PDA

View Full Version : Wayward Pines the series *spoilers*

Heather19
05-29-2015, 08:37 AM
Finally a place for us to discuss everything concerning the tv series Wayward Pines. Who's watching and what do you think so far?

Girlystevedave
05-29-2015, 08:44 AM
I still need to watch the most recent episode. :)
Also, from what I saw of the previews, I really hope that they don't change how Theresa and Ben got to Wayward Pines. From the preview, it looks like they're driving there to find Ethan. :orely:

I'm hoping they don't change the whole story line to basically be about Wayward Pines just being a messed up town , leaving out the whole part about the suspension and it being the future.

Ricky
05-29-2015, 10:51 AM
I'm hoping they don't change the whole story line to basically be about Wayward Pines just being a messed up town , leaving out the whole part about the suspension and it being the future.

That's exactly what I was (and am) worried about, too. Then again, there's something at the end of episode three (that I won't mention since you haven't seen it) that I thought for sure they would leave out, that they ended up including. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Heather19
05-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Not happy with the changes to the story in this past ep. I know they're gonna have to change some things to condense it down, but there's a few critical things that have been changed that I don't like.

Girlystevedave
05-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Okay, I just watched the recent episode.

That's exactly what I was (and am) worried about, too. Then again, there's something at the end of episode three (that I won't mention since you haven't seen it) that I thought for sure they would leave out, that they ended up including. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The screams outside of the wall? Was that what you were mentioning? Or something else?

Not happy with the changes to the story in this past ep. I know they're gonna have to change some things to condense it down, but there's a few critical things that have been changed that I don't like.

They are kinda butchering the crap out of the books, aren't they? :lol:

I had a hard time understanding why, after finally "finding" Ethan, Theresa and Ben seemed so calm and content to just hang around the house eating sandwiches while Ethan took off. I mean, don't things seem a bit "off" to them? They seemed so aloof about it all. (When Ethan came into the house, they were both looking in the refrigerator, and I was thinking: "What the hell are they doing surveying the groceries?)
And, like you said, I know some things have to be changed to condense things, but...
Hell, I'm still having a hard time with Ben being a teenager. :lol:

I hate to complain too much because there are still things I do like about the show. :)

Ricky
05-29-2015, 06:27 PM
The screams outside of the wall? Was that what you were mentioning? Or something else?

The abby! Did you see it?! :panic:

I had a hard time understanding why, after finally "finding" Ethan, Theresa and Ben seemed so calm and content to just hang around the house eating sandwiches while Ethan took off. I mean, don't things seem a bit "off" to them?

Amanda! I said the exact same thing (I think in the WP book thread)! :rofl:

Still Servant
05-29-2015, 07:35 PM
First let me say that I've never read the books. Hell, I didn't even know about the books until Heather mentioned it the other day. Also, I haven't watched episode 3 yet.

What I've seen so far is pretty good. I like the vibe and atmosphere of the show. It kind of has a Twin Peaks/Lost/Twilight Zone/Under the Dome feel to it. I'm really interested to see where it goes especially since I think where it's going is actually an idea I had for a movie, so we shall see.

One thing I discovered is that I'm not a huge Matt Dillon fan. The again, I've always had a thing for Juliette Lewis, which my mom and my sister can never quite understand. Unfortunately, they Game of Thronesed her

I think it's a perfect summer show and I'm looking forward to an actual resolution at the end of the season.

Shannon
05-29-2015, 08:25 PM
I was so happy to see a Wayward Pines TV show thread. I'm loving the show and wanted to talk about it, but didn't dare go into the Wayward Pines trilogy book thread for fear of book (and eventual tv show) spoilers.

But then I come here and get book (and eventual tv show) spoilers anyway. So, fuck you guys.

Girlystevedave
05-30-2015, 05:05 AM

The abby! Did you see it?! :panic:

I had a hard time understanding why, after finally "finding" Ethan, Theresa and Ben seemed so calm and content to just hang around the house eating sandwiches while Ethan took off. I mean, don't things seem a bit "off" to them?

Amanda! I said the exact same thing (I think in the WP book thread)! :rofl:

Oh, that's right! When it took Pope's body? It happened so fast that I didn't really pay much attention to the actual abby. I think I'll rewatch that scene today and try to get a better look.
Their screams outside the wall were pretty creepy.

And :rofl: at the sandwiches thing.

Ricky
05-31-2015, 12:18 PM
But then I come here and get book (and eventual tv show) spoilers anyway. So, fuck you guys.

You enter a thread that has a spoiler warning, and you're surprised we're comparing the show to the source material without an additional spoiler warning?

Oh, that's right! When it took Pope's body? It happened so fast that I didn't really pay much attention to the actual abby. I think I'll rewatch that scene today and try to get a better look.

Yeah, it was really quick. They could always change it from the book and have it be something else, but I'd be surprised at this point.

Still Servant
05-31-2015, 04:37 PM

You enter a thread that has a spoiler warning, and you're surprised we're comparing the show to the source material without an additional spoiler warning?

Yeah, it was really quick. They could always change it from the book and have it be something else, but I'd be surprised at this point.

Yeah, but here's the thing, is the spoiler warning for the show or the books?

In the Game of Thrones threads, we don't just talk spoilers about the books. When we do, we tag them. From what I understand, like The Walking Dead thread, spoilers about current episodes are fair game.

I wouldn't walk into the Game of Thrones thread and post the following sentence without a spoiler tag. It would ruin the show for people who haven't read the books.

Jon Snow dies at the end of book 5

Heather19
06-01-2015, 04:36 AM
I agree that we should spoiler tag anything pertaining to the book, I don't want it ruined for those that haven't read it yet (hint, hint Mike, what are you waiting for? ;) ) But I put spoilers in the title so we can openly talk about the show. So if you're up to date on the show I don't think anything has been spoiled for you.

I had a hard time understanding why, after finally "finding" Ethan, Theresa and Ben seemed so calm and content to just hang around the house eating sandwiches while Ethan took off. I mean, don't things seem a bit "off" to them? They seemed so aloof about it all. (When Ethan came into the house, they were both looking in the refrigerator, and I was thinking: "What the hell are they doing surveying the groceries?)
And, like you said, I know some things have to be changed to condense things, but...
Hell, I'm still having a hard time with Ben being a teenager. :lol:

I hate to complain too much because there are still things I do like about the show. :)

I was thinking the same thing. It didn't make sense that they end up in the town and Ethan has a house? And they're not surprised by this? And then he takes off for a bit right after they find him? :lol:

Still Servant
06-01-2015, 07:58 PM
I agree that we should spoiler tag anything pertaining to the book, I don't want it ruined for those that haven't read it yet (hint, hint Mike, what are you waiting for?

What am I waiting for? I'm waiting to start/finish all the other stuff I have to read first. :lol:

Like the 3 most recent King books.

Heather19
06-02-2015, 02:16 AM
These are such quick reads though, you'll be done before you know it :)

Ricky
06-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Really loved last night's episode. The way they kept the suspense and intrigue all throughout was masterful. I also really appreciated that the "reveals" weren't changed from the book.

Bonus points for not shying away from showing the abbies. Honestly, having actors play them never occurred to me. If they were going to be included at all, I just assumed they'd be all CGI. (Though, so far, they're not as frightening looking as I pictured in the books.)

Heather19
06-12-2015, 08:13 AM
I felt the exact opposite :lol:

I really preferred the reveal in the book. How Ethan escapes and encounters these creatures (you don't know what they are) where as in last nights ep they spell it out before he really encounters them. And then how he gets into the mountain and you're still wondering what's going on and what this place is, where as last night they pretty much tell you everything right away as well.

And the abbies are definitely far scarier in the book. I guess it's not bad to use actors, probably better than CGI, but they didn't look all that scary or as menacing as I had envisioned in my head.

Merlin1958
06-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Only caught two episodes, but I'm hooked!!!

Merlin1958
06-14-2015, 04:09 PM
So I finished the first book this morning. Great read. It also struck me that:

Didn't the "4400" have basically the same premise, just a slightly different twist? A read as advertised by those here. Quick and satisfying.

divemaster
06-18-2015, 09:04 AM
I've been watching the series based on a positive review in the Washington Post. This is very rare for me, as I've only watched a handful of TV series in real time since I was a kid. (99% of the TV I watch is sports). What encouraged me to watch was that the review indicated it was a 12(?) - episode series with a scripted story arc and a defined ending. I learned my lesson from LOST that I don't want to get caught up in a "make-it-up-as-you-go" show where the ending is determined by how many seasons your advertisers can pay for, and thus you get all sorts of ridiculous filler.

I was not aware there were books.

I have enjoyed watching this show very much! I was wondering what the "mystery" was. Was it aliens? Government psychological testing? They were all dead and in Purgatory? Wormholes? Ethan is nuts? The main thing that I couldn't figure out is how the one lady says she's been there 12 years when she and Ethan were working together just 5 months previous. Some sort of reveal came in last weeks episode:

that they were actually in year 4000-something and the outside world was a ruined, devolved mess and Wayward Pines was the last remaining oasis of humanity.

But I'm not sure how much faith to put in that b/c there are still more than a couple of episodes left, and the schoolteacher seems so shady I don't trust her for a minute.

Having said all that, the show does occasionally fall into the same trap LOST fell into, where if characters would just talk to each other, a lot of problems could be avoided. Like when Ethan's wife and son showed up. Basically all he told them was "stay in the house and don't leave!" Of course, like idiots, they leave the house and all sorts of bad things happen. Instead of Ethan telling them,"I told you so!" and spelling out all the shit he had been through, he barely hints at the weirdness. No wonder his wife and son think he's merely hooked up with his floozy. He didn't tell them anything different!

I am looking forward to the remaining episodes. I won't be able to watch tonight's episdoe tonight because the college baseball game is on. (That's a true indication of my TV watching priorities!)

Heather19
06-18-2015, 09:45 AM
I highly recommend checking out the books. If you enjoy the show I'm sure you'll love the books even more. And as for your point, I feel that's where the show has fallen slightly, in the books people talk even less to one another and it's all very controlled. There is a reason which they've kinda given beginning back in the first episode.

Ricky
06-18-2015, 04:59 PM
I won't be able to watch tonight's episdoe tonight because the college baseball game is on.

There's no new episode until next Thursday. Don't know why they're skipping a week.

Merlin1958
06-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Just received book two. Away I go!!!

craigobau
07-24-2015, 02:52 AM
Any thoughts on the series finale? Overall, I enjoyed the series particularly that the producers did the big reveal about the abbies mid-season.

Looks like this was initially intended to be a one-shot series, but there is talk of a second season now, but I'm not sure we'd need a re-tread of the over-throw of authority that was a main storyline in this series.

One part of the storyline I didn't understand was when in a early episode, Pilcher met with Ethan's boss from the FBI to tell him that Ethan was missing his family. How could this conversation happen in the current day storyline if Ethan's release from cryo was 2000 years in the future?

divemaster
07-24-2015, 03:43 AM
I enjoyed the series. I, too, question a few of the early scenes set in Seattle. They don't match up with what we come to learn with regard to the actual year and state of worldwide humanity. I also didn't like the sudden reversals in a couple of the characters. The main example being Nurse Pam. For 10 episodes, she's all, "you must reckon them!" and being, basically, the main baddie in town trying to keep Ethan in the dark. The all of a sudden she's "Ethan, you must stop the reckonings!" "Everyone has a right to know!" WTF?

But other than that, it was dramatic, mysterious, and interesting. Good watch. I ought to pick up the books.

Ricky
07-24-2015, 07:11 AM
I enjoyed the series overall. Some of the changes I liked better than the books, some I didn't. I loved how evil/despicable Pam was in the books, but I also think it was really interesting how they portrayed her in the series.

As for the finale, I was enjoying it and prepared for it to end with Kate and Pam running the town in a much better, kinder way than Pilcher did. I would've been fine to end it there. Then we get a 3-year time jump where the First Generation seemingly has taken over the town? When did this happen? Where's Theresa, Pam, and Kate? I guess we're to assume that they were overthrown, but it's such a big plot point that it feels almost cheap to tack it on and not explain further. It's almost like they wanted to have it both ways: a happy ending where the town gets a second chance, and a pessimistic, dystopian, Children of the Corn-like ending.

craigobau
07-24-2015, 07:31 AM
I liked the way the scene of Ben waking up and walking into town was a mirror shoot of the same thing happening to Ethan way back in Episode 1 (?) but agree it was a big plot jump and perhaps only done to set up the possibility of a second series?

Matt Dillon did a great job in the lead role and I'm not sure a second series would be as strong without his character, unless he didn't really die in the blast...........!

Ricky
07-24-2015, 08:32 AM
I liked the way the scene of Ben waking up and walking into town was a mirror shoot of the same thing happening to Ethan way back in Episode 1 (?)

I liked that too.

Bev Vincent
07-24-2015, 08:52 AM
A pretty disappointing ending, alas.

Still Servant
07-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Looks like this was initially intended to be a one-shot series, but there is talk of a second season now, but I'm not sure we'd need a re-tread of the over-throw of authority that was a main storyline in this series.

I really enjoyed the show. It was a perfect Summer show. That being said, I really don't want a second season. This is especially the case after seeing what Under the Dome has turned in to after its first season. The current season is an absolute train wreck.

Heather19
07-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Overall I wasn't a fan of the series. It could be because I loved the books, that once it veered away I just got more and more annoyed :lol:

I didn't like the whole Children of the Corn vibe it had going for the last few eps. And the ending with Ben was way too much of a jump from the rest of the show. I also didn't care for how they changed Pams character from ruthless to being the one to help save them.

As for the early Seattle scenes with Hassler, that definitely fits in more with the books, but then they just kinda dropped his character. It seemed they completely forgot him and then just tacked him on quick at the end. So I can see why those scenes we're confusing if you haven't read the books.

webstar1000
12-10-2015, 08:25 AM
They are actually renewing this??? I thought it was stand alone.. it would have been better left. Studios just need to milk everything.... wow.

Ricky
12-10-2015, 08:49 AM
I had to Google it to see for myself. Why couldn't they just leave it alone?

webstar1000
12-10-2015, 08:58 AM
I had to Google it to see for myself. Why couldn't they just leave it alone?

100%

Heather19
12-10-2015, 11:09 AM
:o

Still Servant
12-10-2015, 05:22 PM
They are actually renewing this??? I thought it was stand alone.. it would have been better left. Studios just need to milk everything.... wow.

This is what happened to Under the Dome and that turned into one of the biggest disasters on TV.

Br!an
02-25-2016, 01:44 PM
I loved the books. Thanks to Heather and others for recommending them.

I avoided this thread because I wanted to read the books first. I then forgot all about the TV show. :doh:

I subscribed to HULU to watch the 11-22-63 series and noticed they have Wayward Pines on there. I watched the first episode last night. So far so good.

Shannon
02-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Funny. I JUST (five minutes ago) finished the 2009 miniseries The Prisoner. In the beginning episodes, before The Prisoner got REALLY stupid and nonsensical, I felt a very strong Wayward Pines atmosphere.

Heather19
02-25-2016, 02:57 PM
I loved the books. Thanks to Heather and others for recommending them.

I avoided this thread because I wanted to read the books first. I then forgot all about the TV show. :doh:

I subscribed to HULU to watch the 11-22-63 series and noticed they have Wayward Pines on there. I watched the first episode last night. So far so good.

So glad you enjoyed them! So far everyone I've recommended it to has loved it. And good luck with the miniseries. I'll just warn you right now that it's pretty different from the books. I wasn't a fan, but that's because I hate when they change things,. Maybe if you go in with an open mind you'll enjoy it more than me. I know there's others here that read the books and still enjoyed it.

Br!an
02-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Happy birthday Shannon!

I'm going to read this thread as I go through the series. As long as it doesn't get Under The Dome stupid I'll stick with it.

I do like the movie/show to be like the book. It almost never is though.

Ricky
02-25-2016, 05:02 PM
Yeah, just don't let Heather recommend Run. :lol:

Heather19
02-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Ricky doesn't know what he's talking about. Run was excellent :D

Ricky
02-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Lies! All lies!

:lol:

Br!an
02-26-2016, 05:13 AM
I already bought Run. Heather did retroactively recommend it though. I haven't read it yet.

Bev Vincent
02-26-2016, 05:32 AM
I haven't read the books but I was intrigued by the series. Stuck with it to the end, despite some unpleasant turns. Hated the conclusion.

Heather19
02-26-2016, 06:15 AM
I hated the conclusion as well. I highly recommend the books, I'm sure you'll be hooked if you pick them up.

And Brian, I do hope you enjoy Run. Let me know what you think of it once you get to it.

webstar1000
02-26-2016, 07:47 AM
You win. This is next for me after the Simmons I am reading:)

Heather19
02-26-2016, 09:11 AM
You win. This is next for me after the Simmons I am reading:)

:thumbsup:

I just bought a few more Simmons books, hope to start one soon. Just need to finish the book I'm currently reading.

Ricky
02-26-2016, 03:09 PM
I already bought Run. Heather did retroactively recommend it though. I haven't read it yet.

"Run" away!

In her defense, I read the WP series on her recommendation, so 3 out of 4 isn't bad. ;)

Shannon
03-05-2016, 12:09 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74578

Shannon
03-05-2016, 12:09 AM
EXTREMELY excited about Djimon Hounsou joining the cast for season two. This guy brings it with everything he's involved in.

Ricky
03-05-2016, 08:36 AM
Happy they're picking up after the events of last season and that a lot of the main cast will be back. I was afraid they were going to do away with all the old characters and just have the focus be on the kids.

Heather19
03-12-2016, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm still bitter about how they destroyed the source material and went in their own direction. I worry it's going to be like Under the Dome.

Br!an
05-25-2016, 03:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RCIRgi0pLA

Ricky
05-29-2016, 03:27 PM
What'd everyone think of the Season 2 premiere? I'm hoping they don't kill off all the characters from last season (i.e. Kate).

webstar1000
05-30-2016, 03:04 AM
I liked it... BUT the books are JUST SO MUCH BETTER. I think this show could be much better but will keep watching:)

Br!an
05-30-2016, 03:58 AM
I enjoyed it. It's easier for me to watch since it's a new story-line. I kept comparing the first season to the books. Now I don't have that issue.

webstar1000
05-30-2016, 04:37 AM
I enjoyed it. It's easier for me to watch since it's a new story-line. I kept comparing the first season to the books. Now I don't have that issue.
Well said Brian....

Heather19
05-30-2016, 08:06 AM
I hated it. I'll keep watching for a few more episodes, but of it doesn't get better then I'll probably quit. I was hoping I would enjoy this season more since it's not based on the books but honestly just not really a fan of the new storyline.

Ricky
05-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I think it'll take another couple episodes to see where they're going to go this season.

Ricky
06-24-2016, 06:02 AM
I actually really enjoyed this week's episode. I know Margaret (the female abby) was in the books, but I can't quite remember what her purpose was. Does anyone remember?