PDA

View Full Version : Haven Fund GRAND PRIZE. INDECENT PROPOSAL.

thegunslinger41
05-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Congratulations! You have just won the Haven Fund's GRAND PRIZE, which (Correct me if I am wrong) is a personalized signed copy of the gift edition of THE SHINING.

How much $$$ would it take for you to transfer ownership of the Grand Prize.

GO!

stroppygoblin
05-21-2014, 08:18 AM
I don't want money - I'll take:

'salems Lot US & UK 1st/1st
Night Shift US & UK 1st/1st
Carrie UK 1st/1st

All in mint condition

webstar1000
05-21-2014, 08:27 AM
It Gift Edition with a remarque... cash has no value here sir.

Lot guy
05-21-2014, 08:31 AM
If keep the the book

webstar1000
05-21-2014, 09:19 AM
If keep the the book

You lost me brotha....

thegunslinger41
05-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Money or something in trade???... Hmmm... I would trade it for either one of the following

Carrie Doublday Proof
Viking Gunslinger Proof (and I'd give some $$ as well)
Fine Copies of RAGE and THE LONG WALK

shaq
05-21-2014, 09:27 AM
My indecent proposal would be to ask Mr King to write "all work and no play makes Shaq a dull boy" over and over again before he signed it.

I'd pay muchos $ for that but doubt he'd write it!!!

webstar1000
05-21-2014, 09:29 AM
My indecent proposal would be to ask Mr King to write "all work and no play makes Shaq a dull boy" over and over again before he signed it.

I'd pay muchos $ for that but doubt he'd write it!!!

If he signed mine... I would ask him to draw Pennywise for my remarque. lol

jhanic
05-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Like this?

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_items/AllWorkandNoPlay.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/johnhanic/media/Other_items/AllWorkandNoPlay.jpg.html)

:biggrin:

John

mattgreenbean
05-21-2014, 09:53 AM
(Hypothetically, considering that I wouldn't want to exchange it)

I'm missing some early first editions in my collection. So I'd possibly fill in those gaps and let the new owner of the prize go crazy with having King write something to them.

shaq
05-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Like this?

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_items/AllWorkandNoPlay.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/johnhanic/media/Other_items/AllWorkandNoPlay.jpg.html)

:biggrin:

John

Exactly! Heaven

shaq
05-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Actually I'd replace the picture of the actress with a pic of my girlfriend as that'd be the look she give when she wondered what the hell had I bought!!!

Lot guy
05-21-2014, 10:03 AM
If keep the the book

You lost me brotha....
Lost myself too, meant to say I'd keep the book

Patrick
05-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Ten grand.

Ben Staad
05-21-2014, 10:28 AM
The amount I would ask would never be accepted. Having a personalized book from SK would be a cherished and prized possession.

thegunslinger41
05-21-2014, 10:34 AM
The amount I would ask would never be accepted. Having a personalized book from SK would be a cherished and prized possession.

True words! If I take the sentiment out of the equation then I can come up with a few trade options, however, since I've never even met Mr. King personally, and thusly have nothing personalized to me from him it would be difficult to pass on that opportunity.

G

Patrick
05-21-2014, 11:00 AM

True words! If I take the sentiment out of the equation then I can come up with a few trade options, however, since I've never even met Mr. King personally, and thusly have nothing personalized to me from him it would be difficult to pass on that opportunity.

G
This was my first reaction as well. However, I tried to imagine what it would take if someone offered to "Paypal Gift" funds. Since the grand prize does not include actually meeting SK in person (which would raise the price substantially), I know my cash price would be $10,000. I don't expect that anyone would actually offer that amount, but the question wasn't for buyers, it was for sellers.

By the way, as a partial owner of the site, I am exempt from the fundraiser drawings, so my price is a moot point.

Randall Flagg
05-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Congratulations! You have just won the Haven Fund's GRAND PRIZE, which (Correct me if I am wrong) is a personalized signed copy of the gift edition of THE SHINING.

GO!
You can only sell it after you have taken possession of it. If one planned on doing that, they better have a buyer with the same name.

thegunslinger41
05-21-2014, 11:29 AM

GO!
You can only sell it after you have taken possession of it. If one planned on doing that, they better have a buyer with the same name.

lol...I can already see people walking to the courthouse to get the name legally changed. ;)

Merlin1958
05-21-2014, 08:15 PM

GO!

Of course, you wouldn't want to be deemed a "Flipper"!!!! LOL

Shannon
05-22-2014, 12:45 AM
Not sure if I can win, but if I win, I am 100% for sale.

webstar1000
05-22-2014, 03:42 AM

How much? I think it would be cook to have a King book Inscribed to me... have to be IT or Gunslinger though... IT GIft would be sick!

Shannon
05-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Well, my price would be between the buyer and I, of course.

At one point, this would have been the highlight of my collection. But now, with my collection all but spread out all over the globe, if I were to win this book, it can be the highlight of someone else's collection.

Jerome said you can sell it after you take possession of it. Well, if payment is taken care of before the inscription is decided upon, I don't see why that would be a problem.

But all of this doesn't matter, I'm not gonna win, lol. :)

Randall Flagg
05-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Well, my price would be between the buyer and I, of course.

At one point, this would have been the highlight of my collection. But now, with my collection all but spread out all over the globe, if I were to win this book, it can be the highlight of someone else's collection.

Jerome said you can sell it after you take possession of it. Well, if payment is taken care of before the inscription is decided upon, I don't see why that would be a problem.

But all of this doesn't matter, I'm not gonna win, lol. :)
If you won, and wanted the book inscribed to "Jerome", that's fine with me. The winner submits an inscription "request". After that, it's all in Sai King's hands. I certainly wouldn't ask King to inscribe "To the highest bidder, thanks for making the Grand Prize winner of the Dt.Org's 2014 Haven Foundation Fundraiser a 'flipper'"

Merlin1958
05-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Hey, you're a huge contributor. You should be able to win. However, I consulted a professional and the Tarot cards say I'm gonna win this year. And I ain't selling!!! LOL

Shannon
05-22-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't think flipping counts if you're not a collector anymore. I think then you're just a reseller. Either way, I never saw anything wrong with flipping in order to further your collection.

Merlin1958
05-22-2014, 01:41 PM
I don't think flipping counts if you're not a collector anymore. I think then you're just a reseller. Either way, I never saw anything wrong with flipping in order to further your collection.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Randall Flagg
05-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Nor do I. I just thought it was a mildly sarcastic poke at "flipper haters".

Merlin1958
05-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Nor do I. I just thought it was a mildly sarcastic poke at "flipper haters".

Ain't as funny when you have to explain it!! LOL Keep up, Shannon. Or are you "confused"? LOL J/K

RF, who's your daddy? LOL

Shannon
05-22-2014, 03:35 PM
I've been extremely busy at work and with IMC2014 so I haven't been here nearly as much as I want to be. Because of that I haven't been able to keep up with the flipping debate, so I didn't know who was on what side of this Civil War. :)

Merlin1958
05-22-2014, 03:38 PM
I've been extremely busy at work and with IMC2014 so I haven't been here nearly as much as I want to be. Because of that I haven't been able to keep up with the flipping debate, so I didn't know who was on what side of this Civil War. :)

Just an aside, Shannon. Nothing to worry yourself over. Thanks for all you do for the HF!!!!

tippy4
05-24-2014, 04:05 PM

GO!

I believe the winner will have a choice of a signed/inscribed: SP The Shining, CD Doctor Sleep, or a Scribner 1st Mr. Mercedes.

I have to say that if the winner does actually sell off their rights to the inscribed book, they are going to want to do it discretely, because in my opinion, it will not be looked upon favorably.

I don't know why I feel that way....hell, I often flip books, but somehow, this is different.....maybe because there is a charity involved, and maybe because there are a lot of members here wanting this prize.

I have no doubt the winner will receive PMs and emails immediately offering to buy the prize upon the announcement that he or she is the winner (and one of them might be from me...does that make me a hypocrite?).

tippy4
05-24-2014, 04:18 PM
I am going to hijack this thread (it was not going to live long anyhow), and ask what inscription folks here would request were they to win.

If I am the winner, I would request.......

To Rick-

I'm instructing my attorney to file a restraining order.

Regards,

Stephen King

06/03/14

herbertwest
05-25-2014, 03:09 AM
The winner WILL be able to ask for a specific inscription??

Randall Flagg
05-25-2014, 05:03 AM
The winner WILL be able to ask for a specific inscription??
Yes, but sometimes King complies and other times he writes what he wants.

cit74
05-25-2014, 06:05 AM
All I gotta say - no one sent me any pms last year about my grand prize - unless I made it pretty obvious I wasn't going to trade it for anything. And I'm grateful for the inscription I received - it wasn't anything over the top - but was able to get both mine and my sons name (twice) in it - so I was ecstatic when it arrived. Plus a happy birthday wish to him.

EXPLORER
05-25-2014, 06:26 AM
I am going to hijack this thread (it was not going to live long anyhow), and ask what inscription folks here would request were they to win.

To Rick-

Regards,

Stephen King

06/03/14

I like that inscription and could own that

Merlin1958
05-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Going out on a limb here, so be kind, but I would think that given the drawing is generally comprised of HF donors who support the "cause" so to speak. It becomes a very "personal" personalized item and I, for one, would be surprised if any winner offered it for sale. However, I have been wrong before.

I know that if I win it, much as I treasure all you folks, you can SUCK IT if you think I will sell!!! LOL LOL LOL

Of course, I rarely win anything and somehow I got a "Giveaway" item so I think my chances have severely declined. Good luck, folks!!!

Patrick
05-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Since this thread was started, I always figured the original question was hypothetical as the inscription is such a unique prize these days.

Rick, that inscription idea is great.

Randall Flagg
05-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Tomorrow at Noon the winner will be announced.

Frankie
05-28-2014, 05:15 PM

GO!

I believe the winner will have a choice of a signed/inscribed: SP The Shining, CD Doctor Sleep, or a Scribner 1st Mr. Mercedes.

I have to say that if the winner does actually sell off their rights to the inscribed book, they are going to want to do it discretely, because in my opinion, it will not be looked upon favorably.

I don't know why I feel that way....hell, I often flip books, but somehow, this is different.....maybe because there is a charity involved, and maybe because there are a lot of members here wanting this prize.

I have no doubt the winner will receive PMs and emails immediately offering to buy the prize upon the announcement that he or she is the winner (and one of them might be from me...does that make me a hypocrite?).

What difference does it make to the charity? Does it mean they get less money? Massive numbers of charity raffle prizes are flipped all the time. People either never really wanted, or want something more, or can't afford the taxes, etc, etc, etc.

A lot of members want it? A lot of members want lots of things. I think every member wants a Lettered Carrie. Not every member can afford a Lettered Carrie, however. But I guess I don't see a real obvious moral distinction between "everyone wants it and only one person can have it" vs. "everyone wants it, only 26 can have it, and only 200 (or whatever) are willing/able to afford it".

tippy4
05-28-2014, 06:36 PM
I was merely expressing a feeling....I could easily be wrong.

Like I said, I don't know why I feel that way (possibly due to some of the recent discussion on flipping), but I do.

And to expand on that, I would never criticize any member here if they chose to sell the Grand Prize....I feel it is their's do do with as they please.

I could however see some folks rubbed the wrong way by that.

Frankie
05-28-2014, 06:52 PM

To Rick-

Regards,

Stephen King

06/03/14

Mine would be:

I, Stephen King, upon my death, leave all my earthly possessions to Frankie, of TDT "Buying things to specifically flip for a profit" thread fame, and my longtime friend.
No, I'm not kidding, totally serious. Give it all to Frankie.
Sincerely,
Stephen King
06/13/14

But to be honest, I wouldn't request anything specific. I wouldn't want to tell King what to write even if it were something as simple as a grocery list. I'd much rather have him write whatever he wants to, though I'd humbly request that he include my name Nick (not Frankie), and the date.

And I'd like it if he wrote something more than just my name, his signature, and the date, but I wouldn't cry about it if that's what I got, either.

shaq
05-29-2014, 03:01 AM
I think I'd ask for the first few sentences of the book he is signing and then........enjoy Dave, Stephen King

I'd like that.