PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Which CARRIE edition are you buying, PS or CD?

RC65
05-19-2014, 08:55 AM
I have orders in for both editions of CARRIE, but I am not a completist and am rethinking my decision to opt for both. Had they been announced at the same time, I would have bought only one. I am, though, perplexed as to which one I should keep (if, in fact, I decide to cancel one)...I like the lower limitation of the PS Pub. edition, but am weary of Chadbourne's art. I'm not crazy about the 3000 limitation of the CD edition, but would prefer Tomislav Tikulin's art, and I've been consistently impressed by CD's Gift Editions. I do plan to pick up all of the future Gift editions of this early-King series by CD, save for THE SHINING (already have the Sub Press) edition, so there's the lure of consistency. Other than THINNER, I do not plan to pick up any of the other PS Pub. editions, and did not get CHRISTINE or PET SEMETARY.

So I'm curious: Which edition of CARRIE have you ordered, the S/L PS Publishing edition or the CD Pub. Gift edition? Note the poll voting above, and, of course, comments as to "why" are appreciated, as they may help me figure out my dilemma.

WeDealInLead
05-19-2014, 09:09 AM
I have the PS edition on order from Camelot. I like the smaller format, illustrated slipcase and the smaller limitation. I have Christine and Pet Sematary and plan on completing the set, whatever it might be.

I'll spring for the CD edition eventually but with the 3000 limitation and $30 for shipping, I'm not in any rush.

The Library Policeman
05-19-2014, 09:14 AM
I've ordered the PS edition and also the Gift and Artist Editions from Cemetery Dance.

ELazansky
05-19-2014, 09:24 AM
It probably won't help, but I am ordering neither. I certainly can't afford to even try for the PS lettered edition, and I skipped the regular anniversary editions. And although the CD editions Gift and Artist Editions look nice, they will just take up too much space on my shelves.

herbertwest
05-19-2014, 09:32 AM
I dont collect english books / limited edition, but I couldnt pass it on since this is his very first professional novel. Decided to buy the CD edition (after wondering for a wee while about the PS edition).

webstar1000
05-19-2014, 09:49 AM
CD will do the best job with the book and has it been signed the other Lettered would not matter so much. I am so far just getting the Artist set from CD and depending in price just the lettered from PS.

jhanic
05-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Neither.

John

Ben Staad
05-19-2014, 11:35 AM
I passed on both of these.

RC65
05-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Neither.

John

That's an option I forgot to include. :( I tried editing my post to include it in the poll, but even when I clicked Go Advanced, that fix doesn't seem to be available.

Again since I'm not a completist, if I had a 1st trade HC, that would be my answer as well. But since I don't and have no desire to spend a great deal of money to remedy that, one of these new editions will have to suffice.

thegunslinger41
05-19-2014, 12:06 PM
I purchased the PS Publishing version because it came out first.... In retrospect, I would still chose the PS Publishing Edition over the Cemetery Dance edition due to the smaller edition size of 974, versus the CD edition size of 3000. Had I known before I order the PS Publishing edition that CD was ALSO going to put out their own 40th anniversary spin on Carrie, I may not have purchased neither.

-Gabriel

JasonUK
05-19-2014, 12:28 PM
I dont collect english books...

Which language do you collect? :wink:

Randall Flagg
05-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Neither.

John

That's an option I forgot to include. :( I tried editing my post to include it in the poll, but even when I clicked Go Advanced, that fix doesn't seem to be available.

Again since I'm not a completist, if I had a 1st trade HC, that would be my answer as well. But since I don't and have no desire to spend a great deal of money to remedy that, one of these new editions will have to suffice.
I suggest you start over with the thread and poll.

zelig
05-19-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm going for both because I'm more of a 'completist'. My only "advice" would be to get both because there's a chance that one day you'll wake up and realize you're a completist too. In the early days of my collecting, I didn't care too much about getting every state of a book. For some unknown reason, that changed. It sort of snuck up on me, and now I have to play catch up on all the states I missed, and of course it's costing more than if I had just purchased them up front.

RC65
05-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Neither.

John

No, that's all right -- the purpose of this thread was to see which edition folks are purchasing and why from the perspective of those who are actually buying one or both...not whether folks are buying one/both or not, which would be a different issue altogether. Since it's not an easy to fix to just add the option (which would have made the thread more inclusive but, frankly, wouldn't have added to the purpose of it), I'm fine with just letting it go as-is.

stroppygoblin
05-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Buying both (But the AE from CD). I'm looking at this as Uk Gift Editions and US Gift Editions. Both of which fit into my collection requirements. Also managed to match numbers between publishers which (for me) is great!
I'm holding off on the standard CD Gift Edition, If CD do a 50% code I may pick them up then, but lack of space may preclude even that.

zelig
05-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Also managed to match numbers between publishers...

How did you manage that? When I checked with CD the information I got was that numbers have not been assigned yet. Or maybe I'm missing something...

stroppygoblin
05-19-2014, 03:22 PM
I contacted Mindy directly and asked to reserve a specific number. It was a low one (14) but Mindy confirmed that it was not assigned to a 'lifetimer' and so would be available to me.

zelig
05-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I contacted Mindy directly and asked to reserve a specific number. It was a low one (14) but Mindy confirmed that it was not assigned to a 'lifetimer' and so would be available to me.

Okay thanks... ;-)

Randall Flagg
05-19-2014, 03:36 PM

I suggest you start over with the thread and poll.[/QUOTE]
Good point. No sense seeking votes (opinions are still wanted) from people who are not buying either.

webstar1000
05-19-2014, 03:42 PM

What does a "lifetimer" mean? Been a custome for a long time?

Dano
05-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Hmmm. I was told that there were no reserved numbers on the CD AE too... Mayhap I shall write again.

Dan

Randall Flagg
05-19-2014, 04:15 PM
What does a "lifetimer" mean?
Long time customer that is alive (and pays).

Cook
05-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Neither.

John

What he said :thumbsup:

Frankie
05-19-2014, 07:45 PM
CD AE. I'll buy the PS Lettered Carrie if possible, otherwise it'll just be the CD.

webstar1000
05-20-2014, 03:40 AM
Which Carrie will be nicer you guys think? Take out King signing it... What lettered? What GE? No Artist for PS so that will win by default I guess...

RC65
05-20-2014, 06:46 AM
I'm not sure this has helped answer my problem that lead to the OP since the answers and voting thus far are split fairly evenly down the middle, with the purchase of both being the dominate reply, but it's been an interesting exercise to see what folks are ordering. :smile:

I'm gonna need to figure this out soon, though. Guess there's no easy answer.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Just looked at the number of voters (25). None of them seem very popular according to that.

skyofcrack
05-20-2014, 08:30 AM
I usually buy all S/L (by King) SK books when I can afford them but NOT lettered editions. I bought the PS Carrie book because I liked the cover art. I don't have the PS editions of Pet Sematary or Christine. I bought the CD GE and AE of Carrie as I like most everything SK and SK-related they do and will get the entire Doubleday Collection. Considering the importance of the title, I will try to obtain the PS lettered Carrie.

bdwyer19
05-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Neither.

Kingfan24
05-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Which Carrie will be nicer you guys think? Take out King signing it... What lettered? What GE? No Artist for PS so that will win by default I guess...

I have no doubt CD's editions will be far superior.

The Library Policeman
05-20-2014, 09:39 AM

I have no doubt CD's editions will be far superior.

Uh-Oh. That be fighting talk! :P

Kingfan24
05-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Just my humble, humble opinion of course.

webstar1000
05-20-2014, 10:38 AM
I am sorry but I think CD's will be too... this is just comparing what I see produced King wise on both ends. NOW... they may blow us away with Carrie... but they sure did not with Pet/Christine GE's and we all agree on that I am sure...

Br!an
05-20-2014, 03:06 PM
I haven't bought any of the PS anniversary editions. I don't collect facsimile signatures. :nope:The lettered Carrie would be cool though.

I bought the CD gift edition of Carrie.

thegreattim
05-20-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm collecting both series as well. I don't have any love for facsimile signatures, but I like the look and new art/intros to the PS editions. Along the same vein, I like the art and the uniformity and promise of bonus material that the CD (I'm going for the AE's personally) series will provide. Like Stroppy mentioned, these feel like US & UK gift editions to me, which fit nicely with what I collect. Would I like them signed by King? Sure. But I'm not going to turn down my nose at them because they're not.

Anyway, I have dreams of being a completist someday, with the exception of the lettered editions, some that can't be had regardless how much $$ one has on hand.

Tommy
05-20-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm going for the CD series, I have the PS Pet Sematary and Christine editions but didn't feel the need for the PS Carrie although I will more than likely be getting Thinner, it's always been a favorite of mine

Patrick
05-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Given the significance of this title, I bought both.

RC65
05-22-2014, 08:31 AM
I ended up cancelling the CD edition and keeping the PS Pub. edition. Since I'm not getting THE SHINING from CD, there's no need for absolute consistency, and the much smaller limitation of the PS edition won me over.

stroppygoblin
05-22-2014, 09:02 AM
I ended up cancelling the CD edition and keeping the PS Pub. edition. Since I'm not getting THE SHINING from CD, there's no need for absolute consistency, and the much smaller limitation of the PS edition won me over.

Interesting. Do you feel that the smaller limitation will make that edition of the book more desirable to other collectors and therefore hold a greater re-sale value?
If it's not about future value, then what is it about the smaller limitation that is compelling to you?

webstar1000
05-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Wow, surprised to hear that...

skyofcrack
05-22-2014, 09:40 AM

Just my opinion here but collecting books shouldn't be about consistency so much as it should be about what books make you happy to look at on the shelf and enjoy as pieces of art.

The only consistency for us all here is that we all collect King books which is what drew us to the site in the first place.

As I said before, I generally don't like Chadbourne art but I did like the cover for the PS Carrie so that's why I ordered it. The art for the CD Carrie is amazing and a bonus since I had planned on buying all six books as soon as they were announced anyway.

Kingfan24
05-22-2014, 09:41 AM

Me too... The quality just isn't there for me in the ps books.

webstar1000
05-22-2014, 09:49 AM

Me too... The quality just isn't there for me in the ps books.

The lettered might be different... but not for these facsimile signed GE's...

RC65
05-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Damnit, now you all are making me rethink my decision! ;-)

Interesting. Do you feel that the smaller limitation will make that edition of the book more desirable to other collectors and therefore hold a greater re-sale value?
If it's not about future value, then what is it about the smaller limitation that is compelling to you?

Yes, a potentially higher resale value, and the lure of something that's just a bit more inherently unique due to its limitation, more so than the high-volume CD edition. 'Course, to the first, I rarely sell my books anyhow, so that shouldn't even enter into my thinking...but I must admit it does. To the second, 3000 is just so high...had it been 1500 or maybe -- maybe -- even 2000 I probably would have opted for the CD edition, as the oversized, quality production of CD's Gift Editions is very alluring.

stroppygoblin
05-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Damnit, now you all are making me rethink my decision! ;-)

Yes, a potentially higher resale value, and the lure of something that's just a bit more inherently unique due to its limitation, more so than the high-volume CD edition. 'Course, to the first, I rarely sell my books anyhow, so that shouldn't even enter into my thinking...but I must admit it does. To the second, 3000 is just so high...had it been 1500 or maybe -- maybe -- even 2000 I probably would have opted for the CD edition, as the oversized, quality production of CD's Gift Editions is very alluring.

Based on that, I am surprised you were not tempted by the Artist Editions from CD.

RC65
05-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Too rich for my blood. Plus, my collecting preferences don't extend to artists, remarques, and the like, so no desire to pay a premium for their add'l work, sigs, etc.