PDA

View Full Version : Want to TELL ME WHERE TO GO? ................ Bookstores, etc. in your area.

EXPLORER
05-25-2014, 09:39 AM
When I travel I often try to prepare by looking for options I should check out in any area I’ll be visiting.
When time allows, I look up Rare Bookstores, used or specialty book stores as well as unique stores or places I have in the past found to provide opportunity for unique treasures. Sometime I recall a place mentioned previously by a member here.
I also often try to keep in mind if other members may reside nearby who I might be able to meet while passing through or those who can suggest the “Don’t miss” spots in any given location whether it be a fabulous diner, a special event, the best brewery, a flea-market that often yields significant items or a vista with a remarkable view.

With that in mind I am starting this thread so those traveling may inquire of locals or others that have been there to share “WHERE TO GO”.

EXPLORER
05-25-2014, 10:48 AM
I wanted to start this thread a few weeks back when traveling to Minneapolis (a neat city).
We were staying downtown for a few days and only using public transportation however found a number of places to check out even without this thread.
Here are a few places I found or visited with my thoughts:

Midway Books
1579 University Ave W, St Paul, MN
This is an interesting store with great potential, good staff and some signed King available on my visit.

Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore
2864 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis, MN
Very interesting store with piles in the isles. Lots of stuff to peruse through. Many old maganzines Fantasy and Science Fiction mags for as little as $3. You would need to spend time however may locate a great find.
Uncle Edgars Mystery Bookstore
Attached to Uncle Hugo’s with similar stock of all sorts of mysteries.

James & Mary Laurie Booksellers
Old address: 921 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN
Current address: 250 3rd Ave. North (At Washington)
Minneapolis, MN, 55401
Very well organized with nice shelves full of books. Had a few King Limiteds at high prices. VERY proud of thier books.
When I was leaving after admiring and discussing his King Stock ( all items I already had), he mentioned he would discount those in store prices significantly. Worth a visit.

Book$Mart Incorporated
1300 W Lake St, Minneapolis, MN
This was an interesting used book store in a huge basement location which appears to have potential as seems like gets a bit of turnover.
Liked the racks of books displaying “just arrived”, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. with table for each day.

Magers & Quinn Booksellers
3038 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN
Some old books. Mainly new, Some signed books from events (No King)

Half Price Books
At least two in the area. I often find things at these stores. (Kind of hit or miss). I did not get to them as was traveling by public transportation and only wandered so far from downtown.

EXPLORER
05-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Heading to Orlando FL in a couple weeks. ANY suggestions of places to go (other than the theme parks) ?
Any Bookstores I should be visiting?

Joe315
05-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Phoenix/Scottsdale

The Poisoned Pen
4014 N Goldwater Blvd #101, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 USA www.poisonedpen.com
Mainly mysteries and thrillers. They specialize in signed first editions and do a lot of signings throughout the year. Also have paperback backs as well. Staff is great, very friendly.

The Book Gallery
3643 E Indian School Rd, Phoenix, AZ
Lots of used books in many genres, fiction and nonfiction. Again, a great staff.

By The Book
1045 East Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014 www.bythebooklc.com
Lots of signed books. Also many genres covered as well.

Dog Earred Pages
16428 N 32nd Street, Suite 111, Phoenix, AZ www.dogearedpagesusedbooks.com
Used books and plenty of them. Not sure if this is still open as they had some financial issues in the last year, but great staff. Hope they can get through the tough times.

There are also some Half Price Books in the valley. You can get lucky and find a treasure buried among the masses but mainly just used hardbacks and paperbacks.

*EDIT: great thread idea by the way. I am always looking for stores to go to when I travel.

George at C-Springs
05-25-2014, 02:13 PM
While not many of you will get the chance to visit it, on Ramstein Air Base in Germany is a little used book store called BooksRMagic. I picked up a mint trade Drawing of the Three there, some UK editions, and a whole lotta Star Trek paperbacks.

Lot guy
05-25-2014, 05:41 PM
NICKELWISE has a used book shop here in Colorado. I hope he sees this thread & post info. He is always a pleasure to do business with!

Merlin1958
05-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Phoenix/Scottsdale

The Poisoned Pen
Mainly mysteries and thrillers. They specialize in signed first editions and do a lot of signings throughout the year. Also have paperback backs as well. Staff is great, very friendly.

The Book Gallery
Lots of used books in many genres, fiction and nonfiction. Again, a great staff.

By The Book

Dog Earred Pages
Used books and plenty of them. Not sure if this is still open as they had some financial issues in the last year, but great staff. Hope they can get through the tough times.

There are also some Half Price Books in the valley. You can get lucky and find a treasure buried among the masses but mainly just used hardbacks and paperbacks.

*EDIT: great thread idea by the way. I am always looking for stores to go to when I travel.

Good stuff for the Phoenix area, Joe. However you forgot "Bookman's" a MUST stop in for a peek as you just never know what they will have on hand, and cheap. The place is a book and media exchange almost like a pawn shop for books, records, etc.

Also, I agree great idea for a thread, James!!!

Scoogs
05-25-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm heading to Portland soon and have Powell's on my list. Are there any other bookstores worth checking out?

Joe315
05-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Phoenix/Scottsdale

The Poisoned Pen

The Book Gallery

By The Book

Dog Earred Pages

Good stuff for the Phoenix area, Joe. However you forgot "Bookman's" a MUST stop in for a peek as you just never know what they will have on hand, and cheap. The place is a book and media exchange almost like a pawn shop for books, records, etc.

Don't know if I've been to a Bookmans yet. I'll have to find one close by.

Merlin1958
05-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Phoenix/Scottsdale

The Poisoned Pen

The Book Gallery

By The Book

Dog Earred Pages

Don't know if I've been to a Bookmans yet. I'll have to find one close by.

You HAVE to stop in to this place. I have seen entire "collections" on the shelves at times from "pissed off" girlfriends!! LOL

http://bookmans.com/stores/

Of course, you just never know what will be on the shelves, but you just have to look!!! They are NOT collectors!!

Nickelwise
05-27-2014, 10:57 AM
NICKELWISE has a used book shop here in Colorado. I hope he sees this thread & post info. He is always a pleasure to do business with!

Thanks for the good words Lot Guy, but my bookstore is no more. My company is in the process of going under, and the retail part was taken over by someone else who didn't want books in the store, so I'm staring down the barrel of unemployment, and also have 30,000 books that I haven't figured out what to do with, though some will probably end up going on the Collectible Classifieds thread soon.

stroppygoblin
05-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Anybody recommend anything in Washington DC? I'll be there for 5 days, 2nd week of June.

Dan
05-27-2014, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the good words Lot Guy, but my bookstore is no more. My company is in the process of going under, and the retail part was taken over by someone else who didn't want books in the store, so I'm staring down the barrel of unemployment, and also have 30,000 books that I haven't figured out what to do with, though some will probably end up going on the Collectible Classifieds thread soon.

Let me know what Richard Matheson books you have

Dan
05-27-2014, 01:02 PM
I will be in St. Louis in June. I've never had any luck finding any good book stores there. Any suggestions?

Nickelwise
05-27-2014, 01:19 PM
The only Matheson I have that I know of (still have a lot of inventory to do) is a first Bantam paperback printing of Dark Forces signed by by Ray Bradbury, Joyce Carol Oates, Robert Bloch, Ramsey Campbell, Dennis Etchison, Richard Matheson, Richard Christian Matheson and Edward Bryant. I bought it in a lot and don't remember the story behind the signatures, but when I get a chance, I'll track it down and get you more information if you're interested.

Dan
05-27-2014, 02:00 PM
The only Matheson I have that I know of (still have a lot of inventory to do) is a first Bantam paperback printing of Dark Forces signed by by Ray Bradbury, Joyce Carol Oates, Robert Bloch, Ramsey Campbell, Dennis Etchison, Richard Matheson, Richard Christian Matheson and Edward Bryant. I bought it in a lot and don't remember the story behind the signatures, but when I get a chance, I'll track it down and get you more information if you're interested.

Yes, thanks!

dnemec
05-27-2014, 02:37 PM

I'm sorry about your job, and hope it works out. But yea, books! I could think of worse things to do before leaving!

And...think there are any other Bradburys...? :)

Joe315
05-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Anybody recommend anything in Washington DC? I'll be there for 5 days, 2nd week of June.

Went to these two when I was there last summer.

Second Story Books
2000 P St NW
Washington, DC 20036

Capitol Hill Books
657 C St SE
Washington, DC 20003

This one was cool. An old store with filled to the ceiling with books.

(Sorry for the large pic)

http://www.bangsandabun.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/capitol-hill-books-shelves-of-books-washington-dc.jpg

Dan
05-27-2014, 03:43 PM
I have a love/hate of places like that picture. I love them because you never know what you will find. I hate them because they are so disorganized and often books are treated poorly.

Joe315
05-27-2014, 03:53 PM
It is pretty well organized actually, but I do agree with you.

sharki69
05-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Found this list of Independent Bookstores - it may help

http://www.newpages.com/bookstores/

dnemec
05-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Found this list of Independent Bookstores - it may help

http://www.newpages.com/bookstores/

Well that is just awesome! Thanks for sharing!

By the way, as a side note, if you come to Charleston, South Carolina, don't waste time looking for books. Go sit on a veranda, sip a mint julep, and have some BBQ. I buy all my books online (except for the occasional freak find at a thrift store).

stroppygoblin
05-28-2014, 03:08 AM

Second Story Books
2000 P St NW
Washington, DC 20036

Capitol Hill Books
657 C St SE
Washington, DC 20003

http://www.bangsandabun.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/capitol-hill-books-shelves-of-books-washington-dc.jpg

Thanks Joe, that's great info. I will def stop in at Capitol Hill books. I'll instruct my colleagues to send a search party if i'm not back before midnight!

Nickelwise
05-28-2014, 07:29 AM

I'm sorry about your job, and hope it works out. But yea, books! I could think of worse things to do before leaving!

And...think there are any other Bradburys...? :)

I've got this, which is the first post in my Collector's thread:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17992-Book-Collection-Nickelwise

Graven Images: The Best Of Horror, Fantasy And Science Fiction Film Art From The Collection Of Ronald V. Borst, Introduction By Stephen King. Borst, Ronald (Editor). Grove Press. First Edition, signed by Forrest J. Ackerman, Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, Ronald V. Borst, Keith Burns, Leith Adams.

The seller I bought it from on Ebay said he acquired all the signatures personally at various conventions. I believe I also have some other Bradbury paperbacks from the 50s-70s, most aren't in great condition, or particularly valuable. In case I've given the wrong impression about my inventory, the vast majority of the books I have are standard used book store or thrift store fare. Maybe 1,000 or so are worth more than a couple bucks, but as I go through them I'm always finding a few that are worth a bit more like a signed Vanna White biography, a 1939 movie tie in of Gone With The Wind, a 1939 printing of Mein Kamph. And to be clear, the above two books I mentioned, and anything King related, horror related or signed that I list will have been bought specifically for my personal collection, either from the publisher, Ebay, or another third party seller.

Randall Flagg
05-28-2014, 07:35 AM
If in the San Francisco Bay Area, go to Dark Carnival (http://www.darkcarnival.com/)in Berkeley. Very quirky place.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Dark-Carnival-2.jpg

http://litreactor.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/content-large/images/column/2012/09/dark-carnival-interior.jpg

Nickelwise
05-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Also, these two are in Denver and just a couple blocks away from each other:

http://www.fahrenheitsbooks.com/

http://mutinycafe.com/the-store

Fahrenheit has a pretty solid selection of collectibles, The Mutiny Disinformation Cafe doesn't have as many collectibles, but the staff is great and there are some good deals to be had. I found a copy of the S/L Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance for $35. Unfortunately it didn't have it's original slipcase, but it was in great shape, and the guy behind the counter threw in an $8 Raymond Carver book for free.

Kingfan24
05-28-2014, 12:05 PM

Second Story Books
2000 P St NW
Washington, DC 20036

Capitol Hill Books
657 C St SE
Washington, DC 20003

Thanks Joe, that's great info. I will def stop in at Capitol Hill books. I'll instruct my colleagues to send a search party if i'm not back before midnight!

Both of those have a very very limited selection of King most times.

Roseannebarr
06-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I will be in St. Louis in June. I've never had any luck finding any good book stores there. Any suggestions?

Dan, How is your first editions, first printings collection going? V-Stock in St Louis South County has an entire rack of SK books and plenty of other authors for sale. they do not handle collectables. they are a used/new bookstore, video's, dvd's, etc......

the book house was my favorite place to go, but they moved to a much smaller place. checked it out over the weekend (before you got here). checked it for you and they now carry a very limited stock. not worth the drive.

not much else around town. if you find something .... let me know. lived here along time and never found anything.....

Br!an
06-02-2014, 04:00 PM
This is a great idea for a thread.

Hey Jim, there is pretty much whatever you want to do in Orlando.

I don't go in for the theme park experience myself. My sojourns into Orlando have mostly involved work. I also go for concerts. Either way I've got to eat so I can recommend a couple of places. I like to go to Whole Foods when I go there since there isn't one any closer. Of course there are some closer to you. Anyway in the same shopping center as the Whole Foods on Turkey Lake is Anthony's Coal Fire Pizza. It's delicious. I also like Season's 52 on Sand Lake Road. They are a Darden restaurant, but nothing like Olive Garden or Red Lobster. They are a bit more upscale though still reasonably priced. They have a seasonal menu and I've been pleased with the whole experience every time I have been there.

If you want to make a slightly longer trip of it I'll host you here on the Space Coast. Kennedy Space Center has a tour. You can even have lunch with an astronaut. There is also a wetlands drive between there and Port Canaveral, which has a lot of interesting sites and good restaurants.

Jud Crandall
06-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Great idea for a thread. I have to ask, AKC - are there any good bookshops to look into in the NWA?

becca69
06-03-2014, 05:32 AM

I've ordered from http://www.politics-prose.com/ many times. They have a lot of signings.

becca69
06-03-2014, 05:43 AM
Some of my favorite indy stores:

AZ
http://www.changinghands.com/

CA
http://www.mystgalaxy.com/

FL
http://www.murderonthebeach.com/

MD
http://ttpbooks.com/

Midwest
http://www.hpb.com/

MS
http://www.lemuriabooks.com

NC
http://www.malaprops.com/

NYC
http://www.booksofwonder.com/
http://www.strandbooks.com/

OH
http://www.bookloft.com/
http://www.acornbookshop.com/Acorn_Home.html

PA
http://www.childrensbookworld.net/
http://www.bookbarn.com/
https://www.facebook.com/bindlestiffbooks

TX
http://www.murderbooks.com/
http://www.bookpeople.com/

VA
http://www.fountainbookstore.com/

Br!an
06-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Some of my favorite indy stores:

Oh no! I never should have looked at that! :thumbsup:

NeedfulKings
06-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Portland, Oregon:

Powells Books - I would suggest the one on Burnside as they have a decent Horror/Sci Fi section and a Rare Book Room on a separate level.
http://www.powells.com/locations/powells-city-of-books/

Wrigley-Cross Books

Paul and Debbie have an amazing collection. The books are in a converted basement. They have Open House one Saturday a month, but just call and make an appointment any day of the week and you will have the place to yourself. That's my preference. 85% are signed/limited books that do include the heavy hitters like King and Hill. Lots of smaller press too.
http://www.wrigleycrossbooks.com/
Phone number....(503) 667-0807

AKC
06-04-2014, 02:41 AM
Great idea for a thread. I have to ask, AKC - are there any good bookshops to look into in the NWA?

Limited options in NWA!

Check out DICKSON STREET BOOKSTORE in Fayetteville. Every time I'm down on Dickson Street partying like I'm 25 again, I stop in. But, have yet to score anything worth mentioning....

Go Hogs.

AKC

Jud Crandall
06-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Limited options in NWA!

Check out DICKSON STREET BOOKSTORE in Fayetteville. Every time I'm down on Dickson Street partying like I'm 25 again, I stop in. But, have yet to score anything worth mentioning....

Go Hogs.

AKC

Right on. I don't get down to Dickson too much anymore, but I'll definitely check it out when I do.

Woo Pig Sooie!

Lookwhoitis
06-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Heading to Orlando FL in a couple weeks. ANY suggestions of places to go (other than the theme parks) ?
Any Bookstores I should be visiting?

Unfortunately Orlando is kind of bereft of independent Bookstores :(

There is one place called the Bookworm east of downtown on Bumby, but I think it is just a secondhand bookstore (sad to say I havent even visited it yet). Im not sure how much high end or collectible stuff they would have in stock.

There are a couple of nifty comic shops if you are into that sort of thing.

Nickelwise
06-06-2014, 10:57 AM
This isn't really aimed at collectors, but as mentioned previously in this thread, I was selling used books up until my company went under a couple weeks ago. Right now I have thousands taking up space in a warehouse, mainly what you'd expect to see at a second hand store or flea market. I'm in the Denver area and if anyone is interested in taking a look, and getting some great deals, just PM me and we can set a time. I have to do it outside of normal working hours and weekends work best for me, but I can also do most evenings.

stroppygoblin
07-12-2014, 01:04 AM
Extended stay in Boston MA next week.

Any recommendations? I'm staying in the Cambridge area, but will have time to get around.

Also, can I buy Mylar (pref on a roll) off the shelf anywhere? I mean walk into a shop rather than order on line?

DoctorZaius
07-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Extended stay in Boston MA next week.

Any recommendations? I'm staying in the Cambridge area, but will have time to get around.

Also, can I buy Mylar (pref on a roll) off the shelf anywhere? I mean walk into a shop rather than order on line?

This one is a good take - http://www.pandemoniumbooks.com

This link provides many local choices - http://theknurd.com/boston/the-knurds-bookstore-crawl-bostons-15-best-independent-bookstores/

herbertwest
07-31-2014, 12:47 PM
OK, so we are planning a small week-end in London, starting.... tomorrow !
Any cool bookshops to visit if we have time?

dnemec
07-31-2014, 04:56 PM
There was a bookshop near the British Museum that I went to before I was a collector. I doubt they'd have King, but it was a very cool place. 11 years later, I still regret not spending more time in there (and money!). The name of it is Jarndyce. It was just the quintessential bookstore. One day, I'll get back!

herbertwest
07-31-2014, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the tip. I 'll try to find informations about it and see if we are around :)

biomieg
08-01-2014, 12:03 AM
You should go to the British Museum anyway.

herbertwest
08-01-2014, 01:27 AM
I already had been there a few years back.
My girlfriend wants to go there (never been), but she already planned many things and we only have a very small time in London...

thegreattim
08-04-2014, 05:23 AM
Heading to Tampa, FL next week. Any good stores in the area?

sentinel
08-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Camelot Books, but I think they are on vacation per their last newsletter.

thegreattim
08-05-2014, 05:01 AM
Yeah, that was first on my list too, but they are indeed out of town.

Ben Staad
08-05-2014, 05:53 AM
I never actually went to the this store however a few people did recommend it to me as a good bookstore. I have no idea if they have collectables.

Haslam's Book Store, Inc.
2025 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, Florida 33713
(727) 822-8616

EXPLORER
08-05-2014, 06:12 AM
Heading to Tampa, FL next week. Any good stores in the area?
CAMELOT BOOKS AND GIFTS 6221 Land O' Lakes Boulevard. Land o' Lakes, Florida 34638
(note: If you look up online you often find old address prior to their move to Land o' Lakes years ago)
813-932-7162 Toll Free: 1-866-634-9417 FAX: 813-676-0406
E-Mail: Kim@Camelotbooks.com Website: https://camelotbooks.com
CAMELOT BOOKS is a must do for any King collector visiting the Tampa area as they have a huge selection of rare and limited edition Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror books. Their collection is amazing and worth the trip about
15 minutes north of downtown. See a Cujo Guitar many fine Limited s and 1st editions. It is good idea to call and check with Kim or Tony in advance for current hours

OLD TAMPA BOOKS COMPANY 507 North Tampa Street (between Twiggs & Madison) Tampa, FL 33602 (813) 209-2151 Store hours: Monday through Friday, 10 A.M. to 5 P.M., Saturday, 11 A.M. to 5 P.M.
This is an interesting old store with a wide selection of books in good downtown location. You never know what you might find. It is just a couple blocks from THE TAMPA THEATRE

HASLAM"S Book Store, Inc. 2025 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, Florida 33713
(727) 822-8616 Open Monday - Saturday 10 am to 6:30 pm., Sunday - 12 pm to 5 pm
This is a neat old place selling New, Used and some Rare books. It is a large sprawling space with a great variety of titles in all categories. On occasion you may find a signed King book in locked display case. They have signings by various local Authors (Randy Wayne White, Tim Dorsey, etc.) and one can find signed copies if you drop in at the right time. St Petersburg is a short drive across the bridge from downtown Tampa or Tampa airport.

EXPLORER
08-05-2014, 06:21 AM
Camelot Books, but I think they are on vacation per their last newsletter.

Depending on when you will be in Tampa, You might catch them as they are due back on Sunday 8/10/14.
Not sure if they will be in shop on Monday 11th

EXPLORER
08-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Any suggestion of places to check out in MIAMI ?
We took a sort of unplanned drive over here yesterday, will be here few days and I would like any suggestions on stores worth browsing.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Any suggestion of places to check out in MIAMI ?
We took a sort of unplanned drive over here yesterday, will be here few days and I would like any suggestions on stores worth browsing.

Try these...

9250 SW 40th St
Miami, FL, United States
+1 305-485-8404

3066 Grand Ave
Coconut Grove, FL, United States
+1 305-445-7729

11055 Biscayne Blvd
Miami, FL, United States
+1 305-893-7799

7481 Bird Rd
Miami, FL, United States
+1 305-261-3922

1019 5th St
Miami Beach, FL, United States
+1 305-673-3311

You get the picture. :)

Ben Staad
08-12-2014, 08:40 AM
All great places to find that special item. Way to go, Mr. RT!

Dan
08-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Any place I need to go in Kansas City, KS? I'm here for a few days.

jsweet
08-02-2015, 10:28 AM
How about Cedar Rapids, Iowa? Or Dayton & Columbus, Ohio?

Thanks

becca69
08-02-2015, 02:31 PM
How about Cedar Rapids, Iowa? Or Dayton & Columbus, Ohio?

Thanks

Try Half Price Books - they are all over Columbus.

becca69
08-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Also try The Book Loft of German Village and Acorn Books.

Dan
08-04-2015, 09:46 AM
I ended up at a half price books and picked up a Postscripts 10 trade edition for $2. I also stopped by IKEA and grabbed another Hemnes bookcase.

Kingfan24
08-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Book loft really doesn't carry anything special. Acorn books has slim good (overpriced) stuff.

bdwyer19
08-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Books and Co. in Dayton is a cool bookstore.

becca69
08-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Book loft really doesn't carry anything special. Acorn books has slim good (overpriced) stuff.

Last time I was at Book Loft, I found a bunch of signed books at below publisher's price and I also found some cheap GRRM limited editions at Acorn. Worth a shot.

bdwyer19
09-11-2015, 02:07 PM
I'll be in Baltimore next week. Any good bookstores worth checking out?

bdwyer19
04-07-2016, 06:25 PM
I'll be in NYC next weekend. I'll definitely go to The Strand, and possibly Argosy Bookstore. Are there any other bookstores worth checking out?

needfulthings
04-07-2016, 06:37 PM
:rolleyes2:Maybe you can keep an eye out for a B&N REVIVAL book jacket for Simon.

George at C-Springs
04-07-2016, 08:50 PM
I'm in the Fall River, Massachusetts area for the next week. Yes I'm from there, but it's been 30+ years. Any ideas?

stroppygoblin
04-08-2016, 12:16 AM
:rolleyes2:Maybe you can keep an eye out for a B&N REVIVAL book jacket for Simon.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jsweet
04-08-2016, 04:50 AM
I will be in Maine for a business trip this summer, near Bangor. Any suggestions on bookstores or any King-related sites I should check out?

Randall Flagg
04-08-2016, 05:24 AM
I will be in Maine for a business trip this summer, near Bangor. Any suggestions on bookstores or any King-related sites I should check out?
See if you can do a guided tour with Stu Tinker.

Beverly Marsh
04-08-2016, 05:37 AM

What RF said. SK Tours. He takes you everywhere and has good stories to tell.
I live there so if you need any help or info feel free to PM me! There's LOTS to see! Except for bookstores. lol. With Bett's long since gone there's a BAM and a few pawn shops around the downtown area along with a decent comic shop. I've picked up a few things there but it's unlikely you'll find much in the way of limiteds or the like.

Beverly Marsh
04-08-2016, 05:39 AM
While not many of you will get the chance to visit it, on Ramstein Air Base in Germany is a little used book store called BooksRMagic. I picked up a mint trade Drawing of the Three there, some UK editions, and a whole lotta Star Trek paperbacks.
Nice! I was stationed at Spangdahlem in the 90's. We used to go to Ramstein to Christmas shop and occasionally throughout the year. MUCH bigger BX! I can't recall if I ever hit that bookstore though.

Beverly Marsh
04-08-2016, 05:42 AM
Portland, Oregon:

Powells Books - I would suggest the one on Burnside as they have a decent Horror/Sci Fi section and a Rare Book Room on a separate level.
http://www.powells.com/locations/powells-city-of-books/
Wrigley-Cross Books

Paul and Debbie have an amazing collection. The books are in a converted basement. They have Open House one Saturday a month, but just call and make an appointment any day of the week and you will have the place to yourself. That's my preference. 85% are signed/limited books that do include the heavy hitters like King and Hill. Lots of smaller press too.
http://www.wrigleycrossbooks.com/
Phone number....(503) 667-0807

Excellent! I'm heading to that neck of the country in Sept. Will definitely hit up these two! Thanks for the info.

Beverly Marsh
04-08-2016, 05:44 AM
Along with Portland up above I'll be in Seattle as well if anyone knows of some good ones. I almost want to ask Tomas if he'll let me in to check out his collection :)

Cwalker
06-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Regarding Vermont and Western NH:

I've got a Fri-Sun all to myself at the end of June and no particular place to go. I have most of the worthwhile shops in Maine staked out and a couple in NH, but I really don't know about any good shops in western NH or in VT. Any suggestions? I may just throw the tent in the car and start driving. Wouldn't be the first time. :)

jsweet
06-15-2016, 06:05 PM

I live there so if you need any help or info feel free to PM me! There's LOTS to see! Except for bookstores. lol. With Bett's long since gone there's a BAM and a few pawn shops around the downtown area along with a decent comic shop. I've picked up a few things there but it's unlikely you'll find much in the way of limiteds or the like.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've booked my trip for July and will be going on the SK tour. My work travels will be taking me down to Portland & Lewiston as well -- any bookstores there worth checking out?

Cwalker
06-15-2016, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I've booked my trip for July and will be going on the SK tour. My work travels will be taking me down to Portland & Lewiston as well -- any bookstores there worth checking out?

Probably the best one for horror/sci-fi type stuff would be The Green Hand on Congress St in Portland. The ladies who work there are great and there is a good selection. For more general "rare" stuff you could try Turner Carlson, also on Congress St. For your basic used book shop there is Yes Books. Can you guess what street it's on? Yup, Congress. :)

Lewiston/Auburn dosen't have much sadly, and it has one that I can only recommend you stay away from. From a purely personal perspective Artios Books in Auburn is one to avoid. A $40 shrinkwrapped copy of Skeleton Crew that was an "implied" 1/1 that was really a BOMC. I count that as one of my early Lessons Learned. :(

Thats about it! Hope it helps.

Br!an
01-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Any good bookstores in Lansing Michigan?

Any members there?

Alec
01-03-2017, 03:42 AM
Hi Beverly,

Just noticed the mention of Bangor. Is that where Gerald Winters & Son is now trading?

Kindest regards
Alec.

Alec
01-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Answered my own question, yes he is.

Regards
Alec.

Beverly Marsh
01-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Answered my own question, yes he is.

Regards
Alec.

Lol, I just saw this Alec and yes you did sir. If you're ever in Bangor it's a MUST. I still can't get used to the fact that he's here!

Phalucha
01-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Any bookstores worth visiting in Detroit? Am at the autoshow for Tuesday-Wednesday this week. Thanks! Paul

EXPLORER
01-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Any bookstores worth visiting in Detroit? Am at the autoshow for Tuesday-Wednesday this week. Thanks! Paul

There used to be a couple in Ann Arbor... not too far if have time and also a fabulous deli .. Zingermans or something like that.

Phalucha
01-09-2017, 04:13 AM
Thanks - will see if I can make it to Ann Arbor.

ke7285
01-09-2017, 01:41 PM
John King books near downtown Detroit kingbooksdetroit.com, Ann arbor,MI store Nicola's nicolasbooks.com , Curious book store Lansing,MI

dnemec
01-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Anyone know of good bookstores in Atlanta? My favorite place there has apparently closed :cry:, and we'll be there in April. Thanks for any suggestions!

EXPLORER
01-27-2017, 11:38 AM
An article featuring some less known interesting-independent-bookstores-America.
http://www.travelandleisure.com/culture-design/books/best-independent-bookstores-america

note: Link includes some advertisement with article.

dnemec
10-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Hey guys! My boyfriend is driving down to Orlando in a couple weeks. I already see the note about Orlando, but does anyone have any info about rare bookstores in St. Augustine? My birthday is a couple days after he gets back, so any help is appreciated! Thanks!

surly
09-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Heading to Vegas on business for the rest of this week.
Any places besides Baumans worth checking out?