PDA

View Full Version : Books to Benefit

Brian James Freeman
06-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Just a heads-up, Cemetery Dance will be promoting my new little side project soon. The message will be something like:

Fans of Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan won't want to miss the first project from Books to Benefit. Sign-up at http://www.BooksToBenefit.net to be notified when their website goes live!

I hope to see a bunch of you there. I can't share details until the official announcement is ready, but the project has been a lot of fun to work on.

Brian

Ben Staad
06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Ok. Then can you share some more generalities?

]I can't share details until the official announcement is ready, but the project has been a lot of fun to work on.

Brian

Kingfan24
06-25-2014, 05:42 PM
is it going to physically assault our wallets?

Brian James Freeman
06-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Ok. Then can you share some more generalities?

For sure, closer to the announcement, which will be in early July. One of the "to Benefit" parts of the deal is not yet formally in place, so that has me in a holding pattern for the announcement right now, but I figured it was time to start getting some people on the mailing list, etc.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-30-2014, 11:43 AM
If you've had any trouble signing up for the Books to Benefit mailing list to be notified about our Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan project, please try this alternate link instead:

http://www.bookstobenefit.net/?ref=HDb92

Thank you!

Brian

herbertwest
07-07-2014, 03:30 AM
To be launched this week... with a book project by Stephen King & Stewart Onan !
>>> http://www.bookstobenefit.net/

From their facebook page, last week :
"Stewart O'Nan and Stephen King's special Books to Benefit project will be announced next week. Please LIKE this photo if you think they were having fun when this photo was taken and please be sure to follow us at http://www.bookstobenefit.net/ for details of this exciting special edition!"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrkW4R3CcAEtXUn.jpg:large

Brian James Freeman
07-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Looks like the Books to Benefit announcement will be made on Monday, July 14th. There is one last contract to get signed this week, but then all will be ready to go!

Brian

Niels
07-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Looks like the Books to Benefit announcement will be made on Monday, July 14th. There is one last contract to get signed this week, but then all will be ready to go!

Brian

Sure, just when I'm on summerholiday in France............ with minimal internet!

cit74
07-09-2014, 09:56 AM
So is this announcement something that we would want to be by a computer? Or an announcement of future plans and books as well as to whom the Books to Benefit will benefit?

Roseannebarr
07-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Mr Randall Flagg,

should we or could we start a "book to benefits" thread? instead of posing questions here to Brian? i think he is trying to "establish" his own thing and it would make sense to me!

Thoughts???

Brian James Freeman
07-09-2014, 11:43 AM
I'll share what I can without ruining all of the fun. Sound good?

The Books to Benefit announcement is a special edition book to be published in three states this fall. In fact, the slipcase maker is already starting pre-press work to start their end of production this month.

I know this book isn't going to be for everyone, but it's been a ton of fun to work on and I think a lot of collectors and general fans will really like how everything is coming together.

Books to Benefit is completely separate from my work at CD, but then again everything I've done at CD has shaped how I view production materials, design, etc. This is just something I've wanted to do for a long time on my own: use my knowledge and skills to produce special edition books by authors I love to raise funds and awareness for good causes.

Also -- so that no one is changing plans or skipping work, I can say that if Steve's signature is one of the more important factors for you when deciding whether to add a book to your collection, you will not need to be waiting by a computer. My gut does say that the two editions signed by Stewart will be gone on the first day, though, based on the low print runs and how well a previous Limited Edition of his sold for me. I could be wrong. I have been before. :)

The binding material for the Limited Edition is something I've only used on one book before (out of the 150+ I've worked on over the last 12 years) and it's perfect for this book. I think collectors are really going to like the presentation.

Finally, the book will be raising A LOT of funds for The Haven Foundation, which I'm sure everyone on this board knows by now, and The Jimmy Fund, a cancer care and research organization out of Boston.

So if you'd like a really beautiful special edition for your collection, and you like the idea of helping those organizations, this is the book for you. ;)

Brian

Randall Flagg
07-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Mr Randall Flagg,

should we or could we start a "book to benefits" thread? instead of posing questions here to Brian? i think he is trying to "establish" his own thing and it would make sense to me!

Thoughts???

The Books to Benefit announcement is a special edition book to be published in three states this fall. In fact, the slipcase maker is already starting pre-press work to start their end of production this month.

I know this book isn't going to be for everyone, but it's been a ton of fun to work on and I think a lot of collectors and general fans will really like how everything is coming together.

Also -- so that no one is changing plans or skipping work, I can say that if Steve's signature is one of the more important factors for you when deciding whether to add a book to your collection, you will not need to be waiting by a computer.

My gut does say that the two editions signed by Stewart will be gone on the first day, though, based on the low print runs and how well a previous Limited Edition of his sold for me. I could be wrong. I have been before. :)

The binding material for the Limited Edition is something I've only used on one book before (out of the 150+ I've worked on over the last 12 years) and it's perfect for this book. I think collectors are really going to like the presentation.

Finally, the book will be raising A LOT of funds for The Haven Foundation, which I'm sure everyone on this board knows by now, and The Jimmy Fund, a cancer care and research organization out of Boston.

So if you'd like a really beautiful special edition for your collection, and you like the idea of helping those organizations, this is the book for you. ;)

Brian
A thread could be started by a member, or by Brian himself. Good idea.

herbertwest
07-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Something new then?
@Jerome : I did create a thread in the Oracle section

Randall Flagg
07-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Something new then?
Or I can move it here, whichever is best.

Bev Vincent
The Books to Benefit announcement is a special edition book to be published in three states this fall.

Brian shared with me offline that those three states are Alaska, Idaho and Texas. :smile:

Roseannebarr
Brian!

Can you Start a new thread. I would like your web address in the thread. I am old, i have to log into face book each time then click on that thread to get to books to benefits! the first 50 times i tried to google, i used books for benefits, benefits for books, etc... you are not popping up or easy to find yet!!! I am sure i will learn it eventually, but i can honestly say, i am on this site every day at least 3 times a day!! i know, i need to get a life!!!

Thank You!!!

Randall Flagg
The Books to Benefit announcement is a special edition book to be published in three states this fall.

Brian shared with me offline that those three states are Alaska, Idaho and Texas. :smile:
So it will have a red cover?

Roseannebarr
07-09-2014, 11:59 AM
:excited:

Crap. Missouri gets left out again. SK did come to St Louis for his insomnia tour 20 something years ago and never came back. Alaska and Idaho are odd choices, but its Brian's charity so good for him! I personally think Alaska sounds too cold, but i do find Sarah Palin entertaining. IDAHo, Potatoes. i got nothing there. I love how you get all the inside information!!

jhanic
07-09-2014, 11:59 AM

:emot-roflolmao:

John

Brian James Freeman
07-09-2014, 12:00 PM

Fun Fact: we really did once get a call from a new customer asking if their state was one of the ones that would have a book.

Brian

Roseannebarr
07-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Books to Benefit is completely separate from my work at CD, but then again everything I've done at CD has shaped how I view production materials, design, etc. This is just something I've wanted to do for a long time on my own: use my knowledge and skills to produce special edition books by authors I love to raise funds and awareness for good causes.

Also -- so that no one is changing plans or skipping work, I can say that if Steve's signature is one of the more important factors for you when deciding whether to add a book to your collection, you will not need to be waiting by a computer. My gut does say that the two editions signed by Stewart will be gone on the first day, though, based on the low print runs and how well a previous Limited Edition of his sold for me. I could be wrong. I have been before. :)

Brian

Thanks for sharing! Now i can relax (a little).

Brian James Freeman
07-09-2014, 12:02 PM
I really love that photo of the guys. Thanks for starting this thread!

Brian

ICry4Oy
07-09-2014, 12:03 PM

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/14611623341_e622de70c1_o.gif

Roseannebarr
07-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Yeah! Somebody listens to me. :excited::excited::excited: I love the photo too!!

Kingfan24
07-09-2014, 12:11 PM
So what are we thinking? Special edition of Faithful? Maybe a small production of A face in the crowd? Maybe something new?

Brian James Freeman
07-09-2014, 12:14 PM

So it will have a red cover?

ha!

Brian James Freeman
07-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Something new then?
Or I can move it here, whichever is best.

I am okay with moving the Books to Benefit posts to the new thread, etc, whatever is best for the board!

Brian

carlosdetweiller
07-09-2014, 01:20 PM

Crap! That means I will probably have to pay state sales tax.

Randall Flagg
07-09-2014, 01:46 PM

If you really need it, we could start a Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/)fundraising to cover your ~$10 in taxes and shipping.
Who knows, some other person tried to raise $10 to make potato salad (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad) and is currently over $71,000.
Hell, you could retire a year early.

carlosdetweiller
07-09-2014, 02:28 PM

If you really need it, we could start a Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/)fundraising to cover your ~$10 in taxes and shipping.
Who knows, some other person tried to raise $10 to make potato salad (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad) and is currently over $71,000.
Hell, you could retire a year early.

I'd feel guilty starting it for myself. But if someone wanted to start it for me and forward the proceeds it would be much appreciated.

Brian James Freeman
07-14-2014, 06:58 AM
We're very pleased to announce our first project, Faithful: The 10th Anniversary Special Edition by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan, which is being published to benefit The Haven Foundation and organizations that promote cancer care and research such as The Jimmy Fund. You can read more on the Books to Benefit website:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/books/faithful/

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FaithfulGiftEditionCover-large.jpg (http://www.bookstobenefit.com/books/faithful/)

Thank you for your support!

Best,
Brian

MandaBunny
07-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Brian, maybe I'm missing it but I don't see mention of artwork for this project. Will there be any?

Brian James Freeman
07-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Brian, maybe I'm missing it but I don't see mention of artwork for this project. Will there be any?

Thanks for asking. There will be photos from the season, but no artwork due to the compressed production schedule.

Brian

MandaBunny
07-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Thanks for asking. There will be photos from the season, but no artwork due to the compressed production schedule. Brian

Good to know, thanks.

Kingfan24
07-14-2014, 07:08 AM
So hows everyone feeling on this?

MandaBunny
07-14-2014, 07:16 AM
As Brian would probably say, and probably has pertaining to this, it's not for everyone. Regardless, I'm sure they'll do a great job and produce a beautiful edition.

Brian James Freeman
07-14-2014, 07:25 AM
As Brian would probably say, and probably has pertaining to this, it's not for everyone.

I shall quote you since you already typed it for me. ;)

This certainly isn't a project for everyone. For those who support The Haven Foundation and The Jimmy Fund, it's a different way to show them a little love and get something tangible in return. For those who liked the book, it's a nice new edition that should look awesome next to your other Gift Editions/Limited Editions/Lettered Editions.

For those who don't like baseball, or don't like the Red Sox, and who only collect books signed by Steve, then this probably won't be their cup of tea.

At the end of the day, I'm very pleased with the production values and the opportunity to help two causes the guys support, and I hope the collectors who order a copy are pleased with what we've done to make this edition special.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
07-14-2014, 07:26 AM
By the way, A poster on here already guessed what I was going to do for the Limited Edition -- white leather like a baseball with red stamping for the stitches. Am I that predictable? I guess so... But predictable or not, it IS going to look amazing. ;)

Brian

dnemec
07-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Well, I'm not much of a baseball fan and as a Yankees fan, I LOATHE the Red Sox. But I am a Stephen King fan and always happy to help out the Haven Foundation. And every other time Brian's name is attached to a project, the book has turned out beautifully. There was really no question that I would purchase one of them. But as a non-baseball, non-Red Sox fan, I only bought the gift edition.

Now it's all up to you, Brian!

racerx45
07-14-2014, 07:58 AM
By the way, A poster on here already guessed what I was going to do for the Limited Edition -- white leather like a baseball with red stamping for the stitches. Am I that predictable? I guess so... But predictable or not, it IS going to look amazing. ;)

Brian

I don’t think you are that predictable, I just think great minds think alike.

Brian James Freeman
07-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Well, I'm not much of a baseball fan and as a Yankees fan, I LOATHE the Red Sox. But I am a Stephen King fan and always happy to help out the Haven Foundation. And every other time Brian's name is attached to a project, the book has turned out beautifully. There was really no question that I would purchase one of them. But as a non-baseball, non-Red Sox fan, I only bought the gift edition.

Now it's all up to you, Brian!

Ha, love this post! Thank you for the order!

Brian

Rahfa
07-15-2014, 05:44 AM
For the Lettered edition, I wish you had reached out to a Red Sox player to add his signature - I'm as big a Sox fan as anyone, but that lack of a true Sox connection is the missing ingredient for this project.

I still think it's neat, though.

Kingfan24
07-15-2014, 06:21 AM
Kinda curious on what percentage of the editions have sold...

Randall Flagg
07-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Keep in mind that CD's mailing list is massive. There also will be quite a bit of interest from Red Sox fans.

Brian James Freeman
07-15-2014, 07:38 AM
For the Lettered edition, I wish you had reached out to a Red Sox player to add his signature - I'm as big a Sox fan as anyone, but that lack of a true Sox connection is the missing ingredient for this project.

Yeah, I keep calling Big Papi, but he just isn't answering my calls for some reason! ;)

Brian James Freeman
07-15-2014, 07:43 AM
Kinda curious on what percentage of the editions have sold...

About half of the Gift Editions are gone and there are 5 Lettered Editions left. Limited Edition sales have slowed since yesterday afternoon, but I think they'll be gone by the weekend.

Brian

thegunslinger41
07-15-2014, 07:43 AM
I was thinking that it would be cool if the signed or lettered edition somehow incorporated an authentic leather baseball panel...either on the front cover of the book or front of slipcase or traycase (that would have the title burned onto it).... or possibly even on a custom limitation page/panel where the baseball panel would be signed.

:)

Brian James Freeman
07-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Considering this project didn't exist on June 6th and has to go to the printer on July 22 to hit the authors' preferred publication date, there were some limitations on what could be done in terms of production, but I think everyone who buys a copy will be happy with the actual materials used, etc. It'll be a fine looking book.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
07-15-2014, 07:48 AM
I was thinking that it would be cool if the signed or lettered edition somehow incorporated an authentic leather baseball panel...either on the front cover of the book or front of slipcase or traycase (that would have the title burned onto it).... or possibly even on a custom limitation page/panel where the baseball panel would be signed.

What if my printer could source the same white leather that is used for baseballs and the Limited Edition was bound in that? That would make for a nice looking/feeling book, I think. :)

Brian

thegunslinger41
07-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Also....maybe get a game work jersey swatch from 26 of the baseball players from that World Series team and incorporate them somehow into the lettered edition.

thegunslinger41
07-15-2014, 07:56 AM

What if my printer could source the same white leather that is used for baseballs and the Limited Edition was bound in that? That would make for a nice looking/feeling book, I think. :)

Brian

That would be nice as well. I think actual red stitching would be awesome...but that would definitely be a custom job.

Randall Flagg
07-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Probably too late in the game, but a replica ticket stub or lineup card from the 2004 season somewhere near the beginning of the book would be cool. Perhaps O'nan still has some of his stubs.

racerx45
07-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Probably too late in the game, but a replica ticket stub or lineup card from the 2004 season somewhere near the beginning of the book would be cool. Perhaps O'nan still has some of his stubs.

I really like that idea and I would think it could be done as a tipped-in page or even a loose card. A reproduction of the final game score card would be another option.

Randall Flagg
07-15-2014, 02:29 PM

I really like that idea and I would think it could be done as a tipped-in page or even a loose card. A reproduction of the final game score card would be another option.
A real stub could be put in the lettered editions.

Rahfa
07-15-2014, 03:42 PM

That's a great idea - they could buy real ticket stubs on ebay.

For that matter, you could reproduce a ticket stub from the WS game - although there might be licensing/copyright issues.

Brian James Freeman
07-15-2014, 06:19 PM

I have a little something planned for the Lettered Edition's traycase. A Red Sox collectible store is helping me with some options. But until the idea is finalized, I don't want to post details since this sort of thing can sometimes change while in progress.

Brian

jonp
07-16-2014, 02:25 AM
Brian, If we want to request a certain number or letter who is it best to contact?
Thanks
Jon

Brian James Freeman
07-16-2014, 04:43 AM
Brian, If we want to request a certain number or letter who is it best to contact?
Thanks
Jon

The retailer you purchased from would be perfect. All of them will send me their specific number/letter requests with their final order. Thank you!

Brian

jonp
07-16-2014, 04:51 AM
Thanks
Jon

The retailer you purchased from would be perfect. All of them will send me their specific number/letter requests with their final order. Thank you!

Brian
Thanks Brian, I will let Mindy know

The Library Policeman
07-16-2014, 05:32 AM
Brian, I don't see copies of Faithful on the PS Publishers website as yet. Should they have them for sale already?

Thanks!

Robert Fulman
07-16-2014, 06:03 AM
I'm in for a lettered; I might take a look around my house tonight to see if I have more things I can spare to fund a purchase of the other two editions. Is there any word on the pre-launch contest which had $2500 in prizes?

I am interested in this book for various reasons. I love beautiful collectible books. I have a pretty good life, and I like to find ways to give back. One reason I support the Haven Foundation is because of the common experience Stephen King and I had. In 1992, I was hit by a car and ended up in the hospital for 9 days with a broken femur and some pretty serious head injuries. I was a high school freshman at the time, and not a best-selling author, and I certainly didn't understand at the time just how serious the accident was. I understand now, though, just how easy it is to go from walking down the sidewalk to lying in a hospital bed, with no memory of the time in between.

But the real reason I'm interested in this book is because my daughter was born on October 14, 2004. At that point, the Red Sox were down 2-0 in the American League Championship Series to the Yankees and it wasn't looking good. They also lost Game 3 on October 16 (I had to look the dates up to be sure). My wife and daughter were probably home on the 16th, but it's possible they stayed a third night in the hospital. Regardless, the series got exciting with Game 4. Games 4 through 7 were played on consecutive days, and the Sox had to win every one of them to advance to the World Series. Game 4 went into extra innings and lasted over 5 hours, and ended in the wee hours of the morning. Game 5 started in the afternoon of the same day and also went to extra innings and also lasted over five hours. Game 6 was a standard 4 hour nail biter between the Sox and Yankees, and Game 7 was an anti-climactic but satisfying Red Sox rout. The point is, I watched every pitch of those games holding my days-old daughter. She made me happy, and I knew that I would still be happy even after the Red Sox eventually let me down. Amazingly, though, the Red Sox didn't let me down that year. They won four games in a row against the Yankees, and then they swept the Cardinals in four. That was a memorable week for me, in more ways than one.

webstar1000
07-16-2014, 06:18 AM
I'm in for a lettered; I might take a look around my house tonight to see if I have more things I can spare to fund a purchase of the other two editions. Is there any word on the pre-launch contest which had $2500 in prizes?

I am interested in this book for various reasons. I love beautiful collectible books. I have a pretty good life, and I like to find ways to give back. One reason I support the Haven Foundation is because of the common experience Stephen King and I had. In 1992, I was hit by a car and ended up in the hospital for 9 days with a broken femur and some pretty serious head injuries. I was a high school freshman at the time, and not a best-selling author, and I certainly didn't understand at the time just how serious the accident was. I understand now, though, just how easy it is to go from walking down the sidewalk to lying in a hospital bed, with no memory of the time in between.

But the real reason I'm interested in this book is because my daughter was born on October 14, 2004. At that point, the Red Sox were down 2-0 in the American League Championship Series to the Yankees and it wasn't looking good. They also lost Game 3 on October 16 (I had to look the dates up to be sure). My wife and daughter were probably home on the 16th, but it's possible they stayed a third night in the hospital. Regardless, the series got exciting with Game 4. Games 4 through 7 were played on consecutive days, and the Sox had to win every one of them to advance to the World Series. Game 4 went into extra innings and lasted over 5 hours, and ended in the wee hours of the morning. Game 5 started in the afternoon of the same day and also went to extra innings and also lasted over five hours. Game 6 was a standard 4 hour nail biter between the Sox and Yankees, and Game 7 was an anti-climactic but satisfying Red Sox rout. The point is, I watched every pitch of those games holding my days-old daughter. She made me happy, and I knew that I would still be happy even after the Red Sox eventually let me down. Amazingly, though, the Red Sox didn't let me down that year. They won four games in a row against the Yankees, and then they swept the Cardinals in four. That was a memorable week for me, in more ways than one.

This is a GREAT story for so many reasons.... Glad I can be part of it and get books I need at the same time Robert!

Brian James Freeman
07-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Brian, I don't see copies of Faithful on the PS Publishers website as yet. Should they have them for sale already?

Thanks!

They usually take about a week to get their page up, but if you email Pete, he might be able to help you out now!

Brian

MandaBunny
07-16-2014, 06:21 AM
I'm in for a lettered; I might take a look around my house tonight to see if I have more things I can spare to fund a purchase of the other two editions. Is there any word on the pre-launch contest which had $2500 in prizes?....

Great post Robert, very nice to see the personal connection you're making with the book.

Though I'm not a big fan of baseball, I am looking forward to getting a numbered copy of this edition. Brian has proven repeatedly that the books he produces are well worth the cost and adding to that the fact that it's supporting two great causes just amplifies the sense that this is a special edition. I also feel that I've been blessed to have more than I require to meet my needs in life and am happy to have these opportunities to help others (and get a beautiful book). I look forward to having it as part of my King collection, especially knowing part of the proceeds are going to help those who can use the funds. I wasn't really expecting a King-signed edition but that's okay, not every edition needs to be signed by King to be desirable.

Brian James Freeman
07-16-2014, 06:22 AM

I'm running the random number generator later this week and picking winners. Watch for news!

LOVE this story! I think I'll pass it along to the guys, if that's okay.

Brian

Robert Fulman
07-16-2014, 07:07 AM
Okay with me.

Brian James Freeman
07-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Okay with me.

Thanks!

Brian

The Library Policeman
07-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Thanks!

They usually take about a week to get their page up, but if you email Pete, he might be able to help you out now!

Brian

Great! Thanks Brian.

Roseannebarr
07-16-2014, 12:10 PM
How is the limited selling? do i correspond with Mindy at order@cemeterydance.com to get my number?

Thank You!

Brian James Freeman
07-16-2014, 12:49 PM
How is the limited selling? do i correspond with Mindy at order@cemeterydance.com to get my number?

Thank You!

I should have good news about the Limited Edition tomorrow. :)

And yes, please email Mindy with your number request if you ordered through the CD store.

Thank you!!

Brian

The Library Policeman
07-16-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm too impatient to wait on PS Publishing putting their copies up so I just ordered the S/L numbered edition from Cemetery Dance. Looking forward to it :)

Merlin1958
07-16-2014, 05:20 PM
This thread needs to be archived. LOL LOL

CRinVA
07-17-2014, 07:19 AM
I immediately thought of you Bill when I first heard the announcement! I thought, is Bill gonna buy this book so that he can publicly burn it? LMFAO

I'm skipping it myself. I read the original as a King completist, but that's it. King bashes the Yankees but with style. O'Nan on the other hand just pissed me off. He wa so proud that he was able to flip off an entire bus of Yankee fans! He hates the fans as much as the team! We'll I don't begrudge all Red Sux fans as I believe they are just mixed up! O'Nan, however, is an Effin moron. JMHO!
:YYY:

Rahfa
07-17-2014, 07:30 AM
I haven't read it, so I know nothing about the bus scene you mention - but that is silly. It's like, "okay, we hate each other, great," but it's not THAT funny. It's just pedestrian.

Hating Yankees fans is like hating cockroaches climbing out of the sewer - you don't hate them personally, or angrily or invest the time to flip them off. They're just vermin. Nothing to get emotional about.

(haha..j/k)

Brian James Freeman
07-17-2014, 12:34 PM
I love the passion of baseball fans. :)

I'm working on a pretty cool bonus feature for the Lettered Edition, but we'll see if it pans out.

I know this isn't the most exciting project for a lot of SK fans or collectors, but I'm proud to be working with the guys on a project to help causes they care about and I hope to deliver three really fantastic editions that collectors WILL be proud to own.

Whether you've ordered the book or not, if you have any feedback or ideas on production elements like the slipcase or traycase design, materials, etc, please feel free to post them here or send me a PM or an email. If there's a feature or design element you'd like to see, or some idea you have for production, I'm completely open to your suggestions. Obviously, I may not agree or the budget might not allow for it, but I love hearing from people who actually care about producing beautiful special editions.

Best,
Brian

Merlin1958
07-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I immediately thought of you Bill when I first heard the announcement! I thought, is Bill gonna buy this book so that he can publicly burn it? LMFAO

I'm skipping it myself. I read the original as a King completist, but that's it. King bashes the Yankees but with style. O'Nan on the other hand just pissed me off. He wa so proud that he was able to flip off an entire bus of Yankee fans! He hates the fans as much as the team! We'll I don't begrudge all Red Sux fans as I believe they are just mixed up! O'Nan, however, is an Effin moron. JMHO!
:YYY:

If enough folks will donate $5 to the 2015 HF (we're on the honor system here) I will gladly buy the book and burn the living shit out of it!!!

I haven't read it, so I know nothing about the bus scene you mention - but that is silly. It's like, "okay, we hate each other, great," but it's not THAT funny. It's just pedestrian.

Hating Yankees fans is like hating cockroaches climbing out of the sewer - you don't hate them personally, or angrily or invest the time to flip them off. They're just vermin. Nothing to get emotional about.

(haha..j/k)

Flirting with disaster there, my friend. I could easily say the same, but Yankee fans have a touch of class, you know from all the winning!! LOL J/K

CRinVA
07-18-2014, 05:23 AM

(haha..j/k)

Not only did I read it cover to cover and let my blood pressure rise and rise as I read O'Nan's babble, but it pissed me off so much that I actually wrote a letter to Stephen King to discuss the book. I laid it on the line not expecting a reply. Here is the text of that letter to Sai King.

I know all of his mail is screened - I can only hope that it was passed onto him if for nothing other than his amusement!

Dear Mr. King,

I just finished listening to Faithful and feel compelled to write to you. First and foremost I must say that I am a Yankee Fan. Being as such, I only purchased this book because you wrote part of it. Had this been a book written solely by Stewart O’Nan I would have seen no reason to read it. Your Red Sox decisively won the World Series. Why would a 45 year fan of the Bronx Bombers, a fan that started watching Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris and Joe Pepitone and Tony Kubek as a 7-yr old kid back in 1960, want to relive the madness of 2004. I read (well actually listened) because I am one of your true Constant Readers – I soak up nearly everything you write, both fiction and non! Your fiction was the catalyst that got me reading again back in 1978, but this letter is not about fiction (although I’d like to believe it was). It’s about reality. I especially like your non-fiction writing with baseball as the topic. Head Down was a wonderful read, as was Fenway and the Great White Whale!

I was not disappointed this time, at least not disappointed with your portion. I fully understand that this was a partisan book – I would not have expected it to be anything but. Your Yankee hatred was clear and concise, to the point. I can respect that, as I hope you would respect anyone for following another team, be it the Yankees or even the dreaded O’s! However, I do feel that you wrote your entries with grace and perhaps even some respect. You told the story how you felt, you intermixed plenty of anecdotal information, and you gave credit where credit was due – whether that be with Johnny D, Franconia, or Papi or even Derek Jeter! Not once did you shamelessly dis the Yankees. I fully enjoyed reading all of your parts to Faithful. I can’t say I liked the ending, but then I knew that going into this reading!

I was disappointed, in fact angry at times, with O’Nan’s entries. I actually got the feeling that to O’Nan, this was not a book about being faithful to one’s team but about bashing that team’s rivalrous (I know that’s not a real word) opponent at every chance he had. A few things he said really stuck in my craw. Early on in the book he made a statement to the effect of “…and fuck those Yankee fans as well.” Well I take offense to statements such as that. I am a direct recipient of that statement. You’d expect words like those to come from the mouth of an immature teenager! Near the end of the book he was proud to state how he stood in the middle a Boston street at 2:00 in the morning and had the wonderful opportunity to “flip the bird” to the Yankee team bus! Gee, now there’s a fine gesture for any grown man – I am sure he was proud of his moment of glory! O’Nan could not leave well enough alone. If the Yankees won there was an excuse – gee after reading you’d think that there was a steroid factory in the Yankee locker room, and I hardly doubt that. Has there been abuse – I’m sure, but I can honestly say that could be the case with any team, including the Red Sox! In fact I think he made almost libelous statements about Hideki Matsui and steroid use! Or better yet, he stated the Yankees resorted to Small Ball or looked for walks as if it was a disgrace to the big leagues. Small Ball has its place in the bigs. He gloated on the fact that many of the Yankees were just hired guns! Gee what the hell are Schilling and Foulke? I could go on and on but that would serve no purpose.

The Yankee – Red Sox Rivalry is one of the biggest shots in the arm to major league ball! You said in the book you feared the Yankees. Gee and I fear the Red Sox every time they play. Ortiz is a Yankee killer. You’d think a big overweight guy like him would be no real trouble, but guess again. He is one impressive ballplayer. But who do I fear the most – Tim Wakefield. With few exceptions (I won’t mention them) he has the Yankees’ number. You’d think big guns could figure out how to hit a 69 mph pitch! And lastly, do the Sox have Mariano’s number – perhaps, but I tend to think not. They have definitely seen him more than most closers and thus Mariano just needs to play smarter. I do not think that chapter is written yet!

Bottom line – the rivalry continues, the (imagined) curse is gone, the Yankees and the Red Sox are the two best teams in baseball, although you’d not believe that so far this year. The Yankees performance has been sub par at best. Their 13 run inning two days ago was a fluke! It was good fun but it was still a fluke! The O’s may make a run at the Division this year too! It’s going to be a good 2005 for baseball. And you have to admit, the Yankees showed some class when the Sox got their rings – they could have stayed in the locker room or even on the dugout bench, but most were standing for the ceremony! The Sox got their rings – they deserved them – they played their hearts out last year – kudos to them!.

And one last thing, I hope that Manny, Curt, Keith, Johnny, Tim, Tek and Papi all get their pictures on the cover of Sports Illustrated this season!

Respectfully,
Bob Ireland
Constant Reader in Virginia

p.s. I do know a little about baseball. My twin Freshman sons play school ball – one at the Varsity level and one in JV! Additionally, I manage their Little League Seniors Team, where I grudgingly wear their team hat, the Red Sox! It’s the only time you’ll hear me shout, “go Sox!”

stroppygoblin
07-18-2014, 08:43 AM

(haha..j/k)

Not only did I read it cover to cover and let my blood pressure rise and rise as I read O'Nan's babble, but it pissed me off so much that I actually wrote a letter to Stephen King to discuss the book. I laid it on the line not expecting a reply. Here is the text of that letter to Sai King.

I know all of his mail is screened - I can only hope that it was passed onto him if for nothing other than his amusement!

Dear Mr. King,

I just finished listening to Faithful and feel compelled to write to you. First and foremost I must say that I am a Yankee Fan. Being as such, I only purchased this book because you wrote part of it. Had this been a book written solely by Stewart O’Nan I would have seen no reason to read it. Your Red Sox decisively won the World Series. Why would a 45 year fan of the Bronx Bombers, a fan that started watching Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris and Joe Pepitone and Tony Kubek as a 7-yr old kid back in 1960, want to relive the madness of 2004. I read (well actually listened) because I am one of your true Constant Readers – I soak up nearly everything you write, both fiction and non! Your fiction was the catalyst that got me reading again back in 1978, but this letter is not about fiction (although I’d like to believe it was). It’s about reality. I especially like your non-fiction writing with baseball as the topic. Head Down was a wonderful read, as was Fenway and the Great White Whale!

I was not disappointed this time, at least not disappointed with your portion. I fully understand that this was a partisan book – I would not have expected it to be anything but. Your Yankee hatred was clear and concise, to the point. I can respect that, as I hope you would respect anyone for following another team, be it the Yankees or even the dreaded O’s! However, I do feel that you wrote your entries with grace and perhaps even some respect. You told the story how you felt, you intermixed plenty of anecdotal information, and you gave credit where credit was due – whether that be with Johnny D, Franconia, or Papi or even Derek Jeter! Not once did you shamelessly dis the Yankees. I fully enjoyed reading all of your parts to Faithful. I can’t say I liked the ending, but then I knew that going into this reading!

I was disappointed, in fact angry at times, with O’Nan’s entries. I actually got the feeling that to O’Nan, this was not a book about being faithful to one’s team but about bashing that team’s rivalrous (I know that’s not a real word) opponent at every chance he had. A few things he said really stuck in my craw. Early on in the book he made a statement to the effect of “…and fuck those Yankee fans as well.” Well I take offense to statements such as that. I am a direct recipient of that statement. You’d expect words like those to come from the mouth of an immature teenager! Near the end of the book he was proud to state how he stood in the middle a Boston street at 2:00 in the morning and had the wonderful opportunity to “flip the bird” to the Yankee team bus! Gee, now there’s a fine gesture for any grown man – I am sure he was proud of his moment of glory! O’Nan could not leave well enough alone. If the Yankees won there was an excuse – gee after reading you’d think that there was a steroid factory in the Yankee locker room, and I hardly doubt that. Has there been abuse – I’m sure, but I can honestly say that could be the case with any team, including the Red Sox! In fact I think he made almost libelous statements about Hideki Matsui and steroid use! Or better yet, he stated the Yankees resorted to Small Ball or looked for walks as if it was a disgrace to the big leagues. Small Ball has its place in the bigs. He gloated on the fact that many of the Yankees were just hired guns! Gee what the hell are Schilling and Foulke? I could go on and on but that would serve no purpose.

The Yankee – Red Sox Rivalry is one of the biggest shots in the arm to major league ball! You said in the book you feared the Yankees. Gee and I fear the Red Sox every time they play. Ortiz is a Yankee killer. You’d think a big overweight guy like him would be no real trouble, but guess again. He is one impressive ballplayer. But who do I fear the most – Tim Wakefield. With few exceptions (I won’t mention them) he has the Yankees’ number. You’d think big guns could figure out how to hit a 69 mph pitch! And lastly, do the Sox have Mariano’s number – perhaps, but I tend to think not. They have definitely seen him more than most closers and thus Mariano just needs to play smarter. I do not think that chapter is written yet!

Bottom line – the rivalry continues, the (imagined) curse is gone, the Yankees and the Red Sox are the two best teams in baseball, although you’d not believe that so far this year. The Yankees performance has been sub par at best. Their 13 run inning two days ago was a fluke! It was good fun but it was still a fluke! The O’s may make a run at the Division this year too! It’s going to be a good 2005 for baseball. And you have to admit, the Yankees showed some class when the Sox got their rings – they could have stayed in the locker room or even on the dugout bench, but most were standing for the ceremony! The Sox got their rings – they deserved them – they played their hearts out last year – kudos to them!.

And one last thing, I hope that Manny, Curt, Keith, Johnny, Tim, Tek and Papi all get their pictures on the cover of Sports Illustrated this season!

Respectfully,
Bob Ireland
Constant Reader in Virginia

p.s. I do know a little about baseball. My twin Freshman sons play school ball – one at the Varsity level and one in JV! Additionally, I manage their Little League Seniors Team, where I grudgingly wear their team hat, the Red Sox! It’s the only time you’ll hear me shout, “go Sox!”

Interesting, but my overwhelming reaction is you wrote to the wrong guy!

Randall Flagg
07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Interesting, but my overwhelming reaction is you wrote to the wrong guy!
Bingo! O'Nan might have actually read it.

Brian James Freeman
07-18-2014, 07:19 PM
For a while now, I've been thinking about hand-numbering the Gift Edition since the print run isn't unreasonable in terms of the extra time/labor costs. Does something like that matter you? I'm not set on the idea, but I thought it might be a fun way to make this edition a little different than other Gift Editions... Thoughts?

Brian

Jimimck
07-18-2014, 08:24 PM
My opinion may not matter on this Brian since I haven't purchased one, but hand numbering on Gift editions isn't something that I really care about. For me it seems more important on signed editions only.

I've just read through this whole thread, and while I'm not a baseball fan (being from New Zealand I like cricket instead) I do like the sound of the production materials and am keen to see what the final publication turns out like.

Roseannebarr
07-18-2014, 09:38 PM
For a while now, I've been thinking about hand-numbering the Gift Edition since the print run isn't unreasonable in terms of the extra time/labor costs. Does something like that matter you? I'm not set on the idea, but I thought it might be a fun way to make this edition a little different than other Gift Editions... Thoughts?

Brian

I call dibs on #1. I do not have a #1 in my collection.
It seems like people like #d books. look at PS publishing doing Christine, CArrie, etc... Doesn't matter to me. But I am serious about #1. My home team lost to the red sox that year, so it would be a nice consolation prize. Don't forget to get Stephen King to sign my copy after you are done numbering it.

Thanks! Glen

Brian James Freeman
07-19-2014, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

Brian

dnemec
07-19-2014, 04:08 AM
I agree with Glen. It's neat, and I like the hand-numbered books, but I already bought it so it's not a deal breaker.

But with everything you are doing, Brian, how on earth do you think you'd have the time?!

Brian James Freeman
07-19-2014, 04:29 AM
I agree with Glen. It's neat, and I like the hand-numbered books, but I already bought it so it's not a deal breaker.

But with everything you are doing, Brian, how on earth do you think you'd have the time?!

My handwriting is terrible, so I'd be volunteering someone else with good handwriting for the job. ;)

Brian

dnemec
07-19-2014, 04:34 AM

My handwriting is terrible, so I'd be volunteering someone else with good handwriting for the job. ;)

Brian

Translation: I'll be making my wife do it. :P

stroppygoblin
07-19-2014, 04:58 AM
I've already ordered the #rd so its not going to make anymore sales, but I like the idea of hand numbered. Gives it a 'personal' touch. Just make sure the numbers are legible!! :)

Brian James Freeman
07-19-2014, 05:42 AM

Brian

Translation: I'll be making my wife do it. :P

HA!

The Library Policeman
07-19-2014, 06:01 AM
It's not a bad idea, Brian. I'll send you my gift editions of From A Buick 8, Secretary Of Dreams I & II, IT, Full Dark, No Stars, The Dark Man and Doctor Sleep and you can get Mrs Freeman to match them for me with her trusty pen. :P

tippy4
07-19-2014, 08:06 AM

Brian

I don't really care for numbered gift editions. DMG Books numbered the GE of The Little Sisters of Eluria and the Talisman/BlackHouse Gift Set....I thought it was pointless....and would have preferred they had not done so.

Dan
07-19-2014, 08:21 AM
I like numbered. My vote is yes.

skyofcrack
07-19-2014, 10:12 AM
I like the idea of numbered Gift Editions because sometimes that is the only one I get and if I got a signed as well then they can be matched! :)

Randall Flagg
07-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Hand numbered is great as long as they look like this:

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/481310785.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=B53F616F4B95E55301F1865D54D4FA48F0927CB57AB32433 3950DFB5ADDB3840

Not this:

http://cdn1.loyaltylobby.com/wp-content/gallery/april-2012/xsingapore-discount-economy-figures.jpg.pagespeed.ic.LlrNLpS-4j.jpg

RC65
07-19-2014, 01:04 PM
I'd argue that hand-numbering belongs on signed/limited editions only, not gift editions. It's one of the things that makes S/Ls unique and special; once features that gives S/Ls their unique cache migrate over to gift editions, S/Ls are inherently made less unique and special. Frankly, sometimes there's very little that separates Gift, S/L, and Lettereds...diluting the differences even further does damage to all editions and the desirability of collecting them.

uturn83
07-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Numbered!

tippy4
07-20-2014, 02:18 PM
I'd argue that hand-numbering belongs on signed/limited editions only, not gift editions. It's one of the things that makes S/Ls unique and special; once features that gives S/Ls their unique cache migrate over to gift editions, S/Ls are inherently made less unique and special. Frankly, sometimes there's very little that separates Gift, S/L, and Lettereds...diluting the differences even further does damage to all editions and the desirability of collecting them.

Well said.....I could not agree more.

Roseannebarr
07-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Just to be clear. I would like my gift edition numbered. Few gift editions are numbered, but we are all trying to get the same numbers on the ones that are. Since you are starting Books to Benefit and hopefully will have lots more books to offer, getting all the books in the series, same number might be a "unique" way to "entice" collectors to continue with your series of gift editions (even if it is not a SK book). at a cheaper price than the S/L.

Just remember there are several SK S/L not numbered and it didn't stop anyone from buying them! Still sold out.

Numbering doesn't hurt anything! and see above post! I called "dibs" on #1

Papaseraphim
07-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Numbering a gift edition is nice touch.

Randall Flagg
07-20-2014, 04:26 PM
I say hand numbering is wonderful. IMO, numbering a "gift" edition doesn't reduce the cachet of other King S/L'd editions.
My "The Regulators" and " 'Salem's Lot " won't suffer.

Robert Fulman
07-21-2014, 04:47 AM
I prefer to have gift editions numbered, as that makes each one special. However, I actually prefer the numbering used in the H&S editions. Rather than being hand-numbered, the numbers are printed on the page.

Brian James Freeman
07-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Thanks again to everyone for the feedback posted here and emailed!

Ari_Racing
07-21-2014, 09:41 AM
I'd preffer a gift numbered, of course.

Merlin1958
07-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Here's another way to contribute and possibly win a GE as well....

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18558-Books-to-Benefit-Faithful-Added-donation-to-the-HF

webstar1000
07-22-2014, 03:18 AM
so......... I went big time on Bill's advice.... feeling lucky here... and went for THREE (3) entries:tongue1:!

Brian James Freeman
08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
For those who were wondering if there might be some surprise features not mentioned in the announcement, you were correct. Each copy of the sold out Lettered Edition will be coming with one of these signed baseball cards, which have resided in Stewart's personal collection for the last decade:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/faithfulcardsstacksmall.jpg
http://www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/faithfulcards1small.jpg
http://www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/faithfulcards2small.jpg

Best,
Brian

Robert Fulman
08-08-2014, 11:27 AM
I think that sounds like a cool idea (as long as I get a half decent card). I just checked the roster and was surprised to learn that Ellis Burks was on the roster in 2004.

Randall Flagg
08-08-2014, 02:46 PM
I think that sounds like a cool idea (as long as I get a half decent card). I just checked the roster and was surprised to learn that Ellis Burks was on the roster in 2004.
Yes. Make sure you request David Ortiz. Manny Ramirez was the series MVP.

Robert Fulman
08-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Manny Ortez was my favorite!

Randall Flagg
08-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Manny Ortez was my favorite!
Then you better get your request for ManRam in.

Brian James Freeman
08-13-2014, 08:54 AM
I think that sounds like a cool idea (as long as I get a half decent card).

Stewart said he skipped any scrubs. ;)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
08-13-2014, 08:54 AM
By the way, the special edition of FAITHFUL will include the essays "It's Weird But True: The Gloom is Gone in Mudville" by Stephen King and "Love Train" by Stewart O'Nan, which did not appear in the original hardcover.

Brian

jon10g
08-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Have these essays appeared anywhere else in print?
Thanks

Brian James Freeman
08-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Have these essays appeared anywhere else in print?
Thanks

Yeah, they were in one of the trade paperback editions, but I had completely missed them for some reason!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
11-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Here is the latest update for those who aren't on the list:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/news/

Brian

Brian James Freeman
12-03-2014, 06:39 PM
I didn't think to post a note here at the time, but there was a second update in November posted here:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/news/

Brian

Lot guy
12-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the update!

Brian James Freeman
12-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the update!

There will be a new update on Friday or Monday, and I'll try to remember to post about it here!

Brian James Freeman
12-08-2014, 07:39 PM
The new update has arrived with some sneak peek photos:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/2014/12/08/faithful-by-stewart-onan-and-stephen-king-sneak-peek-photos/

http://i1.wp.com/www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/faithfulGIFTsneak02.jpg

Brian

racerx45
12-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Looking good Brian.

Merlin1958
12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
The new update has arrived with some sneak peek photos:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/2014/12/08/faithful-by-stewart-onan-and-stephen-king-sneak-peek-photos/

http://i1.wp.com/www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/faithfulGIFTsneak02.jpg

Brian

What an awful piece of propoganda!!! Looks about the same as the Red Sux, just awful!!! :YYY::lol::emot-flame::Ball Kick:

I'm just kidding of course. Very smart production!! CD hits it out of the park again!!!

Ben Staad
12-09-2014, 04:56 AM
Sharp looking book. Thanks for the update.

Brian James Freeman
12-17-2014, 11:17 AM
New update posted today:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/2014/12/17/faithful-by-stewart-onan-and-stephen-king-limited-edition-and-lettered-edition-sneak-peek-photos/

Featuring this sneak peek photo of the Limited Edition book:

http://i1.wp.com/www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/faithfulLimitedsneak01-LARGE.jpg

And this sneak peek photo of the Lettered Edition book:

http://i0.wp.com/www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/faithfulLetteredsneak02LARGE.jpg

Brian

racerx45
12-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Wow, they look great!

Merlin1958
12-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Better yet....

http://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A86.J72D2ZFUZFQA5cgPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBs OXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&va=books+about+the+yankees&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

stroppygoblin
12-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Whatever Bill thinks about the content, there is no denying those books are beautiful!
Can't wait for my LE!

Awesome Brian, just frickin awesome! :clap:

Randall Flagg
12-17-2014, 12:17 PM
The lettered reminds of SK's Dark Dreamers. Fantastic look!

jonp
12-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Wow, amazing looking books Brian. Just can't wait to get those.

Brian James Freeman
12-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Whatever Bill thinks about the content, there is no denying those books are beautiful!
Can't wait for my LE!

Thank you!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
12-17-2014, 12:31 PM
The lettered reminds of SK's Dark Dreamers. Fantastic look!

Thanks! I'm really pleased with what the hand-binder's work on this Lettered Edition. The leather and the imported cloth look great together, and the spine hubs are a really nice touch I've always wanted to use on a book.

Brian

Merlin1958
12-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Can't wait for my LE!

It truly is as you say, Simon. I can't help it, there is a clause in my contract that says so!! LOL

Ben Staad
12-17-2014, 02:21 PM
The books look amazing. Great job.

Merlin1958
12-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Just to be honest and to prove my commitment to the Haven Fund, I purchased one of these damnable books for the 2015 HF. So, when the bidding commences be aware that you are bidding on an item donated by the man who hates this book so much that he set one on fire!!! :emot-flame: Then again, maybe I should be a little less critical. I mean it did take them 86 years and the exhumation of a piano to finally win one!!! LOL

:YYY::YYY::YYY:

stroppygoblin
12-17-2014, 02:41 PM
All this fuss about grown men playing Rounders. It's a good job King didn't write about something important like Cricket!

INCOMING... DUCK!

Merlin1958
12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
All this fuss about grown men playing Rounders. It's a good job King didn't write about something important like Cricket!

INCOMING... DUCK!

Good thing you were wise enough to duck!!! LOL

Dolso
12-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Just to be honest and to prove my commitment to the Haven Fund, I purchased one of these damnable books for the 2015 HF. So, when the bidding commences be aware that you are bidding on an item donated by the man who hates this book so much that he set one on fire!!! :emot-flame: Then again, maybe I should be a little less critical. I mean it did take them 86 years and the exhumation of a piano to finally win one!!! LOL

Either that's an awesome commitment to HF or we're going to be bidding on an urn full of ashes.....

Bill on one hand??? -- fire in the other!!! Faithful in the middle---????

Merlin1958
12-20-2014, 06:05 PM

Either that's an awesome commitment to HF or we're going to be bidding on an urn full of ashes.....

Bill on one hand??? -- fire in the other!!! Faithful in the middle---????

LOL Nope straight up auction as usual. Much as I would like to burn it.... LOL

Robert Fulman
12-30-2014, 05:53 AM
I received my Gift Edition of Faithful yesterday, and it is an absolutely beautiful book. There is a lot of discussion about the PS Carrie Lettered Edition and whether it is "worth" $4,000+. I don't think anybody could hold Faithful in their hands and not feel like they are getting more than $85 worth of book. The book is over-sized and heavy. It is printed (in two colors) on an unbelievably nice paper stock. It has a ribbon page marker, and a two color stamped slipcase. On top of all that, Books to Benefit is donating (at least) 30% of the book's retail price (that is, 30% of $85, or $25.50) to the Haven Foundation. The Gift Edition isn't sold out yet, but it should be.

Based on the prices and limitations of the Gift, Limited, and Lettered Editions, Books to Benefit's donation to the Haven Foundation will be close to $50,000. Now that I've seen the finished product, I think it is incredible that they delivered such a beautiful book while also promising such a large amount to charity. I only hope that they will be as successful with the next title they choose to publish. Congratulations, Brian!

Ari_Racing
12-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Considering the same guys from Cemetery Dance were in charge, I don't have to doubt it's an amazing production. I NEVER received a book by CD that I didn't consider an amazing production.

Brian James Freeman
12-30-2014, 08:03 AM
I received my Gift Edition of Faithful yesterday, and it is an absolutely beautiful book. There is a lot of discussion about the PS Carrie Lettered Edition and whether it is "worth" $4,000+. I don't think anybody could hold Faithful in their hands and not feel like they are getting more than $85 worth of book. The book is over-sized and heavy. It is printed (in two colors) on an unbelievably nice paper stock. It has a ribbon page marker, and a two color stamped slipcase. On top of all that, Books to Benefit is donating (at least) 30% of the book's retail price (that is, 30% of $85, or $25.50) to the Haven Foundation. The Gift Edition isn't sold out yet, but it should be.

Based on the prices and limitations of the Gift, Limited, and Lettered Editions, Books to Benefit's donation to the Haven Foundation will be close to $50,000. Now that I've seen the finished product, I think it is incredible that they delivered such a beautiful book while also promising such a large amount to charity. I only hope that they will be as successful with the next title they choose to publish. Congratulations, Brian!

Thank you very much! It was a lot of fun to work on a project to benefit some very worthy causes that are doing a lot of good for people who need it.

I'm counting the last copies right now, and I think the Gift Edition will be Out of Print here in the next few days. Several of the retailers already came back asking for more, which is a nice sign.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Brian

MLG
12-30-2014, 10:11 AM

I only have the Artist Edition ordered so I will need to wait to have my copy in hand. However seeing the photo's of the Gift Edition, and the incredible quality and detail to that book, I can't imagine how impressive the Artist Edition will be. Just from the photo's I have to agree that at $85.00 that book is an incredible value. When you add to that some great charities are benefiting I know it is a book I will always cherish!

Robert Fulman
12-30-2014, 04:34 PM
One of my favorite touches: the inclusion of "The Slap" on the endpapers.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag74/Robert_Fulman/B20CDD17-0F52-43C6-8686-582F72FB807A_zpsktlnmim8.jpg

Brian James Freeman
12-30-2014, 04:38 PM

For the love of God, don't tell Bill! :)

Brian

Merlin1958
12-30-2014, 04:45 PM

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag74/Robert_Fulman/B20CDD17-0F52-43C6-8686-582F72FB807A_zpsktlnmim8.jpg

You Motherf**ker!!!! LOL

Too bad they didn't include, Pedro tossing poor, Don Zimmer on his ass!!!! :YYY::YYY::YYY::YYY::YYY:

BTW I'm j/k I got a "rep" to think about!! Awesome production, folks!!! Long live Aaron Boone & Bucky Fucking Dent!!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-31-2014, 01:46 AM

What are these men with funny hands doing?

Ben Staad
12-31-2014, 05:13 AM
Received a copy of this the other day and it is a beautiful and well put together book. Kudos to Brian and Books to Benefit.

(Thanks, Merlin!)

Randall Flagg
12-31-2014, 11:31 AM

It's a sport that is similar to cricket, except that it's actually entertaining to watch.

Joe315
01-01-2015, 12:16 AM

It's a sport that is similar to cricket, except that it's actually entertaining to watch.

Unless your a Cubs fan, which I am.:cool_002:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-01-2015, 01:53 AM

Hmmmmm. Similar to cricket, which is the most boring "sport" on the planet!

The Library Policeman
01-01-2015, 01:18 PM
It's more like "Rounders" than cricket tbh. Although both are soul destroying.

sentinel
01-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Brian,
Have all copies of Faithful gone out?

Brian James Freeman
01-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Brian,
Have all copies of Faithful gone out?

Yep, all orders for the Gift Edition should have shipped. If you ordered via CD, please drop Mindy a line if you haven't gotten a shipping notice. Thanks!

Brian

Randall Flagg
01-07-2015, 05:41 AM
If anyone didn't order, we will be auctioning a copy for the Haven Foundation Fundraiser.

stroppygoblin
01-07-2015, 07:43 AM
I was about to email Mindy and realized I have ordered the AE.. DOH! ><

Brian James Freeman
01-19-2015, 11:09 AM
The traycases for the Limited Edition of FAITHFUL by Stewart O’Nan and Stephen King are deep in production and should be finished next month. I received my first approval case and thought you might like to see a few quick photos of how everything turned out:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/FaithfulLimitedEditionSneakPeek01.jpg

You can see the rest of the photos here:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/2015/01/19/faithful-by-stewart-onan-and-stephen-king-limited-edition-sneak-peek-photos/

Brian

mkb.redux
01-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Brian,

Received one of my copies of FAITHFUL today. Good-looking book, but noticed immediately that the slipcase was larger than the book, and was bowed at the opening. Are they all like this (slightly too large), or did I get a bum slipcase?
Thanks.

Brian James Freeman
01-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Brian,

Received one of my copies of FAITHFUL today. Good-looking book, but noticed immediately that the slipcase was larger than the book, and was bowed at the opening. Are they all like this (slightly too large), or did I get a bum slipcase?
Thanks.

Yes, unfortunately the printer miscalculated the sizing when they produced the dummy book, which is always the risk when using a dummy book to get the sizing for a case.

The dummy book is made by the printer ahead of time, so the slipcase maker can have proper sizing. 99% of the time, it works out great. This is the third or fourth time in my career where the printer bungled it. (The other times the slipcases ended up too SMALL, which is actually much worse since it could damage the book over time.)

I think the rest of the presentation of the book is really quite nice, though, and the feedback about it has been overwhelmingly positive.

Brian

mkb.redux
01-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Brian,

Thanks.

Yes, unfortunately the printer miscalculated the sizing when they produced the dummy book, which is always the risk when using a dummy book to get the sizing for a case.

The dummy book is made by the printer ahead of time, so the slipcase maker can have proper sizing. 99% of the time, it works out great. This is the third or fourth time in my career where the printer bungled it. (The other times the slipcases ended up too SMALL, which is actually much worse since it could damage the book over time.)

I think the rest of the presentation of the book is really quite nice, though, and the feedback about it has been overwhelmingly positive.

Brian

Thank you. I think the book looks fabulous and am very pleased with it; just wanted to ask the question so that I'd know for sure that it is as it should be.

Brian James Freeman
01-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Thank you. I think the book looks fabulous and am very pleased with it; just wanted to ask the question so that I'd know for sure that it is as it should be.

Yeah, it's not quite what I had hoped, but these things happen and the rest turned out really nicely. The printer also goofed up on the Limited Edition stamping plates, so between those two issues on FAITHFUL and some headache-inducing trouble with production of CARRIE, 2014 was not one of their finest years. Ugh.

Brian

Patrick
01-21-2015, 01:04 PM
That's a good looking book, Brian.

Merlin1958
01-26-2015, 05:35 PM
This was a great idea and drive, just the wrong team to support (LOL), but otherwise it went to a very good cause. In addition to the "Giveaway" from my little add-on adventure there is a copy scheduled to be auctioned for the Haven Fund as well. Rest easy, I never actually had to touch it!! LOL However, you can bid away when the time comes!!! Additionally, the funds raised from my effort were utilized to pay the s/h for many of the current HF auction items, which have translated into significant donations to the overall fund raiser. Again, many thanks to all who participated!!!

racerx45
02-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Hi Brian-

Any updates on the S/L and Lettered Editions?

Brian James Freeman
02-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Hi Brian-

Any updates on the S/L and Lettered Editions?

Here's the update I'm preparing about the Signed Limited Edition:

"Although the actual Limited Edition books have turned out beautifully, the traycase maker had a problem with the hot foil stamping on the cases and the final production values were not acceptable. They’re examining what happened with the cases now and I’ve also overnighted several samples to the company that makes the foil for their reference in case it was problem with the foil itself. The plan is for the traycase maker to do a brand new run of cases from scratch as soon as they figure out how exactly the stamping ended up the way it did. As soon as they solve that problem, they’ll be able to set a production schedule and I’ll have a new estimated shipping date, which I’ll pass along to everyone."

I don't have a delivery date for the Lettered Edition yet, but the prototype photos I just received this morning look amazing! I'm waiting to hear back on the estimated delivery date now.

Best,
Brian

Brian James Freeman
03-17-2015, 04:25 AM
Good news! The new Limited Edition traycases are on the way and should arrive by the end of the month, so then it's just a matter of getting this edition into the shipping queue.

In addition, I'm now taking some photos of the first completely finished Lettered Edition to land on my desk. These will be shipping in April and turned out really nicely, I think.

Here is a quick photo of all three editions together for the first time:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/o_king104allbooksLARGE.jpg

** IF you still want a Limited Edition or Lettered Edition, I have a few copies left that I had held back for an indie retailer who didn't come through. These can now be ordered through the Cemetery Dance website while supplies last:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_king104

Best,
Brian

Lot guy
03-17-2015, 06:10 AM
Great job Brian!!!!

mkb.redux
03-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Beautiful books. Looking forward to my copy of the limited.

racerx45
03-17-2015, 09:57 AM
That is a nice looking set.

jonp
03-17-2015, 10:51 AM
That lettered edition looks amazing. Is the case solid wood or veneered? I like that they are stamped with their specific number.

Brian James Freeman
03-17-2015, 11:09 AM
That lettered edition looks amazing. Is the case solid wood or veneered? I like that they are stamped with their specific number.

Solid Ash, it turned out really nice!

Here is a shot of the Lettered Edition book that I posted on the website a while back that I might not have posted here:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/images/faithful/faithfulLETTERED03LARGE.jpg

Brian

jonp
03-17-2015, 11:12 AM
I love it! Can't wait!

Roseannebarr
03-17-2015, 11:21 AM

Solid maple, it turned out really nice!

Here is a shot of the Lettered Edition book that I posted on the website a while back that I might not have posted here:

http://www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/images/faithful/faithfulLETTERED03LARGE.jpg

Brian

I love the lettered book and since it is for charity can i have a copy? Nobody is poorer than me after buying all your books!

LOVE this book!

Brian James Freeman
03-18-2015, 07:59 AM
My brain malfunctioned and I said "Maple" for the wood, but I meant Ash. We talked about both options since they're used to make wooden bats, and I thought either would look good, so Dick went with Ash. They're beautiful cases and this seemed like the perfect edition to do a wooden case for given the subject matter.

For those who don't know, Dick's website is http://www.Bookslipcase.com and he can do amazing things with wood. He's easy to work with and really knows his stuff. For those of you who purchased the Lettered Edition of FAITHFUL, check out how careful he was to line up the grain from side to side. Amazing attention to detail.

Brian

Merlin1958
03-18-2015, 06:58 PM
My brain malfunctioned and I said "Maple" for the wood, but I meant Ash. We talked about both options since they're used to make wooden bats, and I thought either would look good, so Dick went with Ash. They're beautiful cases and this seemed like the perfect edition to do a wooden case for given the subject matter.

For those who don't know, Dick's website is http://www.Bookslipcase.com and he can do amazing things with wood. He's easy to work with and really knows his stuff. For those of you who purchased the Lettered Edition of FAITHFUL, check out how careful he was to line up the grain from side to side. Amazing attention to detail.

Brian

FWIW, I have read that most Major Leaguers currently use "Maple". bit if anyone knows "wood" it's our man, Richard Olson (Dolso). The "Ash" has a really great looking texture and definition. Brian, despite the subject matter, I think this was a wonderful venture for CD to be a leading part of and applaud your efforts. Heck, I even bought a few copies and didn't set them all on fire!!! LOL :belial:

Brian James Freeman
03-18-2015, 07:06 PM
FWIW, I have read that most Major Leaguers currently use "Maple". bit if anyone knows "wood" it's our man, Richard Olson (Dolso). The "Ash" has a really great looking texture and definition.

Whenever I hear "Ash," I think of Bruce Campbell, so who knows what I'm thinking about these days... ;)

Brian

Merlin1958
03-18-2015, 07:09 PM
FWIW, I have read that most Major Leaguers currently use "Maple". bit if anyone knows "wood" it's our man, Richard Olson (Dolso). The "Ash" has a really great looking texture and definition.

Whenever I hear "Ash," I think of Bruce Campbell, so who knows what I'm thinking about these days... ;)

Brian

LOL "Housewares"!!! LOL

Edit: Oh, what the hell. Anyexcuse for an AOD clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or3okI_mad8

Theli
03-19-2015, 02:41 PM

Brian

Ha! Good call Brian!

Brian James Freeman
04-17-2015, 10:39 AM
The first copies of the Limited Edition of FAITHFUL are starting to ship:

http://i1.wp.com/www.bookstobenefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/FaithfulLimitedEdition500.jpg?zoom=2&resize=500%2C667

Brian

zelig
04-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Looking good Brian...

Merlin1958
04-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Though I thoroughly disapprove of the subject matter utilized, I do whole heartedly support the charity involved and I am very glad to see it benefiting so well. I have tried to do my "little bit" to show my support despite my misgivings. This is a great cause and thank you all for participating.

Rahfa
04-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Though I thoroughly disapprove of the subject matter utilized, I do whole heartedly support the charity involved and I am very glad to see it benefiting so well. I have tried to do my "little bit" to show my support despite my misgivings. This is a great cause and thank you all for participating.

I read and liked the Billy Martin book, so I think you can get over it.

Merlin1958
04-17-2015, 07:28 PM

I read and liked the Billy Martin book, so I think you can get over it.

Yep, nothing a bonfire won't cure!!! LOL LOL

Robert Fulman
04-28-2015, 03:36 AM
Got my letter Q and signed Gabe Kapler card yesterday. I'm glad I was able to participate in Books to Benefit's first effort. I hope there will be more titles in the series. I would love to see Hearts in Atlantis get a similar treatment, but I understand that they can't just pump out SK titles. I sold three SK signed books to buy the lettered edition; that's not a good long term strategy, but I was glad to do it for this title and for this cause (see above, re: head trauma and my daughter's birth).

The book itself is quite beautiful. Bound in leather and cloth to match the Red Sox colors, with silvered (?; I don't know what the silver equivalent to "gilded" is) pages. The spine of the book is gorgeous, with raised hubs and stamped lettering. The book slides easily into (and out of; hopefully that doesn't cause any issues in shipping) the lined wooden slipcase. It would have been nice if the card was integrated into the case somehow. As it is, I would consider it a nice bonus rather than an essential part of the book (although I won't be separating them).

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag74/Robert_Fulman/8DFDF9AD-963F-4D74-8B45-3BA08DB2F85A_zpsftzim6rb.jpg

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-28-2015, 06:02 AM
...with silvered (?; I don't know what the silver equivalent to "gilded" is) pages.

silvered is correct.

BTW, one of the dictionary definitions of "guilded" is: "having a pleasing or showy appearance that conceals something of little worth."

Brian James Freeman
04-28-2015, 06:20 AM
Got my letter Q and signed Gabe Kapler card yesterday. I'm glad I was able to participate in Books to Benefit's first effort. I hope there will be more titles in the series. I would love to see Hearts in Atlantis get a similar treatment, but I understand that they can't just pump out SK titles. I sold three SK signed books to buy the lettered edition; that's not a good long term strategy, but I was glad to do it for this title and for this cause (see above, re: head trauma and my daughter's birth).

The book itself is quite beautiful. Bound in leather and cloth to match the Red Sox colors, with silvered (?; I don't know what the silver equivalent to "gilded" is) pages. The spine of the book is gorgeous, with raised hubs and stamped lettering. The book slides easily into (and out of; hopefully that doesn't cause any issues in shipping) the lined wooden slipcase. It would have been nice if the card was integrated into the case somehow. As it is, I would consider it a nice bonus rather than an essential part of the book (although I won't be separating them).

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag74/Robert_Fulman/8DFDF9AD-963F-4D74-8B45-3BA08DB2F85A_zpsftzim6rb.jpg

Thanks for the detailed thoughts on the edition! I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I know some people on this board feel that anything not signed by Steve is worthless, but a lot of people worked hard on that edition to make it special. Hopefully that care and attention shows in the final production.

I also agree about the baseball card. It was a fairly late addition to production -- they weren't part of the promised package, but Stewart offered to share them! -- and we played around with several ways to store them in the case. Unfortunately, without changing the budget considerably, it just wouldn't work in a way everyone could agree on. Instead, I shelled out just a little bit of my own cash to buy upgraded "display cases" for the cards, so at least they'll be protected nicely on the shelf -- I hope!

Thanks again for the detailed post about this edition!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-28-2015, 06:21 AM
...with silvered (?; I don't know what the silver equivalent to "gilded" is) pages.

silvered is correct.

BTW, one of the dictionary definitions of "guilded" is: "having a pleasing or showy appearance that conceals something of little worth."

Geez, you'd think it would be a cheaper process if it's really just putting lipstick on a pig! I'll have to ask my hand-binder about that... ;)

Brian