PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King - The Stand Complete and Uncut - Background and Video

Randall Flagg
09-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Article courtesy of Peter Schneider and is Copyright protected.
Please do not distribute without express consent from Peter Schneider.

Introduction to the DVD “Stephen King on THE STAND: Uncut”

Peter Schneider

In early November 1989, the marketing and editorial departments of Doubleday were preparing for the December sales conference. This was a huge affair, held on a resort on Key Biscayne, Florida, and it included all three publishing companies of the BDD conglomerate: Bantam, Doubleday, and Dell. More than one thousand people from around the world would attend the conference.
At this sales conference the forty or so Doubleday sales reps would be presented with the titles from the Spring list (April through July). This would provide them with the information necessary for them to start meeting with all their bookstore accounts in January and gain the advance orders needed to determine the final print quantities for the titles in question.
For Doubleday (where I was a marketing director), our biggest title of this list was THE STAND: Complete & Uncut. We needed to deliver a presentation that would basically knock the socks off our sales reps, so that they would go out and make this book the bestseller that it deserved to be.
Though it may sound strange now, not everyone at BDD thought THE STAND would be a big book (in terms of sales, of course, not size). Lou Aronica, the publisher of BantamSpectra and one of my best friends at the company, thought that it might sell 60,000 copies at best. “Pete, the original book was published only twelve years ago. Sure, there’ll be some fanatics who want this new edition, but I think that the bulk of book buyers will say, ‘Been there, read that.’”
Having been a Stephen King reader for eighteen years, I knew he was wrong – but I also knew that in order to make this book work out of the gate, we’d have to do some pretty fancy dancing to persuade the sales reps.
The publisher of Doubleday at the time was Nancy Evans. She had been hired two years previously by Alberto Vitale, the CEO of BDD. She had previously been at Book-of-the-Month Club and, before that, had been the book editor of Glamor magazine. I had rejoined Doubleday in June of 1987, and for the first two years Nancy and I were, shall we say, not the best of friends.
But once we started work on THE STAND, she and I rapidly reached a meeting of the minds. She knew that Doubleday needed a huge bestseller, and I knew that THE STAND was that book, and so we ended up working very closely together and actually becoming friends.
One thing to understand is that almost half of the 42 Doubleday sales reps at that time had worked for the company back in the 1970s – therefore, they had sold in to bookstores the first five Stephen King books, and they’d been witness to the phenomenon that started with CARRIE and culminated with THE STAND – only to have him leave the company for NAL, much to their confusion.
As Nancy and I discussed plans for the sales conference, we came to the conclusion that the best person to make the presentation (or at least introduce it) would be Stephen King himself. And so I called the Bangor office and asked if we could come up to film a short video. We were told, “Knock yourself out, if you want to travel to Bangor in November.”
So Nancy and I made our reservations to fly up, leaving La Guardia in NYC, changing planes in Boston’s Logan Airport, and taking a small commuter plane from there to Bangor. We were due to fly out of La Guardia at 8:45 am, so we made plans to meet at the airport by 8:00.
We realized, however, that impressing the sales reps was only part of the equation – we wanted to impress Stephen King as well.
Nancy and the Doubleday art department had been working on repackages of the first five SK titles. They were much different from the original artwork (which was truly uninspiring) and they conveyed more of a unified “series” look. Nancy was bringing the color print-outs of these new dust jackets.
Given that I was directing the whole limited edition megillah, I had asked our production department if they could have a dummy of the limited ready for me to carry up to Bangor and show Steve. The production manager in charge of the book assured me that this would be no problem.
We were leaving on a Thursday – on Monday of that week I went down to production and asked about the dummy. “Oh, it’ll be here tomorrow,” I was told.
Tuesday came and went with the same response. To hedge my bets, I asked that the dummy be sent to me directly at my home in Westchester County, NY. On Wednesday afternoon I went down to Production and demanded to know where the dummy was. The manager made a call, then said, “Oh, they’ve had a problem, so it’s being sent out today via UPS Overnight to your home address (in Westchester county, the suburbs north of NYC) for arrival tomorrow.”
My reply (sanitized for a G-rated audience) was, “That’s not going to do me much good, given that I’ll be at La Guardia at 8:00 am.”
But I couldn’t let it go. I knew that the main UPS distribution facility for the northern suburbs of NYC was in Elmsford, NY, just twenty minutes south of where I lived and on the way to La Guardia airport. Thursday morning I was up at 4:30 am and I drove to Elmsford UPS (which operated on a 24-hour schedule). There, I pleaded my case to the director of the facility, and so, for the next two hours, he led me up and down the labyrinthine conveyor belts that carried packages to all the local distribution trucks. He was a truly nice guy (and a King fan, to boot), so we wandered around this facility the size of two football fields, trying to read labels until our eyes crossed. Finally, at 7:30, I cried Uncle, and I ran out to my car to make the trip to La Guardia.
(The next week, I had a long talk with the VP of Production about this SNAFU. She checked into it, and then showed up at my office with a red face. It seems the Production manager – the one who had kept promising the imminent arrival of the dummy – had basically made the whole thing up. He had never even asked for a dummy to be created. Therefore, my trip to the UPS distribution center was in vain. And cold-hearted as it may sound now, I didn’t shed a tear when the manager in question was asked to leave the company.)
So now I raced down the Hutchinson River Parkway, hoping to get to La Guardia before the plane left. As I ran down to the gate, Nancy was standing in the aisle waiting for me. “Did you get the dummy?” she asked. I simply grimaced and said, “Long, long story.”
The flight to Boston was uneventful. At Logan, we had to change terminals and then walk across the tarmac to a small ten-seater prop plane. Nancy was not used to transportation like this and her face was ashen as we climbed the small flight of steps to the cabin.
The trip took about an hour and a half, and we made nervous conversation throughout the flight. Once we arrived at Bangor, I picked up our rental car and we drove to Steve’s office (which is actually incredibly close to the airport). I ran in to let them know we had arrived – instead I was told by Shirley Sonderegger, Steve’s assistant, that he was still at the house and that I should go meet him there.
So back into the car we went and drove the mile or so to the King house. (Yes, the one with the wrought iron fence featuring spider webs.) Nancy and I pulled in the drive and we got out and walked up the path to the front door.
We took a minute to compose ourselves, then I rang the bell. No answer. I rang the bell again. Still no answer. I then knocked on the door, thinking perhaps the doorbell didn’t work. No answer.
At this point Nancy and I looked at each other and blurted out, at the same time, “Do you think he doesn’t want to see us?” (This is the level of insecurity that pervades those who work at publishers, whether they’re presidents of companies, as was Nancy, or marketing directors, or just about anyone when dealing with a major, major author.)
But I knew that Shirley wouldn’t have told us to go to the house if we weren’t wanted, so I said, “Let’s try the side door.” We walked around the house to the right side, where a short flight of steps led up to a door. I knocked on the door and Tabitha opened it almost immediately.
Steve was standing behind her, and he yelled out, “Oh, Pete, Shirley said you were coming. Come on in.”
After a few minutes of nervous banter, Steve put his coat on and said, “Follow me to the office.”
Nancy was clutching the folder with the new dust jacket art for the first five books and I was clutching the bag that held the VHS video camera and tripod. (It’s hard to believe these days, but that was the state of the art for filming videos. No remote microphones, no extra lighting.)
We pulled up to the office (where we had been twenty minutes earlier). We set up the video camera on a tripod in the reception area and Steve sat on the large couch. Nancy handed him the new dust jacket art, and he started to comment on it. It was at that point that I hit the red trigger on the camera – and it is at this point that you start watching the video.
Before you view the video, there are a few technical notes: the video you will see is the raw footage as recorded by my VHS camera that day. The time code that appears at the bottom was added by our video editing house so that I could do some small edits for the final version shown at the sales conference. What you see here, however, is the entirety of the video. Also, you’ll hear some background comments and guffaws – these come from Nancy Evans and me as we sat there making the video. No one else, aside from SK, was in the room.
Finally, you’ll notice that at the very beginning of the video that there are two instances where the camera goes dark while we set up another take. Blacking out the filming was accomplished by a very high-tech trick known as “Peter’s hand.” In other words, to denote a break in the scene, I would place my hand over the lens simply because I didn’t want to chance turning off the camcorder and then not getting it to turn back on. I’m a real technical whiz, don’t you agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsj15Ji9Gf0&feature=youtu.be

Afterword to the DVD “Stephen King on THE STAND: Uncut”

Peter Schneider

“. . . and that we can go ahead and do something together another time.” This is the penultimate sentence in the video, and it carried the most import to the many Doubleday and BDD people who watched the video.
As most of you know, in the summer of 1977 Stephen King decided to leave Doubleday and publish with New American Library. (NAL was a paperback publisher, so they back-sold the hardcover rights to King’s books to Viking. Later, Viking, NAL, Signet, Dutton, and Penguin would all become one company under the name Penguin Publishing.)
King’s decision to leave Doubleday was caused by some ridiculous decisions made by Doubleday top management at the time (which I won’t go into here). Most of the Doubleday employees not privy to the situation were perplexed by King’s decision to leave.
In the late 1980s Penguin approached Doubleday and asked to purchase the hardcover rights to THE STAND so that they could publish THE STAND: Complete & Uncut. Doubleday’s response was, “Of course not. We own those rights, so if anyone’s going to do a hardcover, it will be us. You (NAL and Penguin), of course, will have the paperback rights.”
This is why, in a nutshell, Doubleday once again was publishing Stephen King.
Quite frankly, there was no way that King was going to return to Doubleday except if he had to – and if you knew the whole unexpurgated story, you would understand why.
But as I said before, most of the regular Doubleday people had no clue as to all the sturm und drang that had occurred during the last thirteen years – and so the fact that Stephen King was once again publishing with Doubleday was, perhaps, a new beginning, in their view.
So, at the end of the video, when Stephen King made the off-hand comment that “. . . we can go ahead and do something together another time,” the sales reps thought that, “Wow, maybe he’s going to come back to Doubleday.”

Scene: We’re in a big conference room at the resort in Key Biscayne. I’ve spoken for twenty minutes about what the new book is, what we’re going to do to support it, and why people are going to buy it. I end my speech by saying something like, “But I’ve talked enough. I’m a marketing guy and you know I’m always going to tell you that a book is going to sell like hotcakes. (Yes, back then we all used horrific clichés like this.) But I think that there’s only one person out there who can give you the real story – the one person who can give you the inside dope as to what this crazy book is all about – and that person is Stephen King.” And with a nod, the lights darkened and the video started spilling out onto the screen.
After the video ended, there was a second or two of silence,, and then, as one, the entire room of sales reps and other BDD people stood up and started applauding. Believe me, my previous presentations at sales conferences had been greeted with yawns and questions like, “So why do you think anyone is going to buy this book?”
I knew that the applause had nothing to do with me – it was all due to the amazing presentation by Stephen King and that second-to-last line about possibly doing “something together” again sometime
To fully understand the effect of this presentation, you should know that Doubleday/Dell, when it was still an independent company back in the 1970s and early 1980s, had become the butt of jokes in publishing. Then, in 1986, it was purchased by Bertelsmann publishing and folded into the incredibly successful Bantam publishing company, with the whole new entity dubbed “BDD.”
Bantam Books was the darling of Bertelsmann, of course – it had an incredibly successful mass market paperback publishing program, and recently it had become a powerhouse hardcover publisher as well, with monster-selling titles like IACOCCA. When Doubleday was brought into the fold in 1987, it was obvious that Bantam was the fair-haired boy while we were the ugly ducklings who hung back in the shadows.
Therefore, when Stephen King let slip that perhaps we could “do something together” again, a rush of chauvinism was sparked in the hearts of the Doubleday people.

Epilogue

This sales conference took place in December 1989. In January 1990 Nancy Evans was unceremoniously fired by Bertelsmann. She was replaced by Steve Rubin, who had been Editor-in-Chief of Bantam for several years.
At the end of April, we were all at the next sales conference (again held at Key Biscayne). THE STAND had just gone on sale the Tuesday of that week. At that time, publishers had a special number to call at the New York Times Book Review (after 5:00 pm on Friday) so that they could hear a recorded message listing all the bestsellers that would appear in the NYTBR on the Sunday nine days later. I had missed a few meetings in order to stay in my room at the resort and repeatedly call the number of the NYTBR. Though it was probably only ten or fifteen minutes, it felt like that many hours while I continued calling and kept getting the previous week’s list.
Finally, around 5:15, I called yet again. This time I heard a new voice on the recording. I knew this was it. And then I heard the words I had been waiting for: “For Sunday, May 13th, the New York Times Fiction Bestseller List is as follows: Number One, THE STAND: Complete & Uncut by Stephen King, published by Doubleday.” Please note that this ranking of number one did not even include a full week of sales – it only reflected bookstore sales from Tuesday (when the book went on sale) through Friday.
I hung up the phone, raced down the hall, and waited impatiently for the elevator to arrive so that I could get to the meetings that would end at 5:30. I got to the conference room level and ran to the room where the Doubleday sales reps were meeting to discuss the books presented that day. I flung open the door and ran in. People turned and looked to see who had made such an impetuous entrance. I managed to gibber out, “Please excuse my interruption, but I just wanted to tell you all: THE STAND is at number one on the New York Times Book Review list.” The room erupted in cheers.
What a miserable geek I was, right? But this was the one moment that all the Doubleday people could share in a real triumph – and it also put paid to all the naysayers who had predicted the book wouldn’t even break 50,000 copies sold.
The next week, Steve Rubin, the new publisher of Doubleday, sent out an interoffice memo which you can see at the end of this article.
By December of 1990, THE STAND had sold more than 700,000 hardcover copies.
But in June, six months prior, I had left Doubleday to accept a job at Grove Press as VP, Marketing & Sales.
And that is a completely different story . . . .

Bev Vincent
09-09-2015, 10:38 AM
What fun! Thanks for sharing this, Peter.

Randall Flagg
09-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Oops.
Forgot to post the afterword.

I just edited the post and added it.
Enjoy!

jreitan47
09-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing and making this happen!

jhanic
09-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Very, very interesting. Thanks for Peter and RF for posting this.

John

burial
09-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Great story... i love such articles....

Merlin1958
09-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Wonderful story!!!! You heard it here first folks!!!!

This thread is pure "TDT.Org" gold!!!

jsweet
09-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Great -- thanks for sharing!

zelig
09-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Love this sort of story! Thanks for sharing it! And that video is pure gold.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-10-2015, 12:01 AM
Love this insight. Thanks for sharing this, Peter.

herbertwest
09-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Great insight story !

jon10g
09-10-2015, 12:27 AM
Fascinating stuff.

stroppygoblin
09-10-2015, 01:12 AM
Great video! even better being bought to life with the background story. Thanks for sharing this with us Peter :thumbsup:

Rachel Readman
09-10-2015, 03:39 AM
Amazing! Thanks, Peter and Jerome.

mae
09-10-2015, 05:06 AM
And then I heard the words I had been waiting for: “For Sunday, May 13th, the New York Times Fiction Bestseller List is as follows: Number One, THE STAND: Complete & Uncut by Stephen King, published by Doubleday.” Please note that this ranking of number one did not even include a full week of sales – it only reflected bookstore sales from Tuesday (when the book went on sale) through Friday.

From this we can surmise that the release date for the book was May 8. Our release dates list lists month only (May): http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?3555-Stephen-King-Book-Release-Dates-List I assume it's safe to update? I wonder if Peter can fill in the other Doubleday dates on that list?

Randall Flagg
09-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Release date was (according to Peter Schneider) April 25th, 1990.

mae
09-10-2015, 05:31 AM
That doesn't work. May 13 was a Sunday in 1990 and if, as he states in that quote, the book went on sale that Tuesday, that makes it May 8. April 25, 1990 was a Wednesday two weeks prior.

Randall Flagg
09-10-2015, 06:52 AM
That doesn't work. May 13 was a Sunday in 1990 and if, as he states in that quote, the book went on sale that Tuesday, that makes it May 8. April 25, 1990 was a Wednesday two weeks prior.
According to Peter Schneider (Marketing Director for Doubleday for The Stand Uncut), the book went on sale Wednesday April 25th, 1990.
He has a video of the display window of B. Dalton located on the ground floor of the same building as Doubleday books (666 Fifth Avenue, NYC).
Feel free to consult with Mr. Schneider, but he has an eidetic memory of the events. Here is the document he provided that details events:

Introduction to the DVD “B. Dalton’s window for

THE STAND: Complete & Uncut”

Peter Schneider

THE STAND: Complete & Uncut was scheduled for a one-day nationwide release on April 25, 1990. This is called a “one-day laydown” in the publishing world – something that is done for only the biggest, most eagerly anticipated books. In other words, every single retailer in the U.S. would be able to put this title on sale on one single day.
In the beginning of April, Doubleday’s national account sales rep, Bebe Cole, called me and said that the flagship B. Dalton’s store (located serendipitously on the ground floor of 666 Fifth Avenue, NYC, the building that also housed the offices for Bantam/Doubleday/Dell) wanted to devote their huge front window to THE STAND, starting five days before the release date.
A bit of background: in 1990, the two biggest booksellers in the U.S. were B. Dalton’s and Waldenbooks. There was no Amazon, of course, given that there was no internet. Borders Books was still a relatively small chain headquartered in the college town of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Barnes & Noble, though it was the parent company of B. Dalton’s, was known primarily for its college-based bookstores. At the time it would have been extremely difficult to find any mall in the U.S. that did not have a B. Dalton’s or a Waldenbooks among its many shops. (Just as it would have been difficult to find any mall without a Spencer Gifts.)
Between the two major book retailers, B. Dalton’s was considered the more powerful, which made it the most important account for any publisher. And so when B. Dalton’s “requested” something, they got it. (One historical note: regardless of which party initiated the request for a promotion, be it an end-cap, a floor display, or a window display, the publisher would pay B. Dalton’s a huge fee. These payments were considered “co-op advertising fees,” but the charges were much higher than the actual cost of the promotion. For example, if a book you published was given the honor of being named as the main title of the B. Dalton’s Christmas catalog, you were expected to pay $45,000 or more for this privilege. It is exactly this practice that led to the huge lawsuits that erupted in 1996, filed by independent booksellers in an attempt to get some of that co-op money for themselves.)
In most cases a window display consisted of huge stacks of the books as well as huge blow-ups of the book’s dust jacket. We were at a disadvantage because we could not put the actual books on display until the April 25 release date. So we had to come up with something a bit different.
This type of thing was the responsibility of the marketing department. I pulled a few other people from the marketing, art, and design departments and we put our heads together. Since we couldn’t feature the book itself in the window, we decided to stage a scene from the novel, something intriguing and compelling that would whet readers’ appetites and fire their imaginations. But which scene?
Trying to depict one single scene from the book was difficult, given the thousands of scenes available. In the end, we decided that because this display would be featured in New York City, the most relevant scene to depict was the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel, just as Larry Underwood encountered it during his exodus from plague-stricken Manhattan.
Fortunately, I had a full-size cut-out of Stephen King that had been used to promote one of his Viking books. (I had begged it off a close friend who worked at Viking.)
We were also able to rent one of those LCD displays that could flash five different messages and was capable of some “high tech” tricks like scrolling out from the middle of the sentence displayed. (This was all considered state-of-the-art at the time.) The most important message read: “Five days till THE STAND: Complete and Uncut goes on sale!”
Our art department made some large blow-ups of the NYC skyline to form a back-drop. They also constructed a facsimile of the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel. One trip to Toys”R”Us for some toy cars and we were all set.
The video that follows was filmed by me with our trusty VHS camcorder, taken late in the afternoon of the day the window display was assembled. As you’ll see, we had a huge window to fill, and so we constructed a framing device of hundreds of dust jackets taped to the window so that our rather sad little display didn’t look so forlorn.
Our display won accolades from both B. Dalton’s and the BDD sales staff. Every day we would race down to the store in the morning to change the sign with the number of days remaining until the on-sale date.
On the morning of April 25, I was walking past the window toward the entrance to our building when I suddenly stopped and stared. The entire display had been removed (with the exception of the life-size Stephen King cutout) and had been replaced by towering mountains of the books themselves. I have no idea where our display – the result of hours of labor – ended up. It was probably sitting in a dumpster in the loading zone of our building. (Luckily, we did manage to get the electronic sign back and return it to the rental store.)

Ben Staad
09-10-2015, 06:57 AM
What an insightful look into the industry and Mr. King. Thanks for sharing.

jhanic
09-10-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks again, Peter and RF! Some great information!

John

mae
09-10-2015, 07:01 AM
That's interesting, two different dates. I'm not sure why Peter in one article would have April 25, and in another mention the book came out the Tuesday before Sunday, May 13.

zelig
09-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Enjoyed reading he story of the release date and window display. Peter mentions a video of the window display. I'm not seeing it though.

Randall Flagg
09-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Enjoyed reading he story of the release date and window display. Peter mentions a video of the window display. I'm not seeing it though.
Haven't put it up.
The resolution is low and it's shot from too far away. I'll upload it anyway. Later today I'll post it.

zelig
09-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Great, thanks!

Randall Flagg
09-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Oops. Scratch that. I don't have the B. Dalton window video on a data file. I only have an actual burned DVD copy. I'll figure something out, but it won't be today.

zelig
09-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Okay, sounds good. If you have a laptop with a DVD drive, there's software that can convert it to a digital format.

The Library Policeman
09-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Great background info and video.

Thanks for sharing that. Very much enjoyed it.

Br!an
09-11-2015, 04:52 AM
Okay, sounds good. If you have a laptop with a DVD drive, there's software that can convert it to a digital format.

But is there Jerome proof software available?

jsmcmullen92
09-11-2015, 08:10 AM

I don't think it is very common to find a betamax anymore :)

Merlin1958
09-11-2015, 02:23 PM

I don't think it is very common to find a betamax anymore :)

I'm seeing "Negative Rep points" for you boys in the near future!!! LOL LOL LOL

Randall Flagg
09-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Back on topic.

Ari_Racing
09-12-2015, 04:57 AM
Very interesting! Thanks, Peter!

mae
09-12-2015, 05:17 AM
I'm still curious why he would mention two release dates.

idlewarnings
09-12-2015, 05:56 AM
Finally had a chance to read and watch this. It's great. Thanks for sharing your stories with us, Pete.

Randall Flagg
09-12-2015, 12:21 PM
The B. Dalton video is a ~30 second static shot from too far away.
A screen shot captures it. You can see the window has DJ's of the book around it.
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1442089259-Stand%20BDalton%20window.jpg

zelig
09-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Interesting.

burial
09-12-2015, 01:27 PM
in the epilogue there is a sentence where Peter mentions Steve Rubin's interoffice memo... is is available somewhere?

Randall Flagg
09-13-2015, 04:49 AM
in the epilogue there is a sentence where Peter mentions Steve Rubin's interoffice memo... is is available somewhere?
Yes. I'll scan it and post it.

racerx45
09-16-2015, 07:45 PM
I really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.

Merlin1958
09-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Will there be any more future installments from, Mr. Schnieder?

carlosdetweiller
09-18-2015, 05:42 PM
I was out of town with limited internet access when this thread started so it wasn't until a very few days ago that I read Peter's write-up and watched the video. It really has me wanting to reread the complete, uncut version again. I probably haven't read it in 15 to 20 years. So, having just finished the new version of McCammon's Blue World, I am dusting off a copy of The Stand and plan to start this weekend. Really looking forward to it.

Kevbot
09-21-2015, 02:40 PM
I love these past glimpses into Stephen King's publishing world and the background of how things came to be. This is simply a wonderful look back at a classic time in King's history. Thank you very much for the video and the behind-the-scenes story!

Merlin1958
09-21-2015, 03:17 PM
I love these past glimpses into Stephen King's publishing world and the background of how things came to be. This is simply a wonderful look back at a classic time in King's history. Thank you very much for the video and the behind-the-scenes story!

Yeah, it is pretty cool!! Thanks go out to our fearless leader!!!

Randall Flagg
09-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Thanks go to Peter Schneider.

TCCBodhi
09-21-2015, 06:12 PM
I love how these stories have really brought The Stand Uncut production to life!

Sir_Boomme
09-21-2015, 10:14 PM
OK.... so this is a fun fun thread for me... I hope Peter keeps providing insight into all the behind the scenes....

As most of you know... I bought the "Doubleday Files" several years ago... and since a good portion of them have to do with The Stand - Uncut .... I'm thinking this might be a good thread to post the pictures.... I'll start with pictures I may or may not have posted elsewhere... and will start taking pictures this weekend of some of the many many other items in the collection.

If Peter drops by, I'd love any of his comments and insight into anything he recognizes... sound good?
Jerome, let me know if you object to this.

Sir_Boomme
09-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Since Peter talked about displays... here's some of the promo material dealing with the displays:
promo mailer describing the display - note the holographic signage attached to the display:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5772/20996607493_7e8f72fd93_b.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-21-2015, 10:19 PM
a pair of the test holographic signage:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5675/20996646843_4d7629c7a2_b.jpg

a closer look-see at the sign:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5758/21429739630_a3aacbd516_b.jpg

and the original photographic "negative" hologram plate used to produce these signs...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5636/21617833965_1aeecb518c_b.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-21-2015, 10:28 PM
quick... order yours now!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5789/21429893848_848cb5e52e_b.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-21-2015, 10:34 PM
I'll wait to get feedback from Jerome... and all to see if ya'll want to see more here in this thread before posting more....
all will be directly related to Doubleday and The Stand Uncut if so.

this might be the kick in the butt I needed to finally take more pics and get some of it posted here.

TCCBodhi
09-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures! Those hologram signs look amazing!

Sir_Boomme
09-21-2015, 10:41 PM
I was out of town with limited internet access when this thread started so it wasn't until a very few days ago that I read Peter's write-up and watched the video. It really has me wanting to reread the complete, uncut version again. I probably haven't read it in 15 to 20 years. So, having just finished the new version of McCammon's Blue World, I am dusting off a copy of The Stand and plan to start this weekend. Really looking forward to it.

ha Bob... I'm currently finishing up McCammon's Gone South... with Blue World sitting on the "to read shelf" as my next in line.

mae
09-21-2015, 11:08 PM
I still would love to get clarification on the two release dates mentioned by Peter. Everything I've seen prior said the release was in May and his article specified (obliquely) May 8. But in another essay it's in April. Weird.

burial
09-22-2015, 01:49 AM
I still would love to get clarification on the two release dates mentioned by Peter. Everything I've seen prior said the release was in May and his article specified (obliquely) May 8. But in another essay it's in April. Weird.

Here it is:

I went back to a 1990 calendar and started recreating how it all worked.

First off, here's how the New York Times Book Review (which features the Bestseller Lists) works its schedule. In the case of THE STAND, the issue date of the NYTBR was May 13th. However, the actual printed edition was made available the Monday prior to this (May 7th). The Bestseller List for this issue was available (via recorded message) even earlier -- in this case, Wednesday May 2nd.

The Bestseller List records sales from a Sunday through the following Saturday. The next few days (Sunday to Wednesday) are spent collating the numbers and putting the list together. The final rankings were then made available late Wednesday afternoon via the recorded message. (Of course, today the listings are available only by their website, but this was twenty-five years ago.)

Given that THE STAND went on-sale the morning of Wednesday, April 25th, this means that the sales for that week constituted only four days (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, & Saturday) as opposed to the full seven days of sales registered for all the other books on the list. Therefore, the sales of THE STAND during those four days were still higher than any of the other books had during the seven days prior -- which was a real triumph for the book.

And so, this must mean that the BDD sales conference was held the first week of May, as you said -- not the last week of April, as I had originally said.

This is an update i received from Peter few days ago while working on translation of his text.
And now it makes sense :)

Br!an
09-22-2015, 03:45 AM
:thumbsup:

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 04:30 AM
note the doubleday reserve your copy card states "Coming in May"... I'm pretty sure I have other documents and memos that clarify this also... I just need to dig deeper in the pile.

mae
09-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Would be great to get to the bottom of this. And really all other books on our official release dates list which have no exact dates still.

Randall Flagg
09-22-2015, 07:26 AM
Terry, feel free to post pictures. The more info the better.
Pablo, the question has been answered.

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 10:47 AM
So... this is early "Uncut" Stand Doubleday proposal document - "Amendment to existing contract"
As you see it has a manuscript due date of 09/01/84 with a proposed publication date of 09/85.... and we thought CD ran behind scheduled ha ha

Page1:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5796/21429696230_f9540be01f_h.jpg

Page2:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5620/20994911114_b3150d3282_h.jpg

page3:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/597/20996601553_014e6f52ae_h.jpg

and the 06/27/1984 letter to Kirby McCauley- King's Literary agent
(I personally find this letter very interestingly insightful, especially the initial suggested price for the limited edition):

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/627/21591534016_2c3b14f2bf_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5826/20994909384_849bf6d915_h.jpg

Merlin1958
09-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Great stuff, Terry!!!!!!

jhanic
09-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Very informative, Terry. Thanks!

John

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Since this thread started with Peter info... here's a letter from him regarding the Stand.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5698/20996608633_756b512869_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5782/21606337112_6e514aec59_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:05 PM
and another... talking about King Limited editions.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/717/21430797399_1171ec4dbc_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:07 PM
lots of stuff like this memo... (wonder if Peter remembers this)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5676/21606338222_f12e2d0ded_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:09 PM
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5719/21617795555_5106a21676_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5694/21429892268_072d3c3f33_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:12 PM
and one for you Brits...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5618/21591542986_e286848f7b_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5694/21429892268_072d3c3f33_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:16 PM
oh Kirby how did you manage to lose a Stephen King contract for heaven's sake?
(I'm guess Doctor Bob might have been in the area at the time)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/623/21617798545_7ee35c9c3b_h.jpg

zelig
09-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Great stuff Terry. Thanks for posting it.

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:19 PM
and this is where it all started...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5818/20996614493_09088d6fbb_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/751/21430801869_08fdbde53c_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5667/21626650151_8da147dea0_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:22 PM
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5810/20994920674_5dfe6eabc2_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5708/21430804109_0e07ac0a7d_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5835/21429897318_dc99f3db42_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:25 PM
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/626/21429899048_ffeffa2654_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/771/21429706920_56175f9d9f_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5822/21429706090_3d0f75fb82_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5706/21429705890_0e6569dc8a_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:30 PM
then of course... NAL wanted a piece of the pie and to do their part to make King a bit richer...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/607/21429901188_37c0a7dc6f_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5704/21591550996_bd12580245_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5663/21606347322_ad78f523f6_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5648/20996618003_c951fd0004_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-22-2015, 12:32 PM
not exactly Stand related... but "Peter" related.... a letter to him from King...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5756/20996619773_6b979eaf2b_h.jpg

jhanic
09-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Simply fascinating!

John

Br!an
09-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Good stuff!

"They want it for bucks; we want it for King."

TCCBodhi
09-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Amazing how such a great piece of literature can make contractual memos interesting! I'm enjoying getting to know more of the internal story! Amazing that there was any doubt that this would be a runaway hit!

carlosdetweiller
09-22-2015, 02:25 PM
I laughed when I read in Sam Vaughn's letter that he thought they might get Steve to cut some of the existing material to make more room for the new material. I'm sure that went over well.

TCCBodhi
09-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Perhaps that whole last scene with RF and Nadine.....totaly not necessary! ;) .....or Larry going through the tunnel!

Randall Flagg
09-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Perhaps that whole last scene with RF and Nadine.....totaly not necessary! ;) .....or Larry going through the tunnel!
The book would be ruined without that scene.
Take it from me...(Having had a "scene" with Nadine) you can't cut the good stuff...

idlewarnings
09-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Thanks for posting, Terry. It's fascinating material. Keep it coming, please.

Cordial Jim
09-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Great, great video clip! Thank you so much for posting it. Classic King right there. God, I just couldn't imagine having to cut 500 pages of something I wrote. 500 PAGES! Heck, I couldn't imagine WRITING 500 pages of novel, let alone cutting it. What a story.

TCCBodhi
09-22-2015, 07:48 PM
The book would be ruined without that scene.
Take it from me...(Having had a "scene" with Nadine) you can't cut the good stuff...

Just kidding....it was just the first scene that came to mind when I was trying to think of one offhand. Could have just as easily have said cut Tom Cullen out entirely! Lawds yes! M-O-O-N spells No way!

burial
09-22-2015, 10:54 PM
wow... those documents "puts a lot of light" for the process...
Awesome!

Ben Mears
09-23-2015, 02:15 AM
Fascinating insight into the behind the scenes drama that played out with this book. Feelings about the what went down with the original version were close to the surface on both sides.

mae
09-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Very interesting documents. I'm surprised that this version of The Stand went back as far as 1984. It's great that this material was preserved for future research and such.

burial
09-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Very interesting documents. I'm surprised that this version of The Stand went back as far as 1984. It's great that this material was preserved for future research and such.

All wrightson plates for the stand are dated 1984 (as far as i remember)

racerx45
09-23-2015, 10:17 AM

All wrightson plates for the stand are dated 1984 (as far as i remember)

Most were done in '84 but three are dated '85

Sir_Boomme
09-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Fascinating insight into the behind the scenes drama that played out with this book. Feelings about the what went down with the original version were close to the surface on both sides.

Oh yeah... you've only seen a small part so far...

Here is a letter from Kirby (king's agent) to Sam Vaughn.... obviously it was pretty touchy...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5761/21429710730_f622d48a50_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/607/21617806345_602eb85ebd_b.jpg

and one from Sam to King....

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/776/21617807795_2c361a2b5a_b.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-23-2015, 11:29 PM
and here's an in-house memo...that touches on the rocky relationship.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5836/21626659211_7e1768d38f_b.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-23-2015, 11:38 PM
Ok... so this King letter to Sam Vaughn is more about Pet Semetery than the Stand... but it DOES mention The Stand (so it is on topic) and is way too much fun of a letter not to post for you guys... I love this one... such personal insight into King at that time

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5825/21626661271_d08083fc06_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/748/21626660791_a50d87c56d_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/631/21606351892_b4d21cf756_b.jpg

stroppygoblin
09-24-2015, 12:28 AM
Thanks Terry, Loving this correspondence stuff!

That reference in the final part of the last letter to "going to write a novel about a fundamentalist preacher" Do we think that was what became Revival? It took 30 years for that story to get finally written? wow!

Ben Mears
09-24-2015, 02:32 AM
!

+1. An inexpensively bound (Kinkos) collection of the entire package would be intriguing.

Sir_Boomme
09-24-2015, 06:51 AM
!

+1. An inexpensively bound (Kinkos) collection of the entire package would be intriguing.

that might be difficult... since the total collection is 6 good size boxes packed full. (each about the size of my microwave).

Ben Mears
09-24-2015, 08:20 AM
!

that might be difficult... since the total collection is 6 good size boxes packed full. (each about the size of my microwave).

Rats!

Sir_Boomme
09-24-2015, 01:32 PM
now these... are some early proofs ha ha...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5620/21429689040_99c4726989_h.jpg

Sir_Boomme
09-24-2015, 01:36 PM
The Contract...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/574/21591563226_8295717355_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/737/21617816015_2defdd9b8f_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/701/21430818249_ab736ab46a_h.jpg

jhanic
09-24-2015, 01:40 PM
:thumbsup: Loving it!

John

Kevbot
09-24-2015, 02:22 PM
This is one of my favorite things ever in the history of my being a SK fan.

Sir_Boomme
09-24-2015, 02:31 PM
so... should start a sister thread for the pet semetery Double Day stuffs?

Ben Mears
09-24-2015, 02:51 PM

Yes!

idlewarnings
09-24-2015, 04:21 PM

Yes

Kevbot
09-25-2015, 12:33 PM

Oh please yes.

Sir_Boomme
09-25-2015, 03:32 PM
I'll try to get to the Pet semetery thread over the weekend sometime...
in the meantime...more Stand

I know many of you have seen this before... but for those that haven't...

any 80's heavy metal head-bangers out there?... as in old school Anthrax fans?
So here is a letter from Anthrax's lawyer to Doubleday requesting permission to use lyrics to the title song Among The Living gold album... ie their break-through album
Not only is this a cool early Stephen King Stand item, it is also probably one of the earliest printed materials of this song... a month before the song/album was released (march 1987).

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/714/21527054658_d126acf18d_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5792/21526964170_b12644c816_b.jpg

the album... (which I also just happen to own)
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/770/21703587662_30edc2f32c_b.jpg

and here's the song for you younguns that might not know what the hell this post is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0-Yj52ErQ

Sir_Boomme
09-25-2015, 03:50 PM
cha....CHING!
can you imagine how much he has made off this one book by now.... that's all I'd need to be set for life... just revenue from just one of his books, please!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5751/21703371632_21d7a31a6f_b.jpg

and then there's the book club... not to mention all the residuals since... (just 1 book, that's I'll I'm asking for)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5633/21092181274_bb892746bb_b.jpg

jhanic
09-25-2015, 05:25 PM
WOW!!!

John