PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Horror-thon 2014

Ricky
10-03-2014, 03:51 PM
It's that time again! Time to stock up on everything pumpkin and break out the horror movies.

I always like to watch as many horror movies as possible during October, and I know there's a lot of people here who like to do the same. I think we'll end up having the same people who participated last year but for anyone new, here's the threads from past years:

Halloween Horror-thon 2011 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?13472-Halloween-Horror-thon-2011)
Halloween Horror-thon 2012 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?16128-Halloween-Horror-thon-2012&highlight=horror-thon)
Halloween Horror-thon 2013 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17679-Halloween-Horror-thon-2013&highlight=halloween+horror-thon+2013)

What's on everyone's to-watch list for this month? To help you decide, here's Every Horror Movie on TV This October (http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/09/every-horror-movie-on-tv-this-october/380973/).

I just saw A Good Marriage today, so it was a good kick-off to the Halloween season. :D

becca69
10-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Well a co-worker of my husband just gave him every single Halloween movie and remake plus directors' cuts, producers' cuts and anniversary editions (except #3 - haha) on DVD and Blue Ray, so we have a lot of Jason watching to do.

Merlin1958
10-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Well a co-worker of my husband just gave him every single Halloween movie and remake plus directors' cuts, producers' cuts and anniversary editions (except #3 - haha) on DVD and Blue Ray, so we have a lot of Jason watching to do.

Of course you mean. Michael, right? The Exorcist is at the top of my list this time every year. Also, it will be time for the annual RHPS viewing!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5MHNvOVl8Y

Girlystevedave
10-04-2014, 05:06 AM
Halloween (the original) is always on my list each year. :wub:

Heather19
10-04-2014, 06:43 AM
How was A Good Marriage Ricky? I want to see that one soon.

I started off October with Annabelle last night. It wasn't the greatest, but oh well. My theater was showing previews for the classic films they're showing this month and both Psycho and A Nightmare Before Christmas are two of the films. I'll definitely be seeing those.

Ricky
10-04-2014, 07:51 AM
It was decent. I re-read the novella earlier this week before I watched it and it follows pretty closely. It does drag a bit, though, which I guess is to be expected to fill up 1 hr. 40 minutes. I would probably give it a 7/10.

I can't wait to see Annabelle. I know I'll probably end up being a little disappointed, but it looks like a lot of fun. And I'm jealous of your theater, Heather. It always seems to be playing cool older movies around Halloween.

becca69
10-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Of course you mean. Michael, right? The Exorcist is at the top of my list this time every year. Also, it will be time for the annual RHPS viewing!!!

Duh, yeah I was typing and thinking of Friday the 13th... LOL.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the link to the movies this month, Ricky. I will be checking it frequently. I will record Rose Red tomorrow morning and watch it after the Broncos game when I get home from work tomorrow. One of the few SK films I havent seen.

Mattrick
10-04-2014, 10:00 AM
I got a head start on this, already watched the [rec] series, Beneath and replayed all the F.E.A.R. Games.

Probably going to watch:

the Orphanage
Carnival of Souls
eyes Without A Face
Pontypool
The Relic
The Devil's Backbone
Nosferatu
28 Days Later
Repulsion
The Tenant
Carrie (2013)

Let's hope I can be this ambitious, I've lots of diistractions this October.

Ricky
10-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the link to the movies this month, Ricky.

No problem!

I know I won't end up getting to all of them (I can't remember how many times I've been meaning to watch Dead Silence), but here's my list:

Finish the Halloween series (The Curse of Michael Myers, H20, Resurrection)
Dead Silence
Friday the 13th
Coraline
Big Driver
Annabelle
Extraterrestrial
Ouija
Horns

Also plan to do some re-watches like Halloween, Frankenweenie, and, of course, my annual Saw series re-watch.

Merlin1958
10-04-2014, 04:20 PM
So, no RHPS fands out there? I watch it each year with my daughter and the "Theater" soundtrack "on". It's always a "hoot"!!! "What's for dinner"?

Meat loaf!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRl55U0eDw

Ricky
10-04-2014, 04:23 PM
I've never seen it (and can't say that I really want to. :lol: )

Merlin1958
10-04-2014, 04:25 PM
I've never seen it (and can't say that I really want to. :lol: )

Well, that's a shame for you, but if you ever do go to see it, make sure your first time is in a theater.

becca69
10-04-2014, 04:46 PM
So, no RHPS fands out there? I watch it each year with my daughter and the "Theater" soundtrack "on". It's always a "hoot"!!! "What's for dinner"?

Meat loaf!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRl55U0eDw

They do a live version at Monster Mania every year... I don't always stay to watch but I do love it!

Mattrick
10-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Rocky Horror Picture Show makes me want to wrap my arms around my neck and asphyxiate myself.

Merlin1958
10-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Rocky Horror Picture Show makes me want to wrap my arms around my neck and asphyxiate myself.

Somehow, I am not surprised to hear this from you. Sad. You need to have more fun, Matts the Blue Jays are never gonna win the series again!!!! LOL Is there a "Halloween" comedy/parody that you do like?

mystima
10-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I might be having some issues with my computer and can't put links on any sites but but here is a link to a RHPS Parody for Doctor Who.(copy and paste in browser.)

http://youtu.be/9WBqHdI5Bdw

Mattrick
10-04-2014, 10:04 PM

Somehow, I am not surprised to hear this from you. Sad. You need to have more fun, Matts the Blue Jays are never gonna win the series again!!!! LOL Is there a "Halloween" comedy/parody that you do like?

There's nothing fun about Rocky Horror. Maybe the midnight showings in costume that everyone loved doing were fun, but if I ever have to hear Time Warp again....something, somewhere, in some dimension, will feel the butterfly effect of my wrath.

Merlin1958
10-05-2014, 05:03 PM

There's nothing fun about Rocky Horror. Maybe the midnight showings in costume that everyone loved doing were fun, but if I ever have to hear Time Warp again....something, somewhere, in some dimension, will feel the butterfly effect of my wrath.

Oh, Matts you're Canadian. You don't know how to have fun!! LOL "It's just a jump to the left"!!! LOL

Merlin1958
10-05-2014, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-vgGuTD8A

Merlin1958
10-05-2014, 09:10 PM

It's the "Pelvic Thrust" that bothers you ain't it???? LOL LOL I mean it drives everyone else "Insaaaaaaaaane"!!! LOL LOL

Tommy
10-06-2014, 01:05 AM
When Eddie said he didn't like his Teddy, you knew he was a no-good kid....:dance:

Iwritecode
10-06-2014, 05:58 AM
If I can squeeze in a viewing of the Charlie Brown and Garfield Halloween specials, I’ll be happy.

http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/GREATPUMPKIN3.png

“I got a rock.”

Merlin1958
10-06-2014, 05:54 PM
If I can squeeze in a viewing of the Charlie Brown and Garfield Halloween specials, I’ll be happy.

http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/GREATPUMPKIN3.png

“I got a rock.”

A true "Classic"!!! LOL

Mattrick
10-06-2014, 08:31 PM
At least you put classic in quotations :P

Going crazy on the horror games this year too. Playing through Alan Wake for Halloween, one of the best games ever made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUINyDKhJs

Heather19
10-07-2014, 06:13 AM
It was decent. I re-read the novella earlier this week before I watched it and it follows pretty closely. It does drag a bit, though, which I guess is to be expected to fill up 1 hr. 40 minutes. I would probably give it a 7/10.

I can't wait to see Annabelle. I know I'll probably end up being a little disappointed, but it looks like a lot of fun. And I'm jealous of your theater, Heather. It always seems to be playing cool older movies around Halloween.

If you haven't seen it yet, go in with low expectations and you might enjoy it. It was entertaining enough, but pretty generic and not really scary at all. I have no plans to ever watch it again :lol: Maybe if they didn't rush the production they could have made a more solid film.

I got a head start on this, already watched the [rec] series, Beneath and replayed all the F.E.A.R. Games.

Probably going to watch:

the Orphanage
Carnival of Souls
eyes Without A Face
Pontypool
The Relic
The Devil's Backbone
Nosferatu
28 Days Later
Repulsion
The Tenant
Carrie (2013)

Let's hope I can be this ambitious, I've lots of diistractions this October.

Carnival of Souls is a great film. Have you seen it before? Also have you ever seen The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? That's a favorite of mine that I think you'd appreciate.

Ricky
10-07-2014, 07:44 AM
If you haven't seen it yet, go in with low expectations and you might enjoy it. It was entertaining enough, but pretty generic and not really scary at all. I have no plans to ever watch it again :lol: Maybe if they didn't rush the production they could have made a more solid film.

That's kind of what I've been hearing, unfortunately. I also read that there's not a lot of focus on Annabelle herself, which is disappointing if it's true. And I was also surprised that they got the movie "out there" that fast. Especially since The Conjuring only came out last year.

I just really want at least one good horror to be released. I think the last time I saw one in the theater that I really enjoyed was Insidious.

Bethany
10-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I watched the newest Carrie over the weekend (very pleased with this version) and the remake of Old Boy. Does that count? When my kid ever makes it home I'm sure we'll watch RHPS, House of 1000 Corpses and every other Bill Moseley movie. *headdesk*

Ricky
10-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Yes! I thought the first half of the new Carrie was excellent. The second half seemed like a shot-for-shot remake of the original, though.

When my kid ever makes it home I'm sure we'll watch RHPS, House of 1000 Corpses and every other Bill Moseley movie. *headdesk*

You know you like it. :lol:

Heather19
10-07-2014, 09:52 AM

That's kind of what I've been hearing, unfortunately. I also read that there's not a lot of focus on Annabelle herself, which is disappointing if it's true. And I was also surprised that they got the movie "out there" that fast. Especially since The Conjuring only came out last year.

I just really want at least one good horror to be released. I think the last time I saw one in the theater that I really enjoyed was Insidious.

Well this is definitely not the one :lol: Did you not like The Conjuring, or did you just not see it in theaters?

I watched the newest Carrie over the weekend (very pleased with this version) and the remake of Old Boy. Does that count? When my kid ever makes it home I'm sure we'll watch RHPS, House of 1000 Corpses and every other Bill Moseley movie. *headdesk*

Bethany, have you seen Dead Air? And if so how was it?

Mattrick
10-07-2014, 10:40 AM
New Carrie and old Carrie are pretty much equal in quality to me.

Annabelle...Wan and he damned spooky dolls. Get a new trick already lol

Tommy
10-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Dead Snow 2
The ABC's of Death 2
Wrong Turn 6

That should be a fairly wretched (wonderful) viewing experience for Halloween :excited:

Heather19
10-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Wow, are they really up to number 6? I had no clue there were so many Wrong Turn movies :lol:

Mattrick
10-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Re-watched The Relic. One of the best monster movies ever made. That monster was the perfect movie monster.

Ricky
10-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Has anyone seen Devil Doll? It looks it'd be right up your alley, Heather. I saw it on a list of "creepiest doll movies" and thought it looked interesting.

Heather19
10-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks Ricky! Never heard of it, but I just looked it up and it sounds good. Added it to my queue, hopefully I'll get to it by Halloween.

Ricky
10-15-2014, 07:21 AM
No problem! I want to try and get to it before Halloween, too, but unnfortunately Netflix has it listed as "Very long wait." Halloween 6, too. I might have to buy them On Demand.

Tommy
10-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Wow, are they really up to number 6? I had no clue there were so many Wrong Turn movies :lol:

I am still surprised when I see a new one pop up

Tommy
10-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Has anyone seen Devil Doll? It looks it'd be right up your alley, Heather. I saw it on a list of "creepiest doll movies" and thought it looked interesting.

Is that Devil Doll from 1964? The one that was featured on an episode of mst3k? If it is, then yes that is a creepy doll but the movie is kind of terrible

Ricky
10-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Yeah, 1964. And I just watched the trailer. It looks really creepy. I love how old movie trailers would say things like, "For maximum shock...SEE IT FROM THE BEGINNING!" :lol:

Tommy
10-15-2014, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgKERWo-FA

Heather19
10-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Oh man, I just might watch that later tonight :lol:

Ricky
10-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Well, I watched Devil Doll today and it was an hour before I suspected that I was watching the wrong movie. :lol:

Instead of "Devil Doll" from 1964, I watched "The Devil-Doll" from 1936. I just saw it On Demand, thought the plot sounded similar, and bought it, expecting a movie about a creepy ventriloquist dummy. I was watching it, thinking that it would start looking more similar to the trailer that I had seen, but it never did. The plot was totally different. I don't think I ever made a mistake like that but, I mean, come on. How many black-and-white films are there called Devil Doll?! I cannot believe I did that. :lol:

becca69
10-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Just watched Halloween II - I've forgotten how bad it is :onfire:

becca69
10-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Well, I watched Devil Doll today and it was an hour before I suspected that I was watching the wrong movie. :lol:

Instead of "Devil Doll" from 1964, I watched "The Devil-Doll" from 1936. I just saw it On Demand, thought the plot sounded similar, and bought it, expecting a movie about a creepy ventriloquist dummy. I was watching it, thinking that it would start looking more similar to the trailer that I had seen, but it never did. The plot was totally different. I don't think I ever made a mistake like that but, I mean, come on. How many black-and-white films are there called Devil Doll?! I cannot believe I did that. :lol:

Was it any good?

Ricky
10-17-2014, 12:23 PM
It was decent, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. It was almost like Frankenstein crossed with Mrs. Doubtfire. :lol:

Heather19
10-17-2014, 12:26 PM

:lol: That's awesome. And I am curious as well, how was it?

Tommy
10-17-2014, 12:34 PM
I love The Devil Doll (1936) It's directed by Tod Browning (Dracula) and it features Lionel Barrymore in full drag, what could be better? :)

needfulthings
10-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Based on the book Burn Witch Burn! by A.MERRITT.
http://imageshack.com/a/img674/3364/8QjY93.jpg
Speaking of Burn Witch Burn check out the 1962 film Burn Witch Burn (aka Night of the Eagle) based on the book Conjure Wife by Fritz Leiber with screen play by Richard Matheson & Charles Beaumont.
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/1766/EcRakz.jpg
also the basis for The Inner Sanctum Movie Weird Woman 1944 with Lon Chaney jr

Br!an
10-19-2014, 11:42 AM

Meat loaf!!!!!!

I worked at a theater, full or part time, from 1977 until 1983. We had midnight movies but only played RHPS a couple of times because a theater in a neighboring town (Ventura) played it every weekend for years.

We used to trade free entry with other theaters. We would let their employees in for free and they would let ours in. They used to close the balcony at the Ventura Theater and only allow employees and friends up there. Rice, rain, and toast are far more entertaining from on high!

I saw RHPS dozens of times and learned all of the responses. It was so far off of the tracks that it was strangely accepted by far more people than was expected.

I saw it at the Tiffany Theater on Sunset Blvd where it ran every weekend for even more years. They pretty much started the cult following. They took it to a whole other level in LA!

I still will watch it occasionally, although the theater experience is far more entertaining than home viewing, memories notwithstanding. I'm a lyrical person and occasionally "see blue skies through the tears in my eyes."

Merlin1958
10-19-2014, 08:04 PM

Meat loaf!!!!!!

I worked at a theater, full or part time, from 1977 until 1983. We had midnight movies but only played RHPS a couple of times because a theater in a neighboring town (Ventura) played it every weekend for years.

We used to trade free entry with other theaters. We would let their employees in for free and they would let ours in. They used to close the balcony at the Ventura Theater and only allow employees and friends up there. Rice, rain, and toast are far more entertaining from on high!

I saw RHPS dozens of times and learned all of the responses. It was so far off of the tracks that it was strangely accepted by far more people than was expected.

I saw it at the Tiffany Theater on Sunset Blvd where it ran every weekend for even more years. They pretty much started the cult following. They took it to a whole other level in LA!

I still will watch it occasionally, although the theater experience is far more entertaining than home viewing, memories notwithstanding. I'm a lyrical person and occasionally "see blue skies through the tears in my eyes."

Well, there we go a RHPS fan. For the record, the cult following was started in NYC, not L.A. but as long as you enjoy the experience, who cares!!!

"There's a light, over at the Frankenstein place"!!! LOL

Girlystevedave
10-21-2014, 04:39 AM
It was decent, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. It was almost like Frankenstein crossed with Mrs. Doubtfire. :lol:

This description alone makes me want to see it. :rofl:

Heather19
10-22-2014, 07:40 AM
I watched The Uninvited (1944) this past weekend. Great atmospheric ghost story, for those that like those types of films. Had a Hitchcock type vibe to it. Jean if you haven't seen it yet, I'd highly recommend it.

Ricky
10-23-2014, 07:39 AM
I thought this was pretty great. :lol:

IKEA Singapore recreates that one scene from 'The Shining' (and nails it) (http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/10/22/ikea-recreates-the-shining/)

Tommy
10-23-2014, 10:24 AM
So Wrong Turn 6 is unwatchable, I didn't get past the 30 minute mark and that's saying a lot because I have seen the first 5 and quality film making is not what the series is known for, what is kind of funny is that Wrong Turn 7 is already in development according to IMDB :rofl:
I hope Dead Snow 2 will be a much better viewing experience

needfulthings
10-25-2014, 01:54 PM
With 150 titles in the collection it looks like it's going to be a
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/9796/avPzKQ.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img540/9796/avPzKQ.jpg
HALLOWEEN.
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3652/d01vfg.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img633/6898/aZueDo.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img538/5871/wARcc4.jpg

needfulthings
10-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Not 3D... But have you seen the 1981
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/2144/SsurjH.jpg
and did you know that in 2009 They put in all the GORE that they had to cut out in 1981?
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/9743/mRmv7T.jpg
I THINK I JUST BLEW A GREAT TRIVIAAAAAAAA QUESTION!:doh:

needfulthings
10-25-2014, 04:51 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img674/5433/ZBQEDw.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img661/4222/fYwLmS.jpg
But don't forget JOE DANTE'S 1978 CLASSIC
http://imageshack.com/a/img908/7936/JTzJzK.jpg

needfulthings
10-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Then we have this little 1972 gem with a 10 min 3D sequence from the U.K. their 2nd 3D film . This one you can watch in the new Stereoscopic format or the old Anaglyph (RED/BLUE) format.
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/2816/YIT4Go.jpg

While we are on the subject of Anaglyph...How about this low key 3D advertising?
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/7641/NWRliB.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img538/6205/404Rsr.jpg

Ricky
10-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Watched Halloween 6 last night. Easily the worst one (I haven't seen H20 or Resurrection yet). :lol:

Ricky
10-27-2014, 05:41 PM
This seems like it's going to be pretty fun:

Fun Size Horror (http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/368759-fun-size-horror-short-premiere-day-1-happy-birthday/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fun-size-horror-short-premiere-day-1-happy-birthday)

Every day (I'm not sure how long) a series of websites will be posting a new horror short. Sites include Shock Till You Drop, Dread Central, Bloody-Disgusting, Collider, and Hit Fix. Each short will be available only for the day it's released before being replaced by the new one the next day.

I just watched the first one and it was pretty interesting. :lol:

Heather19
10-28-2014, 04:54 AM
Oh man :lol:

Ricky
10-28-2014, 07:38 AM
Did you watch the first one? :rofl:

Heather19
10-28-2014, 08:14 AM
It was the happy birthday one, was that the first?

Br!an
10-28-2014, 08:29 AM
I get "This video is private." :pullhair:

needfulthings
10-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Time to put our glasses back on
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/791/rCLur3.jpg2006
http://imageshack.com/a/img908/3967/FA9Euh.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/820/z5it92.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img743/681/dGwPlJ.jpg

Ricky
10-28-2014, 10:26 AM
It was the happy birthday one, was that the first?

Yeah.

Tommy
10-30-2014, 02:43 AM
Dead Snow 2 is easily the best horror film I've seen this year, it's also probably the best comedy as well, I particularly love the creative use of intestines and the cringe-worthy but hilarious ending, please note that there is a scene after the credits :evil:

VHS Viral is surprisingly good, the wraparound story is weak but the three standalone segments are a lot of fun

The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014) is a slick continuation of the original with some good performances from horror movie veterans, some flashy camerawork and brutal kill scenes

Stonehurst Asylum is based on a Poe story and while it isn't scary, it is a well-made atmospheric film with a load of great performances given by an all-star British cast

Heather19
10-30-2014, 05:17 AM
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014) is a slick continuation of the original with some good performances from horror movie veterans, some flashy camerawork and brutal kill scenes

I didn't know they made another one. How was the first? I've been meaning to watch it for awhile now.

Tommy
10-30-2014, 05:41 AM

I didn't know they made another one. How was the first? I've been meaning to watch it for awhile now.

It's pretty creepy and made even creepier by the fact that it is based in truth, though it has been a long time since I've seen it, maybe I need to refresh my memory :orely:

Edit: A lot of footage from the original is seen throughout this one, it might give you an idea of what the first one is like

Ricky
10-30-2014, 07:32 AM
Stonehurst Asylum is based on a Poe story and while it isn't scary, it is a well-made atmospheric film with a load of great performances given by an all-star British cast

This is on my to-see list. I just read a not-so-great review of it the other day. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but it looks like a fun movie.

Tommy
10-30-2014, 07:38 AM

This is on my to-see list. I just read a not-so-great review of it the other day. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but it looks like a fun movie.

It is a bit Lifetimey but it did hold my interest throughout, I really like the director Brad Anderson and that is what drew me to it initially