PDA

View Full Version : Centipede Press: Mad About Monsters

frik
05-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Most of us are familiar with Knowing Darkness , Centipede's tribute to the craft of many of the artists found within the books of Stephen King.

And now - there's this awesome announcement from Centipede's latest newsletter. As I've been collecting these so-called monster magazines for decades, this will be another must-have:

Centipede is currently developing a large coffee-table book tentatively entitled Mad About Monsters: A Mid-Century State of Mind. This book will focus on the rise of monster magazines and the culture surrounding them, focusing mostly on the 1950s through the 1980s. It will discuss the rise of monster magazines and the post-World War II conditions that encouraged an interest in monster culture.
Special emphasis will be placed on Forrest J Ackerman and FM. With the formation of Famous Monsters, there will be emphasis on the stories about how the first issue sold, the kinds of people it attracted, and the national mood that allowed young people to be swept up into this subculture. The book will also go into the numerous spinoffs and ripoff magazines, created by Warren and other companies, and follow this into the 1960s and 70s with the creation of Starlog, Castle of Frankenstein, Fangoria, and Cinefantastique, the most successful of the imitations, as well as Little Shoppe of Horrors, Midnight Marquee, Photon, and other well-known and/or long-running publications.
Aside from monster magazines, the book will also discuss the rise of 8mm movies, demonstrating how older and more obscure films were kept in circulation before the VHS and home video era. Also discussed will the entire merchandising part of this phenomenon, such as monster masks, trading cards, posters, model kits, buttons, fan clubs, and conventions. In addition, the book will devote time to the horror movie hosts on local programs such as Creature Features, and how the ease with which local stations could show these old films continued to create an interest in monster magazines and horror films — the whole sprawling monster kid universe.
The proposed Monster Magazines will be of large size, approximately 11 × 16 inches with approximately 500 pages, all printed on heavy, coated stock, using four color process inks. The book will be sewn, reinforced, and bound in cloth with a dustjacket and slipcase for protection. A signed edition would be available. The imagery of the book will be gorgeous and jaw-droppingly comprehensive, the ultimate archeological dig into the heart and should of mid-century monster culture. Pricing will be on par with our Artists Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and Artists Inspired by Stephen King books, roughly $250.
The possibilities of celebrity contributions and testimonials is virtually unlimited. Long-time fans of Famous Monsters who have openly acknowledged their debt to the magazine include Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Stephen King, Gene Simmons, Joe Dante, John Landis, Peter Jackson, Rob Bottin, Rick Baker, and dozens of others. In addition, there are numerous industry professionals and fan writers who could be called on to contribute their own stories as sidebars throughout the text. These memoirs would help make this book even more authoritative.
Right now we are at the analysis state of this project, and other details cannot be revealed. However, your feedback, indicating any possible interest and suggestions, are much appreciated. Thank you for your time in reading this.

Go, Jerad! :clap:

sk

CurtSeattle
05-10-2015, 10:48 AM
"Monster" memories from that time (my early childhood) that haunt me....

The Incredible Melting Man
Food of the Gods
The Fog
The Thing

I would wait for Fangoria to come out and I would sit in 7-11 and read through it if I didn't have the money at the time to buy it. Most of the time that's how it played out. haha! :)

Sounds interesting for sure and I have both of the other "coffee table" books mentioned already!

Curt