PDA

View Full Version : What book would be best choice for 2015 Grand Prize winner?

Randall Flagg
04-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Non-binding poll*.
What book would be best choice for this years Grand Prize winner?
The book will be inscribed (winner submits specific inscription request, but final wording rests with King) by Mr. King to the winner.
Due to the possibility of loss or damage we can't accept a book/item submitted by the winner.

* Public poll

Aronstg
04-16-2015, 01:53 PM
I know personally I'd like to see a nice 1st/1st copy of IT. I believe those can be found in the $50 range and I am guessing a lot of collectors would love to have one of those. Just trying to think cost effective versus wow factor. I think that is his most popular book that can still be had at a cheap price.

I think a lot of people will say Mr Mercedes 1st/1st

Also if I remember correctly.. did the winner have a choice between a few books? I like that idea. Maybe giving a choice between 3-4 affordable or donated books?

fernandito
04-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Finders Keepers, because of the newness and shininess of it all.

Randall Flagg
04-16-2015, 01:56 PM
I know personally I'd like to see a nice 1st/1st copy of IT. I believe those can be found in the $50 range and I am guessing a lot of collectors would love to have one of those. Just trying to think cost effective versus wow factor. I think that is his most popular book that can still be had at a cheap price.

I think a lot of people will say Mr Mercedes 1st/1st
Good thought, but in the past we have tried to keep the request to a recent readily available book.
I suppose a Gift (CD or PS) of Carrie, or a Thinner could be considered.

Merlin1958
04-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Doesn't really matter. I'm finally winning this year!!!

Ben Staad
04-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Sticking to the poll I voted for Finders Keepers however I would prefer something different. Either way a signed and personalized book from SK is aweseome!

P.S. I might as well get this over with...Congrats to the Winner!

tippy4
04-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Revival?!

Madness.

goheat
04-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Sticking to the poll I voted for Finders Keepers however I would prefer something different. Either way a signed and personalized book from SK is aweseome!

P.S. I might as well get this over with...Congrats to the Winner!

LOL!

killjoy72
04-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Of those choices, I'd say Finders Keepers. A 2015 book for the 2015 contest.

webstar1000
04-16-2015, 03:50 PM
i gotta say... I lugged IT with me to Florida... And I bought it for $50 bucks like Aron said. It's mint and if he would have signed that... I would treasure it. It's one of my all time favourite books ever. They are easy to come ACcross and I would love to see it happen:)

jhanic
04-16-2015, 03:51 PM
I voted Mr. Mercedes, simply because it's one of the scarcer current books with King's signature. Since we don't yet know if King will be doing any signings for Finders Keepers, it may be more common.

John

zelig
04-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Revival?!

Madness.

Yeah, I didn't think Revival would get any votes... I was going back and forth between Mr. Mercedes and and Finders Keepers, but ended up voting for FK since it's the new book.

bdwyer19
04-16-2015, 04:11 PM
I voted favor Finders Keepers, but would also be happy with Mr Mercedes. Most everyone here already has a signed Revival, so is be shocked to see that get a lot of love in the poll.

Roseannebarr
04-16-2015, 09:12 PM
I voted favor Finders Keepers, but would also be happy with Mr Mercedes. Most everyone here already has a signed Revival, so is be shocked to see that get a lot of love in the poll.

CARRIE gift edition!

webstar1000
04-17-2015, 03:02 AM

CARRIE gift edition!

Not a bad idea... even the Aritst would be nice!

herbertwest
04-17-2015, 05:48 AM
2015, so technically FINDERS KEEPERS.

webstar1000
04-17-2015, 06:38 AM
RF, does it have to be a book that King has himself? How is the book determined? If Florida was any indication.. he has lots of older books in 1st edition around...

Randall Flagg
04-17-2015, 08:32 AM
RF, does it have to be a book that King has himself? How is the book determined? If Florida was any indication.. he has lots of older books in 1st edition around...
It has always been a current title. King never dictated what the item was, we just wanted it to be something new. There aren't a lot of "rules", but the thought is to have the widest appeal to receive the most donor interest.

IMO, a Finders Keepers inscribed and dated in June, 2015 will be a rare item. Of course a Carrie gift or artist edition would be fantastic too (inserts Bob's comment "Especially if remarqued by Glenn Chadbourne").

webstar1000
04-17-2015, 09:18 AM
It has always been a current title. King never dictated what the item was, we just wanted it to be something new. There aren't a lot of "rules", but the thought is to have the widest appeal to receive the most donor interest.

IMO, a Finders Keepers inscribed and dated in June, 2015 will be a rare item. Of course a Carrie gift or artist edition would be fantastic too (inserts Bob's comment "Especially if remarqued by Glenn Chadbourne").

Yeah I would rather the Carrie Artist i think... but hey Im in for anything! lol

Theli
04-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Of the three poll options I went with Mr. Mercedes. I think it or Revival would be my preferred. It's just cause Finders Keepers is the second in a series. I'd rather have the first or a stand alone signed. With that said I'd definitely be more interested in a signed first edition of IT or one of CD's recent gift editions, Carrie or Faithful (though technically that's Books to Benefit) would be a cool too.

Randall Flagg
04-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Usually we (the Fundraiser) have a very cool very recent item donated specifically for the Grand Prize winner. This year is a bit different. If the cost of the grand prize comes directly out of the fundraiser, we have to choose something economically feasible.
If we buy a $250 item (Traycased Carrie Artist Edition), then it takes directly from the fund. We depend on something being donated, or something available (but highly desirable) at a low cost. All of the three poll options (prior to King inscribing) are/will be available for less than $30.

Theli
04-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Makes sense.

Randall Flagg
05-22-2015, 01:08 PM
The decision has been made.
This year's Grand Prize will be a Stephen King personally inscribe US 1st Trade edition of "Finders Keepers".

zelig
05-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Good decision.

tippy4
05-22-2015, 02:51 PM
This year's Grand Prize will be a Stephen King personally inscribe US 1st Trade edition of "Finders Keepers".

Good decision.

Agreed....most likely, nobody here has that in their collection.

Everybody in Calvin's Corner has a signed Revival, and at least ten of us have a signed Mr. Mercedes.

Randall Flagg
05-22-2015, 03:03 PM

Good decision.

Agreed....most likely, nobody here has that in their collection.

Everybody in Calvin's Corner has a signed Revival, and at least ten of us have a signed Mr. Mercedes.

And few if any (at this time) have an inscribed FK

TCCBodhi
05-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Will the winner have time to feverishly read the book and write an inscription when they win!?:biggrin:

zelig
05-22-2015, 04:03 PM

We need to increase that to 11. I don't have a signed Mr. Mercedes...poor me! :cry:

becca69
05-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Good choice.

Merlin1958
05-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Will the winner have time to feverishly read the book and write an inscription when they win!?:biggrin:

I would suggest you try not to extend the request time any more than you absolutely have to. Mr. King has been notoriously slow in delivering these things in the past, but he always delivers in the end. Your call.

TCCBodhi
05-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Though, if I win, I guess, I'd be changing my normal reading habits to get it done to get a good inscription. I'm looking forward to the book though, I enjoyed Mr. Mercedes a lot, and am excited to hear from Hodges again.

Randall Flagg
05-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Still double checking the numbers, but as of now we have less than 100 unique people in the drawing. There are ~500 total entries.

Jimimck
05-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Doesn't really matter. I'm finally winning this year!!!

So, Faithfull?

:biggrin:

I see the decision has already been made, and no one is going to argue with Finders keepers, but has anyone suggested the winnder being able to choose a book out of their own collection? Is that something that could be considered for future years? (assuming Mr King generously agrees to continue this wonderful gift...)

tippy4
05-24-2015, 08:28 PM
I see the decision has already been made, and no one is going to argue with Finders keepers, but has anyone suggested the winnder being able to choose a book out of their own collection? Is that something that could be considered for future years? (assuming Mr King generously agrees to continue this wonderful gift...)

This is the way things used to be in years past, but due to a loss of a member's book, this practice has been changed to the current procedure, thereby eliminating the liability that Jerome might incur.

herbertwest
05-25-2015, 07:25 AM

And given the main theme of FINDERS KEEPERS, it's both funny and relevant to book collectors here !

Jimimck
05-25-2015, 02:35 PM

This is the way things used to be in years past, but due to a loss of a member's book, this practice has been changed to the current procedure, thereby eliminating the liability that Jerome might incur.

Ah makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Merlin1958
05-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Huh. They complain about the Fundraiser, but when the "Grand Prize" is on the line folks sure come out of the wood work don't they? LOL

Merlin1958
05-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Too Hot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bWdWZLSTio&list=RD-bWdWZLSTio