PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Collecting Goals

Randall Flagg
11-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Well, it is that time of the year again.....time to start looking forward to what we will add to our collection in the upcoming year.

My goals:

'Salem's Lot S/L rebound copy (a huge but unlikely bonus would be to have King sign it). If I get it in January, I might take it to the Florida event.
Signed Trade 1st of Finders Keepers.
Signed trade 1st of The Bazaar of bad Dreams.
"Special" editions that I not at liberty to mention at this time.
Travel to additional King events (Already going to Bradenton in January).
Get my copies of Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and The Running Man signed.

webstar1000
11-22-2014, 11:42 AM
My goal will be to get a little more Whelan art. Pick up a Regulators Lettered and S/L... I will be buying much less in 2015 as we are going to be undergoing more renovations at the new house. I also want to have some new shelves built in my King library too next year!

biomieg
11-22-2014, 11:48 AM
My goals are very modest:

trade hardcover editions of newly released books (US editions plus UK editions if I like the cover art);
one or two proofs from my 'most wanted' list, IF they come up for sale (unlikely). UK Skeleton Crew and/or Thinner would be awesome;
a couple of early US and UK paperbacks. A 1st/1st Signet Firestarter is #1 on this list!

mkberger
11-22-2014, 11:51 AM
1. Stay current with signed 1st/1sts of everything released in 2015.
2. THE GUNSLINGER 1st/1st in fine/fine.

Aronstg
11-22-2014, 06:55 PM
My goals will be modest as well.

1. Erin Wells original drawing from IT
2. Start on my doubleday 1st/1st

Lot guy
11-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Well, it is that time of the year again.....time to start looking forward to what we will add to our collection in the upcoming year.

My goals:

'Salem's Lot S/L rebound copy (a huge but unlikely bonus would be to have King sign it). If I get it in January, I might take it to the Florida event.

RF I currently have my page block & prints at binders in Denver, I was expecting to have it back by Christmas but I was told they have to send it to another shop after its bound to install the metal clasps which will total 3 months although halfway through it now I'm still feeling like the time is dragging, curious how long your expecting the binder to take on yours as I thought this seemed like a long time

jsteltor
11-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Grab any CD signed, King books
Other forthcoming signed limiteds
Signed trade editions
Proofs
From a Buick 8 gift edition (at least)
Keep up with CD "DoubleDay Years" editions

skyofcrack
11-23-2014, 05:10 AM
Other than buying all the regular items that come out next year...

1. Get caught up on first appearances of short stories.
2. Get caught up on reading.
3. Get at least five S/L books.

Randall Flagg
11-23-2014, 05:37 AM

My goals:

RF I currently have my page block & prints at binders in Denver, I was expecting to have it back by Christmas but I was told they have to send it to another shop after its bound to install the metal clasps which will total 3 months although halfway through it now I'm still feeling like the time is dragging, curious how long your expecting the binder to take on yours as I thought this seemed like a long time
I'm just trying to get one that was already done bu Stu. I sold mine, but want it back:)

zelig
11-23-2014, 09:45 AM
I spent far more than I'd have liked in 2014, so for 2015 I'll probably just focus on new releases. My S/L collection could use some serious work, but might have to wait for 2016.

ELazansky
11-23-2014, 10:13 AM
The big thing I will probably look for in 2015 is a Carrie 1/1. I have enough s/l editions for now, and any of the ones I don't have like The Stand or Salem's Lot are a bit out of my price range.

RC65
11-23-2014, 09:52 PM
The big thing I will probably look for in 2015 is a Carrie 1/1. I have enough s/l editions for now, and any of the ones I don't have like The Stand or Salem's Lot are a bit out of my price range.

That's my problem as well. I'd love to put down the S/L THE STAND on my 2015 goal list, but I know the price makes it just as unlikely next year as it was this year. :(

stroppygoblin
11-24-2014, 03:35 AM
'Salems Lot 1st/2nd state. If that's all I get in 2015, I will be a happy Goblin.

Patrick
11-28-2014, 10:12 PM
My goal for 2015 is to live vicariously through Jerome.

TrueNorth
11-29-2014, 03:30 AM
More of a wish list, in no particular order:

Firestarter S/L
Christine S/L
DT Vol I, II, III #228
Mr Mercedes signed
Finders Keepers signed

I retired in August and well the hours are GREAT, the pay isn't as good. :emot-roflolmao:

carlosdetweiller
11-29-2014, 04:40 AM
I retired in August and well the hours are GREAT, the pay isn't as good. :emot-roflolmao:

Congratulations! May 2015 is my target date.

TrueNorth
11-29-2014, 05:42 AM
Thanks
Since 1986 I ran a small home business. Still when I come home I think of checking the phone and fax and go... oh ya they are gone....YAHOO!!
"I'm free at last, thank God Almighty, I am free at last".

Topo77
11-29-2014, 06:09 AM
My goals would be to collect the new released signed 1st editions in the category scifi, fantasy and horror but I'm building a new house so I don't know how much books I can afford at this time :cry::cry:

carlosdetweiller
11-29-2014, 06:27 AM
"I'm free at last, thank God Almighty, I am free at last".

I am looking forward to having that feeling. I have spent the majority of the past two days at the hospitals (we have two large ones in Amarillo). But on the bright side I think this will be the last holiday I have to work. The call schedule is in place until I retire in 5/15 and there are no more holidays for me to work. Still several weekends and night calls to go but no more holidays. Getting closer now and it will be a great day when I am no longer electronically tethered to work.

SystemCrashOverRide
11-29-2014, 07:39 AM
I have spent the majority of the past two days at the hospitals (we have two large ones in Amarillo).

Without prying, I hope all is well with you and yours. I hope you have a good holiday season!

carlosdetweiller
11-29-2014, 07:57 AM
I have spent the majority of the past two days at the hospitals (we have two large ones in Amarillo).

Without prying, I hope all is well with you and yours. I hope you have a good holiday season!

Thank you. All is well. I'm a doc and its my job to be at the hospitals.

SystemCrashOverRide
11-29-2014, 09:36 AM

Thank you. All is well. I'm a doc and its my job to be at the hospitals.

Though I wasn't looking for an explanation, that's the best possible response to my concern, aside from perhaps a baby being born.

east-tennessee
11-29-2014, 10:22 PM
My main goal is Bookcases, my collection is spread through several closets in the house.
Also to obtain the new books coming out..(signed).
Oh and a signed Mr Mercedes........:wink:

Brian.

TrueNorth
11-30-2014, 02:54 AM
A buddy/doctor of mine when he retired worked with Doctors without Borders for a few years. He would leave in the winter, and head to a warmer climate. All expenses were covered plus he was paid well. I thought it was a smart way to go and a win-win for everyone.

How do you cut out quotes? When I do it I lose the whiteout. I'll cut out my old quote (in the Go Advanced) and see what happens.

I am looking forward to having that feeling. I have spent the majority of the past two days at the hospitals (we have two large ones in Amarillo). But on the bright side I think this will be the last holiday I have to work. The call schedule is in place until I retire in 5/15 and there are no more holidays for me to work. Still several weekends and night calls to go but no more holidays. Getting closer now and it will be a great day when I am no longer electronically tethered to work.[/QUOTE]

Dan
11-30-2014, 04:56 AM
Make sure you still have the quote and /quote codes before and after the quoted material.

TrueNorth
11-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Make sure.

Thanks Dan, I'll experiment with you!

TrueNorth
11-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Make sure you still have the quote and /quote codes before and after the quoted material.

Easy peasy once you know. Dan is the man!

Ari_Racing
01-02-2015, 02:22 PM
I ended 2014 with these goals missing:

* Revival US Proof
* S/L of Revival (if one is produced)
* Revival 1st USA signed
* Silver Bullet
* One for the road
* The long walk UK 1st
* The running man UK 1st
* The New Lieutenant's rap

Nevertheless it has been a great year. I got 3 of my 2nd Grails list and some books I thought I'd never get. So for 2015 I'll try to increase my targets:

* Revival 1st USA signed
* Silver Bullet
* One for the road
* The long walk UK 1st
* The running man UK 1st

* At least 4 of the 15 1st fiction appearances' magazines I'm missing.
* At least 7 of the 17 1st fiction appearances' books I'm missing.
* At least 2 of the 22 promo items I'm after.
* At least 3 more 1st edition books signed by King.
* At least 1 of these three S/L: Blockade Billy, Cujo & Wizard and Glass
* At least 30 of the 216 magazines I'm missing that include an original non-fiction piece.
* At least 20 of the 82 books I'm missing that include an original non-fiction piece.
* At least 2 of the 166 newspapers I'm missing that include an original non-fiction piece.
* At least 1 of the two Spanish editions I'm missing.

Lookwhoitis
01-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Placeholder for when I have time to formally record my Goals. (there will be more than these two!)

1. Spend Less, Read More
2. Finally complete reading the WHOLE Dark Tower series

zelig
01-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Lookwhoitis, the 1st one is also mine for sure in 2015. Last year I had the same goal, and I may have read more, but I didn't spend less.

Ari, you have some very specific goals there. That's really good. I like the way you are on top of the magazine appearances, etc. That's one thing I've neglected... But let's look forward to you meeting most if not all of those goals...good luck!

One other goal I've added for myself for 2015 is bookcases. I have so many books stored away in boxes and I've wanted to display them for so long now. Well, I'm not going to wait anymore for a new house with a library, I figured out a way to add 6 bookcases to an existing room so a goal is to get the bookcases and unpack the books...

Priest
01-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Nevertheless it has been a great year. I got 3 of my 2nd Grails list and some books I thought I'd never get. So for 2015 I'll try to increase my targets:

* Revival 1st USA signed
* Silver Bullet
* One for the road
(...)

Thats a really impressive list ;D

I stick with the spend less, read more rule - but i will finally color the black spots and close me 1/1 list
think that is goal enough for one year.

burial
01-03-2015, 02:18 PM
my goals for 2015:

3 of these:
Christine S/L
From a Buick 8 S/L
The Wind Through the Keyhole S/L
Skeleton Crew S/L
Cujo S/L
Joyland S/L

2 from this list:
Dolan's Cadillac S/L
Black House S/L
Insomnia S/L
'Salem's Lot (1st/1st) - 2nd or 3rd state
The Shining (1st/1st)
Night Shift (1st/1st)
'Salem's Lot - Centipede Gift Edition

All from this list:
20th Century Ghosts (1s/1st)
The Stand (1st/1st)
Full Dark, No Stars - Gift Edition
The Dark Tower I, II, IV (2003 Viking Edition) <- I & II in transit
Full Dark, No Stars - Cemetery Dance slipcase

Also need to renew some of my 1st editions
(some of them have some flaws that are not acceptable at the moment):
Everything's Eventual, The Dark Half, It, Needful Things, Misery, Dreamcatcher, The Tommyknockers (gold lettering), Thinner, The Talisman, On Writing, Danse Macabre

It's gonna be hard... a lot of things to buy and more to come... and my primary enemy is... shipping cost to Poland :)
Anyone want to make me happy? Any helpful soul?

Room 217 Caretaker
01-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Yep, he's not kidding about shipping to Poland being expensive. 1-3 books, depending on weight, is between $65-85 dollars.

I wish I could get the worm hole working to help with international shipping to our far off friends.

Mulleins

bdwyer19
01-03-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm hoping to accomplish the following in 2015:

1. The Shining 1/1
2. The Stand 1/1
3. Christine S/L

And the three big ones...
1. Signed Revival (January in Bradenton)
2. Meet Stephen King (January in Bradenton)
3. Hang out with several other DT.org collectors

webstar1000
01-04-2015, 05:20 PM
I want to secure some more original art (got a couple more Whelan's coming too!!) and get my Regulators lettered. All else is gravy! Oh and Florida for sure:)

Roseannebarr
03-01-2015, 10:29 PM
2015 Collecting Goal

Flatsigned books needed

Done! The Dark Half ON ITS WAY from DAVid
Done, Stand. Complete/uncut

Still need

Stephen King goes to the Movies
tWTTK Grant edition
Cycle of werewolf hardcover
My pretty pony

Blockade Billy. Signed Grisham event done
Silver Bullet Signed Grisham event. Done

Long term goals
Signed Limiteds
TNLR
My pretty pony

Riding the Bullet. Done

Theli
03-02-2015, 12:56 AM
I have some relatively simple goals for this year:
-Acquire artist edition of CD's 'Salem's Lot or remarqued gift edition
-Pre-order all King limited/gift editions that intrigue me
-Acquire my first signed Stephen King limited edition
-Acquire my first remarqued Stephen King limited/gift edition
-Acquire Christine PS edition
-Acquire slipcased edition of One for the Road

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-02-2015, 05:37 AM
Acquire? Does that mean steal?

killjoy72
03-02-2015, 08:54 AM
In order of importance/practical fulfillment:
-As usual, all US 1sts released this year.
-Continue down the "Magazine 1st Appearances" list.
-Rage US 1st
-My Pretty Pony
-Maybe Knowing Darkness. Maybe.
-Go to the nearest King signing (if even applicable this year).

jonp
03-02-2015, 09:10 AM
My collecting goals are going to be modest this year. I am not going to buy any older books and just buy new releases.

Finders Keepers. UK and US editions. Any S/L
New collection in November. UK and US editions. Any S/L.
Any PS releases.

I'm already sorted for CD's Doubleday releases.

Theli
03-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Acquire? Does that mean steal?

It means get it by any means necessary! ;)

Priest
03-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Only 1 goal for 2015 - 1/1 Stand ....

tippy4
03-04-2015, 03:53 PM
US Unsigned Trade 1st of Finders Keepers
US Signed Trade 1st of Finders Keepers
US G/E of Finders Keepers (if made)
US and/or UK S/L of Finders Keepers (if made)

Unsigned trade 1st of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Signed trade 1st of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
US G/E of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams (if made)
US and/or UK S/L of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams (if made)

Faithful S/L

PS Thinner G/E

CD Salem's Lot G/E

Night Shift 1st Edition

Jimimck
03-04-2015, 09:03 PM
I think I need to focus on my first editions and leave the gift and s/l's alone unless a great opportunity presents itself. I still need Carrie, Salems and Night Shift, plus a handful of the more easy to come by books too. I should start looking in to having my damaged coffin for my s/l Stand repaired and reconditioned or look at a Dolso replacement.

Roseannebarr
07-14-2015, 05:42 PM
2015 Collecting Goal

Flatsigned books needed

Still need

Blockade Billy. Cd edition
TWTTK. grant edition
Cycle of the Werewolf Hardcover
Silver Bullet
My Pretty Pony
little sisters of Elyria

Long term goals
Signed Limiteds
TNLR
My pretty pony

Riding the Bullet

Got a pc copy of riding the bullett! $750. Issue price

amd013
07-15-2015, 06:52 AM
I guess I just completed my goal last week by finishing my collection of 1st/1st US editions. Night Shift was the last to be acquired (from Betts).

I guess the only other goal for this year would be to get a Lettered edition of Cemetery Dance's version of Carrie. I preordered lettered editions for Salems Lot and The Shinning, so would be nice to get a Carrie before Salem's Lot comes out so I can try to match letters.

Mike

webstar1000
07-15-2015, 07:32 AM
I guess I just completed my goal last week by finishing my collection of 1st/1st US editions. Night Shift was the last to be acquired (from Betts).

I guess the only other goal for this year would be to get a Lettered edition of Cemetery Dance's version of Carrie. I preordered lettered editions for Salems Lot and The Shinning, so would be nice to get a Carrie before Salem's Lot comes out so I can try to match letters.

Mike

WOW! Congrats!

tippy4
07-15-2015, 07:56 AM
UPDATED

US Unsigned Trade 1st of Finders Keepers DONE
US Signed Trade 1st of Finders Keepers DONE
US G/E of Finders Keepers (if made) NOT MADE
US and/or UK S/L of Finders Keepers (if made) NOT MADE

Unsigned trade 1st of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Signed trade 1st of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
US G/E of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams (if made)
US and/or UK S/L of The Bazaar of Bad Dreams (if made)

Faithful S/L DONE

PS Thinner G/E DONE

CD Salem's Lot G/E

Night Shift 1st Edition

Randall Flagg
07-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Updated:

My goals:

Done, but no bonus signature.

Signed Trade 1st of Finders Keepers. Done. Bonus points for an inscribed book!
Signed trade 1st of The Bazaar of bad Dreams. Coming soon...hopefully
"Special" editions that I not at liberty to mention at this time. Partial
Travel to additional King events (Already going to Bradenton in January). Florida in January, Brooklyn in April, Bridgton in July. ??? in November-TBD
Get my copies of Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and The Running Man signed. Partial.

Roseannebarr
09-10-2015, 08:35 AM
2015 Collecting Goal

Flatsigned books needed

Still need

Blockade Billy
TWTTK. grant edition
Silver Bullet
My Pretty Pony

Besides flatsigned books above.
Long term goals
Signed Limiteds
TNLR
My pretty pony
Riding the Bullet

Long Term Goals S/L

1. The plant part 3
2. girl who loved tom gordon
3. Nlr.
4. my pretty pony
5. Masters of Darkness
6. Legends
7. Illustrated masques

UK Books

Insomnia
Rose Madder
Regulators/Desperation

Flatsigned First Edition

Blockade Billy
TWTTK. grant edition
Silver Bullet
My Pretty Pony

Ari_Racing
09-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Updated:

* Revival US Proof
* Revival 1st USA signed
* Silver Bullet
* One for the road
* The long walk UK 1st
* The running man UK 1st

* Revival 1st USA signed
* Silver Bullet
* One for the road
* The long walk UK 1st
* The running man UK 1st

* At least 4 of the 15 1st fiction appearances' magazines I'm missing. -> One more to get and objective is completed.
* At least 7 of the 17 1st fiction appearances' books I'm missing. -> Four more to get and objective is completed.
* At least 2 of the 22 promo items I'm after. -> One more to get and objective is completed.
* At least 30 of the 216 magazines I'm missing that include an original non-fiction piece.
* At least 20 of the 82 books I'm missing that include an original non-fiction piece.
* At least 2 of the 166 newspapers I'm missing that include an original non-fiction piece.

And I'll add one objective:

Plant #1 or #3 unsigned.

webstar1000
09-10-2015, 08:44 AM
My goal will be to get a little more Whelan art. Pick up a Regulators Lettered and S/L... I will be buying much less in 2015 as we are going to be undergoing more renovations at the new house. I also want to have some new shelves built in my King library too next year!

Wow... looked back on this ALMOST a year ago!!!! I have some wonderful art and now have 4 Whelan's!!!! I have my Regulators Lettered and my library is done. Still looking for a Regulators S/L and the house is up for sale as the we have found it too much for us... BUT so far the year has been great. I am thrilled at all I got. I have another couple art projects coming in next month and a dozen books or so.. but then that will be about it for 2015. A VERY good year for sure:) I hope everyone else is happy with the year too... HELL... I GOT to see King twice and get a inscription from him!!! Not to mention win two books from his own library! Thrilled is the right word!!!!!!!!!! :excited:

jreitan47
09-10-2015, 10:15 AM
This is an interesting thread for me considering I Re-started collecting again more then half-way through 2015.

When I started this year, I had only US 33 first editions and have acquired over 10 more.
When I started this year, I had zero UK first editions, and I've acquired 19.
When I started this year, I had zero magazines (fiction/non-fiction by King) and have acquired 56.

My goal for the remainder of 2015 is to acquire at least one of the early Doubleday first editions and a first of Creepshow.

Roseannebarr
09-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Updated:

* Revival US Proof
* Revival 1st USA signed
* Silver Bullet
* One for the road
* The long walk UK 1st
* The running man UK 1st

* Revival 1st USA signed
* Silver Bullet
* One for the road
* The long walk UK 1st
* The running man UK 1st

* At least 4 of the 15 1st fiction appearances' magazines I'm missing. -> One more to get and objective is completed.
* At least 7 of the 17 1st fiction appearances' books I'm missing. -> Four more to get and objective is completed.
* At least 2 of the 22 promo items I'm after. -> One more to get and objective is completed.

And I'll add one objective:

Plant #1 or #3 unsigned.

Ari,

do you have a list that you are working from for the 17 1st fiction appearances books? and the 216 magazines? and the 166 newspapers?

are you willing to share? If so, please PM.

Thanks! Glen

becca69
09-10-2015, 01:34 PM
After 10 years, I was able to finally complete my matching DT S/L set with the addition of DT2 this year.

I also was able to complete my ASOIAF S/L set... bonus!

jhanic
09-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Congratulations, Becca!

John

zelig
09-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Great achievement. Congrats!

The Library Policeman
09-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Congratulations Becca! :)

TCCBodhi
09-10-2015, 06:22 PM
I guess now that I'm starting to jump into collecting more than just the rare S/L that is released I should get a little more formal in actual goals. I mainly just took books as they caught my eye, although I did want to get Mr. Mercedes before End of Watch makes that perhaps even MORE difficult. I THINK I have an idea on my 2016 goals, just to keep me in focus a little bit, but 2015 sure was/is fun! :)

Ari_Racing
12-02-2015, 08:43 PM
The year is coming to an end and even when I didn't complete all my objectives I had a terrific year when it comes to collecting:

* Revival 1st USA signed
* Silver Bullet
* One for the road
* The long walk UK 1st
* The running man UK 1st

* At least 4 of the 15 1st fiction appearances' magazines I'm missing. I got 3.
* At least 7 of the 17 1st fiction appearances' books I'm missing. I got 4.
* At least 2 of the 22 promo items I'm after. I got 3
* At least 3 more 1st edition books signed by King. I got 2.
* At least 1 of these three S/L: Blockade Billy, Cujo & Wizard and Glass I got all of them. :)
* At least 30 of the 216 magazines I'm missing that include an original non-fiction piece. I got 71.
* At least 20 of the 82 books I'm missing that include an original non-fiction piece. I got 49
* At least 2 of the 166 newspapers I'm missing that include an original non-fiction piece. I got 3.
* At least 1 of the two Spanish editions I'm missing. I got none.

biomieg
01-01-2016, 11:29 AM
So, how did everyone do?

My goals are very modest:

trade hardcover editions of newly released books (US editions plus UK editions if I like the cover art); CHECK
one or two proofs from my 'most wanted' list, IF they come up for sale (unlikely). UK Skeleton Crew and/or Thinner would be awesome; CHECK
a couple of early US and UK paperbacks. A 1st/1st Signet Firestarter is #1 on this list! The Search continues in 2016...

Theli
01-01-2016, 01:08 PM
-Acquire artist edition of CD's 'Salem's Lot or remarqued gift edition (not available yet, but I did not pre-order it, so it's on this years list)
-Pre-order all King limited/gift editions that intrigue me (pre-ordered The Shining and 'Salem's Lot portfolio from CD and 'Salem's Lot from PS, so goal achieved)
-Acquire my first signed Stephen King limited edition (Bought Colorado Kid s/l Chadbourne edition from PS)
-Acquire my first remarqued Stephen King limited/gift edition (Sort of reached, got a remarqued The Shining chapbook)
-Acquire Christine PS edition (not achieved, still sort of on the list)
-Acquire slipcased edition of One for the Road (Also not achieved and also still on the list)

Roughly 50% success

Patrick
01-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Achieved.

Randall Flagg
01-02-2016, 01:07 PM

Achieved.
If you only knew what you missed...