PDA

View Full Version : Other writers like King?

bennylava
06-05-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm looking for other writers like Stephen King. Go ahead and say it, there aren't any. King has this way, where he never insults your intelligence. He doesn't much repeat himself, and he moves the story along. Now if only all the other writers could be as good as him lol.

But I've tried Dean Koontz, and it just isn't the same. Koontz may have 5 or 8 good books, whereas King has almost all of his that are good. Is there another writer out there, that is at least somewhat comparable to King? In the sci-fi horror genre, that is. Not all of king's books are horror, many of them are sci fi, as you well know. I'm into post apocalyptic, and distopian themes as well. But I'm looking for that overall quality that King has, that just sets him apart from Koontz. In comparison, he's a cut above.

For some strange reason that Koontz doesn't seem to have noticed, he can't stop talking about how great dogs are. Of all creatures. And in particular, how great golden retrievers are. Its gone beyond repetition at this point, and it's become quite lame. We've all heard quite enough about how great he thinks the breed is, and its to the point of stupidity. Someone needs to tell him that dogs aren't innocent at all and that for the most part they're actually quite vile a good percentage of the time. And I have a dog; its just something that you know. One wonders if he's ever even been around one for long. Anyway, what writers would you recommend for this purpose?

fearless-freak
06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
try James Herbert

jhanic
06-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Also try some of Dan Simmons. Not all his books are horror, but almost all have a great story.

John

webstar1000
06-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Also try some of Dan Simmons. Not all his books are horror, but almost all have a great story.

John
After my next two books... I am doing his Summer story... heard it compared to IT.

Jean
06-05-2014, 01:23 PM
There are no authors like King. Not because he is the best, but because he is unique. Except some (most, in fact) of his later books, he always has this very special ability of making, often within one page, let alone one chapter, a lot of smaller, atomar, seemingly not connected stories, observations, conflicts and thoughts - and then make them work towards building a whole.

mattgreenbean
06-05-2014, 06:35 PM
I really like robert mccammon. He is to the south, as king is to the north.

bennylava
06-05-2014, 08:33 PM
There are no authors like King. Not because he is the best, but because he is unique. Except some (most, in fact) of his later books, he always has this very special ability of making, often within one page, let alone one chapter, a lot of smaller, atomar, seemingly not connected stories, observations, conflicts and thoughts - and then make them work towards building a whole.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I guess I'm just looking for one that is like him in just one major way: He doesn't insult your intelligence. I'm not bragging or anything, but I feel like I'm a lot smarter than Dean Koontz. I probably am. I don't feel like I'm any smarter than King at all. I connect a lot better with King, the way he writes things makes me feel like that's the way I would have thought if I was there, more often than not.

Jean
06-07-2014, 04:17 AM
yes, that too! it's that "hole in the page" he describes in Misery. There are very few authors that can do it. His power is such that my bearMother has the same feeling after my retelling King's novels to her. She confessed she missed that sitting around the campfire with Roland and the ka-tet, missed it as hard as only those who have experienced it can.

DoctorZaius
06-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Dan Simmons is one of my favorites because he is a genre jumper. Horror: Summer of Night, Children of the Night, and my personal favorite, Carrion Comfort. Science fiction: Hyperion(s) are four of the best sci-fi I have every read, even Illium and Olympos are great. Then there is his Hard Boiled Joe Kurtz series - great stuff, Dennis Lehane'ish.

Clive Barker is a true genius. Books of Blood and Damnation Game shocked me with how good they are. Then Imajica moved me in a way that few fantasy novels can. Weaveworld is beyond description and Coldheart Canyon was a real return to his horror roots. This guy is everything King says he is.

Robert McCammon is brilliant. Swan Song is nearly as good as The Stand, and most of his early books are great (The Thirst & The Wolf's Hour).

I love early Straub. Floating Dragon and Koko especially!

And I love early Dean Koontz. Watchers, Strangers, Lightning, Phantoms, etc. Gotta stay early though.

Anyone read Rex Miller?

bennylava
06-07-2014, 08:47 AM
yes, that too! it's that "hole in the page" he describes in Misery. There are very few authors that can do it. His power is such that my bearMother has the same feeling after my retelling King's novels to her. She confessed she missed that sitting around the campfire with Roland and the ka-tet, missed it as hard as only those who have experienced it can.

I never read misery because I knew a little bit about the plot and it wasn't really the type I was into. I guess I'm still not really into that particular genre. So could you explain the "hole in the page" thing?

And I noticed that you said that "few" other writers can. That means that you've noticed at least some others can, even if they are few and far between. Would you please name them? Unless you already have.

Jean
06-07-2014, 10:21 AM
oh... the first that comes to mind is Александр Бушков. I don't think it helps... I'll try to think of some who write in English.

You must read Misery. Which King books have you already read and loved?

(the hole in the page: a writer starts writing and sees a page, white, and the black letters he is typing. Then it disappears, as if a hole in the page opens, and then he only sees what he is writing about, as if he is inside. - that's, approximately, how it was explained in Misefy. I argue that it's what happens to a King reader: he falls through this hole in the page right into the story)

mae
06-07-2014, 10:32 AM
I would say Michael Crichton is another author I love who can glue you to the pages and not let go. He's got different strengths than King but ultimately the same talent for making you believe what you're reading is real. I think I read The Andromeda Strain in a day, couldn't put it down.

Jean
06-07-2014, 10:36 AM
oh, Crichton is an entirely different kettle of fish! it's like talking with an outstandingly intelligent man. It's essentially adventures of ideas, not people (who are rather schematic, although loveable and hateable in their schematic way).

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-07-2014, 11:59 AM
I was going to suggest Crichton. He is the only other author that immediatly comes to mind that has the readability of King. The reader is completely and immediately absorbed in the story, and it is always told with such finesse. I enjoy a great number of authors and individual works, but no one author do I find as enjoyable as SK.

jhanic
06-07-2014, 12:34 PM
My only objection to Chrichton is his characterizations. I like to identify with at least some of his characters and I usually can't.

John

DoctorZaius
06-07-2014, 03:35 PM
I totally agree, Chrichton characters are caricatures at best. Love his plot development. He, like John Grisham, write movies more than they write books. Good movies.

bennylava
06-14-2014, 03:24 PM
oh... the first that comes to mind is Александр Бушков. I don't think it helps... I'll try to think of some who write in English.

You must read Misery. Which King books have you already read and loved?

(the hole in the page: a writer starts writing and sees a page, white, and the black letters he is typing. Then it disappears, as if a hole in the page opens, and then he only sees what he is writing about, as if he is inside. - that's, approximately, how it was explained in Misefy. I argue that it's what happens to a King reader: he falls through this hole in the page right into the story)

Well I have read and loved the dark tower series. Also the collection of short stories he has. Its all in one book.. IIRC graveyard shift was one of the stories in the book. Pet Cemetary, some other books of his like that...I can't remember now lol. Its been so long, and I've read so many. The most recent was the dark tower series which was just greatness.

Actually when I started this thread, I should have been more specific. I should have said, that I'm looking for some Audiobooks that are from writers that are like king. These days, I've switched most of my reading to listening. I read the internet a lot during the day, and when I'm driving I love to just sit there and listen. Are there any good recommendations for audiobooks, that are from writers that are similar to king? Perhaps some that are from the writers already mentioned in this thread. I ask because as I'm sure you're all already aware, not all of any particular writer's works have been transferred to audiobook. Some remain only in print or ebook.

Jean
06-16-2014, 01:29 AM
bears are useless, then; they never listen to audiobooks

bennylava
06-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Um... well..

How bout them audiobooks then?

Jon
06-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Audiobooks? Huh??

If youall's books talk...youall may wanna talk to youall's preacher!