PDA

View Full Version : Best Horror - Round 3 - Group 3

fernandito
05-30-2014, 07:08 AM
The Ring.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/Theringpostere.jpg/220px-Theringpostere.jpg

The Shining
http://moviescriptsource.com/images/The%20Shining.jpg

Night of the Living Dead
http://apocalypticfilms.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/night-of-the-living-dead-cover-kyra-schon.jpg

Silence of the Lambs
http://movie-shop.us/pictures/Silence_of_the_Lambs,_The.jpg

mae
05-30-2014, 07:12 AM
The Shining. Whoever says it's not scary and not a good film is being disingenuous. Including King.

frik
05-30-2014, 07:23 AM
The Shining - not because I love this movie (I don't), or because it's King-related (who cares),but because it's by Kubrick, my #1 director.

sk

Heather19
05-30-2014, 08:06 AM
The Shining! My all-time favorite horror film. It's perfect.

Jean
05-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Romero

Heather19
05-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Not The Shining Jean?

Jean
05-30-2014, 08:25 AM
No... I am sorry, I liked it to an extent, but I wasn't really impressed. And there's only one scene that really scared, or rather, disturbed, me

All work and no play etc

Otherwise, it's very much one-man show (Nicholson's), and what he does has nothing to do with horror, or tragedy, or drama of a man whose soul is his own no more, - but just a brilliant display of his outstanding abilities. Which is fun to watch, I don't dispute that, but somehow for me it makes the whole movie miss the point.

Romero's film was a little on the dullish side, but it left a lingering aftertaste; then, it's an undiluted classic, and bears always love it; then, the ending is very strong. I can't say I loved this movie, or will ever watch it again (unless I desperately want to watch something, and there's nothing else), but I respect and appreciate it more than any other in this bracket.

fernandito
05-30-2014, 08:37 AM
The only concession I'll make of The Shining as a potential 'failure' is as an adaptation of SK's work. As a film though it's perfect.

Heather19
05-30-2014, 08:47 AM
No... I am sorry, I liked it to an extent, but I wasn't really impressed. And there's only one scene that really scared, or rather, disturbed, me

All work and no play etc

Otherwise, it's very much one-man show (Nicholson's), and what he does has nothing to do with horror, or tragedy, or drama of a man whose soul is his own no more, - but just a brilliant display of his outstanding abilities. Which is fun to watch, I don't dispute that, but somehow for me it makes the whole movie miss the point.

Romero's film was a little on the dullish side, but it left a lingering aftertaste; then, it's an undiluted classic, and bears always love it; then, the ending is very strong. I can't say I loved this movie, or will ever watch it again (unless I desperately want to watch something, and there's nothing else), but I respect and appreciate it more than any other in this bracket.

I was always under the impression that it was one of your favorites for some reason, so I was just surprised to see you hadn't voted for it. And I agree about The Night of the Living Dead's ending. Easily one of the best endings to a film.

The only concession I'll make of The Shining as a potential 'failure' is as an adaptation of SK's work. As a film though it's perfect.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think it even failed as an adaptation. Sure it's a bit different and it missed some big themes with the book. But there's been so many bad SK adaptations, that maybe I just automatically group this one with the good ones :lol:

fernandito
05-30-2014, 12:58 PM
The Shining is ahead by one point, but it's a close race!!

Mattrick
05-30-2014, 01:10 PM
I gave some love to the Ring, why not. The Shining will make it through. I wasn't too wowed by Night of the Living Dead and I'm sure if I had of seen it much earlier in life it would have seemed more impressive.

I love The Shining. Visually I think it's a complete masterpiece and it's one of those movies that's almost a shot fest, just great shot after great shot like Barry Lyndon, except not boring as hell.

Ricky
05-30-2014, 01:59 PM
I think Night of the Living Dead isn't as "loved" (but I'm not sure that's even the right word) now because it has influenced the content and style of so many horror movies, that it's a case of something fresh back then not being as fresh now.

Merlin1958
05-30-2014, 02:25 PM
As I have stated previously, I hate the Kubrik version of "The Shining" for its shabby treatment of the source material IMHO. So I went with "Silence of the Lambs", even though I don't consider it a true "horror" film.

Just an idle thought, but ifyou think SOTL is a "Horror" movie then why not "Seven"? Just curious is all.

webstar1000
05-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Silence deserves this. A scary movie with actual good acting? There isn't that many out there...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-30-2014, 05:01 PM
Sticking with The Shining. I love all these movies, but The Shining is the only one where my fingers betray me while flipping through the channels and insist that I watch the rest.

Heather19
05-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Wow, they're all super close.

needfulthings
05-30-2014, 06:30 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img835/9663/lp5v3.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img835/5986/ksrt.jpg

fernandito
06-02-2014, 07:14 AM
I love The Shining. Visually I think it's a complete masterpiece and it's one of those movies that's almost a shot fest, just great shot after great shot like Barry Lyndon, except not boring as hell.

It's definitely something else. It's just one of those films where it seems every single shot was meticulously mulled over and planned before hand; nothing happens by accident.

Ricky
06-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Voted for Night of the Living Dead.

dnemec
06-02-2014, 07:42 AM
I had to go with The Silence of the Lambs. Fantastic group, though. All 4 are movies that I have watched repeatedly.

Heather19
06-02-2014, 08:23 AM
We really need more votes for The Shining please :D

Jean
06-02-2014, 10:00 AM

It's definitely something else. It's just one of those films where it seems every single shot was meticulously mulled over and planned before hand; nothing happens by accident.
I thought that's what cinema was about?

fernandito
06-02-2014, 10:11 AM

I thought that's what cinema was about?

Yes, but the difference lies in execution. Kubrick just seems to operate on a different level.

mae
06-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Which is why to me the best film ever made is Barry Lyndon. One could not make a film any better than that.

Mattrick
06-03-2014, 02:05 AM
I would say one could not make such a beauitfully composed film than Barry Lyndon. So many of the shots are like paintings, it's rather astounding. Narrative-wise I don't think it was a fantastic movie, good but not fantastic.

Tommy
06-03-2014, 01:54 PM
this was the most difficult choice so far, I love The Silence of the Lambs but it really is more of a psychological crime thriller than a horror film, even though it has one of the greatest movie villains of all time, I had to go with The Shining because it still has the power to bewitch me into a stunned and appreciative silence every time I see it

fernandito
06-04-2014, 07:38 AM
The Shining with dat comeback!

Heather19
06-04-2014, 09:50 AM
I was beginning to get a little worried. Hopefully it stays there where it should be.

Jean
06-04-2014, 01:37 PM
anything but Lambs

mae
06-09-2014, 05:36 AM
Glad to see The Shining make it through.

Heather19
06-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Me too, I was a little worried for a bit there.