PDA

View Full Version : Penny Dreadful

Ricky
06-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Anyone else watching this?

I was very skeptical going into the first season last year (the marketing campaign didn't really make it look like anything special), but it surprised me and quickly became one of my favorite shows.

allasorte
06-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Jesus, it's just me and you. WTF?!

Anyway, I preached to horror fans they might like it. It's dark, dark scenery, dark characters (everyone has secrets), great acting, cool villains, odd takes of the adaption from the small penny dreadful clips, and the first season was only 8 episodes. So you can blow through it rather quickly. I like when you see something and then it isn't explained until several episodes later. Every character I rather like a lot. But I wasn't a fan of Van Helsing being so old. Wish he was younger and a staple on the show for the characters to learn from him. I will say that I hope each show isn't like American Horror Story. Where it's fixated on one topic for one season and then changes completely the next. Like season one you have vampires, and so far, none is season 2 and the main villains are something else. Should I have marked spoilers? Maybe I'm writing a novella to myself. lol

Ricky
06-12-2015, 03:36 PM
I think you're good without marking spoilers. I'll ask one of the mods to put *Spoilers!* in the thread title.

I agree about your comment about not liking it if it ends up being like AHS in terms of each season being something different. However, I like that (even though S1 had the vampires storyline, and now we've got the witches) it's still focused on Vanessa and her battle with possession, which is continued from the first season.

And I was very skeptical about the witches going into this season, but Helen McCrory is killing it.

Merlin1958
06-12-2015, 03:42 PM
I'll give it a go. Channel and time slot?

allasorte
06-12-2015, 04:13 PM
I'll give it a go. Channel and time slot?

It's on after Game of Thrones at 10PM on.......Showtime. First season is 8 episodes only as they weren't sure if it would be liked. It was, so second season will be larger. I'm hoping 13, but I don't truly know.

Merlin1958
06-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Thanks, I'm on it. I get "showtime" in my satellite package so I should be able to catch up.

allasorte
06-12-2015, 04:21 PM
I think you're good without marking spoilers. I'll ask one of the mods to put *Spoilers!* in the thread title.

I agree about your comment about not liking it if it ends up being like AHS in terms of each season being something different. However, I like that (even though S1 had the vampires storyline, and now we've got the witches) it's still focused on Vanessa and her battle with possession, which is continued from the first season.

And I was very skeptical about the witches going into this season, but Helen McCrory is killing it.
I would just like a bit of continuation and not the next man up so to speak with the vamps still present and serving their master. The witches are great, I wish they had....minions. I loved the cut wife. I loved that episode a lot. She did a hell of a job. I honestly enjoy ever character and what they bring. The protagonists are even to an extent minor antagonists with their problems and deceit. Where their hidden problems can pose a problem to the group. Such as what we saw at the end of the last episode.
I'm still waiting to see Dorian's pic. He is perfect and is dead on with the looks and the loneliness for who he is. Not a fan of his....."girlfriend." But she has done a great job too. When I saw her the first time, I knew something was off, so I didn't think she was cute lmao.

Ricky
06-12-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm hoping 13, but I don't truly know.

This season's 10 episodes.

Thanks, I'm on it. I get "showtime" in my satellite package so I should be able to catch up.

Yes! Definitely post your impressions once you've started.

allasorte
06-12-2015, 04:35 PM
It takes a lot to really get me excited for a TV show. Most the shows I watch are just running on fumes and need to end. I stick with them as "I started it, so I have to finish it approach." Many are like this for me now. Today, there aren't many horror type TV shows. It is with great relief that Penny Dreadful gets high praises from me. The genre isn't for everyone, so it is nice to see something like this pop up with high praise from viewers and critics. Though you can't believe what others say as it is simply an opinion, but with high praise comes a continuation of the series. Not always "Firefly" but it helps when people like the show.
This is a pretty great horror summer. Not to change the thread but Penny Dreadful, The Strain, Hannibal, and to an extent True Detective should help the genre get recognized once again. With nothing on in the summer for fall shows ending, these 4 won't take up too much time and are in their own pretty damn good if not great shows. Time will tell how they progress and are talked about, but with the writing so far with these 4 shows, I think people will be talking about them for awhile. Though The Strain isn't amazing, the protagonists are very likable. Now, go eat your vit-a-mins lol. I forgot people spoke and said it that way.

allasorte
06-12-2015, 04:36 PM
10?! episodes. I hate that GOT does that too. Well, better then 8.

allasorte
06-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Christ. Only Rick, myself, and Merlin talking about Penny Dreadful.
The last two episodes I enjoyed very much. I liked seeing what Ms. Ives and Mr. Chandler would do alone together. I think Vanessa is in trouble with fighting fire with fire. We will see.

As for the last episode, we finally know the story of what is going on. I loved the puzzle and what the story tells. A bit of a difference from past stories about Lucifer, which I am fine with. Lilly is? That was a 180 with what she did and I'm not sure if she is playing John Claire or simply being honest. But she is not whom we thought she was that is clear. Never thought I'd see Dorian do what he did, and I'm ecstatic to finally see his painting. I knew the real story behind him, so I'm guessing that is a part of it, but it is also holding the beast back?
The one thing that surprises me is that how much the "team" hides from each other. It is as if everyone is shamed to tell the truth and to ask for help form the others. Chandler tells the man servant his dark secret, yet tells no one else and the man servant tells no one either. But he does know now whom can help protect Vanessa, but won't tell the others. Why? I'm trying to be vague if other people who don't watch the show read this, but if people have see the show, they know what I'm talking about. Only 2 more episodes left, which sucks!

tippy4
08-28-2015, 09:32 PM
I liked that Ethan Chandler's real name was Lawrence Talbot.....nice homage to the The Wolf Man.

tippy4
06-20-2016, 08:42 PM
So did the series just end?

The big THE END at the end of the season finale makes me think so.

ICry4Oy
06-21-2016, 08:22 AM
I'm afraid so.

http://tvline.com/2016/06/20/penny-dreadful-cancelled-season-4-john-logan-interview/