PDA

View Full Version : Book Collection: MKB

mkb.redux
01-18-2015, 09:20 AM
I've posted some of my items several times in various separate threads, but wanted to start bringing things together and documenting the collection in a single place.

Since some of you know me as one who sells books on eBay as a sideline--when I'm not traveling, and when the Markets are kind--I should start by saying that I see my own collecting, at least in part, as an investment: the collection that I had as a young man allowed me to pay the bills and buy groceries when my wife and I started our family; I hope that what I build now will help my young son get through college, or be part of the down payment on his first house. I love books, but I also love bookselling--I was in that industry for almost 25 years--and I don't think that will ever stop.

Be that as it may, here are a few things that passed through and stayed. I don't have any guiding principles, other than to buy what I love--for whatever reason that I love it--and try and be a good caretaker while the books are in my hands.

mkb.redux
01-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Since these are the King boards, and this the newest item in the collection, let's start here:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/KNOMEOR/carrie-cemetery-dance-edition-by-stephen-king-2127-p_zps6112ae4f.jpg

I had starting collecting the PS series, and hadn't decided whether or not to do the CD as well; something clicked one day and (luckily) I was able to get an order in for the Artist's Edition of CARRIE. I haven't received that one yet--that'll be my next post, as it should be here this week--but picked up a couple of copies of the Gift edition during one of the 50% sales and am very pleased with the book.

Priest
01-18-2015, 01:02 PM
oooooh a new collection - i am very exited ;D
(sorry for highjacking ;D)

Dan
01-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Great start! Would love to see shots of the book shelves.

zelig
01-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Great! Look forward to seeing more of your collection.

jhanic
01-18-2015, 04:36 PM
More pics, please!

John

mkb.redux
01-19-2015, 04:21 AM
Forgot that there was no mail today, and wanted to try and post regularly, so here's a recent addition:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/KNOMEOR/Hill--NOS4A2-Bound-Manuscript--SMALL_zps3243a8ae.jpg

I'd had one of these on consignment back when, and since had only managed to pick up the (black label) ARC. This was part of a red/black set that I bought on eBay earlier this month; the black is signed, but I already have a signed copy of that one, so back on the market it goes.

I still get a bit of extra thrill from collecting proofs, not sure why, and aside from King and a few other exceptions the market is so problematic that it's hard to justify most of them as anything other than an indulgence. A few years back I vowed to give them up, and stick with first editions only, but (obviously) that didn't last. I think Hill has the potential to stay the course, so tucking away a few choice examples.

mkb.redux
01-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Arrived today:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/KNOMEOR/CARRIE-AE_zps12e3b9be.jpg

What a beautiful book, my poor photography skills notwithstanding. Have the next in the series coming as well.

zelig
01-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Looks so good. Mine should be here in a couple days or so...