PDA

View Full Version : New project - but don't hold your breath!

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but it's for collectors by a collector, so Calvin's Corner it is...

Some of you may know that I work in the field of mobility (no not wheelchairs, Jon - Mobile apps and Devices for Enterprise). I was once a developer but in later years I am now more of a Solutions Consultant and don't tend to get my hands 'dirty' anymore. I miss it a little though and in an effort to knock the rust of my skills before they seize up, I have been thinking for a while now about writing an app specifically designed at the SK collector. There's a few collector apps on the apps stores, but they are too generic (and frankly fugly) and not really geared to the King world.

SO...
I've made a start on initial design, (Caveats and Screenshots to follow). Please, please, please feel free to comment (be kind :beat:) about look and feel, but what I really want to hear about are peoples ideas about what YOU would like from such an app (and if there is any interest at all...)

The screens so far are based around info on a particular book, there will be other screens before this to select a specific book, search for a book, etc. I'll post more as I design them.

CAVEATS
1. This is a vanity project. I get excited easily and bored even more so. There are NO guarantees this will ever become reality (although I *really* would like to do this well)

2. Initial app will be iOS (sorry Jerome). I work quicker in XCode and the tools are better. Once completed I do intend to create an Android version. (Windows Phone 8 is a pipe dream, Blackberry - don't even ask.. Bill - that Nokia 6210 ain't gettin it)

3. I'd like to include cloud sourcing in some manner (still thinking about that). It would be great to get the community to provide pricing input - love to hear some ideas

4. Cost - It will be released as a signed limited edition @$4000 :evil:

5. (4) is a lie. If I can get it on the app store it will be free. I don't need donations or funding as I have all the tools and software to hand.

6. Reserved for a caveat I haven't thought of yet

7. Please re-read (1)

thegunslinger41
12-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Sounds Purdy cool.

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 09:40 AM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/6b6753ed-cba8-412b-8a77-0051657e09aa_zps9d3b2b72.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/6b6753ed-cba8-412b-8a77-0051657e09aa_zps9d3b2b72.jpg.html)

This is the main detail screen after choosing a book. The idea is that it shows all info you need as a collector at a glance.

Top right is an icon showing that you have this book (green book mark) it also shows if you have multiple copies (in this case 2). Tapping this will quickly take you to a screen that will allow you to add details of a new copy of the same book (not designed yet). If you dont have th ebook, it will be grey with a '+' sign

Title, publisher, book cover and year are self explanatory.

Icons below are meant to show info on YOUR copy of the book - from left to right they represent:
1. The book is up for sale
2. It is Signed
3. It has a dedication
4. It is dated
5. You are looking to upgrade it

You will be able to filter book based on this (and other) criteria on a main search screen (i.e Show me all books that are signed, or show me all books I am looking to upgrade)

Next line shows edition

the 'dot's indicate more screens - swipe left to view them

Menu bar at the bottom :
My Books - shows this (and other related screens about your copies of this title)
Identifiers - shows publisher info and 1st edition identifiers
Pricing - (hopefully) this will somehow retrieve info on recent book sales
More - place holder for other ideas

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 09:44 AM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/3f058c1c-a5d9-4b5e-8c19-2650ee9d2bbe_zpsb61f7f93.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/3f058c1c-a5d9-4b5e-8c19-2650ee9d2bbe_zpsb61f7f93.jpg.html)

Assume we have swiped left from the previous screen...

This is detail on the book - most things should be clear.

Edit button allows you to modify the entries (text boxes, drop down lists, etc) - screen TBD

Little paper clip icon is a button to view and add photo's of the specific book (Screen TBD)

Icons repeat of previous screen (ah should have mentioned, the icons on main screen will be a summary of all copies of the book - icons on this screen are for this particular copy)

Interested to hear other ideas as to what could be shown here...

EDIT: I have spelt Acquired incorrectly. That's it - forget the whole thing....

Anubis2347
12-19-2014, 09:44 AM
I like it... nice and clean.

Great Start!

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 09:45 AM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/af94cd95-ef03-4012-b123-7bbba5e392cc_zps0c3b5db1.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/af94cd95-ef03-4012-b123-7bbba5e392cc_zps0c3b5db1.jpg.html)

Same as above, but we have swiped left again to show details of the next copy we own. You will be able to keep swiping to see all copies.

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 09:46 AM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/b5c02672-4b47-4112-9079-4c45746299e2_zps7cc128ac.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/b5c02672-4b47-4112-9079-4c45746299e2_zps7cc128ac.jpg.html)

This is the identifiers screen. again interested in seeing what other things people would like to see

Joe315
12-19-2014, 09:47 AM
This looks awesome!

Ricky
12-19-2014, 09:47 AM
That looks really cool. Nice job!

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Swiping left again on the identifiers screen will show different images of the book. At least Cover, back and spine. I'd like to include inner end leaves as well.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/b8ba9e32-cfaa-4b6a-96c0-9ec3d377942c_zpsab65aaca.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/b8ba9e32-cfaa-4b6a-96c0-9ec3d377942c_zpsab65aaca.jpg.html)

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/a402d5d2-10fa-446a-805e-c984db6e37e4_zps65622fd2.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/a402d5d2-10fa-446a-805e-c984db6e37e4_zps65622fd2.jpg.html)

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/2113ada0-a356-43f9-8d9f-deee4cec7d6a_zps8945b37b.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/2113ada0-a356-43f9-8d9f-deee4cec7d6a_zps8945b37b.jpg.html)

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 09:49 AM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/b00d3c66-0972-46ba-b645-71b059566c4d_zps5f5e67fc.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/b00d3c66-0972-46ba-b645-71b059566c4d_zps5f5e67fc.jpg.html)

And pricing. This will be the most difficult to code as it relies on getting this info from somewhere. I have some initial ideas but will need to work on this part.

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 09:51 AM
OK - that's it for now. A happy couple of hours spent this afternoon. I will now sit back and await the criticism and much better ideas than I have had so far...

Seriously - please contribute, I'd love to hear everyones opinion. :Ball Kick: or :grouphug:

racerx45
12-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Looks great and let us know what we can do to keep you from getting bored with this project.

goheat
12-19-2014, 10:38 AM
This looks awesome and professional! Will there be a way to link photos of actual books/signature/etcetera to each record as images, or are you looking at including 'stock' images with app?

SystemCrashOverRide
12-19-2014, 10:54 AM
To expand on "Goheat"'s comment, adding photos of the copies owned would be a nice addition. For example, stock image of US 1st/1st, swiping to the left to go through front/rear/spine, followed by UK 1st/1st also swiping to the left, But on top of that allowing the user to swipe up or down to see images they've added of their own copies. So on any frame (say US 1st cover) you could swipe up and see your own image of the copy you own.

zelig
12-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Love it Simon. I'm in web development and for about a year now I've been brainstorming this web app for SK collectors but haven't found the time to do anything with it. I have some notes on lots of ideas, and would love to share them with you. From what I'm seeing in your screenshots, we're both on the same track here. But at least you've taken some action and got it started. All I have is notes and ideas in my head.

stkmw02
12-19-2014, 11:17 AM
If I post the "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" gif again, I might break it.

:drool:

skyofcrack
12-19-2014, 11:28 AM
I like it. Maybe include lines for signatures/remarques/limited/lettered, etc...

I also think a pic of the copyright page would be nice.

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 11:37 AM
This looks awesome and professional! Will there be a way to link photos of actual books/signature/etcetera to each record as images, or are you looking at including 'stock' images with app?

To expand on "Goheat"'s comment, adding photos of the copies owned would be a nice addition. For example, stock image of US 1st/1st, swiping to the left to go through front/rear/spine, followed by UK 1st/1st also swiping to the left, But on top of that allowing the user to swipe up or down to see images they've added of their own copies. So on any frame (say US 1st cover) you could swipe up and see your own image of the copy you own.

Yes, see post #4.the paper clip button allows you to add as many of your own images as you like. The other pictures are intended to be 'stock' examples for reference if you don't have the book.

Love it Simon. I'm in web development and for about a year now I've been brainstorming this web app for SK collectors but haven't found the time to do anything with it. I have some notes on lots of ideas, and would love to share them with you. From what I'm seeing in your screenshots, we're both on the same track here. But at least you've taken some action and got it started. All I have is notes and ideas in my head.

Awesome! Please feel free to contribute!

I like it. Maybe include lines for signatures/remarques/limited/lettered, etc...

I also think a pic of the copyright page would be nice.

I intend to have a separate entry for each edition - matching the Catalogue on TDT.org
Remarques is a good catch, I will add an icon for that.

Copyright picture is a great idea!

jonp
12-19-2014, 11:45 AM
I would be very interested in that app. It would be very useful to know which books I have ( I now use a spreadsheet with valuations). I have been know to occasionally buy a duplicate book by mistake! If you require photos of any books feel free to pop down to me as you are only a 45 minutes drive down the road.

Randall Flagg
12-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Android first!

SystemCrashOverRide
12-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Android first!

What the big man said.

jhanic
12-19-2014, 12:11 PM
I don't own a cell phone.

John

Randall Flagg
12-19-2014, 12:17 PM

John
Then stay out of the thread.

:nana:

Anubis2347
12-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Really???

These days doctors are giving out cell phones to every newborn... lol

jhanic
12-19-2014, 12:20 PM
What can I say? I'm a dinosaur.

John

zelig

Okay, I'm going to consolidate and go through my notes again and I'll post here. The biggest thing I think, is loading up the entire Justin Woods Bibliography data if that's even a remote possibility. There's a number of reasons/benefits for that which I've written down. I'll try to post asap.

Randall Flagg
Really???

These days doctors are giving out cell phones to every newborn... lol
Actually, if you live in Texas, every newborn gets a cell phone and a handgun.

Randall Flagg
12-19-2014, 12:22 PM

John
John still has a party line (and I bet few people here know what that is/was).

http://www.calliflower.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tin-can-phone.jpg

east-tennessee
12-19-2014, 12:23 PM

John

It's not to late to ask Santa for one..........:biggrin:

zelig
12-19-2014, 12:24 PM

John
John still has a party line (and I bet few people here know what that is/was).

Sometimes I wish those days would come back... The world has changed for sure...

Merlin1958
12-19-2014, 12:27 PM

John

I do, but like Simon says I doubt mine will do any good.

http://www.yummymummyclub.ca/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/old-cell-phone.jpg?itok=qmREn2Ys

How you make this thing go faster??????

Anubis2347
12-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Don't you mean "the world has moved on"

zelig
12-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Yes, changed in the fact that it moved on... sometimes I can't help by feel nostalgia and reminisce about the olden times, as Forrest Gump would say... or at least, I think he said that.

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 01:10 PM

Okay, I'm going to consolidate and go through my notes again and I'll post here. The biggest thing I think, is loading up the entire Justin Woods Bibliography data if that's even a remote possibility. There's a number of reasons/benefits for that which I've written down. I'll try to post asap.

I've considered that (and to be honest a modern version of the SK Collector CD was my driving force for this, the personal collector side of it was meant to be an add-on) but I think the copyright issues would just bog the project down.
This app is trying to avoid all that by using info that is public domain.

zelig
12-19-2014, 01:13 PM

I've considered that (and to be honest a modern version of the SK Collector CD was my driving force for this, the personal collector side of it was meant to be an add-on) but I think the copyright issues would just bog the project down.
This app is trying to avoid all that by using info that is public domain.

Okay, as long as there's some base 'bibliography'. I find myself consulting that book often to see what I still need in my collection. So if we had access to data like that, even if it's crowd sourced or public domain, would be nice to have it at our fingertips... Just a though of course... I know all this is open to discussion...

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 01:16 PM
What would you like to see?

Synopsis of the book?
List of characters ?
Links with other books?
Something else?

biomieg
12-19-2014, 01:37 PM
I love it. Will the basic bibliographic info (ISBN, 1st/1st identifiers and such) be accessible from a built-in database or do we enter that info ourselves?

racerx45
12-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Android first!

I would vote for this too

Randall Flagg
12-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Android first!

Me too! Bonus rep points if Android first.

biomieg
12-19-2014, 01:43 PM
I would be happy to create a basic bibliography (i.e., containing only editions that are relevant to collectors, not every appearance/obscure state known to man) and other lists of pertinent info like first edition identifiers. I like making lists.

Randall Flagg
12-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Just advertise TheDarkTower.org and you might be able to use our Catalog for reference. No since reinventing the wheel.

skyofcrack
12-19-2014, 02:49 PM
I would be happy to create a basic bibliography (i.e., containing only editions that are relevant to collectors, not every appearance/obscure state known to man) and other lists of pertinent info like first edition identifiers. I like making lists.

I'm the same way. I have lists going back to when I was a teenager just starting my King collection. I recently found out that my dad's the same way and kept track of everything. I currently have a word document for what I call my Complete Stephen King Chronology and it's at over 13,500 words at the moment.

Merlin1958
12-19-2014, 03:12 PM
For the record, I bought my wife a "Samsung/Galaxy 6"? for Xmas with a "Tablet"? I figure if she doesn't pitch it out the window in three months I may get one after all. LOL LOL

P.S. My daughter picked it out and advised. She's also wrapping it.

zelig
12-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Simon I had a quick look over my notes and here's some items. I tried not to duplicate what you already show in your screenshots as many were the same as what I had down. It's all just stream of consciousness brainstorming so feel free to classify any of these as complete rubbish... Or maybe some are helpful.

Also, I use this app alot which should provide some ideas: BookBuddy (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bookbuddy-pro-book-library/id395149950?mt=8)

Build a want list by checking off books from the database that you want.
Users can list books they want to sell or trade.
Match want lists against the 'want to sell/trade' list.
Links to what's available on Abe/Ebay, etc. for each single book with pricing so don't have to manually search those sites.
Seller/buyer feedback
With an existing bibliographic database, it's easy to add books to your inventory so Title/ISBN lookup.
In some cases I've seen ISBN's that don't accurately depict the actual book, like some reprints use the same ISBN as the original release.
"My Collection" view with images
Price guide based on past sales
With the wealth of knowledge amongst collectors, ability for users to add/update core database, much like Wikipedia.
Make your collection public or private. Public view means other users can browse through your collection.
User commenting on single book pages for public collections.

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 04:49 PM
I love it. Will the basic bibliographic info (ISBN, 1st/1st identifiers and such) be accessible from a built-in database or do we enter that info ourselves?

All 'standard info' will be pre-populated to a local database (and available even when off line)
All user entered data will also be stored and available offline

Android first!

hmm, I *could* use a different development tool and build them at the same time form a single code source. Without getting into too much technical detail, my company has a development tool that allows this. The downside is I might be limited in what I can achieve around charts for the pricing as well as other areas of getting the price info from a central source.

How important do members feel the current pricing functionality is? I could build a first prototype without this and get it out on both platforms much quicker if its not included to begin with.

Just advertise TheDarkTower.org and you might be able to use our Catalog for reference. No since reinventing the wheel.

I will certainly reference and credit TDT.org if I use any of the info found on the Catalog, but I would prefer it is presented in the format shown above for ease of reference.

stroppygoblin
12-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Simon I had a quick look over my notes and here's some items. I tried not to duplicate what you already show in your screenshots as many were the same as what I had down. It's all just stream of consciousness brainstorming so feel free to classify any of these as complete rubbish... Or maybe some are helpful.

Also, I use this app alot which should provide some ideas: BookBuddy (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bookbuddy-pro-book-library/id395149950?mt=8)

Build a want list by checking off books from the database that you want.
Users can list books they want to sell or trade.
Match want lists against the 'want to sell/trade' list.
Links to what's available on Abe/Ebay, etc. for each single book with pricing so don't have to manually search those sites.
Seller/buyer feedback
With an existing bibliographic database, it's easy to add books to your inventory so Title/ISBN lookup.
In some cases I've seen ISBN's that don't accurately depict the actual book, like some reprints use the same ISBN as the original release.
"My Collection" view with images
Price guide based on past sales
With the wealth of knowledge amongst collectors, ability for users to add/update core database, much like Wikipedia.
Make your collection public or private. Public view means other users can browse through your collection.
User commenting on single book pages for public collections.

Paul, lots of good stuff there, but a lot of it is around sharing of the data that gets entered into the app. This requires some thought as it means a central repository of data somewhere. That then leads to hosting, maintenance, someone having to keep it up and running etc. My plan was to have ALL the books info stored in the app. As a new book is released I would do an app update for users to get that info.

Users will be free to add a non standard book to their collection (Rose Madder prototype cover for example) but that would remain local to them.

One other possibility is somehow sharing the info peer to peer, but I don't know how feasible that is.

The Library Policeman
12-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Simon, I'm a total technophobe but I do have an iphone and this is a GREAT idea!!

zelig
12-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Makes sense Simon. Most of what I had jotted down you seem to have already had covered. Either way, it's for sure an app I would use. I'm happy to offer my help in any areas if need be.

sentinel
12-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Simon, love the idea. I'm an I-phone owner and would use it. Would it be adaptable to I-pad?

east-tennessee
12-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Simon, I would love to have an app to view and add entries of my collection:coo3l: Keep up the good work.

Brian......

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-20-2014, 12:50 AM
Android first!

I have personal Windows 8 and work Blackberry. Is that points off?

skyofcrack
12-20-2014, 01:11 AM
I still have a flip phone with NO camera! http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/smilies/eek.gif

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 04:39 AM
Simon, love the idea. I'm an I-phone owner and would use it. Would it be adaptable to I-pad?

Yes. Whether it will have iPad specific features is TBD.

Android first!

I have personal Windows 8 and work Blackberry. Is that points off?

As stated in the 1st post, Windows Phone 8 and Blackberry versions are almost certainly not going to happen, it's just too much work for 1 person.

It's the equivalent of writing a Novel in German, then writing it again in Italian, ensuring the grammar and flow of the story are correct for a native speaker to read it, then doing it again in French and once more in Japanese...

I know there are members who would like to see Android first, but in all honesty it will slow me down. I can work MUCH quicker in iOS and iron out all the design and functionality on that platform and then have a good solid foundation to transpose it into Android.

I'm still considering the "write once, deploy many" approach to build the prototype and get user testing and feedback - this will be the fastest development route as it is the one I am most familiar with, but it will have limitations.

Br!an
12-20-2014, 05:18 AM
I like it!

Since some of the books have multiple states of the 1st/1st there should be some way to indicate this.

Randall Flagg
12-20-2014, 05:24 AM
I was kidding when asking for android first or simultaneously. If it's quicker, do the ios first, then android adaptation.

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 08:41 AM
I was kidding when asking for android first or simultaneously. If it's quicker, do the ios first, then android adaptation.

Ok - good. :thumbsup:

Still interested in members ideas about pricing, how useful it would be, sources of pricing data, etc

zelig
12-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Still interested in members ideas about pricing, how useful it would be, sources of pricing data, etc

I think pricing will be very useful. It helps with buying decisions and perhaps to "value" your collection.

For sources, I'd say initially:

eBay completed sales
Abe (but I think this will have to be for sale prices as I don't think you can see completed sales on Abe).
User generated (What do the 'experts' value the book at. Especially rarer items that you may not see too much for sale. Would require users to take the time to update pricing tables. For example, you may have your proof/ARC expert who could update a table with what they feel are fair current market prices.
The Collector? I don't know where/how Thomas determines his pricing data, but I find myself frequently looking at his site for an idea on what's a fair price.

bdwyer19
12-20-2014, 10:11 AM

I think pricing will be very useful. It helps with buying decisions and perhaps to "value" your collection.

For sources, I'd say initially:

eBay completed sales
Abe (but I think this will have to be for sale prices as I don't think you can see completed sales on Abe).
User generated (What do the 'experts' value the book at. Especially rarer items that you may not see too much for sale. Would require users to take the time to update pricing tables. For example, you may have your proof/ARC expert who could update a table with what they feel are fair current market prices.
The Collector? I don't know where/how Thomas determines his pricing data, but I find myself frequently looking at his site for an idea on what's a fair price.

Agree 100%. This would be a great feature.

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 10:35 AM
I believe Tomas updates his prices manually.
The current for sale items he gets from eBay and Abe. I've been looking into this and both have web API's that can be interrogated.

If Tomas is reading this, I'd love to get his input on this.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning to having prices as v2 functionality. I think getting the main database and personal collection capability should be the extent of V1

Randall Flagg
12-20-2014, 11:09 AM
The more I think about it, the more I am leaning to having prices as v2 functionality. I think getting the main database and personal collection capability should be the extent of V1
I agree.

Meagan J
12-20-2014, 11:43 AM
This is a GREAT idea! I have been needing something just like this. For me I would use this most while out checking second hand book stores, thrift stores, etc. So having information on different states of dust jackets or release info on variations would be SOO helpful. For example, if I'm in a book store and I find a Rose Madder first edition. I know that I already have a first edition but to have at my fingertips which variation I already have would be incredibly helpful. I, too have bought duplicates before and passed on books that I wished I had gotten because I just couldn't remember. So info on variations, dust jacket states (with pics for clarity), us & uk firsts would be appreciated. I have an iphone (I hate apple and steve jobs, but I get mine for free) so if you release this I will be snagging it up quickly. I don't know if you had this already, sorry if I missed it, but a small area for personal notes on each release might be nice. I know this is a big enough task as is, but having the option to add other authors that are popular with this crowd would be nice. Thank you!:)

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Completed some more mockups tonight. First up is the splash screen. I have deliberately put ZERO effort into this as I'd like some designs from everyone else :) Feel free to change the app name to something better as well. Over to you! Bear in mind that the splash screen will need to be sizeable to cover a variety of screen sizes...

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/08d9352a-267c-424d-be69-82dd6444fb69_zps9f5cbd69.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/08d9352a-267c-424d-be69-82dd6444fb69_zps9f5cbd69.jpg.html)

Merlin1958
12-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Perhaps, "Stephen King, My Collection"????? Looks great and now I want a "smart phone"!!! LOL LOL

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 05:47 PM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/5374819f-9ca1-489f-b60f-4d1f08f5c603_zpsd4880585.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/5374819f-9ca1-489f-b60f-4d1f08f5c603_zpsd4880585.jpg.html)

This is the main list screen. By default it will show all books. Functionality:

The top menu button will slide in a filter menu (see next screen).
The check box shows you have a copy, a cross means you are missing this book in your collection and then we have an indicator if you have multiple copies (these icons will probably change)
Obviously the list scrolls to see more books
The bottom menu bar allows sorting (ascending or descending) currently I have by Title, By Year and by original price - more ideas for sorting appreciated.

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 05:51 PM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/147c8b68-f192-42dc-aa30-c09bf8c780ae_zps6ee5b808.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/147c8b68-f192-42dc-aa30-c09bf8c780ae_zps6ee5b808.jpg.html)

This shows the result of pressing the top menu button - the menu slides in from the left.

Selecting an option allows the list to be filtered to books that match.
If no filters are selected - all books appear in the list
Filters are cumulative, so Selecting US Books, Limited Editions will show all US Limited Ediitons.
The bottom Icons are further filters based on your books, so you can filter by signed and For Sale, etc. again these filters are cumulative with the others. ("Show me all UK Signed books that I have for sale")
Note I have added an icon for "Remarqued"

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 05:53 PM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/46f814b3-841d-41f7-8a50-8146f0b0fc2e_zps82b1350a.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/46f814b3-841d-41f7-8a50-8146f0b0fc2e_zps82b1350a.jpg.html)

Another option on the list screen. Sliding a specific row to the right will show the icons denoting your edition of the book. Slide left to display normally or tap the row to open the book detail.

Merlin1958
12-20-2014, 05:55 PM
I am obviously quite the neophyte on this subject, but is info regarding "How to identify a First Edition" included? If not, that may be worthwhile. Especially, if you find yourself in a used book store. Pardon my ignorance if this has already been covered. "Remarques" is a really nice touch.

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Thats it for tonight - heading for bed... :o

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 05:57 PM
I am obviously quite the neophyte on this subject, but is info regarding "How to identify a First Edition" included? If not, that may be worthwhile. Especially, if you find yourself in a used book store. Pardon my ignorance if this has already been covered. "Remarques" is a really nice touch.

Yes - See Post #7 :)

stroppygoblin
12-20-2014, 05:58 PM
hmm - just looking at those screenshots - the blue on the dark background looks bad - I'll probably make the icons white. Colour schemes are subject to change!!

Merlin1958
12-20-2014, 05:58 PM

Yes - See Post #7 :)

Oops, very sorry. FWIW you may have inspired me to upgrade to a new phone. LOL LOL

zelig
12-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Hey Simon. It's looking really sweet. Amazing work so far...

So you asked for some input on the splash screen design. I mocked this up this evening. Of course, just an idea, and open to hacking up or trashing... and the size is likely not correct but I can easily change to whatever size you need.

I had to squish the books a little to get them all in... but anyway, like I said, just an idea. :smile:

Edit: Of course, this limits the app to SK collecting only.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/splash_zps1b063e51.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/iphone_sk_zps82549b82.jpg

skyofcrack
12-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Simon, I really like how this is looking so far. Great work. It's inspiring me also to dump my DumbPhone and get a SmartPhone.

You may already have this implemented but I'd like to see the list search by books that are missing so if you're out looking you can quickly see by date or by title all the ones you still need.

Also, I see you spelled The Shining as The Shinning. Was that an honest mistake or a reference to The Simpsons? :lol:

Maybe include Other International Books as a category.

Edit: I tried to fit all the books.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/screen_sk_zps33759b2a.jpg~original

stroppygoblin
12-21-2014, 05:17 AM
Hey Simon. It's looking really sweet. Amazing work so far...

So you asked for some input on the splash screen design. I mocked this up this evening. Of course, just an idea, and open to hacking up or trashing... and the size is likely not correct but I can easily change to whatever size you need.

I had to squish the books a little to get them all in... but anyway, like I said, just an idea. :smile:

Edit: Of course, this limits the app to SK collecting only.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/splash_zps1b063e51.jpg

Firstly - Love the name, I am going with this until the unlikely event that someone produces something better! It also has the added advantage of NOT being used as the title for another book. I like the font too - (Please confirm the font name you used - looks like Hoefler with enlarged capitals and a modified K)

I DO like the idea of the covers as the background, however I foresee it causing some issues.

1. I will need a splash screen for a multitude of different devices, Android has a multitude of variations and with the advent of iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad Mini, they all require scaling to different resolutions and this will distort the book images.
2. It's a snapshot of 'Now' as new books come along, I would have to redo the image to include them (or not include them which will 'date' the app)

A better approach (IMHO) would be some sort of central image or logo. or a plain bordered image (The border can be enlarged or reduced depending on device).

stroppygoblin
12-21-2014, 05:30 AM
A couple of people have mentioned other authors. Blanket statement - This is going to be Stephen King ONLY. I'm sorry if that disappoints some collectors but I need to draw the line somewhere. My reasoning is as follows:

1. The SK canon of works is unique, not just in scale of content but also it's collectibility. Very few authors have a collecting fan base that rivals that of King. How many authors do you know where you collect ALL the variant covers of their first editions? Proof copies, remarqued editions? A lot of this app would not be applicable
2. It adds work and complexity. I would have to add sorting and filtering to allow specific authors to be searched and shown. I would also have to allow a user to NOT show other works
3. It adds size. With one author, there is a finite number of books and even if you add multiple images of each book, it's going to be manageable. Adding an unlimited amount of authors will impact on the app size, loading times, search times, etc
4. It's a little selfish, but I ONLY collect King - I want this to be a *KING* app.

My exception to this will possibly be the inclusion of other authors who have written books about King and his work - I expect this to be phase II or beyond. Ultimately I would like it to match the Catalog of TDT.org - if it's listed there it will be in the app.

stroppygoblin
12-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Also, I see you spelled The Shining as The Shinning. Was that an honest mistake or a reference to The Simpsons? :lol:

Fixed :doh:

stroppygoblin
12-21-2014, 05:48 AM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Collector%20App/d956dc40-540a-4f66-abd9-4301574b8a24_zps469fc546.png (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Collector%20App/d956dc40-540a-4f66-abd9-4301574b8a24_zps469fc546.png.html)

Updated the screen based on some feedback.

I have added the option to list either as "All Books" or "Missing Books" - the remaining filters can then be applied to reduce the list to specific titles.

I added "Other International Books" - Caveat: for the pre-installed list of books, this will be limited to those editions that are regarded as either unique 'collectibles' or the true world first ('ES' or 'Nebal' for instance).

'd like to add functionality so users can import their own book data - separate (but still searchable) from the main canon of works. This has it's own complexities and will be included in a later release.

Randall Flagg
12-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Background:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/stephen_king_cartoon.jpg

If not, could the background be a rotating/random changing image of 1 King book cover?

One more author please-Richard Bachman.

stroppygoblin
12-21-2014, 05:54 AM
Background:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/stephen_king_cartoon.jpg

If not, could the background be a rotating/random changing image of 1 King book cover?

One more author please-Richard Bachman.

Splash screens are fixed images - cant really change them on the fly.
Bachman is catered for (see #78 - menu option "Include Bachmans")

Isn't there a copyright issue with this image?

Randall Flagg
12-21-2014, 06:04 AM
The artist allowed the image for use on the site. I suppose he would have to grant you permission. If he could be contacted, I think he would say yes. If not, I bet Darek Kocurek would make something custom.

stroppygoblin
12-21-2014, 06:07 AM
The artist allowed the image for use on the site. I suppose he would have to grant you permission. If he could be contacted, I think he would say yes. If not, I bet Darek Kocurek would make something custom.

Now THATS a hell of an idea! Any members who have close contacts with SK artists please fell free to get them on board!

Randall Flagg
12-21-2014, 06:11 AM

Now THATS a hell of an idea! Any members who have close contacts with SK artists please fell free to get them on board!
Do we want to solicit multiple images from different artists? Perhaps then choose what is best. Suggestions for image:

Original art.
Iconic of Stephen King.
Portrait shape.
No text on image.

skyofcrack
12-21-2014, 06:17 AM
How about this image?

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/sk_poster_app_zps1dafd7a4.jpg~original

Room 217 Caretaker
12-21-2014, 06:54 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/Book_Collector_Idea.PNG

stroppygoblin
12-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Keep 'em coming guys - once we have all contributions we can have a poll to vote. Maybe we can even get Members vs Artists!

(we need an icon too, if you don't want to do a full splash screen)

Randall Flagg
12-21-2014, 07:43 AM
Keep 'em coming guys - once we have all contributions we can have a poll to vote. Maybe we can even get Members vs Artists!

(we need an icon too, if you don't want to do a full splash screen)
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419176596-21a1f214095078b04808d5df1cd432d40dcb1445.jpg

Room 217 Caretaker
12-21-2014, 07:58 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/Book_Collector_Idea.PNG

Not my final entry. Playing with fonts, wording, etc.

Mulleins

zelig
12-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Firstly - Love the name, I am going with this until the unlikely event that someone produces something better! It also has the added advantage of NOT being used as the title for another book. I like the font too - (Please confirm the font name you used - looks like Hoefler with enlarged capitals and a modified K)

Hey Simon. So the font I used is called "OptimusPrincepsSemiBold". There's no additional manipulation of the font. This set will have larger letters when you use ALL CAPS. So even though the rest of the letters are technically lowercase, they all show uppercase. But with the first letters entered as uppercase, they appear larger.

And I also do like the idea of an artist coming up with an image. My only feedback on that idea is that for it to work well, I feel it will need a filter layer on top of the image to darken it slightly. That way we can put the app name on top of that.

If this ends up with a decision to not put the app name on the image, then it's a moot point, but if it does, I'd be more than happy to work on the design with the artwork in Photoshop and come up with something.

Randall Flagg
12-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Darek Kocurek contacted me today. Unrelated to this project, but I did ask him if he wanted to help. Hopefully I correctly stated our needs in a manner that translates well (English to Polish). I asked for:

A splash screen image. It needs to be in portrait format, preferably a darker shade image, and Iconic of Stephen King. Either a book cover done in your own style, or an original image of Stephen King's face.
A square icon that would be used as the small application image on a smartphone.

skyofcrack
12-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Possible icon pics:

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/sk_icon_zpsd8aa9d0b.jpg~original http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/sk_house_icon_zpsb248de37.jpg~original

Randall Flagg
12-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Possible icon pics:

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/sk_icon_zpsd8aa9d0b.jpg~original http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/sk_house_icon_zpsb248de37.jpg~original
Copyright issues?

Randall Flagg
12-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I love this image, but Ernesto Priego seems tough to contact.

https://myreadingwritingblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/stephen_king.jpg

zelig
12-21-2014, 02:34 PM
That's a really nice picture. Never seen it before.

stroppygoblin
12-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Re icon. Photo's or photorealistic images do not make great app icons. Simple and identifiable that's what makes a good icon.

Basic test, if it still looks good in black and white (NOT greyscale) it's a good icon

herbertwest
12-22-2014, 01:17 AM
Remember that the icon is an icon, therefore small, and consequently the picture must be recosignable.
What's the actual size needed?

stroppygoblin
12-22-2014, 01:32 AM
Remember that the icon is an icon, therefore small, and consequently the picture must be recosignable.
What's the actual size needed?

iOS:
180 x 180
120 x 120
120 x 120
152 x 152
76 x 76

Android:
48 x 48
72 x 72
96 x96
144 x 144
192 x192

This is why bitmap or photo images make bad icons. It needs to be clean and simple and preferably done as a vector image that can be scaled without losing quality.

herbertwest
12-22-2014, 03:04 AM
The KA logo would be sympbolically clearer... but then it is probably copyrighted by King's publisher / office
http://www.arruda.blog.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/220px-Ka_symbol.svg_.png

skyofcrack
12-22-2014, 04:49 AM
Back to the basics.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/SKcr_zps44124cb9.jpg~original

stroppygoblin
12-22-2014, 04:57 AM
Back to the basics.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/SKcr_zps44124cb9.jpg~original

Yes, that's the approach I was thinking too. SK initials.

stkmw02
12-22-2014, 05:03 AM
I like that SK constant reader!!

I'll give you this tip: my friend works for Netflix and was responsible for switching from the white on red to the red on white icon for phones and tablets. There was ridiculous research involved that suggested the white on red was too similar to YouTube and users would sometimes select the wrong app at a glance. You want something that you don't have to read/look at closely to identify the app. For that reason, I suggest you consider something REALLY simple for the icon image.

This is incredible and I am SO looking forward to using it! I've struggled with cataloging my King collection on shelfari, in word documents, etc. It will be incredibly nice to store it this way. And will we have the option to share our collections (I may have missed if it was already discussed) so next year's Secret Santa will be even more interesting? :evil:

skyofcrack
12-22-2014, 05:03 AM
Back to the basics.

Yes, that's the approach I was thinking too. SK initials.

Or, something like this:

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s323/skyofcrack/stephen_king/MySK_zpsd109179f.jpg~original

stroppygoblin
12-22-2014, 05:28 AM
I like that SK constant reader!!

I'll give you this tip: my friend works for Netflix and was responsible for switching from the white on red to the red on white icon for phones and tablets. There was ridiculous research involved that suggested the white on red was too similar to YouTube and users would sometimes select the wrong app at a glance. You want something that you don't have to read/look at closely to identify the app. For that reason, I suggest you consider something REALLY simple for the icon image.

This is incredible and I am SO looking forward to using it! I've struggled with cataloging my King collection on shelfari, in word documents, etc. It will be incredibly nice to store it this way. And will we have the option to share our collections (I may have missed if it was already discussed) so next year's Secret Santa will be even more interesting? :evil:

Sharing is a future possibility. It requires central storage, syncing of data, etc. If i tried to deal with this now, nothing will ever get built.

Randall Flagg
12-22-2014, 06:02 AM
I like the Ka sign. We could have Chadbournne draw one for us with his own slight twist. I think that would be CR safe. We could also have Chadbourne draw a Pennywise. Something like this would be very iconic:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419256917-how-to-draw-pennywise-pennywise-pennywise-the-clown_1_000000009675_5.jpg

Room 217 Caretaker
12-22-2014, 08:07 AM
I decided to visit The Closet (Room 217) for inspiration. After spending quality time during my visit it hit me that my collection covers several authors, not just King. Therefore I decided to make my entry geared more towards a Book Tracker idea instead of directed at collecting just King.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Book_Tracker_Screenshot.PNG

herbertwest
12-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Stupid question, but what about doing a poll regarding :
- if people here would be interested
- what OS they have?

stroppygoblin
12-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Stupid question, but what about doing a poll regarding :
- if people here would be interested
- what OS they have?

Be my guest...

But it's being built in iOS and then Android :)

Randall Flagg
12-22-2014, 09:42 AM
I contacted Ray Russotto and he granted permission for us to use his King caricature. We can put it in for consideration.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419270579-Presentation1.jpg

Not sure the small version would work as an icon.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419270292-stephen_king_cartoon%20small.jpg

stroppygoblin
12-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Cool!

Randall Flagg
12-22-2014, 09:51 AM
I redid the pic in my post. It may not be chosen, but at least we have permission to use it.

Merlin1958
12-22-2014, 09:58 AM
I contacted Ray Russotto and he granted permission for us to use his King caricature. We can put it in for consideration.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419270579-Presentation1.jpg

Not sure the small version would work as an icon.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419270292-stephen_king_cartoon%20small.jpg

This seems like an excellent idea. Ties into the catalog as well obviously and says what you want to say regarding it being specific to, King. Ralph makes a good point as to it being generic to overall collecting. Glad I don't have to choose!!

stkmw02
12-22-2014, 10:33 AM
I love that drawing of King. I've always wanted a resin figure like that. Unrelated, I know.

Randall Flagg
12-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Icons:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419273596-book_icon.png

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419273603-bookIcon.png

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419273609-books-icon.png

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419273615-icon_book.png

herbertwest
12-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Na. This could work for iBooks, Kindle and any other apps.

Merlin1958
12-22-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm a total "Noob" when it comes to this stuff, but I would suppose that if it caught on you could make the icon "SK specific" and another more "My Collection" specific, no? I apologize in advance if this seems like a silly idea. I only have the most rudimentary understanding of this stuff.

Funny too, in that I used to own a top flight Telecom Co. and was always up to the minute on technology, until I retired. Sadly, I have aged ten fold since then in regard to "Tech". I am now the equivilant of a 150 year old when it comes to technology. Merlin IV is 2+ years old and he already plays with a smart phone!!! LOL

Randall Flagg
12-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Na. This could work for iBooks, Kindle and any other apps.
It would say "King Books" underneath, or something else succinct. Do you have better images? Please share.

stroppygoblin
12-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Icons:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419273596-book_icon.png

I'm working on a similar icon with 'S' and 'K' on each of the open pages. I'll post it when done.

I decided to actually fire up Xcode and write something - VERY early days, but work HAS BEGUN!

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/ScreenShot2014-12-23at005741_zps0c2a5d78.png (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/ScreenShot2014-12-23at005741_zps0c2a5d78.png.html)

zelig
12-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Exciting! I'm here cheering you on!

Roseannebarr
12-30-2014, 09:59 PM
After reviewing all the threads, not very carefully, it is midnight after all......

did you say I could mark which first editions I have flat signed?

Can I record if I have duplicate copies and how many? I currently have 12 unsigned revivals. 8 dr sleep, stupid random signature grab bag events!

Will this include my sk paperback collection? Used bookstores love me, because I don't remember what I already bought!

My porno collection? Sk first appearances in adult magazines?

My red leather library collection? I never surf the net at work, but if I did this would come in handy!

sorry if this has already been covered.

stroppygoblin
02-17-2015, 02:54 AM
to those that are interested....

I posted about some app ideas in another thread and realized I hadn't updated this one in a while (It was all the way back on page 4! :scared:)

This project is very much alive and I am working on it whenever my work schedule allows. Since posting that WIP screenshot it I have been pretty busy (and the slipcase project was a little distracting too :)). After a couple of abortive attempts where I was just playing with UI, I finally got round to seriously thinking how this whole app and the updating of the underlying data would work. If you have no interest in how the mechanics of this are put together and just "want a frickin app where I can track my books right now!" then feel free to go and read something more interesting, I'll let you know when its done.

so here is my plan.

1. All data used by the app will be structured as JSON data (if you don't know what JSON is then look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON) - it's basically a structured file that is readable by software applications).
2. I plan to have multiple data files. So far I have identified the following:
a) All US 1st Editions
b) All UK 1st Editions
c) All Bachman Books
d) All US Signed Limiteds
e) All UK Signed Limiteds
f) All US Gift Editions
g) All UK Gift Editions
h All proofs

Why all the separate files? Well the idea is that different people collect different things and may not want a huge amount of data to constantly sort through, filter, search, etc. When you open the app for the first time, you will have the opportunity to select which books you want to track and only those files will be downloaded and stored by the app. If at a later date you start collecting say, proofs, then you can just go back and tick that box and voila now you have the data for proofs!

It also means I can add to the files as new books are released (the app will be notified when there is a new version of the file and will download the updates).
Potentially I will be able to add whole new files as well, so for those of you that collect other non UK or US editions (or maybe paperbacks or Red Library editions to answer RosanneBarr's question), you should be able to create a file and send it to me for inclusion. I also have plans to include books about King as a separate file as well.

The files will be stored on a server in the cloud.JSON files are tiny so download will be fast. I will also store all of the book images in my cloud storage as well. By default All you will get is the small book cover that you see in the list and the overview. You will be able to tick a setting to also have the larger book images (Cover, back, spine, left inner DJ
, Right Inner DJ and CP page) downloaded as well. This is obviously for people who are concerned with space on their device.

To be clear, this data is only downloaded once, from that point it is all stored locally on the device, so it will work even when you have no data connection.

I am working on getting certain features working fully before moving on to the next piece of functionality, this (very roughly) breaks down into:

1. Define the JSON structure (basically done, but will undoubtably change as I think of new things to add)
2. Proof the mechanism to download separate files and associated images (done)
3. Create the main book list and detail screen to show info for each book (80%)
4. Create the screens to show the cover Images (50%)
5. Add the filters to the Book list
6. Add the menu option to search and filter
Phase 1 complete. At this point I will have a fully working 'Catalog app' - this could be released for testing I'm not sure yet

Phase 2 is adding the functionality to add details of your own books. You will be able to add data on each copy you have as well as info on price paid, date acquired, condition, etc. (see screenshots posted earlier).

Phase 3 is just adding more functionality. I'd like to link to ebay, where you can see what copies of a particular book title are currently on sale (this would open up ebay on your device browser and pre-filter by key words). The idea of tracking signings for a book is a great one and I hope to include that. Pricing info was part of the original spec, but as there is no central source, it's difficult to know how that would work.

So there you have it folks, I'm pretty committed to getting this built. (at the very least in iOS). I plan to make it work on both iPhone and then iPad. Android will hopefully follow at the end of phase 2. If anyone has (or knows someone) with Android Development skills - get 'em on board! I am happy to share designs, thoughts, etc to get the Android version built in parallel!

Oh one more thing.... (see what I did there? RIP Steve Jobs :))
Creating these JSON files is gonna be a lot of work. Also the various Book Cover Images need to be created in a consistent size and manner. I'm hoping that the wider community will be able to help by taking responsibility for a set of books (maybe 20 or so) and physically typing in the required information. You wont need to know anything about JSON or programming, I will create a spreadsheet that you just need to populate. I will then take everybody's files and create the JSON from that. Let me know if you are willing to volunteer.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-17-2015, 04:13 AM
a) All US 1st Editions
b) All UK 1st Editions
c) All Bachman Books
f) All US Gift Editions
g) All UK Gift Editions
h All proofs

Yeah! Who want's that foreign language shit anyway :)

stroppygoblin
02-17-2015, 04:44 AM
a) All US 1st Editions
b) All UK 1st Editions
c) All Bachman Books
f) All US Gift Editions
g) All UK Gift Editions
h All proofs

Yeah! Who want's that foreign language shit anyway :)

LOL! Foreign editions WILL be supported - but I won't necessarily be creating the file data! (US and UK is more than enough work right now :panic:))

biomieg
02-17-2015, 05:44 AM
I'd be happy to help out. Great stuff!

Randall Flagg
02-17-2015, 05:55 AM
I'll help. Hoping of course an Android app will appear down the road.

dnemec
02-17-2015, 06:00 AM
Ummm...apparently I was too busy running around the eastern coast of the US and entertaining annoying relatives in late December to see this thread, but I LOVE IT!!!!! For years, I have been carrying a print-out of "Identifying 1st Editions" from King's website and more recently have begun carrying spreadsheets including information on what I own. It's a pain in the ass, to say the least! I am a technological nitwit, but I'll gladly volunteer to help gather info.

And Simon, you are awesome just for attempting this!!!!!!!!

jsweet
02-17-2015, 06:57 AM
This sounds like a great idea. Happy to help out however I can.

zelig
02-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Happy to see it's still on track... You can count me in to help Simon.

jonp
02-17-2015, 10:02 AM
This sounds great Simon, I am happy to help in any way.

wolfehr
02-17-2015, 11:22 AM
I like the Ka sign. We could have Chadbournne draw one for us with his own slight twist. I think that would be CR safe. We could also have Chadbourne draw a Pennywise. Something like this would be very iconic:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1419256917-how-to-draw-pennywise-pennywise-pennywise-the-clown_1_000000009675_5.jpg

I'd never be able to install the app if that Pennywise icon was used; I'd be afraid to unlock my phone! I fully support the Ka sign with a twist though.

AstroDad
02-17-2015, 01:21 PM
I wasn't around when this thread started, so I am glad you bumped it. I love the idea and what you have so far sounds great

Count me in for helping with the data entry if you'd like.

wolfehr
02-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Count me in for helping with the data entry if you'd like.

+1 Feel free to count me in too!

stroppygoblin
02-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all the offers of help on data entry folks. There is a small but willing team already started on this for the first editions. Once I get over this first hurdle I can open the floodgates and we can start work on the limited stuff.

stroppygoblin
02-22-2015, 03:40 PM
I don't plan on making regular updates on this but since I had a huge amount of frustration over this and it's FINALLY working I thought I'd post some progress...

As mentioned previously, the data for the app will be stored in the cloud as JSON files. JSON is a great format for defining data and is both easily read by humans and machines. It's not however the simplest and friendliest way to actually enter the data. (especially if multiple people are working on it). So I created an Excel spreadsheet and have had a few members working on populating it with first edition data (US and UK). I then dusted off my Visual Basic for applications code skills and wrote some code for Excel that at the press of a button, converts the spreadsheet into separate JSON data files - one for each collection.

I thought this would be pretty simple, but it turned out to be a royal PITA! JSON is a fairly simple (but particular) format and if it's not 100% correct it will not be readable. What was giving me pain was that my JSON file was passing all the online formatting tests, but would NOT be read by the application code, it kept getting rejected. Long story short it turned out to be various 'invisible' control characters hidden in the Excel cell text (that had been cut and pasted by me from various web sites). A bit more code to clean this up and 2 late nights further on and it's now working as expected.

The beauty of the JSON format is that it can be consumed by pretty much anything, so even if my app never sees the light of day (which I hope won’t be the case) the collected data can be used by someone else to build an app, a web page, anything they like. I hope it will be a useful resource beyond my app to others.

If you want to see what this looks like, here is a link to the current US firsts file (http://www.masonserver.webspace.virginmedia.com/skcollectorjson/USFirstEditions.json):

Merlin1958
02-22-2015, 06:28 PM
I need a translator!!! LOL LOL LOL I still have a "Flip Phone" that I think is really cool!! LOL LOL

BTW Simon, it's spelled "JASON" I thought you spoke "English"!! LOL :P

Joka42
02-23-2015, 09:58 AM
the app dont suport OS/X Apple SO, right? nice app

stroppygoblin
02-23-2015, 10:33 AM
the app dont suport OS/X Apple SO, right? nice app

It will be a mobile app only. Initially iOS and then Android.

stroppygoblin
03-11-2015, 05:09 AM
UPDATE!!!

Here is a video of some Work In Progress. Most of the Phase I functionality is now complete. I need to do some work on the initial setting screens where you select the data you wish to include (which file sets, whether to include the higher res cover images, etc)

http://youtu.be/enDE9hiFU-I

Still LOADS to do :( but the core is now there. I will be moving on to the "My Books" part of the app where you can record all the books you own and all of those little icons will start being operational.

I have had some help with collating book data so far and a big thanks to those that have been involved (you know who you are! :thumbsup:) but what I really need is a good source of high res cover images. Not just the front but spine, back, inner leaves and copyright page. Any volunteers ? (please... :unsure:)

Feedback and comments always welcome :scared:

biomieg
03-11-2015, 06:12 AM
Awesome :) I haven't had the chance to get any work done since the last time we talked about it. What is your deadline for the book data work? These days I seem to need deadlines if I want to get anything done...

zelig
03-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Looks great!

stroppygoblin
03-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Awesome :) I haven't had the chance to get any work done since the last time we talked about it. What is your deadline for the book data work? These days I seem to need deadlines if I want to get anything done...

Yesterday. :evil:

Actually in all seriousness I can cover the rest of the UK trades. Where I need more support is around information for the more limited books and quality cover scans for everything.

All the book data is automated now from the spreadsheet, so it can be worked on over time without impacting anything else I do. I have already proved the sorting and filtering and have enough test data to finish the actual app.

Randall Flagg
03-11-2015, 11:15 AM
I think quite a few of the US Trade firsts in our Catalog have front, spine and rear scans. The images for front and back are ~400wx600h. I would think that when reduced to a cell phone app they would suffice. I spent quite a bit of time scanning. Unfortunately I did not scan the dj flaps.

EDIT:
The images for the Catalog have been reduced. The actual scans are usually ~630x950 for front and rear, and 140x950 for the spine.

stroppygoblin
03-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks RF - the images for the U.S. firsts are a pretty good set and will be my 'default' for now. The UK and signed limiteds are less consistent however and it would be good to eventually get a complete set of all aspects of the DJ's plus CP page.

This part of the project is more of a long run than the main sprint and the app has been designed to update as new pictures become available.

Randall Flagg
03-11-2015, 12:03 PM
S/L's, and lettered stuff will be a challenge to scan front, spine, back, traycase/slipcase etc. Many are oversized and people understandably are reticent to splay the book open to scan a CR page. Since you can add pages, perhaps parameters to the volunteers on the most important initial icon.

stroppygoblin
03-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Im just adding the functionality to add details on your own books. There is a discussion regarding categories of condition. I was planning to go with:

Fine
Near Fine
Very Good
Good
Fair
Poor

But I'm open to adding more values if required. There will be separate fields for condition of book, Dust Jacket and (where applicable) Case

AstroDad
03-16-2015, 04:29 PM
Would it be helpful to have a grade of "Unopened" or "In Shrink"? Or perhaps that would be better left to the notes? I think still in shrink wrap is common enough that perhaps a check box or other way to designate it would be nice.

Joe315
03-16-2015, 04:46 PM
How about an As New for books still shrink wrapped.

Rahfa
03-16-2015, 05:00 PM

But it's not "as new" because the old shrinkwrap might stick to the dustjacket.

That's why condition is so dependant on pictures and description.

Joe315
03-16-2015, 10:46 PM

But it's not "as new" because the old shrinkwrap might stick to the dustjacket.

That's why condition is so dependant on pictures and description.

That's true. Maybe it is best just to have a notes section for things like this.

dnemec
03-17-2015, 04:19 AM
Joe 315 has a good point.

I currently keep spreadsheets with my books listed. Instead of having a column for condition, I have one marked "issue?" That way, I can note what's wrong and make a determination later if I am out somewhere and see a book. I.e. remainder mark, faded dustjacket, price-clipped, etc.

stroppygoblin
03-17-2015, 04:49 AM
This will be your notes on your books, so you can put what you like in there. I think I will add 'Price clipped' as a setting however as thats quite an important thing to track.
I think I will also add 'shrink wrapped' as a separate setting as well.

CRinVA
03-18-2015, 04:43 AM
Some books can be shrink wrapped after the fact as its not that hard to do - I take almost no consideration in Shrink Wrapped. And if I buy a brand new book that is shrink wrapped I ALWAYS take the shrink wrap off!

JMHO

:-)

stroppygoblin
03-18-2015, 04:57 PM
fuckin Table View Controllers. :pullhair:

(thats all I have to say on that)

Randall Flagg
03-18-2015, 06:10 PM

Apple sucks.

Merlin1958
03-18-2015, 06:49 PM

Apple sucks.

IMHO Apple is the "Evil Empire"!!!!! And I don't know squat technology wise!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzntZLHcYy0

Jimimck
03-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Wow. Just at found this thread. A fantastic idea and I love the commitment to the project. I'm about a month too late but would have volunteered to help with data entry if required. I'm sorry I don't have any lettered or many s/l's to take photos of either.

What's involved in submitting the app and it being accepted by Apple for their App Store? Is there anyway we here can help have it selected by showing our support/petition etc?

stroppygoblin
03-20-2015, 09:02 AM
Wow. Just at found this thread. A fantastic idea and I love the commitment to the project. I'm about a month too late but would have volunteered to help with data entry if required. I'm sorry I don't have any lettered or many s/l's to take photos of either.

What's involved in submitting the app and it being accepted by Apple for their App Store? Is there anyway we here can help have it selected by showing our support/petition etc?

Hi James - never too late to join in the 'fun'
I have enough test data to work with right now, but in the very near future I am going to need a lot more - especially around photos/scans of covers.

With regard to submitting the app, I need to check the T's & C's but I dont think there is anything in it that would have Apple reject it. Once I have finished coding I will be testing and probably pick some 'volunteers' to try it out. This will require me to actually go out and buy my own developer licence for $99 (I can use my corporate one for personal testing, but nothing beyond that). Once it's tested, it will be submitted and fingers X'd ! Then I will start work on the Android version! :scared:

dnemec
03-20-2015, 09:07 AM
You just amaze me, Simon. I am a technological nitwit. :P

Theli
03-20-2015, 10:28 PM
Some books can be shrink wrapped after the fact as its not that hard to do - I take almost no consideration in Shrink Wrapped. And if I buy a brand new book that is shrink wrapped I ALWAYS take the shrink wrap off!

JMHO

:-)

I'm with you, unless the book is new (like straight from the distributor), I'd rather it not have shrink wrap on it. It doesn't mean it's mint because it hasn't been opened, the older the book in shrink wrap the more likely it will be to be damaged. Heat causes shrink wrap to, you guessed it, shrink! Then you end up with bent corners and damaged slipcases. Like you said, you can always easily put new shrink wrap on something too. I would never pay a dime extra for a shrink wrapped book.

stroppygoblin
03-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Question (mainly aimed at non US members)...

I have 2 data fields that are money based. One is Price Paid and the other is Estimated Market Value. Does anyone have a problem in these being in US$? I could add another field for each that denotes currency but it seems to me that we all generally deal in $ whenever we discuss prices. In addition, I plan to do some sort of reports or analytics on total value of books, etc and mixing currencies would be really problematic.

What does everyone think?

zelig
03-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Sounds okay to me.

Jimimck
03-25-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm in NZ and agree USD is what I think of when valuing my collection/deciding what to pay etc.

I don't know if there is any benefit in having the ability to add in my own local currency or not. I personally would be fine with it in USD only.

That being said, what about the UK releases? I might be handy to be able to record if I paid £200 for the UK s/l of a publication...

Randall Flagg
03-25-2015, 06:22 PM
US dollars. The Dollar (weak or strong) is still the international benchmark.

Br!an
03-26-2015, 03:35 AM
US dollars is the way to go.

I do like the idea of being able to enter the actual currency used to purchase the book though.

stroppygoblin
04-02-2015, 04:27 PM
New big update soon.. (too tired to make a video right now) :evil:

Sir_Boomme
04-03-2015, 06:18 PM

Apple sucks.

Dayum!

don't be diss'n on my bread and butter now....

Randall Flagg
04-03-2015, 06:20 PM

Apple sucks.

Dayum!

I like Fuji's I just hate Apple...

Sir_Boomme
04-03-2015, 08:29 PM

Apple sucks.

Dayum!

I like Fuji's I just hate Apple...

you know I design chips for Apple... right?

stroppygoblin
04-04-2015, 12:45 AM
K

you know I design chips for Apple... right?

Terry, you just went from super cool to Uber Cool in my book!

stroppygoblin
04-07-2015, 04:49 PM
New big update soon.. (too tired to make a video right now) :evil:

Hopefully will put up a video in the next day or two - just got some refresh bugs to iron out...

stroppygoblin
04-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Apologies for the delay - work and real life getting in the way of what's important again...

Lots of new stuff added:

Ability to choose what Catalogs to download
Ability to download Larger book images or not
Can now add details of your own books (multiple copies)
Can add photo's of own books
Filter based on own book settings (for sale, signed, remarqued, etc)
Stats page!
About screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb8oLH1o2TE

zelig
04-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Watched the video. That looks so good Simon! I really like the stats screen.

Jimimck
04-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Just loving it all so far. Can't wait to download and use

Merlin1958
04-17-2015, 07:36 PM
That's really impressive, Simon!!! You may have inspired me to get one of these. So, how do I make this thing go faster? LOL LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-355kMZxUN4

Couldn't find the exact sketch, but hopefully you get the idea.

Truly though, an awesome job!!!

Br!an
04-18-2015, 03:52 AM
Very nice!
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAkGBxMHBhMIBxEQFBAXGRUbFxcXFBcYFBsXFRcXGh0ZHx UYHiggGCYmGxUVITEhJykrMjovGiAzODU0Nyg5NSwBCgoKDg0O GhAQGC0mHyQtLywtLSs3LCwsLyw1NS8vLCstNywuNywuLywwNC w0LS0sLDIsLDQrLC8sLC8uLCw3LP/AABEIAMIBAwMBEQACEQEDEQH/xAAbAAEAAgMBAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAABQYDBAcCAf/EAD4QAAIBAgIEBw4FBQEAAAAAAAABAgMEBREGITFxEjJBUWGRs RMUFiI0NVNykqGywtHiQlKBwfAVM2JzgiP/xAAaAQEAAgMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgUBAwYE/8QANhEBAAECAwMJBwQDAQEAAAAAAAECAwQRMQUSwRUhQWNxgaG x4RMyMzRDUZEiYdHwI1Jy8RT/2gAMAwEAAhEDEQA/AO4gAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA17+57z tJXHBcuDyLf/ABmm/d9lbmvLPIl7tq6uaEa1LiyWaJ27lNymKqdJGUmAAAAA0qeIKpi crKmm+Cs5S5E9Wr3nmpxNNV6bURpHPPBjNunpZAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAfJRU4uMlmntMTETGUiDwiTw3EZ4XV4r8am 3zPk/nKnzlZhJmxenD1aa0/x/ftKMc3Mlrm8p2vlE4x6G9fVtPfcv27fv1RCWbQqaRUIvxZSe6L/fI8s7Tw8dMz3SxnDxHSWg3r7ov+foyMbUsfv+DebVDGaFd5Qqx T/yzj8WRvt42xXpXHfzeZnD3il6rGxlcas/w9Lez6/oSxN+LNqa/wAdpMsGA2TtbTulb+7N8KTe3XsXv62zVgbE27e9V71XPJCTPay AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAwXl3Cyo91uHkve3zJcpqvX qLVO9XIp2LYs7+vGcI8BRz4LT8fX0rcc7isZN6qJiMstPuhM5o 5vN5vaePXnYfAAADJTrOm4681FpqL1xzXQTprqpy/ac8ugXDCcchfNUqviVObke5/sdDhcfRe/TPNV59icSlj3sgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYL26jZWzr1 ti62+RI1Xr1Nqia6ugUW/vZX9w61d7lyJcyOXv3671e9V/wCNeb7Z4fUvU5W0HJLa80luzbFrD3buc0U55GTXnFwm4TTTWpp 7c0apiaZykeTAAANu3w2rc0HXoU248+rXlzJ63+hvt4W9cp36a c4Zyamx5o0MLdo7i/fce9bl/wDolqf5kv3R0Gz8b7X/AB1+9Hj6pRKcLNIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFO0nvu+L3v eD8SHvly9WzrOe2lf37m5GlPn/AHihMoYrWE3gmNxw+2dCtGTWbaccuXkee4ssHj6bFE0VR+GYnJ F3tx33dyuGsuE88jw3rntbk1/dhgNYAALBhmkMbSwVCpCTlHPLLLJ7+b3lthtpU2rUUVU88aJRK BqT7pUc5bW2+sqqp3pmZ6UX2jVdGqqtJ5STzT6UZpqmiqKqdYH QLG5V5aRuIfiXU+VdeZ1lm7F23FcdLYzm0AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAHitU7lRlUlsSb6lmRrqimmap6BzmcnObnPa2297OPmZ qnOdZa3wwAAAAAAAAAC1aIV+FazoP8LTW6S+sX1l7sm5nRVR9p 80qVgLZIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABiubmFrT4dxJRXS/wCZmu5dotxnXOQ1aGMULip3OnUWfSnH4kjTbxtiucqaufvjzYz hs3lHvi0nRzy4UZLPmzWWZuvUe0t1UZ5ZxMMq74ML08fY+4p+S es8PVHdPBhenj7H3DknrPD1N08GF6ePsfcOSes8PU3TwYXp4+x 9w5J6zw9TdPBhenj7H3DknrPD1N08GF6ePsfcOSes8PU3TwYXp 4+x9w5J6zw9TdPBhenj7H3DknrPD1N08GF6ePsfcOSes8PU3Tw YXp4+x9w5J6zw9TdSWCYV/Tak5Kop8JLZHLLLPpfOe3B4P/55md7PP+/dmIyb91eQtIcK5morkz2vctrPVdvW7UZ1zkyw2uLUbqfc6FROX M04t7uElma7WMs3Jypq5/x5sZt09LIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKFjF27zEJTm9SbUVzJPL37T lcXem7dmZ6OaOxCWkeZhasKu3c6PVY1Xm4Rms+dcHNfT9C9wt6 q5hK4q6ImPBKNFUyKHKETIZQGQygMhlAZDKAyGUBkMoDIZQGQy gMhlAsmh3iyrPoh85cbIyia+7ilSg726le3Lr1dr2dC5EVl69N 2ua56fL7IsBrF5wC7d5hsZ1XnJZxb58uXqyOnwN6btmJq10ThI nsZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADnNx5RL1pdrOPue/V2y1sZAWHAfMlzul8Bb4H5a73+SUaK8VCIAAAAAAAAAAWLRLi1 90PnLfZP1O7ilSrq2FPGiIZFv0S82P132ROh2V8HvnglSmyySA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADnNx5RL1pdrOPue/V2y1sZAWHAfMlzul8Bb4H5a73+SUaK8VCIAAAAAAAAAAWLRLi1 90PnLfZP1O7ilSrq2FPGiIZFv0S82P132ROh2V8Ge2eCdKbLJk AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOc3HlEvWl2s4+579XbLWxkBYcB8yXO6Xw Fvgflrvf5JRorxUIgAAAAAAAAABYtEuLX3Q+ct9k/U7uKVKurYU8aIhkW/RLzY/XfZE6HZXwZ7Z4J0pssmQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA5zceUS9aXazj7 nv1dstbGQFhwHzJc7pfAW+B+Wu9/klGivFQiAAAAAAAAAAFi0S4tfdD5y32T9Tu4pUq6thTxoiGRb9 EvNj9d9kTodlfBntngnSmyyZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADnNx5RL1p drOPue/V2y1sZAWHAfMlzul8Bb4H5a73+SUaK8VCIAAAAAAAAAAWLRLi1 90PnLfZP1O7ilSrq2FPGiIZFv0S82P132ROh2V8HvngnSmyyZA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACk49h0rO7lVSfc5NtPkWevJ8xzWOw1Vq5N WX6Z58+CEwjIRdSahTTbexLW+o8URNU5Rqwt1lYOwwCrGrx5Rm 30eLqXUjoLOHmzhaoq1mJmfwnlzKgc8gAAAAAAAAAAFj0N41bd D5y42RrX3cUqUTi2HSw64cZJ8BvxZcjXNnzngxWGqsV5Tp0SxM ZNWlTdaoqdFOUnsS2nnopmud2mM5YXrB7PvCwjRlxtblvf8y/Q6nCWPY2opnXpThunpZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD41msmB4p0Y0nn TjFbkl2EaaKadIGPEVnh9VL8k/hZDEc9qrsnyJc9ORawAAAAAAAAAAsmhvGrf8AHzlxsjWvu4pUr LKKkuDJJoupiJ1SeadKNL+1GK3JLsMU0U06RkPZIAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAfGs1kwKZiuCTtKzlbxlKnyZLNroa2/qc3isBctVTNEZ0/t0ITCO72n+Sfsv6Hj9lc/1n8SwxEAA9wpSqLOnGT3JvsJU0VVaRMj13tP8k/Zf0M+yuf6z+JGIgAHuFKVRZ04ya6E32Eooqq0iZGajYVa8+BSp zb9Vpdb1I2UYe7XOUUyZLlguHf0607nJpzeuT5M+ZbjosHhvYW 8umdU4jJvnrZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA5vPjvezjatZ a3kwLZof5DP1/liX2yfhVdvCEqU8WqTmpxjWAW3RDzdP/Y/hgX+yfhVf9cITpTpaMgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN5 8d72cbVrLW8mBbND/IZ+v8sS+2T8Krt4QlSni1Sc1OMawC26Iebp/7H8MC/wBk/Cq/64QnSnS0ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOb1VwarT25vt OOrjKqY/dreSItmiCysJv/ADfwxL7ZMf4qu3hCVKeLVJzZrgvgvacZMZc0tb4BbtEVlhsm+W b+GP0L/ZMTFme3hCdKcLRkAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAruNYA7 iu7myyzeuUXq186ZUYzZ011TXb6dY/hGYR1vo7Wq1MqqUFyttPqUXr9x47ezL9U/qjKP79mMpWyytY2dsqFHYutvlZfWbVNqiKKdITZzaK5jOj7rV3 cWWWb1uL1a+dPp5inxmzprqmu106x/CMw0LbRytVqZVkoR5W2m/0Sev3Hkt7MvVT+rmj8+TG6tlpbRtLeNCjxV17+sv7Vqm1RFFOk JsxsAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA/9k=

dnemec
04-18-2015, 05:46 AM
Very nice, Simon! Keep going!!!!!!!!!!!! :excited:

Randall Flagg
04-18-2015, 06:51 AM
I saw a box for artist signed... is there one for author signed?

stroppygoblin
04-18-2015, 06:58 AM
I saw a box for artist signed... is there one for author signed?

Yes, One of the main 6 icons denotes author FLAT signed. These icons allow filtering, so "Show me all the books that are Flatsigned by SK" I felt this was potentially something important to filter on. Note I distinguish Flat Signed from Signed Limited (which of course can be also flat signed!). Also the stats page combines both so you get a true count of qty of books with SK signatures.

So to be clear:

Artist Signed is just a property and cannot be filtered on.
Highlighted Pencil Icon means Author Flatsigned and can be filtered on
Signed Numbered or Lettered Editions can be filtered on
No of SK Sigs = Flatsigned + Numbered + Lettered.

If there is a type of book that is not in the Signed Limited or Signed Lettered Catalogues but is signed from the publisher (ie NOT flat signed) please let me know

FYI - these are the icons which can be set for a book you own:
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/Screen%20Shot%202015-04-18%20at%203.59.27%20PM_zpslc7lvmcu.png (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/Screen%20Shot%202015-04-18%20at%203.59.27%20PM_zpslc7lvmcu.png.html)

From left to right they denote:

Book is for Sale
Book is Flat Signed
Book has a dedication
Book is Dated
Book has a remarque
Book requires an upgrade

dnemec
04-18-2015, 08:47 AM
I like the option to note that it needs upgraded. Wow, Simon, you have been thorough!

AstroDad
06-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Thought of this today and had missed the video being posted. Very nice Simon! My excel spreadsheet is begging for this app to be available lol.

stroppygoblin
06-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Hi all, just a note to say this hasn't died at all, just not really been able to focus on it much due to ill health. The iOS app is pretty complete ( I showed it to Br!an and Barlow when we met and got good feedback) and just needs some tweaks before I can submit it to Apple. Part of those tweaks will be to make it run correctly on iPad as well.

Android is the next big thing. That's going to be a bit of a learning curve as I've not done much direct Android coding, so it's going to take time. Don't expect anything soon!

Jimimck
06-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the update Simon. Looking forward to downloading this.

Merlin1958
06-07-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm not very "Tech" wise, but from what I can see you have created a killer app. Go get them, Simon!!!

André Linoge
08-08-2015, 05:29 AM
Stumbled across this for the first time-- a great idea, and excellent work, Simon!

Very much looking forward to downloading this, as well!

Sir_Boomme
08-08-2015, 07:39 AM
cool...almost makes me wish I had a cell phone to use it...almost.

let me know when the PC version comes out.

couple of things... couldn't tell, but can you copy all fields from one book to the other... so if you have multiple copies in the same condition, basically same info... you don't have to re-enter the info for each... just copy from a different book and change only what is different? That would speed up the data entry.

I know that would be a help with established collections... entering all data for all my books would take me weeks if not months unless I was able to duplicate the fields easily.

also.. saw some typos... "assistance" on the screen below.... and without is one word.
Might want to have someone double spell/grammar/typo check all before marketing it.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/552/20407953131_2990794887.jpg

Cwalker
08-08-2015, 07:49 AM
Will you be incuding variants? Ie: Insomnia cover red/white vs white/red, or The Tommyknockers red vs. gold? I know as a newbie collector i was suprised and confused when i realized that some 1st ed had different covers.

stroppygoblin
08-08-2015, 04:19 PM
cool...almost makes me wish I had a cell phone to use it...almost.

let me know when the PC version comes out.

couple of things... couldn't tell, but can you copy all fields from one book to the other... so if you have multiple copies in the same condition, basically same info... you don't have to re-enter the info for each... just copy from a different book and change only what is different? That would speed up the data entry.

I know that would be a help with established collections... entering all data for all my books would take me weeks if not months unless I was able to duplicate the fields easily.

also.. saw some typos... "assistance" on the screen below.... and without is one word.
Might want to have someone double spell/grammar/typo check all before marketing it.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/552/20407953131_2990794887.jpg

A PC version is highly unlikely at this stage. Re the spelling mistakes, that screenshot was taken about 20 seconds after I typed it! The errors have been fixed since then :)
I really like the idea of copying info, I will get that implemented.

Will you be incuding variants? Ie: Insomnia cover red/white vs white/red, or The Tommyknockers red vs. gold? I know as a newbie collector i was suprised and confused when i realized that some 1st ed had different covers.

I think the best way to implement this would be to include the variant in the data file as a completely different book and then have a boolean (yes/no) field called isVariant. There will be an option on the filter screen called "Show Variants". setting this would show all variant books in the main list. Doing it this way (treating it as a book in its own right) means that you can track your own (possibly multiple) copies of it.

bdwyer19
08-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Simon, when do you anticipate the app being ready?

stroppygoblin
08-09-2015, 02:11 AM

on the 19th....

Note I don't specify Month or Year!

Seriously though, it will be done when it's done. I put in some long and very late hours when I first started it and juggling with the day job of also working at a computer *may* have contributed to my headaches and high Blood pressure problems, so I havent really touched it since my recovery. The iOS app is pretty much fully working. You can view any book data file and add your own books including images, etc. Basic stats are also working. It's by no means 'bullet proof' and probably wouldn't pass Apple's appstore review process. I also need to complete at least the US first edition catalog file with all images (covers, spine, etc) and would like to have other files created as well.

Android has NOT been properly started yet, although I have begun to 'play' with Android Studio and learning how the apps are put together (so VERY different to iOS :( )

I am toying with the idea of releasing an (Alpha) test version of the iOS app so that I can get real user feedback. *warning* You would need to actually test the app and provide feedback, accept the fact that this could wipe your device (highly unlikely) and that any data you spend hours entering could be wiped at a moments notice (more likely). Serious testers only should apply. I would prefer people with actual software testing experience if possible. PM me if interested.

Cwalker
08-09-2015, 06:37 AM
My only other question at the moment would be what version Ios would be required. Once my wife got her shiny new Ipad Air, i inherited her old Ipad 1 which maxed out at version 5.1.1. I hope this might be enough!

Thanks
Chris

Jimimck
08-09-2015, 06:35 PM
I haven't had any experience testing software before, so may not be what you looking for Simon, but I have owned an iphone since they came out in 2007. Use it ALL THE TIME.

Also, I am going to apologise in advnace for this question as it is not related to SImon's awesome project, but I didn't know ehere else I may find a suitable auidiance who could provide some opinions...

Has anyone here recently jumped ship from a PC set up at home to iMac? After using PC for nearly 30 years i am about to buy an iMac fr my home desktop and am nervous about moving away from the PC platform. What tips/advice could people give me who have gone through this before?

Simon, have you always been an Apple man? or did you once belong to the PC world?

zelig
08-09-2015, 07:42 PM
James you're making a wise decision moving to Mac. I've been involved with computers my whole life. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX 81. It plugged into the TV and had no hard drive. Look it up. It's from the very early days of personal computers. Then after than I got an Apple IIe. But then I was basically with Windows for probably around 25+ years.

Then I think it was about 2010 that I switched to Mac. All I can say is that in all my years in front of a computer, and the majority of those years on Windows, the Mac is exceptional. The best computing experience I know of.

Making the switch wasn't easy at first. So be forewarned. A lot is different. But if you stick through it, it will be worth it. I believe apple has a help guide somewhere to help with the learning curve. Feel free to PM me if any specific questions come up.

Jimimck
08-09-2015, 09:39 PM
James you're making a wise decision moving to Mac. I've been involved with computers my whole life. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX 81. It plugged into the TV and had no hard drive. Look it up. It's from the very early days of personal computers. Then after than I got an Apple IIe. But then I was basically with Windows for probably around 25+ years.

Then I think it was about 2010 that I switched to Mac. All I can say is that in all my years in front of a computer, and the majority of those years on Windows, the Mac is exceptional. The best computing experience I know of.

Making the switch wasn't easy at first. So be forewarned. A lot is different. But if you stick through it, it will be worth it. I believe apple has a help guide somewhere to help with the learning curve. Feel free to PM me if any specific questions come up.

Thanks Paul. This post is the first on the new mac. I just finished unpacking it and setting it up. Have to say i have never enjoyed opening and setting up a computer as much as i just have! evening the packaging was delicate and refined.

stroppygoblin
08-10-2015, 01:01 AM
I haven't had any experience testing software before, so may not be what you looking for Simon, but I have owned an iphone since they came out in 2007. Use it ALL THE TIME.

Also, I am going to apologise in advnace for this question as it is not related to SImon's awesome project, but I didn't know ehere else I may find a suitable auidiance who could provide some opinions...

Has anyone here recently jumped ship from a PC set up at home to iMac? After using PC for nearly 30 years i am about to buy an iMac fr my home desktop and am nervous about moving away from the PC platform. What tips/advice could people give me who have gone through this before?

Simon, have you always been an Apple man? or did you once belong to the PC world?

Hi James. Just to 'One up' Paul, MY first home computer was a ZX80 :evil: only 1K RAM! I then went through Commodore's (Vic-20, C64, C128, Amiga), Atari ST, Memotech, Dragon 32, ZX Spectrum, pretty much all the 8 bit computers I could lay my hands on until finally I got a PC. It was 25 years of Microsoft and Windows until I got my 1st Mac. Up until then I was a poster child for MS and very much belittled the 'fancy Mac and it's closed operating system that had no software'.

Approx 5 years ago I started working for a company that built mobile applications for multiple devices, including Iphone, this meant I HAD to use a Mac, (see that closed OS comment above!) There was a little bit of a learning curve (you WILL keep going right to close down an app!) and some file management idiosyncrasies that will frustrate the hell out of you (seriously Apple, still no 'Move' option on a file without dragging and dropping?) but after a while, like me, you will never look back. In that period of 5 years, My house is now (except for a couple of servers) almost exclusively Apple hardware, from Ipads, Iphones, Ipods, Apple Routers and Wireless Access points, both my kids have MacBook Airs and I have a MacBook Pro for work and one at home. Once you buy into that whole eco system it really simplifies everything.

There is a new OS upgrade coming soon ('El Capitan') that will certainly help with your transition from Windows (especially if you are used to 'anchoring' apps to one side of the screen or the other. I have been Beta testing it for a while and it works well.

zelig
08-10-2015, 07:13 AM
Wow, Simon you have me beat there. That's a lot of the early personal computers you went through! I skipped 'em but do remember many of them.

By the way, to move a file using the keyboard, just copy the file with Command-C and then Option-Command V to paste it where you want, and it will delete the file from the original location. Basically, you end up with the same result as moving it.

stroppygoblin
08-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Wow, Simon you have me beat there. That's a lot of the early personal computers you went through! I skipped 'em but do remember many of them.

By the way, to move a file using the keyboard, just copy the file with Command-C and then Option-Command V to paste it where you want, and it will delete the file from the original location. Basically, you end up with the same result as moving it.

Well F%^$ me! you learn something every day - I never knew about the Option with Command V - thanks Paul!

(Oh and I forgot BBC Model B :) - now That was a home computer!)

zelig
08-10-2015, 08:32 AM
No problem. I have lots of time-saving shortcuts that I can't think of. It's all become automatic in my brain.

I'll tell you that there's an app that was a game changer for me, and if you're not using it, you must. It's incredible. Alfred App (https://www.alfredapp.com/). Be sure to use it with Alfred Workflows. There's a ton out there for almost any application you can think of.

Sir_Boomme
08-10-2015, 12:22 PM

well, I've been a PC user since going to DOS prompt and typing in "win" to start window's 3.0. I have always owned one... I own 3 PC desktops now, plus 2 laptops.

First time I used a Mac was for an autocad class back in 1997... hated it...
Then I DJ'd in a club for 6 years and we used a Mac for the music.... hated it.
Then,when I started designing chips for an unnamed company made of fruit... and you guess it... they strangely use all Macs ....
and I hate it.... though at least we can VNC into a unix based server, and once I'm there I'm comfortable.

yeah... I know... PC's are virus magnets.... but I just like the windows platform better... I guess it's because it's like an old hat that fits me better.

stroppygoblin
08-10-2015, 02:55 PM
I recall typing 'gem' into a Dr Dos prompt before any of that Microsoft stuff got popular :)

The cutting edge of '88....

http://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/gemvdi01.png

Sir_Boomme
08-10-2015, 03:56 PM
I recall typing 'gem' into a Dr Dos prompt before any of that Microsoft stuff got popular :)

yep... I was a DOS wizard back then.... and Basic, Fortran and Cobal programming guru.

remember my first class in Basic with punch cards.

Then it was something cool when Pascal came into play... but it quickly fell victim to C.

Sir_Boomme
08-10-2015, 04:00 PM

http://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/gemvdi01.png

88? I didn't realize they had CD's and DVD's for computers back then?.... I know all I was using were the five and a quarter inch floppies.

remember the dial up modem that one had to set the receiver into the computer to receive and that awful connection noise...?

Jimimck
08-10-2015, 04:25 PM
HA! I remember the old DOS systems before Win 3.1 too. Loved my old C64 and Amiga 500.

Sorry to have diverted your thread Simon, but have enjoyed these posts :lol1:

I'm not being very productive at work right now as I have been thinking about my new mac at home I'm still itching to play with. That and I'm reading a manual for PC users like me that have jumped ship.... Don't tell the boss.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-10-2015, 10:20 PM
This is a Mac user to me...

https://www.inertiaengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Flasher-in-a-mac-001.jpg

bdwyer19
08-11-2015, 10:35 AM

on the 19th....

Note I don't specify Month or Year!

Seriously though, it will be done when it's done. I put in some long and very late hours when I first started it and juggling with the day job of also working at a computer *may* have contributed to my headaches and high Blood pressure problems, so I havent really touched it since my recovery. The iOS app is pretty much fully working. You can view any book data file and add your own books including images, etc. Basic stats are also working. It's by no means 'bullet proof' and probably wouldn't pass Apple's appstore review process. I also need to complete at least the US first edition catalog file with all images (covers, spine, etc) and would like to have other files created as well.

Android has NOT been properly started yet, although I have begun to 'play' with Android Studio and learning how the apps are put together (so VERY different to iOS :( )

I am toying with the idea of releasing an (Alpha) test version of the iOS app so that I can get real user feedback. *warning* You would need to actually test the app and provide feedback, accept the fact that this could wipe your device (highly unlikely) and that any data you spend hours entering could be wiped at a moments notice (more likely). Serious testers only should apply. I would prefer people with actual software testing experience if possible. PM me if interested.

I'd be glad to help out, Simon. I'm a software tester by day, making sure our healthcare system (aka Obamacare) is working. This project sounds much more fun!

Br!an
08-11-2015, 12:39 PM
CD's were invented in '88. Like the man said it was cutting edge.

I was using the five and a quarter floppies too. I had to use one to boot the machine with an Intel 286 processor. I then had to use another to load the application I wanted. Don't forget to save! I remember the 3.5" floppies being a vast improvement. Later I was envious of my co-worker who had the CD and 386 processor in his computer.

Sir_Boomme
08-11-2015, 02:02 PM
CD's were invented in '88. Like the man said it was cutting edge.

I was using the five and a quarter floppies too. I had to use one to boot the machine with an Intel 286 processor. I then had to use another to load the application I wanted. Don't forget to save! I remember the 3.5" floppies being a vast improvement. Later I was envious of my co-worker who had the CD and 386 processor in his computer.

I knew CD's were invented... I had one of the first CD players... a Technics 1x sampling that cost me $2200.00 back in 1983 (real mega bucks in the 80's)
there were only 3-4 music CDs available at the time I purchased my player ... all classical... but I was the only one on the block with one. I still have that player.

I just didn't realize they were incorporated into computers that early.

Sir_Boomme
08-11-2015, 02:16 PM
actually looked this up...

according to tech hive.com, the first computer to ship with a internal cd ROM drive was the Performa 600 made by Apple in 1992.

still much earlier than I knew about.

Sir_Boomme
08-11-2015, 02:19 PM
I think the drastic difference in time between the release of the music CD players and the computer CD players might be the computer's CD's had to be read and writable... while the music ones only had to have the read function. think?

stroppygoblin
08-11-2015, 02:24 PM
That screen shot was probably from an Atari ST which also used Gem

Br!an
08-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Is there an import from Excel feature?

stroppygoblin
08-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Is there an import from Excel feature?

there's one on the "nice to have list" :)
Seriously though, I have thought about that, but it would require a very specific format to work. I suspect most people have their own variations of how they store information. I could define the required format and let people work out how to extract their data to match it I suppose. There is also the problem of matching what your book is called to what my app is expecting, for example - the unique ID for Carrie US First Edition in my app is "carrie_us_tf" this would have to be included in your export for me to match on it.

AstroDad
02-24-2016, 10:28 AM
time for a bi annual update? :innocent:

stroppygoblin
02-24-2016, 04:22 PM
time for a bi annual update? :innocent:

update forthcoming.... :evil:

...watch this space.

stroppygoblin
02-29-2016, 05:22 PM
UPDATE!!!!!

well it's been a while.... (I told you not to hold your breath :evil:) but the project is far from dead. For those that aren't interested in my excuses, just jump to the video below and see the new and improved version. :thumbsup:

SO what happened? why has it taken so long? well about 6 months ago I got pretty ill and spent some time in hospital with high blood pressure and debilitating headaches. I'm ok now, but I tried to limit the amount of time I was staring at a screen, especially at night (which is when I did most of my coding on this). When I did get back to looking at the app, I discovered that Apple had made several updates to the coding language i was using and a LOT of my code no longer worked. I kinda lost interest at that point as there were a lot of problems I still ahd to solve and the thought of having to rewrite everything just to get back to something that worked wasn't appealing.
A couple of months ago, I looked at it again and discovered things weren't really as bad to fix as I thought and it only took a couple of hours to be up and running again. after that it was full steam ahead and I managed to get all of the data file handling sorted as well as making the app a lot more stable. Since then I have been adding more features and basically testing the crap out of it. My biggest concern was that once people start using it and spending time entering all their data, they weren't going tp be too pleased if the app crashed and all that work was lost. I then started thinking about how the user could make a back up of their entered data ( all of the main book data is easily re-downloaded, but user entered data is local to them), so I have now added an Export/Import feature. You can save the generated file to an email or dropbox or whatever data sharing app you choose and then reload it back in again at any time. Speed of data loading has been improved too. Take a look at the video and I'll explain some more of the new functionality below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDK6wk_HVE&feature=youtu.be

stroppygoblin
02-29-2016, 05:35 PM
New Functionality:

Now supports 'Other Authors' This was required for the 'Books about King' data file. I also added some additional filter settings, you can now fine tune your filter to show searches such as "show me all hardback books about king that are lettered editions'

Added Settings screen. You can turn on and off extra search bar capability such as matching on author or artist name as well as the original book name or publisher.

Added ability to scan a barcode and have the list show the scanned book. This was fun as the catalog data usually lists just the ISBN-10 number and most barcodes are ISBN-13. rather than add all the ISBN-13 data as well, I wrote some code that would generate an ISBN-13 from the ISBN-10 value (If your interested this tells you how (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Book_Number) to calculate the check digits and convert)

Added slide left on list screen to quickly add the selected book to 'My Books'

Added copy function so its easy to add multiple copies of books with similar characteristics (that ones for you Terry!)

Added swipe left/swipe right on cover view to quickly get to next and previous books

Added export/import function (still work in progress as haven't resolved what to do with user photos yet)

Added checks before user removes catalog or cover data

Added Insurance value to My Book data. I thought it would be a nice idea if the app could produce a PDF document (that you could email, save to drop box, etc) that would serve as a document for insurance purposes, either in the event of a claim or in order to get a quote for premiums. I would be interested in feedback as to what this report should show and formats, etc

Lots of bug fixes!

stroppygoblin
02-29-2016, 05:42 PM
I'm going to spend some time on the book data files, getting the majority of images uploaded and the information for each book complete. I'll then be looking for some beta testers!
If you have an iOS device and are willing to take on the job, PM me. I would prefer to use people that have some experience in testing software, also there is a small possibility that it may crash your phone (really unlikely) and a higher possibility is that any data you enter may get lost so be prepared to enter stuff more than once.

Oh one more piece of news, I now have someone working on the Android version. They are doing it in their free time as well, so progress wont be quick (hopefully faster than mine!) - I'll keep you updated when I get something to show.

Br!an
02-29-2016, 07:24 PM
Oh one more piece of news, I now have someone working on the Android version. They are doing it in their free time as well, so progress wont be quick (hopefully faster than mine!) - I'll keep you updated when I get something to show.

:rock::clap::thumbsup:

AstroDad
02-29-2016, 07:37 PM
video says it is private?

Randall Flagg
02-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Hate it!
Not android. Hate Apple, not enamored with Starbucks, pretty much all of the devious insidious corporations, locked source stuff. Apple will probably not even allow, or will shortly thereafter kill the app unless you pay them.

stroppygoblin
03-01-2016, 03:15 AM

Should be fixed now - can someone confirm they can view it?

stroppygoblin
03-01-2016, 03:20 AM
Hate it!
Not android. Hate Apple, not enamored with Starbucks, pretty much all of the devious insidious corporations, locked source stuff. Apple will probably not even allow, or will shortly thereafter kill the app unless you pay them.

To be fair to Apple, it was a new language and was going through a lot of revisions, the changes they made were all for the good, it just meant extra work on my part. I quite like a company that's not afraid of pushing forward, even if it means loss of backwards compatibility. If this was Microsoft it would have been completely compatible with everything going back to Visual Basic 1.0 but an absolute mess to work out! Don't get me started on code compatibility and different flavours of Android!

Both companies (Apple and Google) have very different approaches when it comes to putting apps on their app store. Apple is I agree, far more regimented about code standards and app content, but I think that makes for more robust software. Also Apple charges $99 a year but I can put as many apps on the appstore as I like for that $99. Google charges (I think) a one off $25 PER app. For a one off app like this, Google's pricing is more favourable.

jsweet
03-01-2016, 07:39 AM

I can view it now

stroppygoblin
03-01-2016, 07:39 AM

I can view it now

Thanks!

zelig
03-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Video worked now. Nice Simon. It's looking great! I like the barcode scanning. Lots of cool features. I didn't see if you can take and upload your own photos.

stroppygoblin
03-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Video worked now. Nice Simon. It's looking great! I like the barcode scanning. Lots of cool features. I didn't see if you can take and upload your own photos.

Yes you can. That was in the previous video (2:10):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb8oLH1o2TE#t=02m10s

AstroDad
03-01-2016, 01:17 PM
This is looking very impressive Simon, thanks for the work you put into it!

Jimimck
03-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Looks great. Now I just need a time machine to go back and keep track of the data like date purchased and price paid cos not having that in my app will annoy me.

Randall Flagg
04-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Still waiting for my Android version:deadhorse:

Father Cody
04-09-2018, 05:25 AM
Looks great. Now I just need a time machine to go back and keep track of the data like date purchased and price paid cos not having that in my app will annoy me.

Good point! I better keep track of all that for when this thing comes out.

Father Cody
04-09-2018, 05:33 AM
Simon, as you know, mobile app development isn’t in my wheelhouse, but I’d be happy to help with any grunt work involved. And, of course, if there’s anything web dev related, don’t hesitate to holler. :thumbsup: Really looking forward to seeing this app in my phone! :)

stroppygoblin
04-09-2018, 07:21 AM
yeah. this. (I always said don't hold your breath :evil:)

So the app is NOT dead, but it's indefinitely on hold. I got real close to releasing the iOS version, but there were just too many issues with the reliability of getting the data synched for me to even consider getting it approved by Apple. I was promised some help by a friend of a friend on the Android version, but that never really got off the ground.

Time and technology have moved on at a pace and Apple now offer some interesting new technology that opens up possibilities of cloud storage for all the data. In theory All of the initial data could be stored as part of the app cloud data and all of the personal info (your own book details, pictures, etc) would be stored in your own personal iCloud space. Benefits of this are smaller app on the device and you will be able to always have a copy of your own data. There is a third option of 'shared data' between users as well, so I could add functionality such as cloud sourced price info for rare books or possibly even buy/sell/trading. All good stuff, but the reliance on clever things provided by Apple means its harder to have an app that is replicated on Android, plus the fact I'm not an Android developer.

The other big issue is my personal time. I've got a lot of stuff that takes up my time outside of work (much of it already focused around SK and TDT.org!) and finding the time (and energy) to rebuild the app is difficult. I've gone back to it a number of times in the last 18 months, some UI tinkering and other things but it really needs a full overhaul of the main engine code.

One day...

Patrick
04-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the update, Simon. The cloud storage and shared data points are all appealing. When someday comes, I look forward to downloading it onto my iPhone.

Randall Flagg
09-18-2019, 12:38 PM
:deadhorse:

Br!an
09-18-2019, 02:26 PM
:Ball Kick:

Randall Flagg
02-07-2021, 11:36 AM
Any update on this?

stroppygoblin
02-07-2021, 04:39 PM
Any update on this?

No. The Android option never panned out. I do revisit it from time to time, but my original code is really out of date now. It's written in Apple's Swift language which has gone through huge updates over the last few years.

It would probably need a complete rewrite.

Randall Flagg
02-08-2021, 09:09 AM
I'll archive the thread. It can always be restored if something new comes along.