PDA

View Full Version : What Happened?

Lookwhoitis
03-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Does the closing of the collectibles classified thread today mean this site has jumped the shark?

I go to work for 7 days straight and when I return one of my favorite threads and a big reason for spending a lot of time here has been banished.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6468-Collectible-Classifieds&p=911130&viewfull=1#post911130

What happened? Is it a knee jerk reaction? I cant really figure it out because I have been working long days and not reading as many posts.

It seems like the jefe is fed up with the personal conflicts that have been invading the sales threads and has just said fork it. He's not dealing with it anymore, but I think that REALLY hurts this site and our community as a whole.

We need a marketplace. Taking away the opportunity to buy and sell amongst each other limits one of the best reasons to visit this "corner" of the site.

If anything we need to lay down ground rules and a code of conduct (or perhaps that is already done but some problem children do not heed it, or maybe it is just not publicized enough) and enforce action against offensive posters not deny the community as a whole the ability to buy and sell.

I am really heartbroken at this development. This has been my favorite site on the net for quite some time and I feel like this really takes a lot away from the site and the community as a whole.

I do kind of understand RF's reaction and no nonsense attitude with all of the BS that has been going on lately, but I hope he will reconsider. No collectibles Classifieds thread makes this a grayer place.

My collection has grown by leaps and bounds by utilization of the collectibles classifieds, want to buy, and the Ebay King auctions (most of them posted tirelessly by RF himself) threads and I cry at the thought of any one of them not being available.

I'm not trying to stir up a ruckuss here, but I've been off site for a number of days and wonder why things have turned so sour so fast.

A concerned collector,

Lookwhoitis

Lookwhoitis
03-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Needless to say, I'd love to hear Randall Flagg's and other posters thoughts on this.

Hopefully we can have a constructive discussion about why there has been some chaos lately and how we can organize, lay down ground rules and self-police (because RF is too busy and does loads of work on the site already, including generously donating his own time to find and post deals on ebay) a code of conduct.

Or this thread may get banished too. Im hoping it doesnt and we can all figure out how to make this site, an INVALUABLE resource to the King fan and Collector, the best it can be (without stressing out the boss too much)

Please bring back the Collectibles Classifieds thread!

goheat
03-25-2015, 06:40 PM
I've stayed out of the conflict in the thread, but I second what you post; PLEASE don't close the Collectibles Classified thread. I have been rewarded with great deals from wonderful members, and feel that it has value beyond just good deals; I've made what I consider new friends via these deals.

Roseannebarr
03-25-2015, 07:03 PM
I too think the collectable classifieds shutting down will be sorely missed on this site. It helped a lot of members here, and brought great discussion, interest and service to its members.

My two cents for what it's worth.....

I think there are a few members here that could be a little sensitive and 1 or two that need to learn that every post does not require their comments on every post, but overall, the self policing has been working out great for the last several years. There has been a lot worse said on this site, I will miss the collectable classifieds, but given some of RFs previous posts. Ie service fees for selling, the idea of advertising to raise funds to support this site, I cant say I didn't see something like this coming!

my mother is 80 and lives 5 houses away from me, my mother in law had a stroke and lives in my home (1 year after getting married). My wife gets crabby every now and then, my point is I know when to keep my mouth shut and just listen!!

RIP Collectable Classified

allasorte
03-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Does the closing of the collectibles classified thread today mean this site has jumped the shark?

I go to work for 7 days straight and when I return one of my favorite threads and a big reason for spending a lot of time here has been banished.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6468-Collectible-Classifieds&p=911130&viewfull=1#post911130

What happened? Is it a knee jerk reaction? I cant really figure it out because I have been working long days and not reading as many posts.

It seems like the jefe is fed up with the personal conflicts that have been invading the sales threads and has just said fork it. He's not dealing with it anymore, but I think that REALLY hurts this site and our community as a whole.

We need a marketplace. Taking away the opportunity to buy and sell amongst each other limits one of the best reasons to visit this "corner" of the site.

If anything we need to lay down ground rules and a code of conduct (or perhaps that is already done but some problem children do not heed it, or maybe it is just not publicized enough) and enforce action against offensive posters not deny the community as a whole the ability to buy and sell.

I am really heartbroken at this development. This has been my favorite site on the net for quite some time and I feel like this really takes a lot away from the site and the community as a whole.

I do kind of understand RF's reaction and no nonsense attitude with all of the BS that has been going on lately, but I hope he will reconsider. No collectibles Classifieds thread makes this a grayer place.

My collection has grown by leaps and bounds by utilization of the collectibles classifieds, want to buy, and the Ebay King auctions (most of them posted tirelessly by RF himself) threads and I cry at the thought of any one of them not being available.

I'm not trying to stir up a ruckuss here, but I've been off site for a number of days and wonder why things have turned so sour so fast.

A concerned collector,

Lookwhoitis

I 100% cannot agree with you more. I can't afford to buy everything, but really enjoy taking a small portion of my time looking at what enthusiastic, hardcore collectors have up for sale. I liked reading what they had to say about what they were selling and what they wanted financially for their items. Being am avid collector of King for over 5 years, I love seeing "what is out there" besides selling sites. The "collectors classified" like you said, was a reason I came back. To broaden not necessarily my collection, but the knowledge of what people have listed. Not only were members listing things to sell, but they were also talking about rare books as well. All information is knowledgeable and a great learning experience for myself and I'm sure for others.

Then again, one reason I'm not a fan of social media is EVERYONE has something to say whether right or wrong. Not all opinions are worth hearing or reading and sometimes it gets out of hand. Just saying.

Pasiuk57
03-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Bring classifieds back. It is a great way for people to sell to other members. It seems to be rare when someone has an actual issue with another seller??
I do not read all the posts but I think it does serve a purpose.

bdwyer19
03-25-2015, 07:13 PM
While the various comments about certain sales can get annoying, it does seem that they are few and far between. Most sales are responded to positively.

Patrick
03-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Having now read the last few pages of the Classified thread, my impression is that it seems like the mix of sensitivity and insensitivity got out of balance - leaning a bit more toward the insensitive in regards to a new member who clearly and painfully way over-estimated the market. Made worse when the issue seemed to drag on.

I don't speak for Jerome, but perhaps this will be a temporary cooling off period to allow the thread to get back on topic. That is purely speculation on my part.

Tommy
03-25-2015, 07:25 PM
...perhaps this will be a temporary cooling off period to allow the thread to get back on topic...

I really hope so.

Lookwhoitis
03-25-2015, 07:30 PM
well I certainly hope that is the case. I am a recidivist collector.

I understand the reason for the "time out" if that is what it is. RF can't referee all the yahoos on this site, he already spends too much time doing productive things to give to members of this community by keeping the site going.

I really hope we get the Collectibles Classifieds thread back and work together as a community to continue to develop a thriving marketplace.

Part of the reason for a lot of the drama is some posters are just class clowns. They come in and try and be a smart ass for yukks but the internet (amd particularly message boards) has an effect of being easily mistranslated in joke or form of communication.

Everyone in general needs to grow a little thicker skin and also other community members should also call BS if problem behavior occurs, and the offending members need to be adjudicated with their own personal sort of "time out" or at least put on some kind of probation until they man the fugg up and apologize for being an arsehat, LOL

I love the sandbox. Lets play, wrestle, have storytime, sculpt castles or whatever, but please don't pee in it! :wtf:

Joe315
03-25-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm sad to see it go. Hopefully it is just a cooling off period as Patrick suggests.

I think, if the CC thread were to be reinstated, that it should ONLY be used for ads. No off topic comments, no pm posts, and especially no comments on a persons prices, good or bad.

Jimimck
03-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Gotta remember this is the internet and there are always going to be times where discussions get a bit carried away. Does it make it right and acceptable, no, but do you need to completely shut down a very popular thread and punish those who don't contribute to the aggravation? No IMO.

Here is hoping the thread gets reopened soon.

Regarding the "no comments on prices" rule, I actually like it when people point out if an item is priced too high. As a purchaser more than a seller, I am happy when people here point me to a better priced item or warn of an item priced too high. As a purchaser it helps understand what is a fair price to pay/offer. As long as the comment is polite, sellers shouldn't get their knickers in a twist if someone points out their price is too high. Ebay is where you should be free to try it on with any asking price, but as this is a group of close, like minded King collectors, the prices here should be as fair as possible for both parties.

Tommy
03-26-2015, 12:04 AM
Regarding the "no comments on prices" rule, I actually like it when people point out if an item is priced too high. As a purchaser more than a seller, I am happy when people here point me to a better priced item or warn of an item priced too high. As a purchaser it helps understand what is a fair price to pay/offer. As long as the comment is polite, sellers shouldn't get their knickers in a twist if someone points out their price is too high. Ebay is where you should be free to try it on with any asking price, but as this is a group of close, like minded King collectors, the prices here should be as fair as possible for both parties.

Yes but isn't that what the Current Market Value Experts Assess thread is for? The purchaser just needs to ask that thread what a decent price is before buying anything. I think CC should be only ads and no comments just to avoid situations like we are in now.

biomieg
03-26-2015, 12:16 AM
I agree. At the very least there should be a thread where members can post links to their eBay auctions but the original CC thread was great, and the Current Market Value thread perfectly complements it. So what if someone's asking prices are too high? Then the books won't sell. No need to bash new members that are obviously passionate collectors and no need to direct snarky comments at long-time members.

James - I also agree about fair pricing among members (almost everything I sold here went below market value) but I fully understand when someone is determined to play even. There have been several long-time eBay sellers (not members here) who obviously purchased their books when the King market was at its all-time high and it took them years to sell their collections because they tried to get their investment back and refused to lower their prices.

T-Dogz_AK47
03-26-2015, 01:09 AM
Surely there is much more to this forum than merely selling items without having to pay eBay fees?

There are a ton of other threads, especially in other areas of the forum that members can explore and participate in.

However, for those still desperate to sell items, you can always post a link to your listing on the "Intriguing eBay items" thread.

Just my 2 cents worth.

stroppygoblin
03-26-2015, 01:20 AM
Surely there is much more to this forum than merely selling items without having to pay eBay fees?

There are a ton of other threads, especially in other areas of the forum that members can explore and participate in.

However, for those still desperate to sell items, you can always post a link to your listing on the "Intriguing eBay items" thread.

Just my 2 cents worth.

CC is/was far more than that. It had become a 'safe' place for members to sell and buy directly based on feedback and good communication. It was a win/win for both parties as sellers saved on ebay and paypal fees and (in most cases) passed much of these savings on to the buyer. "Inriguing ebay items' requires more work (someone has to find them - usually RF) and you have no idea who you are buying from.

+1 on vote to see it return

herbertwest
03-26-2015, 01:20 AM
295 pages of posts in this thread. Almost 7,400 messages in the thread. I think that it would be worth reopening it...

T-Dogz_AK47
03-26-2015, 01:25 AM
Surely there is more to this site than merely selling items without having to pay eBay fees?

There are a ton of threads, especially in other areas of the forum that members can explore and participate in.

Members who are still desperate to sell items, can always post a link to their listing on the "Intriguing eBay items" thread.

Personally, I think closing the "Collectible Classifieds" will encourage members to participate in other areas of the forum that they wouldn't normally. This in turn, will enhance wider interaction amongst members and consolidate an overall feeling of site unity across the wider community as a whole.

Just my 2 cents worth.

T-Dogz_AK47
03-26-2015, 01:33 AM
I'm using my mobile phone to post at the moment and it keeps losing signal when I press the "post quick reply" button. This has resulted in me re-writing and posting practically the same comment twice by accident.

My apologies for this.

webstar1000
03-26-2015, 03:29 AM
Here is my thoughts. It was my favorite thread. Period... loved reading what was for sale (whether I can afford it or not). I loved seeing what the going rates are for various items I still need or the value of what I have. If someone wants to discuss pricing that is under Experts Access thread. I found it juvenile that some people feel the need to comment when they do not agree with someones pricing... PM THEM instead of opening your big mouth. They are RF's rules. Not only that it is respect.. we are all adults here and share a COMMON INTEREST!!! I do not blame him for getting tired of it... and when he ASKED for the jokes to stop... some felt the need to keep "picking at it". RF spends a lot of time on here doing good work... a little respect goes a long way towards his work and what he does for the community here. I miss the thread and hope he brings it back... and it sucks the actions of some have affected us all but it is what it is. I REALLY WISH the bickering and commenting would stop. Some days I love it here so MUCH... and some I feel like stepping back. Either way I respect RF's decision.

T-Dogz_AK47
03-26-2015, 03:33 AM
Here is my thoughts. It was my favorite thread. Period... loved reading what was for sale (whether I can afford it or not). I loved seeing what the going rates are for various items I still need or the value of what I have. If someone wants to discuss pricing that is under Experts Access thread. I found it juvenile that some people feel the need to comment when they do not agree with someones pricing... PM THEM instead of opening your big mouth. They are RF's rules. Not only that it is respect.. we are all adults here and share a COMMON INTEREST!!! I do not blame him for getting tired of it... and when he ASKED for the jokes to stop... some felt the need to keep "picking at it". RF spends a lot of time on here doing good work... a little respect goes a long way towards his work and what he does for the community here. I miss the thread and hope he brings it back... and it sucks the actions of some have affected us all but it is what it is. I REALLY WISH the bickering and commenting would stop. Some days I love it here so MUCH... and some I feel like stepping back. Either way I respect RF's decision.

Well said. :thumbsup:

RC65
03-26-2015, 04:33 AM
Wow. I go away for a week or so and come back to this unfortunate development ... Very sad to see. I certainly understand his rightful frustration, but i do hope RF reconsiders.

ELazansky
03-26-2015, 04:46 AM

I agree. I think the Classifieds thread should be like looking at the Classifieds in the newspaper. It should just contain listings with no comments posted about anyone's listings. If you have something to say, then send a PM.

Roseannebarr
03-26-2015, 05:14 AM

I agree. I think the Classifieds thread should be like looking at the Classifieds in the newspaper. It should just contain listings with no comments posted about anyone's listings. If you have something to say, then send a PM.

I disagree! Commenting on prices in a respectful way helps the seller and potential buyers know (learn) if prices are reasonable or not. I bought the shining for $600 before finding this site And betts books! I learned a lot from here, Now that I know some of my prices I can use an educated guess on whether A seller is reasonable or not. By looking at there whole list for sale. If they are selling the things I know are too high than the rest of their prices are suspect too! If someone is too sensitive about criticism on pricing, they should STAY AWAY from this site, members here are always watching out for each other! Especially when it comes to fools, airheads and arrogance! We all know who they are (they are just not self aware). If I started more than 5 or ten heated discussions and had to be warned on several occasions by the moderator, I would change or stop my bad behavior or even quit my irrevelent postings!

webstar1000
03-26-2015, 05:20 AM

I disagree! Commenting on prices in a respectful way helps the seller and potential buyers know (learn) if prices are reasonable or not. I bought the shining for $600 before finding this site And betts books! I learned a lot from here, Now that I know some of my prices I can use an educated guess on whether A seller is reasonable or not. By looking at there whole list for sale. If they are selling the things I know are too high than the rest of their prices are suspect too! If someone is too sensitive about criticism on pricing, they should STAY AWAY from this site, members here are always watching out for each other! Especially when it comes to fools, airheads and arrogance! We know who you are (you are just not self aware)

But that is what the other thread is for... discussions on pricing. Sorry but I cannot agree with you. It should be like opening the paper... or cruising Ebay. We have a thread for everything so why not use them the way they should be used. PLUS... you do not make the rules... RF does and those are HIS rules not ours.

Roseannebarr
03-26-2015, 05:23 AM

I disagree! Commenting on prices in a respectful way helps the seller and potential buyers know (learn) if prices are reasonable or not. I bought the shining for $600 before finding this site And betts books! I learned a lot from here, Now that I know some of my prices I can use an educated guess on whether A seller is reasonable or not. By looking at there whole list for sale. If they are selling the things I know are too high than the rest of their prices are suspect too! If someone is too sensitive about criticism on pricing, they should STAY AWAY from this site, members here are always watching out for each other! Especially when it comes to fools, airheads and arrogance! We know who you are (you are just not self aware)

. PLUS... you do not make the rules... RF does and those are HIS rules not ours.

Read MY post again. I am not trying to make any rules. You stated your opinion I stated mine. READ my post very carefully.

webstar1000
03-26-2015, 05:28 AM

. PLUS... you do not make the rules... RF does and those are HIS rules not ours.

Read MY post again. I am not trying to make any rules. You stated your opinion I stated mine. READ my post very carefully.

Holy cow... I was not attacking you. Calm down... I was just saying there are other threads and WE (both of us) do not make the rules.

jhanic
03-26-2015, 05:37 AM

Amen!

John

ELazansky
03-26-2015, 06:10 AM

I disagree! Commenting on prices in a respectful way helps the seller and potential buyers know (learn) if prices are reasonable or not. I bought the shining for $600 before finding this site And betts books! I learned a lot from here, Now that I know some of my prices I can use an educated guess on whether A seller is reasonable or not. By looking at there whole list for sale. If they are selling the things I know are too high than the rest of their prices are suspect too! If someone is too sensitive about criticism on pricing, they should STAY AWAY from this site, members here are always watching out for each other! Especially when it comes to fools, airheads and arrogance! We all know who they are (they are just not self aware). If I started more than 5 or ten heated discussions and had to be warned on several occasions by the moderator, I would change or stop my bad behavior or even quit my irrevelent postings!

It's OK to disagree. I just feel that Classifieds should be just that - ads for selling. You want to discuss the value of an item in the Classifieds, use the Current Value thread.

allasorte
03-26-2015, 06:11 AM

Exactly. There was an instance where someone was selling IT limited signed for 725.00? People were responding how cheap that was. Did I buy it; no. But I knew from the comments of the people on the thread that it was a great deal. That is what it's all about. Listing things and comments should be accepted (baring hateful finger pointing). Reading comments about an item is ideal and informative. What is a potential buyer going to do? Go on 15 different threads to figure out if something is worth the price? How much free time does everyone really have?! Let's be honest. People today are too sensitive. A comment earlier on this new thread stated "my wife has her period every month" and he deals with it. Is everyone now a days on a 30 day period? There are pills for EVERYTHING these days. Maybe joining this site people need to prove they use, with subscription proof, testosterone. Not to upset all the "too sensitive" people out there but this was a joke, or was it?

Patrick
03-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Respectful comments are inevitable, in my opinion. In this case, the joking comments turned into a dogpile on a new member and, despite requests from Jerome to let it go, the comments continued. After a while, as a whole, it reads as mean spirited.

goheat
03-26-2015, 06:59 AM
Respectful comments are inevitable, in my opinion. In this case, the joking comments turned into a dogpile on a new member and, despite requests from Jerome to let it go, the comments continued. After a while, as a whole, it reads as mean spirited.

Yeah, I think the biggest issue was that this was a new member that was 'ragged on,' so to speak. Not the best way to welcome and retain...

Kingfan24
03-26-2015, 07:05 AM
I have to echo both Roseannebars and Patrick's sentiments. When new members join and see these prices, they think that must be the going rate, and they buy. I think that commenting helps newer members know what they should expect to pay, as well as it lets the seller know that, not only are their prices high, but there are people here that want to protect against price gouging (not saying anyone has done that).

I made the comment on NoahM's post in, what I thought, was a matter-of-fact tone. I didn't say he was crazy, didn't make fun, just said that they were off and that was it. What was after that was totally unacceptable IMO. Some may disagree with me but I will continue to defend my position that comments should be allowed. I guess in a somewhat roundabout way I started the issue, but I will certainly not take blame for the closure.

Some people like to say I have a big mouth. That's fine, I respect your opinion. But you need to respect my right to post my opinion.

As far as rules of the site go, RF obviously can make any rule he so chooses. I disagree with his rule about no commenting, but I should have respected it. Personally I think that the threads should be open to comment as long as the comments are relevant. Posts about burning books or rooting for Red Sox or who's an idiot etc. etc. need to be put in the correct place.

Patrick
03-26-2015, 07:30 AM
A small clarification: I meant a comment or two is inevitable on the infrequent occasion when someone is significantly off the general perception of market value, not that every asking price that seems high will be discussed. As others have said, we have a whole thread dedicated to the determination of market value. I just want to be clear. Thanks.

zelig
03-26-2015, 07:40 AM

Yeah, I think the biggest issue was that this was a new member that was 'ragged on,' so to speak. Not the best way to welcome and retain...

The CC thread was a great asset to the forum, and I really hope RF brings it back after a cooling off period... It's a valuable resource for sure.

As to commenting or not commenting on prices, as we all know, there's a thread for that where market prices can be discussed at length. The odd comment here and there may be inevitable, and respectful comments can be beneficial. Everything goes to sh*t when the comments become mean spirited/snarky, especially when directed at a new member.

Regardless of this, if RF has implemented rules on a specific thread, or the forum in general, then those rules must be respected, and when they aren't those of us who do follow them should not have to suffer because of the actions of those who don't.

Another +1 to open the thread up again.

stroppygoblin
03-26-2015, 07:49 AM
One of the other aspects of the Collectible Classifieds thread that hasn't been commented on is how it does not benefit the site as a whole. RF has indicated before that he is not happy with this and felt that some portion of the money saved by one or both parties should find its way to helping run the site. I one for one have no issue with this and have managed to obtain books at prices from here that i would never otherwise have been able to afford.

Maybe CC should be reborn with some new rules:

1. Only members who have received at least 1 positive feedback can sell
2. Sellers must make a yearly donation (amount TBD) or agree a 1% donation per sale? (just spitballing on numbers here)
3. other criteria?

I have no idea how much of an admin overhead this would be or indeed how it could be 'policed' (but that should not really be necessary IMHO). It would be good if it wasn't possible to post unless you meet the criteria (or have something in your avatar that shows you are a 'certified seller')

Just ideas folks...

Edit: Just thinking this through.. If ONLY sellers could post in the thread then no comments could be made on prices. Buyers who are interested would just PM the seller directly.

Rahfa
03-26-2015, 08:17 AM
As one of the last posters to the thread (but I was posting a "let it go" video because I thought the whole discussion had gone on WAY too long) I feel bad - I hope I wasn't a straw on the camel's back!

It wasn't a respectful dialogue - and RF had asked repeatedly to change the topic. It was just rude and snarky, which everyone knows.

Bottom line - the seller was selling an overpriced item that nobody is ever going to pay that much for - so who cares? Going out of one's way to show what a mistake his original purchase was was just unneccesary.

Anyway - RF has shown in the past that, with some changes in attitude, I'm sure the thread will re-open.

I agree that comments on pricing just don't belong there - they belong on the current market value thread. Really, I don't think anything other than offers for sale, and 'sold' posts belong in the classifieds thread. It should be a strict marketplace - and there should be an expectation of some sort of kickback to the site.

Aronstg
03-26-2015, 08:38 AM
I personally would like to see that thread re opened. I've only sold one book through the thread and I think I've bought one book.. so in no way do I heavily use it. I do like to see what is for sale though and get an idea of what people are asking for books.

I do think that he did the right thing to shut it down temporarily. He specifically stated that he didn't want anyone else commenting on the issue and a few people decided they still needed to comment on the issue. That was pretty rude in my own opinion.

Hopefully the thread is up. I know that I donated to keep the site ad free this year (not as many as others but still a donation). A big reason for this was the classifieds thread.

bdwyer19
03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
One of the other aspects of the Collectible Classifieds thread that hasn't been commented on is how it does not benefit the site as a whole. RF has indicated before that he is not happy with this and felt that some portion of the money saved by one or both parties should find its way to helping run the site. I one for one have no issue with this and have managed to obtain books at prices from here that i would never otherwise have been able to afford.

Maybe CC should be reborn with some new rules:

1. Only members who have received at least 1 positive feedback can sell
2. Sellers must make a yearly donation (amount TBD) or agree a 1% donation per sale? (just spitballing on numbers here)
3. other criteria?

I have no idea how much of an admin overhead this would be or indeed how it could be 'policed' (but that should not really be necessary IMHO). It would be good if it wasn't possible to post unless you meet the criteria (or have something in your avatar that shows you are a 'certified seller')

Just ideas folks...

Edit: Just thinking this through.. If ONLY sellers could post in the thread then no comments could be made on prices. Buyers who are interested would just PM the seller directly.

In addition to these ideas, if there was a requirement that a seller needed to have X number of posts before posting something for sale, that would be beneficial to both sellers and buyers. Sellers will have checked out other threads and made meaningful posts, and buyers will hopefully have a better idea of who the individual is as well.

webstar1000
03-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Great discussion going here guys. LOTS of great points too. Maybe a small donation like Simon said would be a way to help out the site/thread? I certainly think it is worth it. Ebay and other sites are SO MUCH more than things get sold here for and we ALL love buying and collecting. I never like to sell anything cause I want my collection to be as big as possible. haha

Robert Fulman
03-26-2015, 08:49 AM
I'll offer a somewhat contrary point of view. I haven't posted much lately (this might only be my second post of the year), and the primary reason for my self-enforced absence is the push towards monetizing the site. These efforts include raising funds to defray the overhead associated with the site, but also suggestions that the site should be reimbursed for pairing buyers and sellers in the CC thread or when particularly great deals are posted to the Intriguing Sales thread. It's RF's prerogative to do these things, but it makes me uncomfortable, so I've done my best to stay away (obviously, my best is not good enough).

Regardless, I really like this site. I love looking at pictures of peoples' collections and new prides and joys. I love perusing the catalog and learning new things. However, I have had bad experiences on this site, and I think every single one of them was directly connected with the CC thread. In the few years I since I joined the site, I have:

Sold some books to Cook that smelled funny (which I wasn't aware of until he returned them). I will probably feel bad about that for the next 40 years.
Been harassed over $2 because I had the audacity to not pay using Paypal Gift.
Lost $200+ on a book that was never delivered because I had the stupidity to pay using Paypal Gift.
Been brow-beaten into submission over the asking price of a book
Been forced to circumvent Customs laws when dealing with an international member

In short, essentially every bad experience I've ever had on this site can be directly tied to the exchange of money for books. I would much rather buy and sell through eBay than use the CC thread. I think that the fees paid are more than worth it for the protections afforded. Even if I was dealing with someone who is a member of this site, I would still rather purchase or sell through eBay in order to keep the business part of the relationship strictly professional.

I'm going to go crawl back under my rock now.

Br!an
03-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Some polite discussion is generally appreciated by all. I learn a lot from the discussions that I read here. I don't want the helpful and friendly discussion to end.

Joking around isn't necessarily harmful either. There is a point at which it isn't funny anymore though.

RF is fairly flexible with the rules. When he says "Enough" then we should all respect that.

Lookwhoitis
03-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Robert Fulman, I agree with a large number of the points in your post. I do not think the site should be monetized or you should be asked to charge a fee to be allowed to trade. I know RF has kept ads off the site due to personal preference and looking out towards having a better product for the community, but I feel like a small amount of ads might be the best way to raise funds for the site.

Some folks repeatedly suggest making the trade function accessible to only paying members and/or subscription payers but I think that would ruin this vibrant site and community by creating an exclusive trade club.

Folks are from all different ways of life and financial backgrounds here. Not everyone is as rich as a Super-collector. I think keeping the site FREE in as all ways is the best to encourage community growth and a wide range of posters. Include everyone. If you want an exclusivity relationship, conduct it behind pms.

I agree wholeheartedly behind your point on Paypal Gift. It is RIDICULOUS to suggest that we should HAVE do it for any reason, as the buyer has ZERO recourse on loss or damage of package. That being said, I myself have sent paypal gift to many sellers on this site I have developed a relationship with through buying. I do this as a conscious choice to help save them some money and almost always arrange insurance on the package or some other way of protecting myself.

Anyone that attempts to manipulate you to get around legal customs fees is definitely out of bounds, BUT if a buyer is WILLING to do that to help out a seller then they should be allowed to. Stick it to the Man if you wanna but dont make it a REQUIREMENT on site.

I think the act of demanding Paypal Gift should be as egregious a marketplace ethics violation as commenting about someones prices in the sales thread.

As for folks who keep echoing "Randall Flagg Makes the Rules," that is unfairly pushing the regulation and operation of a community marketplace onto him when he is already over worked and allowing the marketplace on his site out of the goodness of his heart and his wish to see the community develop and be rewarded by the benefits of said marketplace. He does not make a profit on it. I think the community should make the Rules and oversee the Regulation thus taking any work and frustration of the bosses plate. We need to self regulate. Compose a list of rules and reguations and do's and dont's and allow RF to just enjoy the benefits of increased traffic and larger diversity of Community that a bustling marketplace will bring.

bdwyer19
03-26-2015, 09:42 AM
What I find particularly frustrating is that the person who was essentially the straw that broke the camel's back, is someone who doesn't even collect King books anymore, and just wanted some attention.

Lookwhoitis
03-26-2015, 09:43 AM
The fact is that the Marketplace should be free of all commentary other than sales listings. Folks who are GIVEN the BLESSING of being able to sell in a marketplace for FREE to a direct target audience of the consumers of your product should RESPECT the integrity of the marketplace as a whole and also allow the owner some respite from having to referee petty children's squabbles, drama queens demonstrations, newbies mis-steps and concurrent hazings, and crooks' insidious capers.

ALL commentary should be taken to ANOTHER thread, regardless of your belief of your "right to speak" on the internet. if you do not do this, you just have an overvalued opinion of the worth of your commentary (2c), or are just LAZY, or both.

Dano
03-26-2015, 09:49 AM
N
I'll offer a somewhat contrary point of view. I haven't posted much lately (this might only be my second post of the year), and the primary reason for my self-enforced absence is the push towards monetizing the site. These efforts include raising funds to defray the overhead associated with the site, but also suggestions that the site should be reimbursed for pairing buyers and sellers in the CC thread or when particularly great deals are posted to the Intriguing Sales thread. It's RF's prerogative to do these things, but it makes me uncomfortable, so I've done my best to stay away (obviously, my best is not good enough).

Regardless, I really like this site. I love looking at pictures of peoples' collections and new prides and joys. I love perusing the catalog and learning new things. However, I have had bad experiences on this site, and I think every single one of them was directly connected with the CC thread. In the few years I since I joined the site, I have:

Sold some books to Cook that smelled funny (which I wasn't aware of until he returned them). I will probably feel bad about that for the next 40 years.
Lost $200+ on a book that was never delivered because I had the stupidity to pay using Paypal Gift.
Been forced to circumvent Customs laws when dealing with an international member

In short, essentially every bad experience I've ever had on this site can be directly tied to the exchange of money for books. I would much rather buy and sell through eBay than use the CC thread. I think that the fees paid are more than worth it for the protections afforded. Even if I was dealing with someone who is a member of this site, I would still rather purchase or sell through eBay in order to keep the business part of the relationship strictly professional.

Your post struck a chord with me. Besides one For Sale in the CC, I've only bought on this site and donated to Haven via a recent eBay auction. I also donated to keep the site ad free. My only for sale offering was quickly and repeatedly hounded for refusing to ship outside the United States. It soured me from ever wishing to sell again, which I will not. I WILL miss seeing what was for sale and I do hope we are allowed to still, "be in search" of certain books.

The hassle of dealing with comments about a for sale item did feel excessive and until I read your comment, I hadn't thought about the difficulty of recovering your money when using PP gift. I understand why RF is taking a break from the thread.

Now, I shall go back under my rock.

Dan

Lookwhoitis
03-26-2015, 09:53 AM
What I find particularly frustrating is that the person who was essentially the straw that broke the camel's back, is someone who doesn't even collect King books anymore, and just wanted some attention.

Reference my post above to class clowns... I feel like his comments were taken WAY to seriously and should have been received with more thick skin, but ALSO that his placing of the jokesterism in the SALES thread was out of line and totally unacceptable. Dude's life has been destroyed by divorce, his collection scattered to the winds, so he has turned from a well standing member of the community to a cynical seeker of blackly sarcastic laughs. We should have some compassion as a community for one of our own. and DUDE! if you are reading this, how do you feel about your antics affecting the community as a whole by potentially personally deriving the community of a feature that many love and cherish and use?

There is a time and place and THREAD for everything! Respect the Marketplace and BLESSING of a Free place to conduct commerce. Don't be an ASSHOLE. If you are going for Snarky humor USE EMOTICONS. Place signifiers (j/K) and above all else, do it in the APPROPRIATE THREAD. Respect the COMMUNITY.

Most of the problems, flame wars, and incidents on this site are brought on by posters with a ME-FIRST attitude towards their opinions or ideas.

It is my opinion is that all are worth 2c or the loss of $ you spend by wasting the time you spent on reading (or replying to) it. Feel free to contribute but don't damage.

Respect the COMMUNITY and dont fugg up a good thing. Please?

Lookwhoitis
03-26-2015, 09:59 AM
Your post struck a chord with me. Besides one For Sale in the CC, I've only bought on this site and donated to Haven via a recent eBay auction. I also donated to keep the site ad free. My only for sale offering was quickly and repeatedly hounded for refusing to ship outside the United States. It soured me from ever wishing to sell again, which I will not.

If you do that Dano, he WINS and the rest of the Community LOSES (by being denied the opportunity to buy your collectibles by one person).

bdwyer19
03-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Reference my post above to class clowns... I feel like his comments were taken WAY to seriously and should have been received with more thick skin, but ALSO that his placing of the jokesterism in the SALES thread was out of line and totally unacceptable. Dude's life has been destroyed by divorce, his collection scattered to the winds, so he has turned from a well standing member of the community to a cynical seeker of blackly sarcastic laughs. We should have some compassion as a community for one of our own. and DUDE! if you are reading this, how do you feel about your antics affecting the community as a whole by potentially personally deriving the community of a feature that many love and cherish and use?

There is a time and place and THREAD for everything! Respect the Marketplace and BLESSING of a Free place to conduct commerce. Don't be an ASSHOLE. If you are going for Snarky humor USE EMOTICONS. Place signifiers (j/K) and above all else, do it in the APPROPRIATE THREAD. Respect the COMMUNITY.

Most of the problems, flame wars, and incidents on this site are brought on by posters with a ME-FIRST attitude towards their opinions or ideas.

It is my opinion is that all are worth 2c or the loss of $ you spend by wasting the time you spent on reading (or replying to) it. Feel free to contribute but don't damage.

Respect the COMMUNITY and dont fugg up a good thing. Please?

I don't think any current members were offended, but it was directed at a new member. Tough to have thick skin about a comment when you have no background of the person who made it.

Dano
03-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Your post struck a chord with me. Besides one For Sale in the CC, I've only bought on this site and donated to Haven via a recent eBay auction. I also donated to keep the site ad free. My only for sale offering was quickly and repeatedly hounded for refusing to ship outside the United States. It soured me from ever wishing to sell again, which I will not.

If you do that Dano, he WINS and the rest of the Community LOSES (by being denied the opportunity to buy your collectibles by one person).

Good point. But for me it represented pretty quickly how openly a member can confidently criticize a sales thread, where on a large comic book forum I post/buy/sell it is immediately called out as, "thread crapping" and deleted within minutes. There are at least 8 active moderators on that site. That is nigh impossible for RF to police here.

Dan

Patrick
03-26-2015, 11:01 AM
"Thread crapping" I love that term!

Lookwhoitis
03-26-2015, 11:16 AM

Good point. But for me it represented pretty quickly how openly a member can confidently criticize a sales thread, where on a large comic book forum I post/buy/sell it is immediately called out as, "thread crapping" and deleted within minutes. There are at least 8 active moderators on that site. That is nigh impossible for RF to police here.

Dan

Im a vet of CGC too :D

biomieg
03-26-2015, 11:32 AM
There are many moderators on this site but none active in The Corner (I think Jerome and Patrick are the only ones with mod powers dwelling here). I do think it would not be a bad idea to have one or two extra mods among the collectors.

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Some polite discussion is generally appreciated by all. I learn a lot from the discussions that I read here. I don't want the helpful and friendly discussion to end.

Joking around isn't necessarily harmful either. There is a point at which it isn't funny anymore though.

RF is fairly flexible with the rules. When he says "Enough" then we should all respect that.

Can I get an "Amen" to that?

Dano
03-26-2015, 12:09 PM

Dan

Im a vet of CGC too :D

:biggrin1:

Dan

jhanic
03-26-2015, 12:46 PM

Can I get an "Amen" to that?

Amen!!!

John

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 12:50 PM
I have to echo both Roseannebars and Patrick's sentiments. When new members join and see these prices, they think that must be the going rate, and they buy. I think that commenting helps newer members know what they should expect to pay, as well as it lets the seller know that, not only are their prices high, but there are people here that want to protect against price gouging (not saying anyone has done that).

I made the comment on NoahM's post in, what I thought, was a matter-of-fact tone. I didn't say he was crazy, didn't make fun, just said that they were off and that was it. What was after that was totally unacceptable IMO. Some may disagree with me but I will continue to defend my position that comments should be allowed. I guess in a somewhat roundabout way I started the issue, but I will certainly not take blame for the closure.

Some people like to say I have a big mouth. That's fine, I respect your opinion. But you need to respect my right to post my opinion.

As far as rules of the site go, RF obviously can make any rule he so chooses. I disagree with his rule about no commenting, but I should have respected it. Personally I think that the threads should be open to comment as long as the comments are relevant. Posts about burning books or rooting for Red Sox or who's an idiot etc. etc. need to be put in the correct place.

If you are suggesting that I should stop burning "Faithful's" or start rooting for the Red Sux, you are stark raving mad and need help!!! LOL

jhanic
03-26-2015, 01:13 PM

If you are suggesting that I should stop burning "Faithful's" or start rooting for the Red Sux, you are stark raving mad and need help!!! LOL

I think we have to realize some people are just incorrigible. :P

John

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 01:15 PM

I think we have to realize some people are just incorrigible. :P

John

Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if civilization as we know it was coming to an end!!! LOL

mosheprigan
03-26-2015, 01:24 PM
My 2cts: Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this Forum unfortunately has served lately as an arena for public execution, lynching people for posting their 2cts. There has been too much chaos lately because people GOT USED to write in aggressive way as if they hadn't heard of Manners. Mocking at a new member or insulting a vet – that's a perfect recipe of estranging collectors or sawing off the bough this site is sitting on. If you want this Forum to survive - BE POLITE! Yes, it's very hard nowadays …

Shannon
03-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Since I don't collect King anymore, my opinion/jokes should be kept to myself? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

As far as how I feel about Jerome closing the CC, its his site and he can do as he wishes. To blame me for the actions of another is ridiculous. He didn't have to close it, he chose to. I think its a temporary statement rather than a permanent closure, because at the end of the day, Jerome loves the community and knows that the community loves the CC and is a huge reason for visiting the site as much as they do.

The last thing I will say about the situation is this: I made a joke, and if some people or the new member took it personally, I truly do not care. Why would I? If stupid jokes bother you, I'd say you need a thicker skin. I didn't aggressively bully or pester anyone over and over again until they were so upset that they killed themselves, and again, if they did, I wouldn't care. Get over it.

Not PC enough? I don't care. I've never cared about being PC, only honest.

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 01:37 PM
Did somebody say something??? I must have missed it. Strange..... I think, Moshe has a good point. Moshe, you rock on!!!

T-Dogz_AK47
03-26-2015, 01:39 PM

+ 1 :thumbsup:

This is exactly why I chose to sell my #1 copies of Christine and Pet Sematary through eBay instead of using the "Collectible Classifieds" thread. I thought it best to keep the transaction purely professional and fully protected.

T-Dogz_AK47
03-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Sniff... Sniff... Did someone just fart?

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Sniff... Sniff... Did someone just fart?

AHHHHHHHH, Yep!!! :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Edit: Now I feel all empty inside!!!

mosheprigan
03-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Did somebody say something??? I must have missed it. Strange..... I think, Moshe has a good point. Moshe, you rock on!!!

Thnx, dude! what's up?

Randall Flagg
03-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Since I don't collect King anymore, my opinion/jokes should be kept to myself? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

As far as how I feel about Jerome closing the CC, its his site and he can do as he wishes. To blame me for the actions of another is ridiculous. He didn't have to close it, he chose to. I think its a temporary statement rather than a permanent closure, because at the end of the day, Jerome loves the community and knows that the community loves the CC and is a huge reason for visiting the site as much as they do.

The last thing I will say about the situation is this: I made a joke, and if some people or the new member took it personally, I truly do not care. Why would I? If stupid jokes bother you, I'd say you need a thicker skin. I didn't aggressively bully or pester anyone over and over again until they were so upset that they killed themselves, and again, if they did, I wouldn't care. Get over it.

After post #7357, you left it alone. The thread wasn't closed because of you continuing after I became adamant about the issue. You were a dick, and I occasionally appreciate that about you, but when I really asked you to cease, you did.
Members should read from that point on, and also look in the collection thread for Noahm (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19057-Book-Collection-NoahM/page3) for the post that pissed me off.
Blame the two members who never post anything for sale in CC, but would certainly buy something that a newbie (or a veteran) listed at a foolishly low price.

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 01:57 PM

Thnx, dude! what's up?

Same shit, different day. Are we having some fun now? LOL Glad I am not in the center of it for a change. I'm just eating my popcorn and watching. Nice for a change!!! LOL Think I'm gonna have an authenticate Israeli date, with peanut butter!!! LOL

mosheprigan
03-26-2015, 02:04 PM

Thnx, dude! what's up?

Same shit, different day. Are we having some fun now? LOL Glad I am not in the center of it for a change. I'm just eating my popcorn and watching. Nice for a change!!! LOL Think I'm gonna have an authenticate Israeli date, with peanut butter!!! LOL

ENJOY IT! I mean the DATES. Are you eating from YOUR box or from cutie Merlin IV's! lol

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 02:09 PM

Thnx, dude! what's up?

ENJOY IT! I mean the DATES. Are you eating from YOUR box or from cutie Merlin IV's! lol

Grandma & Liam IV hid those!!! LOL

Phalucha
03-26-2015, 02:09 PM
i agree the view that the classifieds page should be devoid of commentary. Just post your items, your prices and let collectors know when items are not available anymore. That is all.

mosheprigan
03-26-2015, 02:18 PM

Thnx, dude! what's up?

Grandma & Liam IV hid those!!! LOL

They're just taking precautions ... lol

Merlin1958
03-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Are we officially done with this now? I may have done some things in the past that I am not particularly proud of and I take full responsibility for those occasions, but except for one particular issue, I have never crossed "El Jefe". He is the barometer and, God Bless him for that. That is the one cardinal rule we should all follow without question or go elsewhere.

Lookwhoitis
03-26-2015, 03:58 PM
I dont think that closing the door on discussion is prudent for any subject.

Randall Flagg has one of the coolest corners on the web and it is up to us to help make it better by not acting a fool all of the time.

I'm surprised that some of the high volume sellers haven't chimed in here yet. I'd think they would be proponents to keeping the thread open.

I believe RF will eventually re-open the thread, as it makes this place better and helps folks build their collections, but I dont surmise he is gonna cotton to much more tomfoolery

Sir_Boomme
03-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Are we officially done with this now? I may have done some things in the past that I am not particularly proud of and I take full responsibility for those occasions,

yeah... and we all know about those mistakes.... just send me my back child support checks and we'll forgive you "those occasions".

Sir_Boomme
03-26-2015, 04:23 PM

After post #7357, you left it alone. The thread wasn't closed because of you continuing after I became adamant about the issue. You were a dick, and I occasionally appreciate that about you, but when I really asked you to cease, you did.
Members should read from that point on, and also look in the collection thread for Noahm (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19057-Book-Collection-NoahM/page3) for the post that pissed me off.
Blame the two members who never post anything for sale in CC, but would certainly buy something that a newbie (or a veteran) listed at a foolishly low price.

dang... never went to or read that thread.... now I'm going to have to go see what all I missed.

dnemec
03-26-2015, 04:54 PM
I have sold a little, but bought a bunch from the CC thread. It came up in some thread last year and I counted...and even I was a little disturbed at just how much! Anyway, I subscribed to it after missing out on some cool stuff and while I peep all around the site, it is probably my favorite thread. That being said, things got out of hand and I don't blame RF for shutting it down. I can just hope that it's temporary. But it seems things have been a little wonky all over the site recently. I think the main problem is there's too much testosterone in here. Where my bitches?! :D

Papaseraphim
03-26-2015, 06:59 PM
I haven't used the Collectible Classifieds thread to buy of sell, but always enjoyed perusing it. Some of the prices asked on Ebay are really crazy and it is nice to see the more realistic prices in the CC thread.

zelig
03-26-2015, 07:57 PM
I think the main problem is there's too much testosterone in here. Where my bitches?! :D

I agree. More ladies please... :smile:

Ari_Racing
03-26-2015, 09:28 PM
There are many moderators on this site but none active in The Corner (I think Jerome and Patrick are the only ones with mod powers dwelling here). I do think it would not be a bad idea to have one or two extra mods among the collectors.

I'm also a moderator of The Corner

webstar1000
03-27-2015, 02:50 AM
I have sold a little, but bought a bunch from the CC thread. It came up in some thread last year and I counted...and even I was a little disturbed at just how much! Anyway, I subscribed to it after missing out on some cool stuff and while I peep all around the site, it is probably my favorite thread. That being said, things got out of hand and I don't blame RF for shutting it down. I can just hope that it's temporary. But it seems things have been a little wonky all over the site recently. I think the main problem is there's too much testosterone in here. Where my bitches?! :D

hahahhahah That was awesome Dez. lol

Cook
03-27-2015, 06:48 AM
My opinion if anybody gives a rats ass.... If "Collectible Classified" is seriously permanently shut down without a suitable replacement, the growth of this site will plummet.
Not trying to be nasty, just stating what I believe. Most of the recommendations I have given to this site have been while chatting to other book buyers while out on my book excursions.

One of the things I like about this site is the simple fact that people can speak how they feel, I have personally been involved in a few give and take bantering sessions and have survived.
Some of the women who frequent the Calvin's side of the site have a bigger set than some of the men who frequent here, if you can't handle some of the opinions then move on.
(the statement about some of the women here was intended as a compliment)
I must be missing some mysterious mystery here? Are we still discussing a thread with the intent of buying and selling books?
If you want the bickering to stop, post a picture or listing of the book you wish to sell (no price allowed), anybody interested can pm an offer or not... Do the details in a PM.

biblio.phage
03-27-2015, 06:53 AM
I love the Classified thread, and would hate to see it to not be no more.

Pasiuk57
03-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Most everyone looks forward to the thread....How about bringing it back?

Randall Flagg
03-27-2015, 10:20 AM
I'll reopen the thread in a bit, but members need to read and adhere to the rules:

The Collectible Classifieds thread is not to be used for a debate about whether or not to sell an item or a collection.
The Collectible Classifieds thread is intended to notify members of a personal sale(s). This thread is not to advertise the sale of other people's books-just you the member selling an item or two.
Whining, maudlin posts, and or pleading are strictly forbidden.
Questioning, or criticizing a sale price is considered rude.

Sell or buy; but no crying. There are other threads to lament.
Ebay (http://www.ebay.com) sales should be mentioned in the Ebay (http://www.ebay.com) thread.

Members also should be aware of the TOS on the site regarding staff interaction, particularly section 4C:

4 (C) Blatant disregard of a request, arguing with, or attacking a staff member in the forums will result in immediate mod queue for a period of no less than twenty-four hours.

mkb.redux
03-27-2015, 10:22 AM
I'll reopen the thread in a bit, but members need to read and adhere to the rules:

The Collectible Classifieds thread is not to be used for a debate about whether or not to sell an item or a collection.
The Collectible Classifieds thread is intended to notify members of a personal sale(s). This thread is not to advertise the sale of other people's books-just you the member selling an item or two.

Ebay (http://www.ebay.com) sales should be mentioned in the Ebay (http://www.ebay.com) thread.

Members also should be aware of the TOS on the site regarding staff interaction, particularly section 4C:

4 (C) Blatant disregard of a request, arguing with, or attacking a staff member in the forums will result in immediate mod queue for a period of no less than twenty-four hours.

Glad to hear it. Thanks.

goheat
03-27-2015, 10:45 AM

Glad to hear it. Thanks.

Yes, I second the Thanks, Jerome!

bdwyer19
03-27-2015, 10:56 AM
The rules make perfect sense. Thanks Jerome!

jhanic
03-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Jerome!

John

Priest
03-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks Jerome!

zelig
03-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Good to hear, thanks.

frik
03-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Excellent. And thank you, Jerome.

sk

Lookwhoitis
03-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Happy Day! :D

Papaseraphim
03-27-2015, 01:20 PM
:thumbsup:

skyofcrack
03-27-2015, 01:29 PM

May I suggest that everyone here who is a moderator say such underneath their name. I have no idea who moderates here except you, Jerome.

Randall Flagg
03-27-2015, 01:34 PM

May I suggest that everyone here who is a moderator say such underneath their name. I have no idea who moderates here except you, Jerome.
The color of their member name is the indicator. Blue=Facilitator, Green=Manager, Purple=Director. It's that simple.

skyofcrack
03-27-2015, 01:37 PM

The color of their member name is the indicator. Blue=Facilitator, Green=Manager, Purple=Director. It's that simple.

What if I'm color blind? :D Yours says owner...

Randall Flagg
03-27-2015, 01:48 PM

Then I suggest you familiarize yourself with the staff. On the main forum page near the bottom is a link for "View Forum Leaders (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showgroups.php)".

skyofcrack
03-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Then I suggest you familiarize yourself with the staff. On the main forum page near the bottom is a link for "View Forum Leaders (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showgroups.php)".

Well, I can't argue with that. Literally. http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/smilies/eek.gif

Dano
03-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Thank you, Jerome!

Dan

T-Dogz_AK47
03-27-2015, 04:02 PM

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but in terms of being a moderator on this forum what is the difference between a Facilitator and a Manager?

AstroDad
03-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks Mr Flagg!

Merlin1958
03-27-2015, 05:16 PM
Did I miss something? Why is the classified closed again? I thought that was all behind us and everyone agreed to behave.

Lookwhoitis
03-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Thanks for re-opening the thread, Jefe!

:excited:

Merlin1958
03-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks for re-opening the thread, Jefe!

:excited:

Am I missing something? It's closed.

Lot guy
03-27-2015, 06:22 PM

Thanks Jerome!!!!
Let's sell some books Ladies and gentlemen

Merlin1958
03-27-2015, 06:33 PM

Thanks Jerome!!!!
Let's sell some books Ladies and gentlemen

Okay, is it like just closed to me? Somebody clue me in out there? My hands were clean in this one!!!

Lookwhoitis
03-27-2015, 06:43 PM
No it is still closed. I'm sure the jefe will open it when he gets a chance. He can't be on here all hours of the day.

Merlin1958
03-27-2015, 06:45 PM
No it is still closed. I'm sure the jefe will open it when he gets a chance. He can't be on here all hours of the day.

Well, at least I'm not crazy..... yet!!! LOL I thought he re-opened it yesterday and all was good. Did someone crack wise and get it closed again, or is it just an accident?

Randall Flagg
03-28-2015, 05:48 AM
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but in terms of being a moderator on this forum what is the difference between a Facilitator and a Manager?
Manager's have a bit more authority than Facilitators, and might me in charge of more forums. Directors have authority in all area of the board and can access the Control Panel where technical changes are made.

Pasiuk57
03-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Jerome
great decision. Let's hope everyone understands these very simple rules.

Patrick
03-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Manager's have a bit more authority than Facilitators, and might me in charge of more forums. Directors have authority in all area of the board and can access the Control Panel where technical changes are made.
There's a control panel?

stroppygoblin
03-28-2015, 09:50 AM
There's a control panel?

Step away Patrick..... :evil:

Randall Flagg
03-28-2015, 10:01 AM
There's a control panel?
Yes.
It's a good way to fuck things up as I have found. Once had to roll the site back 2 days (losing all posts during that period) because of a change I made. Don't try anything without have an expert (I have 2 sons who are tech gurus) around.

Sir_Boomme
03-28-2015, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=Randall Flagg]
[/QUOTE ]

Just great....now I'll never be able to put a post up again...

oh wait... that's exactly what I said when my ex-wife made the same rules for our bedroom.

Randall Flagg
03-28-2015, 02:31 PM
BTW, since there is no sales commission here, sellers save over 10% on every PP "gift" transaction done here.
I can assure you that in 2014, sales from the CC thread were at least $75K (so conservative as to be embarrassing). Rest assured that as a group, the sellers never thought to forward just 2%.

stroppygoblin
03-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Also for US member information, PP Gift incurs a currency exchange charge for payments made from a different currency. It's not as 'free' as it's thought to be.
I don't begrudge it (well not much) but I don't think it's widely appreciated by US members selling overseas.

AKC
03-28-2015, 03:36 PM
BTW, since there is no sales commission here, sellers save over 10% on every PP "gift" transaction done here.
I can assure you that in 2014, sales from the CC thread were at least $75K (so conservative as to be embarrassing). Rest assured that as a group, the sellers never thought to forward just 2%.

I would recommend to just let us know the expectation regarding a selling commission for the privilege of selling on the site. If a small % is the preferred vehicle to raise the $2,400 to keep the site ad free, just let the community know and those wanting to sell will understand the financial obligations ahead of time...

Ari_Racing
03-29-2015, 08:55 AM
I never pay using gift since I don't have that option. Nevertheless, I don't mind paying a fee for selling here.

Ari_Racing
03-29-2015, 08:56 AM
Oh, I think I saw that! Instead of the forum there was a phrase you used in CC thread just before being closed!

sgc1999
03-29-2015, 12:10 PM

agreed. It was really the coolest place to window shop even if you didnt have money. I also hope it comes back at some point and a lesson is learned.

Joe315
03-29-2015, 05:23 PM
It has been back since yesterday.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6468-Collectible-Classifieds/page296

wolfehr
03-29-2015, 05:35 PM

I would recommend to just let us know the expectation regarding a selling commission for the privilege of selling on the site. If a small % is the preferred vehicle to raise the $2,400 to keep the site ad free, just let the community know and those wanting to sell will understand the financial obligations ahead of time...

As long as it's stated in advance, I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a commission for sales made through the site. You leveraged the audience to make a sale, and pay a little back in return. I'm not sure how it'd work logistically though.

Cook
03-29-2015, 06:20 PM
O

As long as it's stated in advance, I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a commission for sales made through the site. You leveraged the audience to make a sale, and pay a little back in return. I'm not sure how it'd work logistically though.

Charging a fee for selling books on the site is ridiculous, based on what profit?
Many times I have sold books to DT.org members for less than I've paid because it's a nice gesture, should I pay for that also.
How about the items I've donated just because it was a nice gesture.. Do I get credits for the nice stuff?
I also found some pretty good deals for a few people here, I was a middleman, didn't make a nickel.
If the site needs to generate funds I believe all users should pay a fee, if everybody pays a yearly fee, problem solved.
There seems to be an underlying intent to target certain users rather the DT.org family as a whole.
Certain individuals keep comparing the site to ebay.. It's not ebay.

I will be happy to donate to the site only if everyone donates.
If only collectable classified users have to pay for the site, then I'll quit selling.

wolfehr
03-29-2015, 07:20 PM
O

Charging a fee for selling books on the site is ridiculous, based on what profit?
Many times I have sold books to DT.org members for less than I've paid because it's a nice gesture, should I pay for that also.
How about the items I've donated just because it was a nice gesture.. Do I get credits for the nice stuff?
I also found some pretty good deals for a few people here, I was a middleman, didn't make a nickel.
If the site needs to generate funds I believe all users should pay a fee, if everybody pays a yearly fee, problem solved.
There seems to be an underlying intent to target certain users rather the DT.org family as a whole.

If only collectable classified users have to pay for the site, then I'll quit selling.

Most other avenues where you could advertise charge a fee, so I think charging in general isn't unreasonable, regardless of where the fee is going. If you're selling for below cost as a nice gesture, kudos to you! In this hypothetical you can charge a few dollars more to cover the commission. I'm not sure the volume of transactions from this site, but $2,400 spread over every a years worth is probably small on an individual transaction basis. I can only imagine there would be no fee if you you donated a book for something like a HF auction, that's a completely separate situation outside of CC. I have no idea how it'd be accomplished logistically, but if it could be done, I think charging some sort of fee per transaction wouldn't be unfair. It's not about equitably helping pay the bills; it's about paying for a service, and in that case you're only paying when you make a sale.

That being said, I think there are probably other ways to generate the money, that are probably easier to implement. I imagine this site is a good target audience for a lot of publishers and book sellers and I haven't noticed any advertisements. I'm willing to bet a decent amount of cash could be raised with some banner ads, sponsored links, etc. As long as the ads don't get insidiously mixed in with the content and forums, I'd be okay with it, and I feel a lot of the other members would be too. I might actually even want to see the advertisements on this site! Anyway, just my two cents.

Cook
03-29-2015, 08:08 PM
O

Most other avenues where you could advertise charge a fee, so I think charging in general isn't unreasonable, regardless of where the fee is going. If you're selling for below cost as a nice gesture, kudos to you! In this hypothetical you can charge a few dollars more to cover the commission. I'm not sure the volume of transactions from this site, but $2,400 spread over every a years worth is probably small on an individual transaction basis. I can only imagine there would be no fee if you you donated a book for something like a HF auction, that's a completely separate situation outside of CC. I have no idea how it'd be accomplished logistically, but if it could be done, I think charging some sort of fee per transaction wouldn't be unfair. It's not about equitably helping pay the bills; it's about paying for a service, and in that case you're only paying when you make a sale.

That being said, I think there are probably other ways to generate the money, that are probably easier to implement. I imagine this site is a good target audience for a lot of publishers and book sellers and I haven't noticed any advertisements. I'm willing to bet a decent amount of cash could be raised with some banner ads, sponsored links, etc. As long as the ads don't get insidiously mixed in with the content and forums, I'd be okay with it, and I feel a lot of the other members would be too. I might actually even want to see the advertisements on this site! Anyway, just my two cents.

Sorry, I meant for my post to be stand alone.
I accidentally hit respond to post.
I did not intend to respond specifically to just your post, no disrespect intended.

Merlin1958
03-29-2015, 09:41 PM
O

I've donated towards site fees and I never sell. I also wanted to give away items and you had something to say about that. Just FYI if you are thinking of getting into it. Also, the HF which thanks to you and your friends I am done with, has nothing to do with this discussion. It's a charity for God's sake. You really need to take a good look at your position before you start spouting. No one is "targeting" anyone that's just your own paranoia. It is just a simple fact, deal with it and move on. The DT.Org family has contributed to the site fees already to insure that you have a platform on which to sell. Move on.

Jerome, is absolutely correct in saying that sellers retain more by selling here than if they had to resort to ebay. A small stipend in recognition of that luxury is not out of line at all. As it stands now I pay for you and others to sell on this site, how does that factor into your argument? It would be nice if, everyone just did it without having to enforce a policy. It's just good form IMHO

AKC
03-30-2015, 02:22 AM
Wow.

Again, perhaps Jerome should simply tell us what the expectations will be regarding a selling fee going forward. Once known, sellers can then decide which vehicle (Betts, eBay, SK Collector, TDT) is the most appropriate for them to offload their item(s).

We simply need a position established as to how it's going to be.

wolfehr
03-30-2015, 08:03 AM
O

Sorry, I meant for my post to be stand alone.
I accidentally hit respond to post.
I did not intend to respond specifically to just your post, no disrespect intended.

No worries, and no disrespect taken :) I think everyone benefits from a productive discussion, even if there are disagreements.

Lookwhoitis
03-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Selling fees or monetizing participation in this site will shrink the membership and participation and ruin the free market that exists currently.

Different folks have different feelings about donating for running costs, charging fees, raising money for charity by buying and selling and the such. Some folks have more money than others. Others are more giving and don't mind paying. That is a good thing. Give them the opportunity to do so. But it also does not make one position better than the other. The heavy handed rhetoric about paying someones way is negative. Everyone comes from a different background and different financial situations and espouses to different things that they will and will not do (especially involving doling out money).

Any system or donation program that is implemented as mandantory will drive SOME folks away. Any establishment of a "good old boys club" or paying membership or cadre of who is well connected that doesn't include anyone who wants to join and participate (at no cost) will negatively impact the vibrant diversity and impact the growth of the community as a whole.

King collecting is a niche market, in the greater scheme of things. Don't turn away part of your audience by monetizing the site further. Do give folks the ability to contribute at their will and hopefully folks who appreciate the site will do so (newsflash: they already have)

I still don't think that a small amount of tasteful, genre specific advertising would be that bad. I mean no one wants to see ads for "CAR INSURANCE FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR!" But if I saw ads for Comics shops, Sub Press, Cemetery Dance, Centipede Press, Camelot Books, or Mylars- R-Us, I'd click through em even if I wasn't going to buy anything (just to see the site earn some ad revenue). Heck you can always use Adblock or a similar browser add-on if you hated the ads (and most people already do).

But I get it, RF doesn't want to do it and I respect his decision. That's why I kicked in a small amount during the fundraising drive. I also have bought many items to benefit the Haven fund, and have given to the widget in the past. But i tell ya, the imposition of Mandantory fees, heavy handed solicitation of donations for either charity or operating costs, it is a bad thing and it will decrease the participation of the community.

my 2c

Lookwhoitis
03-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Wow.

Again, perhaps Jerome should simply tell us what the expectations will be regarding a selling fee going forward. Once known, sellers can then decide which vehicle (Betts, eBay, SK Collector, TDT) is the most appropriate for them to offload their item(s).

Why is the issue of Seller's fees even being raised? The funds were raised for the sites operation costs already this year. By donation from a minority of site users.

It seems to me like Randall Flagg closed the thread because a minuscule amount of posters were acting like horses asses and being disrespectful of other members (and it has been happening in more than one thread than the Collectibles Classified thread over the past few months)

The boss does not want to referee people who behave like children.

AKC
03-31-2015, 03:59 AM
Wow.

Why is the issue of Seller's fees even being raised? The funds were raised for the sites operation costs already this year. By donation from a minority of site users.

That's actually a really good question.....

Randall Flagg
03-31-2015, 04:51 AM
Wow.

That's actually a really good question.....
I never mentioned implementing a fee. I simply mentioned that quite a lot of books were sold via the CC.
At the end of last year I asked for donations to keep the site ad free. Ad free means the entire site, for all members.
Currently I am not prepared to ask for fees to sell in the CC thread, but that could change. I am looking into add on software that could be used to sell stuff, but so far I've not found anything I like.
Since I am not pushing the issue at this time, maybe people can relax.

carlosdetweiller
03-31-2015, 05:47 AM
Since I am not pushing the issue at this time, maybe people can relax.

Relax? Where's the fun in that?

wolfehr
03-31-2015, 05:58 AM
:grouphug:

jhanic
03-31-2015, 08:31 AM
RF, don't you get the feeling that managing this site is like trying to herd cats?

John

Randall Flagg
03-31-2015, 11:10 AM
RF, don't you get the feeling that managing this site is like trying to herd cats?

John
Or like trying to keep all the frogs in a wheelbarrow.