PDA

View Full Version : Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Quarter Final I

fernandito
09-13-2014, 10:05 AM
NOTE
Although only one film will advance, you are allowed to VOTE FOR TWO!

Back to the Future
http://www.shopzeus.co.uk/product_images/zeusd1-PYPO-2297723.jpg

Inception
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Inception_ver3.jpg

Robocop
http://grimmfest.com/grimmupnorth/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/RoboCop.png

Terminator 2
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2ZX6HHibQnc/TKMCKVr0lsI/AAAAAAAAFN0/FgHiHlUrCwc/s1600/terminator+2.jpg

mae
09-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Back to the Future and Robocop. Robocop should move on.

fernandito
09-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Terminator 2 and Robocop... T2 should move on.

lel

Mattrick
09-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Voted the ones with cybernetic organisms.

fernandito
09-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Dat cybernetic showdown.

needfulthings
09-13-2014, 10:52 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img902/6956/YpxQeB.jpg

DoctorDodge
09-13-2014, 11:59 AM
RoboCop and T2.

Heather19
09-14-2014, 04:57 AM
Back to Future and T2

mae
09-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Sorry, but T2 is not even a better film than T1 (not even nominated in our tournament). It's a great, fun action flick. A classic of its own. But not one of the top sci-fi films of all time.

fernandito
09-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Sorry, but T2 is not even a better film than T1 Yes it is.

It's a great, fun action flick. A classic of its own. But not one of the top sci-fi films of all time.
Yes it is.

mae
09-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Opinions and so on.

fernandito
09-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Touche :)

Ricky
09-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I like Terminator and Terminator 2 for different reasons, but I think I would say that I liked the first better since it was my first introduction to the series (in addition to its simplistic and edge-of-your-seat plot and great effects, among other things).

Mattrick
09-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Terminator is a better thriller. T2 is a better action film.

needfulthings
09-15-2014, 06:10 PM
1984 unauthorized U.K. edition & U.S. 1985 1st edition.
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/113/0bbHmw.jpg
James Cameron refused to sign this book. At the time the U.S. book was not yet published.

Ricky
09-15-2014, 07:12 PM

I think I would agree with that.

fernandito
09-16-2014, 08:21 AM
I like Terminator and Terminator 2 for different reasons, but I think I would say that I liked the first better since it was my first introduction to the series (in addition to its simplistic and edge-of-your-seat plot and great effects, among other things).
I can appreciate that. I've always considered T1 a type of slasher film, one that happens to star a futuristic, cybernetic killer as opposed to a deranged maniac. Its simplicity is actually a good thing.

T2 turns the sci fi up to 11.

webstar1000
09-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Sorry, but T2 is not even a better film than T1 (not even nominated in our tournament). It's a great, fun action flick. A classic of its own. But not one of the top sci-fi films of all time.

wow... what Terminators were you watching? lol

Jean
09-16-2014, 08:52 AM
that was my question, too

Terminator 2 is really really good. Voted it (and Back to the Future, of course)

mae
09-16-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm surprised that people find it shocking that I would find T1 is the better film. As a film, T1 is better. That means not just the visuals, but also acting, plot, script, cinematography, and so on. T2 is a more polished and more "fun" film, sure, but I side with those critics that feel T1 is the more important film: http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/the-criticwire-survey-the-better-terminator

webstar1000
09-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm surprised that people find it shocking that I would find T1 is the better film. As a film, T1 is better. That means not just the visuals, but also acting, plot, script, cinematography, and so on. T2 is a more polished and more "fun" film, sure, but I side with those critics that feel T1 is the more important film: http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/the-criticwire-survey-the-better-terminator

IMDB - T1 is 8.1/10
- T2 is 8.5/10

Now Rotten Tomatoes does have a 8% spread true... but you have to be literally the 1st person I have ever talked to that like the first better... do NOT get me wrong... it was a great movie but not better than 2. What is your thoughts on the new one coming next year? I am remaining very hopeful and praying for a great film.

mae
09-16-2014, 09:57 AM
That article I linked to above, couldn't agree more with Jonathan Lack's assessment.

mae
09-16-2014, 09:59 AM
What is your thoughts on the new one oming next year? I am remaining very hopeful and praying for a great film.

Well, since the two newest sequels were pretty terrible, hopes are very low. Maybe we'll be surprised.

webstar1000
09-16-2014, 10:13 AM
That article I linked to above, couldn't agree more with Jonathan Lack's assessment.

Very interesting read and true (the plot hole scenario). The polished look of T2 gets me every time. The music and power in some of the scenes is still exciting to me when it comes on tv or I happen to pop it in the DVD player... it will never die for me... much like the Matrix.

Odetta
09-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Terminator 2 and Robocop... T2 should move on.

lel

ditto

DoctorDodge
09-16-2014, 11:04 AM

Spot on. I remember watching Terminator after watching T2, and was completely shocked at how much more tense and even violent it was by comparison. Not that I'm saying it's better than T2, just that I really love how different each film is to one another. Like Alien and Aliens.

fernandito
09-16-2014, 11:19 AM
There you go. Perfect comparison. Both films in the same universe but approached much, much differently.

All things considered, T2 is the superior film though.

needfulthings
09-16-2014, 11:20 AM
It appears to me that ROBOCOP is washed up.:rolleyes2:
http://imageshack.com/a/img743/9219/RtgsmZ.jpg
He did say he was going to CLEAN up the town.:lol::lol:

Jean
09-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Spot on. I remember watching Terminator after watching T2, and was completely shocked at how much more tense and even violent it was by comparison. Not that I'm saying it's better than T2, just that I really love how different each film is to one another. Like Alien and Aliens.
I don't know or care which is which genre, but I do know that both Hamilton, Schwartz and the boy are amazing in T2, and that scene with red roses is one of the best ever.

fernandito
09-16-2014, 01:29 PM
That is indeed a fantastic scene, Jean. Another of my favorites is Sarah musing on the irony of a cyborg being the best and closest thing to a father John has ever had. I need to post that quote. Loading...

Watching John with the machine, it was suddenly so clear. The terminator, would never stop. It would never leave him, and it would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. And it would die, to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine, was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice.

This quote^ is like a poster boy for why I love science fiction. It raises so many interesting questions..

fernandito
09-16-2014, 01:30 PM
*double post*

fernandito
09-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Terminator 2 advances to the semi final!

pathoftheturtle
09-21-2014, 02:59 PM
That is indeed a fantastic scene, Jean. Another of my favorites is Sarah musing on the irony of a cyborg being the best and closest thing to a father John has ever had. I need to post that quote. Loading...

Watching John with the machine, it was suddenly so clear. The terminator, would never stop. It would never leave him, and it would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. And it would die, to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine, was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice.

This quote^ is like a poster boy for why I love science fiction. It raises so many interesting questions..
Comparing human to machine is one of the basic themes in science fiction. In the specific case of course, this passage overlooks the other side of the argument... although this is not the point. It is well put, given its viewpoint.

What's really impressive about T2 is how perfectly form and function synched up. How many movies of the same genre have since tried to insert a stand in for the core audience as apt as young John only to make a mess of it? So many points fit in this one film, it's hard not to suspect luck played a big part. Credit to the creators anyway.

fernandito
09-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Yes. Its just one of those works of art where everything comes together so seamlessly and each aspect seems to boost those around to establish a very high standard of quality.