI in the film. Amazing they didn't manage to kill any stunt men while making the movie. What that director could do with "MOS II" would surely be killer!!!

Still Servant
09-12-2015, 02:11 PM
My brother is trying to score TIFF tickets for The Martian, Scolari, Black Mass or The Event for me.

You gotta get this done. That would be great.

Still Servant
11-05-2015, 05:09 PM
I took some heat back in early September when I started this thread. People thought it was way too early to talk Oscar. Well, it's November and we are officially in Oscar season.

Oscar worthy films should slowly be making their way to a theater near you (maybe). So, what is everybody looking forward to? I really want to see Spotlight. It's in limited release right now. If you're interested in that kind of subject matter, I suggest watching a documentary called Deliver Us from Evil. It's fantastic.

I also want to see Secret in Their Eyes, even though I haven't seen the foreign film it's based on.

Mattrick
11-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Spotlight is top of my list. That fuckin cast! Love that cast.

Still Servant
11-05-2015, 08:49 PM

The cast is insane. I will be shocked if it's not at least a decent film.

Mattrick
11-05-2015, 08:56 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/puddy8ball.jpg
All signs point to YES.

mae
11-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Very much looking forward to seeing the nominees for Best Animated Film, the submissions this year are pretty strong:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/16-animated-features-submitted-for-2015-oscars-121466.html

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences announced today that 16 animated features have been submitted for Oscar consideration in the 2015 feature category.

Here is the list of films, in alphabetical order:

Anomalisa
Home
Hotel Transylvania 2
Inside Out
Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet
Minions
Moomins on the Riviera
Regular Show: The Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie
The Boy and the Beast
The Boy and the World
The Good Dinosaur
The Laws of the Universe – Part 0
The Peanuts Movie
The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water
When Marnie Was There

Though all of these films have submitted their paperwork, several of the films have not yet fulfilled the Los Angeles theatrical release requirement that would allow them to advance in the voting process. Here’s why that matters: To have five nominees in the category, the Academy requires a minimum of 16 films to qualify. That means if one of these films doesn’t complete the qualification process, the entire field would drop down to 15 films, and the Academy rules would force them to scale back to just three nominees, rather than five.

That would be especially tough for the other films because it’s an extremely strong pack of contenders this year with much-admired films like Anomalisa, The Boy and the Beast, The Boy and the World, Inside Out, and Shaun the Sheep Movie contending for the prize. Other potential contenders like The Peanuts Movie and The Good Dinosaur haven’t even been released yet.

It’s also remarkable that so few films qualified this year considering that over 150 animated features were released theatrically around the globe this year. The number of submissions in the feature animation category represents a 20% drop-off from last year when 20 features were submitted.

The 88th Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Thursday, January 14, 2016.

For me, the top five would probably be:

Anomalisa
Inside Out
The Prophet
The Boy and the World
When Marnie Was There

The Peanuts Movie hasn't opened yet, and I'm hoping it will be great, so it may be an honorable mention or even unseat one top five for me. I love Peanuts so I'm hoping this one is good. Moomins on the Riviera looks great, too.

Mattrick
11-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Pixar has been working on The Good Dinosaur for years so I expect good things, good enough that they released that during Oscar season instead of summer season like Inside Out. The last movie they worked on for as long was Wall-E and that is a masterpiece.

Heather19
11-06-2015, 07:48 AM
I might be the only one, but honestly The Peanuts movie looks like crap. I just can't get on board with the horrible computer animated style. And being in the running for the best animated film, shouldn't the animation play a huge factor in the vote.

Ricky
11-06-2015, 08:07 AM
I'm seeing The Peanuts Movie tomorrow. I've been skeptical since it was announced, so we'll see. I love all the specials so I'm hoping that it'll be good.

As for other November releases, I also want to see Secret In Their Eyes and The Good Dinosaur (and Love the Coopers. The previews look funny and it seems like we never get any new Christmas-y movies). I'll see Spectre eventually, but I can wait for the DVD.

Still Servant
11-06-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm not a Peanuts guy, but I'm rooting for the film because the film was created at a Connecticut based studio. I actually knew somebody that worked there years ago.

As for the best animated category this year, it's going to be very hard for anything to beat Inside Out in my eyes. The film is fantastic and one of my favorite films of the year.

fernandito
11-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Can't wait for that movie. I'm fascinated by everything involving scandal cover ups and hopefully it's another fuck you to the cesspool of corruption and deceit that is the Catholic Church.

I also want to see Secret in Their Eyes, even though I haven't seen the foreign film it's based on.
The original, El Secreto En Sus Ojos, is an almost perfect film. I didn't know Argentine cinema could get down like that. Don't bother with the remake, I'm sure it will be a watered version of the punishing original.

Mattrick
11-06-2015, 09:50 PM
I've never liked Peanuts. Never really saw the appeal. I can see why generations before me liked it though. I think it might just be too wholesome lol

Still Servant
11-07-2015, 07:56 AM
I've never liked Peanuts. Never really saw the appeal. I can see why generations before me liked it though. I think it might just be too wholesome lol

Coming from the guy with the South Park theme.

:lol:

fernandito
11-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Unlike Peanuts though South Park is actually funny.

:D

Mattrick
11-09-2015, 09:19 AM
SHOTS FIRED! SHOTS FIRED!

mae
11-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Peanuts has been an American institution since 1950. South Park is not even at The Simpsons level.

Ricky
11-09-2015, 09:51 AM

You're the reason why Charlie Brown has such low self-esteem. :lol:

fernandito
11-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Peanuts has been an American institution since 1950. South Park is not even at The Simpsons level.
65 years and they still can't get a fix on this whole being funny thing.

You're the reason why Charlie Brown has such low self-esteem. :lol:

hahahaha!

Mattrick
11-09-2015, 11:27 AM
I'm a Canadian, what do I care about American institutions? South Park has stayed relevant for 20 years trying to upset as many people as possible, which easily puts a multiplier on its institution. Somehow, I don't think Peanuts could do an episode like Peppermint Patty Must Die, and they certainly couldn't tackle Transgender.rights lol

Still Servant
11-09-2015, 05:06 PM
I'll take South Park everyday of the week and twice on Sunday compared to The Simpsons. I grew up with it as a kid and didn't find it funny then, and I don't find it funny now whenever I catch an episode.

mae
11-10-2015, 07:21 AM
No to derail the thread much further (but Peanuts could end up being nominated), but I love Peanuts (so sue me), and so:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/11/the-existential-beauty-of-peanuts

Peanuts exists on exactly two levels, and they are diametrically opposed. There’s Peanuts the franchise, an endless heap of decorative flags, lawn ornaments, and greeting cards stuffed with sunny generalities. This is the Peanuts of small stuffed animals sitting on a work desk, the Peanuts of yellowed, warped newspaper clippings pinned on corkboards in administrative offices. This is the Peanuts most people know first.

But there’s also the Peanuts Charles Schulz created, the one that ran daily for half a century, from 1950 until January 3, 2000, just a month before Schulz died of cancer. We mostly know it superficially, as a series of iconic images—Charlie Brown with his head down, Snoopy perched on top of a doghouse, Linus clutching his baby blanket, Pigpen with a cloud of dirt behind him. But beyond those images is a melancholic masterpiece. The longest-running meditation on loneliness, defeat, and alienation ever in popular American art.

That sounds dramatic and a bit revisionist, but it’s not. Case in point: a strip from September 18, 1994. It’s about Snoopy’s brother Spike, superficially a dog but really something more like a Great Depression-era boxcar hobo. He’s sitting in the Mojave Desert, next to a cactus.

He sighs, sits down, and asks to no one why he lives alone in the desert. Then he tells his story to a cactus. He explains that he was in a crowd, and the crowd asked him to catch a rabbit. He chased the rabbit out into the street, where it was hit by a car. “Oh, how I hated myself!” he laments. “And how I hated those people who shouted ‘Get him!’”

“So I came out here to the desert where I couldn’t hurt anything again. I’ve never told this to anyone before.” Then he turns and reminds us he’s talking to a cactus. “I guess I still haven’t.”

It’s one of the finest pieces of art ever to sneak its way into a nationally syndicated comic strip. It’s a story of grief, guilt, and yearning, told with perfect economy by a protagonist who will never be able to get away from his pain. Schulz ends the strip on a note of despair more befitting a Samuel Beckett story than a comic strip.

Here was the existential undercurrent that always ran through Peanuts writ large, a parable about the way life damages people, the burdens we carry forever in silence. It’s impossible to reconcile with the greeting cards, which give us only the broad strokes, but Peanuts always carried too much philosophical weight to be reduced to broad strokes. Schulz’s soul gets lost in the process.

David Michaelis, in his 2007 book Schulz and Peanuts, tells of an event where the Democratic National Committee called Schulz the “youngest existentialist” in a gimmicky bid to gain his support for Adlai Stevenson’s presidential bid. But gimmicky as the designation was, it had merit. Schulz had a lot in common with Søren Kierkegaard, the first existential philosopher.

Kierkegaard was alienated and emotionally isolated by a guilt-racked, melancholic father who believed his children would die young. He felt doomed, haunted, like an outsider. Schulz was burdened by a distant mother who died of cancer shortly after he was drafted into the Army in World War II. Her last words to him were “we’ll probably never see each other again.”

And Schulz was likewise an outsider. Schulz and Peanuts paints a picture of a perpetually and incurably lonely man, incapable of undoing the damage done in youth. “He never stopped believing that he had been forsaken and would be left behind, that nobody cared,” Michaelis wrote.

Kierkegaard and Schulz’s similar backgrounds led to the exploration of similar themes. Both dealt with alienation and the pursuit of internal, individual truth. Both were concerned with the ethics of simply living as a human being on this planet. Both dealt in parables.

And both took childhood seriously. “Every person is essentially what he will become by the time he is ten years old. And yet you will find that almost all bear damage from their childhood that they cannot overcome even when they attain the age of seventy,” wrote Kierkegaard in his journals.

Schulz and Peanuts quotes Schulz as writing “we are all pretty much what we are going to be early in our lives. Our personalities and characteristics are established, usually by the time we are five or six years old, but the lids are on. We are like boiling pots on a stove.” This is a belief reflected constantly in his work, in its steadfast refusal to sentimentalize childhood.

If sheer marketing muscle made Peanuts culturally ubiquitous, it’s Schulz’s philosophical grounding that made his work actually burrow into our souls. It led him to create characters who are relatable because they have real, eternal struggles. Charlie Brown was always looking for answers but not getting them, trying to find a reason to exist. Standing on the sidelines of society. Searching but not finding.

Translating that existential nuance to film and television is a monumental task, of course, but when a franchise is such a massive cultural presence, it’s an inevitable task. But in spite of the odds, A Charlie Brown Christmas got it exactly right, and it’s universally beloved as a result, connecting with audiences on a far deeper level than other holiday specials, which even at their best are reliant on sentimental attachment.

The special works because it captures an emotional reality of being a kid that’s totally honest and authentic. It’s a story that permits loss and small, realistic victories against the indignities of, well, being alive. There are no sentimental histrionics. It’s perfection in a minor key. And it remains a respite from the prevailing wind of children’s movies, which usually demand huge excitement, huge stakes, and huge triumphs. A protagonist in a children’s movie has to do something normal people will never do: save the world. But Schulz would never do that.

So The Peanuts Movie, out now, has to reckon with an impossible legacy. And it does its level best to live up to it. Visually, it’s stunning, handling the transition from Schulz’s minimalist panels to full-blown 3-D with grace and intelligence. And it’s filled with knowing references to the comic and various Peanuts cartoons. It knows that Snoopy starts all his stories with “It was a dark and stormy night.” It knows people love Vince Guaraldi’s score to A Charlie Brown Christmas and reprises it often. The voice actors walk the necessary line of whimsy and melancholy.

But it falters on pacing. Charles Schulz’s best work was driven by ponderous little discoveries and silences, the revealing day-to-day moments of childhood. He knew that walking home from school or sitting on the sidewalk could have infinite philosophical weight. But this movie has no small moments. What should be small moments are transmuted into enormous ones.

The camera treats its subjects like the star of a modern blockbuster. Every scene has movement. The presentation is overly zealous, with a high-gloss orchestral score to underline every critical action. And it never lingers on the in-between moments. It lets you see Snoopy walking to his doghouse at night, but not for very long. It’s afraid to let nothing happen. But nothing could be everything to Charles Schulz. That’s where emotional discoveries were made.

And when it’s happy, it’s tremendously happy, like any other family film. But Peanuts never set out to be tremendously happy. It forgets the proverbial wisdom that Charles Schulz learned from experience. Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful.

Mattrick
11-10-2015, 02:21 PM
I might get nominated, but either Inside Out or The Good Dinosaur will be taking best animated feature. My money is on The Good Dinosaur. It looks absolutely stunning. The last movie I thought looked this amazing was Wall-E and Wall-E is one of the greatest films I've ever seen.

This articles and their process for animated The Good Dinosaur is fascinating.
http://io9.com/how-pixar-changed-all-the-rules-to-make-the-good-dinosa-1735364564

Still Servant
11-10-2015, 06:37 PM
The Good Dinosaur is very interesting because it's had a very rocky production, going through multiple directors among other problems. Usually that spells doom for a film, but it looks like The Good Dinosaur has overcome that.

Mattrick
11-10-2015, 11:31 PM
I was reading up on that and it's not very typical how it happened, didn't seem to be any production issues or screw ups, they just kind of realized they could make a better movie. The director wasn't even fired, it was like, 'you need a fresh project, go work on that Pixar film'. Typical production nightmares get advertising out the wazoo to pump it up since they know they have a stinker lol. My adage of the more ads you see, the worse it is, is true most of the time.

Still Servant
11-11-2015, 09:55 AM
I was reading up on that and it's not very typical how it happened, didn't seem to be any production issues or screw ups, they just kind of realized they could make a better movie. The director wasn't even fired, it was like, 'you need a fresh project, go work on that Pixar film'. Typical production nightmares get advertising out the wazoo to pump it up since they know they have a stinker lol. My adage of the more ads you see, the worse it is, is true most of the time.

True, but the whole scope and focus of the film changed from a few years ago. My mom works at prep school and the company I work for used to record tons of stuff for them. We were hired one day to record a Pixar employee who was also an alum, he touched very briefly on The Good Dinosaur and some of the changes it was going through.

It was very interesting.

Mattrick
11-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Yeah, it seems to be it happened for the better from what I read. Look at World War Z...have you ever read what the third act original was? It sounded horrible. Instead, the remade third act was the best part of the movie. For the most part re-writes and new directors and crew spells disaster, but some films pull an Andy Dufresne and crawl through a river of shit and come out clean on the other side.

Still Servant
11-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Yeah, it seems to be it happened for the better from what I read. Look at World War Z...have you ever read what the third act original was? It sounded horrible. Instead, the remade third act was the best part of the movie. For the most part re-writes and new directors and crew spells disaster, but some films pull an Andy Dufresne and crawl through a river of shit and come out clean on the other side.

There are quite a few success stories in that regard. Then there are films like Jane Got a Gun.

I'll be shocked if that one is any good.

Mattrick
11-11-2015, 06:31 PM
The Invasion lol. What a turd with three directors and like 8 writers.

fernandito
12-05-2015, 07:11 AM
What are Creed's prospects heading into awards season?

Also, The Revenant is sitting at a very respectable 85% approval rating. The emphasis seems to be on Inarritu's direction and not DiCaprio's performance however.

Mattrick
12-07-2015, 04:50 AM

Also, The Revenant is sitting at a very respectable 85% approval rating. The emphasis seems to be on Inarritu's direction and not DiCaprio's performance however.

That tracking shot in the trailer sold me, so this makes sense.

mae
12-08-2015, 07:39 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/639101-20-contenders-advance-in-the-vfx-oscar-race

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 20 films are in the running in the Visual Effects category for the 88th Academy Awards®.

The films are listed below in alphabetical order:

Ant-Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Bridge of Spies
Chappie
Everest
Ex Machina
Furious Seven
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
In the Heart of the Sea
Jupiter Ascending
Jurassic World
The Martian
Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation
The Revenant
Spectre
Terminator Genisys
Tomorrowland
The Walk

The Academy’s Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee determined the preliminary shortlist. This year, in the Visual Effects category, the number of eligible films initially shortlisted for further consideration was increased to a maximum of 20 titles. The number of films that will be shortlisted for nominations voting remains at 10, which will be announced later this month.

Still Servant
12-10-2015, 05:34 PM

I think Creed has a shot come awards season. I'm dying to see it, but I'm hearing it could get nominated. I'm also hearing Sly could get nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

The Revenant looks like a beautiful film. From what I hear, the cinematography is outstanding. I also heard some of the stuff they did with the lighting is unlike anything anybody has ever seen. Should be interesting.

At this point, it feels like I will never get to see another movie in a theater.

Still Servant
12-12-2015, 07:33 PM
I've been so out of it lately that I didn't even realize SAG nominations and Golden Globe nominations came out. It's not fool proof, but it gives us an idea of what Oscar season might look like. The only thing I learned is how many movies I need to see before Oscar night: :pullhair:

SAG Nominations

MOVIES

Outstanding Female Actor Supporting

Rooney Mara - Carol
Rachel McAdams - Spotlight
Hellen Mirren - Trumbo
Alicia Vikander - The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet - Steve Jobs
Outstanding Male Actor Supporting

Christian Bale - The Big Short
Idris Elba - Beasts of No Nation
Mark Rylance - Bridge of Spies
Michael Shannon - 99 Homes
Jacob Tremblay - Room
Female Leading Role

Cate Blanchett - Carol
Brie Larson - Room
Hellen Mirren - Woman in Gold
Saoirse Ronan - Brookyn
Sarah Silverman - I Smile Back
Male Leading Role

Bryan Cranston - Trumbo
Johnny Depp - Black Mass
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Revenant
Michael Fassbender - Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne - The Danish Girl
Cast in a Movie

Beasts of No Nation
The Big Short
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton
Trumbo

Golden Globe Nominations

Best Animated Feature Film

Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun and the Sheep Movie

Best Original Song – Motion Picture

Love Me Like You Do - 50 Shades of Grey
One Kind of Love - Love and Mercy
See You Again - Furious 7
Simple Song. No. 3 - Youth
Writings on the Wall - Spectre

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture

Emma Donoghue - Room
Tom McCarthy & Josh Singer - Spotlight
Charles Randolph & Adam McCay - The Big Short
Aaron Sorkin - Steve Jobs
Quentin Tarantino - The Hateful 8

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

The Big Short
Joy
The Martian
Spy
Trainwreck

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Christian Bale - The Big Short
Steve Carell - The Big Short
Matt Damon -The Martian
Al Pacino - Danny Collins
Mark Ruffalo - Infinitely Polar Bear

Best Director – Motion Picture

Tom Haynes - Carol
Tom McCarthy - Spotlight
Ridley Scott - The Martian

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture

Jane Fonda - Youth
Jennifer Jason Leigh - The Hateful Eight
Helen Mirren - Trumbo
Alicia Vikander - Ex Machina
Kate Winslet - Steve Jobs

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture

Paul Dano - Love and Mercy
Idris Elba - Beasts of No Nation
Mark Rylance - Bridge of Spies
Michael Shannon - 99 Homes
Sylvester Stallone - Creed

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama

Brian Cranston - Trumbo
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Revenant
Michael Fassbender - Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne - The Danish Girl
Will Smith - Concussion

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Jennifer Lawrence - Joy
Melissa McCarthy - Spy
Amy Schumer - Trainwreck
Maggie Smith - The Lady in the Van
Lily Tomlin - Grandma

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama

Cate Blanchett - Carol
Brie Larson - Broom
Rooney Mara - Carol
Saoirse Ronan - Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander - The Danish Girl

Best Motion Picture, Drama

Carol
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Best Original Score – Motion Picture

Carol
The Danish Girl
The Revenant
Inside Out

Best Foreign Language Film

Son of Saul
Mustang
The Fencer
Brand New Testament
The Club

fernandito
12-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Beasts of No Nation is fucking fantastic btw.

Mattrick
12-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Mike, what are the odds that Brie Larsen was in a film called Room and a film called Broom in the same year..and she's getting oscar buzz for both! :P

Fernando, Beasts of No Nation was a very good film.

Room is my favourite film so far this year. It's going to be tough for Tarantino, O. Russell, or Inarritu to topple it off the top of my list I loved Room so much.

Still Servant
12-16-2015, 06:23 PM

Yeah, I really want to see Beasts. Ironically, it's right at my fingertips to watch and yet I just haven't had the chance.

Mike, what are the odds that Brie Larsen was in a film called Room and a film called Broom in the same year..and she's getting oscar buzz for both! :P

I copied and pasted, bro. Talk to ABC News :lol:

fernandito
12-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Fernando, Beasts of No Nation was a very good film.

Yeah, I really want to see Beasts. Ironically, it's right at my fingertips to watch and yet I just haven't had the chance.

If you love BoNN as much as I did, you may want to check out Come And See (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1), one of the most psychologically fucked up movies I've ever seen. There are several similarities between the two, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to read Fukunaga was influenced by it when director Beasts.

All war films share a current of 'war is hell', but these two films deal with it in a very specific (and visceral) way.

mae
12-18-2015, 06:11 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-nine-titles-advance-foreign-850070

In the highly competitive foreign-language film Oscar race, the 80 films that were originally submitted have been whittled down to a shortlist of nine features from which the eventual five nominees will be chosen, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Thursday.

This year's shortlist is dominated by European submissions, with only two entries submitted by non-European countries making the cut: Ciro Guerra's Amazon jungle-set Embrace of the Serpent, from Colombia, and Naji Abu Nowar's Theeb, the story of a Bedouin boy and a British officer, from Jordan. However, the Irish entry Viva, from director Paddy Breathnach, actually takes place in Cuba and dramatizes the relationship between a young drag performer and his macho father, and the French entry, Mustang, directed by Deniz Gamze Erguven, is about five sisters living in a Turkish village.

Laszlo Nemes' holocaust drama Son of Saul, from Hungary, has to be considered one of the favorites of the field, since the film has already won the Grand Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival, along with a number of critics' awards. Other entries include Jaco Van Dormael's The Brand New Testament, an absurdist comedy about a vengeful God, from Belgium; Tobias Lindholm's A War, about a soldier in Afghanistan and the effect that his actions have on his life back home; Giulio Ricciarelli's Labyrinth of Lies, about the efforts in the 1950s to bring former Nazis to justice, from Germany; and Finland's entry, Klaus Haro's The Fencer, another '50s drama, this one set in Estonia that concerns a fencing instructor who is evading the Soviet secret police. The Fencer has also just been announced as the opening-night film at the upcoming Palm Springs International Film Festival.

Prominent among the films that didn't make the list was Taiwan's entry, Hou Hsiao-Hsien's martial-arts movie The Assassin, which earned Hou the best director award at Cannes and recently topped the Sight & Sound critics' poll as the top film of the year. Other titles that had been seen as potential competitors include Brazil's The Second Mother, Austria's Good Night Mommy and Sweden's A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, from director Roy Andersson, which won the Golden Lion, the top prize at the Venice Film Festival, in 2014.

The shortlist was determined by committees composed of Academy members who viewed the submissions. Their top six choices were augmented by three additional selections voted by the Academy's foreign-language film award executive committee. Specially invited committees in New York, Los Angeles and London will now view the nine films on the shortlist, voting to determine which five will advance when nominees are announced Jan. 14.

The complete shortlist follows:

Belgium, The Brand New Testament, Jaco Van Dormael, director;
Colombia, Embrace of the Serpent, Ciro Guerra, director;
Denmark, A War, Tobias Lindholm, director;
Finland, The Fencer, Klaus Haro, director;
France, Mustang, Deniz Gamze Ergüven, director;
Germany, Labyrinth of Lies, Giulio Ricciarelli, director;
Hungary, Son of Saul, Laszlo Nemes, director;
Ireland, Viva, Paddy Breathnach, director;
Jordan, Theeb, Naji Abu Nowar, director.

Very surprising picks, overall. Here's what I though back in October, in the "World cinema" thread:

Looks like China dropped Wolf Totem in favor of some obscure romcom with no chance... Weird.

I still need to do more research but at this point I'd single out these as my picks for the January shortlist:

Goodnight Mommy (Austria)
The Second Mother (Brazil)
Mustang (France)
Son of Saul (Hungary)
Rams (Iceland)
Court (India)
Arabian Nights (Portugal)
A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (Sweden)
The Assassin (Taiwan)

With the following other possibilities: The Clan (Argentina), The Summer of Sangailė (Lithuania), and Aferim! (Romania).

Son of Saul is a lock to win.

Son of Saul is even more of a lock to win now.

Heather19
12-18-2015, 06:21 AM
I was really routing for Goodnight Mommy to make the list. Such a good film.

fernandito
12-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Everything I'm reading about The Revenant is making me all giddy.

Mattrick
12-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Me too Fernando.

Seeing The Big Short in a few hours.

Still Servant
12-26-2015, 07:43 AM

Which is making me keep it at arms length. This is one that I think will suffer if I get overhyped.

Heather19
01-12-2016, 05:45 AM
So did everyone watch The Golden Globes. Two things that really surprised me were Aaron Sorkin winning screenplay for Steve Jobs, and Kate Winslet winning supporting actress. I'm less surprised with Kate winning because she's a phenomenal actress, but she'll get nominated every year regardless of the movie. But Steve Jobs winning screenplay? I haven't seen it, so I'm curious out of those that have was it actually deserving. Everyone obviously knows where my vote would have gone, but I wonder with those 2 wins if it's more political. The movie was a huge failure at the box office, and you hear no one talking about it. So I wonder if it's to draw attention back to the film?

fernandito
01-12-2016, 09:14 AM
I haven't seen Steve Jobs so I can't say for sure, however Sorkin's talent is tried and true so I wouldn't be surprised if the film is indeed deserving of the award. (Remember that box office and quality don't always correlate) The biggest criticism I've seen leveled at it is that it's not very cinematic, kind of monotone in pacing and barren by way of climatic events.

I've seen the rest of the nominees so I'll get to this soon. My vote would have gone to Hateful Eight.

Mattrick
01-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Which is making me keep it at arms length. This is one that I think will suffer if I get overhyped.

This happened to my dad. Beware!

Mattrick
01-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Yay! Brie Larsen won! I hope she gets the Oscar too.

Still Servant
01-12-2016, 03:31 PM
So did everyone watch The Golden Globes. Two things that really surprised me were Aaron Sorkin winning screenplay for Steve Jobs, and Kate Winslet winning supporting actress. I'm less surprised with Kate winning because she's a phenomenal actress, but she'll get nominated every year regardless of the movie. But Steve Jobs winning screenplay? I haven't seen it, so I'm curious out of those that have was it actually deserving. Everyone obviously knows where my vote would have gone, but I wonder with those 2 wins if it's more political. The movie was a huge failure at the box office, and you hear no one talking about it. So I wonder if it's to draw attention back to the film?

I have forgotten the face of my father. I was at dinner with some friends on Sunday and messed up the recording, so I missed the first hour of the Golden Globes.

I'm not that surprised that Jobs is getting a lot of love, although Winslet winning surprises me more than anything. Fassbender is the name that comes up the most regarding that film. Considering that Leo won and held Fassbender off, I'd say that bodes well for Leo come Oscar night. I'm rooting for QT, but Sorkin is beloved by Oscar too. He won for Social Network and was nominated for Moneyball (and was somehow robbed of a nomination for A Few Good Men). I'm really surprised Jobs did so poorly. The film really does have a nice pedigree. I'm hoping to see it before Oscar night.

That being said, the Globes are less and less a precursor come Oscar night. In recent years, I feel that the SAG awards are more telling when it comes to acting awards. I think we will get an even clearer picture of things after that show.

Heather19
01-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Do you guys think Tarantino has a chance at winning screenplay for the Oscars? I was hoping he'd get it at the Globes. The Hateful Eight was such a well written film, and that's what he really succeeds at.

Also let me know what you guys think of Jobs when you see it. It looked like complete crap to me and I don't plan to ever see it :lol: so I'll take your words on it whether it's award worthy.

Still Servant
01-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Do you guys think Tarantino has a chance at winning screenplay for the Oscars? I was hoping he'd get it at the Globes. The Hateful Eight was such a well written film, and that's what he really succeeds at.

Also let me know what you guys think of Jobs when you see it. It looked like complete crap to me and I don't plan to ever see it :lol: so I'll take your words on it whether it's award worthy.

I think Tarantino has a great chance at winning Best Screenplay. It dawned on me after I posted before, but Sorkin will probably be in Adapted Screenplay, so QT shouldn't have to worry about him.

Well, believe it or not, but nominations are set to be revealed this Thursday. I will try to post the list as soon as possible, but it might not be until I get off work. Unless I do it on my lunch break. That's always an exciting event, unfortunately I won't be able to watch it live.

Mattrick
01-12-2016, 06:43 PM
I've got a screener for Jobs and Creed so I'll be watching them soon.

webstar1000
01-13-2016, 05:08 AM
I've got a screener for Jobs and Creed so I'll be watching them soon.

Jobs was brutal. Creed... was amazing!

mae
01-14-2016, 05:36 AM
Is everyone watching the nominations announcement stream?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW4LtP33M2E

mae
01-14-2016, 05:37 AM
Very excited to see both Anomalisa and The Boy and the World nominated for Best Animated Film!

Very close to my picks:

Very much looking forward to seeing the nominees for Best Animated Film, the submissions this year are pretty strong:

For me, the top five would probably be:

Anomalisa
Inside Out
The Prophet
The Boy and the World
When Marnie Was There

Heather19
01-14-2016, 05:49 AM
I tuned in a little late, but it looks like Tarantino wasn't even nominated for screenplay? :(

webstar1000
01-14-2016, 06:11 AM
I tuned in a little late, but it looks like Tarantino wasn't even nominated for screenplay? :(

He didnt deserve it...

webstar1000
01-14-2016, 06:12 AM
Sure hope Hardy wins supporting and Leo wins main. I really thought they killed it. Stallone was good but Hardy was better!

mae
01-14-2016, 06:19 AM
This is definitely Leo's to lose, I think. And The Revenant is all but a lock to win Best Picture, I think. Spotlight a close second, but seems like it's leaning The Revenant's way.

Heather19
01-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Well I disagree about QT, but I do agree about Hardy and Leo. Especially Hardy, he was amazing in that movie and it might be my favorite performance by an actor this year.

mae
01-14-2016, 06:29 AM
http://www.indiewire.com/article/2016-oscar-nominations-20160114

The morning's Academy Awards nominations heaped big love on "The Revenant" and "Mad Max: Fury Road," but still made time to surprise with a Best Director melee that shut out Ridley Scott for "The Martian" and added in Lenny Abrahamson for "Room." "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" won big in the effects space, but didn't grab any directing, acting or writing noms. Take a look at the full list below.

Best Picture
"The Big Short"
"Bridge of Spies"
"Brooklyn"
"Mad Max: Fury Road"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Room"
"Spotlight"

Best Director
Adam McKay, "The Big Short"
George Miller, "Mad Max: Fury Road"
Alejandro González Iñárritu, "The Revenant"
Lenny Abrahamson, "Room"
Tom McCarthy, "Spotlight"

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston, "Trumbo"
Matt Damon, "The Martian"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Revenant"
Michael Fassbender, "Steve Jobs"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Danish Girl"

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, "Carol"
Brie Larson, "Room"
Jennifer Lawrence, "Joy"
Charlotte Rampling, "45 Years"
Saoirse Ronan, "Brooklyn"

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, "The Big Short"
Tom Hardy, "The Revenant"
Mark Ruffalo, "Spotlight"
Mark Rylance, "Bridge of Spies"
Sylvester Stallone, "Creed"

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh, "The Hateful Eight"
Rooney Mara, "Carol"
Rachel McAdams, "Spotlight"
Alicia Vikander, "The Danish Girl"
Kate Winslet, "Steve Jobs"

Best Original Screenplay
"Bridge of Spies"
"Ex Machina"
"Inside Out"
"Spotlight"
"Straight Outta Compton"

Best Adapted Screenplay
"The Big Short"
"Brooklyn"
"Carol"
"The Martian"
"Room"

Best Foreign Film
"Embrace of the Serpent"
"Mustang"
"Son of Saul"
"Theeb"
"A War"

Best Documentary Feature
"Amy"
"Cartel Land"
"The Look of Silence"
"What Happened, Miss Simone?"
"Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom"

Best Animated Feature
"Anomalisa"
"Boy and the World"
"Inside Out"
"Shaun the Sheep Movie"
"When Marnie Was There"

Best Film Editing
"The Big Short"
"The Revenant"
"Spotlight"
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

Best Song
"Fifty Shades of Grey"
"Racing Extinction"
"Spectre"
"The Hunting Ground"
"Youth"

Best Original Score
"Bridge of Spies"
"Carol"
"The Hateful Eight"
"Sicario"

Best Digital Effects
"Ex Machina"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"

Best Cinematography
"Carol"
"The Hateful Eight"
"The Revenant"
"Sicario"

Best Costume Design
"Carol"
"Cinderella"
"The Danish Girl"
"The Revenant"

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
"The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared"
"The Revenant"

Best Production Design
"Bridge of Spies"
"The Danish Girl"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"

Best Sound Editing
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Sicario"

Best Sound Mixing
"Bridge of Spies"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"

Best Short Film, Live Action
"Ave Maria"
"Day One"
"Everything Will Be Okay"
"Shok"
"Stutterer"

Best Short Film, Animated
"Bear Story"
"Prologue"
"Sanjay's Super Team"
"We Can't Live Without Cosmos"
"World of Tomorrow"

Best Documentary Short Subject
"Body Team 12"
"Chau, Beyond the Lines"
"Claude Lanzmann"
"A Girl in the River"
"Last Day of Freedom"

webstar1000
01-14-2016, 07:19 AM
I would have loved to see Star Wars with more... it has more positive critic ratings than most of the other movies nominated...

fernandito
01-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Hope Leo can finally take some Award gold home!

Also, has a director ever won back to back Director/BP awards before?? I hope Iñarritu can pull it off!

Viva Mexico cabrones!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1f/1b/f1/1f1bf1951cd6fb5698d96c0e91944f64.jpg

Well I disagree about QT, but I do agree about Hardy and Leo. Especially Hardy, he was amazing in that movie and it might be my favorite performance by an actor this year.

Hardy was amazing in Revenant. Such a gifted actor.

This is definitely Leo's to lose, I think. And The Revenant is all but a lock to win Best Picture, I think. Spotlight a close second, but seems like it's leaning The Revenant's way.

I would be OK with either Revenant or Spotlight winning, both are BP material.

I would have loved to see Star Wars with more... it has more positive critic ratings than most of the other movies nominated...

Star Wars was a fun film, but it wasn't award worthy outside of SFX considerations.

webstar1000
01-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Watching Spotlight this weekend... pretty pumped now.

mae
01-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Cinematography is very interesting because a case could be made for each film, a good case. But it's between The Revenant and Sicario. If the Academy has balls score will go to Sicario, sorry Ennio.

Any huge omissions (hate the word "snub") for y'all? I wanted Ridley Scott to get a nomination and Alicia Vikander for Ex Machina.

webstar1000
01-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Cinematography is very interesting because a case could be made for each film, a good case. But it's between The Revenant and Sicario. If the Academy has balls score will go to Sicario, sorry Ennio.

Any huge omissions (hate the word "snub") for y'all? I wanted Ridley Scott to get a nomination and Alicia Vikander for Ex Machina.

Ex Machine for sure... totally. But I doubt many will consider it a "snub".

webstar1000
01-14-2016, 09:05 AM
I really thought Legend would get some love... Hardy killed it in that too. Deff one of my fav actors out there!

Mattrick
01-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Man. Going to be tough to predict most of these! I've gotten Original screenplay right for five straight years, same with the supporting acting awards. Not as confident this time around.

Still Servant
01-14-2016, 05:53 PM
I usually really look forward to watching the live stream. I was going to try to discretely watch it while at work, but I totally forgot about it until like 10am. It just proves how out of it I've been lately. Anyway, thank you Pablo for posting the stream. I'm going to go back and watch it. Thank you for posting the list as well. I'm going to repost it just so it's in the body of a post and not in the quote section. I will also post it in the first post of the thread.

BEST PICTURE

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Rooney Mara, Carol
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

Lenny Abrahamson - Room
Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN

Carol
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Body Team
Chau, Beyond the Lines
Claude Lanzmann
Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG

"Simple Song #3" - Youth

ANIMATED SHORT

Bear Story
Prologue
Sanjay's Super Team
World of Tomorrow

SOUND MIXING

Bridge of Spies
The Martian
The Revenant

SOUND EDITING

Sicario
The Martian
The Revenant

FILM EDITING

The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Embrace of the Serpent
Mustang
Son of Saul
Theeb
A War

ORIGINAL SCORE

Bridge of Spies
Carol
The Hateful Eight
Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Carol
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

LIVE ACTION SHORT

Ave Maria
Day One
Everything Will Be Okay
Shok
Stutterer

Still Servant
01-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Rules and Past Results:

You have until showtime on February 28, 2016.

This is the seventh year I'm running the Oscar contest. Last year was the first year that Heather didn't win (congrats once again to T-Dogz) so I'm sure she will be out for blood this time around. We had a great turnout last year (11) I'd like to see that again, or maybe even add some contestants.

Rules

Copy the list below and highlight who you think will win (not who you want) and repost it.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget the tie breaker. It's simple: Basically, everybody will submit their choices like usual, except they will also add which film they think will win the most Oscars and give a number. In case of a tie, who ever has the closest number without going over is the winner.

Predictions have to be in by showtime, so there is no rush to post them. We still have a few months until Oscar night. I myself will be waiting for the last possible moment to post my predictions. I still have films to watch, buzz to follow and articles to read.

Remember, these are just educated guesses. None of us have seen every film nominated and I doubt if anybody has seen any of the documentary short subject nominees. Just make an educated guess. Or an uneducated guess.

Past results:

2010 results
Heather - 15
Servant - 14
Turtlex - 14
Cody - 8
Seymour - 8
Odetta - 4

2011 results
Heather - 17
Servant - 15
Path - 14
Mattrick - 14
Ricky - 12
Merlin - 11
Feev - 8

2012 results
Servant - 14
Heather - 14
Ricky - 14
Stockerlone - 12
Shannon - 11
Thorin- 10
Mattrick - 9
Feev - 8
Garrell - 8
Odetta - 5
Mystima - 4

2013 results
Heather - 20
Servant - 17
Ricky - 15
Matt - 14
Stockerlone - 13
Feev - 12
Pablo - 10

2014 results
Heather - 22
Ricky - 20
Servant - 19
Randall - 16
Pablo - 13
Matt - 10
Mystima - 10
Merlin - 7
Stockerlone - 6

2015 results
T-Dogz - 20
George Monkey - 19
Lurker - 19
Ricky - 18
Servant - 17
Feev - 17
Heather - 15
Shannon - 15
Pablo - 13
Stocker - 9
Matt - 6

Mattrick
01-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Did I really do that bad last year? Lol

Still Servant
01-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Did I really do that bad last year? Lol

Yes. Yes you did.

I could post your list if you'd like. :P

Heather19
01-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Last year was tough. I think the year before I only got 1 wrong. But I can say it was a lot more enjoyable watching the show last year and being surprised by who was winning. We'll see if I can make a comeback this year.

Still Servant
01-14-2016, 06:48 PM
We'll see if I can make a comeback this year.

No, let's not.

Heather19
01-14-2016, 06:56 PM
:lol:

Still Servant
01-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Overall, nothing too surprising or upsetting about these nominations. I was hoping for Del Toro to get a Best Supporting nomination, but I knew it wasn't going to happen. The writing was on the wall. Although I haven't seen it, I'm a little bummed Creed didn't get a Best Picture nomination. The most surprising thing for me was that Tarantino didn't get a nomination for Best Screenplay. He's adored by the Academy, and although The Hateful Eight divided people, I still thought he was a lock.

I was really happy to see Mad Max: Fury Road get a Best Picture nomination. I was also pumped to see Hardy get a Best Supporting nom. The early word was that Keaton was going to get nominated for Spotlight, then it sounded like none of the actors would be recognized. Then, all of a sudden, Keaton gets left out but both McAdams and Ruffalo get nominations. Interesting.

I will give my full predictions in a few days.

Ricky
01-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Just watched the nominations. I usually watch live, but wasn't able to this year because of work.

Surprises:

- Lack of Tarantino nominations. I know The Hateful Eight was divisive, but thought it'd at least get a screenplay nomination. But to get left out of screenplay, direction, and best picture? Wow. At least the score was nominated. I really liked that one.

- Spotlight love: liked the movie a lot, but just didn't see any of the acting nominations coming since it was more of an ensemble film. Then again, I thought it was too under-the-radar and "small" for the Academy to view it as BP material.

- Mad Max love: another one I never saw coming. I haven't seen it, but never would've guessed that it would've been nominated.

- Only 8 BP nominees: were there really only 8 films this year that were thought of as the best-of-the-best? I find that hard to believe, especially when the rules allow for up to 10. Carol had a lot of buzz before January, but seems like it's been swept aside now (aside from the acting noms.) in favor of films like Mad Max and The Martian.

Of those nominated, I've only seen Spotlight. Of the other 7, there's not many I'm interested/excited about seeing.

That was surprising to me as well.

This is definitely Leo's to lose, I think. And The Revenant is all but a lock to win Best Picture, I think.

Yeah, it looks that way.

We'll see if I can make a comeback this year.

No, let's not.

:rofl:

EDIT: Also, I think I say it every year, but it's really irritating that it seems like every year after the nominations are revealed, there's a string of black actresses, actors, directors, etc. complaining about the "lack of diversity" in the Oscars and nominations themselves. Everyone's always quick to play the race card. Did they ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, there weren't any performances by black actors or actresses that the Academy deemed award-worthy? It's a contest. They don't hand out nominations or awards just for being black.

Still Servant
01-16-2016, 02:30 PM
- Only 8 BP nominees: were there really only 8 films this year that were thought of as the best-of-the-best? I find that hard to believe, especially when the rules allow for up to 10. Carol had a lot of buzz before January, but seems like it's been swept aside now (aside from the acting noms.) in favor of films like Mad Max and The Martian.

That bugs me too. I'm pretty sure there were two more films deserving of a Best Picture nomination. I understand that it's about a percentage of votes, but I still find it hard to believe there weren't 10 films that had enough votes. I'd love to see the breakdown. If you ask me, if 10 are allowed, I'd nominate 10 every year. Since they went back to nominating 10, there has been only one year where 10 films were nominated.

EDIT: Also, I think I say it every year, but it's really irritating that it seems like every year after the nominations are revealed, there's a string of black actresses, actors, directors, etc. complaining about the "lack of diversity" in the Oscars and nominations themselves. Everyone's always quick to play the race card. Did they ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, there weren't any performances by black actors or actresses that the Academy deemed award-worthy? It's a contest. They don't hand out nominations or awards just for being black.

That's starting to bug me too. The most glaring case is Idris Elba for Beasts of No Nation and maybe Michael B. Jordan for Creed, but the Best Actor is so packed, it's hard to argue with who was nominated. I never looked at Will Smith as a serious contender. The case could be made for Samuel L. Jackson, but the film in general was ignored.

As for African American actresses, I can honestly tell you that I can't think of one deserving performance. I'm sure I'm blanking though.

Shannon
01-16-2016, 08:47 PM
That innkeeper woman in Hateful Eight deserved a nomination! It's an injustice!

*sarcasm

Tommy
01-16-2016, 09:02 PM
Jada Pinkett Smith is talking about boycotting the Oscars now because of no black nominations.

Jada Pinkett Smith Suggests Boycotting Oscars as Host Chris Rock Calls the Show the ‘White BET Awards’ (http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jada-pinkett-smith-contemplates-oscars-boycott-amid-nominations-controversy-chris-rock-calls-show-white-bet-awards-w161837)

webstar1000
01-17-2016, 05:28 AM
Jada Pinkett Smith is talking about boycotting the Oscars now because of no black nominations.

Jada Pinkett Smith Suggests Boycotting Oscars as Host Chris Rock Calls the Show the ‘White BET Awards’ (http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jada-pinkett-smith-contemplates-oscars-boycott-amid-nominations-controversy-chris-rock-calls-show-white-bet-awards-w161837)

Pathetic.

Still Servant
01-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Smith has made enough money and has enough clout that she can be producing, writing and directing her own films. She can then hire as many black actors as possible. Why doesn't she, because she doesn't have the talent. If you can't do anything to change the situation, I don't want to hear it.

Ricky
01-17-2016, 07:41 AM
That innkeeper woman in Hateful Eight deserved a nomination! It's an injustice!

*sarcasm

:rofl:

If you can't do anything to change the situation, I don't want to hear it.

Exactly. Everyone's ready to shout "Injustice!" from the rooftops, but I don't see any black producers, directors, or talent scouts pairing their claims of injustice and lack of equality with saying, "I'm going to change this by hiring more black actors and actresses, thereby giving them a better chance at winning an award!" You know, part of me thinks that the black members of the film industry that are complaining almost hope that no black people are nominated just so they can complain.

Tommy
01-18-2016, 12:29 AM
For many, there is an addictive quickening, a thrive that comes from indignation.

Tommy
01-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Spike Lee has joined the boycott. I think we are in for one heck of an awkward Oscars this year:

Spike Lee, Jada Pinkett Smith Call for Oscar Boycott (http://variety.com/2016/film/awards/spike-lee-jada-pinkett-smith-oscar-boycott-1201682165/)

fernandito
01-18-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm sick of Spike Lee and all his fucking complaining.

fernandito
01-18-2016, 10:40 AM
I was hoping for Del Toro to get a Best Supporting nomination, but I knew it wasn't going to happen...
Me too. Such a powerful, enigmatic presence.

Maybe I should boycott the Oscars.

I was really happy to see Mad Max: Fury Road get a Best Picture nomination.
It bugs me that MM gets brushed off by many as being "just a blockbuster". I watched it again just a few days ago and it reaffirmed what I already knew, that it is a superbly crafted film which trapezes the line between art house and blockbuster.

Ricky
01-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Looks like Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith won't be attending/watching the Oscars. Boo hoo.

T-Dogz_AK47
01-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Idris Elba has decided to jump on the bandwagon. Here in the UK, he's moaning about the lack of diversity in the media....

http://europe.newsweek.com/idris-elba-urges-mps-tackle-lack-diversity-british-media-416917 (http://europe.newsweek.com/idris-elba-urges-mps-tackle-lack-diversity-british-media-416917)

FFS!!!

Still Servant
01-18-2016, 04:53 PM
I was hoping for Del Toro to get a Best Supporting nomination, but I knew it wasn't going to happen...
Me too. Such a powerful, enigmatic presence.

Maybe I should boycott the Oscars.

I was really happy to see Mad Max: Fury Road get a Best Picture nomination.
It bugs me that MM gets brushed off by many as being "just a blockbuster". I watched it again just a few days ago and it reaffirmed what I already knew, that it is a superbly crafted film which trapezes the line between art house and blockbuster.

You make a good point though. I don't hear other minority groups complaining when they aren't represented well. Also, I totally agree with what you said about Fury Road.

Idris Elba has decided to jump on the bandwagon. Here in the UK, he's moaning about the lack of diversity in the media....

http://europe.newsweek.com/idris-elba-urges-mps-tackle-lack-diversity-british-media-416917 (http://europe.newsweek.com/idris-elba-urges-mps-tackle-lack-diversity-british-media-416917)

FFS!!!

Elba's problem is that he made a film with Netflix that got ignored because of it. It has nothing to with the color of his skin. It's just business. Also, the track record with African Americans has been pretty decent in recent years. Octavia Spencer won a few years back, as did Lupita Nyong'o. There have a been a bunch of other nominations as well, including Qwizwhateverhername Wallis and Viola Davis.

As for Spike Lee, he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Oscars after what he did to Oldboy.

Merlin1958
01-18-2016, 04:57 PM
I believe I shall be deciding the winners this year!!!!!

Long Live the Supreme Ruler & Crimson King!!!!

Still Servant
01-18-2016, 05:04 PM

Somehow Heather will still win.

Tommy
01-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Spike should give back the honorary Oscar he received last year.

Merlin1958
01-18-2016, 06:19 PM

Somehow Heather will still win.

Sigh, you have a very good point. However, if she does I have the option to remove her head!!! LOL

Tommy
01-19-2016, 05:26 AM
I always did like the original Aunt Viv better:

'Aunt Viv' Janet Hubert calls out Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith over Oscars boycott (http://theweek.com/speedreads/599996/aunt-viv-janet-hubert-calls-smith-jada-pinkett-smith-over-oscars-boycott)

Ricky
01-19-2016, 07:41 AM
At least someone knocked them down a peg or two.

Heather19
01-20-2016, 04:27 PM
Mike I hope you don't mind, but I updated your first post to include both live action short and sound mixing.

needfulthings
01-20-2016, 05:17 PM

'Aunt Viv' Janet Hubert calls out Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith over Oscars boycott (http://theweek.com/speedreads/599996/aunt-viv-janet-hubert-calls-smith-jada-pinkett-smith-over-oscars-boycott)
Sometimes you have to pay for your sins.
http://imageshack.com/a/img910/2428/2M4oGs.jpg

Tommy
01-20-2016, 11:48 PM

Sometimes you have to pay for your sins.
http://imageshack.com/a/img910/2428/2M4oGs.jpg

HA! I think we are ALL paying for that particular sin right now.

Mattrick
01-21-2016, 04:36 AM
So sick of race talk with the oscars. You know who never complains about poor representation? The Asian community. There are far fewer choice roles for asians. Has an asian been nominated for an acting award since Watanabe for The Last Samurai? I dont think so. Outside of Ang Lee, what Asians have awards?

The Smiths and Spike Lee should be disavowed by the academy. Goddamn cry babies. I am so tired of The Oscars being treated like some great catalyst of social progression, like if a few black people won some awards the entire black community with take some leap forward. It's happened before and no leap happened. You know why you weren't nominated Will Smith? Because doing an oscar bait role does not mean you automatically get nominated. Buck up Fresh Prince, there's always next year, so silence.

Tommy
01-21-2016, 04:49 AM
I hope Will Smith gets nominated for The Suicide Squad otherwise the world may end. And Spike, how can you accept an honorary award one year and then declare the whole establishment as racist the next?

T-Dogz_AK47
01-21-2016, 01:15 PM
I don't see Spike Lee boycotting the BET awards due to a lack of "flava". When it's an award ceremony entirely full of blacks - that's okay, diversity isn't required! :rolleyes:

Mattrick
01-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Such boycotts and racism accusations merely serve to devalue the next black nominee. Idiots.

Still Servant
01-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Mike I hope you don't mind, but I updated your first post to include both live action short and sound mixing.

Not at all! Good catch, thank you.

I'm blaming ABC News for that one. I just copied and pasted what they posted. I should know better to trust them. :lol:

Ricky
01-22-2016, 08:09 AM
Michael Caine on Oscars: 'You can't vote for an actor because he's black' (http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/22/oscars-michael-caine)

Charlotte Rampling says call for Oscars diversity is 'racist against whites' (http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/22/oscars-charlotte-rampling-reverse-racism)

Tommy
01-22-2016, 08:19 AM
For one thing, if the Academy were truly racist, I would think that a black boycott would secretly be to their liking. I've seen it pointed at that a much better approach would be for every black actor in Hollywood, whether invited or not, should show up.

Another thing is, if it were me and I got nominated or won after all this, I would always wonder in the back of my mind whether I truly earned this award or if I was given it as a token offering.

The whole thing is very baffling to me.

Ricky
01-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Some pics. of the Dolby I took when I was in LA this summer. I wanted to do the tour but we got there after they were closed for the day. So close, yet so far! Took the Warner Bros. studio tour, though, and got to hold a real Oscar (from 1957) so that made up for it.

Outside:

http://i66.tinypic.com/v3elat.jpg

Inside:

http://i63.tinypic.com/14ybc5y.jpg

Merlin1958
01-22-2016, 06:36 PM
I predict that, Leo will win this year (The Revenant) for the standard academy reason: "We really should have given this guy one of these two, three or four films ago"!!!! IMHO, "The Revenant" was not that great a film or role for him. It was a good film, but not compared to other performances he has provided.

Still Servant
01-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Some pics. of the Dolby I took when I was in LA this summer. I wanted to do the tour but we got there after they were closed for the day. So close, yet so far! Took the Warner Bros. studio tour, though, and got to hold a real Oscar (from 1957) so that made up for it.

Outside:

http://i66.tinypic.com/v3elat.jpg

Inside:

http://i63.tinypic.com/14ybc5y.jpg

And you're just posting these now because........

Ricky
01-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Ha! I think I meant to back in August, but was just looking through my pictures and the Oscar thread reminded me. Unfortunately, my camera battery died just before I got to hold the Oscar (which is much heavier than I imagined it'd be).

Tommy
01-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Ice Cube on Oscars: ‘You Can’t Boycott Something You Never Went To’ (http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/ice-cube-oscars-boycott-straight-outta-compton-1201686598/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3LGAgM32_E

I love Ice Cube :thumbsup:

Oscar-Winning Producer Denounces "Spoiled Brats" Crying "Racism" (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscar-winning-producer-denounces-spoiled-858207)

mae
01-23-2016, 05:19 AM
That was awesome, thanks for posting that clip. I'll be nominating my favorite Ice Cube song in the music tournament next :)

Still Servant
01-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Ha! I think I meant to back in August, but was just looking through my pictures and the Oscar thread reminded me. Unfortunately, my camera battery died just before I got to hold the Oscar (which is much heavier than I imagined it'd be).

What else did you do while you were in L.A.? My sister and I have wanted to go there for a while.

Ricky
01-23-2016, 03:27 PM
I went for my Wheel of Fortune taping (so there wasn't much time to do a lot of planning since you only get two weeks notice) but aside from that we did the Warner Brothers studio tour/museum (which was amazing), Walk of Fame, Grauman's theater, Santa Monica pier, Venice Beach (which is Crazytown, USA), and some general walking around whatever area we stumbled across. I think I posted this in another thread over the summer, but the Walk of Fame/Grauman's theater area was a huge disappointment. It's so trashy. You'd think it'd be a classy/upscale area since it's the epicenter of Oscars night, but it's immediately clear why they shut down the area and put up huge curtains over everything: e-cigarette stores, dumpy souvenir places, and people smoking pot on the street surround the place. Think Times Square, but worse.

Still Servant
01-23-2016, 07:47 PM
I went for my Wheel of Fortune taping.

Woah, woah, woah. Back it up. You were on Wheel of Fortune?

Ricky
01-23-2016, 09:55 PM
Where have you been?! I posted all about it in the IYMRN thread. :lol:

Tried out in June, final audition in July, taped later that month, and it aired in October.

Still Servant
01-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Where have you been?! I posted all about it in the IYMRN thread. :lol:

Tried out in June, final audition in July, taped later that month, and it aired in October.

Damn! That's awesome though! How'd you do?

I don't stray much from End World, to be honest.

If we were friends on Facebook, this never would have happened. :cry:

Ricky
01-24-2016, 01:46 PM
I'm not on Facebook (fight the power!), but we can be friends here! :lol:

And I got $12,910 in cash/prizes (about half that amount was a trip to Savannah).

Still Servant
01-24-2016, 05:31 PM
I'm not on Facebook (fight the power!), but we can be friends here! :lol:

I know. I remember you saying it wasn't your thing and we will always be friends here. :thumbsup: I do find it funny how a guy who has a picture of himself on Word Press holding a diploma in front of his face like he is Mr. Wilson from Home Improvement goes on national TV. :lol:

And I got $12,910 in cash/prizes (about half that amount was a trip to Savannah).

That's great! I'm happy for you. I'm sorry I missed it. That would have been really fun to watch. I'm more of a Jeopardy guy, but I would have loved to see you on the Wheel. Also, is Vanna White as pretty in person as she is on TV?

Ricky
01-24-2016, 06:13 PM
I know. I remember you saying it wasn't your thing and we will always be friends here. :thumbsup: I do find it funny how a guy who has a picture of himself on Word Press holding a diploma in front of his face like he is Mr. Wilson from Home Improvement goes on national TV. :lol:

Haha. I know. "Hidy-Ho, neighbor!" :lol:

That's great! I'm happy for you. I'm sorry I missed it. That would have been really fun to watch. I'm more of a Jeopardy guy, but I would have loved to see you on the Wheel. Also, is Vanna White as pretty in person as she is on TV?

It's funny you mention Vanna because as we were all gathered around the wheel for practice spins, there were some gasps and laughter from the other contestants and as I looked around, I saw a woman standing behind the Wheel, wishing everyone good luck. Everyone else already seemed to know who she was, but it didn’t click for me until she gave the advice to “buy vowels” that I realized it was Vanna. She was wearing plain jeans and long-sleeved shirt, hair in a bun, and had just stopped by to say hi on her way to the make-up room. So yeah, I definitely didn't recognize her without make-up, but she looks good!

And speaking of Jeopardy, I'm taking the online test (for try-outs) on Tuesday! I've taken it a few times and it's ridiculous (harder than the show, in my opinion) so I'm not expecting anything to come out of it. It's just fun to see how you do.

fernandito
01-25-2016, 08:53 AM

What else did you do while you were in L.A.? My sister and I have wanted to go there for a while.
Lmk if you guys decide to make the trip out here, I'll show you guys around.

Still Servant
01-25-2016, 06:59 PM

Lmk if you guys decide to make the trip out here, I'll show you guys around.

You'll be the first guy I call. Believe me.

mae
01-29-2016, 01:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLkxPcrJUoQ

Still Servant
01-29-2016, 03:40 PM
I love Screen Junkies, but some of these are just odd. How anybody could leave Tom Hardy out of the Best Supporting is beyond me.

The woman with seeds in Fury Road? Give me a break.

Heather19
02-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Finally got in to see the animated shorts yesterday. They were hit and miss. I loved Bear Story and really hope this one wins. My least favorite was easily World of Tomorrow. The animation was so minimal and basic, and the story was somewhat boring. Russia's entry We Can't Live Without Cosmos was pretty entertaining. And might be my second favorite out of the nominated ones. Pixar's entry Sanjay's Super Team was ok, but nothing extraordinary. And for the last one Prologue, I loved the artwork in this one. It was all pencil drawings which I'm very partial too. I also really enjoyed If I Was God, and wish this one had been nominated in place of some of the others.

mae
02-08-2016, 07:11 AM
I love love love "World of Tomorrow"!

mae
02-18-2016, 12:35 AM
Showtime's soon, we all should be starting to post our predictions, no?

With that in mind, here's one surefire lock :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiMko7g2TrE

Still Servant
02-18-2016, 04:37 PM

Yeah, usually we have a few early birds by now. Maybe some people are holding off. I myself wait until the last possible minute.

Ricky
02-18-2016, 04:45 PM
I still haven't seen anything aside from Spotlight. The nominees just don't have me excited this year.

Heather19
02-18-2016, 06:10 PM
I'd highly recommend The Revenant. I'm dying to see both Room and Brooklyn but I have to wait for the dvds.

Lookwhoitis
02-18-2016, 06:23 PM
I've seen all the best picture noms except for Brooklyn.

I enjoyed Room, Spotlight, and The Big Short, but I dont see how anything is going to beat the Revenant. Prepare for another Innaritu (deserved) winfest, just like last year.

Still Servant
02-18-2016, 06:49 PM
I'd highly recommend The Revenant. I'm dying to see both Room and Brooklyn but I have to wait for the dvds.

Of course after I found and watched Room "by other means" it opens up at the cheap theater near my sister. :doh:

Brooklyn, The Danish Girl and Carol are all at a theater near me, but I just don't have the time.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-20-2016, 03:51 PM

Yeah, usually we have a few early birds by now. Maybe some people are holding off. I myself wait until the last possible minute.

Why is that?

Still Servant
02-22-2016, 06:00 PM

Why is that?

Why do I wait until the last possible moment to make my predictions? My answer is two-fold:

1) I like to research as much as I can about the nominees in all the categories. I read a bunch of articles, mainly from magazines I subscribe to. Also, certain trends develop at the last moment sometimes. Every once in a while a film takes off or an actor gains steam. In some cases, I'm cramming (meaning I'm watching films that are nominated or films with actors nominated).

2) I'm a procrastinator by nature.

Lurker
02-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Well, I guess someone has to go first. I don't feel as good about these as last year - but I have a few days so I can still change my mind. I think several of these are really close.

BEST PICTURE
The Revenant

BEST ACTOR

BEST ACTRESS
Brie Larson, Room

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

DIRECTING

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Inside Out

COSTUME DESIGN
Carol

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Amy

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

ORIGINAL SONG

ANIMATED SHORT
World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING
The Revenant

SOUND MIXING
The Revenant

FILM EDITING

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Son of Saul

ORIGINAL SCORE
The Hateful Eight

PRODUCTION DESIGN

VISUAL EFFECTS
The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Big Short

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Spotlight

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Revenant

LIVE ACTION SHORT
Day One

Revenant - seven

Still Servant
02-24-2016, 04:42 PM
I did my first draft of my predictions and they are very similar to yours.

Mattrick
02-26-2016, 05:07 PM
FOR THE WIN!!!! Anything in brackets is what I would vote for.

Best Picture
- The Revenant (Room)

Best Actor
- LEEEOOOOOOOOO

Best Actress
- Brie Larsen

Best Supporting Actor
- Sylvester Stallone (Mark Ruffalo)

Best Supporting Actress
- Jennifer Jason Leigh (Rooney Mara)

Directing
- Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenant (George Miller)

Animated Film
- Inside Out

Costume Design
- The Danish Girl (Mad Max)

Documentary Feature
- The Look of Silence

Documentary Short
- A Girl In the River: The Price of Forgiveness

Make-up and hairstyling
- Mad Max

Original Song
- Manta Ray

Animated short
- Bear Story

Sound Editing
- Mad Max

Sound Mixing
- Mad MAx

Film Editing
- The Revenant (Spotlight)

Foreign Language Film
- Son of Saul

Original Score (what a poor category this year!)
- Hateful 8 (MAD FUCKING MAX)

Production Design
- Mad Max

Visual Effects
- Mad Max

Adapted Screenplay (what a loaded category this year...both screenplay cats are!)
- Room

Original Screenplay
- Spotlight (Ex Machina)

Best Cinematography
- The Revenant (Mad Max)

Live Action Short
- Ave Maria

Hopefully I can edit my picks for screenplay as I am still so unsure of what will win!

EDIT - Tiebreaker Mad MAx: Fury Road 6 Oscars

Merlin1958
02-26-2016, 05:17 PM
I really dislike, "Oscars" trend to snubbing an actor for an award he should have won, and then kind of making up for it after the fact. As in the case of (among others), Leo. He should have won for, "Titanic", Wolf" or even "The Aviator", but they "make up" for it after the fact. Not cool, academy. "The Revenant" was a good, but not "Great" film, but he will likely win anyway.

Mattrick
02-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Oh, and for all the awards that are a crapshoot (docs/shorts), I literally asked my friends kids to pick numbers out of five. Hopefully they picked right.

Lurker
02-26-2016, 05:27 PM
I really dislike, "Oscars" trend to snubbing an actor for an award he should have won, and then kind of making up for it after the fact. As in the case of (among others), Leo. He should have won for, "Titanic", Wolf" or even "The Aviator", but they "make up" for it after the fact. Not cool, academy. "The Revenant" was a good, but not "Great" film, but he will likely win anyway.

Yeah, I keep thinking they may give it to Charlotte Rampling after all these years of ignoring her.

Mattrick
02-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Most egregious example of that was Return of the King. Fellowship was the only one who deserved all them oscar, and Return of the King was the least deserving.

Still Servant
02-26-2016, 06:49 PM

I agree with Wolf and I will add in Django Unchained, for which he wasn't even nominated, but I don't think he should have won for Titanic. As for The Aviator, I feel Jamie Foxx was more than deserving.

Here are my unofficial Oscar picks and comments. They are subject to change.

My Oscar Picks 2016 (http://popculturedmoviemi.wix.com/popculturedmoviemike#!My-Oscar-Picks-2016/cdp6/56d0f3aa0cf26bd1d3f0e207)

Ricky
02-26-2016, 07:12 PM

I agree, Bill. I think that when an actor/actress does well in a movie but it's not AMAZING, they'll factor into past performances as well. It's not really fair, but you can't really police everyone to make sure their opinions on the best performance is based only on this year's performance.

I remember some talk about it when Jeff Bridges won for Crazy Heart a few years back.

Also, me and my friend are doing an Oscar marathon for BP-nominated movies tomorrow, so by Oscar night I'll have (hopefully) seen everything but Brooklyn and Room.

mae
02-27-2016, 04:21 AM
Some of these are more on the side if going with my heart rather than my brain, but what the heck:

BEST PICTURE

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Rooney Mara, Carol
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenan
Lenny Abrahamson - Room
Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN

Carol
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Body Team
Chau, Beyond the Lines
Claude Lanzmann
Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG

"Simple Song #3" - Youth

ANIMATED SHORT

Bear Story
Prologue
Sanjay's Super Team
World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING

Sicario
The Martian
The Revenant

SOUND MIXING

Bridge of Spies
The Martian
The Revenant

FILM EDITING

The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Embrace of the Serpent
Mustang
Son of Saul
Theeb
A War

ORIGINAL SCORE

Bridge of Spies
Carol
The Hateful Eight
Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Carol
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

LIVE ACTION SHORT

Ave Maria
Day One
Everything Will Be Okay
Shok
Stutterer

Tiebreaker: 5 (Mad Max: Fury Road)

Stockerlone
02-27-2016, 10:21 AM
This year, NO massive research about the nominees in all the categories.....

BEST PICTURE

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Rooney Mara, Carol
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

Lenny Abrahamson - Room
Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN

Carol
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Body Team
Chau, Beyond the Lines
Claude Lanzmann
Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG

"Simple Song #3" - Youth

ANIMATED SHORT

Bear Story
Prologue
Sanjay's Super Team
World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING

Sicario
The Martian
The Revenant

SOUND MIXING

Bridge of Spies
The Martian
The Revenant

FILM EDITING

The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Embrace of the Serpent
Mustang
Son of Saul
Theeb
A War

ORIGINAL SCORE

Bridge of Spies
Carol
The Hateful Eight
Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Carol
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

LIVE ACTION SHORT

Ave Maria
Day One
Everything Will Be Okay
Shok
Stutterer

Tiebreaker 5 The Revenant

mae
02-27-2016, 10:58 AM
After thinking about it some more I've adjusted my picks slightly. Really wanted to go for Sicario for cinematography but I think The Revenant gets it still. Took costumes away from The Revenant and went with Fury Road. And my heart is with Anomalisa but I know Inside Out will win Best Animated Film.

Mattrick
02-27-2016, 10:17 PM
Changed my pick for original screenplay to Spotlight. I still think adapted will go to Room or Brooklyn, especially Room which was said to be unfilmable, and the Academy has a history of rewarding such movies like Life of Pi.

Lurker
02-28-2016, 05:29 AM
I keep thinking Spotlight might nab Best Picture but I changed my mind last year and was wrong - so I guess I'll just stay as is...

Heather19
02-28-2016, 07:01 AM
BEST PICTURE
The Revenant

BEST ACTOR

BEST ACTRESS
Brie Larson, Room

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

DIRECTING

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Big Short

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Inside Out

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Son of Saul

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Amy

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Body Team 12

ANIMATED SHORT
Bear Story

LIVE ACTION SHORT
Shok

FILM EDITING

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

PRODUCTION DESIGN

COSTUME DESIGN

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

ORIGINAL SONG

ORIGINAL SCORE
The Hateful Eight

SOUND EDITING

BEST SOUND MIXING
The Revenant

Tiebreaker - Mad Max: Fury Road 6

Mattrick
02-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Also changed score to hateful 8 despite not hearing it.

Still Servant
02-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Tonight is the night. I'm really hoping T-Dogz submits his picks. He's Heather kryptonite.

BEST PICTURE

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Rooney Mara, Carol
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

Lenny Abrahamson - Room
Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN

Carol
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Body Team 12
Chau, Beyond the Lines
Claude Lanzmann
Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG

"Simple Song #3" - Youth

ANIMATED SHORT

Bear Story
Prologue
Sanjay's Super Team
World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING

Sicario
The Martian
The Revenant

SOUND MIXING

Bridge of Spies
The Martian
The Revenant

FILM EDITING

The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Embrace of the Serpent
Mustang
Son of Saul
Theeb
A War

ORIGINAL SCORE

Bridge of Spies
Carol
The Hateful Eight
Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Carol
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

LIVE ACTION SHORT

Ave Maria
Day One
Everything Will Be Okay
Shok
Stutterer

Mad Max: Fury Road - 7

Still Servant
02-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Only 6 entries so far. There's still time though.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-28-2016, 04:00 PM
Okay, here are my predictions for this year's Oscars. Underneath each selection, I have included what I think actually deserves to win...

BEST PICTURE

What will win: Spotlight

What deserves to win: Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

What will win: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant

What deserves to win: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant

BEST ACTRESS

What will win: Brie Larson, Room

What deserves to win: Brie Larson, Room

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

What will win: Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies

What deserves to win: Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

What will win: Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

What deserves to win: Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

DIRECTING

What will win: Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenant

What deserves to win: George Miller - Mad Max: Fury Road

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

What will win: Inside Out

What deserves to win: Inside Out

COSTUME DESIGN

What will win: Mad Max: Fury Road

What deserves to win: Cinderella

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

What will win: Amy

What deserves to win: Amy

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

What will win: Body Team 12

What deserves to win: Claude Lanzmann

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

What deserves to win: Mad Max: Fury Road

ORIGINAL SONG

What will win: "Til It Happens to You" - The Hunting Ground

What deserves to win: "Til It Happens to You" - The Hunting Ground

ANIMATED SHORT

What will win: Sanjay's Super Team

What deserves to win: World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING

SOUND MIXING

What will win: The Revenant

FILM EDITING

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

What will win: Son of Saul

What deserves to win: Embrace of the Serpent

ORIGINAL SCORE

What will win: The Hateful Eight

What deserves to win: The Hateful Eight

PRODUCTION DESIGN

VISUAL EFFECTS

What will win: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

What will win: The Big Short

What deserves to win: The Big Short

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

What will win: Spotlight

What deserves to win: Spotlight

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

What will win: The Revenant

What deserves to win: The Revenant

LIVE ACTION SHORT

What will win: Ave Maria

What deserves to win: Shok

Tiebreaker:

Mad Max: Fury Road will win 5 Oscars (all technical).

Ricky
02-28-2016, 04:03 PM
BEST PICTURE

Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

BEST ACTRESS

Brie Larson, Room

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Inside Out

COSTUME DESIGN

The Danish Girl

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Amy

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Body Team 12

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

ORIGINAL SONG

ANIMATED SHORT

Sanjay's Super Team

SOUND EDITING

Sicario

SOUND MIXING

FILM EDITING

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Son of Saul

ORIGINAL SCORE

The Hateful Eight

PRODUCTION DESIGN

The Danish Girl

VISUAL EFFECTS

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Big Short

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Spotlight

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

The Revenant

LIVE ACTION SHORT

Stutterer

Tie-breaker: Mad Mad: Fury Road - 4

Still Servant
02-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Feev no show again. :(

Still Servant
02-28-2016, 05:41 PM
The Players

Servant
Lurker
Matt
Pablo
Stocker
Heather
TDogz
Ricky

Mattrick
02-28-2016, 05:47 PM
ONE POINT! BYAH

Mattrick
02-28-2016, 05:55 PM
FEEVS WHY U NO PLEY?

Was surprised Big Short got adapted screenplay. Both categories were stacked, though.

Still Servant
02-28-2016, 06:17 PM
He's probably at some fancy Oscar party with a bunch of big-time actors. Lucky.

Mattrick
02-28-2016, 06:22 PM
I can never get costumes right. Mad Max was my favourite, and of course, that never wins me this pick, so I went with the period piece which always wins, and it doesn't. Academy purposely screws me.

Mattrick
02-28-2016, 07:40 PM
My friend's kids who picked all the shorts/doc categories are 2/2! I'm doing well so far this year.

Still Servant
02-28-2016, 08:20 PM
I just realized that "Mr. I Watch More Movies Than You" AKA Shannon was a no show as well.

Mattrick
02-28-2016, 08:51 PM
I might have a shot at winning. Would be awesome.

mae
02-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Wow a big upset!

Tommy
02-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Wow a big upset!

It seemed like Morgan Freeman was a bit shocked by it or was I just imaging things again?

Still Servant
02-28-2016, 09:37 PM
Well, another Oscar night is in the books. I will refrain from commenting on the show at the moment, for it is late and I must be up early. We had a decent turn out this year and I thank all that participated. I wish we could have had more enter the contest, but what are you going to do? It was really close this year. On to the winner...

...actually we have a tie. Heather and I tied with 17. However, since Heather picked Mad Max to win 6 awards and I picked Mad Max to win 7, Heather is the official winner. Congrats!

Heather - 17 (winner by tiebreaker - Mad Max 6)
Servant - 17
Pablo - 16
T-Dogz - 16
Ricky - 15
Matt - 15
Lurker - 14
Stocker - 8

Please check your own cards. It's super late. I will see you all tomorrow to discuss the show. Good night and we'll see you at the movies.

Lookwhoitis
02-28-2016, 09:39 PM
Uhh, didnt Mad Max win 6?

Lookwhoitis
02-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Stoked to see Mad Max win so many awards. I thought George Miller had a shot at it, but Revenant was just too much of a directorial feat.

Mad Max was definitely one of the best films I have seen all year.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-28-2016, 09:51 PM
I'm glad that I called it wrong and that Spotlight won Best Picture. It is by far, the superior film. I'm also glad that something, ANYTHING other than that CGI monstrosity Star Wars won Best Visual Effects. Sometimes being wrong, can be so relieving! LOL! LOL! :D

However, I thought Sam Smith's SPECTRE win for Best Song was a poor choice. The song is quite frankly, bollocks and nowhere near as good as Adele's Skyfall! WTF!!!! :wtf:

Congratulations to everyone who participated and a big congratulations to Heather and Still Servant for their joint wins!!! :clap:

Tommy
02-28-2016, 09:55 PM
However, I thought Sam Smith's SPECTRE win for Best Song was a poor choice. The song is quite frankly, bollocks and nowhere near as good as Adele's Skyfall! WTF!!!! :wtf:

That was the first time I heard that song and I like Sam Smith a lot but that song, to me, was horrible. I was shocked that it won.

mae
02-28-2016, 10:04 PM
They must have given it just based on the fact it's a Bond song. And yes it was terrible. Shocked to see Spotlight win BP. Everyone had The Revenant as the lock. It's disgusting that World of Tomorrow didn't win best short. It's one of the best animated shorts of all time.

mae
02-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Gah, I could have tied for the win, but I went with Miller for Director after having AGI from the get go. Changed it on the day of. Fuck.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-28-2016, 10:09 PM
They must have given it just based on the fact it's a Bond song. And yes it was terrible. Shocked to see Spotlight win BP. Everyone had The Revenant as the lock. It's disgusting that World of Tomorrow didn't win best short. It's one of the best animated shorts of all time.

World of Tomorrow certainly was the deserving winner in that category! :thumbsup:

Tommy
02-28-2016, 10:10 PM
I will have to check World of Tomorrow out.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Gah, I could have tied for the win, but I went with Miller for Director after having AGI from the get go. Changed it on the day of. Fuck.

I know how you feel, I've been harping on about Spotlight being the best film of 2015 for ages, but picked The Revenant purely because of it's perceived hype and momentum. If I had listened to my gut, instead of the press, I also could have tied. :doh:

mae
02-28-2016, 10:29 PM
I will have to check World of Tomorrow out.

It's on Netflix, and it's awesome.

Mattrick
02-29-2016, 12:16 AM
What killed me was Ex Machina winning visual effects and going against my gut for costume. Biggest surprise of the night was Mark Ryalance.

mae
02-29-2016, 12:23 AM
What killed me was Ex Machina winning visual effects and going against my gut for costume. Biggest surprise of the night was Mark Ryalance.

I was pretty confident Ex Machina was winning the effects. They were astounding if sparse. For costume I was going to go with The Revenant but upon further reflection decided Fury Road had pretty unique costumes. Supporting actor was a surprise indeed, but I think that was a great performance. Well deserved.

Heather19
02-29-2016, 05:49 AM
Well, another Oscar night is in the books. I will refrain from commenting on the show at the moment, for it is late and I must be up early. We had a decent turn out this year and I thank all that participated. I wish we could have had more enter the contest, but what are you going to do? It was really close this year. On to the winner...

...actually we have a tie. Heather and I tied with 17. However, since I picked Mad Max to win 7 awards and Heather picked Mad Max to win 6, I'm the official winner. In reality, we tied though.

Servant - 17
Heather - 17
Pablo - 16
T-Dogz - 16
Ricky - 15
Matt - 15
Lurker - 14
Stocker - 8

Please check your own cards. It's super late. I will see you all tomorrow to discuss the show. Good night and we'll see you at the movies.

:rock: There were a number of surprises for me again this year, I thought for sure that I was out of it. We all did pretty similar though.

It did, but that's ok, I'll take the tie with Mike :)

World of Tomorrow certainly was the deserving winner in that category! :thumbsup:

I couldn't disagree with you guys more. Have you seen Bear Story? It was hands down the best of the bunch, in my opinion. It was a beautiful little film. The animation was wonderful and it had a good story. I was not a fan of World of Tomorrow. The story was ok at best, but the animation sucked. It was so basic, and if we're judging on animation I definitely don't think it deserved the win. I was so worried it would go to that one, so needless to say I was very excited when Bear Story won. I'm curious if you guys have seen it, and if so what you thought of it.

I really wish they would start the awards earlier, it seems like in recent years they've pushed it back a bit. And I can never make it to the end because I have to get up super early for work the next day. I dvr'd it so I'll watch the end when I get home. I was very glad to hear that Leo finally won. But I was shocked that The Revenant didn't get best picture. I haven't seen Spotlight yet though, so I'll comment on it once I see more of the nominated films.

I can't believe song went to Writings on the Wall. That song was terrible. I haven't heard all the others, but I imagine one of them had to have been better than that one.

The other big surprise for me was Ex Machina winning visual effects. But I am happy it won. It was definitely deserving of it.

Lookwhoitis
02-29-2016, 07:50 AM

I was pretty confident Ex Machina was winning the effects. They were astounding if sparse. For costume I was going to go with The Revenant but upon further reflection decided Fury Road had pretty unique costumes. Supporting actor was a surprise indeed, but I think that was a great performance. Well deserved.

concur

Lookwhoitis
02-29-2016, 07:52 AM

Lol but wasnt that the tie breaker? the correct number of wins without going over? If he picked 7 he went over and you won because you picked 6, lol :D

T-Dogz_AK47
02-29-2016, 08:18 AM

Lol but wasnt that the tie breaker? the correct number of wins without going over? If he picked 7 he went over and you won because you picked 6, lol :D

However, Still Servant did correctly predict Best Picture, which is the most important award in the entire ceremony. In this instance, I think an honourable tie for joint first place is fair. :smile:

Lookwhoitis
02-29-2016, 09:15 AM

However, Still Servant did correctly predict Best Picture, which is the most important award in the entire ceremony. In this instance, I think an honourable tie for joint first place is fair. :smile:

LOL :D do you award your NCAA Tournement bracket $ in this way? ROFL

here is a statement:

On to the winner...

...actually we have a tie. Heather and I tied with 17. However, since I picked Mad Max to win 7 awards and Heather picked Mad Max to win 6, I'm the official winner. In reality, we tied though.

That statement is incorrect. In according to the logic of that statement, Heather wins!

She is the official winner. Heather picked 6.

Lookwhoitis
02-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Mad Max got screwed.

Too bad Kiddie-fiddlin' Priests is more socially conscious that Water rights and ensemble Drama trumps well done genre every time...

Revenant really screwed it up for Mad Max. It was a cinematic feat accomplished on the level that Mad Max was.

Either one of those should have won over Spotlight (which i did see and thought it was a good film as well)

Stockerlone
02-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Stocker - 8
:arg: luckily i was right in the major categories.

fernandito
02-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Damn. Sorry guys, I procrastinated with my picks and in the end I didn't have enough time to log onto a computer and submit them. Glad you guys had fun participating.

Shocked to see Spotlight win BP. Everyone had The Revenant as the lock.

Not really. I've been following the various awards (Director's Guild, Actor's Guild, etc.) and both Revenant and Spotlight took turns taking the top honor home. It was 50/50 for me.

fernandito
02-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Mad Max got screwed.

Too bad Kiddie-fiddlin' Priests is more socially conscious that Water rights and ensemble Drama trumps well done genre every time...

Revenant really screwed it up for Mad Max. It was a cinematic feat accomplished on the level that Mad Max was.

Either one of those should have won over Spotlight (which i did see and thought it was a good film as well)

The craft in both Mad Max and Revenant are light years beyond Spotlight, but the Academy has a tendency to vote for 'important' films. That's just the way it is.

Tommy
02-29-2016, 09:43 AM
All three of those movies have an 8.2 on IMDB. Interesting.... :orely:

Still Servant
02-29-2016, 04:02 PM
My bad Heather, like I said, it was late. For some reason, I thought Mad Max won 7. They won six, which is what you picked for a tiebreaker, thus you are the winner by tiebreaker. Congrats!

I actually realized my error while talking to a co-worker this morning, but didn't get a chance to correct it until I got home.

Heather19
02-29-2016, 04:53 PM
No worries, I don't mind a tie.

Also here's Bear Story, for those that have not seen it. I found it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSa1iOb1-c

Still Servant
02-29-2016, 05:00 PM
No worries, I don't mind a tie.

I do. This isn't soccer.

:nope:

Still Servant
02-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Like many of us here, I really look forward to Oscar night. I try to watch as many films as I can, I read countless articles and I have some really great conversations with some of you fine folks. I know it’s silly and stupid to care so much about some arbitrary award being given to rich, privileged people, but Oscar night is something I’ve cherished since I was a kid. I have fond memories of watching the show with my family growing up.

With all that being said, I wasn’t looking forward to last night’s show. I knew the whole race issue was going to cast a dark cloud over the whole event, taking away from a night that is supposed to be about celebrating the year in film. After the opening monologue, I was hoping they would move on, but they never did and it just made it impossible for me to get into it.

Anyway, I was glad to see Mad Max: Fury Road get tons of love. It really is a great achievement in filmmaking. I was happy for Spotlight, I loved that film. It really is just a pure film. It doesn’t feel like a Hollywood film in anyway and I really appreciated that.

Leo. What can I say. I’ve loved him for years and I’m happy for him. I was very surprised to see Sly lose. I thought that was a perfect story for Oscar. Alejandro González Iñárritu deserves to be applauded for doing something that hasn’t been done in 65 years. I can’t wait to see what he has up his sleeve next.

My biggest WTF moment of the night was the song from Spectre winning. That song is easily one of the worst Bond songs of all-time.

Well, hopefully next year we can get back to a more normal Oscar telecast. Who knows what films we will be raving about come this time next year.

Tommy
03-01-2016, 03:28 AM
Ugh! I just read that this beautiful Radiohead song was rejected by the producers of Spectre in favor of that awful Sam Smith song. How unfortunate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv-w0zPSsTs

Ricky
03-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Well, another year and Heather squashes all of us again. Mike, you couldn't get ONE more?! :lol:

But really, I had a tough time with some of my picks this year (and it looks like we were all in the same range, so it doesn't make me feel too bad). I definitely underestimated the number of technical awards Max Mad would get. Other ones that surprised me: Best Song, Supporting Actress (it was a 50/50 toss-up between Alicia Vikander and Kate Winslet for me), Supporting Actor (didn't everyone think Stallone was going to get it?) and because a period film always seems to win best production design and costume, I picked The Danish Girl. Oh well, at least surprises make the show interesting.

Overall, I felt like this was a fairly vanilla show. It just seemed like it was going through the motions. No real excitement or any "memorable" moments.

Regarding the time of the show, it seems like it ALWAYS runs a half-hour late, so I don't understand why they just don't factor this into the runtime.

With all that being said, I wasn’t looking forward to last night’s show...After the opening monologue, I was hoping they would move on, but they never did

I wasn't really looking forward to the show as I have in the past, either. I think part of it was I was a little behind with my Oscar-nominated movie watching this year. As for the race thing, it was a near-guarantee that Chris Rock would address it in the monologue, but I really didn't think it needed to be the focus of every joke, jab, and skit of the entire night. I think he addressed it in a professional and funny way, but the focus seemed to be on race rather than film in general, which I didn't like.

I was happy for Spotlight, I loved that film. It really is just a pure film. It doesn’t feel like a Hollywood film in anyway and I really appreciated that.

It felt very realistic, which I also liked. I did like it better than The Revenant, so I was happy it won. (For me, The Revenant had better cinematography, directing, and leading actor performance, but Spotlight had the better screenplay, score, editing, pacing, and ensemble cast/characters. Both were engaging and enjoyable, though. If I made a chart with why each film should've won BP, Spotlight would have more checks in its column.)

My biggest WTF moment of the night was the song from Spectre winning. That song is easily one of the worst Bond songs of all-time.

Yeah, that was a surprise for me too. I hadn't heard it until Sam Smith performed it on the show and wasn't too blown away by it. The lyrics seemed pretty bare-bones and it sounded way too high-pitched.

Still Servant
03-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Well, another year and Heather squashes all of us again. Mike, you couldn't get ONE more?! :lol:

I know, right. It's the second time we've tied. The first time me, you and Heather all tied, which led to our tiebreaker rule.

I screwed myself because I got cute with Best Director.

I honestly don't understand why they don't start the show at 8. 8:30 is stupid. I know there is probably some kind of really dumb reason for it. My problem with the show is the same problem I have every year. They don't tie in movies enough. I'm not talking about the films that got nominated this year. I'm talking about any film from throughout the year. I also like when they tie in films from years ago. The show was just blah. The Girl Scout bit was flat and he kept calling back to it too. I know they were trying to capture the magic of Ellen ordering the pizza, but it didn't work.

Oh, well. I'm ready for a new year of film.

Still Servant
03-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Updated Past Results:

Past results:

2010 results
Heather - 15
Servant - 14
Turtlex - 14
Cody - 8
Seymour - 8
Odetta - 4

2011 results
Heather - 17
Servant - 15
Path - 14
Mattrick - 14
Ricky - 12
Merlin - 11
Feev - 8

2012 results
Servant - 14
Heather - 14
Ricky - 14
Stockerlone - 12
Shannon - 11
Thorin- 10
Mattrick - 9
Feev - 8
Garrell - 8
Odetta - 5
Mystima - 4

2013 results
Heather - 20
Servant - 17
Ricky - 15
Matt - 14
Stockerlone - 13
Feev - 12
Pablo - 10

2014 results
Heather - 22
Ricky - 20
Servant - 19
Randall - 16
Pablo - 13
Matt - 10
Mystima - 10
Merlin - 7
Stockerlone - 6

2015 results
T-Dogz - 20
George Monkey - 19
Lurker - 19
Ricky - 18
Servant - 17
Feev - 17
Heather - 15
Shannon - 15
Pablo - 13
Stocker - 9
Matt - 6

2016 results

Heather - 17 (winner by tiebreaker - Mad Max 6)
Servant - 17
Pablo - 16
T-Dogz - 16
Ricky - 15
Matt - 15
Lurker - 14
Stocker - 8

Heather19
03-03-2016, 10:37 AM
I honestly don't understand why they don't start the show at 8. 8:30 is stupid. I know there is probably some kind of really dumb reason for it. My problem with the show is the same problem I have every year. They don't tie in movies enough. I'm not talking about the films that got nominated this year. I'm talking about any film from throughout the year. I also like when they tie in films from years ago. The show was just blah. The Girl Scout bit was flat and he kept calling back to it too. I know they were trying to capture the magic of Ellen ordering the pizza, but it didn't work.

Or 7 for all of us east coasters. I hated the girl scout thing. Maybe it's just because I have to literally listen to my boss complain non-stop about her daughter's girl scout troop, but they really are only focused on selling cookies and making money which drives me crazy. I was also tired of all the racism jokes. The opening monologue was good, but I think it should have ended there. There were a number of people who won that were not white Americans. And you make a good point about making it more about film. That's all it should be about, and they should focus solely on that. And I would love it if they would incorporate movies from that year, or even years back into the show. I agree with that's what the ceremony has really been lacking.

mae
03-03-2016, 10:39 AM
I don't understand why they don't do it on a Saturday. Everyone has to get up early Monday.

Tommy
03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
I don't understand why they don't do it on a Saturday. Everyone has to get up early Monday.

I would assume it's because most people stay home Sunday nights because of work the next day, higher potential for ratings. And when I did actually go out and have fun on the weekends, it was Saturday night. :dance:

fernandito
03-03-2016, 11:10 AM

Not me. Finished just shortly before 9 my time. :D

#WestCoastBestCoast
#WeWearingChucksNotBallies
#CaliforniaLove

T-Dogz_AK47
03-03-2016, 12:09 PM
It started 2:30am Monday morning for me.... :wtf:

I normally take the Monday off work so that I can stay up all night to watch it and then sleep during the day; but I didn't do that this year.

I just couldn't bear the thought of watching Chris Rock talk bollocks about the Oscars being lily white at 3 in the morning. Fuck that shit! :doh:

Ricky
03-03-2016, 02:56 PM
My problem with the show is the same problem I have every year. They don't tie in movies enough. I'm not talking about the films that got nominated this year. I'm talking about any film from throughout the year. I also like when they tie in films from years ago. The show was just blah. The Girl Scout bit was flat and he kept calling back to it too. I know they were trying to capture the magic of Ellen ordering the pizza, but it didn't work.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. And the Girl Scout thing immediately reminded me of the pizza thing Ellen did.

Still Servant
03-03-2016, 06:08 PM

Or 7 for all of us east coasters. I hated the girl scout thing. Maybe it's just because I have to literally listen to my boss complain non-stop about her daughter's girl scout troop, but they really are only focused on selling cookies and making money which drives me crazy. I was also tired of all the racism jokes. The opening monologue was good, but I think it should have ended there. There were a number of people who won that were not white Americans. And you make a good point about making it more about film. That's all it should be about, and they should focus solely on that. And I would love it if they would incorporate movies from that year, or even years back into the show. I agree with that's what the ceremony has really been lacking.

Completely agree.

I'm not going to lie, I buy Girl Scout cookies because it's almost impossible to say no to a cute little girl outside of a supermarket, or a family member. That being said, I do love my Thin Mints. I have noticed that the boxes have gotten smaller and smaller the last few years and yet the price keeps going up.

My mom used to be a Girl Scout leader and she said that a huge portion of each box sold goes right to the corporation. The CEO makes almost $400,000 a year. It's insane.

I read an article about the Oscars that was interesting. It had nothing to do with race either. The theory was that by the time Oscar night rolls around, people are experiencing awards fatigue and that's why it gets poor ratings. It's an interesting theory, but that's not the problem I don't think.

The biggest problem is that huge portions of the audience just plain don't give a crap. Young kids don't even watch TV anymore. It's all about YouTube. Hollywood is really only making movies for that demographic, but it's not the kind of films that generally get nominated. On the flip side of that, because Hollywood continues to pump out films for that audience, they've slowly pushed out the older audience. Many of which have become jaded and skeptical with Hollywood. They feel that Hollywood isn't making good movies anymore, mainly because the theater is filled with stuff that doesn't interest them.

On the surface, they're right. The reality is that many of the films Oscar honors are films that that demographic wouldn't be interested in. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder for them to find those films. This theory is collected from my own experiences with family and friends who have expressed this sentiment. I have heard a few family members tell me they used to love going to the movies, but there's nothing there that interests them. I tell them about films like Room, Spotlight and The Revenant and they've never heard of them before.

In summary, the Oscars are missing out on two huge demographics on both ends of the spectrum - the young and the old.

Heather19
03-03-2016, 06:33 PM

Completely agree.

I'm not going to lie, I buy Girl Scout cookies because it's almost impossible to say no to a cute little girl outside of a supermarket, or a family member. That being said, I do love my Thin Mints. I have noticed that the boxes have gotten smaller and smaller the last few years and yet the price keeps going up.

My mom used to be a Girl Scout leader and she said that a huge portion of each box sold goes right to the corporation. The CEO makes almost $400,000 a year. It's insane.

My boss was a Girl Scout leader and she complained all the time about how they just want the girls to sell cookies, and everything is focused around selling cookies. My niece just joined Girl Scouts and their very first meeting was just all about selling cookies. Keep in mind she's only 5, well 4 at the time... And you're right, the troop gets barely any money from it, it just goes straight to the company. Of course they are super tasty, and I buy some to support them but it's annoying knowing that it's not really helping them.

I read an article about the Oscars that was interesting. It had nothing to do with race either. The theory was that by the time Oscar night rolls around, people are experiencing awards fatigue and that's why it gets poor ratings. It's an interesting theory, but that's not the problem I don't think.

The biggest problem is that huge portions of the audience just plain don't give a crap. Young kids don't even watch TV anymore. It's all about YouTube. Hollywood is really only making movies for that demographic, but it's not the kind of films that generally get nominated. On the flip side of that, because Hollywood continues to pump out films for that audience, they've slowly pushed out the older audience. Many of which have become jaded and skeptical with Hollywood. They feel that Hollywood isn't making good movies anymore, mainly because the theater is filled with stuff that doesn't interest them.

On the surface, they're right. The reality is that many of the films Oscar honors are films that that demographic wouldn't be interested in. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder for them to find those films. This theory is collected from my own experiences with family and friends who have expressed this sentiment. I have heard a few family members tell me they used to love going to the movies, but there's nothing there that interests them. I tell them about films like Room, Spotlight and The Revenant and they've never heard of them before.

In summary, the Oscars are missing out on two huge demographics on both ends of the spectrum - the young and the old.

I agree. I used to love watching the Oscars, and you used to know most of the films that were nominated. But in recent years it's all these small films that most people have never heard of unless you're huge into films. It makes it hard to get excited for an awards show when you haven't seen any of the nominated films. Last year I wasn't excited about anything I don't think, nor even the year before. This year I at least had a few films that I had seen and really enjoyed, and there's a few more that I'm really looking forward to watching.

Ricky
03-04-2016, 08:05 AM
I've never liked Girl Scout cookies. The last time we bought them (last year?) I think they were $8 a box or something ridiculous like that.

And I think the Oscars will have to start implementing some serious changes in order to keep me interested. The time needs to be shortened (or have them factor a 30 minute over-run, as there always is, into the broadcast), keeping the focus on movies and film (not the red-carpet, outfits, and "boycotts"), and start shaking things up a bit. It's so damn formulaic every year. If the producers of the show really cared about ratings and viewership, they'd do a little more than nominating one blockbuster (Mad Max) to placate the mainstream audience. I've had the thought for a while now that if a film is to be considered for an Oscar, it has to be released in a certain number of theaters across the country (there probably is a number already, but if so it needs to be larger). Then again, that screws the tiny films out of award possibilities if they can't afford marketing and publicity that the bigger ones can.

I normally don't care how long a show is (movie, TV, awards show, whatever) as long as it keeps me engaged. But this year's Oscars was one of the most boring. I was ready to go to bed before it was over and didn't care enough to stay up to watch Jimmy Kimmel's live after-Oscars show. Seems like I wasn't alone with being underwhelmed with the show this year.

Mattrick
03-05-2016, 07:11 PM
In the end, if the show is average, I still enjoy myself depending on who the awards go to. I've noticed the Academy's strategy seems to have changed the past few years. For awhile they were all about making one film a huge winner, now they like to make sure three or four films come away with it. This year the three big winners were Mad Max, The Revenant, and Spotlight. A lot of films won just one oscar this year, with, to me, the big surprises being Ex Machina for Visual Effects and Mark Rylance for Best Supporting Actor (I gave him a 3% chance lol). I am glad Ex Machina won though, because the effects were great, I just assume Mad Max would sweep the technical awards and that Ex Machina was too subtle, but the effects are truly amazing in it when you think they are almost always on screen.

And this is the first year in a few now that I agree with Best Picture. Spotlight was a great choice and very deserving. Not that a movie like Birdman wasn't, I just liked other films a lot more.

Still Servant
03-07-2016, 05:05 PM
I've never liked Girl Scout cookies. The last time we bought them (last year?) I think they were $8 a box or something ridiculous like that.

And I think the Oscars will have to start implementing some serious changes in order to keep me interested. The time needs to be shortened (or have them factor a 30 minute over-run, as there always is, into the broadcast), keeping the focus on movies and film (not the red-carpet, outfits, and "boycotts"), and start shaking things up a bit. It's so damn formulaic every year. If the producers of the show really cared about ratings and viewership, they'd do a little more than nominating one blockbuster (Mad Max) to placate the mainstream audience. I've had the thought for a while now that if a film is to be considered for an Oscar, it has to be released in a certain number of theaters across the country (there probably is a number already, but if so it needs to be larger). Then again, that screws the tiny films out of award possibilities if they can't afford marketing and publicity that the bigger ones can.

I normally don't care how long a show is (movie, TV, awards show, whatever) as long as it keeps me engaged. But this year's Oscars was one of the most boring. I was ready to go to bed before it was over and didn't care enough to stay up to watch Jimmy Kimmel's live after-Oscars show. Seems like I wasn't alone with being underwhelmed with the show this year.

Yup, completely agree. I would add that The Martian was also a blockbuster, but I get what you mean. The thing I've been harping about is that Hollywood would be pleasantly surprised if they released a film like Room in 4000 theaters. How can you not make money on a film like that? The film had a budget of 6 million bucks. That's not a typo. They would make that back and then some, easy. Unfortunately, Hollywood has such a poor perception of its audience and it doesn't think people care, but I think they're wrong.

Ricky
03-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately, Hollywood has such a poor perception of its audience and it doesn't think people care, but I think they're wrong.

Exactly. They know people will go see each of the 847 Marvel spin-offs (because the ticket sales are there, and it's an established brand), but I guarantee those same people would welcome original films. But because those mega-blockbusters are the ones that have the highest ticket sales and promotion, there seems to be some sort of fallacy that no one's interested in original films anymore.

Mattrick
03-09-2016, 08:06 AM
I don't think its all Hollywoods fault. They can't force people to see an original blockbuster like Edge of Tomorrow. There are a large percentage of people who get raging hard ons for films based on pre-existing properties. We all grew up on franchises and we stick to them. Deadpool makes 140M opening weekend because it's familiar. If no one knew who Deadpool was and it was original, it would be lucky to make 20M on Reynolds alone. Sure we get an Avatar or something which kills it, but there is a reason so many of the highest grossing films already have large, fervent fanbases or are sequels.

Look at an original monster movie like Cloverfield...it made less cumulatively than Godzilla did opening weekend. Yet Cloverfield was made on a budget less almost 1/8 of Godzilla so it made a significant profit while Godzilla made less profit. Same type of thing when you compare an original superhero flick like Chronicle makes 22M opening weakened while another superhero film with a huge budget brings in way more people.

I am part of the solution by avoiding Marvel and Star Wars and paying to see stuff like Room and Brooklyn instead!
Those franchises will survive without my dollar and won't wow me like Room or Ex Machina.

fernandito
03-09-2016, 09:53 AM
I've harped on this a few times, but the sad truth is that films which cater to the mythical Average Movie Goer make much more money.

The AMG doesn't want to be engaged critically by cerebral fare, they want to indulge in escapism. They want to shut their brains off for 2 hours and be wowed by SFX and explosions and cool looking fight scenes. Stuff like Room, Spotlight strike a nerve because of how close to him they hit. People don't want to reflect inward during a movie going experience, they want to escape.

To Matt's point, I am a huge comic fan and seek out anything related to that genre. Whatever you may think about the quality of Marvel's individual components, they have a vision, and they are pulling off something which has never been done before in the history of cinema (their interconnected universe).

I'm glad I don't have to choose between one or the other because I love both.

Still Servant
03-09-2016, 05:30 PM
I don't think its all Hollywoods fault. They can't force people to see an original blockbuster like Edge of Tomorrow. There are a large percentage of people who get raging hard ons for films based on pre-existing properties. We all grew up on franchises and we stick to them. Deadpool makes 140M opening weekend because it's familiar. If no one knew who Deadpool was and it was original, it would be lucky to make 20M on Reynolds alone. Sure we get an Avatar or something which kills it, but there is a reason so many of the highest grossing films already have large, fervent fanbases or are sequels.

Look at an original monster movie like Cloverfield...it made less cumulatively than Godzilla did opening weekend. Yet Cloverfield was made on a budget less almost 1/8 of Godzilla so it made a significant profit while Godzilla made less profit. Same type of thing when you compare an original superhero flick like Chronicle makes 22M opening weakened while another superhero film with a huge budget brings in way more people.

I am part of the solution by avoiding Marvel and Star Wars and paying to see stuff like Room and Brooklyn instead!
Those franchises will survive without my dollar and won't wow me like Room or Ex Machina.

You're not part of the solution at all. You're robbing yourself of seeing a good film. I don't subscribe to the theory that Blockbuster = bad movie. That's not fair either.

Deadpool was a lot of fun and there are quite a few Marvel films that are worth watching. Also, Star Wars was a good movie too.

I've harped on this a few times, but the sad truth is that films which cater to the mythical Average Movie Goer make much more money.

The AMG doesn't want to be engaged critically by cerebral fare, they want to indulge in escapism. They want to shut their brains off for 2 hours and be wowed by SFX and explosions and cool looking fight scenes. Stuff like Room, Spotlight strike a nerve because of how close to him they hit. People don't want to reflect inward during a movie going experience, they want to escape.

To Matt's point, I am a huge comic fan and seek out anything related to that genre. Whatever you may think about the quality of Marvel's individual components, they have a vision, and they are pulling off something which has never been done before in the history of cinema (their interconnected universe).

I'm glad I don't have to choose between one or the other because I love both.

I agree with Fernando, I'm happy to consume both.

I agree that most moviegoers just want to escape, but I will also say that there is a huge population of people (usually older) that are underserved by Hollywood and starving for cerebral fare.

Heather19
03-28-2016, 05:13 AM
So since the Oscars I have seen Room and Spotlight. Both were great films. Room however was so depressing that I will never watch it again. The little boy in it was phenomenal though and I can't believe he wasn't nominated for something.

Spotlight I really enjoyed. However, I can't believe it got best picture over The Revenant. The acting was mostly good, and it had a solid story, but from a filmmaking standpoint it was pretty basic. Whereas The Revenant had amazing acting, a good story, and the filmmaking was breathtaking in it. The cinematography was wonderful, and it made you feel as if you were right there. I really don't understand why the Academy votes the way they do sometimes. Also I really didn't care for Mark Ruffalo in Spotlight. I normally like him, but something about his acting in this one was pretty offputting. I could tell he was acting vs Rachel or Michael Keaton, who both seemed very natural in it. So I'm really surprised that he was the one to get nominated instead of Michael.

Also I got to thinking, Michael Keaton was in this year's best picture winner and last year's best picture winner, I'm sure this has happened before but does anyone know for sure, and if so who? I'm quite curious now.

Next up is The Big Short and Brooklyn as soon as it gets released on dvd.

Ricky
03-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Next up is The Big Short

Turn back! It's too late for me, but it's not too late for you!

Heather19
03-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Oh no, really? We almost went to see it in the theater, but I wasn't sure I would enjoy it so we decided to wait for the dvd. Now you have me really thinking that I'll hate it.

Mattrick
03-28-2016, 04:34 PM
The Big Short is great. Not Room, Spotlight or Brooklyn great, but great none the less.

I had Spotlight number 4 on my list Heather...Revenant was number 5. And Ruffalo was great...how dare you besmeerch the greatest actor of his generation :p

Heather19
03-28-2016, 04:49 PM
Like I said I normally really like him, but not in Spotlight. What was your number 1? And for those that have seen Spotlight why do you think it's more deserving of the win, or do you disagree with it winning best picture?

Ricky
03-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Oh no, really? We almost went to see it in the theater, but I wasn't sure I would enjoy it so we decided to wait for the dvd. Now you have me really thinking that I'll hate it.

If you end up enjoying it, I will be very, very surprised (especially because of the slow pacing).

I genuinely don't understand the people who praise it as being so accessible to a general audience. I went with a friend for our Oscar marathon and we were both completely lost and confused for pretty much the entire movie. Even the portions where the celebrity cameos "dumb down" the financial stuff was confusing.

It also didn't help that we both felt nauseous for a good portion of it because of the rapid back-and-forth camera movements.

Heather19
03-28-2016, 05:05 PM

If you end up enjoying it, I will be very, very surprised (especially because of the slow pacing).

I genuinely don't understand the people who praise it as being so accessible to a general audience. I went with a friend for our Oscar marathon and we were both completely lost and confused for pretty much the entire movie. Even the portions where the celebrity cameos "dumb down" the financial stuff was confusing.

It also didn't help that we both felt nauseous for a good portion of it because of the rapid back-and-forth camera movements.

Oh boy. Well if it was just me I'd probably pass on it, but Matt's really been wanting to see it. We have very different tastes in movies though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up hating it and he loves it :lol:

Ricky
03-28-2016, 05:33 PM
We only saw it because it was nominated and were not impressed. I rarely get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the movie, but I was just so happy to get out of there for a few minutes. :lol:

Mattrick
03-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Ricky, slow pace? I thought it had a fervent pace, like a 3 hour film crammed into 2 hours. Was some tight, tight editing.

Heather...1. Room 2. Ex Machina 3. Mad Max 4. Spotlight 5. The Revenant.

Still Servant
03-28-2016, 05:41 PM

Oh boy. Well if it was just me I'd probably pass on it, but Matt's really been wanting to see it. We have very different tastes in movies though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up hating it and he loves it :lol:

My guess is that you won't like The Big Short. People who go into The Big Short trying to understand the ins and outs of the housing market, financing and banking are bound to hate it. The point of the movie is to understand that some very rich people were gambling with people's lives and belongings. They were dirtbags and most of them got off with a slap on the wrist. You don't need to understand everything, just get the jist and you might like it. If you want more in-depth, there's a ton of really good documentaries out there like Inside Job, Too Big to Fail and the Michael Moore film (my favorite) Capitalism: A Love Story.

As for Spotlight, I can see where you're coming from. It's the least Hollywood movie a movie can be and still be considered a movie. There really is nothing Hollywood about it, so you're right in saying it's basic. That being said, as beautiful as The Revenant is, its story is very basic as well. I'm not surprised that Spotlight won Best Picture. The Academy loves movies that have a message. Especially ones that are based on true stories.

Mattrick
03-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Birdman - Fervent insane pace that never seems to stop.

The Revenant - moves as the speed of walking through a Canadian snowfall

Amazing they were made by the same guy in back to back years.

Heather19
04-11-2016, 05:04 AM
Ricky you were right about everything you said about the Big Short. I hated it. I had no clue what was going on. We even paused it a few times to Google some of the stuff they were talking about, to try to get a better grasp of what was going on, but it didn't help much. I should preface it by saying I'm not a stupid person, I am a scientist after all, but when it comes to finance and banking I have no clue about any of that. I got the basic jist of what was going on, but how do you guys thoroughly enjoy a movie if you don't fully understand what they're talking about. Funny thing is that Matt commented to me that he would have enjoyed it if he understood it :lol:

Mike, I'll have to watch the Michael Moore film. I'm sure I'll enjoy that one way more than this one.

Ricky
04-11-2016, 09:58 AM
I had a feeling you weren't going to like it. And yeah, it definitely helps your enjoyment of a movie if you know what's going on. If I hadn't known that it was based off the economy collapse a few years back I wouldn't have the slightest clue what the plot was. All throughout the movie it was making me feel badly about myself. I was like, "Am I really that stupid?" :lol:

Heather19
04-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Me too :lol: Even when they had celebrities come on screen to dumb it down I was still confused. I really don't know how you can enjoy it if you don't understand finance and banking. And how it got nominated for anything is beyond me. I feel like the Academy only nominated it because of the subject matter. I also felt that's why Spotlight won too, but at least that was a film that you could understand.

fernandito
04-11-2016, 01:19 PM
My guess is that you won't like The Big Short. People who go into The Big Short trying to understand the ins and outs of the housing market, financing and banking are bound to hate it. The point of the movie is to understand that some very rich people were gambling with people's lives and belongings. They were dirtbags and most of them got off with a slap on the wrist. You don't need to understand everything...
Bingo.

Ricky
04-11-2016, 02:01 PM
The point of the movie is to understand that some very rich people were gambling with people's lives and belongings. They were dirtbags and most of them got off with a slap on the wrist. You don't need to understand everything...
Bingo.

And there was a way to do that. Namely, by including characters that we cared about and making the plot and pacing much smoother. The Big Short failed at both. Also, when the movie is pretty much ALL finance and banking mumbo-jumbo, you kind of do need to understand it. Otherwise, there's nothing left.

Heather19
04-11-2016, 02:49 PM
The point of the movie is to understand that some very rich people were gambling with people's lives and belongings. They were dirtbags and most of them got off with a slap on the wrist. You don't need to understand everything...
Bingo.

And there was a way to do that. Namely, by including characters that we cared about and making the plot and pacing much smoother. The Big Short failed at both. Also, when the movie is pretty much ALL finance and banking mumbo-jumbo, you kind of do need to understand it. Otherwise, there's nothing left.

I agree. I'm sure everyone got the jist of the movie, but when they're talking business about everything and you have no clue what they're talking about, how enjoyable is that to watch? I also felt they could have dumbed down the lingo a bit, and made it more of a language that your average person would understand.

Heather19
04-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Just watched Brooklyn last night. Hands down my favorite of the Oscar nominated films. I loved it. Too bad it didn't win anything.

Ricky
04-22-2016, 02:18 PM
That good, huh? That's the only one I have left to see from this year's nominees.

Recently saw Room and really enjoyed it. I liked Brie Larson's performance (and the movie as a whole) but if I'm being honest, I don't know that I would've thought them Oscar-worthy had they not already been nominated. I think it was you, Heather, who said you were unprepared for how depressing it was? It was pretty close to what I was expecting. I wish the trailer wouldn't have given away that they escaped, though.

Tommy
04-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Also I got to thinking, Michael Keaton was in this year's best picture winner and last year's best picture winner, I'm sure this has happened before but does anyone know for sure, and if so who? I'm quite curious now.

Russell Crowe in Gladiator (2000) and A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Walter Pidgeon in How Green was My Valley (1941) and Mrs. Miniver (1942)
Clark Gable in It Happened One Night (1934) and Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

There are probably more that are lesser known actors that had smaller parts but those are the big ones I can think of.

I liked The Big Short :redface:

Still Servant
04-22-2016, 05:06 PM
That good, huh? That's the only one I have left to see from this year's nominees.

Yeah, me too. I wanted to see it, but it just never opened close to me. I almost went to see it at an artsy theater. I've heard great things about the film from a few friends. It's not typical of a film that I'm usually interested in, but my mom's parents met on a boat coming to America, so there's a similar romantic story of immigration in my family.

Heather19
04-23-2016, 06:46 AM

Recently saw Room and really enjoyed it. I liked Brie Larson's performance (and the movie as a whole) but if I'm being honest, I don't know that I would've thought them Oscar-worthy had they not already been nominated. I think it was you, Heather, who said you were unprepared for how depressing it was? It was pretty close to what I was expecting. I wish the trailer wouldn't have given away that they escaped, though.

Since they gave that away in the trailer I thought the movie was going to be more focused on them after they escaped and trying to cope with the world. Also from the trailer I thought it would be more about the boy experiencing the outside for the first time and his joys at seeing real life. But it was just more depressing stuff.

Yeah, me too. I wanted to see it, but it just never opened close to me. I almost went to see it at an artsy theater. I've heard great things about the film from a few friends. It's not typical of a film that I'm usually interested in, but my mom's parents met on a boat coming to America, so there's a similar romantic story of immigration in my family.

I'm not sure you guys will enjoy it as much as me. It seems more of a girl movie. But the love story is only part of it, it's also about her finding her way in life.