PDA

View Full Version : The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

OchrisO
05-06-2007, 11:50 AM
So, I just got back from watching Spiderman 3. I had heard varying bad reports ranging from "I was disappointed" to "Don't waste your money." However, I actually greatly enjoyed the movie. Being the huge comic nerd that I am, I generally pick apart movies in typical fanboy fashion, and there were issues that i had with this one. I'll put the rest in spoiler tags for thos who haven't seen it yet.

I was a bit disappointed that they brough Gwen Stacy into the story because in the comics, Peter dates her, and she dies before he even meets Mary Jane. I was also a bit annoyed that they didn't kill her. In the whole scene where Spiderman was saving her, I was waiting for him to grab her with the webbing and it break her neck. However, Bryce Dallas Howard is beautiful, so I was ok with her being in the movie. :)

I thought they did a really good job with Sandman. Flint Marko/William Baker was always the reluctant criminal, and they portrayed that well. I also really liked Thomas hayden Church's potrayal of him.

One thing that was somewhat corney was the portrayal of Peter when under the influence of the symbiote. However, i think the corney stuff, like him walking down the street pointing at all the girls and such was justified. In the comics, the suit makes Peter really cocky, and alternately a dark, brooding asshole. When he is being cocky, we have to remember that he is still peter Parker, which means that he is still a huge fucking dork. His idea of cool and confident would be quite different that the normal idea of it.
He does seem a bit "emo" at times, but he was very much like that in the comics, and that was stuff written before the modern concept of "emo" even existed, so i am ok with it.

Some people that I have talked to were annoyed that Harry ended up helping Peter, but as I recall, though my memory is a bit fuzzy, there was a point in the comics where Harry, being a very mentally unstable person, goes good for a while, and is friends with Peter again, only to completely snap again later, being worse than he was before. My only issue with the movie was that they killed him before he could snap again bringing the character full circle. Also, it seems that Venom/ Eddie Brock went out entirely too easy, but I don't think that he is really dead. Topher Grace did a good job playing him, though he looked more like Ultimate Venom than the regular continuity Venom, but then again, they didn't do the whole Secret Wars story line either, so, they sort of mixed the two continuities anyway. I just wish he would have had more screen time than he did.

Overall, there were things that bothered me, but almost all comic movies have stuff that bother me, because I pick them apart with fanboy zeal. The only comic movies that I haven't had a huge list of issues with were Sin City and 300, because they both used the Frank Miller comics for story and in some cases actual storyboards. So, I have become used to seeing everything changed around, and putting that stuff aside, I thought that it was quite a good movie.

Randall Flagg
05-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure if I want too.
The reveiwer I trust at The San Francisco Chronicle said:

f the first "Spider-Man" had a script as weak and muddled as the one for "Spider-Man 3," it's hard to believe it ever would have been made. But with the series a worldwide success -- and especially coming off "Spider-Man 2," which was superb -- the filmmakers can afford a weak entry without having to worry about being punished. The only ones who'll be punished are audiences.
"Spider-Man 2" was a textbook example of how to make a sequel: Deepen it, make it funnier, give it more heart and come up with a strong villain and a good story. "Spider Man 3," by contrast, shows how not to make a sequel. The film takes three bad stories and tries to fashion a narrative out of them. It can't be done.

Full review here:

Mick Lasalle SF Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/05/03/DDGE7PJ9TN1.DTL&type=movies)

sarajean
05-06-2007, 01:34 PM
i wish this thread was in my forum so that i could edit the title.

could someone take care of that? it should be Spider-Man.

thanks!

:D

Jorge
05-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Gotcha covered, SJ. :)

sarajean
05-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Gotcha covered, SJ. :)

:huglove:

thanks, dear whore-hay.

Fall of Gilead
05-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I thought the movie was awesome. I totally got a kick out of the part detailed in your spoiler #3.

Matt
05-06-2007, 03:25 PM
WOOHOO!!

I am glad its cool, I love the eye candy. We're going to go see it next weekend with the kids, belated birthday present for me.

Thanks so much for the spoiler tags Chris.

ZoNeSeeK
05-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I was actually a little put off by the 2nd one so Im not sure about seeing the third one, but people ive spoken to have said its worth it. Maybe I should watch the 2nd one again.

LadyGan
05-07-2007, 12:50 AM
I thought it great as well!

Patrick
05-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet, so I wanted to commend OchrisO on his excellent use of the spoiler box (chainsaw?) function.

Frunobulax
05-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Glad to see the spoiler tags work. I didn't enjoy the first Spider[-]Man film, and saw the second on on TV and thought it was pretty dull. 3 will be for late-nite TBS viewing.

John Blaze
05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
i thought 1 and 2 were awesome, and 3 was ok. The problem with it is the same problem we get with SK movies. They can't take a 12 hour story and make it a 3 hour movie, because the viewers lose alot of important shit. I mean, 3 different villains, trying to fit in their backgrounds, motivations, and parker's love interests storyline, it was just too much to handle.

towerguard
05-09-2007, 11:35 PM
I turned to my friend during the movie and said "hey, venom turned Spiderman into Trent Reznor"
I liked the movie quite a bit.

Matt
05-10-2007, 06:29 AM
We get to go see it Saturday night in the big new theater they built 50 miles away. :lol:

VolsToTheWall
05-13-2007, 02:19 AM
I liked it, but not as much as I did the first two, for the reason that others have stated, just a case of stuffing too much stuff in without the neccessary build-up time.

Bethany
05-13-2007, 05:58 AM
For some reason, I thought Peter only had spiderlike abilities--the web spinning, climbing, etc. At what point did he become invincible and be able to withstand those wicked beatings? Last time I tried, spiders squish pretty easily.

Aaron
05-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Spiders squish easily when paired against a human's foot, but that would be the equivalent of the Empire State Building stepping on Spiderman. My understanding is that he has all of the powers of the spider, hence his great endurance and agility, as well as his toughness. He would be worthless as a superhero if you could just punch him in the nose and take his lunch money.

Matt
05-13-2007, 08:13 AM
:lol:

Yep, spiders can fall from great distances and survive a lot of "scaled" punishment to their little bodies.

We saw it yesterday and I was a bit...ummm...meh.

but I think that may have been the theater because I don't like watching a movie with weird people. :ninja:

**gets out his syringe full of bleach**

Bethany
05-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Spiders squish easily when paired against a human's foot, but that would be the equivalent of the Empire State Building stepping on Spiderman. My understanding is that he has all of the powers of the spider, hence his great endurance and agility, as well as his toughness. He would be worthless as a superhero if you could just punch him in the nose and take his lunch money.

I think Marko's big ass hand made out of the half the crap and dirt of New York would be the equivalent of the Empire State Building falling on you--especially when pounded against you repeatedly.

fernandito
05-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Anyone else think that Bryce Dallas Howard is the hottest woman on Earth after seeing her as Gwen Stacy? :wub: x19

Matt
05-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Compared to MJ? Hell yeah. MJ looked a little like a crack whore in this one.

fernandito
02-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Screenwriter James Vanderbilt has confirmed Spider-Man 4!

http://movies.ign.com/articles/849/849075p1.html

-----

Who will direct? Will Maguire be back? Will Dunst? If not, what actors should replace them? And who should be the next villian?

Let's hear it!

ATG
02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Dunst is so hot.

fernandito
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM
You think so? I think she's average, at best.

ATG
02-03-2008, 12:01 AM
mmmm kristen...
http://lafarandula.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/kristen.jpg

funky dredd
02-03-2008, 07:22 AM
*drools*

MonteGss
02-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Tobey will be back. I would imagine that he wouldn't want to see somebody else playing his role. At least I hope so.
Dunst we'll have to see if they even right her in this one. Spidey has other love interests, right?
I'm not sure who I want to be villian but I'm sure I don't want to see Sand Man.

Mattrick
02-03-2008, 09:49 AM
This was the situation:

Dunst wasn't doing it unless Mcguire and Raimi were back
McGuire wasn't doing it unless Dunst and Raimi were back
Raimi wasn't doing it unless McGuire and Dunst were back.

Last I heard, McGuire and Raimi agreed to do a fourth one. I love Kirtsten but wouldn't miss her in the series.

All the same, Spiderman 3 was worse than X-men 3 and at the moment, could care less if they make a 4th. If it's not the best one made it will be a disappointment.

You think so? I think she's average, at best.

That's what makes her so attractive.

Wuducynn
02-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Is Spiderman 3 worth watching? I've heard such divided opinions on it.

Mattrick
02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I'll tell you this. Last year, I saw Spiderman 3 on opening day. A few weeks later I wanted to see 28 Weeks Later but my best friend hadn't seen Spiderman 3 yet. He came to see Weeks with me but was upset for a bit we saw that instead of Spiderman 3.

What's the point of this?

A couple weeks ago he watched Spiderman 3, then thanked me for convincing him to see 28 Weeks Later instead. Spiderman 3 is easily the worst of the trilogy.

Philzilla
02-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I'll tell you this. Last year, I saw Spiderman 3 on opening day. A few weeks later I wanted to see 28 Weeks Later but my best friend hadn't seen Spiderman 3 yet. He came to see Weeks with me but was upset for a bit we saw that instead of Spiderman 3.

What's the point of this?

A couple weeks ago he watched Spiderman 3, then thanked me for convincing him to see 28 Weeks Later instead. Spiderman 3 is easily the worst of the trilogy.

Agreed, which was a big disappointment for me. The first movie was good, the second was amazing, easily one of the best superhero films ever, and then Spider-Man 3 which was a huge come down for the series. To much going on, and Venom. Meh

Fall of Gilead
02-03-2008, 06:08 PM
I would love to see them tackle Mysterio. Or maybe just the whole Sinister Six.

fernandito
02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Personally, I would love to see them tackle The Scorpion.

John Blaze
02-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Personally, I would love to see them tackle The Scorpion.

Agreed, the Scorpion and that Doctor that turns into a giant lizard. Best combo there.

RUBE
02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
OR... Maybe they should just stop before the Spider-man series turns into the original Batman series. Batman and Robin and Batman Forever were horrible.

Of course, this being said, I would probably still go watch another one.

Jimmy
02-06-2008, 08:12 AM
I'd prefer if they'd cancel any ideas for a Spidey 4 and just include him in the Avengers movie they're doing.

Matt
02-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I bet the will (and must) now do a "super hero crossover" type movie at some point.

I wouldn't mind Spidey in with the Avengers.

Jimmy
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
I bet the will (and must) now do a "super hero crossover" type movie at some point.

I wouldn't mind Spidey in with the Avengers.

They are, and both are being released in May and June of this year.

Iron Man will contain NicK Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) with an unknown female (Hillary Swank) accompanying him. They're in the movie to ask Iron Man to join The Avengers.

Then a month later, Nick Fury, the unknown female and Tony Stark will appear in the new Hulk movie.

As it stands "Avengers" will have a cast of Robert Downey Jr. Sam Jackson, Hillary Swank and Edward Norton, plus whoever else is collected as they build towards the Avengers movie.

Jon Favreau has already thrown his hat into the ring to direct The Avengers.

The Thor movie is in pre-production with Matthew Vaughn directing and he's already stated that seeds like the previous ones I mentioned will be planted in Thor for "Avengers" as well.

RUBE
02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Interesting... I wonder if any of the characters will get dumped if their individual movies don't do well.

Mattrick
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Are they seriously doing a superhero cross over movie? God, shoot me now. Do they think taking a dozen superheros from their own respective, sub par movies and throwing them together will make a good movie? Oh wait, It will make good money so what the fuck does quality matter?

fernandito
02-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think it could happen, at least , not with the original actors. Too many A-list stars, the movie would have to have a HUGE fucking budget.

Mattrick
02-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Well, they did the Ocean movies. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight are loaded with talent, a couple oscar winners and four or five nominees. Ocean takes the cake, though; Clooney, Pitt, Damon, Roberts, Cheadle, Pacino, Zeta-Jones, Garcia...all must've been freakin' expensive.

RUBE
02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't think it could happen, at least , not with the original actors. Too many A-list stars, the movie would have to have a HUGE fucking budget.

Besides Samuel Jackson, what "A-list" star was listed above. Downey? Not anymore. Swank? She is not quite there yet. Norton? Maybe for the few months right after Fight Club. Besides, if they write it into their contract for the other movies then they might not have a choice. (See long drawn out fight over Aquaman 2 on Entourage.)

fernandito
05-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Spidey 4 and 5 in the Works?
Sequels may be shot back-to-back.
by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, May 16, 2008 - Buzz on the Net is that Sony has been working Zodiac scribe James Vanderbilt like a proverbial dog on Spider-Man 4, with the scripter now having completed a working draft of the superhero sequel.

Cinnematical.com have reported the news, and, so their source claims: "The story arc has encompassed two films, making Spider-Man 5 shootable at the same time. The studio saw dollar signs and is in the process of reworking his deal to snatch up the story arc."

Interesting news indeed. At present it seems none of this is confirmed, and the studio certainly has a job gathering up the likes of Toby Maguire, Kirstin Dunst and Sam Raimi (if he chooses to don the directorial megaphone once again) together for a back-to-back shooting schedule.

How's this for an incentive though: 2007's Spider-Man 3, despite a mauling from many critics and fans, still made an estimated $800 million at the worldwide box office.

More news when we have it.

Odetta
05-16-2008, 01:48 PM
*dons bullet proof vest*

I find Maguire Mr. Lame-y Lamerston!

Matt
05-16-2008, 01:55 PM

I think he sucked in the 3rd movie for sure. Nothing about that was good imo. But as Peter Parker, he seems to have it down okay.

I think Mary Jane is a bad cast. She is looking more and more like a crank whore. :(

fernandito
05-16-2008, 02:01 PM
The only good thing about Spider Man 3 was Bryce Dallas Howard/Gwen Stacy...

:wub: :wub: :wub:

CyberGhostface
05-17-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't think Spider-Man 3 was necessarily *bad*, but it was the weakest out of all three. I'm not too crazy about 4 + 5 either, unless they really do something new and fresh with the franchise.

John_and_Yoko
05-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I kind of liked Spider-Man 3 myself--the only problem as I saw it was that they were taking material that ought to have been spread out over the course of two movies that length and cramming it into one.

That plus the fact that they stretched out some parts too much and crammed others even further.... :P

But storywise I kind of liked it--besides being epic, I liked the dualities involved, like Harry's hatred of Peter for "killing" his father, and Peter's hatred of Flint Marko for killing his uncle, that kind of thing.... Also how both the performance enhancers Harry took and the symbiote that bonded with Peter brought out their dark sides, but both were able to overcome those.

I was surprised they were able to fit Venom into the storyline, though, and more so that he was killed off at the end....

Heather19
05-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I still have yet to see the third one.

CyberGhostface
05-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Oh yeah, the third film still had a lot of great stuff, especially the arcs for Harry and Sandman.

As for Venom...out of ALL the characters in the film series so far, he was the only one who I thought didn't get the character down.

I originally heard that Ben Kingsley was supposed to play the Vulture, but that got overruled...

John_and_Yoko
05-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Oh yeah, the third film still had a lot of great stuff, especially the arcs for Harry and Sandman.

As for Venom...out of ALL the characters in the film series so far, he was the only one who I thought didn't get the character down.

I originally heard that Ben Kingsley was supposed to play the Vulture, but that got overruled...

I'd agree with you about Venom--as for the other characters I'm not sure.... Although Spider-Man is easily my favorite superhero, I don't know nearly as much about the Spider-Man universe as you might expect me to....

ZoNeSeeK
05-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Screenwriter James Vanderbilt has confirmed Spider-Man 4!

http://movies.ign.com/articles/849/849075p1.html

-----

Who will direct? Will Maguire be back? Will Dunst? If not, what actors should replace them? And who should be the next villian?

Let's hear it!

They are getting an excel spreadsheet to direct, with a huge focus on studio profit margins and keeping tabs on how much shit the public will actually pay for and swallow while they can still get away with it.

Maguire is in for a mainboard circuit overhaul (his synthetic facial tissue is starting to wear out and the masses are squirming uncomfortably). Dunst will most likely be returning for the fourth film and has also signed on for the 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th, 16th, 17th, 21st, 22nd, 24th and 30th installments, although her soul is on a cruise off coast of San Jose with her mother.

Some fantastic new Random Script Generators have replaced the "Writers" used on the first three films, but the Studio is confidant that handing out free gelantinous grey cubes that taste like MacDonalds Big Macs at every screening will distract The Public enough from noticing.

All in all, it should be a great success!

*hugs*

fernandito
05-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Spidey 4 Release Buzz
When might the wallcrawler return to cinemas?
by Jim Vejvoda

May 23, 2008 - Although it's not set in stone, it appears that fans could expect to see Spider-Man 4 in theaters within the next three years. Whether or not director Sam Raimi and stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst remains to be seen.

According to IESB, Marvel's vice chairman Peter Cuneo advised the press during a conference call yesterday that the future of Spider-Man 4 is "up to Sony" with the most likely release date for the film being in either 2010 or 2011, although Cuneo added "we can't speak for them and I think that we don't know."

Cuneo added that Sony hopes to make Spidey 4 "within a reasonable timeframe" and that they "may be looking at some issues with the cast and so on, I think they have to make some decisions."

Zodiac screenwriter James Vanderbilt has been hired to script Spider-Man 4.

fernandito
06-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Iron Man 2 Start Date
Sequel slated for 2010 bow.
by Jim Vejvoda

June 9, 2008 - With Iron Man proving to be one of the most successful movies this summer, both critically and commercially, Marvel Studios has already slated the inevitable sequel for an April 2010 release. But when will it begin filming?

Coming Soon points out an interview that Iron Man actor Terrence Howard, who played USAF Col. Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes, did with Military.com, wherein it's revealed that Iron Man 2 will start shooting in March 2009.

No word yet if the sequel will delve into Tony Stark's alcoholism, or if Rhodey will step into the armor in Stark's absence as he did in the comics.

No talent deals have been inked yet, but Robert Downey, Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, and Howard, as well as director Jon Favreau, are all expected to reprise their respective duties for the sequel.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm already [--] close to wetting my pants at the very idea.

John Blaze
06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
noice!

he did say "not today"

theBeamisHome
06-10-2008, 08:23 AM
yay!! we want War Machine!! Rhodey has to put on the armour... he said he would... sort of.. I thought they were gonna do an Avengers movie.... ahh ok nevermind... looked it up they're coming out within a year of each other... cool

Ves'Ka Gan
06-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I just read an article saying that Marvel is opting to do the sequel WITHOUT Favreau as the director. This sort of burns me. I think he did an excellent job with the first one...

John Blaze
06-11-2008, 12:20 AM
he did an AWESOME job with the first one.

why the fuck would they want to replace him? cheap fucks.

theBeamisHome
06-11-2008, 04:13 AM
noooooooooooooo

fernandito
06-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Where did you see that at, Ves? I think it's highly unlikely that they'll replace Favreu, given the overwhelming amount of positive feedback that this movie received. Also, he already stated that he would be more than happy to come back and direct the 2nd movie, and I think he's already penning the script.

Link?

Ves'Ka Gan
06-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Let me go back to the link on my facebook....someone messaged it to me...

Ves'Ka Gan
06-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Ok, I apologize. I read the blurb my friend had written about the article and mistook it for part of the article the way it showed up on my screen. It seems like more here-say and gossip-mongering now that I read it.

http://joblo.com/favs-less-iron-man-2 (http://joblo.com/favs-less-iron-man-2)

John Blaze
06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
*phew*

Ves'Ka Gan
06-13-2008, 05:03 AM
I guess if not for the gossip we wouldn't have anything to talk about until 2010 except Stark's role in the Hulk....

fernandito
06-13-2008, 07:34 AM

I'm pretty sure that War Machine is going to at least get some screen time in Iron Man deuce. And that was a nice little tease in the first movie when Rhodes looks at the armor and says "next time".

fernandito
06-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Iron Man 2 Villain Buzz
Will it be the Mandarin or the Hulk?
by Jim Vejvoda

June 16, 2008 - Although he has not yet been signed to direct the sequel, Iron Man director Jon Favreau has been blogging who fans might expect to see menace Shellhead in Iron Man 2.

In a posting at his MySpace blog, Favreau revealed that "The Mandarin is Iron Man's nemesis and will be incorporated in the sequel. It's true that I am apprehensive about how he is to be presented. In the tech based modern world that we created for (Iron Man), a Fu Manchu style villain with magical/alien tech rings would seem out of place."

Favreau added, "There were early drafts of (Iron Man) where the Mandarin was the main villain, so we've already explored the character to some extent. I am curious to see how he has been treated in his latest books and how that might influence our direction."

He also said, "I've already mentioned War Machine and Mandarin. I have some ideas, but I really need to sit down with Downey and the Marvel guys before we say much more." And when asked about the chances of Obadiah Stane returning (SPOILER ALERT) despite his apparent death at the end of the first film, Favreau quipped, "Stane's death? Do characters ever really die in Marvel? Isn't it like a soap opera?"

When asked about this report that claimed the Hulk might pop up in Iron Man 2 (just as Tony Stark did in The Incredible Hulk), Favreau replied, "There are no plans to do so

educatedlady
06-16-2008, 04:59 PM
So I was reading on a comic message board that Jon Favreau thinks a 2010 release seems unrealistic. I'm slightly bummed to hear that.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-18-2008, 09:52 PM
So I was reading on a comic message board that Jon Favreau thinks a 2010 release seems unrealistic. I'm slightly bummed to hear that.
Downey was on the View awhile back & when they said it was slated to come out in 2010, then asked when they were going to start filming he laughed and said "Apparenly right now...I am going to leave here and go directly to filming".

It does seem soon considering Downey has a lot of stuff slated between now & then, including talks to play Hef in the Playboy movie. (I for one would LOVE to see that).

Jimmy
06-19-2008, 11:21 AM
2010 will be near impossible to pull off unless Marvel plans on dropping everyone from the principal cast and crew and that's not going to happen. Of course, this is the same company that had Spidey make a deal with the devil, so who knows.

Mandarin and his 10 rings are very easy to deal with. All they have to do is make them tech instead of alien.

fernandito
07-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Favreau Inks Iron Man 2 Deal?
Negotiations with Marvel successful.

UK, July 10, 2008 - The saga over whether Jon Favreau will direct Iron Man 2 has been rumbling on almost since the movie made a packet on its opening weekend.

Fans were in an uproar after word came out – fuelled by Favreau himself on his MySpace page – that Marvel may have been stalling over an improved deal for the director.

It seems now however, if Nikki Finkel at Deadline Hollywood Daily is to be believed, that the two camps have reached a deal for Favreau to helm the sequel, after Marvel offered him a "definitely" richer offer.

The movie's April 30, 2010 scheduled release date would still seem to be questionable, especially with Downey Jnr. signing up for Warner's Sherlock Holmes today, but Favreau's (almost) definite involvement removes the most nagging doubt over the future of the franchise.

theBeamisHome
07-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Downey Jr. is gonna be Sherlock Holmes??? hilarious

Ves'Ka Gan
07-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Sherlock Holmes?? I mean, I'm rooting for his comeback & everything---but that doesn't sound like the right role for him.

Then again, he would look pretty cool with a handlebar mustache and those funny hats Sherlock Holmes wore.

fernandito
07-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Iron Man 2 Scribe Announced
Unexpected choice for superhero sequel.
by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

UK, July 16, 2008 - The Iron Man juggernaut is picking up momentum, with a writer now in final negotiations to pen the big-budget sequel.

Justin Theroux, best known for his acting roles in Mulholland Dr. and Six Feet Under, has recently made the move into screenwriting with the forthcoming action comedy Tropic Thunder. And Paramount Pictures must be pleased with his efforts as, together with Marvel, they are prepared to hand Theroux the reigns on one of their biggest movie franchises.

According to Variety, Marvel is also close to tying up a deal for Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. to again direct and star respectively.

Iron Man 2 is set to hit screens worldwide on April 30, 2010, and rest assured we'll have more news on the sequel as and when it breaks.

fernandito
07-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Raimi confirms Spider-Man 4 at the San Diego Comic Con:

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/745715/spider-man-4/videos/sdcc08_rami_spider4.html

cozener
08-01-2008, 09:04 PM
I've always been more of a Batman fan but I'd like to see Carnage as the next Spidey villian. He's sort of like Spiderman's Joker. At least a big to do was made of Carnage and the Joker's similarities in one of the dc/marvel crossover comics.

But then people might be over the whole symbiote thing.

fernandito
08-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Shouldn't Venom be considered Spidey's 'Joker'?

cozener
08-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Shouldn't Venom be considered Spidey's 'Joker'?
According to this comic book I have...nope. While Venom might be Spidey's main nemesis (I actually don't know enough about Spidey to say if thats true or not. You tell me) Carnage and Joker have similar philosphies and general mindsets. They both like to kill en masse and they both, as Carnage says in the comic "get the joke" which is that "life is utterly meaningless...totally absurd and madness is the only sane response". Also, the Wikipedia article on Carnage (if Wikipedia is to be trusted on this issue) says that Cletus Kasady is modelled on the Joker.

Incidentally, in this crossover they fail to get along in the end because of, as Joker says "a question of style". Carnage believes that the joy of killing is in the immediacy...the pain and anguish that he is inflicting while he's doing it. Joker feels that the fun is in the theater of it as seen in the execution of his grandiose wacked out schemes (which Carnage refers to as "stupid plans"). They end up trying to kill one another...Carnage tries to kill the Joker because of this difference of opinion (not to mention the Joker's flippant rejection of Carnage's friendship after Carnage insults his scheme to poison Gotham with a drug that will drive everyone temporarilly insane) The Joker attempts to kill Carnage because he is about to kill his Batman.

fernandito
09-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Spidey 4 and 5 Set?
Raimi, Maguire may shoot sequels back-to-back.
by Jim Vejvoda

September 5, 2008 - Spider-Man director Sam Raimi and star Tobey Maguire have reportedly reached deals to reprise their respective duties for not only Spider-Man 4 but a fifth installment in Sony's web-slinger franchise as well. Furthermore, the studio is mulling filming the sequels back-to-back a la Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings in an effort to minimize the problems in reassembling the cast.

According to Deadline Hollywood Daily, Maguire's deal was only very recently made as a source for the site claims that Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal had been spending the last few weeks looking for possible replacements. No deal has been made yet for Kirsten Dunst, but DHD insists the studio won't recast the role of Mary Jane Watson. However, there will be a second female role included this time .

As for the villains, DHD columnist Nikki Finke reports "Sony is taking its time officially hiring the movie's villain since principal photography doesn't start on Spider-Man 4 until next fall because of the recently postponed May 2011 release. I am told, however, that 'once you find out who the villain is, you'll know who's playing it.' That should lead to speculation that Dylan Baker's character of Dr. Curt Connors will ultimately turn into The Lizard as he did in the comic books." DHD adds that Daniel Gillies, who portrayed John (the future Man-Wolf) Jameson in Spider-Man 2, might also be a contender.

The site adds that the next Spidey sequels won't be as dark as Spider-Man 3 or The Dark Knight. "Peter Parker has no dark side himself. In Spider-Man 3 it was the black costume. Peter Parker's struggle is about sacrifice," DHD's source said.

fernandito
10-15-2008, 11:58 AM
End of the Rhodes for Howard
Cheadle replaces him on Iron Man 2.

UK, October 14, 2008 - Back when Iron Man came out, Terrence Howard was very excited about the direction his character -- Tony Stark sidekick Jim Rhodes -- would take in the sequel, telling us he was already thinking about how he would play the character in Iron Man 2.

Well it seems all that talk was in vain, with the actor now dropping out of the movie due, according to The Hollywood Reporter, to "financial differences, among other reasons."

Marvel has quickly stepped in, hiring Don Cheadle to replace the departing actor. He's probably most famous for his awful attempts at a cockney accent in the Ocean films, but has serious acting credentials having nabbed an Oscar nomination for Hotel Rwanda.

The role is set to be greatly expanded in Iron Man 2, with all the sequel buzz suggesting [possible spoiler ahead] that Rhodes will become War Machine next time around.

Filming on the sequel will get under way next year.

Arthur Heath
10-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Im excited about Don Cheadle, he's the man! You know with him playing Rhodes, he'll probably get more screen time. Can you say War Machine!

fernandito
10-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I can't picture him as War Machine, I just can't! I think Howard was perfect for the role.

Empath of the White
10-15-2008, 01:28 PM
I'd like to see a gradual change of pace and have the filmmakers bringing in some more fantastic elements, like Fing Fang Foom. I'd really like to see Iron Man take on a giant dragon. They could even base Foom's movie look off that comic series Favreau started. I think Mandarin and FFF would be a good combination. It'll also be interesting to see how Tony's revelation affects his every day life.

fernandito
10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Raimi Talks Spidey Sequels
Director spills some beans on films 4 and 5.
by Jim Vejvoda

October 16, 2008 - Although she recently expressed interest in reprising her role as Mary Jane Watson, it sounds like Kirsten Dunst isn't such a sure thing for the next two Spider-Man sequels, at least given the language of director Sam Raimi's most recent statements on the matter.

Raimi told MTV that he'd "love to work with (Dunst) again" but added "I hope she'll be written into it. I couldn't imagine making one without her, and I think she's an important part of the movies."

"I don't have a script yet, but production would start probably by March of 2010, I'm guessing," the director explained. "It sounds like a long time away, but we need a script first, and a lot of pre-production has to take place." He added that no decision has been made yet about shooting Spider-Man 4 and 5 back-to-back, and stressed that studio boss Amy Pascal would make the final decision regarding the shooting schedule.

Raimi was coy about whether Dylan Baker, who has appeared in the last three installments as Dr. Curt Connors, would finally appear as the villainous Lizard. Raimi said that they "just don't know who the villain is yet," but suggested that the storylines for the fourth and fifth films would most likely be intertwined.

flaggwalkstheline
10-27-2008, 05:57 AM
i like spiderman 3 mostly except that they turned my favorite brain-eating, superhero stomping, protector of the innocent: venom Into a pansy:nope:
I hope they replace toby and do a 3 film clone saga epic

flaggwalkstheline
10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
ok so i think that the 4th spiderman film should replace toby w/ a younger actor and begin a 3 film clone saga epic! (im one of the only ppl on the planet who LOVES the clone saga and think ben reilly shouldnt have died)
thoughts? comments?

fernandito
10-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey Flagg - I'm going to merge this with the Spiderman discussion thread, since that's the official thread for Spidey movies.

And I have to disagree with you, I think that Toby should be recast if only to give the movies a sense of continuity (sp?)

fernandito
11-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Why Did Marvel Recast Rhodes in Iron Man 2?
Source:Entertainment Weekly November 1, 2008

Why did Marvel Studios recast Col. Jim Rhodes in Iron Man 2? The surprise announcement that Don Cheadle was taking over the role from Terrence Howard in the sequel (and now The Avengers) left many fans wondering what happened. Entertainment Weekly has an article possibly explaining how this came to be:

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')

valtr0n
11-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Regardless of difficulties, pay, etc, Howard should've been kept on.

There isn't much worse that can happen to a movie, especially a franchise with the potential that the first Iron Man gave, than recasting for a sequel.

razz
11-02-2008, 04:09 PM
i just finished watching Iron Man :clap:
I also read that War Machine will be in it. Isn't War Machine Rhodes, and he fills in for what's-his-face when he goes all emo/depressed/alchaholic?

valtr0n
11-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Ideally, if they do it right, that will be the story, razz.

Stark's alcoholism gets the better of him and he can no longer be Iron Man. Rhodes takes over as War Machine. Then, in the third movie, Rhodes is out of control, Iron Man has to fight his alcoholism and become Iron Man all over again to stop Rhodes.

theBeamisHome
11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
i didn't really like Howard's portrayal of Rhodes tho in Iron Man... and I don't think he could really do War Machine justice... i hate when movies change actors mid-sequel, but i have to agree with them on this one.

fernandito
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Really? I thought he did a great job as Rhodes. Despite whatever might or might not have happened behind the scenes, I think Howard and Downey Jr. had great onscreen chemistry - they really did act like long time friends.

theBeamisHome
11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
i just didn't get leader of the air force thing from him... he and downey jr. were good together, but that lil soft voice and he just acted like a bitch to me.. *shrug*

fernandito
11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, he sounds like a bitch, Don Cheadle looks like a little bitch, so it all cancels each other out! :lol:

theBeamisHome
11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
did you see Traitor? or whatever his newest movie was?

fernandito
11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
ron Man 2 Script Update
Scribe on replacing Howard and The Avengers.

UK, November 24, 2008 - Tropic Thunder scribe Justin Theroux is one of the writers to have joined the Iron Man 2 writing team, and he spoke about the superhero sequel to UGO.com.

Apparently the first draft of the script is already done, with Theroux and his fellow scribes discussing further ideas.

"I just got back from London where I was working with [Iron Man star] Robert [Downey Jr.] and [producer] Kevin Feige," he explained. "We were talking with Robert, who's out there doing Sherlock Holmes, he was giving his input and his notes. We're sort of there. It's just sort of chugging along."

He also said they hadn't re-written the role of War Machine in response to Don Cheadle replacing Terrence Howard as Jim Rhodes, contrary to speculation. "No, that's all nonsense," he said. "We're writing the thing, virtually the same for Rhodey that we would for any actor. We're really taking what's going to be the most interesting story for the fans, and what are they going to enjoy watching."

Justin Theroux says the script hasn't been radically altered since Terrence Howard was replaced.

They also apparently haven't been making too many provisions for the future Avengers movie: "It is the Marvel universe, but... they haven't given us any instruction as far as 'we want you to do this or we want you to do that.'

"I think once we're sort of locked on that we'll be able to think about how we can thread things through. There's a couple little things that we've been working on, but it's not that we've been taking meetings with Avengers people."

Still Servant
11-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I really like Howard (thought he was great in Hustle & Flow) as an actor. I was kind of bummed to hear he would not be coming back for the sequel.

fernandito
12-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Cheadle On Stepping Into Iron Man 2
The actor talks about replacing Terrence Howard and the introduction of War Machine.
by Cindy White

December 16, 2008 - There was at least one good thing to come out of the high profile dismissal of actor Terrence Howard from the sequel to last year's blockbuster hit Iron Man -- the news that Don Cheadle would be taking over the part of Col. James 'Rhodey' Rhodes. The Oscar winning actor's resume boast an impressive variety of roles, from serious dramas like Crash, Hotel Rwanda and Traffic to more lighthearted fare like Ocean's Eleven and its two sequels. And while we were disappointed to hear that Howard would not return for Iron Man 2, we think Cheadle could do a lot with the role of Tony Stark's confidant and the man destined to wear the War Machine armor.

Cheadle recently spoke with IGN about taking over the role, how he felt about replacing his friend and what we might expect from the character in the next film.

IGN: How did you get involved with Iron Man 2?

Cheadle: I got a phone call from my agent saying they were offering me the part. That was kind of it. It happened very fast, and I had a very short time to answer. Literally, overnight. I was unaware of what was happening with Terrence. And when they called me I asked what was going on with Terrence. I've worked with Terrence, I've known Terrence for a long time. And they said they were moving away from him. So it's not like I was taking Terrence's job, because the job was already gone. Someone else was going to do the part. I don't know who the next person in line was, but that's who they were going to. And I literally had a few hours to accept the job or not.

IGN: How much can you reveal about the story?

Cheadle: I can't reveal anything because I've seen nothing. I have no idea. There's no script yet. All I know is as much as you know, that Rhodey looked at that suit and said, 'Next time.' So I imagine I'm going to be in a suit.

IGN: Did they explain whether they're expanding the role in the next film?

Cheadle: Not in any sort of detail. I mean, I think the part will be bigger, obviously. I mean, in the comic book, if you just read the comic books, you know that character becomes pretty instrumental in Iron Man's life, so it's not a sidebar character. It's kind of integral to the story.

IGN: Are you excited?

Cheadle: My kids are excited. I mean, it's great. It's a great opportunity. I'm glad to be a part of something like that. I tend to try and keep my excitement and all of that stuff at a level which has helped me survive 25 years in the business. I've been in movies and haven't made the cut and I've been on the set of movies and somebody's come up and gone, "Ah, we're not making the movie anymore." So I wait until it's done and it's shot and then it comes out and people see it and I can go, "Yeah, I'm in that movie."

Empath of the White
12-18-2008, 10:07 AM
"El Mayimbe here...

Got a new source and even though it is a tad bit late at night to double check, he passed my prelimanary source check and besides I figured this scoop is too damn hot to wait till morning. Anyway, we all need a jodido break from all these corny whack ass Batman 3 casting rumors.

Ya'll want some real Superhero casting news of the Marvel variety?

How about this!

From what I'm told, Tim Robbins is going to be playing Howard Stark in an important flashback sequence that is going to set up the Avengers and Captain America films. Jon [Favreau] wanted to get a good actor because he didn't think the guy who played Howard in the last film could carry such an important scene.

Makes sense to me because Howard Stark would be around the time of the Captain America Super Soldier experiment.

That is not all, check this out...

I'm also told that HAWKEYE and BLACK WIDOW are definitely in Iron Man 2 and they wont be cameos either.

You guys want to take this as a rumor due to the timing then it's all good with me till further notice.

Stay tuned as more develops and Happy Holidays folks."

From the latinoreview website.

fernandito
12-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm really not liking all this crossover shite. Having Hawkeye in Iron Man deuce would mean that a relatively significant portion of the movie would go to towards explaining his character and it's origins, time that could be instead used to further explore the depths of Starks character.

Empath of the White
12-27-2008, 05:36 PM
According to this site: http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/tales-of-suspense/2

Hawkeye and Black Widow were Iron Man villains a while back. It might be a nice change from an iron-suited villain. Assuming they don't try working in Crimson Dynamo and overcrowd the movie. He and Titanium Man were pretty big on some other websites as the villains for IM2.

fernandito
01-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Iron Man 2 Villain Casting
Wrestler, Dangerous Mind stars up for bad guy roles.
by IGN Staff

January 7, 2009 - Mickey Rourke, the so-hot-right-now comeback star of The Wrestler, and Sam Rockwell (Confessions of a Dangerous Mind) are in talks to join the upcoming Iron Man sequel as dual villains.

Rockwell, The Hollywood Reporter says, is up for the part of Justin Hammer, "a multibillionaire businessman and a rival of industrialist" of Tony Stark. Incidentally, Rockwell was one of director Jon Favreau's original choices for the Iron Man role.

As for Rourke's part, there appears to be some confusion. Variety says that he would play "Tony Stark's Russian alter ego, a heavily tattooed bruiser who is in the arms trade and battles Iron Man in his own nuclear-powered armored suit." The trade mag hints that he's the Crimson Dynamo.

But wait... The Hollywood Reporter describes the character differently. They say Rourke will portray "a tattooed Russian heavy named Ivan who becomes Whiplash, a man with deadly, technologically enhanced coils." That doesn't sound like Whiplash at all -- that character is a girl, except in the Ultimate universe where he's only been briefly glimpsed. The description sounds a little bit like Omega Red, but we're inclined to think that Rourke is actually playing Crimson Dynamo, as Variety states.

Did somebody get their wires crossed here? Is it intentional misinformation? We think the latter is a real possibility given the extremely convoluted nature of today's announcements.

Finally, THR scoops that another role, that of Tony Stark's assistant Natasha, has yet to be cast. Confused yet?

Share your thoughts on Iron Man 2, coming in May 2010, in the comments below.
UPDATE: Marvel's profile of Whiplash reminds us that he was once called Blacklash. His real name is Mark Scarlotti and he was a weapons designer and head of research for Stark International who fell in with organized crime. At one point "he was an operative for Justin Hammer, another rival of Tony Stark. Hammer called on Scarlotti for various reasons even if he had to turn him against another Hammer employee." Scarlotti was killed by the sentient Iron Man armor in Iron Man #28.

The Cosmic Geek
01-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Man, I still need to see the first one. My friend out in California asked me recently if I have seen it yet, I told him not yet, and yesterday in the mail I received a gift from him. It was the Iron Man DVD. Can't wait to see it.

Empath of the White
01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
It might be that Favs is going to merge Crimson Dynamo with the aesthetics of Whiplash...giving him some whips as well. I'm not well read on either character...how similar is Dynamo to Iron Monger? I see both as armored villains. Do the similarities end there?

So we have:

Hawkeye
Black Widow
Justin Hammer
Whoever Rourke is playing

Maybe he's going for a Nolan kind of approach, using known characters, but only as needed. Its certainly doable. Look at BB:

Carmine Falcone
The Scarecrow
Ra's Al Ghul
Mr. Zsaz
Mr. Earl

Same amount of "villains", but they all flowed well with the narrative and things never felt cluttered or convoluted. Plus the movie still was able to focus on Bruce Wayne/Batman.

fernandito
01-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Raimi Suggests Spidey 4 Villain?
Spider-Man director has plans for sequel baddie.

UK, January 13, 2009 - Sam Raimi told Empire magazine that he already has an idea for the villain in Spider-Man 4.

He said: "I like it in the Marvel comics when Spider-Man fights Morbius... He's really cool. A vampire! I like that combination of superhero plus supernatural."

In the comics, Morbius wasn't actually a vampire in the supernatural sense; instead he was a Nobel-prize winning biochemist who (unwisely) attempted to cure his rare blood disease with a combination of vampire bats and electroshock therapy -- giving him "vampiric" characteristics. The character became an important part of the Marvel universe, doing battle with Spidey, the Human Torch and the X-Men.

The film is currently at the script-writing stage, with the last news on the project being that Pulitzer-prize winning author David Lindsey-Abaire had been signed on to co-write the sequel.

Raimi said way back in October that filming would possibly get under way in 2010, with the director currently putting the finishing touches to horror Drag Me to Hell.

The Cosmic Geek
01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I want a new Spidey movie, I just don't know if Morbius is the right choice. Why not go like the Lizard and Kraven the Hunter?

fernandito
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Spidey 4 Filming in 2010
Says J.K. Simmons - aka Daily Bugle Editor J. Jonah Jameson.

UK, January 19, 2009 - J.K. Simmons - the actor who plays Daily Bugle editor J. Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man films - told MTV that filming on the fourth instalment of the franchise will get underway in 2010.

He said Sam Raimi confirmed the news to him at "his Christmas party", which would corroborate with earlier rumours that Sony were planning a May 2011 release for the superhero sequel.

Meanwhile Simmons had this to say about his fast-talking character: "We've definitely brainstormed ideas for Triple-J, but I have no desire to make Triple-J more of the focus of those movies," he said. "The amount that I did in 1, 2 and 3, is just exactly right. Like be the wolf. Come in, blow in, do a week, blow out, be the comic relief, and hit the road. And let Tobey and everybody else do the heavy lifting."

Progress on the next Spidey film seems to be quickening, with a writer hired for the script, and Raimi already mulling villains. However, neither the director, nor stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst have - as yet - officially signed on for the project.

Empath of the White
01-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Morbius and Lizard would be an awesome combination. If this is still a two-part deal, then the fifth movie could have Kraven coming to NY to hunt down the freaks.

flaggwalkstheline
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I want a Clone Saga Movie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!heres a clone of what I just said: I want a Clone Saga Movie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 out of 4 clones with the exact same brains agree: Spiderman 4 should be the begining of a clone saga!!!!

The Cosmic Geek
01-19-2009, 07:13 PM
What is it about the Clone Saga that you like so much?

flaggwalkstheline
01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
It really explores the emotional depths of its many characters, I know its hated by most ppl but I've read it (took a while to collect/ download/ scan/ borrow/ or buy every issue) and yeah some of it is a little hokey but its the longest running most important most status changing (OMD doesnt have 3 Spidermans) story in that characters history and ever since it ended spiderman stories havent been the same, the ending of it leaves me very angry (unconvincing death of the character i have in my pics) though norman osbournes return has been good, what it also does is illustrate the fundamental flaw in serial comic books: they dont end, the clone saga would be perfect if it were indeed the last peter parker story and for a while it looks like it just might be, but after a decade all comic books must "return to their roots" which just means going back to their classic status quo, but even with all that the clone saga still stands as a truly amazing storyline which I think would be well suited to 3 spiderman movies in a row in order to try and redeem the unfairly tainted legacy of a great story

as u can tell by the above statement: I am one of those crazy fans who writes long pontificating letters to Joe Q DEMANDING that they bring back ben reilly, so far his only capitulation is a few name checks, the mention of kaine in civil war: battle damage, and one out of continuity issue with the spiderclone as a main character (xmen/spiderman # 3) But its a start!!!!!!

The Cosmic Geek
01-20-2009, 06:10 PM
I wasn't a huge Clone supporter for the comic, but I admire your passion for it. I do remember the issues though and wish I could read them again, give them a fair chance. I do remember MJ saying she was pregnant in it.

Did you read the Clone story line in Ultimate Spider-man?

You know, you made me soften up a bit regarding the Clone story line. Well done!

fernandito
01-21-2009, 05:42 AM
You know, you made me soften up a bit regarding the Clone story line. Well done!

Me too! Shit, now I want to re-read the clone saga :lol:

flaggwalkstheline
01-21-2009, 06:54 AM
I wasn't a huge Clone supporter for the comic, but I admire your passion for it. I do remember the issues though and wish I could read them again, give them a fair chance. I do remember MJ saying she was pregnant in it.

Did you read the Clone story line in Ultimate Spider-man?

yay! 2 possible converts!

n yeah I did read the ultimate clonesaga, I love the ultimate comics, more than the 616 stories of the last decade

try these 2 sites
the first one is a timeline so u can know what issues to get
http://www.samruby.com/History/clonesagatimeline.htm
and this one is a site that offers free spiderman downloads (sometimes its a little wonky though)
http://www.donaldspidermanthomas.com/html/

fernandito
01-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Can you point me towards any Clone Saga omnibus(es), flagg?

flaggwalkstheline
01-21-2009, 12:52 PM
the tragedy is that it hasnt been released in any sort of omnibus form, the first one (from the 70s) was rereleased in the 90s to coincide with the then new one as a hardcover called clone genesis, but the later one hasnt been collected except for revelations which is the final story in it, but both that and clone genesis are out of print, those sites I posted should allow one a listing of and access to all the issues (albeit not in a paper form)

fernandito
03-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Rourke Joins Iron Man 2
Oscar nominee also considered for Spidey 4?
by Jim Vejvoda

March 11, 2009 - After weeks of public back-and-forth, Oscar nominee Mickey Rourke will reportedly be in Iron Man 2 after all.

Deadline Hollywood Daily says that Rourke got a significant salary bump after Marvel's previously reported "lowball offer." According to DHD, Rourke will play "the Russian villain" in the film, which seems to confirm the rumor that he'll play Crimson Dynamo.

The site says that Rourke will start researching his role once he wraps up promoting his comeback film The Wrestler in, ironically enough, Russia.

And just to add fuel to the fanboy fire, DHD also claims, "Sony was considering hiring Mickey to play the villain in Spider-Man 4."

Which character do you think Rourke would have played in Spidey 4?

Sam
03-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Mysterio maybe? Rourke is good at throwing up a smoke screen after all.

fernandito
04-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Peter Parker's New Direction
Raimi to explore new aspects of character in Spider-Man 4.

UK, April 22, 2009 - Sam Raimi has been talking about Spider-Man 4 to Sci-FI Wire, and said he wants to take the character of Peter Parker in a new direction.

He said: "I hope that we just [look] ever deeper into the truth of who Peter Parker really is -- as a human being and a unique character, and that we celebrate that, which is a lot of the reason I want to make this next picture."

Raimi continued: "I still believe I have an understanding of Peter Parker as the character that I have not quite put onto the screen yet."

The director also revealed he has a meeting coming up with Kirsten Dunst -- who is still not signed on to reprise her role as Mary Jane. "I'm hoping that she is going to come aboard... I think she would like to. But I don't want to speak on behalf of her."

What aspects of Peter Parker's character do you want Raimi to explore in Spider-Man 4?

Kidd Ikarus
04-23-2009, 12:11 PM
God . . . I really wish they had fired Raimi and gone with a different director for the new Spidey movies.

flaggwalkstheline
04-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Clone Saga begining is what I want
Jake Gylennhal as ben reilly
John Malkovitch as Miles Warren/ jackal
Antonio Banderas as Tarantula

fernandito
06-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Iron Man 2 Sneak Peek
A preview of our visit to the set of the Marvel sequel.
by Jim Vejvoda

June 4, 2009 - IGN Movies visited the set of Iron Man 2 yesterday where we got the chance to speak at length with star Robert Downey Jr., director Jon Favreau, and Marvel Studios honcho Kevin Feige. While our full set visit report is under embargo for another month, Paramount Pictures and Marvel have allowed us to provide you with this brief overview of some of the cool things we witnessed.

Iron Man 2, now roughly halfway through production, is being shot at Raleigh Studios in the Los Angeles suburb of Manhattan Beach. Marvel announced last year that they will shoot all of their upcoming projects -- including Thor, The First Avenger: Captain America, and The Avengers -- here.

Upon arriving at Marvel's offices on the lot, the invited journalists sat down for a lengthy roundtable interview with studio boss Feige, the self-proclaimed fanboy shepherding all of Marvel's in-house productions through development. In addition to chatting about Iron Man 2, Feige was also extraordinarily forthcoming about Marvel's upcoming slate. Look for specifics of what Feige had to say about these projects Friday.

- Marvel/Paramount

Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) in his workshop in Iron Man 2; click for hi-res.

We were then escorted to the set of Tony Stark's workshop that was seen in the first film (it was the setting of Tony's humorous early attempts at flying in the Mark II Iron Man armor). Favreau made his first of many friendly pit-stops to chat with the online press, a relationship he aptly analogized as being similar to the one between athletes and sports writers. While being mindful of spoilers, the director did reveal that Iron Man 2 is all about the repercussions of Tony's abandonment of his secret identity at the end of the first film and his lingering issues with his late father Howard Stark (played by Mad Men's John Slattery).

The scenes we witnessed being filmed had Tony examining a miniature model of the 1974 Stark Expo (think of it as the World's Fair had it been staged by Howard Stark). The second scene we observed had Tony's interacting with his A.I. servant Jarvis as Downey pantomimed using the Minority Report-esque holographic computer display seen in the first film.

Our set visit concluded with a chat with Downey, who is every bit as charming, smart and silver-tongued in person as the character he so brilliantly portrays. We had the chance to witness some very cool things while on-set but, alas, that's all we can say until next month. Rest assured that Iron Man 2 not only looks as exciting and fun as its predecessor but also grander in scope and full of even more interesting characters and cool set-pieces. Check back Friday for our chat with Kevin Feige about Marvel's upcoming movies.

Mattrick
06-08-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm sure this one will be as bad, if not worse, than the original. I love RDJ but I'm not interested in this one.

Sam
06-08-2009, 07:06 AM
I assume from your post that you didn't like Iron Man Mattrick. I may be reading too much into it, but for some reason I don't think so.:P

fernandito
06-08-2009, 08:08 AM
What did you find so bad about it? I thought it was a more than decent entry into the comic book movie genre.

Mattrick
06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
For one, they gave us the ENTIRE plot in the trailer. Secondly, the first half hour of the movie was tedius. He somehow builds this crazy suit in a prison, right. Then there is a terrible subplot with Gwenyth Paltrow. Then there is that flying sequence where he blows up the tank, which was the best part of the movie. Then there is a terribly lame final battle which just did not do it for me. It wasn't as bad as other comic book films such as Hulk and Daredevil but it just wasn't very good. I guess if you look at is as a comic book movie, a film with nothing going for it besides snappy dialogue and CGI-fueled action sequences it was pretty good. But I don't like movies like that, so Iron Man got a solid 2/10 from me. There was no tension. I didn't feel threatened by the villains. It was a pretty stoic movie for me, that was more concerned with looking pretty and being hip, than having a good story.

YouTube - The Onion: 'Iron Man' Trailer To Be Made Into Feature Film
"The Onion - Iron Man Trailer to be Made Into Feature-Length Movie"

The sad part about that video is that it is too true.

fernandito
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
He was able to build the suit because his captors had a multitude of his weapons and gadgets, and Stark being the genius that he is, was able to disassemble them and use the parts to make the 'missile' (Mach I). The Gwyneth Paltrow subplot was necessary because it shows that he's not a complete womanizer, he wants to find someone that he can settle down with and whom better than someone who knows virtually everything about him? The only argument in your post that I semi-agree on is with the villian, I didn't find him too menacing until the latter portion of the movie when he reveals himself to be moving against Tony. I think that Favreau was going for the surprise factor with Obediah (in the sense that he had him confess to having betrayed Tony's father) rather than having an outright brute villian.

P.S - I can't wait for part two! :excited:

Mattrick
06-09-2009, 01:56 PM
He was able to build the suit because his captors had a multitude of his weapons and gadgets, and Stark being the genius that he is, was able to disassemble them and use the parts to make the 'missile' (Mach I). The Gwyneth Paltrow subplot was necessary because it shows that he's not a complete womanizer, he wants to find someone that he can settle down with and whom better than someone who knows virtually everything about him? The only argument in your post that I semi-agree on is with the villian, I didn't find him too menacing until the latter portion of the movie when he reveals himself to be moving against Tony. I think that Favreau was going for the surprise factor with Obediah (in the sense that he had him confess to having betrayed Tony's father) rather than having an outright brute villian.

He somehow manages to build this massive suit and power it and spend years on it without it ever being seen? They are the stupidest terrorists ever.... you can't find a 7 ft tall, 3 ton, suit of armour inside a room dug out of a wall. Did they not even bother inspecting to make sure he wasn't up to no good? I don't really buy the whole 'he's a genius, he can do anything' argument there because it was just bad storytelling. They are lucky they signed on RDJ or that movie would have tanked.

RUBE
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM

He somehow manages to build this massive suit and power it and spend years on it without it ever being seen? They are the stupidest terrorists ever.... you can't find a 7 ft tall, 3 ton, suit of armour inside a room dug out of a wall. Did they not even bother inspecting to make sure he wasn't up to no good? I don't really buy the whole 'he's a genius, he can do anything' argument there because it was just bad storytelling. They are lucky they signed on RDJ or that movie would have tanked.

The movie was just trying to be true to the comics except that they replaced Vietnam with Afganistan. Also, it was not years and he did not actually assemble it until the last minute. Is it plausible that they couldn't figure it out earlier? Probably not, but it is just a movie. Sometimes you just have to suspend disbelief.

fernandito
06-22-2009, 08:19 PM
A Spidey Villain Returns?
Dead bad guy will reportedly be back for sequel.
by Jim Vejvoda

June 22, 2009 - The man who didn't really shoot Uncle Ben Parker says he will be back for Spider-Man 4.

According to Superhero Hype, actor Michael Papajohn, who played ill-fated carjacker Dennis Carradine in the first and third Spider-Man films, appeared at a panel at this past weekend's Wizard World Philadelphia where he said he will reprise his role for Spidey 4 but gave no further details.

Dennis Carradine was the carjacker that Peter Parker thought had killed his Uncle Ben when, in fact, it was really his partner Flint Marko (the future Sandman). Peter chased down Carradine to a warehouse where the thief fell to his death.

How and why Carradine will be brought back for the fourth film remains to be seen, but we presume it will be a flashback. The question is why revisit Uncle Ben's death again? Is there something else we didn't know about it? And does that mean Sandman will also be back?

Empath of the White
06-23-2009, 08:14 AM
I see 3 possibilities:

1.) Retcon the retcon
2.) Chameleon
3.) Mysterio

Retconning the retcon would be just as bad as what was done in Spider-Man 3. So heres to Mysterio or Chameleon! :)

I don't think they would bring Sandman back this early. He'd have to be seriously coerced into returning to his life of crime. Perhaps they're building to a Sinister Six?

flaggwalkstheline
06-23-2009, 08:26 AM
has anyone considered that spidermans future films could fit into the blossoming marvel movie universe?

fernandito
06-23-2009, 08:27 AM
I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy inside Marvel, and he *swears* to me that it's Mysterio. :orely:

Matt
06-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Yes because everyone who ever came in contact with Peter Parker will eventually have super powers.

Did you hear Aunt May can rip the flesh from your bones with her purse? :lol:

flaggwalkstheline
06-23-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't like mysterio
Too often writers use him as a way to introduce a retcon
The most recent and glaring one being his role in explaining how harry osborne is alive post- OMD

Empath of the White
06-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Yes because everyone who ever came in contact with Peter Parker will eventually have super powers.

Did you hear Aunt May can rip the flesh from your bones with her purse? :lol:

Well, that's seems to be Sam's thing...Even when its not neccessary *coughSandmancough*

Anyway, I guess judging by that last part you heard about the Aunt May is Carnage rumors that were on IMDB in 06-early 07?

flaggwalkstheline
06-23-2009, 09:21 AM
aunt may as carnage?
if that happens it means raimi has mixed his other work into his hollwood stuff
Is bruce campbell going to play the hypno hustler 2?

cause I'd pay for a ticket to that

Empath of the White
06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Lol it was kind of a running joke on superherohype back then because someone saw the info on IMDB and thought it was official. Yeah, she'd probably start out like Mrs. Gannush and go from there with her symbiote-fueled shennanigans.

Anyway, I'd love to see Spidey being connected to the developing marvel movie universe. I actually think if Mysterio is the villain Bruce should play him.

Papajohn's recast could simply mean another flashback, though I think by this point its unneccessary. At the same time, I think that if they wanted to flashback to the event, they could use some old footage and save money?

fernandito
06-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Which villian do you guys want to see in SM4?

Personally, I would love to see Lizard as the main antagonist in 4. He has it all : the physical danger to Spidey, the emotional 'connection', the visual appeal. I think he would be the perfect villian.

Empath of the White
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Lizard would be a great choice; Sam likes to show emotion with his villains, considering how the ones that wore masks--Norman and Eddie--lost/removed theirs during the final battle. With the Lizard, he could use animatronics to show the human within the beast struggling for dominance. Shocker could be used in a bank heist at the beginning; what better way to show people that Spidey's back than with a great action sequence?

We should also get to see how Peter hitting MJ affects their relationship in Spidey 4. It'd be cool if he started working more with Captain Stacy, too.

Also: Moar quips; after the ending of 3, I think Peter should start tossing out some more quips and insults now that the stuff with his past has been dealt with.

fernandito
12-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I Am Iron Man 2
Are you ready for Shellhead's big-screen return?
by Brian Linder

December 16, 2009 - Tony Stark and friends are back on the big screen this May in Iron Man 2, the anticipated sequel to Marvel's 2008 superhero blockbuster. If you've not been keeping up with the latest, or even if you have, take a look at our Iron Man 2 preview to make sure you're up to speed on Shellhead's return.

In spite of some early hiccups mostly related to Hollywood deal-making, production on Iron Man 2 came together rather quickly considering the scale of the ambitious effects-heavy project. At first it was thought that director Jon Favreau might not return. Then there was talk that Robert Downey, Jr. could bail. None of that panned out. But there was legitimate drama surrounding the role of Rhodey when actor Terrance Howard was shown the door and replaced by Don Cheadle.

The official line on the movie's story goes like this: The world is aware that billionaire inventor Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is the armored superhero Iron Man. Under pressure from the government, the press and the public to share his technology with the military, Tony is unwilling to divulge the secrets behind the Iron Man armor because he fears the information will slip into the wrong hands. With Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) and James "Rhodey" Rhodes (Don Cheadle) at his side, Tony forges new alliances and confronts powerful new forces.

- Paramount/Marvel
Rourke as Whiplash

That's not all there is to know, however. At IGN's Iron Man 2 set visit, we learned that the core of the story's drama is derived from dual crises being faced by Tony Stark. Tony faces an inner struggle with lingering father issues, while there are mounting pressures on him, both personally and professionally, as a result of some sort of energy crisis. The shadow of Tony's celebrated, brilliant father, Howard Stark -- a man who helped America win World War II and stay armed during the Cold War -- looms over the entire film. Howard's past somehow holds the key to Tony's future.

Tony Stark isn't the only character with daddy issues. We've learned that Mickey Rourke's villain, Ivan "Whiplash" Vanko also has them as well -- his father was a famous scientist. Why do they call him Whiplash? Well, because he's got whips, of course. Energy whips!

The sexy spy Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) weaves her way through the story, infiltrating Stark Industries and the CEO himself. (She can infiltrate us anytime!) All of this turmoil wears down Stark's relationship with Pepper and Rhodey, and most likely impacts Nick Fury's attempts to lure Stark to S.H.I.E.L.D. Expect Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer to play an important part as a slightly retooled (and de-aged) version of Stark's comic book rival.

If you're hungry for visuals from the film, get ready to chow down. Paramount is opening the floodgates. We've witnessed a series of posters in recent weeks -- you've seen those above -- and the first trailer for Iron Man 2 will run with the Christmas release of Sherlock Holmes, which also stars Downey Jr. In fact, snippets from that preview are dropping online at this writing.

As for the future of the Iron Man franchise, this may be the last of the Paramount-distributed films in the series. With Disney's acquisition of Marvel, the House of Mouse will have first dibs on a third movie. What might that mean for the creative team involved? We're inclined to think that Disney won't shake things up too much. But it's Hollywood and as in the shadowy realm of Tony Stark's military-industrial complex... anything can happen.

-----

Source : http://movies.ign.com/articles/105/1055687p1.html

turtlex
01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
`Spider-Man 4' delayed; Maguire, Raimi out
By DERRIK J. LANG, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES – Tobey Maguire's web-slinging days are behind him.

The 34-year-old actor and "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi will not be returning to the superhero franchise next year. Instead, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios announced Monday that a new "Spider-Man" film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on Peter Parker in high school would debut in the summer of 2012 with a new cast and filmmaking team.

The announcement of a reboot comes after reports that "Spider-Man 4" production stalled amid script revisions. The original "Spider-Man 4" release date seemed unlikely last week when Paramount Pictures announced that "Thor," another big-screen Marvel superhero adaptation, had hammered out the same May 6, 2011, release date as the fourth Spidey installment.

"Working on the 'Spider-Man' movies was the experience of a lifetime for me," Raimi, who directed all three "Spider-Man" films, said in a statement Monday. "While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job."

Maguire said in an interview last week that there was "great stuff in terms of story and script" for the fourth chapter and the plan was to still release the film in 2011. He also said he had specific ideas about the evolution of the character on the big screen. Maguire's spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment about Monday's announcement.

"Thor" experienced its own upheaval over the weekend. Stuart Townsend departed the adaptation because of creative differences, according to two AP sources close to the production. Townsend, who had been cast as an ally of the Norse god, was replaced by Joshua Dallas.

The three "Spider-Man" films continually snared moviegoers, earning over $1.1 billion combined. After glowing reaction to the first two films, critical response to "Spider-Man 3" was so-so. Raimi said he was undecided about returning to the franchise after the third movie but later said he didn't like thinking about somebody else making the Peter Parker story.

Sony said it would have more news about the next "Spider-Man" movie in coming weeks.

flaggwalkstheline
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
been reading about this on CBR (comic book resources) and to paraphrase comic book guy: worst idea ever
I didnt care for spiderman 3, but it wasnt like it took the franchise to Batman & Robin levels of stupidity, even without Raimi or Maguire directing and starring there is still plenty of room to tell more stories in their established continuity without a goddamn reboot:arg:

cozener
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Rebooting this soon is definitely a stupid idea. There outta be a law...

fernandito
01-21-2010, 05:58 AM
More Spidey Deets
Ultimate version said to be inspiration for new film.
by Scott Collura

January 20, 2010 - As we reported yesterday, Marc Webb has been confirmed as the helmer of the Spider-Man reboot. And now today the trade papers have let loose with a few more details of what Sony has in mind for the franchise's re-launch, which is now scheduled for a summer 2012 release and will start shooting later this year.

Variety reports that Webb was in the running to direct the studio's Moneyball last year, apparently after Steven Soderbergh was fired from that project. So Sony has been hot to trot for the guy. As for the cast of the new Spidey, despite rumors about everyone from Robert Pattinson to Jim Sturgess, "a project insider said the studio wanted to lock down a helmer before turning its attentions to casting the Marvel superhero, who will be portrayed as a high schooler coming into his powers."

The young director is going to save Sony a ton of money. He's only locked in for one movie right now -- despite talk of a planned trilogy -- though his deal will include options for sequels. The Hollywood Reporter adds that the main obstacle to getting Webb's deal done was his prior commitment to Fox Searchlight, which he had to get out of before he could sign with Sony.

Jamie Vanderbilt's script, according to THR, "sees a Spider-Man movie that will look and feel very different from the big movies that went before it. … The touchstone for the new movie will not be the 1960s comics, which were the inspiration behind the movies by [Sam] Raimi, who grew on up on them, but rather this past decade's Ultimate Spider-Man comics by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley where the villain-fighting took a back seat to the high school angst." The story will focus more on a high-schooler who is coping with his uncle's death and the fact that he did nothing to stop it.

turtlex
01-21-2010, 06:28 AM
If they cast Robert Pattinson or Ryan Reynolds ( cause he's every superhero now ) I will kill myself. That is all.

flaggwalkstheline
01-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Ultimate spiderman IS a reboot! a near perfect one at that!
so theyre rebooting a film series that isnt in need of rebooting and basing on a comic series that is already a reboot

:rock:morons

Brice
01-21-2010, 10:07 AM
If they cast Robert Pattinson or Ryan Reynolds ( cause he's every superhero now ) I will kill myself. That is all.

It's okay, Pam! They've cast Keanu. :couple:

fernandito
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm sure there will be no shortage of 'Joseph Gordon Levitt as Peter Parker' rumors circulating the intraweb in the weeks/months to come.

Heather19
01-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Robert Pattinson :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cozener
01-22-2010, 05:38 AM
The story will focus more on a high-schooler who is coping with his uncle's death and the fact that he did nothing to stop it. Oh wow, yeah, thats exciting. Thats exactly what I go to see action movies for...teen angst. Cool.

fernandito
01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't know ... while I agree that it is way too early to be rebooting the series, I'm eager to see what Webb can do for the franchise. We'll see.

Seymour_Glass
01-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Dude, I'm really excited. Possibly more so than I would be for a Raimi-helmed sequel. (500) Days of Summer was great.

fernandito
02-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Next 'Spider-Man' movie coming in 3-D

5 hours ago | EW - Hollywood Insider.com | See recent EW.com - Hollywood Insider news »

Spider-Man's webs will be coming right at you. Sony Pictures announced today that the next iteration of Spider-Man will be heading to theaters in 3-D on July 3, 2012. The move isn't a surprising one considering how every big tentpole movie seems to be programmed with the third dimension in mind. And with a 2012 date on the books, there should be enough 3-D screens to support what's sure to be a giant run for Sony's most important franchise. 500 Days of Summer director Marc Webb is set to direct the film based on James Vanderbilt's script. Now all we need to know is who's gonna play Spidey. »

ArtherEld
05-08-2010, 12:57 PM
If you want to make a thread discussing the Iron Man 2 movie itself, go ahead. This is specifically about the end credits of Iron Man 2 that seem to hint at another movie.

Spoilers beyond this point.

So...

At the end of the closing credits of the film Iron Man 2, a car is driving through the New Mexico desert and stops on a cliff. Soon after, S.H.I.E.L.D agent Phil Coulson steps out of the car and looks over at a huge crater in the ground. Coulson calls Nick Fury and says "Sir, we found it," and Thor's hammer Mjolnir is shown on-screen.

Here's the thing. It should be known to anyone who's either a comic geek or movie geek that the Thor movie is well on its way. It's coming out next year. They've already got pictures online.

What I want to discuss is what they're seemingly leading up to here. This is the second crossover that officially links 3 of the 5 original Avengers (Captain America shows up a wee bit later) in three films. The first Iron Man film comes out, than The Hulk film with an ending that links The Hulk to Iron Man. Now Iron Man 2 comes out and its ending links itself to Thor.

So when Thor comes out next year what will its end credits show? A hint at Ant-Man? The Wasp? Or even Captain America? Or will they go with a later version of the Avengers and link to someone else?

Or... is it all a big tease?

mystima
05-08-2010, 05:35 PM
from what i have read online...and just for reference i don't believe everything i see there. they are in the works for an avenger movie. so that looks like it might be hinting at that.

Philzilla
05-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Yeah, it's all a set up for the Avengers movie in 2012

turtlex
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Yup... it's the Avengers movie set-up. Without a doubt.

ArtherEld
05-10-2010, 11:34 AM
From the Marvel website (this was posted March 2009 so any updates may have changed beyond that):

Get out your calendars Marvelites and get ready to mark them up—with the film release dates associated with the continuous story arc (YES!) on the road to "The Avengers!" Plus, if your Spidey senses are tingling, that's because "Spider-Man 4" now has an official release date!

Paving the way for the production and release of "The Avengers," Marvel announced today an adjusted release pipeline for its self-produced feature film properties that reflects the first time individual super hero characters and story arcs will be inter-woven and culminate in a multi-character motion picture.

Separately, Marvel Studios confirmed today that Sony Pictures Entertainment will release "Spider-Man 4" on May 6, 2011. Additionally, Marvel Studios has revised the release dates for "Thor" and "The First Avenger: Captain America" as part of its release strategy for an uninterrupted road to "The Avengers," now debuting May 4, 2012.

A Marvel character-based film will now launch the summer box office season for three years in a row, from 2010 through 2012.

"This new schedule strongly sequences Marvel's movie debut dates, big screen character introductions and momentum. It maximizes the visibility of our single character-focused films, leading to the highly anticipated release of the multi-character 'The Avengers' film in 2012," said David Maisel, Chairman, Marvel Studios.

Sony Pictures' and Marvel Studios' "Spider-Man 4" is slated for May 6, 2011. To date, all three motion pictures in the phenomenally successful "Spider-Man" franchise have generated nearly $2.5 billion worldwide theatrically.

Below is Marvel Studios' 2010-2012 updated release schedule for its slate of self-produced and financed feature films:

IRON MAN 2 - Current Release Date May 7, 2010
THOR - Current Release Date May 20, 2011
THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA - Current Release Date July 22, 2011
THE AVENGERS - Current Release Date May 4, 2012

The release date for IRON MAN 2 remains unchanged. IRON MAN 2 is the sequel to the blockbuster film, IRON MAN, which has grossed nearly $600 million worldwide.

Original Article (http://marvel.com/news/.7214.Marvel_Movie_Update~colon~_New_Release_Sched ule)

There's a lot of movie news in there.

Here's the thing. I'll have to find out more, I don't see any indication that Antman or The Wasp will show up in The Avengers film. They might be inserting Spiderman instead which would be a good reason they're going for a fourth film here. Antman and the Wasp may still show up in film, but it doesn't look like they're getting their own film like the other characters.

In the comic book series Spiderman doesn't show up as an "Avenger" until 2005 with "The New Avengers". Me not being a huge comic book fan, I don't really have an opinion on Antman or The Wasp being in the film or not.

I will say this is turning out to be the most creative and most nerdiest film series I've ever seen. Each character getting their own film leading to a sequel to all their films bringing them all together as a team. I could be wrong, but I know I've never seen this done before.

fernandito
05-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Don't know about you guys , but all this Avengers set up crap really irritates me. Instead of wasting Gan knows how much screen time setting up the Avengers movie, Favreau should have given some more screen time in an effort to further develop some of his key characters such as Pepper Potts, or Venko.

demorgan
05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
From the Marvel website (this was posted March 2009 so any updates may have changed beyond that):

Get out your calendars Marvelites and get ready to mark them up—with the film release dates associated with the continuous story arc (YES!) on the road to "The Avengers!" Plus, if your Spidey senses are tingling, that's because "Spider-Man 4" now has an official release date!

Paving the way for the production and release of "The Avengers," Marvel announced today an adjusted release pipeline for its self-produced feature film properties that reflects the first time individual super hero characters and story arcs will be inter-woven and culminate in a multi-character motion picture.

Separately, Marvel Studios confirmed today that Sony Pictures Entertainment will release "Spider-Man 4" on May 6, 2011. Additionally, Marvel Studios has revised the release dates for "Thor" and "The First Avenger: Captain America" as part of its release strategy for an uninterrupted road to "The Avengers," now debuting May 4, 2012.

A Marvel character-based film will now launch the summer box office season for three years in a row, from 2010 through 2012.

"This new schedule strongly sequences Marvel's movie debut dates, big screen character introductions and momentum. It maximizes the visibility of our single character-focused films, leading to the highly anticipated release of the multi-character 'The Avengers' film in 2012," said David Maisel, Chairman, Marvel Studios.

Sony Pictures' and Marvel Studios' "Spider-Man 4" is slated for May 6, 2011. To date, all three motion pictures in the phenomenally successful "Spider-Man" franchise have generated nearly $2.5 billion worldwide theatrically.

Below is Marvel Studios' 2010-2012 updated release schedule for its slate of self-produced and financed feature films:

IRON MAN 2 - Current Release Date May 7, 2010
THOR - Current Release Date May 20, 2011
THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA - Current Release Date July 22, 2011
THE AVENGERS - Current Release Date May 4, 2012

The release date for IRON MAN 2 remains unchanged. IRON MAN 2 is the sequel to the blockbuster film, IRON MAN, which has grossed nearly $600 million worldwide.

Original Article (http://marvel.com/news/.7214.Marvel_Movie_Update~colon~_New_Release_Sched ule)

There's a lot of movie news in there.

Here's the thing. I'll have to find out more, I don't see any indication that Antman or The Wasp will show up in The Avengers film. They might be inserting Spiderman instead which would be a good reason they're going for a fourth film here. Antman and the Wasp may still show up in film, but it doesn't look like they're getting their own film like the other characters.

In the comic book series Spiderman doesn't show up as an "Avenger" until 2005 with "The New Avengers". Me not being a huge comic book fan, I don't really have an opinion on Antman or The Wasp being in the film or not.

I will say this is turning out to be the most creative and most nerdiest film series I've ever seen. Each character getting their own film leading to a sequel to all their films bringing them all together as a team. I could be wrong, but I know I've never seen this done before.

I highly doubt that Spiderman is going to be in THE AVENGERS movie..spiderman movie rights is owned by sony.

demorgan
05-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Don't know about you guys , but all this Avengers set up crap really irritates me. Instead of wasting Gan knows how much screen time setting up the Avengers movie, Favreau should have given some more screen time in an effort to further develop some of his key characters such as Pepper Potts, or Venko.
Well, the biggest complaint is tht this movie wasnt even about anything. Lacked focus.

turtlex
05-11-2010, 02:39 AM

Thank you !!!

THIS !!!

ArtherEld
05-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Barely a minute.

But I sort of agree with you. About Venko specifically. I actually liked Pepper's character in this film. But Venko's story lacked depth and that really hurt the main plot. There was a plot here, but it lacked the depth of the first film in which Stark is betrayed by his friend.

I know I wasn't going to turn this into a thread reviewing the movie, but oh well here it is. I was kind of disappointed in this film. I thought it was... alright. My girlfriend and I both agreed that the Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johanson) fight with the security guards, while it was kickass, it did way too many close ups of her fight poses.

It was like, fight, take down a guard, she pauses and does a fight pose, camera closes in on her as she poses and looks intense for her next fight. That sort of thing is okay, especially in a movie like this based on a comic book where they do that thing all the time, but they did it almost after every guard she took down. I would have been happy if they had did one after the first guard she took down, then one at the end after her last fight. Still a little cheesy but comic book cheesy and that's acceptable.

And back to the plot, it was okay but not intriguing. And the end fight scene with Venko was too short.

turtlex
05-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Actually, there was a lot of screen time spent setting up the Avengers movie... every scene with Samuel L Jackson was basically a set-up for the Avengers flick.

ArtherEld
05-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Actually, there was a lot of screen time spent setting up the Avengers movie... every scene with Samuel L Jackson was basically a set-up for the Avengers flick.

True but he was part of the main plot. And that could have been developed better as well. I think there was some unneeded off screen drama as well, something about him almost not taking the part and then reluctantly agreeing to a 9 picture deal as this Nick Fury character, but don't quote me on that. I'm not up on celebrity news.

turtlex
05-12-2010, 05:41 AM
My whole thing is - There was just no point for Nick Fury to be there.... except to push the Avengers film. That's all I was saying ... I'm with Feev on the screen time being used elsewhere - to develope other characters who were sorely lacking.

We didn't need Scarlett or SamLJackson at all. It was too much. They should have used Mickey more and let him interact with Sam Rockwell to build plot.

Oh, and one huge hole in the plot was Pepper ... personal assistant to CEO in four seconds !!! Now, I love Pepper, but come on !

Hey - don't get me wrong, I am going to see the Avengers movie ... but I left Iron Man2 feeling cheated.

ArtherEld
05-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing Hugo Weaving playing Red Skull in the Captain America movie. He's a show stealer. The Matrix sequels may have been below par, but he really made up for it.

But I'm hoping, turtlex, that the Nick Fury screen time doesn't take away from it. Because he's going to be in that movie too, let's hope they hear yours and other criticisms.

turtlex
05-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Hugo Weaving ... V ... I'm a fan, without a doubt. He can pull that off - no worries.

Honestly, I figure the folks at Marvel Studios ... they know they have probably 95% of their audience built in, and can pretty much do what they want.

I mean, I pretty much go see every super-hero film, regardless. I'll go see Cap, and The Avengers, and the new Batman, etc.

Here's another question ... and maybe for a different thread, but isn't Samuel L Jackson getting a little... um ... OLD to be playing Nick Fury?!?!

ArtherEld
05-16-2010, 01:55 AM
Here's another question ... and maybe for a different thread, but isn't Samuel L Jackson getting a little... um ... OLD to be playing Nick Fury?!?!

Yeah, those are my thoughts. And if you can believe it, there's supposed to be a movie that's just Nick Fury. I mean I could see if he's supposed to just play some Charles Xavier type character, who's just leader/mentor to the rest of the characters, but... he's getting his own frikkin movie!!!

But anything's possible. Did you see "Book of Eli"? That was all Denzel right there. No stunt double. And I thought the same thing there too before seeing the movie. Then I saw it and was like, damn, alright, he did it.

Dagavidiab
05-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Hugo Weaving ... V ... I'm a fan, without a doubt. He can pull that off - no worries.

Honestly, I figure the folks at Marvel Studios ... they know they have probably 95% of their audience built in, and can pretty much do what they want.

I mean, I pretty much go see every super-hero film, regardless. I'll go see Cap, and The Avengers, and the new Batman, etc.

He was in the WWII, right? Nick IS old!

turtlex
07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
More casting news for the new Avengers film.

IMDB Entry for The Avengers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/)

Thought I'd start a thread... I know where I'll be on May 4th, 2012 !! :D

Latest news -

Ed Norton won't play the Hulk in 'Avengers' flick

LOS ANGELES – Ed Norton is speaking out on Facebook after Marvel Studios announced last week that the actor won't reprise his Hulk role in its forthcoming "Avengers" film.

Norton says he took to the social-networking site Monday because he felt it would be rude not to respond to an outpouring of support from fans.

Following Marvel president Kevin Feige's announcement Saturday that the studio would replace Norton with "an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members," Norton apologized to fans that "it won't work out" for him to play Bruce Banner again, adding he is proud of his work in the "Hulk" film and grateful to the studio for the opportunity to play the part.

Marvel had no comment Tuesday.

Sam
07-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I think this is a mistake, but not an insurmountable one provided they find another actor who can handle the part.

With their current track record with Iron Man 1 &2 and The Incredible Hulk, there is no way I'm gonna miss seeing this one. Not even if I'm dead. My corpse will rise, find the closest theater playing the movie, roll someone for the ticket money, and get in line.

Empath of the White
07-13-2010, 06:05 PM
It should be the epitome of a summer comic flick if done right. As far as villains go, I am not familiar with the Avengers roster. However, I would hope that they incorporate The Leader since he is now running around in the Marvel film universe somewhere.

2012 will be the summer of heroes, since it seems Nolan's Batman 3 will be released then as well. It should be a great one!

Woofer
07-13-2010, 06:06 PM
My god. I thought this was going to be about another John Steed and Emma Peel attempt / fiasco.

turtlex
07-14-2010, 02:25 AM
I notice there's no mention of offering the Hulk role to Eric Bana .... Honestly, his Hulk depiction wasn't that bad, I mean - the movie sorta sucked, but he was more than passable in the role.

Woof - you made me chuckle. :huglove:

Mattrick
07-14-2010, 03:16 AM
I will definitely not see this one. Iron Man sucked, won't even watch the second as I heard it wasn't as good as the first one, which I hated. Incredible Hulk was alright but wasn't anything extraordinary. They will never surpass the golden age of comic book movies from a few years back with X-men/X-men 2, Spider-man 1 and 2 and a handful of others. Then again, those years were riddled with garbage like Daredevil, Hulk and Elektra. Needless to say, after the disappointment of X-men 3 and Spider-man 3....I stray far away from a superhero movie that neither Bryan Singer or Christopher Nolan touch. Oh and I hate Joss Whedon as well.

turtlex
07-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Wow. That's the first time I heard anyone say that Iron Man sucked!

I enjoyed it completely. I didn't like the second one as much, but it was okay.

Both Hulk movies were passable. The Ed Norton one was slightly better than the Ang Lee/Eric Bana version. I couldn't stand all that jumping in the Ang Lee movie. Drove me insane.

On the other hand - basically, I love comic book movies. I loved the X-Men movies and the Spidey films.

Gosh, dude, and you're all over the hate place - Want to elaborate on your Joss Whedon hate? He's co-writing and directing Avengers and for that, I'm thrilled.

( Note here, I'm a huge fan of Joss and Buffy TVS ).

ETA : Both Elektra and Daredevil, while not very good - are actually better movies if you watch the Director's Cut of each. Especially Daredevil.

Mattrick
07-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Wow. That's the first time I heard anyone say that Iron Man sucked!

I enjoyed it completely. I didn't like the second one as much, but it was okay.

I don't think it was a good movie at all. RDJ was passable. Just none of impressed me. The final fight had no energy behind it and this was because of Jeff Bridges very limited screentime and characterization. I hated the first 30 mins of the movie and any scene with Gweneth Paltrow in it....talk about a lack of romantic chemistry. Only entertaining part of the whole movie when Iron man took out those tanks about an hour or so in. I still don't understand how he was able to build that first suit, in a damn cave, without anyone knowing (what, did they not care too look in his area to find a six and a half foot, half tonne suit in a cave filled with sand?) and somehow he managed to not only power it but find a way to weaponize it.

[quote]Gosh, dude, and you're all over the hate place - Want to elaborate on your Joss Whedon hate? He's co-writing and directing Avengers and for that, I'm thrilled.]/quote]

Buffy was a great show, when was 12 years old. I grew out of it very fast, before the new millenium. Angel was terrible. He ruined Aliens with Alien Ressurection and I have no interest in Science Fiction television with the lone exception being the genre transcending Battlestar Galactica. Considering his fame and I'm sure the wealth he has amassed, I don't think he is overly talented. Compared to other series creators (Alan Ball, David Chase, JJ Abrahms) he doesn't rank near the top wth me and he certainly isn't even in the top 50 Motion Picture directors. Nothing about his name is a plus to me. I've yet to see Serenity but also not caring too much about it either.

When it comes to comic book movies in general, I'm not a comic book fan. When I was a kid I watched the cartoons; spiderman, x-men and batman but that was the extent of it. I just find on the whole they are merely popcorn flicks and I won't pay to see those. I enjoyed Spiderman 2 so much because it had a lot of interesting things to say, some good subtext. If a superhero movie can't even offer me at least one underlying message I find is interesting, then I don't see the point. Mostly what makes Nolan's Batman films so good.

I don't whether it's the average writers they hire or the lack of talented directors like Nolan or Singer taking on the movies or just general casting (which made me stay a millions miles from Fantastic Four) but there aren't many redeeming factors. Worst yet is a lot of these blockbuster movies are pasted together and pumped out as fast as possible (hello, twilight) and are more interested in making money than a good movie. Why take time to hire talented directors and writers that would cost more, when you can pay much less to make the same amount of money. What it comes down to for me is I have one life and a certain amount of movies to see and these superhero movies just don't interest me. I'm more interested in seeing movies like The Road or Moon.

CRinVA
07-14-2010, 05:15 AM
My god. I thought this was going to be about another John Steed and Emma Peel attempt / fiasco.

That is what I was thinking too!!!!!!!!

turtlex
07-14-2010, 05:22 AM
Personally, I think this is the perfect kind of movie for Joss. Large cast, inter-connected plot points, special effects.

I can't wait.

Mattrick - I don't want to get completely off topic in this thread, but ... um, I sorta disagree with a lot of what you wrote. :blush:'

John and Woofer - I try not to think about that horrible movie, so it never occurred to me ! Denial is power!

Mattrick
07-14-2010, 06:01 AM
To each their own. I just think that if studios want me to pay to see their superhero movie of the month, they better make them better. If I want to see awesome CGI and action, I will watch Starship Troopers. I find most superhero movies to be popcorn flick drivel that will not allow my mind to expand at all. Video games are for mindless entertainment. I want something more when it comes to movies and television. The three things I look for most in a movie is fine directing, good acting and well written script. Most comic book movies don't offer these and the few that do are outweighed by the ones who don't. At least if it's going to be a mindless action movie full of over the top action and one liners, make it entertaining like Shoot Em Up. I think this is my main thing when it comes to action movies; if a movie is going to be outrageous, be outrageous, but don't take it so seriously. You can tell when a movie doesn't take itself seriously and contains a lot of tongue in cheek and you can tell when a movie is simply over the top to account for it's other weaknesses. To me a movie like Iron Man is pure Style > Substance. Seemed more like a 90 minute movie showing how flashing the suit is and how awesome Robert Downey Jr. is. Knock off the CGI already, use it when it's required. More comic book movies need to follow in Nolan's footsteps, his Batman movies aren't comic book movies, they're movies, they transcend that boundary. Ang Lee tried to do something similar but it all fell apart in the second half. I would take Iron Man much more seriously if Tony Stark had even one ounce of self-conflict. He basically just strutted around the whole movie going 'omg I am Iron Man, I am rich, *insert witty comment*' which is fine, it's his character. But it wouldn't have been to hard to have some underlying character dilemma he has to face. Even Spiderman had to deal with the vast personality differences between Spiderman, the showboating, charismtic superhero to timid and quiet Peter Parker which was about the only redeeming part of Spiderman 3. I don't even know what the conflict in the original Iron Man was....at first it was being kidnapped and escaping, then getting in Paltrow's pants, then Jeff Bridges was all 'I want a suit and they fought'...not sure what conflict actually kept the movie going. When I heard how good it was, I was expecting something better than what I got. Iron Man wasn't much better than Transformers to me; an action movie with no heart.

turtlex
07-14-2010, 06:05 AM
Dude - we should take this over into the General Movie thread, maybe - then we can go back and forth, if you like. Or ... I'm pretty sure there's an Iron Man thread as well.

I think, with regards to Avengers - one of the challenges that Whedon will have, will be balancing the characters. Downey, Jr is a strong presence, and he may have to be heeled in a little in a larger cast.

fernandito
07-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Dude - we should take this over into the General Movie thread, maybe - then we can go back and forth, if you like. Or ... I'm pretty sure there's an Iron Man thread as well.

I'm going to merge the Iron Man thread(s) with this one for one super Avengers thread.

Woofer
07-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Yes, yes, good advice, Pam.

I'll queue up some Avengers to clear my palate of the memory of...

BTW, that's also the first time I've heard anyone refer to Spiderman 2 as anything other than lackluster (granted I have not looked at the threads here because, sorry Sam Raimi (and Bruce's cameo), Spiderman didn't grab me).

Robert Downey, Jr. looked delicious in Iron Man, and it seemed quite true to the spirit of the old, old comics.

Mattrick
07-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I remember Spiderman 2 being critically acclaimed and very well received. It was one of the few comic, if not the only comic book movie during those few years that was regarded as being an overall good movie with underlaying themes, good directing and good writing (no surprise considering who wrote it). Spiderman 2 was really the only of the trilogy that really had anything meaningful to say and really delved into the role of Peter Parker. Parker had to sacrifice things to be a hero and make tough choices that didn't work out for him in the end and as we see, Spiderman is a phenomenon and everyone loves him, but Peter still lives in a shitty apartment delivering Pizzas on a bicycle. He's the only masked superhero that wears a mask even when he's not wearing one.

fernandito
07-14-2010, 01:38 PM
True. Up until The Dark Knight was released, Spider-Man 2 was regarded as the best comic movie ever, being a product that transcended the barriers of it's origins.

Mattrick
07-14-2010, 01:52 PM
It was fantastic. Spiderman 1 was good, but just above average. The sequel was fantastic. Then the third one....well, I will say I'm about the only fan of what is now known as 'emo spiderman' but that's because I understand the deeper meaning behind that terrible few mins of film. He took the Peter Parker Mask off and he was walking around as Peter Parker, thinking he's king of the world like Spiderman and everyone is just like 'who the heck is this guy?? What a loser.' The movie on a whole was god awful and I didn't think anything could follow up a good sequel worse than X-3 did.

Sam
07-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Spider Man 2 was certainly the best of the Spider Man series, and Spider Man 3 was horrid to the point I didn't bother adding it to my collection. Iron Man on the other hand, was very faithful to the spirit of the comic if not the letter (and what comic hero film can be faithful to the letter of a book that started 40 years ago and still be relevant to today's fans?) and one of the best comic films to date. The only complaint I had was the romance angle between Stark and Ms. Potts. That shouldn't have been there at all IMO. RDJ got Tony Stark DOWN PAT and perfect. Stark is ALL about image and is completely self-centered with very little self-doubt or self-conflict, hence the reason he was a drunk in the comics. The film Iron Man character has been very faithful to the spirit of the character and I look forward to what they'll do with him in the Avengers film.

Woofer
07-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Since I didn't care about Spiderman, I didn't see any 'professional' reviews. HOWEVER, my friends who are fans gave me the reviews of which I spoke. Peter Parker's just never been my fave superhero.

What Sam said about Tony Stark.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/Lady_Unicorn/Top%20Ten/RobertDowneyJr-IronMan.jpg

turtlex
07-26-2010, 07:27 AM
It's official - Mark Ruffalo is playing The Hulk !!!

Since I am a fan of his ... :clap:

fernandito
07-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Mark Ruffalo is an awesome actor! I can't wait to see what he brings to the table. Great casting choice.

turtlex
07-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I agree, Feev. It's a good pick!

RUBE
07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
What it comes down to for me is I have one life and a certain amount of movies to see and these superhero movies just don't interest me. I'm more interested in seeing movies like The Road or Moon.

I know this is off topic but I am willing to bet that the way The Road was treated at the theaters pissed you off, especially given that The Book of Eli, which is basically The Road Light, was given so much support. I know it pissed me off.

fernandito
03-15-2012, 07:19 AM
We're inching closer ! :D

fernandito
06-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Everyone NOT planning on seeing Spider Man later this month ? :P

Empath of the White
06-05-2012, 08:19 AM
It looks neat, a bit more stylized than the old trilogy. I'm there.

Erin
06-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm so pumped for this movie! I love the darker feel it seems to have. Plus I was never that thrilled with Toby McGuire as Peter Parker.

fernandito
06-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I didn't like either McGuire or Dunst for their roles. I always thought that Franco would have much a much better Peter Parker. Comedic timing is his bread and butter and the wise cracking is an essential part of the Spider Man persona.

And Mary Jane Watson is always a super model knock out in the comics , and uh ... Dunst isn't anywhere near that :lol:

Merlin1958
06-06-2012, 12:40 AM
I didn't like either McGuire or Dunst for their roles. I always thought that Franco would have much a much better Peter Parker. Comedic timing is his bread and butter and the wise cracking is an essential part of the Spider Man persona.

And Mary Jane Watson is always a super model knock out in the comics , and uh ... Dunst isn't anywhere near that :lol:

Can't argue with that post!!!!

DoctorDodge
06-06-2012, 01:36 AM
I'm looking forward to it, but I'm wondering if it was the wrong year to release it - being in the same year as Dark Knight Rises, Avengers and, for this fan at least, Dredd has it seeming not quite as...event-ish as those 3. Especially when the last film was only 5 years ago and they're now rebooting the franchise. Not saying it won't be better than the previous films - especially 3 - but it doesn't seem quite as big when you have films as big as Avengers and the final film of Nolan's Batman trilogy on either side of it. Saving it until next year may have made it seem bigger. Idk, I'll still see it, anyway.

fernandito
06-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Yeah, sandwiching it between The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises ... don't know wtf Sony was thinking.

Still, Spider Man has a decent enough fanbase that it might do well anyway, but not as well as it could have done if it was released during any other time frame.

DoctorDodge
06-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Still, Spider Man has a decent enough fanbase that it might do well anyway, but not as well as it could have done if it was released during any other time frame.

That's exactly it. I'm expecting it to do slightly well at the box office, but not be the box office smash that it could be. I'll still see it, but I'm not nearly as excited for it as I should be. I'm still too emotionally exhausted after the spectacle that was The Avengers, and it did set the bar amazingly high. Spider-Man may have a chance, though, if it's not just a very good comic book movie and is an excellent comic book movie. If word of mouth reports that it's not only the best one yet, but critics also love it, that may give it the box-office boost it needs. We'll see, anyway.

Empath of the White
06-06-2012, 11:10 AM
What do you think of the Lizard's design?

fernandito
06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Eh ... don't love it, don't hate it. I would have loved a more snout-y Lizard as seen in the comics. He reminds me of the Goombas from the Super Mario movie haha.

fernandito
07-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Release date is tomorrow!

Everyone ready ?

Ricky
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I am thinking about going this week, but have no expectations. I really don't know what to expect, actually.

fernandito
07-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Yeah, me either. Still, I'm a pretty huge Spidey fan so it's pretty much an obligation for me to go. I'm hoping I'm pleasantly surprised though.

Merlin1958
08-12-2014, 05:22 PM
I looked around and could not find a thread like this. If, it should be merged with another thread, merge away.

By now a lot of you probably know that I just LOVED GotG!!! Seen it three times so far and will see it again (in IMAX) and I will be buying the DVD. To me it had it all. Comedy, Action, a little romance, Sci-Fi EFX, awesome soundtrack and a great story line.

So this thread is for folks to express their opinions of the film and to talk about the "Marvel Universe" in general as this film, I am told, is a lynch pin of sorts for the future single hero and Multi hero (Avengers) films to come. Of course, the GotG WILL RETURN!!

Please use spoiler tags if you believe they are required for the sake of others (I couldn't care less. I'll never remember them anyway!! LOL)!!!

OchrisO
08-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I honestly think Guardians was one of the best movies I have seen in a while. Not just one of the best marvel movies. I have long been a fan of the Guardians. One of my favorite comic stories recently was Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest and those are where the new Guardians started forming. I was so looking forward to this movie, but had a little trepidation as well because I did not want them to ruin it. The more I saw, the more certain I was that it was going to be amazing and it did not disappoint at all.

I would have never guessed, years ago that James Gunn and Joss Whedon, both of whom I love, would be directing blockbuster movies AND that they would be about comic characters that I love. It makes me so happy.

Mattrick
08-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Can we change the title so it's only about Guardians? What's there to say about the rest? Marvel should stop giving these films to bad directors like Favreau if they want to make less awful films and James Gunn has the visual sense Whedon wishes he had.

becca69
08-13-2014, 09:50 AM
I'm going tonight with my son. I got a Groot and a SDCC Flocket Rocket Raccoon Funko Pop to celebrate!

Merlin1958
08-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Can we change the title so it's only about Guardians? What's there to say about the rest? Marvel should stop giving these films to bad directors like Favreau if they want to make less awful films and James Gunn has the visual sense Whedon wishes he had.+

"Always with the negative vibes, Moriarity"!! Oddball, Kelly's Heroes

fernandito
08-13-2014, 12:16 PM
No, the title is fine just the way it is, shut up Matt.

I too enjoyed Guardians, obviously. It was a pitch perfect blend of action-comedy-and visual effects. Considering that it came from a director relatively new to that arena, it makes that doubly impressive. How ironic that the two elements which were predicted to be the weak links in the chain - Groot and Raccoon - were two of the films highlights.

Merlin - The Guardians and Avengers franchise will end up crossing over at some point, with Thanos as the ultimate big baddie.

Merlin1958
08-13-2014, 12:23 PM
No, the title is fine just the way it is, shut up Matt.

I too enjoyed Guardians, obviously. It was a pitch perfect blend of action-comedy-and visual effects. Considering that it came from a director relatively new to that arena, it makes that doubly impressive. How ironic that the two elements which were predicted to be the weak links in the chain - Groot and Raccoon - were two of the films highlights.

Merlin - The Guardians and Avengers franchise will end up crossing over at some point, with Thanos as the ultimate big baddie.

So it would seem, but I did the whole "Wiki" thing on the GotG and the "Ultron" story lines and there appears to be a whole new storyline being developed so anything can happen. However, I know that at some point the "Avengers" and "GotG will be in the same film. Here's an interesting tidbit...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68350

Merlin1958
08-13-2014, 01:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwKHrBQjzbE

Merlin1958
08-13-2014, 01:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZKZ_lQ5FWQ

becca69
08-14-2014, 02:07 PM
So my son and I didn't stay thru the entire list of credits thinking that the dancing Groot scene was it and I find out there is a Howard the Duck scene at the end. Does anyone know of a link where I can see this scene?

Merlin1958
08-14-2014, 04:45 PM
So my son and I didn't stay thru the entire list of credits thinking that the dancing Groot scene was it and I find out there is a Howard the Duck scene at the end. Does anyone know of a link where I can see this scene?

I don't think its online yet, but it wasn't much to write home about IMHO

Merlin1958
08-14-2014, 07:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhdmrO6ciww

Merlin1958
05-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Just saw "Avengers: Age of Ultron" and man, what a film!!!! Loads of action, new heroes, plot and visuals!!! Any discussion? Good or bad? Obviously, I loved it and can't wait for more!!!

fernandito
05-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Bill-

Are you OK with a thread name change so that this becomes the Marvel Universe thread?

Still Servant
05-03-2015, 02:24 PM
I loved Guardians too. Probably the most fun I had at the movies all year. Before the film came out, I said it was going to be a good test for Marvel. It was based on a comic book that isn't exactly well known, starring a fairly unknown actor. Needless to say, it was a fantastic film that raked in tons of money. A success indeed.

Now, with Ant-Man soon to be released, I feel somewhat the same way. Ant-Man will prove how unbreakable Marvel really is. Obviously, it's not going to be Avengers and I don't expect it to beat Guardians either, but I do believe it will be very representative. Then again, one of these days Marvel is going to swing and miss. Ant-Man might just be that movie.

Merlin1958
05-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Bill-

Are you OK with a thread name change so that this becomes the Marvel Universe thread?

Sure!! Whatever you think is best!! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!!

Merlin1958
05-03-2015, 02:31 PM
I loved Guardians too. Probably the most fun I had at the movies all year. Before the film came out, I said it was going to be a good test for Marvel. It was based on a comic book that isn't exactly well known, starring a fairly unknown actor. Needless to say, it was a fantastic film that raked in tons of money. A success indeed.

Now, with Ant-Man soon to be released, I feel somewhat the same way. Ant-Man will prove how unbreakable Marvel really is. Obviously, it's not going to be Avengers and I don't expect it to beat Guardians either, but I do believe it will be very representative. Then again, one of these days Marvel is going to swing and miss. Ant-Man might just be that movie.

It very well could be, but from what I understand it is crucial to developing future storylines. They had a trailer for it for "Avengers" and I was uncertain at best. They do seem to be not taking themselves too seriously, good thing considering the premise, but as I understand it, Pym has to be introduced to further future storylines. We shall see. It does sound a bit "stupid", but I'll reserve judgement for now.

sentinel
05-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Just saw "Avengers: Age of Ultron" and man, what a film!!!! Loads of action, new heroes, plot and visuals!!! Any discussion? Good or bad? Obviously, I loved it and can't wait for more!!!

Ditto! Thought is was great!

fernandito
05-03-2015, 02:33 PM
I firmly believe that the film that breaks Marvel's high water mark will be whatever film immediately succeeds their first critical 'flop' (an you can really only use this term loosely), whatever that film happens to be; once the reverie over Marvel's perceived invincible streak is shattered, we could see a relative drop in Marvel's box office.

Merlin1958
05-03-2015, 02:38 PM
I firmly believe that the film that breaks Marvel's high water mark will be whatever film immediately succeeds their first critical 'flop' (an you can really only use this term loosely), whatever that film happens to be; once the reverie over Marvel's perceived invincible streak is shattered, we could see a relative drop in Marvel's box office.

I know everyone is anticipating that "Flop", but so far they are golden and other than possibly "Ant-Man" I don't see any takers for the flop in the offing. They really seem to have it down to a science especially, with Whedon at the helm of the crucial films. As I see it, the danger would be in trying to expand to fast and out side the main story line. Win battles, Marvel. Not wars!!!

Still Servant
05-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Whenever I talk to friends about Ant-Man, I get the same reacting - "Ehh." That's kind of a worrisome sign.

That being said, one of my favorite movies growing up as a kid was Innerspace.

needfulthings
05-03-2015, 04:27 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/4637/3OKbRW.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img633/8011/oa0E3d.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-03-2015, 05:33 PM
I saw AVENGERS THE AGE OF ULTRON in 3D IMAX today and enjoyed it very much. Not enough action though.

Still Servant
05-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Not enough action though.

:scared:

For real?

killjoy72
05-04-2015, 06:33 AM
To be fair, just about everyone said the same thing about Guardians that they are about Ant-Man. I would have loved it if Edgar Wright were still attached, but I am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Marvel is peaking right now; I doubt they'd let a stinker through with so much riding on the line. They've got 10 more movies lined up through 2019!

I saw AOU twice this weekend. Needless to say I really enjoyed it. Not quite as good as the first one (you'll never beat it's novelty), but pretty damn close.
please[/U] do Planet Hulk!), new members join, more Infinity Stones, Tony leaves, etc. As an unabashed comic fan, I'm am loving this. Truly the Marvel Age of cinema!"]

webstar1000
05-04-2015, 06:35 AM
To be fair, just about everyone said the same thing about Guardians that they are about Ant-Man. I would have loved it if Edgar Wright were still attached, but I am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Marvel is peaking right now; I doubt they'd let a stinker through with so much riding on the line. They've got 10 more movies lined up through 2019!

I saw AOU twice this weekend. Needless to say I really enjoyed it. rNot quite as good as the first one (you'll never beat it's novelty), but pretty damn close. I enjoyed the fleshing out of some of the other characters. This one kinda feels like Empire Strikes Back to me; more of an in between story, spending much of its time setting things up for future films: the doom of mankind, Hulk is now missing (please do Planet Hulk!), new members join, more Infinity Stones, Tony leaves, etc. As an unabashed comic fan, I'm am loving this. Truly the Marvel Age of cinema!

SPOILER DUDE>.. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow.... three hours away from seeing it.. and you ruin it:(

killjoy72
05-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Sorry Kris!
:pullhair:><:frown2:

webstar1000
05-04-2015, 06:47 AM
Sorry Kris!

I only seen the Hulk thing... and realized what was up... I shut my eyes and pushed my seat back. Then got my secretary to close the thread. lol No biggie, I can deal.haha

killjoy72
05-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Good save!

So, how does everyone rank the MCU thus far?
Mine, from Favorite to Least:

Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
Captain America 2: Winter Soldier
Iron Man 2 (I never understood the hate for this one)
Iron Man
Captain America: First Avenger
Incredible Hulk
Thor 2: Dark World
Thor
Iron Man 3

fernandito
05-04-2015, 09:24 AM
I'll rank them as soon as I get around to watching AOU.

Iron Man 2 (I never understood the hate for this one)

Me either. It was a damn fine entry into the series.
Now Iron Man 3, on the other hand... holy shit what a train wreck.

Still Servant
05-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Sorry Kris!

I only seen the Hulk thing... and realized what was up... I shut my eyes and pushed my seat back. Then got my secretary to close the thread. lol No biggie, I can deal.haha

I wish I had a secretary to do shit like that for me.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Just for the (broken) record, I was kidding about not enough action in the Avengers movie. I can't list my favorites from 1 to whatever, but the ones I liked the best were Wolverine Origins, the first Captain America, the first Iron man and the Hulk (the SECOND one, not the first one!). If Electra counts, that's the only one I really disliked. Oh yeah, Guardians was also excellent.

Still Servant
05-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Just for the (broken) record, I was kidding about not enough action in the Avengers movie. I can't list my favorites from 1 to whatever, but the ones I liked the best were Wolverine Origins, the first Captain America, the first Iron man and the Hulk (the SECOND one, not the first one!). If Electra counts, that's the only one I really disliked. Oh yeah, Guardians was also excellent.

I had a feeling you were being sarcastic. It's hard to tell through text sometimes.

Merlin1958
05-04-2015, 06:06 PM
I don't know that I could rate them as yet. I feel there is too much more to come, but if I had to....

Avengers I
Avengers II
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man I
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I suppose most of my favorites so far are the films that further the underlying story line the most as I see it, so far. I can't really seem to ID a clunker in the bunch yet, but IM III came close. Just being "Nit Picky" for a moment, but was anyone else put off a bit by the sudden romance of, Black Widow & Banner? Also, by the whole "Hulk, can't be around people" scenario, again (after the end scene of Avengers I). There seemed to be a few somewhat forced plot twists in AOU, but the film moved along so quickly it wasn't a factor to me in the viewing. I am more than willing to give them a pass, just food for discussion and speculation is all.

Also, a little help requested. In AOU four Infinity stones are referenced. Have I got this right?

1. Tesseract (Avengers I)
2. ???? (I forget), Thor II
3. Stone in, Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Mindstone, AOU

webstar1000
05-05-2015, 03:47 AM
You know I like Marvel's movies... BUT I think the DC universe will be MUCH better. I really do.... they are learning from Marvel and I think what they pull together will be Epic in it's scope.

killjoy72
05-05-2015, 05:19 AM
I don't know that I could rate them as yet. I feel there is too much more to come, but if I had to....

Avengers I
Avengers II
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man I
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I suppose most of my favorites so far are the films that further the underlying story line the most as I see it, so far. I can't really seem to ID a clunker in the bunch yet, but IM III came close. Just being "Nit Picky" for a moment, but was anyone else put off a bit by the sudden romance of, Black Widow & Banner? Also, by the whole "Hulk, can't be around people" scenario, again (after the end scene of Avengers I). There seemed to be a few somewhat forced plot twists in AOU, but the film moved along so quickly it wasn't a factor to me in the viewing. I am more than willing to give them a pass, just food for discussion and speculation is all.

Also, a little help requested. In AOU four Infinity stones are referenced. Have I got this right?

1. Tesseract (Avengers I)
2. ???? (I forget), Thor II
3. Stone in, Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Mindstone, AOU

Yep! There should be six Infinity Stones:

Soul (in the comics, this is owned by Warlock-no appearance yet)
Mind (Loki's Scepter-AOU)
Reality (Aether-Thor II)
Power (The Orb-Guardians)
Space (Tesseract)
Time (no appearance yet)

Stockerlone
05-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Think next month i wanna start to view all the old Marvel Movies.
Nick Fury - Agent of SHIELD
Dr. Strange
Punisher
HOWARD THE DUCK
and of cause the old Hulk, Cap and Spiderman movies...:frown1:

killjoy72
05-05-2015, 07:20 AM
Don't forget the Roger Cormen Fantastic Four movie from the early 90's!
There was a Doctor Strange movie?

needfulthings
05-05-2015, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=killjoy72;919176]Don't forget the Roger Cormen Fantastic Four movie from the early 90's!
There was a Doctor Strange movie?
SEE POST 22^
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/5944/dsJ6Cm.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img907/2892/cigr2P.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/215/8sNIK3.jpg

needfulthings
05-05-2015, 01:13 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/8876/7KMbUU.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img901/5381/pgAAWJ.jpg