PDA

View Full Version : The Shop -- TNT developing sequel to Firestarter

Bev Vincent
05-14-2014, 06:24 AM
The drama centers on the insidious agency responsible for kidnapping and attempting to exploit the psychokinetic powers of a young girl named Charlie McGee in the original story. Now it’s 20 years later and Charlie has been tracked down by one of The Shop’s former members, Henry Talbot, who introduces her to a group of people with their own unique abilities. From the announcement: “It turns out The Shop is very much alive, bigger and badder than ever, and its dark experiments are unleashing terrifying new entities on the world. It’s now up to Talbot, Charlie and the rest of the team to find The Shop and destroy it for good.”

The project is written by Robbie Thompson (Supernatural) and produced by James Middleton (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Jaime Paglia (Eureka) and Thompson.

>>> Source (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/14/tnt-firestarter/)

stroppygoblin
05-14-2014, 06:57 AM
Any King involvement in the project Bev? (I assume not as I'm sure you would have mentioned it, but thought I'd ask)

Bev Vincent
05-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Not that I'm aware of, and I seriously doubt it.

mikeC
05-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Weird. With how great cable tv is now I don't understand why we can't get a good SK show. I like Haven and the Dome is fun but something like True Detectives or Fargo good.

It will interesting to see the quality and how well The Strain does maybe that will get a different kind of SK made.

skyofcrack
05-14-2014, 11:37 AM
SK should host his own anthology show ala Hitchcock and call it Stephen King's Night Shift.

CyberGhostface
05-14-2014, 12:47 PM
I think that the 'Nightmares & Dreamscapes' miniseries had a good idea of making his short stories an anthology even if the episodes themselves were hit or miss.

mikeC
05-14-2014, 01:35 PM
SK should host his own anthology show ala Hitchcock and call it Stephen King's Night Shift.

I might be wrong but I think he was asked to do that in the '80s and declined.

I think that the 'Nightmares & Dreamscapes' miniseries had a good idea of making his short stories an anthology even if the episodes themselves were hit or miss.

I was hoping that would be renewed. They were quality productions too. End of the Whole Mess is my favorite adaptation out of anything.

Merlin1958
05-14-2014, 02:53 PM

This a great idea, but they need to take it a little more seriously. Like MikeC said on a par with True Detective and Fargo.

FWIW I think it is bad form to try turning this new series into a sequel to "Firestarter". They should have gone the "prequel" route and thereby not fucked with the source material. The "Shop" was depicted as a preety nasty covert domestic organization. There would be plenty of material to work with and they would never have to mess with the original book/movie storylines except maybe to "wink" at it.

divemaster
05-17-2014, 04:41 PM
...They should have gone the "prequel" route and thereby not fucked with the source material. The "Shop" was depicted as a preety nasty covert domestic organization. There would be plenty of material to work with and they would never have to mess with the original book/movie storylines except maybe to "wink" at it.

Yes! That's what I thought when I read the thread title. A prequel!

Alas, not meant to be...