PDA

View Full Version : DC Universe

Scoogs
01-20-2008, 09:28 PM
How can we have a comic forum without a Bruce Timm thread?

I used to periodically watch most of the shows when they originally aired, but finally bought a bunch of the DVD sets over the summer. So far I've worked my way through Batman the animated series, Batman Beyond, and just stared the 2nd season of Justice League. I've never been much of a Superman fan, so I didn't buy that series. However, it does fit into the continuity, so I may pick it up eventually.

I've really enjoyed all of the series so far, but I never read comics heavily as a kid. More of a casual interest, so they could change a lot and I would never know it (outside of Batman at least).

Anyone else a fan?

Jimmy
01-21-2008, 07:02 PM
I watch JLU, Batman & Superman almost every night. Batman Beyond was great too.

BlakeMP
01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Loved all of the shows. Glad that DC has brought Batman Beyond into the Multiverse.

turtlex
06-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Can you DC fans give me a hand here ...

Who is this? ( the tag indicates JLA, but I couldn't figure it out )

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30247/1121579-jla1548_super.jpg

flaggwalkstheline
06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
that looks like renee montoya doing her best jubilee impersonation:wtf:

turtlex
06-29-2010, 08:52 AM
OMG!! That's exactly what I thought!!! :lol:

I was like... it kinda looks like Renee... but also Jubilee !!!!!!

ETA : Is that even an JL emblem on the jacket?

Maybe the photo was tagged wrong on the interwebs.... it could be Renee, I guess, but she's really not that high maintenance looking.

Sam
06-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Renee is exactly who I thought it was. It looks extremely like her, except for the hair. Renee's hair is usually long.

turtlex
06-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Actually, it was all the jewelry that made me think it wasn't Renee, more than the hair.

In some of the Batwoman stories, she's got shorter hair now. The Cully Hamner take on her.

I mean, the body type looks right, but I couldn't even tell by the pic if she's Hispanic or not, either. Renee is.

Yaksha
06-29-2010, 11:09 AM
that is Mari McCabe aka Vixen and yes she was in the justice league

turtlex
06-29-2010, 04:50 PM
that is Mari McCabe aka Vixen and yes she was in the justice league

Um... I thought Vixen was African-American?

Vixen :
http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/object/142/14272568/vixen_dc-comics_pictureboxart_160w.jpg

Yaksha
06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
she is. she is just lighter in that picture but trust me thats Vixen

turtlex
06-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Thanks, man!!

Mystery solved !!!

:grouphug:

turtlex
06-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Just to throw this out there for comments ...

It's not always a good thing when you change someone's look and/or costume.

The New Wonder Woman :
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/51884/1280493-wonder_woman_super.jpg

This costume’s debuting in WONDER WOMAN #600.

Um... she looks like one of the Spice Girls now.

Brice
06-30-2010, 05:54 AM
I now wonder if supervillains will look like n'sync/new kids/backstreet clones. *shudders* :scared:

Sam
06-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Tell me what'choo want, what'choo really, really want!

turtlex
06-30-2010, 07:23 AM
:lol: You guys crack me up.

I just do not like that new Wonder Woman look. Yeah, maybe she needed a costume upgrade, maybe - but it's not like she's undercover or something and needs to blend in ( with late 1990s pop band culture ).

And what's with those ... are they boots? Sandals?

flaggwalkstheline
06-30-2010, 07:38 AM
ha ha she's dressed like superboy circa 1994!:panic:

Yaksha
06-30-2010, 09:09 AM
and what the hell is wrong with Superboy circa 1994?

demorgan
06-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I like WW little designer jacket....oh, and that little choker.lol

flaggwalkstheline
06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
and what the hell is wrong with Superboy circa 1994?

lol
I didnt say anything was wrong with superboy when he initially appeared just after the death of superman but he's very distinctly a character from the 90s, leather jacket, sunglasses, earing, and a boatload of pouches in which to store um whatever it is superman's adolescent clone carries with him lol

I really ought not to poke fun at him though given that my favorite comicbook character ever is ben reilly:unsure::dance:

mystima
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
didn't she used to have wavy hair too.

they are also changing up her storyline as well

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0630/Wonder-Woman-to-finally-start-wearing-pants

Brainslinger
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Some of that storyline actually looks quite interesting, (although the 'spirited out of harms way when young' is rather Superman). That being said, they could have done that with a whole new character, so I'm undecided whether or not it's good idea. Depend on how it's dealt with I guess.

turtlex
06-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I never understand why comic companies completely change up existing characters ... I mean, debut a new character. Intro them in an existing title, but don't change a legacy character, especially.

turtlex
07-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Superman comic brings the Man of Steel to Philly
By JOANN LOVIGLIO, Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA – One of America's most enduring superheroes has begun a cross-country trek in Philadelphia.

In the pages of DC Comics' latest issue of Superman, which hits stands Wednesday, the Man of Steel embarks on a yearlong journey of more than 1,000 miles with a single step. But for all his strength, insight and intelligence, he still has a thing or two to learn about geography.

The 500 block of South 48th Street is described as the city's "South Side," though no such neighborhood exists in Philadelphia. The area is actually a section of west Philadelphia known as University City, and the flub has generated a little bit of good-natured ribbing from locals.

"We really love to hear that because it means people are reading it and there's a sense of area pride," DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio said. "If we stand corrected, that's OK."

Superman issue No. 701 marks the first installment of the 12-issue "Grounded" series that aims to re-establish the 72-year-old superhero's role as defender of the powerless, a theme that resonated with Depression-era readers.

"At a time in our history when the economy had crashed, and we were recovering from an expensive world war (before we began numbering them), when there was great political upheaval ... he stepped out of the shadows as someone who supported all sides, as long as they were fair and decent," writer J. Michael Straczynski told The Associated Press in a recent e-mail.

"Those times sound a lot like these times, so it makes sense to bring him back around to that role."

During his trek through the city of Brotherly Love, Superman foils a crew of heckling drug dealers, saves an elderly man having a heart attack and talks a despondent woman off a ledge — literally.

Our Krypton-born, Kansas-bred protagonist lacks schooling in the finer points of ordering a cheesesteak — he inelegantly dubs it a "Philly cheese steak sandwich" — but the waitress taking his order lets the faux pas slide. She also cheerfully allows the cash-strapped superhero, who was a vegetarian in another DC series several years back, to work off his bill by cleaning a storage room.

This is really supposed to be Philadelphia?

"They didn't do very well, but they tried," Robert Lefevre, manager of Brave New Worlds comic book store downtown, said with a laugh. "Maybe they confused us with Chicago, which has a South Side. And 'Philly cheese steak sandwich,' nobody says that."

Still, he said customers are responding positively to the issue and sales have been brisk.

Superman's next stop is Detroit, where issues like unemployment and poverty will be woven into a superhero story line, DiDio said. Subsequent locations will be determined based on a recently completed essay contest that asked fans to write about their town and how Superman inspires them.