PDA

View Full Version : Gerald's Game film

mae
05-18-2014, 08:07 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118474

Many of Stephen King's novels and short stories have been turned into movies both for television and the big screen but one of the novels that seems to have evaded adaptation since it was released in 1992 is Gerald's Game, a terrifying thriller about a woman who becomes trapped, handcuffed to a bed in a remote area after her husband dies in the middle of a bondage game.

Deadline is reporting that Oculus director Mike Flanagan has come on board to adapt the book, co-writing with his partner Jeff Howard, with plans to direct it as his next movie. Originally, Flanagan was going to start production on his next movie Diver over the summer but has decided to push that back to 2015 to focus on the King adaptation.

Flanagan's regular producing partner Trevor Macy and Intrepid Pictures will produce the film and Flanagan had this to say about the project:

“In the tradition of Misery and Dolores Claiborne, Gerald’s Game is one of the most intense and compelling novels I’ve ever read, and this has been a dream project for many years. Trevor and I are very excited to help translate that experience for an audience."

If you've read Gerald's Game and seen Oculus, how do you feel it might translate to the screen with Mike Flanagan on board?

RichardX
05-18-2014, 08:53 AM
That's going to be a difficult one to market to the mainstream audience. I hope they don't even try but go the independent route with a lower budget and smaller audience.

jhanic
05-18-2014, 09:23 AM
I can't help but wonder who they'll get for Jesse.

John

Bev Vincent
05-18-2014, 09:50 AM
I found it amusing that the first person to post about this on SKMB was named...Gerald.

DanishFan
05-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Didn't King write a screenplay for this one some years ago, with Craig Baxley attached as director? And with Nicole Kidman interested in the part? I know King wrote one for Gingerbread Girl (also with Baxley attached) but I'm positive this was also the case with Gerald's Game. In any case, this is good news, I've always wanted to see this one adapted.

mae
08-06-2014, 09:11 AM
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/mike-flanagan-talks-oculus-sequel-status-of-stephen-kings-geralds-game-189

Mike Flanagan is certainly a director on the rise. His OCULUS scared up some pretty good reviews and did well at the box office earlier this year, prompting many to speculate that we'd likely see a sequel heading our way eventually, but first Flanagan plans on tackling an adaptation of Stephen King's GERALD'S GAME. We first reported on Flanagan's involvement with GERALD'S GAME back in April just as OCULUS was hitting theaters, and now Fangoria has gotten some updates on where GERALD'S GAME stands right now and Flanagan's desire to revisit the horrors of the Lasser Glass.

Flanagan shares...

As far as another OCULUS movie, it’s something that we’ve talked about. The movie performed well enough for the studio that they’d be really game for a sequel, but I would only want to do it if I found a story that’s as exciting as I found the first one. The last thing I’d want to do is get in the business of franchising the movie and crank out sequels to an idea even if it’s worn out. So there’s been talk about it, but for the moment, I want to focus on GERALD’S GAME first. If the right story presents itself, however, I’d love to go back and spend another year with that mirror.

I can appreciate that he's hesitant to move forward with a sequel without a strong story. We've seen what happens when an idea is run into the ground with numerous (and quickly produced) sequels. Yeah, I'm looking at you, SAW and PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.

I'm more excited about Flanagan's adaptation of Stephen King's GERALD'S GAME, which Flanagan seems very enthusiastic about. He shares...

I’ve been wanting to make GERALD’S GAME for ten years. I love that novel and I first started trying to acquire the rights around that time. After OCULUS came out, King had seen the movie and really liked it, so things finally fell into place for GERALD’S GAME. I’m so excited about that, but talk about a difficult movie! If you want to talk about the strange structure of OCULUS, GERALD’S GAME is really out there.

GERALD’S GAME is intimate and contained on a level that’s really exciting from a creative point of view. It’ll be a really strange and exciting movie for an audience, and there’s nothing quite like it. For the longest time, I’d look at that book and be convinced it was unfilmable, but I finished the script late last year and at the moment, I’m convinced it is filmable. It’s a strange one, but we’re casting that right now and hopefully we’ll be going into production on that in late winter or early spring of next year.

herbertwest
02-12-2016, 02:50 PM
A few years back there were rumours of a possible adaptation with Nicole Kidman. The project never saw the light of the day, however, a imdb page has been updated a month or so ago.
>>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748172/

Maybe it will happen, or maybe not. But it is interesting to note that tis is the director of OCULUS, a movie that Steve acclaimed on twitter

mae
06-03-2016, 11:54 AM
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/stephen-king-dark-tower

Director Mike Flanagan, who made the horror films Oculus and Hush, has told the Shock Waves podcast that he wants to tackle a film in the planned Dark Tower franchise, which is based on Stephen King’s series of fantasy novels. Filmmaker Nikolaj Arcel (A Royal Affair) is currently directing the first movie in the series in South Africa with a cast which includes Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey.

“For me, The Dark Tower is a dream project,” Flanagan explained to Shock Waves hosts Rebekah McKendry, Rob Galluzzo, and Elric Kane. “My favorite [book] is number four. Wizard and Glass, I want it. But we’ll have to see.”

Flanagan also discussed at length his proposed adaptation of another King book, 1992’s Gerald’s Game.

“The big one that I’ve been pushing uphill now for a year-and-a-half, maybe longer, is… Gerald’s Game, which I got permission to do after Oculus came out,” said the director. “The rub with Gerald’s Game is, if you’ve read the book, it’s a woman and her husband go to their lakehouse, miles from anywhere, to kind of spice up their love-life. He handcuffs her to a bed, he promptly dies of a heart attack, and the woman is her handcuffed to the bed for days. So, it’s 127 Hours-meets-Gravity. But, when you talk about minimalism, this is a challenge. When I first read the book, I thought it was unfilmable and it took me 10 years to find a structure that I was like, ‘This will work.’ And so, Jeff [Howard, Flanagan’s Oculus cowriter] and I wrote the script, King loved the script, and we were all set to go. It’s just been a nightmare to try to get it up off the ground, because I can’t get people passed this idea that it’s a movie about a woman handcuffed to a bed.”

Flanagan revealed that the project could take flight at Netflix, which debuted Flanagan’s slasher movie Hush last April. “I thought the project was in danger of total stagnation for a while, and Hush really shook it awake again, because King loved Hush, and Netflix loved Hush, like Netflix loved the way it was performing. And so Netflix showed up and they were like, ‘You know what we have a lot of? Money. You know what we don’t have a lot of? [New] movies. You know, what we like to do is take risks on movies. It doesn’t matter to us if you don’t think you can get the movie into multiplexes. Hush worked. We’ve got you and Stephen King. Maybe we want to do it at a price-point that a studio wouldn’t.’ So, I don’t know if that’s happening and I don’t want to put the cart before the horse. But, yeah, the project is alive again because of that and so we’re having those conversations.”

You can her Flanagan talk more about his career, his forthcoming horror sequel Ouija 2, and his planned I Know What You Did Last Summer reboot, on the latest episode of Shock Waves.

Brian861
06-03-2016, 11:08 PM
I just think there's much better stories/books that could be adapted or even reworked rather than this one. But I really didn't care for the book all that much so....

Sai Sheb
06-04-2016, 01:25 AM
I have tried three times to read the book but can't even get a third of the way in... I'd much rather the 'apt pupil ' be done by Cohen brothers or from a Buick 8... IMHO...

Girlystevedave
06-04-2016, 06:10 AM
I enjoyed Gerald's Game, but still can't see how a movie could work.

Brian861
06-04-2016, 10:29 AM
I have tried three times to read the book but can't even get a third of the way in... I'd much rather the 'apt pupil ' be done by Cohen brothers or from a Buick 8... IMHO...

Apt Pupil would be cool. Buick is another least favorite.

Johnny Alien
06-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Apt Pupil is already a movie. It was actually pretty great. Starred Ian McKellen.

Sai Sheb
06-07-2016, 12:32 AM

Buick is another least favorite. Buick 8 was great, like the (the book now )...

Sai Sheb
06-07-2016, 12:35 AM
God I'm crap on this phone!!!
Mentioned to say heard apt pupil was great but never came across a copy (the film copy) and again buick8 was great like the langoliers ... (the book form)

mae
09-06-2016, 03:41 PM
http://www.rue-morgue.com/single-post/2016/09/01/Exclusive-Mike-Flanagan-looks-forward-to-doing-justice-to-Stephen-King%E2%80%99s-GERALD%E2%80%99S-GAME

With OUIJA: ORIGIN OF EVIL ready for its October release, director Mike Flanagan is confident that his long-mooted adaptation of Stephen King’s novel GERALD’S GAME will get off the ground next. And he’s committed to doing right by the book—about a woman left handcuffed to a bed in a remote cabin after a sex romp with her husband goes awry—knowing that the track record of King movies has been the definition of uneven.

“Stephen King has been my hero since I was a child,” Flanagan tells RUE MORGUE, “and one of the things about being a fan of his is that I’m used to the familiar heartbreak of seeing his film adaptations and feeling like something’s gone off, and that the source material I love so much has not translated properly—with obvious exceptions. It’s just that for every SHAWSHANK or GREEN MILE or STAND BY ME, you’ve got…the others, that really hurt! It’s very important for me, as a fan, not to end up in that pile. I loved GERALD’S GAME from the minute I put it down; I had gooseflesh all over my arms and my neck when I finished it, and I remember just exhaling and saying, ‘I want to make this into a movie—and it’s unfilmable!’ [laughs] and shaking my head, thinking, ‘If I could crack this, this could be one of the greatest King adaptations of them all.’ ”

Flanagan’s involvement with GERALD’S GAME (which he scripted with his regular collaborator Jeff Howard) was first announced in 2014, shortly before he began working on a secret project that turned out to be the superior stalker film HUSH. That movie’s great success as a Netflix premiere earlier this year, the director says, has helped push GERALD’S GAME closer to fruition. “I view HUSH, actually, as my most successful movie,” Flanagan says. “All of Netflix’s numbers are proprietary, so I don’t get to look at them, but the way I’ve heard people talking, it’s been viewed an amazing number of times, and the reception has been very, very positive. Coincidentally, Stephen King watched HUSH at home on Netflix and tweeted about it, which kind of blew my mind. And that got us talking about GERALD’S GAME again.

“If you know the source material,” he continues, “you’ll know there are a lot of challenges inherent in that story. Not so much the narrative challenges of how to adapt it; it took me 10 years of constantly thinking about the book to crack the cinematic version. But it’s a real challenge for financiers and distributors, who say, ‘Yeah, we love your work, we love Stephen King, but this story, this particular story? We don’t know how it works,’ without reshaping it to fit a much more conventional structure, which I did not want to do. And Netflix, because of how well HUSH has done, said, ‘We’re really interested in this, and we’d like to do it the way you want to do it.’ And that eliminated the pressure of having to test-screen the movie and define the demographic that’s going to watch it—all of that stuff that typically comes into the conversation when you’re trying to figure out how to market a film for a wide theatrical release. It just cleared the table, so that I can make the movie I want to make. I’m hoping very much that we can get that movie up on its feet soon.”

As of now, Flanagan (who hasn’t heard any updates on when his horror/fantasy BEFORE I WAKE, which recently got bumped out of its fourth release date, will hit theaters) isn’t sure how involved King himself will be in the GERALD’S GAME feature. “That’s going to be entirely up to him. From what I’ve heard, sometimes he’s very involved when it comes to approvals and things like that, and sometimes he can be more hands-off. So I guess that remains to be seen. I would personally want him to be as involved as he possibly wants to be. And I think the more Stephen is involved, the more he’ll see the reverence that I have for this book. I would love for him to be part of this, and I hope he will be.” Keep your eyes here for further updates on GERALD’S GAME.

WeDealInLead
09-07-2016, 07:52 AM
God I'm crap on this phone!!!
Mentioned to say heard apt pupil was great but never came across a copy (the film copy) and again buick8 was great like the langoliers ... (the book form)

ill send you mine for the shipping cost. I think it's pretty good actually.

Iwritecode
09-07-2016, 08:20 AM
I never really liked the book and can't see how it can possibly translate to a good movie. Especially if they plan on sticking to the same basic premise of the book.

mattgreenbean
09-07-2016, 10:24 AM
127 hrs was great. If it's like that, I would enjoy it. But yeah there's other books I'd like to see before this. I think Rose Madder would be a fantastic film.

Randall Flagg
09-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Gerald.s Game and Lisey's Story are the worst King stories. It took me over 20 years to finish Gerald's Game, and Lisey's Story still is on the shelf with a book-marker 1/4 into the page block.

Ad Rose Madder to the list.

I call it the King wife apology era.

WeDealInLead
09-07-2016, 04:43 PM
It took me a couple of years of listening to Gerald's Game to finish it. I can see GG as an indie, art school, short movie clocking in at a solid ten minutes but as a full feature? I might as well flush $10 down the toilet.

zelig
09-07-2016, 04:50 PM
I don't know. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I liked GG.

Cwalker
09-09-2016, 10:05 AM
My wife and I were talking about this and agreed that it could be done well as a Women-Empowerment type movie in the same way that Lifetime (?) did with Big Driver. As a made-for-tv movie, that was pretty darn good.

Focus a little less on the kinky sex and the humiliation and a little more on the Strong Woman Survivng Adversity, and with the right cast it could be fairly succesful.

Shannon
09-09-2016, 10:21 AM
I liked Gerald's Game. Lisey's Story, though, was fucking trash. Got about halfway through and even THAT was hard work.

zelig
09-09-2016, 10:50 AM
I liked Gerald's Game. Lisey's Story, though, was fucking trash. Got about halfway through and even THAT was hard work.

Yeow, that's harsh. I'll try not to hold that against you dude! Although there was a part of Lisey's that I didn't much care for, overall I really liked it.

St. Troy
09-09-2016, 12:23 PM
I really liked Lisey's Story (greatly prefer it to GG); I thought it managed to be both domestic and otherworldly quite well.

Brian861
09-09-2016, 08:20 PM
I liked the book myself but would much rather see a great Duma Key adaptation. Lisey's Story was ok as well.

Steve
09-10-2016, 08:58 AM
This is going to entirely hinge on the lead actress, and I really hope they can make The Space Cowboy as chilling as he was in the novel.

RichardX
09-11-2016, 06:49 AM
Lisey's Story strikes me as best suited for one of those horrible Lifetime movies. GG could only be made properly as an independent art film. There is no way mainstream Hollywood could make a proper film with that story.

Sai Sheb
09-17-2016, 01:11 AM
Lisey's Story strikes me as best suited for one of those horrible Lifetime movies. GG could only be made properly as an independent art film. There is no way mainstream Hollywood could make a proper film with that story.

Ever watch the film Buried... if that can be done the GG can make it!!!

Machine's Way
09-29-2016, 12:25 PM

I have to completely agree with you on this, and even then I don't see it adapting to well. So many other SK stories I would like to see an attempt at before this. How about THE LONG WALK!!!

burial
10-17-2016, 08:29 AM
And here is the CAST (http://deadline.com/2016/10/geralds-gsme-stephen-king-carla-gugino-netflix-bruce-greenwood-mikie-flanagan-1201837512/)

Steve
10-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Gugino is a fantastic get. I've always thought her to be a terrific actress who rarely gets the roles to evince her talent. I'm assuming Carel Struycken is the Space Cowboy?

CyberGhostface
10-17-2016, 02:17 PM

Ever watch the film Buried... if that can be done the GG can make it!!!

Well that was an independent film as well and even then GG will likely have a woman in her underwear if not outright topless tied to a bed for 75% of the film.

But a place like Netflix would definitely be its best bet.

mae
10-18-2016, 07:20 AM
They started shooting yesterday: https://twitter.com/flanaganfilm/status/788053442019282944

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cu-6KfdUMAAyjWg.jpg:large

herbertwest
11-14-2016, 05:04 AM
And the shooting seem apparently concluded.
How long do you think til it's available on netflix? 3 months? 6 months?

Ari_Racing
11-18-2016, 06:05 AM
Editing still has to take place. I'd guess USA's summer, 2017.

Bev Vincent
11-18-2016, 07:27 AM
Netflix doesn't always announce a release date -- things just suddenly show up!

mae
02-02-2017, 05:57 PM
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/geralds-game/261842/carla-gugino-on-gerald-s-game-one-of-the-most-fulfilling-things-i-ve-done

An upcoming film that has to be high on the list of Stephen King and horror fans is Netflix’s Gerald’s Game, based on the King novel in which a woman is left handcuffed to a bed in an isolated cabin after her husband dies abruptly during sex play. As she struggles to find a way to escape, ghosts -- from her past, from her imagination and possibly real -- begin to prey on her and threaten both her life and her sanity.

The novel is one that has fallen into the “unfilmable” category because so much of it takes place inside the mind of the trapped Jessie Burlingame. But director Mike Flanagan -- of Oculus, Hush and Ouija: Origin of Evil fame -- has apparently wanted to adapt the book to the screen since he was 19, and now he’s done it. And to star in the crucial role of Jessie, he cast Carla Gugino, a favorite around these parts who has done a variety of striking roles in and out of genre films and TV, including Watchmen, Sin City, San Andreas and Wayward Pines.

“It was one of the hardest, most challenging shoots I've ever done, which is saying a lot,” said Gugino about the project when we spoke recently in Los Angeles for her new film, The Space Between Us. “I've definitely chosen some material that's been really challenging. We shot six weeks in Alabama. I think Mike is absolutely the man for the job.

“It's one of the most fulfilling things I've done,” she continued. “I love this woman…you're dealing with something that has elements of horror, but also is really more of a thriller, in the vain of a Misery. And she is also dealing with this childhood sexual trauma with her father, and those are all tricky tones to find together.”

Gugino said she was “really impressed” with the script (by Flanagan and his regular co-writer, Jeff Howard), explaining, “(Flanagan) has also reworked things to where her personality does split, but it's in a different way than that is in the novel. I think it might end up being more clear for a film.”

The actress added that the movie was shot chronologically, which helped guide her through Jessie’s mental disintegration, and she also noted, “Every step of the way, one of the things (Flanagan) said to me, which directors very rarely say, was, ‘I want you to take ownership over this, this is as much yours as it is mine’…I'm really excited about it.”

Netflix has not yet set a premiere date for the film, which also stars Bruce Greenwood as Jessie’s husband Gerald, along with Carel Struycken and Henry Thomas. But the combination of Gugino, Flanagan and King is one we’re anxiously awaiting. In the meantime, Gugino’s new sci-fi romance The Space Between Us opens this Friday (February 3), and we'll have more from her about that later this week.

Bev Vincent
02-03-2017, 07:24 AM
I'm interviewing Flanagan for the next issue of CD -- I've watched all of his movies lately and I am impressed by his work.

Stockerlone
02-12-2017, 01:41 AM
Stephen King ‏@StephenKing 11. Feb.

Saw a rough cut of Mike Flanagan's GERALD'S GAME yesterday. Horrifying, hypnotic, terrific. It's gonna freak you out.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing

mikeC
05-09-2017, 12:53 PM
I'm interviewing Flanagan for the next issue of CD -- I've watched all of his movies lately and I am impressed by his work.

Bev, was this interview published?

I have a feeling this will be one of the better adaptations coming out in the next couple months. All the actors are solid, Occulus was excellent and the story is small in scope which could lead to this being a great movie.

Bev Vincent
05-09-2017, 01:19 PM

Bev, was this interview published?

I have a feeling this will be one of the better adaptations coming out in the next couple months. All the actors are solid, Occulus was excellent and the story is small in scope which could lead to this being a great movie.

Not yet -- it'll be in the next issue of CD, which should be out sometime later this summer.

mae
05-15-2017, 02:04 PM
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/mike-flanagan-on-stephen-kings-involvement-with-geralds-game-138

Mike Flanagan is one of my favorite directors currently working in the horror genre. I became a fan of his after peeping the killer mirror flick OCULUS a few years back and he all but sealed the deal of top horror directors when I checked out ABSENTIA, OUIJA: ORIGINS OF EVIL. and, most especially, HUSH.

Flanagan's next film is an adaptation of Stephen King's "unfilmable" novel GERALD'S GAME, which - like HUSH before it - is set to be a Netflix exclusive. The adaptation stars uber hottie Carla Gugino along with Henry Thomas and Bruce Greenwood.

Flanagan recently spoke to Mangled Matters about this upcoming Netflix/King flick and dropped some interesting bits of info on Carla Gugino, his approach to the film, and Stephen King's involvement.

Mike Flanagan on Carla Gugino:

“It was a challenge for everyone involved, but I don’t think anyone had it as hard as Carla. This movie asks a lot of her. When you take an actor, and remove their mobility, it eliminates one of their biggest tools. Carla spends the majority of the film handcuffed to a bed. First, there’s the physical discomfort of the restraint (it was actually very painful, I tried it myself and couldn’t last more than a few minutes in the cuffs). But beyond that, there’s this level of exposure and vulnerability, both physically and emotionally. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a situation that was this demanding on an actor. Her performance is astonishing, and was hard-earned.”

On the film's release date:

“We don’t know yet when it’ll premiere, but I can’t wait for people to see it. It’s been a passion project of mine since I was 19 years old, so I’ve basically wanted to make this movie for half my life. And you’re right, for a long time I thought it was unfilmable. I don’t know if I’ve ever been as proud of a movie as I am of this one. In a lot of ways, my previous work has all been building up to this.”

On Stephen King's involvement:

“We have been in touch – he’s been involved from the start, especially when it came to approvals and casting and such. We’ve also been in touch since he saw the movie. I was beyond excited that he responded to the film the way he did. It was probably the biggest fan-boy moment of my life.”

On adapting Stephen King:

“As a lifelong King fan, I know how it feels to see an adaptation go south, and I was determined from the start that the film should honor his amazing novel. Adapting King is a difficult and fragile thing – we’ve all seen what happens when it goes wrong. As a Constant Reader, I never wanted Gerald’s Game to be in that pile. I wanted him to love the film, and I was elated when he did.”

Knowing how involved Stephen King was in the upcoming flick only makes me more excited to see the eventual film. It already damn near tops my list of upcoming horror projects to check out, but now it may have gone even higher on that list. I cannot wait to know when it gets a release date!

You can read the full interview with Flanagan right HERE where he goes into his still unreleased (in the US) 2014 flick BEFORE I WAKE, and his thoughts on piracy. It is an interesting, quick read so give it a chance if you've got a minutes or two.

GERALD'S GAME synopsis:

When a harmless sex game between a married couple in a remote retreat suddenly becomes a harrowing fight for survival, wife Jessie must confront long-buried demons within her own mind - and possibly lurking in the shadows of her seemingly empty house. Among those she confronts are ghosts from her past and a vicious dog.

GERALD'S GAME is directed by Mike Flanagan from a script by Flanagan and Jeff Howard, based on the novel by Stephen King. The film stars Carla Gugino (see below), Bruce Greenwood, Henry Thomas, Carel Struycken, and Kate Siegel.

GERALD'S GAME is set to hit Netflix exclusively sometime next year.

ARMaher13
06-18-2017, 07:48 PM
Gerald's Game was actually the first SK book I ever read so it has a special place in my heart and it scared the shit out of me. Up until that point, as an avid reader, I had never been scared by a book so it definitely left an impression. Personally, I think Gerald's Game is one of the most underrated SK books and I cannot wait to see the movie.

herbertwest
07-16-2017, 08:44 AM
Still no news? :)

Bev Vincent
07-16-2017, 09:02 AM
I think it will be later this year. Maybe October.

Ari_Racing
07-16-2017, 06:28 PM
I remember reading somewhere it aimed for 2018

mae
08-02-2017, 01:37 PM
http://popculture.com/2017/08/01/mike-flanagan-geralds-game-stephen-king/

Coming to Netflix later this year is the adaptation of the Stephen King story Gerald's Game, which was directed by Mike Flanagan. As a recent guest on the Mick Garris-hosted podcast Post Mortem, the director revealed just how difficult this specific story was to manifest as a feature film.

In a clip posted by Bloody Disgusting, the director explained to Garris, "I, much like you, have been chasing this for a long time. I was 19 years old when I read it for the first time, and I put it down and had goose flesh all over my arms. I thought it was such an astonishing story."

"I put the book down and I thought, 'It's brilliant and it's unfilmable,' " he said.

The filmmaker went on to explain exactly what made an adaptation so difficult, for those unaware with the story.

"It centers around a woman who spends pretty much the entirety of the novel handcuffed to a bedpost, 'alone.' It's all in her head. It's this stream of consciousness as you go through her experience, which gets into her memories," he described.

"Which is a very rough experience," Garris pointed out. "It's not just being chained to a bed."

"It's horrific, in a lot of ways," Flanagan responded. "There were parts of the book that I couldn't continue reading, I had to put aside, they were so upsetting."

Despite these challenges of adapting the story, the filmmaker pursued the opportunity at every chance he got.

"When I first moved to Los Angeles, I carried a hardcover in my bag whenever I would take general meetings," Flanagan confessed. "Anyone who'd ask me what my dream project was, I'd pull it out, and [the response I'd get was] either they were familiar with the book and said it's unfilmable, or it wasn't available."

That persistence paid off, however, as the director eventually cracked how the story could translate to a film.

"It had taken me years to come up with a mechanism that I thought would make it somatic without changing the books," the director revealed. "The temptation to make big changes in an adaptation of a story like that was huge and I really didn't want to do that."

Gerald's Game doesn't have an official release date, with Flanagan next working on a 10-episode adaptation of the novel The Haunting of Hill House that will also debut on Netflix.

Bev Vincent
08-08-2017, 09:05 AM
The movie will premiere at Fantastic Fest in Austin in September, as will 1922. (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-fantastic-fest-lineup-stephen-king-geralds-game-2017-story.html)

Bev Vincent
08-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Gerald's Game will arrive on Netflix on Friday, September 29. (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3454844/mike-flanagans-geralds-game-gets-netflix-premiere-date/)

Girlystevedave
08-23-2017, 10:13 AM
I am so anxious to see how they pull this one off. :)

Brian861
08-23-2017, 11:35 AM

I think it's going to start with their clothing :smile_002:

Sai Sheb
08-23-2017, 12:10 PM
How will I get through an hour of a half naked lady on TV...

mae
08-23-2017, 12:39 PM
There should be a trailer soon, I would imagine. It's a month out.

Girlystevedave
08-23-2017, 12:47 PM

I think it's going to start with their clothing :smile_002:

Touche.

There could have also been a that's what he said joke in there. :lol:

Ricky
08-23-2017, 02:00 PM
A release date! And a little more than a month! :excited:

Brian861
08-23-2017, 03:42 PM
How will I get through an hour of a half naked lady on TV...

Release the pause button :)

Tommy
08-23-2017, 10:05 PM
I can't wait for this! I love that director's work.

zelig
08-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Also looking forward to this one GG was one of my favorite King reads. Interested to see how it is translated to film.

herbertwest
08-24-2017, 12:24 AM
I wonder if it will be the same release date worldwide or not...

mae
09-06-2017, 07:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twbGU2CqqQU

Brian861
09-06-2017, 07:26 AM
Wow! That actually looks pretty good.

Tommy
09-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Wow! That actually looks pretty good.

Yeah that director is really good. If you haven't seen any of his work, I highly recommend!

mikeC
09-06-2017, 07:45 AM
Sweet! Thanks Pablo.
Looks good.
You never go full digital, you never know when you might need a magazine renewal card.;)

Girlystevedave
09-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Damn, I'm looking forward to this.

WeDealInLead
09-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Damn, that looks great. Kind of ironic that my least favourite King novel might end up being one of my favourite King movies.

Randall Flagg
09-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Great trailer.

mae
09-08-2017, 12:59 PM
https://www.netflix.com/title/80128722

Bev Vincent
09-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Movie poster https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJoLirrX0AIcH9y.jpg

Shannon
09-13-2017, 03:07 PM
I understand WHY they didn't go the topless-the-entire-time route with the movie, but I definitely think Carla Gugino would have went for it. She's naked in ... everything.

Randall Flagg
09-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Seems weak. Blood, bullets and balls are now cool to show, but every female now makes love (or is held captive) with her tank top on.

Shannon
09-13-2017, 04:53 PM
There's a difference between sexy nudity and nudity that becomes unsexy because its on screen for two hours straight.

Randall Flagg
09-14-2017, 06:51 AM
If you are cuffed, you either had your top on, or off, prior to being cuffed. Tough put on or take off a shirt bound to bedposts.

mikeC
09-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Seems weak. Blood, bullets and balls are now cool to show, but every female now makes love (or is held captive) with her tank top on.

Because of game of thrones there's floppy wieners in everything now. Too many wieners on shows. More boobs less wieners I say.

Shannon
09-14-2017, 10:03 AM
If you are cuffed, you either had your top on, or off, prior to being cuffed. Tough put on or take off a shirt bound to bedposts.

LLOOOLLLL, you're right.

Brian861
09-14-2017, 01:17 PM

It's been my experience, from watching Cops, that most folks are cuffed without a shirt. Or with the standard issue Wife Beater. The approach to the film in that aspect is fine with me.

Because of game of thrones there's floppy wieners in everything now. Too many wieners on shows. More boobs less wieners I say.

Here, here!

mae
09-25-2017, 05:25 PM
http://variety.com/2017/film/festivals/geralds-game-review-stephen-king-1202570269/

The Year of Stephen King continues apace with the arrival of “Gerald’s Game,” one of two Netflix-produced King adaptations (along with “1922”) unveiled last weekend at Austin’s genre-skewing Fantastic Fest. But here’s the rub: It’s entirely possible that this particular adaptation may be best appreciated — or, to paraphrase the late George Michael, viewed without prejudice — by people who have never read King’s 1992 bestseller of the same title.

Writer-director Mike Flanagan (“Ouija: Origin of Evil”) and co-writer Jeff Howard have proficiently streamlined and simplified a novel that, according to the production notes, even Flanagan once considered “unfilmable.” But the end result of their reimagining might very well produce more complaints than usual from disapproving King fans that, really, the book was a lot better.

To be fair, the movie tends to adhere quite effectively to the bare bones of King’s original plot. At a secluded lake house — the kind of place where no one in the surrounding area can hear you scream — Jessie (Carla Gugino) and Gerald Burlingame (Bruce Greenwood) are squabbling about whether they should continue a kinky sex game when Gerald inconveniently expires.

Unfortunately, this leaves Jessie handcuffed to their bed, unable to free herself, increasingly frantic and dehydrated, and haunted by voices inside her head that sound more hectoring than helpful. Even more unfortunately, a famished abandoned dog wanders into the lake house through an open door, feasts on Gerald’s corpse and gradually expresses an appetite for fresher meat.

And oh, by the way, Jessie is visited by a gruesome stranger who may be a hallucination “made of moonlight,” or something much, much worse.

Right from the start, Flanagan and Howard put their own spin on the material by making Jessie far less culpable for her husband’s untimely demise, cleverly implying that Gerald died of a heart attack because he popped one too many little blue pills before playtime. But that is a relatively minor adjustment compared to what could be a deal-breaker for fans of the novel: Instead of having the voices inside Jessie’s head belong to people from her past, or manifestations of her own tortured psyche, the movie has the shackled heroine encouraged and harassed by two on-screen supporting characters: the unquiet spirit of Gerald (who’s understandably upset that the dog is treating his corpse as a blue-plate special) and a vividly imagined, no-B.S. version of Jessie herself.

Think of it this way: King’s novel could be done as a radio play (much like Lindsay Crouse’s exceptional audiobook performance of “Gerald’s Game”), while the film adaptation could, with only minor tinkering and excisions, be reconstituted as a stage play (much like the recent Broadway incarnation of King’s “Misery”).

Taken strictly on its own terms, the film adaptation is an arrestingly and sometimes excruciatingly suspenseful psychological thriller lightly garnished with horror-movie flourishes — including one especially squirm-inducing instance of copious bloodletting — and driven by a compelling lead performance that is entirely worthy of a description too often misapplied to lesser work: tour de force.

Gugino adroitly intertwines varying threads of panic, rage, resentment, gallows humor and long-simmering resentment while Jessie struggles to remain sane, or least tightly focused, while pulling double duty: anxiously searching for any means of escape, and reluctantly taking stock of the life she has lived, as well as the emotions she has repressed, up to the moment Gerald clicked on the cuffs.

Flanagan and Howard do not always display a light touch when it comes to stressing symbolism, Freudian and otherwise, but Gugino imparts compelling emotional truth into scenes that suggest (and, near the end, bluntly announce) that Jessie was shackled long before reaching the lake house, by her marriage and acquiescence to Gerald and, years earlier, by suppressed memories of sexual violation. As a result, she now has more than one set of chains to break.

Chiara Aurelia is affectingly credible as the 12-year-old Jessie, who appears in flashbacks and elsewhere. And Henry Thomas remains nimbly poised on a knife edge between manipulative predator and self-loathing weakling as Jessie’s father, arguably his meatiest role since he was cast as a dying but defiant Hank Williams in 2011’s “The Last Ride.”

But Bruce Greenwood is the one who emerges as the movie’s most valuable supporting player, playing Gerald as a sly S.O.B. who is by turns shockingly witty, appallingly misogynistic and unflappably condescending while engaged in posthumous wordplay with Jessie and her tougher-talking doppelganger.

Credit cinematographer Michael Fimognari and production designer Patrick M. Sullivan Jr. for enhancing the claustrophobic feel of scenes inside the lake-house bedroom. It must be acknowledged that, during these scenes, Gugino looks very attractive in the slinky silk slip that Maddie purchased as suitable attire for sexual hijinks. But it must also be acknowledged that the filmmakers utilize that purchase as a plant that pays off in an ingeniously nerve-wracking sequence that even Alfred Hitchcock might have envied.

mattgreenbean
09-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Just finished watching and yeah it's a decent horror film. Some hard parts to watch. Surprised I'm the first one to mention it now that it's available, kinda thought you guys would have watched it earlier today. Get to it, it's good.

Shannon
09-29-2017, 10:58 PM
Gerald's Game
3 out of 5.

Entertaining throughout, didn't like the epilogue, and while most of the "inner dialogue" was good, it was utilized a little too much.

herbertwest
09-30-2017, 02:07 AM
I thought that it would worst! It's actually not too bad of a movie.
I still think that the end of the book shouldnt have been including in the novel, and steve shouldnt have "explained" the space cowboy...

Tommy
09-30-2017, 02:59 AM
I really liked it. Some King references I noticed...

Cujo, Dolores Claiborne, Bag of Bones, The Dark Tower

I hope Flanagan gets to do more King adaptations.

Bev Vincent
09-30-2017, 03:52 AM
I liked it a lot, but the last five or ten minutes dragged a lot of the life out of it. Sometimes it's better not to follow the novel so closely. I was impressed by Greenwood -- man, he sure sold that heart attack. I especially liked his soliloquy late in the movie -- at least four minutes in a single take. That famous scene was really hard to watch.

Brian861
09-30-2017, 04:13 AM
I enjoyed it as well.

herbertwest
09-30-2017, 05:04 AM

TDT? I dont remember noticing it?

Bev Vincent
09-30-2017, 05:18 AM

TDT? I dont remember noticing it?

Gerald ends his soliloquy about how people would find their bodies by saying All Things Serve the Beam

zelig
09-30-2017, 05:24 AM
I enjoyed it.

Girlystevedave
09-30-2017, 06:14 AM
I watched the movie last night and thought it was really good. I was amazed that Stephen King managed to pull off and incredible story while the antagonist was handcuffed to a bed the entire time and I was as equally impressed over how well they did a movie based off the book.

Priest
09-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Just seen it a minute ago - and I really liked it! Was a straight 8/10 cabin in the woods movie - great!

I didn't knew the book yet , that's probably the thing.

I seriously expected

- that the scene when she finally made it was just in her mind, because her inner me told her to visualize. All details. So I expected this to be the visualization... was nice to be proven wrong !

Only thing I true did not get was

- this moonshine guy .. it just felt rushed and unfinished- is there more deep than that in the book? I didn't bought that fully

Anyhow refreshing popcorn entertainment - would love to see more king/Netflix productions

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Steve
09-30-2017, 12:38 PM
With all the talk about It galvanizing Stephen King adaptations, it’s kinda criminal that Gerald’s Game—a novel that many thought to be unfilmable unless it was through the twisted eyes of Lars von Trier—isn’t going to be getting the same rapturous attention. Because I think it’s a much more herculean effort to take a novel about a bondage session gone horribly wrong and make it work so well . . . and I think that while It is still powerfully effective, its ambition is somewhat undercut by the fact that they could only tell so much in a two-plus-hour runtime and hence had to leave so much on the cutting room floor, sacrificing characterization and world-building in order to compartmentalize the story into a single serving. But with a more modest (in length, if certainly not in content) story like Gerald’s Game, there’s more than enough time for director Mike Flanagan to take his time ratcheting up the tension . . . and boy, does he.

Carla Gugino gives the performance of her career as a stricken woman in one of the most horrifically desperate situations any person can possibly imagine, and for a film that essentially fixes her in one spot a la Buried and 127 Hours, it pretty much becomes a showcase for Gugino. If there were any justice (and if Netflix were willing to put their weight behind it), Gugino would be a contender for Best Actress.

Even though Gerald’s Game is primarily a one-woman showcase, Gugino doesn’t have to do all the work herself. There is a nice supporting ensemble to backstop her, particularly Bruce Greenwood in the titular role. Greenwood is often a reliable figure to have in your films, but I believe that this is the most I’ve ever liked him. Henry Thomas and Carel Struycken also make strong (if sickening) impacts in their brief screentime. But really, this is the Carla Gugino show, and she makes it more than worth the watch.

I can understand the criticisms of the film's last ten or so minutes, and I agree with Bev that it's perhaps best to not hew so closely to the source material when said source material ends in epistolary format, I think it still worked.

(P.S. As a huge King fan, love that they actually dropped references to Dolores Claiborne, Cujo and The Dark Tower in this.)

Randall Flagg
09-30-2017, 01:13 PM
I think there was a noticeable reference to Dolores Claiborne. The "all things serve the beam" also was a DT reference.

St. Troy
09-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Does this have any actual nudity? I may watch it with my kids, but...

Randall Flagg
09-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Not sure how that matters. It does include numerous saying of the word "cunt", and obvious molestation of a young woman; and adds a bit of "degloving", but don't worry, nary a woman's breast will be seen.

It should be rated R, but of course the C word, and degloving are all cool things for kids to hear/see.

God help us if a woman's breast were exposed (they aren't).

Brian861
09-30-2017, 07:11 PM
Not sure how that matters. It does include numerous saying of the word "cunt", and obvious molestation of a young woman; and adds a bit of "degloving", but don't worry, nary a woman's breast will be seen.

It should be rated R, but of course the C word, and degloving are all cool things for kids to hear/see.

+1

Jon
09-30-2017, 07:12 PM
Mmmmm...degloving.

Pork rinds anyone?

St. Troy
09-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Not sure how that matters.

The obvious can sometimes be difficult to explain. Awkwardness is in the eyes of the beholder; standards may have changed.

Priest
09-30-2017, 10:48 PM

+1

Adding the degrading behavior of Gerald and child abuse
I`d show my kids every naked woman I can find before I show them just 5 minute of this movie.

mae
10-04-2017, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNdfHePYqIE

Bev Vincent
10-18-2017, 02:36 AM
This is great: Netflix Employees React To... That Gerald's Game Scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMcjbYwcUrM&feature=youtu.be

jhanic
10-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Those reactions were GREAT!!!

John

mae
10-18-2017, 08:57 AM
It was a very icky scene. I physically shriveled up and cringed. Well done.

webstar1000
10-18-2017, 10:26 AM
It was a very icky scene. I physically shriveled up and cringed. Well done.

BIG TIME

Girlystevedave
10-18-2017, 10:44 AM
:lol: It was pretty gross and icky.

mae
10-18-2017, 11:06 AM
I really can't believe how far with it they went. They went for it. And then went further.

Girlystevedave
10-18-2017, 11:33 AM
:lol: No joke. It was pretty gruesome.

Brian861
10-19-2017, 11:25 AM
:lol: No joke. It was pretty gruesome.

Degloving of the hand often is :evil:

Girlystevedave
10-19-2017, 12:53 PM
:lol: That's true.

Brainslinger
11-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Ouch! Yes, that made me cringe... as it should, to be fair.

Just saw the film tonight. That was really well done. I have mixed feelings concerning the very ending, where she confronts 'the moonlight man'. I think it's faithful to the novel (but it's a while since I actually saw it) but I think I'd prefer it if it were left ambiguous as to whether or not it was this man or a supernatural creature, or figment of her imagination. I. E. Leave in the radio announcement at the start concerning grave robbing, and maybe even drop in one or two other references that you can work out if paying attention if you want the serial killer interpretation, but don't spell it out, so one can come to one's own conclusions.

On the other hand, I enjoyed that confrontation itself and her reaction echoing that line from earlier in the film "You're smaller than I remember." It was nice to show the character was getting closure and overcoming her fears.

I'm kind of undecided...

Oh yeah, The Dark Tower and Dolores Claiborn references thrilled me!

BountyHunter
11-27-2017, 02:15 AM
Yeah, I'm one of those people that never reacts, jumps, or gets grossed out by stuff in horror films, and even I was cringing and covering my eyes during THAT scene. So well done, Gerald's Game!!! :rock: