PDA

View Full Version : Which would you prefer to be given?

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 04:08 PM
So... just curious if if Mr Rabbit Trick is right about this...

If Christmas came early... and you had no King items in your collection at all....
which would you prefer to receive:

A Copy of New Lieutenant's Rap:
Publisher: Philtrum Press (USA).
Year of publication: 1999.
print runs...
limited edition: edition of 500 copies. This book was never offered for sale to the general public and 100-150 of the copies were given away at a party celebrating SK's silver anniversary in book publishing.
plus uncorrected proofs: 24 numbered copies and an indeterminate number of unsigned/ unnumbered copies.

A copy of The Plant 1, 2 OR 3 (your choice, but not all three, that would be an unfair comparison):
Publisher: Philtrum Press (USA).
Years of publication: 1982, 1983, 1985.
print runs....
numbered 226 copies (200 numbered and 26 lettered ),
plus designer's proof (green wrappers, identical to S/L edition). Print run: unknown.

a copy of The Drum:
The Lisbon High School Newspaper
includes the early King short story "Code Named Mousetrap"
Year published Oct, 1965
6 copies known to exist.

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 04:44 PM
The Drum "stories" have a limited appeal. A lot more people would like a NLR or Plant than a Drum.
(Kerry, David and you have 'Codename: Moustrap' and Bob has 'The 43rd Dream', but none of you have ‘Band Uniforms’ which was published in 1964.)
The Drum stories are basically crap and only a few sentences, but NLR and Plant are quite good, and value for money.

to continue that conversation here... addressing your thoughts on this... and using your standards to set value...

By comparison... a first edition of "It" definitely has more substance .... more sentences ... and is a lot better story than The Plant or New Lieutenant's rap is...

that said, using the above standards you judge The Drum's value... The first edition of "It" should be priced at a much much higher value than any of the three. Since simple rarity doesn't seem to be part of your formula.

thoughts?

carlosdetweiller
08-05-2015, 04:56 PM
I'll go with a copy of The Drum. You would probably only get one chance (if you are lucky) to add one of those to your collection. NLRs come up for sale often enough that you could still add one of those if you wanted. Copies of The Plant are always coming up for sale.

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 05:03 PM
and for the record... this is just a hypothetical for fun commentary... since I have absolutely no interest in selling my copy ever...
and I seriously doubt I'd ever get a chance to buy that 43rd Dream from Bob.

plus... the poll is pretty meaningless when it comes to actual value... since all it takes is two completists that really want an item to run up the value on something that rarely- if ever comes up for sale, whether it be a Salem's lot 1st/1st, the Drum, long double day proofs, an original manuscript, a burnt lettered firestarter, or an official one of a kind Finder's Keepers donut.

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 05:06 PM
damn!!!!!*...

I should have included the donut in the freaking poll... but I guess that would have been unfair to the other three.

jhanic
08-05-2015, 05:17 PM
I said the Drum. I already own a numbered copy of NLR, and a proof of Plant 3.

John

Randall Flagg
08-05-2015, 05:23 PM
damn!!!!!*...

I should have included the donut in the freaking poll... but I guess that would have been unfair to the other three.
I added the donut.
Anyone who has already voted and wished to change their vote can let me know.

André Linoge
08-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Damn. If I'd've known how famous this donut would become I'd've taken it when you offered it to me in the theater, Terry!

zelig
08-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Um, you forgot the one-of-a-kind Finders Keepers soda can. It goes along with the donut.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/fk-can_zpsa1hm7syy.png

The Library Policeman
08-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Hahaha that's great!

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 06:21 PM
thanks RF...

the resin casting kit is supposed to arrive tomorrow or friday, this weekend I plan to make test proto-type castings of a couple of donuts to get some practice BEFORE casting the official donut in clear resin.

though it's not in the plans....somehow I believe jhanic will somehow end up with one of the donut proofs. he has connections you know.

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Um, you forgot the one-of-a-kind Finders Keepers soda can. It goes along with the donut.

I'd try to locate one of these for my collection... but with all the recent controversy, I have taken a stance against canned hunts.

needfulthings
08-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Lets look at the whole packages.
1. The New Lieutenant's Rap would include 1. The booklet 2. the envelope 3. The Peace Necklace 4. Signed 1st Edition The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon 5. The Quiz.
2. THE PLANT would be ALL THREE PARTS & its XMAS so they would be signed to you.
3 The Drum." Code Name Mousetrap" issue. I will even throw in a full set of The Drum (Just to make it fair)
NOW "LETS START THE POLL"

east-tennessee
08-05-2015, 06:36 PM

make it a Beer and im in...........+

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Lets look at the whole packages.
1. The New Lieutenant's Rap would include 1. The booklet 2. the envelope 3. The Peace Necklace 4. Signed 1st Edition The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon 5. The Quiz.
2. THE PLANT would be ALL THREE PARTS & its XMAS so they would be signed to you.
3 The Drum." Code Name Mousetrap" issue. I will even throw in a full set of The Drum (Just to make it fair)
NOW "LETS START THE POLL"

If you're going with the whole packages.....got to include...

4. The Donut, the Soda cup and the straw that Stephen king drank from, the chair he sat is butt in.... and the two hot chicks sitting at the table....

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/475/20144002640_c0b13759f7_c.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/445/20144057088_a2ce8332a4_c.jpg

dnemec
08-05-2015, 06:57 PM

I'd try to locate one of these for my collection... but with all the recent controversy, I have taken a stance against canned hunts.

LOVE!!!!!!!! :wtf:

needfulthings
08-05-2015, 07:14 PM
PLEASE MOVE THIS POLL TO THE "ODD'S LANE" FORM. with the rest of the JOKES.:rolleyes:
This would have been an interesting poll until it turned into a sham.

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 08:44 PM
just because there are people laughing and having a little fun, doesn't make it a non-serious poll...

I will start a new poll if you like... one that asks people if we all have to frown while we are being polled.

T-Dogz_AK47
08-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Voted for the Donut and the two hot chicks sitting at the table.... :D

No wait this is a serious poll, I forgot I have to frown whilst I am being polled.... :frown1:

needfulthings
08-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Like I said Move it to the JOKE form ...people are voting for a FUCKING donut.

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 09:09 PM
hey now... watch how you slander the donut!
I did not have sex with that donut.... that hole is till pure.

...and that's just icing...no, really it is.....

Sir_Boomme
08-05-2015, 09:12 PM
and come on, if the poll thread really bothers you that much...just don't click on it....

everybody's wound so tight lately....jeeez

T-Dogz_AK47
08-05-2015, 10:15 PM

Terry, that donut you gave me has some strange "custard" in it.... :o

Have you been FUCKING donuts again? LOL! LOL! LOL! :tongue1:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/03c97d14-6cec-4f06-bd8e-7f5bc8fa3149_zpsggljua4u.jpg

biomieg
08-06-2015, 12:23 AM
NLR all the way! I agree with Alan that the really early King stuff has limited appeal to King collectors in general. Either you are interested in magazines/juvenilia or you are not.

webstar1000
08-06-2015, 03:43 AM
NLR all the way! I agree with Alan that the really early King stuff has limited appeal to King collectors in general. Either you are interested in magazines/juvenilia or you are not.

TOTALLY agree. I would want the FULL NLR set. It has appeal to every collector. I did not know of the DRUM till yesterday and do not collect magazines.

Ben Staad
08-06-2015, 04:26 AM
Both NLR and The Plant have a wider general appeal to the collecting community however both can be found for purchase. Introducing an item to my collection that is essentially unattainable holds greater interest to me. It is also an item that has historical value that cannot be found in many other King collectibles.

bdwyer19
08-06-2015, 05:20 AM

That's exactly why I would want NLR too. Would be absolutely awesome to have in my collection. If the unforeseen happened, and I had to sell it, there would be a large resale market for it.

Sir_Boomme
08-06-2015, 06:09 AM

TOTALLY agree. I would want the FULL NLR set. It has appeal to every collector. I did not know of the DRUM till yesterday and do not collect magazines.

It's not a magazine.... it is King's high School Newspaper....which is very very different from something like the early magazines.

It's is King's writing in it's earliest form. and as rare as a Salem's lot 1st/1st Jacket.... which btw has less words on it and came a decade later...which is the comparison that started me on the quest of value...

and you're defiantly entitled to have your own opinion on what to collect (I'm personally not a fan of the remarques, while other are huge fans),
but so far from the poll results show, apparently the drum has just as much or more appeal to collectors as the other items, so I'm not sure I agree with Alan's and your abstract conclusions.

Sir_Boomme
08-06-2015, 06:14 AM

Terry, that donut you gave me has some strange "custard" in it.... :o

Have you been FUCKING donuts again? LOL! LOL! LOL! :tongue1:

how do you think donuts get that hole in them?
Before I designed chips... I designed donuts.... Krispy Cream's production methodology was developed by me.

webstar1000
08-06-2015, 06:16 AM

It's not a magazine.... it is King's high School Newspaper....which is very very different from something like the early magazines.

It's is King's writing in it's earliest form. and as rare as a Salem's lot 1st/1st Jacket.... which btw has less words on it and came a decade later...which is the comparison that started me on the quest of value...

and you're defiantly entitled to have your own opinion on what to collect (I'm personally not a fan of the remarques, while other are huge fans),
but so far from the poll results show, apparently the drum has just as much or more appeal to collectors as the other items, so I'm not sure I agree with Alan's and your abstract conclusions.

Sorry... I do not collect magazines or newspapers. lol I was also not asking for you to agree with what I (as in my own) thoughts on the subject are. YOU ASKED... thus I gave my (again as in my own thoughts) opinion on what I would like to have. Call them abstract if you will but they are my own and I shall love and hold them forever:)

Sir_Boomme
08-06-2015, 06:18 AM
What's the most popular guy at the nudist colony?

The guy that can carry 2 cups of coffee and a dozen donuts.

What's the most popular girl at the nudist colony?

The girl that can hold two cups of coffee and eat that last donut.

Sir_Boomme
08-06-2015, 06:24 AM

Sorry... I do not collect magazines or newspapers. lol I was also not asking for you to agree with what I (as in my own) thoughts on the subject are. YOU ASKED... thus I gave my (again as in my own thoughts) opinion on what I would like to have. Call them abstract if you will but they are my own and I shall love and hold them forever:)

you misunderstood... the abstract thoughts comments I questioned were not what you liked or wanted (I could and would never do that)... rather, it was the comment that there is more general appeal to other collectors for the Plant and NLR.
So far the poll does not support that conclusion... thus the conclusion at this point is not based on fact... but rather abstract opinion...
Now a week from now, the data generated by this poll may end up supporting your conclusion.... and verify it... but currently, that is not the case.

Randall Flagg
08-06-2015, 06:41 AM
Looks like even with 3 votes for "Donut", the numbers tell what people want.
Full disclosure, I voted for donut as a lark.
Just drop the 3 donut votes and the numbers are:

NLR 35.71%
Plant 14.28%
Drum 50%

Sir_Boomme
08-06-2015, 07:53 AM
and again... the poll really doesn't matter as far as value goes...
it only takes two people really wanting an item to drive up any auction.
likewise... two people may be willing to pay 15,000.00 for a drum... because they have to have it for THEIR collection...
meanwhile, 50 people may decide 2000.00 for a NLR is a better deal, and since they don't have that item... that particular auction might see a lot more action.

perhaps one day a drum will come up for sale and we'll see what actually happens...
but I can tell you this... if Bob's 42nd dream Drum ever goes to market... and I'm still alive and kicking... the rest of you better bring your "A" games.... 'cause I'm in for the win.

webstar1000
08-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Can I ask what the code name part of it means?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-06-2015, 08:05 AM

He reached through and caught the lock’s catch. A moment later it was off. The automatic door-opening device cut in, and he had to jump back as the big doors swung smoothly open.
There was a piece of white paper taped to the inner door, and a note had been scrawled across it. Kelly read it quickly.
“New burglar device installed. Tests out fine.”
Albert Williamson
Representative, B.J. Burglar Alarms

And across the bottom of the paper: Code Name: MOUSETRAP .
Kelly drew back warily. A new burglar alarm. There could be trouble …
He dug for his flash, and scanned the walls for trip-wires, alarm boxes, or photoelectric cells. There were none.
Shrugging, he stepped forward. New burglar alarm or not, the time for backing out had gone by.

webstar1000
08-06-2015, 08:10 AM

He reached through and caught the lock’s catch. A moment later it was off. The automatic door-opening device cut in, and he had to jump back as the big doors swung smoothly open.
There was a piece of white paper taped to the inner door, and a note had been scrawled across it. Kelly read it quickly.
“New burglar device installed. Tests out fine.”
Albert Williamson
Representative, B.J. Burglar Alarms

And across the bottom of the paper: Code Name: MOUSETRAP .
Kelly drew back warily. A new burglar alarm. There could be trouble …
He dug for his flash, and scanned the walls for trip-wires, alarm boxes, or photoelectric cells. There were none.
Shrugging, he stepped forward. New burglar alarm or not, the time for backing out had gone by.

ok.... mayhap a tad more info my good man?

divemaster
08-06-2015, 08:22 AM
I voted NLR for 2 main reasons: it's got a neat backstory and you sortof had to be "in the know" to get it originally; and, I assume it's interesting and well written, certainly in the style of the King we've come to know and love. For those reasons, The Plant would be my second vote. I can't imagine the Drum to be anything worth reading.

Sir_Boomme
08-06-2015, 08:58 AM
since the plant and new lieutenants rap are easily found in different formats... reading the story doesn't matter to me in this case... a 10.00 bill can buy you ice-cream, but I'll take the 1955 double die stamped penny any day.

I guess just I draw a bigger distinction between what I would prefer to read... and what I think is more collectable.

But I also have The Plants and a NLR... because they definitely aren't chump change items .

biomieg
08-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Come to think of it, I did not understand Terry's premise correctly. I would definitely prefer to be given a copy of the Drum but if I were asked to spend money either on the Drum or on NLR I would choose the latter.

zelig
08-06-2015, 11:42 AM
I'll go with a copy of The Drum. You would probably only get one chance (if you are lucky) to add one of those to your collection. NLRs come up for sale often enough that you could still add one of those if you wanted. Copies of The Plant are always coming up for sale.

It's interesting to read the different opinions on this. My initial reaction was for NLR. But having read Bob's reasoning above, that actually makes more sense. Even though NLR is more desirable to me, the rarity of Drum wins out.

stroppygoblin
08-07-2015, 12:54 AM

It's interesting to read the different opinions on this. My initial reaction was for NLR. But having read Bob's reasoning above, that actually makes more sense. Even though NLR is more desirable to me, the rarity of Drum wins out.

It's never just about rarity though is it? in order for it to become collectible it has to be rarity combined with collective desire. There are many things that there are only one of - You can create a self bound copy of a 25th printing of Finders Keepers for instance, but that doesn't make it super collectible. Someone posted that their copy of TWTTKH was incorrectly bound upside down, does it become super valuable? no. However, some things like this do become desirable, misprinted 'salem's Lot dJ's, for example.

an individual personally might find one item more desirable than the other, but it is collective desire that ultimately makes it collectible and therefore more valuable.

herbertwest
08-07-2015, 01:51 AM
But there is a difference between a 25th printing of FINDERS KEEPERS and 1/300 copies of a very early short story, isnt it?

zelig
08-07-2015, 06:50 AM
But there is a difference between a 25th printing of FINDERS KEEPERS and 1/300 copies of a very early short story, isnt it?

Yes, that's what I was going to say. Sure I see your point on one of a kind items vs desirability (Simon), but in this case we have both elements in Drum. Rare and desirable. I know it may not be as desirable to me as say someone who collects story appearances, but I would still choose it because of its rarity. And we are specifically talking about Drum here, not a rebound FK.

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 07:22 AM
an individual personally might find one item more desirable than the other, but it is collective desire that ultimately makes it collectible and therefore more valuable.

I would disagree with this statement...
many many more people collect hot wheel cars and tons more people collect shot glasses than those that collect Stephen king limiteds.... but the limiteds are worth a lot more.

it only takes a small subset of people with the finances and desire to determine the going rate value.... that is why out of all the car owners in the world... Lamborghini's, Farrari's and Bugatti's sell for so much.

It is the 1%'er's and the rarity of the item....that determine the values... in the case of SK collectables, the completests with disposable income and a few screws loose. (aka Bob)

the subset of individuals here that collects lettered editions is small... but just because there are fewer of those people... doesn't mean those lettered editions are going to be less valuable than the numbered or trade editions. Why? because they are rarer, more unique.... and it's really really cool to own something that nobody else can get.

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 07:30 AM
If there are only 6 copies... and there are only 7 people that want those copies... and those 7 people have money to blow...
it is those 7 people that will determine the value of that particular item....
the other 7,261,165,602 people are irrelevant in determining what it is worth.

webstar1000
08-07-2015, 07:31 AM
If there are only 6 copies... and there are only 7 people that want those copies... and those 7 people have money to blow...

What happens when one dies? And there is no other to want that item? It immediately starts to lose value.. what about when there is only 5 people and 6 items. Supply and Demand is all we are talking about here... age old supply and demand.

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 07:36 AM

What happens when one dies? And there is no other to want that item? It immediately starts to lose value.. what about when there is only 5 people and 6 items. Supply and Demand is all we are talking about here... age old supply and demand.

exactly... it's a ratio.... 6 copies verses 500 copies.... requires a much smaller pool of interested people to drive the cost up. Hence where the rarity becomes a major determining factor.

webstar1000
08-07-2015, 08:03 AM

exactly... it's a ratio.... 6 copies verses 500 copies.... requires a much smaller pool of interested people to drive the cost up. Hence where the rarity becomes a major determining factor.

It does... but that is not supply and demand. Something being rare doesnt mean it is in demand. Just that there is a lower supply... NLR to me is in demand by more then the Drum...

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Note, I am not talking about turnover rate....
the $180,000.00 to $230,000.00 houses in my neighborhood average 2-3 days on the market before selling...
Over in Sandra Bullock and Michael Dell's hoods... where the "average" house runs 10 mil... the time on market is more like 7 months... but those house are still worth a lot more.

But consider this... if you are a completest

NLR has probably 175 copies floating around counting those proofs, maybe more
if 1/6th of those come up for sale every 10 years.... that's 29+ copies in a decade...or about 3 copies a year
in a 40 year span of collecting life... a person would have over 116 chances to snag a copy

the Drum has 6 known copies
if 1/6th of those come up for sale every 10 years.... that's 1 copy in a decade...
in a 40 year span of collecting life... a person would perhaps have 4 chances to snag a copy

If you decided you thought the price on a NLR was to much.... you could decide to pass and wait for the next copy to show up later in the year...so the pricing effects that pool of buyers more.

however, if a Drum comes up for sale... knowing that another one might not show up for another decade or more... it would most likely create a slightly higher demand (a buy it while you can mentality) and thus increase it's ratio... and drive the price up.

I know I'm suffering from non-buyer's remorse on a couple of items I've passed on in the past.

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 08:19 AM

It does... but that is not supply and demand. Something being rare doesnt mean it is in demand. Just that there is a lower supply... NLR to me is in demand by more then the Drum...

demand is nothing more than desiring to have.... and as shown by this poll, I think you might be using that abstract conclusion thingy I mentioned...
but you did say "to me" at least... so I can agree with that... to you... it might be more in demand... overall though, I think you're possibly in the minority.

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 08:20 AM
BTW... I plan to take my copy to the grave... so when I die... the other 5 copies should go up in value.....

webstar1000
08-07-2015, 08:21 AM

demand is nothing more than desiring to have.... and as shown by this poll, I think you might be using that abstract conclusion thingy I mentioned...
but you did say "to me" at least... so I can agree with that... to you... it might be more in demand... overall though, I think you're possibly in the minority.

With 15 - 16 in the voting..... I am surely not in any minority. lol

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 08:21 AM
one way to guarantee at least some of ya'll come to my funeral....
but please rebury me after digging me up later that night.

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 08:26 AM
actually... 15 is less than 16... so, at this particular moment, you are in a minority.... when there is only a 1 seat difference in Congress... they don't do away with the Majority and Minority whips and just call it evens.
LOL

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 08:29 AM
ha ha... must have logged in with a different account and voted... now... you're NOT in the minority ha ha

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 08:31 AM
damn... how many accounts do you have webster... you're not from Florida are you?

webstar1000
08-07-2015, 08:39 AM
actually... 15 is less than 16... so, at this particular moment, you are in a minority.... when there is only a 1 seat difference in Congress... they don't do away with the Majority and Minority whips and just call it evens.
LOL

The Plant or the donut would in fact be the minority here. Not NLR...

EDIT: A) I do not cheat. B) I have one account. C) You my good man.. are the "minority" now as you "call" 2nd place out of 4th. lol

:onfire:

zelig
08-07-2015, 08:45 AM
...because they are rarer, more unique.... and it's really really cool to own something that nobody else can get.

This is something that drives most collectors I think.. At least I know it does for me. I'm referring to the need to own something that no one else has. Maybe it's a personality defect, or a desire to feel important. The problem with this is that on the one hand, it's amazing being able to see some one-of-a-kind or six-of-a-kind items, etc... but if you're someone who doesn't own one of these items, it's highly improbable that you ever will. And that realization kind of bums you out. It's sort of like unrequited love.

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 08:52 AM
LOL

The Plant or the donut would in fact be the minority here. Not NLR...

EDIT: A) I do not cheat. B) I have one account. C) You my good man.. are the "minority" now as you "call" 2nd place out of 4th. lol

:onfire:

true... very true...
but I'm happy being in the Minority of people and the only person here owns all three Plants, a NLR, A Drum.... and.... The Donut

BAAAM! .... love ya man.

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 08:55 AM
...because they are rarer, more unique.... and it's really really cool to own something that nobody else can get.

This is something that drives most collectors I think.. At least I know it does for me. I'm referring to the need to own something that no one else has. Maybe it's a personality defect, or a desire to feel important. The problem with this is that on the one hand, it's amazing being able to see some one-of-a-kind or six-of-a-kind items, etc... but if you're someone who doesn't own one of these items, it's highly improbable that you ever will. And that realization kind of bums you out. It's sort of like unrequited love.

yeah... I'm that way with Bob's collection... It never ceases to bum me out.... but in a really nice way at least.

neo_trinity
08-07-2015, 09:19 AM
I just voted on this poll as I find it interesting. Prudence Grant would be so happy to know how her find still causes such conversation a decade later. It is very easy to see who has a copy of The Drum by their passion in writing. I believe that Sir_Boomme would never sell his copy and that is fair enough. I am sure Bob feels the same. If a substantial dollar value was offered to one of the other 3 owners, it's possible that someone whose finances or passion was not as secure, would be willing to part with it. When a collector doesn't receive an incentive to part with an item (ie: money), that is greater than the pleasure obtained with owning said item, then they will never sell.

While similar in rarity, "Songs for the Philologists" was Tolkien's first published works (he wrote 13 of the 30 songs) and was privately printed in 1936 before The Hobbit. It is believed that 14 copies exist today. While rare, copies occasionally come up for sale and can sit for months with a bookseller before they find a buyer. Owners believe that 1 of 14 has to be worth a lot and that belief means that they won't take a low price for it. It can list for anywhere between $15,000 and $25,000 at a recent Antiquarian Book Fair in San Francisco where 2 copies were for sale. "The Hobbit" on the other hand was printed with 1,500 copies in the First Edition. There are several hundred copies remaining in various conditions. If priced correctly, they NEVER sit with a book seller and I have yet to ever find an auction that a copy didn't sell at. These don't have to be signed and can regularly sell for over $100,000 if the dust jacket is in good condition. There is more than 14 and always will be. No matter how popular Tolkien continues to rise in the future, "Songs for the Philologists" will always be worth less than a First Hobbit simply because it has a wider audience, and the people that have never heard of Philologists, never will. It won't hurt Hobbit sales.

I can understand the other collectors that place a higher desire for the Rap, and it's true that some people didn't even know of the existence of The Drum until just recently, so not having it will not be a major disappointment to them as a result. The Rap has long been known to exist, and while I don't agree that there are 180+ copies floating around, they are not exactly being sold daily. A full set is still a nice find when and if they become available.

Supply and demand still do play a part in fueling collectors passion. The Drum and The Rap are basically homogeneous products that only differ in the condition that they have been preserved in, or whether Stephen has signed them. What would have made this poll interesting is when you throw in a non-homogeneous product to compare it to. Many people have read "Before the Play" in Whispers (1982), but I don't believe that many have read "After the Play". The great thing about Stephen's works, is that there is many more rare items out there that have yet to be revealed.

Gerald

DoctorZaius
08-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Very eloquent, Gerald, and most informative. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

webstar1000
08-07-2015, 09:32 AM
I just voted on this poll as I find it interesting. Prudence Grant would be so happy to know how her find still causes such conversation a decade later. It is very easy to see who has a copy of The Drum by their passion in writing. I believe that Sir_Boomme would never sell his copy and that is fair enough. I am sure Bob feels the same. If a substantial dollar value was offered to one of the other 3 owners, it's possible that someone whose finances or passion was not as secure, would be willing to part with it. When a collector doesn't receive an incentive to part with an item (ie: money), that is greater than the pleasure obtained with owning said item, then they will never sell.

While similar in rarity, "Songs for the Philologists" was Tolkien's first published works (he wrote 13 of the 30 songs) and was privately printed in 1936 before The Hobbit. It is believed that 14 copies exist today. While rare, copies occasionally come up for sale and can sit for months with a bookseller before they find a buyer. Owners believe that 1 of 14 has to be worth a lot and that belief means that they won't take a low price for it. It can list for anywhere between $15,000 and $25,000 at a recent Antiquarian Book Fair in San Francisco where 2 copies were for sale. "The Hobbit" on the other hand was printed with 1,500 copies in the First Edition. There are several hundred copies remaining in various conditions. If priced correctly, they NEVER sit with a book seller and I have yet to ever find an auction that a copy didn't sell at. These don't have to be signed and can regularly sell for over $100,000 if the dust jacket is in good condition. There is more than 14 and always will be. No matter how popular Tolkien continues to rise in the future, "Songs for the Philologists" will always be worth less than a First Hobbit simply because it has a wider audience, and the people that have never heard of Philologists, never will. It won't hurt Hobbit sales.

I can understand the other collectors that place a higher desire for the Rap, and it's true that some people didn't even know of the existence of The Drum until just recently, so not having it will not be a major disappointment to them as a result. The Rap has long been known to exist, and while I don't agree that there are 180+ copies floating around, they are not exactly being sold daily. A full set is still a nice find when and if they become available.

Supply and demand still do play a part in fueling collectors passion. The Drum and The Rap are basically homogeneous products that only differ in the condition that they have been preserved in, or whether Stephen has signed them. What would have made this poll interesting is when you throw in a non-homogeneous product to compare it to. Many people have read "Before the Play" in Whispers (1982), but I don't believe that many have read "After the Play". The great thing about Stephen's works, is that there is many more rare items out there that have yet to be revealed.

Gerald

Gerald, let me again thank you for posting more. I also would LOVE a collection thread. But I enjoyed this read:) Your a real asset to this community!

needfulthings
08-07-2015, 09:54 AM
JUST WHAT WAS TV GUIDES CIRCULATION IN 1997? :unsure:
:evil:
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/1589/k6SBsq.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img537/3168/1UjlB0.jpg
:lol:

webstar1000
08-07-2015, 09:58 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/1589/k6SBsq.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img537/3168/1UjlB0.jpg

This is rare??? I have a copy and don't even take care of it. LOL Can someone confirm if this has value?

bdwyer19
08-07-2015, 10:00 AM

This is rare??? I have a copy and don't even take care of it. LOL Can someone confirm if this has value?

If you don't take care of it, probably not much :)

neo_trinity
08-07-2015, 10:03 AM

That was not what I was talking about. "After The Play" has never been in print and even Stephen doesn't have the original manuscript or even a copy. It was not in TV Guide. "Before The Play" has been reprinted many times since The Shining was completed.

neo_trinity
08-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Gerald, let me again thank you for posting more. I also would LOVE a collection thread. But I enjoyed this read:) Your a real asset to this community!

Thank you Kris and DoctorZaius.

needfulthings
08-07-2015, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=needfulthings;938751]JUST WHAT WAS TV GUIDES CIRCULATION IN 1997? :unsure:

This is rare??? I have a copy and don't even take care of it. LOL Can someone confirm if this has value?[/
THAT WAS MY POINT.....Thousand's of people have READ it. I DID NOT say it was RARE.:doh:
Now After the Play...That's another story.:lol:

herbertwest
08-07-2015, 10:24 AM

That was not what I was talking about. "After The Play" has never been in print and even Stephen doesn't have the original manuscript or even a copy. It was not in TV Guide. "Before The Play" has been reprinted many times since The Shining was completed.

Actually, a few years back Bob provided proof that the original copy of "After the play" went for sale in auction circa 1992, before disappearing of the surface of Earth. The proof he shared was a page from the auction book.
But I bet that you already knew all of that ;)

Great point Gerald. Although the comparison with the two Tolkien's do not really match for a specific reason : THE HOBBIT is notorious and popular. New Rap or The Plant isn't.
I think that it would be a more interesting comparison to ask : THE DRUM or one of (unique?) oblong proof copy of CARRIE or SHINING?

webstar1000
08-07-2015, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=needfulthings;938751]JUST WHAT WAS TV GUIDES CIRCULATION IN 1997? :unsure:

This is rare??? I have a copy and don't even take care of it. LOL Can someone confirm if this has value?[/
THAT WAS MY POINT.....Thousand's of people have READ it. I DID NOT say it was RARE.:doh:

make your points more clear. Or add anther spoiler... I don't give a shit.

neo_trinity
08-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Actually, a few years back Bob provided proof that the original copy of "After the play" went for sale in auction circa 1992, before disappearing of the surface of Earth. The proof he shared was a page from the auction book.
But I bet that you already knew all of that ;)

Great point Gerald. Although the comparison with the two Tolkien's do not really match for a specific reason : THE HOBBIT is notorious and popular. New Rap or The Plant isn't.
I think that it would be a more interesting comparison to ask : THE DRUM or one of (unique?) oblong proof copy of CARRIE or SHINING?

Touché. I was only talking about The Rap and The Plant because that was what the poll started with. At the moment, there is no King trade editions that are worth as much as The Drum, but the future is not yet written, so it's not possible to predict the future value of Carrie or Salem's Lot in comparison to this pre-publication book now.

Roseannebarr
08-07-2015, 10:39 AM
I thought I better answer your poll, why do I get the feeling that you plan on giving away one of these? Probably to someone you who responded here, with a witty or funny post.

PICK me. PS. I don't want the donut.

webstar1000
08-07-2015, 10:45 AM
I thought I better answer your poll, why do I get the feeling that you plan on giving away one of these? Probably to someone you who responded here, with a witty or funny post.

Can you imagine? I had a dream once that a collector (not anyone in the dream in particular) left a book or two to every active member of the site. I think in the dream he died... cannot remember though... They just started randomly showing up and no one knew from where or how and they were books these people needed or wanted.. so they would not just sell them!

needfulthings
08-07-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry if I have to explain the jokes to you....But then you never did have a sense of humor.

I'm sorry I have to explain the jokes to you... but then you never did have a sense of humor.

jhanic
08-07-2015, 11:06 AM
I would like to add that the "Before the Play" version that was published in TV Guide is not the complete version. The only full printing (that I know of) was in the Whispers #17/18 (December 1982) issue.

John

webstar1000
08-07-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry if I have to explain the jokes to you....But then you never did have a sense of humor.

I'm sorry I have to explain the jokes to you... but then you never did have a sense of humor.

Not for your ignorant bullshit. I am not going to get into what I think of you but I'm sure you know. I'm sure you have someone's collection to bash and boast how yours is the most awesome thing in the world so I'll let it be.

T-Dogz_AK47
08-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Soooooo.... Who would like a donut? :unsure:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/8bed1444-375a-4707-b77d-260948fabce6_zpsapuvr2rd.png

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 12:11 PM
this is a fun, what if.... no serious no drama thread... so settle down now... Hear!?

hmmmm... I would probably have to go with the long proofs... as far as I know, they are rarer... but wait... I really like that early drum.... hell, I don't know- that's way to hard to decide....

now... if one of you with that first first salem's lot want to trade for the drum... that might be an easier decision... maybe not... but I'd definitely trade my donut for one....

Randall Flagg
08-07-2015, 12:31 PM
More and more I'm happy I voted donut...

Sir_Boomme
08-07-2015, 12:35 PM

Can you imagine? I had a dream once that a collector (not anyone in the dream in particular) left a book or two to every active member of the site. I think in the dream he died... cannot remember though... They just started randomly showing up and no one knew from where or how and they were books these people needed or wanted.. so they would not just sell them!

I actually have thought about that, seriously... having no children, or spouse, my dad's on his last leg... and I'm definitely tapping out soon myself with all the crap I've been plagued with over the past few years.

I figured I'd divide up the vehicles/house/toys between the 3 siblings, divide up the monies between the nephews and nieces.

However, the book collection is to damn big and cumbersome for any of them to have time to mess with....not to mention none of them have a clue what any of it is worth.

So I'm left withwilling it to a bonfire to BBQ my dead body on, or buying a big ass grave to hold all the books plus me, or give it to a museum... who'd stash it all away in a dark room never to be seen again...
or give away to my friends.... one or two items a piece.

Problem is... I'm way too big of an ass, and only my dogs like me....
so, I'm thinking maybe I should start hanging out with that bum that lives under the bridge up the road.

Probably need to will it to whoever promises to take care of my pups the best.

(I'm so off subject here)

Randall Flagg
08-07-2015, 12:44 PM
I'll care for your dogs If you will me all of the King stuff and the Gremlin (I don't want the Fiero).

T-Dogz_AK47
08-07-2015, 12:44 PM
More and more I'm happy I voted donut...

:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1: :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/Mobile%20Uploads/donuts_zpsox7laphr.png

jsmcmullen92
08-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Hey I'm right down the road the easiest drop would for sure be my place :)

TCCBodhi
08-07-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm sure they'd enjoy a slightly cooler climate, but we'd still be close enough for them to occasionally visit and hike a leg on you. :)

Roseannebarr
08-07-2015, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=Roseannebarr;938767]I thought I better answer your poll, why do I get the feeling that you plan on giving away one of these? Probably to someone you who responded here, with a witty or funny post.

Probably need to will it to whoever promises to take care of my pups the best.

(I'm so off subject here)

Please consider me as a candidate to care for your dogs (and books). References available upon request. We have a home on 1 1/2 acres. Backing up to a 40 acre park. My wife loves to take long walks with my moms dog, she has agreed to nightly walks with yours, My cousin his an executive with purina, free food/treats for life.

Dogs can have their own bedroom, tv etc.....

Thanks!

T-Dogz_AK47
08-08-2015, 02:01 AM
Please consider me as a candidate to care for your dogs (and books). References available upon request. We have a home on 1 1/2 acres. Backing up to a 40 acre park. My wife loves to take long walks with my moms dog, she has agreed to nightly walks with yours, My cousin his an executive with purina, free food/treats for life.

Dogs can have their own bedroom, tv etc.....

Thanks!

LOL! :lol:

Ari_Racing
08-13-2015, 12:41 PM
The Drum for sure!