PDA

View Full Version : How many serious SK collectors are under the age of 30?

SystemCrashOverRide
11-11-2014, 08:17 AM
I've been pondering this over the last few days, with all of the hubbub surrounding Revival, and many of the forum members making plans to go to some of the events that correspond with it, I thought to myself - and not for the first time - that this hobby demands a certain amount of disposable income. This is something I've always struggled with, as I'm in my mid-twenties and carry a large chunk of school debt. It also occurs to me that most of the members here have been at it for quite some time, and amassed sizable collections because they've been fans of King since his earlier publications.

So I was curious, how much of an oddity am I as a younger man who *loves* this hobby but struggles to afford it? How many other members out there are "younger" than the majority? I've picked 30 somewhat arbitrarily I suppose, but I would be interested to know the average age of collectors and at what age they started seriously collecting.

Ricky
11-11-2014, 08:36 AM
This is something I've always struggled with, as I'm in my mid-twenties and carry a large chunk of school debt.

Hey, me too! :lol:

I'm 22 and have a collection I'm happy with (though I don't nearly have enough income/savings to buy 10 copies of every version of every book) and have been collecting since 2007ish, though reading SK longer than I've been collecting.

If I add a few new things to my collection every year, I'm happy.

racerx45
11-11-2014, 08:39 AM
According to my wife I act like I am 10, does that count? I am over 30 but I did start in my 20’s.

herbertwest
11-11-2014, 08:57 AM
How would you define a "serious" collector?
I will soon be 28, I have no debts but have put my collection on hold (I already have over 400 books by/about Stephen King, on top of which you can add movies + movie press kits + another 160 books by/about another writer) because of lack of space and fundings.

Of my collection, I dont have anything "really" valuable as I have a few proofs but no limited edition (couple of gifts limited edition, nothing signed / lettered)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-11-2014, 09:00 AM
I am well over 30 and have been reading King since the 1st Carrie film.

My current King collection was started in 2005, so it's less than 10 years old.

coderedx
11-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Funny you mention this... I picked up my tickets for the King event in Kansas City yesterday, and somebody in the bookstore joked about how young I am.

I don't think there are many under 30. I am 30, and I was kind of surprised to see some other people in this thread that are children of the 80s and 90s.

There are a couple of reasons for this:
1. We weren't even able to read when King's best books (The Stand, The Shining, Salem's Lot, It, Pet Sematary, etc.) were released.
2. You're right about the disposable income situation. Many younger people just don't have it. Along the same line, many younger people just don't have physical space.
3. Many younger people don't really embrace physical books. I'll admit that I haven't read a physical book since graduate school.

The articles last week about Cemetery Dance also hinted at the fact that there aren't many people into the horror genre.

Kingfan24
11-11-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm going to be 26 on the 17th of November

Roseannebarr
11-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Funny you mention this... I picked up my tickets for the King event in Kansas City yesterday, and somebody in the bookstore joked about how young I am.

I don't think there are many under 30. I am 30, and I was kind of surprised to see some other people in this thread that are children of the 80s and 90s.

1. We weren't even able to read when King's best books (The Stand, The Shining, Salem's Lot, It, Pet Sematary, etc.) were released.
2. You're right about the disposable income situation. Many younger people just don't have it. Along the same line, many younger people just don't have physical space.
3. Many younger people don't really embrace physical books. I'll admit that I haven't read a physical book since graduate school.

The articles last week about Cemetery Dance also hinted at the fact that there aren't many people into the horror genre.

Who is going to buy all of the older peoples books when we die! I see a glut of s/ls for sale in a few years. At 52 my collection could be at my estate sale real soon! Ps some of us older folks don't have the funds to support or problem either. We typically just hide the books from our spouses. Just like they do with shoes purses and clothes.

Ben Staad
11-11-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm 39 with limited funds however I love every, single, damn, purchase I make.

stkmw02
11-11-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm 28 and have been collecting King since I was 9 years old. I started by just wanting to read all of his books, then switched to replacing my dogeared paperbacks with 1/1 hardcovers. When I hit high school between 2000 and 2004, I was seeking out other collectors online and found Skemers. That gave me enough instruction to start pursuing more serious collection items. For graduation, I requested a family vacation to Bangor, Maine so I could visit Betts. It is still one of my favorite memories... we really played the tourist card and posed for photos, visited odd King locations, etc. And I got to take home some "real" collector's items from Betts. From then on, I tried to purchase at least one new 'expensive' King item a year for my birthday. Expensive was defined by how poor I was at the time, so sometimes a $30 first edition that I had trouble finding was valuable enough. And even with $100,000 in student loan debt, I found ways to justify a new King purchase. Smart? Probably not. But plenty of other people spend their cash on worse things.

tdt.org really REALLY opened new doors for me in terms of collecting. Not only is this a great place to find good deals and fair trades, but I benefit immensely from the experience and guidance of more seasoned collectors. Also, having a financial adviser who understands "fun money" and helps me to build it into my savings/spending plans is a very helpful thing. Especially because NOW my collection has a slightly different direction... I like to look at my shelves and know WHO my books came from. I like to be able to say, "That Green Mile... not only is it a 1/1 copy, it was BILL'S." That to me makes the item more valuable. It's like adopting the book, giving it a new "forever" home and knowing it came from a home that was just as loving and appreciative of King.

I think there are more King fans under 30 out there, but I do agree that less of us are investing our money and interests in building substantial collections. For the most part, I would say student debt takes a large toll there... but also the lack of space (I anxiously await moving into a home with a library so I can really pull out all the stops) and alternate life focus (juggling relationships, pursuing education, job hunting, starting families). I expect to be more settled and comfortable financially within the next five years, allowing me to dive in to collecting. I have a husband and a child and a full-time job, we're looking at houses... pretty soon the only life milestone left will be to add a first edition Carrie to my shelf. ;)

I am more than happy to add your books to my collection, Roseannebarr!! lol

webstar1000
11-11-2014, 10:19 AM
I am 38... And have read King since I was in grade 9. There are millions of King readers and a ton of people have his books on their shelfs. As much as I loved his work and wanted to have all his stuff... I was blind to the fact there was all these wonderful presentations of books. So, I collected a few GE's and then realized I could not complete my collection of every book he has done cause there was no GE for the likes of Six Stories or Dolans... So I bought an S/L of Dolans.... And I loved having a signed book by my favourite author... Then it led to here, and then I was learning about all these other even better productions! I needed more and got a partial DT matching set... And it was not enough... It really is like a drug. Now it's the art and Lettered's. Lol I was going to stop at one point but won't. So hard core collecting for a year and a half and haven't done to bad. If more people with a little money knew about these... There would be more collectors! Can I afford what I buy? Sometimes... And the wife has hardly a clue but let's me go ...

SystemCrashOverRide
11-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Glad to see this took off so quickly, I'm really enjoying hearing the different ages and how they approach collecting (budget, space, etc).

How would you define a "serious" collector?

Well you're on a niche forum with almost 6'000 posts and you have hundreds of books, I would definitely call you a "serious" collector. Budget not withstanding.

"I don't think there are many under 30. I am 30, and I was kind of surprised to see some other people in this thread that are children of the 80s and 90s.

3. Many younger people don't really embrace physical books. I'll admit that I haven't read a physical book since graduate school."

You're right on all counts Coderedx, in regards to #3, I've ALWAYS loved traditional mediums. I have a classic video game collection that ranges from pre-Atari right through to current consoles, a large-ish vinyl collection, some killer vintage hi-fidelity stereo equipment, books and comics coming out the wazoo. I joke that what I collect is collections. But ALL and I repeat ALL of my collection has been on a shoe string budget. Absolutely everything was found at thrift stores, garage sales, buy and sells online, traded for (sacrifice the old hobby for the sake of the new one, anyone else do this?) and that's the only way I've ever been able to justify it. Eventually I'll have a massive sell off and pay down a large chunk of my debt, and I have begun to do so with the video games, but I'm not quite there yet.

In my own life I've only found a few other rabid King fans, and I've subsequently thrown spare paperback editions at them until they cry out for help. I guess I just want someone else to be as excited as I am.

The Library Policeman
11-11-2014, 10:44 AM
I just turned 46 last month and like others I started collecting in the 80's. Paperbacks at first (which I still collect) and then hardcovers as my interest/obsession grew as I got older. It really kicked off for me S/L wise when I got hooked up to the internet around the early 2000's. All these beautiful, collectable books suddenly became easily available and it was/is fantastic. I spend more than I should on books but I think all of us on the forum probably do.

My love of Stephen King and my support of my football team are the only 2 hobbies I have enjoyed and stuck with since I was a kid and I still enjoy both hobbies immensely. I'm hoping my love of SK is passed on to my daughter - but if not she can sell off the collection when I pass and buy shoes! :evil:

Randall Flagg
11-11-2014, 11:40 AM
I added a poll. Please take the time to answer the question.

SystemCrashOverRide
11-11-2014, 11:51 AM

I had considered doing this, breaking it into different age categories to see where everyone fell. But I didn't really know how to set up a poll. Thank you RF, much appreciated.

jhanic
11-11-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm a tad over 30, so I voted that way.

John

Mattrick
11-11-2014, 12:27 PM
What consititutes a serious collector? I'm 28 and have had my own Stephen King books since I was 9. I don't really care if I have a first edition or not and I haven't bought a different version of a book I already own. Am I serious because I own 90% of his works? Or am I not as serious because I don't care what edition I have? Without knowing if I'm serious or not I can't answer this poll.

SystemCrashOverRide
11-11-2014, 12:37 PM
What consititutes a serious collector? I'm 28 and have had my own Stephen King books since I was 9. I don't really care if I have a first edition or not and I haven't bought a different version of a book I already own. Am I serious because I own 90% of his works? Or am I not as serious because I don't care what edition I have? Without knowing if I'm serious or not I can't answer this poll.

I didn't mean for the "serious" to really be a qualifier, I think that if you're an active part of this website then you're exactly who I'm asking about. As I said with Herbertwest, you're an active member of a niche collectors website and you (Mattrick) have 4500 posts, I definitely consider you serious.

Also! You're in Oshawa? I'm out in Pickering! I don't know if it's weird or not, but if you ever want to meet another collector, I'd be game.

zelig
11-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I started collecting in 1987 when I was about 20. Oh man, where do the years go.... My initial focus was 1st editions. Due to some major life changes, I stopped collecting seriously for many years, then kicked things back up again just over a year ago. I'm paying the price for that now because I missed out on many key books at issue price, so I've had to pick them up at current rates on the secondary market. I feel that if you want to build a solid King collection today, it could be a daunting task and will cost many many thousands of dollars.

I've learned that collecting Stephen King is like peeling an onion. There are many layers which you keep discovering. Just when you thought you were on top of things, you discover some other avenue or item that you want to pursue. That's one of the things that make this hobby/obsession so interesting.

Patrick
11-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Very interesting discussion.

Like John, I am a bit over 30. 49 to be specific.

Mattrick, I consider you a serious collector. It's about intent and obsession, not budget!

I began reading King back in the early '80's. I started collecting King about a decade ago. While searching the Internet for info on the Dark Tower series a year or two earlier, I found TDT.net and ran across a thread there discussing collectible King books. (Later it developed into a dedicated sub-forum.) These guys were knowledgeable, intelligent, and I enjoyed learning. Finally I decided to collect the S/L's of the Dark Tower books that had been released to date at the time, but that would be it. Once hooked, I decided to collect other King S/L's, but ONLY the S/L's, not GE's, not flatsigned 1sts, not even 1st editions. And certainly not proofs nor promo items.

Since then, I've let go of all self-imposed rules and just make it up as I go along based on interest and budget at the time, so I have what feels like a little bit of everything, and have expanded to other authors I enjoy.

Mattrick
11-11-2014, 01:11 PM
I consider myself more of a serious book collector than just a King collector. Paid 50 bucks for my rare, leather-bound Gatsby and a fair amount of pennies for my Tolstoi's printed in the late 1880's in London. And then there is this set... https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1535654_10153651873375571_625605952_n.jpg?oh=20005 25ccc175b829cc86d15eb0150b2&oe=54D7C4E7

Mattrick
11-11-2014, 01:15 PM
I didn't mean for the "serious" to really be a qualifier, I think that if you're an active part of this website then you're exactly who I'm asking about. As I said with Herbertwest, you're an active member of a niche collectors website and you (Mattrick) have 4500 posts, I definitely consider you serious.

Also! You're in Oshawa? I'm out in Pickering! I don't know if it's weird or not, but if you ever want to meet another collector, I'd be game.

To be fair, I can't have more than a couple hundred posts in the Collecting forum lol. There are a couple others from this site not to far from us either. I think WeDealInLead is a Londoner (ontario)

Merlin1958
11-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Just for informational purposes. I'm 56 (Duh) and while I started reading King around 1976, my serious collection began around 1998 and went into high gear after he completed (or perhaps while he was completing the last three books) TDT series.

stroppygoblin
11-11-2014, 04:01 PM
I am currently 48 (49 on NYE). I've been collecting for a good many years, but only really got 'serious' in the last 4 years at which point I decided that my collection needed to be at least as complete as my budget would allow (1sts and GE's). This year marked a step beyond that with my acquisition of a Stand Coffin edition and I'm already starting to lust after certain other S/L's.

becca69
11-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Well my screen name is Becca69 so you decided what that means but I started collecting when I was 11... now this was what my mother would buy me and she started me with the SK book club in the early 80s. At that young age I already knew I wanted to acquire the already rare Carrie 1st edition which was upwards of $100. Completely unobtainable in my mind ;) I only got the first few Doubleday editions and then my mother decided to cancel my subscription and just purchase the books as they were released. It wasn't until then that I realized the book club editions were not the same as the trades.

I was in college when I was able to add my first Grant Dark Tower books starting with book 3. That one book fueled my obsession with finding as many limited, GE and 1st edition books I could afford.

Anne Rice 1sts factored into my purchasing soon after. Now I'm hard pressed to find a good fiction book/author out there that I don't want to add to my constantly growing hoard.

webstar1000
11-11-2014, 04:16 PM
I am currently 48 (49 on NYE). I've been collecting for a good many years, but only really got 'serious' in the last 4 years at which point I decided that my collection needed to be at least as complete as my budget would allow (1sts and GE's). This year marked a step beyond that with my acquisition of a Salem's Lot Coffin edition and I'm already starting to lust after certain other S/L's.
Correct a fool if he is wrong brother... But don't you have a Stand S/L too and when did you get a Salems??? Or perhaps a typo?

stroppygoblin
11-11-2014, 04:18 PM
I am currently 48 (49 on NYE). I've been collecting for a good many years, but only really got 'serious' in the last 4 years at which point I decided that my collection needed to be at least as complete as my budget would allow (1sts and GE's). This year marked a step beyond that with my acquisition of a Salem's Lot Coffin edition and I'm already starting to lust after certain other S/L's.
Correct a fool if he is wrong brother... But don't you have a Stand S/L too and when did you get a Salems??? Or perhaps a typo?

No the fool is me (blame the jet lag) I do of course have a STAND (original post updated)

bdwyer19
11-11-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm 42, and have been an avid King reader since high school. It was back in 1999 when I was on a business trip that I saw the DT 1-3 slipcase set being sold at a local Borders. I hadn't read the Dark Tower books yet, but knew that I had to have the set. It was after buying those books that the collector bug bit me. I got what I could afford, which was really just a few gift editions. It was finally about 5 years ago following a successful trip to Vegas that I decided I had to put those winnings toward a signed King book. I've tried to focus on S/Ls ever since, but having two small kids has made the funds somewhat limited at times.

ke7285
11-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Great to read about all the young collector's out there! I'll be 53 this Thanksgiving day, I did not start reading regularly until I was in my twenties while in the US navy started reading SK, not much to do while at sea. My real collection started around 1984 while in port in Portland, Me walked into a bookstore and bought a book I had not seen or heard of for $20 The Gunslinger. I still have this book, and a whole lot more!

dnemec
11-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Sadly, I just turned 36 on 11/1. My mother had BCE of King's books in the house, so that's where I started when I was around 10. It was in 2009 when several things happened and I seriously started collecting--a client told me about Cemetery Dance (the bastard!), I went to The Strand in NYC and purchased my first collectible DT books as well as my first proofs, and I paid $300 for a single book online (an Arkham House Lovecraft). I decided to start collecting several years before that when I was about 25/26, but when I started learning more and shelling out more money is when I think it became serious. Then I began collecting more authors--Bradbury, Matheson, Hill--then ephemera--then art. Now, I can't stop!

Girlystevedave
11-12-2014, 10:21 AM

I also wondered the same thing, as far as "What makes a collector?" so I didn't vote. :orely:

But, I'll say that I've been obsessed with everything Stephen King related since I was 12 years old. I've been steadily collecting and devouring SK works for the past 21 years with no plan of slowing down. :)

I wouldn't even recognize a collector's edition, first edition, etc. if someone slapped me in the face with it. :lol:

Merlin1958
11-12-2014, 10:29 AM

I also wondered the same thing, as far as "What makes a collector?" so I didn't vote. :orely:

But, I'll say that I've been obsessed with everything Stephen King related since I was 12 years old. I've been steadily collecting and devouring SK works for the past 21 years with no plan of slowing down. :)

I wouldn't even recognize a collector's edition, first edition, etc. if someone slapped me in the face with it. :lol:

Meaning no disrespect to either of you kind folks, I believe for the purposes of this thread that a "Serious Collector" is someone who knows definitively the answers the questions you've asked. A "Serious Collector" has intimate knowledge of edition types, states, release dates etc. That doesn't make you anything less for just collecting, memorabilia, PB's, BCE or whatever. Just different is all. To each his/her own, right?

Of course we all here share an affinity for all things Stephen King.

Girlystevedave
11-12-2014, 10:36 AM
That's what I also think when I hear "Collector". :)

racerx45
11-12-2014, 12:19 PM
For me the definitions would be as follows:
Collector –The items you have are for your enjoyment and you intend to keep those as a group
Serious Collector –You seek out items, you have a list of items you need/want, you will wait for just the right item to become available, and you usually are very focused on specific goals
Casual Collector – You up pick things when the opportunity presents itself but you don’t go out of your way to add an item, you have a main collection and also enjoy items loosely related, and you may or may not have a goal or what you consider a complete collection

As for what is in the collection, I don’t think that defines if you are serious or not. I think it is more about how you approach your collection.

Merlin1958
11-12-2014, 12:22 PM
FWIW, I think it was, George Beahm who said that when collecting it is important to set your own personal set of rules for your collection. I took that to heart with my collection and I believe every collector, serious through casual does and should do the same.

jonp
11-12-2014, 12:36 PM
I find that my collecting goals change focus from time to time. I like to have a steady influx of books arriving to enjoy. I started collecting SK books around 1989 just BCEs, then started on UK firsts in 1992. When those were nearing completion I moved onto S/L in the early 2000s, then Lettereds. Those I need do not come up that often or are completely out of my price range. As I needed to collect something (as Alan said earlier - it's an illness) I have now moved onto US firsts, Proofs and Promo packs. I honestly don't think I will stop, just move on to different areas.

Merlin1958
11-12-2014, 12:55 PM
I find that my collecting goals change focus from time to time. I like to have a steady influx of books arriving to enjoy. I started collecting SK books around 1989 just BCEs, then started on UK firsts in 1992. When those were nearing completion I moved onto S/L in the early 2000s, then Lettereds. Those I need do not come up that often or are completely out of my price range. As I needed to collect something (as Alan said earlier - it's an illness) I have now moved onto US firsts, Proofs and Promo packs. I honestly don't think I will stop, just move on to different areas.

Yes, of course. My initial goal was to collect 1/1 of every published King book in the US and the UK. Now there are a scarce few that I ruled out, but I accomplished that goal and moved on to "Upgrades" adding signed copies and S/L editions. It really is just a matter of developing your own personal "rules" and modifying them as you see fit. IMHO There is a definite reason I refer to it as "My collection".

jonp
11-12-2014, 01:00 PM
I am prone to many impulse buys. I've got a want list, then I look at Betts or eBay and then that's that!

divemaster
11-12-2014, 01:59 PM
I just turned 46. I first read King as a sophomore in HS (1984-ish). Paperback copy of The Stand was my first introduction to King. I started reading the books; then read Winter's The Art of Darkness which really got me interested! My first collecting goal was to get all the books in trade first editions. It never crossed my mind to go for S/L editions. I had heard about them, but in pre-internet days, I figured I'd never even come across them. They were mysterious items with mysteriuos names (Scream/Press; Land of Enchantment; The Mysterious Press...). I remember finding a couple of copies of The Drawing of the Three (Grant trade) at a Waldenbooks and thought I had found El Dorado. (This was while I was stationed in San Antonio; 1987 or early '88. Our first opportunity for an off-base pass and most everyone was heading for bars, clubs, etc. All I wanted to do was find a bookstore. I took my off-base pass, went to the mall, and Waldenbooks and voila! The Drawing of the Three. It was years later before I was able to acquire an actual Gunslinger, though.)

Then I discovered antiquarian bookstores. Wow! A first edition Cujo! Score! And what's this? A first edition Dead Zone?

After Al Gore invented the internet, I discovered that maybe one day I would be able to purchase some sort of S/L King book. Lo and behold, my first King S/L was Six Stories. I think I bought that in the early 2000s. I picked up a couple more here and there, but I also had discovered Arkham House and truth be told, I was more interested in collecting those, even while I maintained a much larger interest in reading King.

But then my other hobby took off and allowed me the extra funds to purchase King S/L'ds. That was about the same time I discovered this website, which really gave me encouragement. So from about 2009 until early this year I bought my way up to about 60 King S/L editions (without my wife knowing!), including a full numbered S/L Dark Tower set. I know I spent over $30,000 in a span of maybe 4 years. Alas, the same hobby that afforded me all these purchases has now presented me with the necessity of selling off much of my collection. One day I expect to recoup what I'm having to now sell. I'm trying not to be discouraged here.

Sir_Boomme
11-13-2014, 11:19 AM

I always love it when you pull your poll out... makes me all queasy inside. And from the looks of your poll.... the younger generation has some catching up to do.

I started collecting King paperbacks in the mid 80's ...that's all I could afford and I had no spare space. Then early 90's I strived to collect the hardbacks, by 1995 I had switched my goals to 1st edition hardbacks.
Then, in 1997, while christmas shopping... at a sport's memorabilia store, I ran across a UK slipcased gift edition of Insomnia. I was poorer than an Ethiopian in a midnight TV commercial, but I scraped together 75 bucks to buy that book (I had to eat rice for the next three weeks to pay for it).
That got me hooked, 2 months later I landed a great job... and the insanity of buying limited and signed editions began.
It got really expensive in 2006- when i had to buy a house to have room for my collection.

Obviously... to buy big... you have to have some disposable income... or just really really like eating rice.

To buy really big, like Bob (aka. carlosdetweiler)... you have to be a doctor AND have an oil well in your backyard. (I'm convinced he does... or he has a grove of money trees) I doubt eating rice filled his basement.

BTW... I'm 55 1/2 YO... so I was about 37 when I started out collecting the limiteds.

RichardX
11-13-2014, 11:27 AM
If the event last night on the GW campus is any indication, about 90 percent of the attendees were between 30-60. I didn't see more than a few college kids. Maybe the cost was a consideration. The fans seem to be evenly split between male and female but very few non-whites.

dnemec
11-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Giving up food to buy a book ensures you serious collector status in my opinion!!!

SystemCrashOverRide
11-13-2014, 12:23 PM
If the event last night on the GW campus is any indication, about 90 percent of the attendees were between 30-60. I didn't see more than a few college kids. Maybe the cost was a consideration. The fans seem to be evenly split between male and female but very few non-whites.

Now that's really getting down to brass tacks, I didn't even think to poll gender or skin colour/racial background. I suppose that's a scope that equally interesting, but perhaps a bit too big to try and accurately get the metrics on. It does seem to be (at least on these forums) dominated by 30-60 whites males, with a smattering of younger white guys like myself, and the occasional woman.

I think this has been an eye opener for me, I find that regularly perusing this forum does help me mentally justify purchases that might otherwise be out of my reach, because hell, next to you guys I'm barely scratching the surface. Spending time drooling over member collection threads does give one a bit of an inferiority complex, but I have to recognize that most of you gents (and ladies) are in much different stages of your life than I am. I've yet to get a real career rolling, buy a house, get married and have kids...priorities and disposable income differ greatly for a guy like me.

There's something to be learned here, not to compare myself to others and see my collection as lacking, but to celebrate what I DO have, and what I have managed to find that's within my means.

biomieg
11-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Exactly!

I'm 40 and I started purchasing 'collectibles' (mostly 1st editions and proofs and a few odds and ends) about five years ago. I'm not exactly wealthy but I don't really spend much on other things so I was able to hunt and gather and build a nice little collection. My collection is currently in hibernation mode because my seven-month old son requires a lot of time and energy and also because I spend a lot of $$ going to college again.

So yes, priorities.

But I expect to be back in the arena in five or six years :smile: meanwhile I'll just continue to hang out here.

webstar1000
11-13-2014, 12:49 PM
I am on numerous Facebook SK sites.. and when I post a signed limited... or a DT collection close up... THEY LOSE THIER F)*&^#'IN minds. Seriously.... for the most part they are the younger people that read King. AND THEY collect his work... but paperbacks... hard covers... just want one of every book. Some tell me they get the list that he has done from inside the books at the back. I laugh cause I did many years ago. The fact remains... they are so thrilled to see a signed King book or a limited production. I had over 4000 likes on a post once. LOL It was the matching DT set with the bookends (Constant Readers I had specially made from Rachel) and I had a million questions. I dont post the pics much anymore due to the amount of questions and messages I get... oh and the "new friends" too. haha I think a big reason more young people are not "there yet" in collecting is not only money.. but the knowledge that this great collecting universe exists... I, for one, only found out a year and a half ago... and am glad I did:)

Sir_Boomme
11-13-2014, 01:49 PM
but I have to recognize that most of you gents (and ladies) are in much different stages of your life than I am. I've yet to get a real career rolling, buy a house, get married and have kids...priorities and disposable income differ greatly for a guy like me.

for-go the wife and kids... get dogs instead... and your collection will grow much faster... buying when you want, what you want, and as much as you want...without having to support others and ask a spouse for permission, definitely has it's advantages. just sayin'

Patrick
11-13-2014, 09:12 PM

Meaning no disrespect to either of you kind folks, I believe for the purposes of this thread that a "Serious Collector" is someone who knows definitively the answers the questions you've asked. A "Serious Collector" has intimate knowledge of edition types, states, release dates etc. That doesn't make you anything less for just collecting, memorabilia, PB's, BCE or whatever. Just different is all. To each his/her own, right?

Of course we all here share an affinity for all things Stephen King.
I disagree with this definition. You don't need "intimate knowledge of edition types, states, release dates etc." You just need to know where to find our Catalog when you need that info!

jsmcmullen92
12-22-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm only 22 and already have almost every 1st edition King book. I'm slowly going back through and working on my signed collection and ARCs.

jhanic
12-22-2014, 12:49 PM
I always like to see another proof/ARC collector!

John

jsmcmullen92
12-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Have any beginning proofs/ARCs you want to part with? I am just starting the collection and do not want to start with the big books.

zelig
12-22-2014, 12:59 PM
That's quite an achievement to have all the 1sts at your age. Congratulations!

jsmcmullen92
12-22-2014, 01:01 PM
I guess it is the product of a nice job and being single :biggrin:

skyofcrack
12-22-2014, 01:17 PM
I started reading King at age 12 (1979) then collecting 1st's in 1980 with Firestarter. I don't think limiteds would have been on my radar if it weren't for tracking down a Gunslinger 1st in 1983 when Pet Sematary came out. I've bought almost every 1st since then as they were published. Only limiteds when I could afford them. I'm 47 now.

zelig
12-22-2014, 01:37 PM
I started reading King at age 12 (1979) then collecting 1st's in 1980 with Firestarter. I don't think limiteds would have been on my radar if it weren't for tracking down a Gunslinger 1st in 1983 when Pet Sematary came out. I've bought almost every 1st since then as they were published. Only limiteds when I could afford them. I'm 47 now.

Amazing to have started collecting so early on and been in the loop ever since.

Papaseraphim
12-22-2014, 01:50 PM
I was in my early twenties when I started collecting King in the early 80s. I had all the early limited editions (Cujo, Firestarter). I bought my SL Gunslinger from L.W. Currey for $150. Saw King at Forbidden Planet (When Christine came out).

Kinda stopped actively collecting in the 90s (and missed out on SLs like The Stand and Regulators dammit) and sold most of my collection (except for the Dark Tower SL's). Started again about eight years ago.

skyofcrack
12-22-2014, 02:21 PM

Amazing to have started collecting so early on and been in the loop ever since.

Yeah, and until finding this site, I thought I was alone in my collecting madness! http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/smilies/eek.gif

CyberGhostface
12-22-2014, 04:11 PM
26. IDK If I'm a serious collector but I've spent hundreds of dollars at this point on various gift editions (can't afford limiteds). It is a bit of a hassle at times saving up. I have a job now but before that I just made quick money doing online surveys.

becca69
12-22-2014, 06:14 PM
I'm only 22 and already have almost every 1st edition King book. I'm slowly going back through and working on my signed collection and ARCs.

You should start a collection thread!

stkmw02
12-23-2014, 05:20 AM
I'm hoping to have all the first editions before I'm 30. Since I'm down to 'Salem's Lot (1st and 3rd states), The Bachman Books, The Gunslinger, Rage, Roadwork, Six Stories, and The Plant... and I turn 30 in May 2016... I'm also hoping I win the lottery.

dnemec
12-23-2014, 06:24 PM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I'm not the only one planning for my eventual lottery win... :thumbsup:

Priest
12-24-2014, 11:19 AM
over 30 now - but as i started really collecting i was 28 ;D