PDA

View Full Version : Misery on stage

mae
01-24-2012, 09:54 AM
http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/on-stage/stephen-kings-misery-to-hit-the-stage-in-dubai

A British theatre company is promising Dubai audiences plenty of "jumps" and "surprises" during a tense and gripping tale of obsession, entrapment and inner demons.

The stage adaptation of one of Stephen King's most memorable psychological thrillers, Misery, will be brought to the First Group Theatre at Madinat Jumeirah from February 1 to 11 for 16 performances by the London-based theatre company Popular Productions.

The American writer is known for his scary fantasy and science-fiction novels in which clowns are never good, pets are seemingly possessed, husbands a little unstable and women a tad unpredictable. And the latter is true of his female lead Annie Wilkes, Misery's main character.

The story follows Wilkes, a psychologically unstable woman who rescues famous novelist Paul Sheldon from a near fatal car crash after having just finished his latest book. An increasing sense of danger begins to settle in as his "number one fan" takes him home and he realises nobody knows he is there. Brought to life in the 1990 film starring Kathy Bates and James Caan (Bates won the Best Actress Academy Award for her portrayal), this stage adaptation by Simon Moore features Wilkes played by the British actress Yvonne O'Grady, while the British actor Darren Day takes the role of Sheldon.

Taking a break during a rehearsal in London recently, the director John Payton said the Dubai production would be an intimate show that delves deep into the concept of celebrity obsession. The show was first produced by the company in 2006 for the London stage.

"Thrillers are popular and Stephen King is a master of such genres," said Payton. "He's great at creating characters far removed from reality but realistic at the same time. It's a clever adaptation that stays true to the book with an exciting back-and-forth between the main characters and sudden twists. Here's a guy trapped by his 'number one fan', and we explore reasons why."

Popular Productions also have an office in Dubai and are no strangers to taking local audiences out of their comfort zone. In 2009, they brought the critically acclaimed adaptation of The Woman in Black to Dubai, now a movie starring Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and due to be released in cinemas this year.

"We always aim to bring something different. It's not often you see talent like Yvonne and Darren together," said Payton. "Moore didn't want to deviate from the book, so it's a slow-burning example of how someone can do something so bad. It's pretty macabre and there's a real sense of tension because it's theatre."

The set is "big and dark", mainly consisting of the house.

"It's slightly surreal. It's a story of imprisonment, so the audience will experience claustrophobia mixed with black humour. The music will also make you jump," said Payton.

There are no local performers on the 10-member cast and crew. With Day being a familiar face to British television (The Bill, I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here) and the West End (Grease, We Will Rock You), he immediately stood out.

"I'm extremely excited and because it's pretty intense, it's even exhausting in rehearsals. The movie was fantastic, but there's no question the book is darker with lots of layers," said Day. "It's scary because obsession is very real."

Day himself had his fair share of being scrutinised by the British tabloids. He also once took an injunction out on an individual for stalking.

"Sometimes my personal life would be spread out across the front pages," said Day. "I've had stalkers and what's unnerving is, sometimes, I even received letters from fans who address me by my character's name expressing anger over what he did, so I took some of that and channelled it into my performance of Sheldon."

O'Grady, who starred in popular TV series such as Coronation Street and The Bill, agreed that the intensity is "amazing" which is emboldened, she added, through their onstage chemistry.

"Wilkes is psychologically disturbed. What's interesting is the audience gets a glimpse of her past for an idea as to why she goes through these moods," said O'Grady. "She is isolated, lonely and judgemental and we see a string of events in her life that she may have been involved with."

The fact that humans are capable of such acts towards each other makes it even more chilling, she said.

"Anyone who has seen the film will still be surprised," said O'Grady. "When playing the character, one becomes the cause not the act. It's set in a dark house - a dungeon of terror, if you like - where Wilkes has a fantasy they will live happily ever after, but he's fighting to get out, so she tries to physically and psychologically destroy him."

The first performance begins at 8pm on February 1, and tickets are Dh140 each. All other evening shows are Dh160. For matinées (2pm) tickets are Dh140 each. For more information, visit www.madinattheatre.com or www.popularproductions.com

mae
08-26-2012, 08:35 AM
http://www.chichester.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment/stephen-king-s-misery-at-the-connaught-theatre-worthing-1-4196298

The celebrated James Caan/Kathy Bates film Misery comes to Worthing in a production of Stephen King’s classic horror story.

Rebecca Wheatley (Casualty) and Philip Bulcock (Jersey Boys) are the tormentor and the tormented in a twisted tale is set in the depths of Colorado.

Romantic-fiction novelist Paul Sheldon is caught in a freak snowstorm.

After crashing his car, Paul cannot believe his luck when he is rescued by former nurse Annie Wilks who is also his number one fan.

But it’s soon clear that Annie is precisely the kind of fan you really don’t want to have.

Rebecca, who lives in Hove, is delighted to be playing so close to home (Connaught Theatre, Tuesday, August 28-Saturday, September 1); she’s even more delighted to be playing so complex and evil a character.

“Dramatically it is a fantastic part,” she said.

“I haven’t done many thrillers before.

“I have done dramatic roles, but not really thriller thrillers. She is just amazing.

“There is a lot to learn and a lot of work of to do.

“She has touches of humour, but she really is a complexly evil character. She is very disturbed as a person.

“But actually the reason she keeps Paul Sheldon alive so long is because she loves him. It’s infatuation.

“She has a different relationship with him.”

It’s clear that she has killed time and time before, but with Sheldon things are different: “They both understand that she will kill him, but to her, she is being kind to him simply by torturing him rather than killing him outright.

“For her, that’s love.

“And she is also very puritanical. She says to him ‘Don’t smoke! It will give you cancer!’ And you think what she is doing to him. She is a psychopath.

“I have played quite a lot of characters who are mad and harmless rather than mad and psychotic, so for me to be truly bad is a departure.

“I am really quite a smiley person.”

mae
09-21-2012, 08:33 AM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/stephen-kings-misery-back-from-the-dead-in-bucks-county/

“Misery is alive, Misery is alive!” Kathy Bates cries with wild-eyed joy in her Academy Award-winning performance in the 1990 horror movie “Misery,” ecstatic that the heroine of her favorite books has been brought back from the dead. “I’m going to put on my Liberace records!”

This fall Misery Chastain will live again, this time on stage: The theatrical division of Warner Bros. Entertainment announced on Thursday that it had developed a new play based on the original “Misery” novel by Stephen King that will run Nov. 24-Dec. 8 at Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, Pa.

The script is by the two-time Oscar winner William Goldman, whom Warner Bros. recruited in Hollywood’s latest attempt at synergy between the film and theater worlds. Mr. Goldman previously adapted the King novel for the screen version of “Misery,” and won his Academy Awards for “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” and “All the President’s Men.”

No casting was announced for the lead roles of the mystery writer Paul Sheldon (played by James Caan in the film) and Annie Wilkes, Ms. Bates’s character, a homicidal nurse and Sheldon’s “No. 1 fan” who holds him prisoner in her home after a car accident leaves him badly injured.

There are no plans at this point for a future run in New York or elsewhere, a spokeswoman for the production said. Still, the producing director of Bucks County Playhouse, Jed Bernstein, who is also a Broadway producer, noted in a telephone interview on Thursday that the playhouse “historically has been a launching pad for shows like ‘Harvey’ to go on to Broadway and elsewhere, and we’re very excited to be make the playhouse a key part of the Broadway and theater development process.” The playhouse reopened in July after staving off foreclosure and being restored after years of physical decay.

“Misery” will be staged by Will Frears, who also directed the movie “Coach” and several Off Broadway plays including “Year Zero” and “The Water’s Edge.” The creative team will include several Broadway veterans, including the Oscar winner Ann Roth (costumes), “Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson” the composer Michael Friedman (music), and Rick Sordelet (fight direction).

Warner Bros. Theater Ventures has produced a handful of shows on Broadway, including the musicals “Elf” (which is returning for an encore run this fall) and the critically derided “Baby It’s You” and “Lestat.” Executives of the theater division said in a statement that “Misery” was one of several stage projects in the pipeline from the studio’s catalog of films.

WeDealInLead
09-22-2012, 06:10 AM
I saw a play at a local theatre a couple years ago and it was great.

mae
10-11-2012, 02:14 PM
http://www.birminghammail.net/your-communities/your-news/2012/10/10/your-stage-stephen-king-at-sutton-arts-theatre-97319-32000702/

SUTTON Arts Theatre in South Parade, Sutton Coldfield, is presenting the stage version of Stephen King’s classic chiller Misery.

Following a car crash, novelist Paul Sheldon is held captive by his number one fan, nurse Annie Wilkes. As she says, everyone she ever loves dies so, in spite of his badly-smashed legs, he has to escape before he becomes another victim.

The production runs from the November 1 -10. Tickets are available from the box office, tel 0121 355 5355. It is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday evenings, from 7.30pm to 9pm.

herbertwest
03-04-2015, 02:48 PM
(hollywoodreporter) Bruce Willis to Make Broadway Debut in Adaptation of Stephen King's 'Misery' (Exclusive)
>>> http://thr.cm/nuBFqN

needfulthings
03-04-2015, 03:08 PM
ALL I CAN SAY IS...
BRUCE WILLIS "BREAK A LEG"

dnemec
03-04-2015, 05:17 PM
ALL I CAN SAY IS...

:doh:

Sounds interesting though. I recognize the actress from several Law & Order: Criminal Intent episodes. I'd go see if if I lived in the city.

Theli
03-04-2015, 05:30 PM
ALL I CAN SAY IS...

lololol

Jon
03-04-2015, 06:31 PM
How will Brice ever get to blow up a highrise in that little bedroom?

Merlin1958
03-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Child, please!!! LOL

EXPLORER
03-04-2015, 07:18 PM
I did not see a date of opening for that yet.

Ari_Racing
03-04-2015, 08:19 PM
OMG...I'm really crossing my fingers that I'd be able to travel to NYC to see it.

Shannon
03-04-2015, 09:40 PM
NOW I HAVE
A TYPEWRITER
HO - HO - HO

herbertwest
03-05-2015, 02:24 AM
OMG...I'm really crossing my fingers that I'd be able to travel to NYC to see it.

And the perfect opportunity to meet again your contacts at Scribner !

mae
06-23-2015, 07:32 AM
http://www.broadway.com/buzz/180823/laurie-metcalf-will-replace-elizabeth-marvel-in-bruce-willis-led-misery-on-broadway-dates-theater-set/

Bruce Willis will have a new "Number One Fan" when he makes his previously reported Broadway debut this fall! Three-time Emmy winner and two-time Tony nominee Laurie Metcalf has been tapped to replace Elizabeth Marvel in the stage adaptation of Stephen King’s Misery. It has also been announced that the production will begin performances on October 22 and officially play a 16-week limited engagement. Opening night is scheduled for November 15 at the Broadhurst Theatre, which is currently playing host to Mamma Mia!.

Marvel, a regular on Netflix's House of Cards, has had to withdraw from Misery due to scheduling conflicts. Metcalf, an original member of the Steppenwolf Theatre, received Tony nods for her performances in The Other Place and November. She has also been seen on Broadway in Brighton Beach Memoirs and My Thing of Love. Metcalf won three Emmy Awards for Roseanne; additional screen credits include Getting On, The Big Bang Theory, Desperately Seeking Susan, Leaving Las Vegas, Uncle Buck, JFK, International Affairs and the Toy Story series.

Directed by Will Frears, the play is penned by two-time Oscar winner William Goldman. Misery follows successful romance novelist Paul Sheldon (Willis), who is rescued from a car crash by his “Number One Fan,” Annie Wilkes (Metcalf), and wakes up captive in her secluded home. While Paul is convalescing, Annie reads the manuscript to his newest novel and becomes enraged when she discovers the author has killed off her favorite character, Misery Chastain. Annie forces Paul to write a new “Misery” novel, and he quickly realizes Annie has no intention of letting him go anywhere. The irate Annie has Paul writing as if his life depends on it, and if he does not make her deadline, it will.

Goldman also adapted the best-selling 1987 book for film. The 1990 movie starred James Caan as Sheldon and Kathy Bates in an Oscar-winning performance as Wilkes. The Frears-helmed stage adaptation received its world premiere at Pennsylvania’s Bucks County Playhouse in November 2012, starring Daniel Gerroll and Tony nominee Johanna Day.

The production will feature scenic design by David Korins, costume design by Ann Roth, lighting design by David Weiner and sound design by Darron West.

Xerrand
06-26-2015, 06:41 AM
Seems very cool, but Bruce willis doesn't exactly have a Paul Sheldon look....

DoctorZaius
08-03-2015, 06:03 PM
Not sure how many people have been following the new Broadway Production of Misery, with Bruce Willis. Tickets went on sale today. Laurie Metcalf, of Rosanne fame, has been cast as the infamous Annie Wilkes. This one looks to be pretty intense. Anyone planning on attending?

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/181661/tickets-now-available-to-see-bruce-willis-laurie-metcalf-in-stephen-kings-misery-on-broadway/

mae
09-15-2015, 02:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X2_6AUJzDw

stkmw02
09-22-2015, 03:27 AM
Tickets are already on sale?! I'm really hoping to see it... and I *think* I've dropped enough hints (just texted my husband TICKETS FOR MISERY ARE ON SALE) that it could be a gift.

Ricky
09-22-2015, 07:01 AM
They've been on sale for a while. I'd want to go, too, but the closest that I've found available (center orchestra) were L/M/N rows. And I checked all throughout February!

mae
10-22-2015, 06:03 AM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/stephen-kings-misery-heads-to-the-stage-1445522236

WHEN THEATER DIRECTOR Will Frears got the call from his agent that the screenwriter and author William Goldman wanted to discuss adapting Stephen King’s novel Misery for the stage with him, he was somewhat indisposed. “My agent scheduled the meeting for two days after my wife was due to have our first child,” says Frears, sitting in the living room of Goldman’s penthouse inside The Carlyle hotel, in Manhattan. Goldman, who wrote the screenplay for Misery as well as for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All the President’s Men and The Princess Bride, has lived in the hotel for over three decades.

Even though Frears had to plow through King’s novel and the Goldman film adaptation with a crying infant in his arms, he says he couldn’t pass up the chance to meet one of his idols. “I had read [Goldman’s] books Which Lie Did I Tell? and Adventures in the Screen Trade, and they made a huge impression on me,” he says, gesturing toward Goldman’s library, where several copies of the writer’s own books dot the shelves. “I’d seen almost every other movie he’d ever written. I just hadn’t seen Misery, because to be honest, the trailer scared me too much.”

The pair initially met at one of Goldman’s favorite haunts, Café Boulud, on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, and had what was the first of five years’ worth of lunches at the restaurant, working on the Broadway script over espressos and ice cream. “I’d come to sing for my supper that day,” Frears, 42, recalls, smiling at Goldman, 84. “I remember it felt like a dating show. I was so proud of myself for making you laugh.”

Goldman decided to work with Frears because he is “a perfectly civilized guy,” he says. “Also, he is a sports nut. That’s important.” (Goldman is a devoted Knicks fan.) Though Goldman had never seen Frears’s work before, Frears, a graduate of the Yale School of Drama, is convinced that his background of making “theater with scary themes”—including The Pillowman, The Water’s Edge and Rainbow Kiss—won him the job. “I have kind of made a name for myself directing plays featuring unpleasant behavior,” says Frears, who jokes of Goldman’s habit of working over lunch: “This is why you work with Bill Goldman. It’s catered. You never miss a meal.”

When Misery opens this month—starring Bruce Willis and Laurie Metcalf—it will mark the Broadway debut of the London-born Frears and a long-awaited return for Goldman, whose last Broadway productions were Blood, Sweat, and Stanley Poole and A Family Affair, both in the ’60s. “If you can go to the theater and see something terrific, it is one of the great experiences of life,” says Goldman.

Goldman wrote the film script for Misery in the late ’80s in collaboration with director Rob Reiner; they attempted to remove some of the blood and gore from King’s original novel and infuse a bit of absurdist comedy into the story of a writer captured, tortured and shackled to a bed in a rural cabin by a psychotic superfan. “King really is a remarkable figure,” says Goldman. “But also generous. He wants his stuff to pass on to being something else.”

A major challenge of transitioning from screen to stage, says Frears, was figuring out how to prevent the play version from feeling overly static, as it takes place primarily in a cabin in the woods. One of the first decisions? “No intermission,” says Frears. “It’s just 90 straight minutes of torture.”

mae
11-01-2015, 09:07 AM
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/29/misery-first-look-bruce-willis

As Carrie the Musical rages on in Los Angeles, another Stephen King classic is set to terrorize the New York stage.

Broadway welcomes Misery to the fold this season in a new stage adaptation of King’s 1987 novel, written by William Goldman, who penned the 1990 film version starring Kathy Bates as a psychotic fan who holds her favorite novelist (James Caan) hostage following a car crash.

On Broadway, the roles have been filled by Laurie Metcalf and Bruce Willis in a production directed by Will Frears, who equates the pair’s chemistry to a symphony between two sonic souls (although a third actor, Leon Addison Brown, also pops up during the play as an ill-fated sheriff).

“Laurie is a performing animal and Bruce is a machine through the middle, so you get this wonderful contrast where it becomes orchestral,” Frears tells EW of the taut thriller. “They play their talents in different ways, delightfully, so that they’re both there in concert with each other. Laurie’s a genius and she’ll do things you’ve never considered possible. And there’s something just to have Bruce do Bruce, which I find thrilling to watch.”

But for all the folks flocking to the Broadhurst Theatre to see a starry, snowy showdown between Metcalf and Willis, there’s another subsection of theatergoer who’ll visit Misery to see just one thing: someone’s ankles get sledgehammered.

For that pivotal, gruesome moment, Frears had a very specific vision in mind. “There’s only ever been one way: you break his ankles with a sledgehammer,” he says, laughing. “The largest conversation was, which ankle first?” Equating the climactic scene to the “To be, or not to be” soliloquy in Hamlet, Frears knows that the giggling, gasping audience grows visibly agitated the closer they get to the hobbling.

“You can feel their excitement, that they spent the whole show waiting for it to come,” he teases. “I feel like people’s memories of the film are so extraordinary at this point — or, their memory of their memory, if that makes sense — that it always felt very important to me that you had to give them what they wanted to see. And if you’re giving them what they want, you have to give them the best version of what they want.”

Misery opens Nov. 15 at the Broadhurst Theatre, but enjoy EW’s exclusive first look at the gloomy hostage situation:

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/styles/tout_image_612x380/public/i/2015/10/29/misery-03.jpg
http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/10/29/misery-01.jpg
http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/10/29/misery-02.jpg

skyofcrack
11-01-2015, 11:24 AM
John McClane would not sit still for this. He has a gun taped to his back.

mae
11-16-2015, 07:14 AM
http://www.amny.com/entertainment/misery-review-bruce-willis-laurie-metcalf-in-laughable-stephen-king-adaptation-1.11126979

Was the new stage version of "Misery," which stars Bruce Willis and Laurie Metcalf, always intended to be played up for laughs, or did it accidentally turn into a parody of Stephen King's 1987 thriller novel?

"Misery" is best-known for the 1990 film version with James Caan and Kathy Bates, who won an Oscar for her disturbing performance as the deranged "No. 1 fan" of a best-selling pulp romance writer.

William Goldman, who wrote the screenplay, also penned the stage adaptation. Although the number of characters and locations has been reduced, the story remains the same.

Paul Sheldon wakes up in Annie Wilkes' Colorado home to learn that his car flipped over during a snowstorm. He is lying in bed in pain, with fractured legs and a dislocated shoulder.

After Annie learns that Paul has killed off Misery, her favorite character, in the latest installment of the book series, she buys him a typewriter and forces him to start an all-new manuscript where he can bring Misery back to life, adding that she has not told anyone that he is alive and that he is completely dependent on her for survival.

In the infamous "hobbling" scene, with Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" playing in the background, Annie ties Paul to the bed and smashes his ankles with a sledgehammer.

Whereas Rob Reiner's film was chilling, the 90-minute Broadway production (directed without focus by Will Frears), comes off as a psycho version of "The Odd Couple," with audience members laughing throughout at Annie's apparent insanity.

Those who don't see the humor are likely to find it a pointless star vehicle.

Metcalf is big, loud and over-the-top as Annie. On the other hand, the gruff-looking Willis displays little energy or presence, which easily allows Metcalf to overtake the show.

If you go: "Misery" plays an open run at the Broadhurst Theatre. 235 W. 44th St., miserbroadway.com.

Five Stephen King stories we'd like to see (back) on Broadway

1. 'Carrie' It was already made into a musical which notoriously flopped, but maybe people would take it seriously as a drama.

2. 'Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption' Retitled "The Shawshank Redemption" for the 1994 film, it has already been performed onstage in the U.K.

3. 'The Shining' King originally intended for the story to be a play. However, it may be more fun to see this done as a wild musical parody.

4. 'Under the Dome' How about an environmental production in which the entire audience is placed under the dome?

5. 'Children of the Corn' Who doesn't love seeing kids onstage?

Bev Vincent
11-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Bruce Willis is getting hammered by the critics as well as in the play...

wolfehr
12-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Just purchased tickets for Jan 16th. The two middle seats in the second row (orchestra center) were available :)

mae
02-01-2016, 08:19 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/stephen-king-enjoys-night-misery-article-1.2514175

Horror writer Stephen King took a trip to Broadway to see the stage adaptation of his 1987 novel "Misery" and became part of the show.

"King tried to sneak into the Broadhurst Theatre before the curtain rose on the smash hit production of his worldwide sensation 'Misery,' starring Bruce Willis and Laurie Metcalf, (and) he was greeted by a sold out audience with thunderous applause," we're told.

And it turns out King has a sense of humor.

"King snuck backstage to greet Willis and Metcalf, exclaiming his famous words 'I'm your #1 fan'!" said an onlooker, referencing the famous line from the show that's said by the obsessed romance novel fan, Annie Wilkes who holds her favorite author, Paul Sheldon captive. King also complimented on their performance.

"You give great Annie and you give great Paul, and I hope you'll be very happy together," he said to Metcalf and Willis, joking "It's nice to see that you two are still friends."

(Spoiler alert: Annie and Paul share an unhealthy relationship in the play.)

King told fans backstage that he came down from Maine for the weekend just to see "Misery" on stage before it closes on Valentine's Day. We're told King also regaled the actors with is recollections from writing the horror novel, which also became a 1999 movie, and told them he loved their interpretation of the story's pivotal "hobbling scene."

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2514174.1454103072!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_635/conf2lead1f-1-web.jpg

burial
02-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Movie from backstage (http://kingowiec.pl/stephen-king-obejrzal-misery-na-broadwayu)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOoIszKKMo

Randall Flagg
02-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Movie from backstage (http://kingowiec.pl/stephen-king-obejrzal-misery-na-broadwayu)
Great find.
Thanks.

Br!an
02-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Thanks Sebastian! That was cool.

mae
01-03-2017, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TnnMFIjEyY

mae
09-22-2017, 01:40 PM
https://www.broadwayworld.com/maine/article/MISERY-to-Take-the-Stage-in-Stephen-Kings-Hometown-20170922

Penobscot Theatre Company will present William Goldman's chilling dramatization of Stephen King's Misery, a Maine premiere. The production will run October 12 through November 5 at the Bangor Opera House, in the heart of Stephen King's hometown.

"Stephen King has more #1 Fans per capita in Bangor than anywhere in the world," said Producing Artistic Director Bari Newport, "including everyone in this company, so we're honor-bound to bring this classic to life in fully satisfying fashion. It will be miserable alright, and our audience is going to love it!"

First published in 1987, Misery tells the story of best-selling author Paul Sheldon, who is rescued from a car crash by his self-proclaimed "number one fan" Annie Wilkes. Annie secrets him away in her remote home and attends to his injuries, but when she discovers a plot twist in Sheldon's latest romance novel, things take a dark turn and Paul finds himself writing as if his life were dependent on it. And it is.

William Goldman penned the screenplay for the 1990 film adaptation starring Kathy Bates, who earned an Oscar as Annie; and he scripted this play, which ran on Broadway in 2015, starring Bruce Willis and Laurie Metcalf. Though other scripts have circulated, Goldman's attracted Newport's attention as it holds faithfully to King's story. "In Bangor, we deeply appreciate Stephen King as a philanthropist and community leader, but above all, he's a writer! No one creates characters, establishes sense of place and builds tension like King. He's the master."

Newport is directing the Penobscot Theatre Company production, assisted by Ben Layman who is also cast in the role of the unlucky sheriff. Regional powerhouses AJ Mooney of Bangor and James Konicek (AEA) of Washington, DC. are playing Annie and Paul. Mooney was last seen on the Penobscot Theatre Company stage in the transformative performance of Estelle in The Full Monty. In addition to his extensive credits at leading theatres in and around the Capitol, Konicek is well known for his voice work. He is featured in the popular video game Fallout 4 and the 2015 documentary Last Days of the Nazis.

To create Annie's world and accomplish the advanced technical feats required of this psychological horror thriller, Newport has assembled a top-notch team including stage manager Adrienne Wells (AEA), Tricia Hobbs (scenic design), Scout Hough (lighting design), Ben Wetzel and Belinda Hobbs (props design), Katie Guzzi (sound design), fight choreographer Angela Bonacasa and special effects expert Eric Anderson.

Show tickets are available online at www.penobscottheatre.org or through the box office, located at 131 Main Street, Bangor; (207) 942-3333.

As a special offering for Stephen King's other Number One Fans, Penobscot Theatre Company will auction three first-edition copies of Misery, the novel, autographed by the author. Each will be auctioned separately, one following the 5:00 pm Opening Night performance, October 14; one following the 3:00 pm performance, October 15; and one following the final performance, 3 pm, November 5. Bidding will start at $250, and the auction will be open to both ticket holders, and members of the public who wish to bid in person. Collectors who are unable to participate in person may place an absentee bid up until Friday, October 13 at 5:00 pm for the first two auctions, and Saturday, November 4 at 5:00pm for the Final Auction. Contact Gerald Winters for details about absentee bidding atgw@geraldwinters.com.

Penobscot Theatre Company is America's Northeastern-most professional, year round theatre company, owners of the historic Bangor Opera House,a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization, producing a wide variety of plays and musicals each season. For a complete list of show times, pricing and more information about the season visit www.penobscottheatre.org.

mae
01-15-2018, 02:09 PM
https://www.broadwayworld.com/des-moines/article/Des-Moines-Playhouse-Presents-MISERY-20180115

The Des Moines Community Playhouse presents the suspense-filled "Misery," Jan. 26-Feb. 11, 2018. Tickets may be purchased online at dmplayhouse.com, by phone at 515-277-6261, or at the Playhouse ticket office, 831 42nd St. "Misery" is sponsored by Edward Jones.

A horrible automobile accident nearly claims best-selling author Paul Sheldon's (Micheal Davenport) life. Luckily, his number one fan, Annie (Preshia Paulding), is there to save him and nurse him. It doesn't take long, however, for Paul to realize he is living a nightmare. Completely at Annie's mercy, he's unsure if he'll make it out alive after all. Based on the novel by Stephen King, "Misery" will have audiences on the edges of their seats.

The Playhouse cast is directed by John Viars. The cast also includes Michael Meacham as Buster.

The Playhouse is one of the oldest and largest community theatres in the US. Located at the 42nd Street exit of I-235, the theatre has presented a full season of shows since 1919 and also offers a wide variety of educational experiences including classes for ages 4 to adult, theatre trips to New York, and volunteer opportunities onstage and backstage.

For more information about the Playhouse and "Misery," contact the Playhouse ticket office at 515-277-6261.

Ticket prices start at $29. To purchase tickets visit dmplayhouse.com or call 515-277-6261.