PDA

View Full Version : James Patterson

Roland of Gilead 33
05-04-2015, 06:44 PM
are there any James Patterson fans on here? i've liked his work since high school actually. and it's really sad that these days i'd say about 90% of his books are working with whatever author and i'm for it when authors work with another author. but it's sad that really all his books that come out each year in the past few years. outside his Alex Cross Series have him working with other authors.

one wonders how much he actually does write when it comes to those books? i think i read somewhere he said he does an outline or something? but still if that's true that's still not enough to have that much credit to his name. i'm not going to stop reading his books because of that though. i've so far read 3 of his books in the past month and those are 'Four Blind Mice (2002), The Big Bad Wolf' (2003) and "Now you See Her' (2011)

i just finished that one late last nite in fact. now i'm on "Private" (2010)

ratchet41
07-22-2021, 08:46 PM
well i'm back reading him after not having read any of his work for fucking ages upon ages! how i've missed reading his books and holy shit is there a lot of his books i need to read and i wish there wasn't but there is

DoctorZaius
07-23-2021, 06:37 AM
are there any James Patterson fans on here? i've liked his work since high school actually. and it's really sad that these days i'd say about 90% of his books are working with whatever author and i'm for it when authors work with another author. but it's sad that really all his books that come out each year in the past few years. outside his Alex Cross Series have him working with other authors.

one wonders how much he actually does write when it comes to those books? i think i read somewhere he said he does an outline or something? but still if that's true that's still not enough to have that much credit to his name. i'm not going to stop reading his books because of that though. i've so far read 3 of his books in the past month and those are 'Four Blind Mice (2002), The Big Bad Wolf' (2003) and "Now you See Her' (2011)

My understanding is that he went the Tom Clancy route and began to write treatments or outlines of the books for other authors to then write. I might be wrong.

Joe315
07-23-2021, 10:50 AM

My understanding is that he went the Tom Clancy route and began to write treatments or outlines of the books for other authors to then write. I might be wrong.

Except for his Cross books I think this is correct

ratchet41
07-23-2021, 07:27 PM
sadly he is correct, i was watching a video i think it was late last night or Early this morning from i want to say (2016) and he was saying cause he was promoting one of his books i think it was one of Cross Books #20 i think? and he says he woks 7 days a week. so if that is true my question is if he doesn't write the actual books other than the Cross books and that's normally one novel a year for that series. how much work does he truly put in any of the books he does put out each month?

we all know what King and Owen said on how they did it but you'd think writing with someone isn't something you'd want to do all the time? so maybe are wrong in saying he just writes the plot and outline cause he does work all day writing and this is just a guess of course i have no proof on this of course, than i don't think that would take all day to do that for whatever books come out the following month but maybe that's just me? writing a novel takes time as we all know but who knows maybe he does write 50% of and the other author writes 50% of it as well course i have no proof on that either

DoctorZaius
07-24-2021, 07:30 AM
Here are a couple of fun and informative readings on the subject.

https://blog.bookstellyouwhy.com/james-patterson-author-or-brand-manager

https://medium.com/from-the-library/the-james-patterson-book-farm-must-be-stopped-262d2254c278

ratchet41
07-25-2021, 10:34 PM
thank you i read those they are pretty interesting reads, ya know he does sometimes does put out actual books he writes, the article said that it's impossible for any author to write that many books a year well i disagree with that statement, there is an author and you can look this up who isn't an American who has written over if this is true over 1,000 books! my guess that person took a class on and can type really fast.

St. Troy
07-26-2021, 07:13 AM
My understanding is that he went the Tom Clancy route and began to write treatments or outlines of the books for other authors to then write.

Did Clancy do this? I don't recall seeing other author names on his books, but then, I'm not a huge Clancy reader, have only read a few of his things.

Joe315
07-26-2021, 03:02 PM
My understanding is that he went the Tom Clancy route and began to write treatments or outlines of the books for other authors to then write.

Did Clancy do this? I don't recall seeing other author names on his books, but then, I'm not a huge Clancy reader, have only read a few of his things.

Yes, a couple years before he died

ratchet41
07-26-2021, 05:43 PM
though i do have a couple of Clancy novels i was really shocked that Clancy even went that route. with Patterson yeah i was shocked a bit too but he had a few books coming out per year at some point and so it gradually grew so it wasn't a huge shock but with Clancy or even Michael Crichton those ones surprised me. with Patterson he his this certain style where you can see he has some hand it cause the few i have read of his that he has co-authored with they still feel like books he wrote.

with the Crichton i dunno his work well enough or hell even Clancy to say if they still feel like one of their novels & i've read some of Crichton' s work he was good Disclosure (1994) is one of my favorite books that one back when it 1st came out someone says to me Don you aren't going to like it cause it's just not the type of book you are into so i took that as a Challenge since i had read Jurassic Park already and when i saw what it was about Disclosure i mean not Jurassic Park.

it got me interested right off the bat cause it was different than the normal book and i ended up fucking loving it and the film later that year as well when i went and saw it with my folks actually. i've since read it a few times and i bought the book on paperback a couple years back i just haven't read it in years. but i fully plan to at some point though

Joe315
07-26-2021, 07:43 PM
though i do have a couple of Clancy novels i was really shocked that Clancy even went that route. with Patterson yeah i was shocked a bit too but he had a few books coming out per year at some point and so it gradually grew so it wasn't a huge shock but with Clancy or even Michael Crichton those ones surprised me. with Patterson he his this certain style where you can see he has some hand it cause the few i have read of his that he has co-authored with they still feel like books he wrote.

with the Crichton i dunno his work well enough or hell even Clancy to say if they still feel like one of their novels & i've read some of Crichton' s work he was good Disclosure (1994) is one of my favorite books that one back when it 1st came out someone says to me Don you aren't going to like it cause it's just not the type of book you are into so i took that as a Challenge since i had read Jurassic Park already and when i saw what it was about Disclosure i mean not Jurassic Park.

it got me interested right off the bat cause it was different than the normal book and i ended up fucking loving it and the film later that year as well when i went and saw it with my folks actually. i've since read it a few times and i bought the book on paperback a couple years back i just haven't read it in years. but i fully plan to at some point though

Crichton only had one co-author before his death. The other two (Preston and Wilson) finished incomplete novels

ratchet41
07-26-2021, 09:02 PM
oh okay i never looked into it to be honest

ratchet41
04-30-2022, 08:31 PM
well i finished up London Bridges (2004) #10 of the Alex Cross series a series that he actually still does still write himself i think there's like #30 of those now? from what i've read online a lot of people seem to think the later ones to use my words suck ass. where i got that saying i have no idea it just came to me one day i suppose lol. looking at my post from (2015) i noticed it took me fucking 7 years to read the next Alex Cross book? cause The Big Bad Wolf (2003) is the last one i had read i didn't realize it was back in (2015) cause i think before that in fact i think that same year well according to my post reading Four Blind Mice was that long ago? holy fuck it does not feel that long ago i didn't realize it took me that long to read London Bridges. (2004) well as i said elsewhere it wasn't that great of a book i'd say 3/5. next one i need to read book #11 Mary, Mary (2005) but i'm reading another book currently this one didn't take me 18 years to read like it took me to read London Bridges (2004) sorry putting the year by it is just a habit of mine that's all