http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c1/The_Matrix_Poster.jpg

2001 : A Space Odyssey
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/2001Style_B.jpg

Planet of the Apes
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/PlanetoftheapesPoster.jpg

Contact
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/75/Contact_ver2.jpg

X-Men : Days of Future Past
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/X-Men_Days_of_Future_Past_poster.jpg

Gattaca
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Gataca_Movie_Poster_B.jpg

Heather19
08-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Planet of the Apes is the only one to get my vote here.

mae
08-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Easy: Contact and Gattaca. Two utterly mind-blowing films.

frik
08-25-2014, 08:57 PM
There can only be one choice: 2001: A Space Odyssey

sk

mae
08-25-2014, 09:33 PM
How is The Matrix leading?

Mattrick
08-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Some actual shenanigans here. Becca and Merlin voted more than they should have.

fernandito
08-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Good catch.

Becca, Merlin - you are only allowed to vote for 2 films in Round 3. Please let me know which film you wish to remove your vote for.

Mattrick
08-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Hopefully I can get in 2001 before the poll closes.

mae
08-26-2014, 07:57 PM
If Contact gets eliminated....

Heather19
08-27-2014, 04:19 AM
Personally, I would never consider Contact as one of the top sci-first films. Planet of the Apes however definitely deserves to make it forward. I can't believe The Matrix is going to beat it :(

Mattrick
08-27-2014, 04:28 AM
The Matrix is going to beat out all these thoughtful films (except X-men)

mae
08-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Personally, I would never consider Contact as one of the top sci-first films.

Why not? I've seen it on many Top X Sci-Fi Movies of All Time lists, and personally, it's one of my favorite films of the 1990s of any genre. An amazing film: it's deep and philosophical, beautifully shot and exceptionally acted, and presents probably the best scene of first contact with a different life form.

Mattrick
08-27-2014, 06:40 AM
I preferred The Arrival though both are solid sci-fi films.

mae
08-27-2014, 07:34 AM
I just checked my 1990s rankings (here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17859)) and I've got Contact as the 11th best movie of the 1990s. Seems right.

divemaster
08-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Big fan of Contact. But my votes went to The Matrix and The Planet of the Apes.

I thought The Matrix was an outstanding film. (Full disclosure--I never watched any of the sequels so there was no subsequent crap to diminish the film in my mind).

fernandito
08-28-2014, 11:40 AM
The Matrix deserves its place among the top echelon of sci fi and I'm prepared to fight (vote) for it to the death!

FOR ZIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNN

Heather19
08-28-2014, 01:25 PM
You guys are going to have to explain what was so great about that film, because I absolutely hated it. I was so bored watching it.

Mattrick
08-28-2014, 05:52 PM
The Matrix is good but I just can't watch it anymore.

Merlin1958
08-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Big fan of Contact. But my votes went to The Matrix and The Planet of the Apes.

I thought The Matrix was an outstanding film. (Full disclosure--I never watched any of the sequels so there was no subsequent crap to diminish the film in my mind).

My personal favorite of the three films is "Reloaded" The Marovingion, the Freeway, upgrades... that all rocked to me.

mae
08-28-2014, 09:22 PM
The first Matrix was good but the sequels were terrible. But they all pale in comparison to the profound films like Contact and Gattaca.

Jean
08-28-2014, 11:27 PM
You guys are going to have to explain what was so great about that film, because I absolutely hated it. I was so bored watching it.ditto bears

pathoftheturtle
08-29-2014, 04:58 AM
Well, before The Matrix, philosophy professors had to explain questions of reality vs. virtual reality one classroom at a time.

fernandito
08-29-2014, 09:21 AM
The first Matrix was good but the sequels were terrible. But they all pale in comparison to the profound films like Contact and Gattaca.
I'm calling you out dawg.

How does Gattaca trump the Matrix?

mae
08-29-2014, 10:03 AM
It's a much better overall film. On every level. The Matrix is a cool-looking action film, could even be argued it's a superhero film. I like it, but it's not better than Gattaca, and certainly not Contact.

fernandito
08-29-2014, 10:10 AM
I know you think it's a much better film! lol

I mean specifics. What about Gattaca specifically?

mae
08-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not as gifted as some here in describing my thoughts and feelings about films. I just think the questions Gattaca poses and the way in which it does that is much deeper and better than in The Matrix. Gattaca is also more plausible, while The Matrix is less so. And setting that aside, as a film Gattaca is better. It's got a better cast, it looks beautiful the way it's shot. Andrew Niccol is a brilliant and underrated director. Amazing that this was his debut. Four other people voted for it so far. Maybe someone can offer a better and more analytical take.

Ben Staad
08-29-2014, 05:33 PM
I love Gattaca and think it should be more competitive in this group. I'm very surprised that it hasn't received a few more votes. Great movie, concept, and acting.

Ricky
08-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Voted for Gattaca. Contact is next on my list but I won't get to it until the poll closes.

Ben Staad
08-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Woo Hoo! :thumbsup:

Voted for Gattaca. Contact is next on my list but I won't get to it until the poll closes.

mae
09-01-2014, 06:12 AM
This is closing later today and I can't believe The Matrix is leading :cry:

In a perfect world at least Contact would be moving on...

fernandito
09-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Advancing :

The Matrix
2001 : A Space Odyssey

And luckily it didn't make a difference, but both Becca and Merlin accidentally voted for more than two and they each PM'd me separately to tell me that they wanetd to leave their votes with the group winners well before the poll closed, I just wasn't able to have the poll modified in time, say sorry.

We will modify the poll to deduct-1 point from both Gattaca and Contact.

Iwritecode
09-02-2014, 08:07 AM
How is The Matrix leading?

This is closing later today and I can't believe The Matrix is leading :cry:

I can’t believe that you are surprised that the Matrix is leading. This was THE movie that everyone was talking about back when it first came out.

fernandito
09-02-2014, 08:10 AM
It's ok IWC, those people took the blue pill.

mae
09-03-2014, 09:30 AM
You guys must not have seen Contact, cause it's fucking mindblowing.

fernandito
09-03-2014, 09:59 AM
I confess that I have not. Don't worry though, it's on my 1000 page movie to do list :lol:

Merlin1958
09-03-2014, 09:21 PM

I don't know about "fucking mindblowing", but it is class "A" Science Fiction for sure.

Jean
09-04-2014, 10:08 AM

ok, ok, bears hear you! downloading now

Still Servant
09-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Contact is very good, but I wouldn't call it mind-blowing. Some might run the risk of not sticking with Contact. It has its fair share of slow moments.

I personally loved The Matrix. It's one of those rare films that I wanted to watch back immediately after it ended. It also had "classic" written all over it.

If "cool" is all you take away from The Matrix, it may be time to watch it again. There are so many themes going on in that movie.

pathoftheturtle
09-05-2014, 05:36 AM
Movie promos sometimes declare "It will blow your mind!" while showing multiple explosions, but I would not blame pablo if somebody expected lots of firefights -- I'd blame those promos. Martial arts may be exciting, and may even have somewhat surprising moments, but can they shake your beliefs? Change you as a person? Actually, just being kept on the edge of your seat for two hours is what is no big deal. It's easily forgotten. I mean, The Matrix specifically has some of both, but Contact, slow or not, hits pretty deep.

Odetta
09-05-2014, 08:14 AM
I really loved Gattaca... it has a really artsy spin for a sci-fi movie!

But I did not love it more than The Matrix

and Contact???? Really?

I wouldn't rate it past OK. The ending is great, but maybe I just have a problem with Jodie Foster

Merlin1958
09-05-2014, 07:27 PM

and Contact???? Really?

I wouldn't rate it past OK. The ending is great, but maybe I just have a problem with Jodie Foster

Foolish human female, "Contact" was grade A Sci-Fi!!! Carl Sagan, Jodie Foster and Mathew McConaughy doesn't take his shirt off!! LOL LOL

Odetta
09-08-2014, 08:24 PM

and Contact???? Really?

Foolish human female, "Contact" was grade A Sci-Fi!!! Carl Sagan, Jodie Foster and Mathew McConaughy doesn't take his shirt off!! LOL LOL

Hmm... Maybe if he HAD, I'd have liked it more! ;)

Merlin1958
09-08-2014, 08:34 PM

and Contact???? Really?

You slut!! LOL J/K

...And you started it!! LOL

Mattrick
09-08-2014, 08:40 PM
but maybe I just have a problem with Jodie Foster

I understand this. I really think she is a really good actress and her work in Polanski's Carnage was the best I've seen role I've seen her in. But for some reason I don't quite understand I just don't want to watch her. I mean, Jodie Foster isn't someone I'm like 'oh wicked, Jodie Foster is in it BALLIN!', it's more like 'awww shit, Jodie Foster is in this', and I've no idea why lol.

Mattrick
09-08-2014, 08:43 PM
One of my friends would vomit seeing this result. He loves Planet of the Apes and Charlton "Chuck" Heston is his favourite actor of all time lol. In that ten films that made an impact of his life one Facebook I tagged him in, three were Chuck films lol

Odetta
09-17-2014, 02:58 PM

and Contact???? Really?

You slut!! LOL J/K

...And you started it!! LOL

It's ok... I am a slut *smooch*

Odetta
09-17-2014, 03:00 PM
but maybe I just have a problem with Jodie Foster

I understand this. I really think she is a really good actress and her work in Polanski's Carnage was the best I've seen role I've seen her in. But for some reason I don't quite understand I just don't want to watch her. I mean, Jodie Foster isn't someone I'm like 'oh wicked, Jodie Foster is in it BALLIN!', it's more like 'awww shit, Jodie Foster is in this', and I've no idea why lol.

EXACTLY! I wonder why that is