PDA

View Full Version : Which unadapted SK novels would you like to see on the big screen?

mae
04-03-2015, 05:25 AM
Five years ago I started a similar thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10319) but as we all love polls, I decided to make it a poll now. Since the maximum number of poll entries is 15 (and you can choose as many as you wish), a few books had to be left off. I have excluded all the novels that are planned to be or currently are in production at this time.

Still Servant
04-03-2015, 06:36 AM
I voted for The Long Walk. I also would like to see a "The Man in the Black Suit" film. There's a short film on YouTube that's actually pretty good.

fernandito
04-03-2015, 08:30 AM
The Talisman and Doctor Sleep.

frik
04-03-2015, 08:32 AM
The Talisman is my choice.

sk

needfulthings
04-03-2015, 10:15 AM
U.K. PAPERBACK 1985.
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/9393/3V7EGe.jpg

Mattrick
04-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Duma Key. Creepiest book he's written (saying this without having read IT)

Still Servant
04-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Duma Key. Creepiest book he's written (saying this without having read IT)

:o

Mattrick
04-03-2015, 12:28 PM
I'd love to see a Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon adaptation too, it would just require a good enough young actress to carry the weight of it all.

Girlystevedave
04-04-2015, 07:41 AM
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
The Eyes of the Dragon
Rose Madder
The Talisman - The thought of a well-done Talisman movie makes me all tingly.

Ben Staad
04-04-2015, 08:03 AM
The Long Walk, TEOTD, and Blaze.

Merlin1958
04-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Very sad to see that, 'Black House" was not included. Big mistake IMHO

Also, and just FYI that I have heard on the net, I believe the rights have already been sold to production firms for "The Talisman" & Mr. Mercede's", and also "Duma Key" if I recall(?)

mae
04-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Black House wasn't included because The Talisman was.

Merlin1958
04-04-2015, 11:26 AM

All due respect, but that doesn't make much sense, IMO for a thread like this one. I love "Talisman", but of the two my favorite is "BH". It's much more "TDT related.

It's also a, stand alone novel. You don't "have to" read, Talisman in order to read this book. Sorry, I don't mean to be a PITA. It just comes naturally with me, I am afraid. LOL

Theli
04-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Not that it will ever happen, but I think Rage would make an interesting and insightful film adaptation in the hands of the right director.

Still Servant
04-05-2015, 06:09 AM

All due respect, but that doesn't make much sense, IMO for a thread like this one. I love "Talisman", but of the two my favorite is "BH". It's much more "TDT related.

It's also a, stand alone novel. You don't "have to" read, Talisman in order to read this book. Sorry, I don't mean to be a PITA. It just comes naturally with me, I am afraid. LOL

I swear to god you just hate polls. There must be some kind of Superhero villain origin story that happened in your past involving you and a polling system.

There has to be. It's the only thing that makes sense.

webstar1000
04-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Talisman would make an amazing movie in the hands of the right people. Be my number #1 for sure!

Mattrick
04-05-2015, 12:08 PM

I swear to god you just hate polls. There must be some kind of Superhero villain origin story that happened in your past involving you and a polling system.

"When the polling system took away his first love, Merlin vowed to forever fight the powers of democracy as Despotman!"

Girlystevedave
04-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Talisman would make an amazing movie in the hands of the right people. Be my number #1 for sure!

Agreed!

Merlin1958
04-05-2015, 10:54 PM

W/E. While we're at it, why isn't TDT listed? Last I looked this was TDT.Org and it hasn't been adapted, or did I miss something?

mae
04-05-2015, 10:58 PM
It's in development, kinda. This is just for those novels that are not known to be in the works.

Merlin1958
04-05-2015, 11:01 PM
It's in development, kinda. This is just for those novels that are not known to be in the works.

Ahhh, yes I suppose that is true. Good point.

webstar1000
04-06-2015, 03:33 AM

If there was any of King's works that would be EPIC on the big screen.. this is in. The Dark Tower would be amazing... I always liked the thought (and not sure if this is still a go or not) of the 3 movies and 2 (3?) HBO seasons of an accompanying show. You could almost do what Marvel did and create a cinematic universe... NOW that would be sweet!
)

mae
04-06-2015, 04:59 AM
You could almost do what Marvel did and create a cinematic universe... NOW that would be sweet!

See here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18858

WeDealInLead
04-06-2015, 05:07 AM
Black House could work as a stand alone if you took all the DT and Territories references out and made it as a straight forward mystery/whodunit with a supernatural twist. That'd be doing the book and DT mythos a disservice.

Ben Staad
04-06-2015, 08:05 AM
I'm surprised there is not much love for an adaption of Blaze.

mae
04-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Or Rose Madder.

Merlin1958
04-06-2015, 01:00 PM

Also, and just FYI that I have hear on the net, I believe the rights have already been sold to production firms for "The Talisman" & Mr. Mercede's", and also "Duma Key" if I recall(?)

"When the polling system took away his first love, Merlin vowed to forever fight the powers of democracy as Despotman!"

W/E. While we're at it, why isn't TDT listed? Last I looked this was TDT.Org and it hasn't been adapted, or did I miss something?

Okay, I get it. You don't want me in your little "Clique" and that's fine. For the record, if that is your criterion, "The Talisman" rights were sold and are "Kinda in development by Spielberg". At least get your facts square. You guys just don't want anyone playing in your personal "Pool". Just say it already and don't be well... "Dick's" about it. I may be wrong more than right, but I say what I feel and don't need a "Posse" to validate my comments. I'll take it on the chin when I have to and should be afforded the same when I don't. "Moderator"? More like "Head Cheerleader" in High School!!! You guys really don't play well with others, do you? What happened to "It's all about the discussion"?

fernandito
04-06-2015, 01:13 PM
*FACEPALM*

Merlin1958
04-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Also, and just FYI that I have hear on the net, I believe the rights have already been sold to production firms for "The Talisman" & Mr. Mercede's", and also "Duma Key" if I recall(?)

*FACEPALM*

Typical. You try to dismiss me as some sort of radical, but if you have an opinion, state it. I could do with what you posted by saying "Fuck you", but I didn't do that. I made a genuine case for the subject I addressed. In response, you went with your patented reply until the troops roll in. If, I mis-spoke about the make up of this poll, enlighten me. If not, deal with it. Just because you are a "Mod" does not make you "Above the fray".

T-Dogz_AK47
04-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Okay, I think it's time I threw my weight into this "discussion".

I think Bill made a valid point about Black House, and being rounded on for doing so is rather unbecoming.

I have excluded all the novels that are planned to be or currently are in production at this time.

I don't know why Bill's comments about Black House were so controversial, when the following novels included in this poll are already planned or currently in production:

The Long Walk

The film rights have been purchased by Frank Darabont, who is also keen to direct once production starts.

Rose Madder

Palomar Pictures and Grosvenor Park are currently developing this into a movie.

Joyland

Tate Taylor has the film rights and is currently working on finalising the script for the movie.

From A Buick 8

Richard Chizmar purchased the rights and will act as producer for the movie adaptation, with Tobe Hooper directing.

Mr Mercedes

This is currently being developed into a TV series by David E Kelley and will be aired during 2016.

The Eyes of the Dragon

Syfy are currently developing this into a movie. Michael Taylor and Jeff Vintar are confirmed to be penning the script and Taylor and Bill Haber will act as executive producers.

The Talisman

Frank Marshall purchased the rights and will act as producer for the movie. A full script has already been approved and Steven Spielberg has been touted as possible director.

fernandito
04-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Let's not make a monsoon out of a glass of water, that's all I'm asking. I don't want a repeat of what happened in the comedy nominations thread.

Thanks.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Let's not make a monsoon out of a glass of water, that's all I'm asking. I don't want a repeat of what happened in the comedy nominations thread.

Thanks.

If I remember correctly, there was no bickering at all when the comedy films were being nominated, or did I miss something? :confused:

Still Servant
04-06-2015, 03:34 PM

"In a world ruled by a group of righteous superheroes called "The Clique" one villain must prove that he is the real hero the world needs and expose "The Clique" as the true villains."

Lighten up, Merlin. There's no clique. I was just kidding before. It just seems like you're at the center of every disagreement involving anything that has to do with a poll.

Ricky
04-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Let's not make a monsoon out of a glass of water, that's all I'm asking.

Speaking of water, let's all take a moment to talk about how good water is. Especially when it's cascading over ice cubes. Cool, crisp, refreshing. Sometimes there's nothing like it. Mmm...

Still Servant
04-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Let's not make a monsoon out of a glass of water, that's all I'm asking.

Speaking of water, let's all take a moment to talk about how good water is. Especially when it's cascading over ice cubes. Cool, crisp, refreshing. Sometimes there's nothing like it. Mmm...

Stop trying to push your pro water agenda here. Water is overrated and hardly a necessity. Take that garbage somewhere else.

Mattrick
04-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Are we re-enacting Quantum of Solace?

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/quantum12.gif

Merlin1958
04-06-2015, 06:06 PM
So, when "Logic" fails, attack the protagonist? I was merely pointing out an overlooked flaw in the process. No harm, no foul just a mistake prone to us all. Is all the rest really necessary? The last few posts prove my thoughts....

mae
04-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Once again, I view Black House as part of The Talisman so that's why it wasn't on the poll. Or Finders Keepers, even through it's not published yet.

Mattrick
04-06-2015, 09:10 PM
So, when "Logic" fails, attack the protagonist? I was merely pointing out an overlooked flaw in the process. No harm, no foul just a mistake prone to us all. Is all the rest really necessary? The last few posts prove my thoughts....

Don't get how us talking about water proves any of your thoughts.

I am very much looking forward to Fukanaga's two part adaption of IT :D I can't see it being bad, he's so talented.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-06-2015, 10:22 PM

Because you're not talking about water. You are all posting that shit as a way to mock Bill's comments.

By pretending not to know and acting all innocent about this, just goes to demonstrate how particularly immature and childish you are when faced with someone with differing opinions. You all know exactly what you are doing when posting that kind of crap. It's the kind of passive aggressive behaviour I would expect from a group of pre teens in a school playground.

Maybe if you were all a little bit more accommodating towards other members, this kind of situation wouldn't arise, and then just maybe you would also be able to get more people to join in with your polls.

mae
04-06-2015, 10:55 PM
I don't get why polls constantly create controversy. If nobody likes them, maybe we shouldn't do them anymore.

webstar1000
04-07-2015, 03:31 AM
I don't get why polls constantly create controversy. If nobody likes them, maybe we shouldn't do them anymore.

I would ask that you not stop. I REALLY enjoy them and look forward to them man. Cheers! :rock:

Iwritecode
04-07-2015, 07:19 AM

We should have a poll to see if we should continue doing polls.

Ricky
04-07-2015, 07:24 AM
:rofl:

fernandito
04-07-2015, 07:35 AM
I am very much looking forward to Fukanaga's two part adaption of IT :D I can't see it being bad, he's so talented.

It will all come down to who they cast as Pennywise.

Girlystevedave
04-07-2015, 08:06 AM
http://i.qkme.me/3upbsn.jpg

Still Servant
04-07-2015, 01:56 PM

Because you're not talking about water. You are all posting that shit as a way to mock Bill's comments.

By pretending not to know and acting all innocent about this, just goes to demonstrate how particularly immature and childish you are when faced with someone with differing opinions. You all know exactly what you are doing when posting that kind of crap. It's the kind of passive aggressive behaviour I would expect from a group of pre teens in a school playground.

Maybe if you were all a little bit more accommodating towards other members, this kind of situation wouldn't arise, and then just maybe you would also be able to get more people to join in with your polls.

Merlin is the one who dishes it more than anybody on these boards. Even he would agree with that. I thought he could take it too, I guess not.

Nobody takes more cheap shots at Matt than Merlin. It's usually just shrugged off and never really turns into anything, but the fact of the matter is that he does it all the time, yet you paint him as the victim.

I could be off, but I think Merlin would even see where I'm coming from.

Mattrick
04-07-2015, 02:09 PM

Actually, that came from what Fernando posted about making a monsoon out of a glass of water. I wasn't even thinking of Merlin when I posted it, I was thinking about water. So, tell me again you know more about my intentions than I do?

Or it's not related at all to Merlin. I can't speak for the other guys, but I was running with their joking about Fernando's comment. We changed the subject...yet we're being passive-aggressive.

The only people who ever seem to be not accommodated are you and Merlin. No one else ever seems to get upset about this kind of thing, and if they do get upset, they don't voice it. I mean, seriously, if you can't handle a little joshing on the internet, the internet is the not the ideal place for you. If you think we're not accommodating...you haven't seen real unaccommodating people on the internet. They're nasty as all hell.

It will all come down to who they cast as Pennywise.

Rob Schnieder is...THE EVIL CLOWN. He's about to find out, that being a demonic, child-eating clown, isn't that easy! Rated R.

Mattrick
04-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Merlin is the one who dishes it more than anybody on these boards. Even he would agree with that. I thought he could take it too, I guess not.

Makes me glad I didn't blame his bad mood on the Jays taking the season opener.

Nobody takes more cheap shots at Matt than Merlin. It's usually just shrugged off and never really turns into anything, but the fact of the matter is that he does it all the time, yet you paint him as the victim.

This is true.

Heather19
04-08-2015, 08:20 AM
My picks:

The Long Walk
Joyland
Duma Key
Revival
The Regulators

and in that order. A redo of It would be number one, but that one is in the works, and hopefully will be a much better film than the miniseries. Also I know Frank Darabont bought the rights to The Long Walk a long time ago, but hasn't attempted to do anything with it. I really do hope however that he keeps them and pushes it up towards the front of his list. He's really the only one I can picture doing a very well made film that follows the story closely.

Girlystevedave
04-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Speaking of re-dos, a well done Shining movie (kept true to the book) would be amazing.
Also, I still need to read The Long Walk.

Lookwhoitis
04-08-2015, 09:01 AM
can't we all just have a creative discussion without a shyt-slinging contest? :D

Lookwhoitis
04-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Speaking of re-dos, a well done Shining movie (kept true to the book) would be amazing.

Why remake the Shining? Kubrick's version is a masterpiece.

So it is not exactly like the book. Who cares, it is an adaptation.

I do think they should make the sequel Doctor Sleep into a film and it will probably happen.

Lookwhoitis
04-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Also, and just FYI that I have heard on the net, I believe the rights have already been sold to production firms for "The Talisman" & Mr. Mercede's", and also "Duma Key" if I recall(?)

I doubt Black House would get made before the Talisman, as it is a sequel. The beancounters want a franchise.

Girlystevedave
04-08-2015, 09:09 AM

So it is not exactly like the book. Who cares it is an adaptation.

It's not that I think Kubrick's is bad- not at all. But it is "Kubrick's" adaptation. I'd just like to see the story on the big screen as told in the book.

Ben Staad
04-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Do it!

I still need to read The Long Walk.

Girlystevedave
04-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Do it!

I will I will! I know everyone around here loves it, so...

Heather19
04-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Do it!

What are you waiting for?! :panic:

And have you seen the miniseries of The Shining? It's much better at following the book, however I think it fails in every other way. I hated the casting for both Jack and Danny, which isn't good considering the story revolves around the two of them.

Girlystevedave
04-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Do it!

What are you waiting for?! :panic:

And have you seen the miniseries of The Shining? It's much better at following the book, however I think it fails in every other way. I hated the casting for both Jack and Danny, which isn't good considering the story revolves around the two of them.

I had heard that it followed the book. To be honest, from the looks of it, I just assumed it would be kinda cheap or corny. I hate to admit it, but when I hear "miniseries", my expectations immediately lower themselves. :lol:

As far as The Long Walk, I don't know what I'm waiting for!

Heather19
04-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Good, that ends the discussion then. Guess you'll be starting it tonight :D

mae
04-08-2015, 10:28 AM
P.S.: Loving your Song of the Sea avatar, Heather!

Girlystevedave
04-08-2015, 10:38 AM

:lol:

I think I will start it when I finish what I'm currently reading. :D

Still Servant
04-08-2015, 10:47 AM
I know a lot of people won't like it, but I would love for a Long Walk adaptation to dive deeper into the society and what it's like. How did the Walk come into existence and why? I was always so curious when reading that story.

Iwritecode
04-08-2015, 10:56 AM
I know a lot of people won't like it, but I would love for a Long Walk adaptation to dive deeper into the society and what it's like. How did the Walk come into existence and why? I was always so curious when reading that story.

I think that could actually work. Start the movie with the kid being dropped off at the start of the race just like the book but keep showing flashbacks that tell the background story as the walk continues on.

fernandito
04-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Don't trust her Heather she always says that.

Girlystevedave
04-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Woah woah woah. That applies when I'm talking about starting a new tv show. I don't procrastinate as bad when it comes to books. :lol:

Ricky
04-08-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't understand all the love for The Long Walk. I think it might be my least favorite Bachman book.

:D

It was a precursor to the Hunger Games. The Capitol was still developing them, so they need an interim way to punish society. Duh. Come on, Mike. Use your brain.

Mattrick
04-08-2015, 12:34 PM

Smells like Divergent.

Mattrick
04-08-2015, 12:39 PM

So it is not exactly like the book. Who cares it is an adaptation.

It's not that I think Kubrick's is bad- not at all. But it is "Kubrick's" adaptation. I'd just like to see the story on the big screen as told in the book.

Big Screen > Book. Book had so much explanation at the end I got a little bored. I hate ghost stories that feel the need to explain exactly how the ghosts are there, and who they were and why they're there. Kubrick's version is wayyyyy better. Axe over croquet mallet any day.

Heather19
04-08-2015, 01:43 PM

Excellent! :D

Oh no, not me. I might be in the minority but I don't think we need an explanation. You can just use your imagination.

Don't trust her Heather she always says that.

Hmmm, I'm still waiting for you to start a certain book...

I don't understand all the love for The Long Walk. I think it might be my least favorite Bachman book.

Oh no Ricky :(

Heather19
04-08-2015, 01:53 PM
P.S.: Loving your Song of the Sea avatar, Heather!

Thanks Pablo :)