PDA

View Full Version : Wave 1A: Misery vs. The Green Mile

mae
06-04-2014, 06:01 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Misery_face.jpgvs.http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Green_Mile_Hardback_face.jpg

This is the third and final round of our 2014 Constant Reader Awards. Please vote for the book you deem better. The winner receives 0.1 points added to its score previously acquired in the first two rounds.

If you haven't yet read either book or both of them, please vote Never read one or both titles. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Jean
06-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Misery

divemaster
06-05-2014, 04:40 AM
Misery, yeah.

WeDealInLead
06-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Glad to see Misery take this one.

I rate The Green Mile pretty highly but I'll never understand why people consider it a classic or this great book. I would actually like to hear a detailed explanation why. If you're of the "Can't explain why, I don't analyze books that way, I just like what I like" school, then don't bother. Is it the voice, the POV, the character development, some chapter that just spoke to you, the writing style, the quality of writing... tell me. I'm not really expecting an answer though and this isn't a challenge. It's just that once I step outside the "I like it because I like it" territory nothing really stands out about TGM.

mae
06-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Well this may not satisfy your criteria but The Green Mile is the only book to have ever made me cry.

Jean
06-07-2014, 02:33 AM
bears always cry fountains over books, but, paradoxically, TGM was an exception

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-07-2014, 11:29 AM
I really liked all the characters in TGM, and I thought they were very well drawn. Delacroix was a very likable character, and I really started to sympathize with him and was really shaken by "The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix" installment. In contrast, I loathed Percy Wetmore, I felt like he got what was coming to him. I love the character of John Coffey and was devastated by the end of the novel. Wild Bill was also a very unique and entertaining character. I guess what I am trying to say is that TGM is very much a character driven novel. (My favorite kind) Whether you love them or hate them, they draw you in. I found that I cared about them. I also loved the story within the story aspect of the novel and how it comes full circle with Mr. Jingles. I felt so sad for Paul when he describes how he has had to watch everyone that he has ever cared about die, and that he thinks that is his judgement for allowing John Coffey to be executed. It was a very touching story played out by incredibly interesting characters.

Jean
06-07-2014, 11:32 AM
bears wish they could see it that way

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-07-2014, 11:37 AM
I am surprised by Bears' preferences in this case, seeing how most bears are brown and this particular bear usually sees eye to snout with Childes of Browning on literary matters.

Jean
06-07-2014, 11:42 AM
bears too are amazed! but then again, there are pandas and polar bears among us bears. It's them the dissenters.

mae
06-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Yes I too don't understand this mystery. The Green Mile would seem like the perfect novel for bears.

Jean
06-08-2014, 12:30 AM
bears also hate Hearts in Atlantis and the Kennedy novel (if it helps), - I am only naming the universal favorites

ladysai
06-08-2014, 02:20 PM
I love The Green Mile.
Each reread is like a visit with friends. And Mr Jingles is one of my most favorite literary animals.

mae
06-11-2014, 06:40 AM
The poll has closed. The winner with 57.89% of the vote was Misery. It receives 0.1 points in addition to its current FAS (Final Average Score), making it 7.333796296 or 82.40%.