PDA

View Full Version : Collectible Books that Others Love (but you secretly hate) - and vice versa

biomieg
04-24-2014, 08:19 PM
'Just for shit & giggles' as some of my Anglophone friends here would say. The title is pretty self-explanatory. A little tongue-in-cheekness is allowed, of course. But be honest!

Which collectible King books that everyone seems to love just don't do it for you? And which books that no one likes make your heart beat a little faster?

Everybody loves them but I've always been majorly underwhelmed by the shiny limited editions that Cemetery Dance produces, especially those gaudy lettereds in their satin-lined boxes. Too much fluff! And - blasphemy! - I hate the gift edition of IT, simply because I can't get past the fugly brown slipcase! I'm not a collector of limited editions but I've owned a few and to me the best ones are the understated editions like Dolan's Cadillac, Six Stories, The Plant and 'Salem's Lot.

I love those old, plain proofs that most here don't even consider collectibles because they look like nothing on your bookshelf. And I'll take my boring UK Night Shift over a 'coffin' Stand any day. There you have it!

Who's next?

Merlin1958
04-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Faithful

What absolute drivel. This book was meant to be burned by everyone who is not a Red Sux fan and even a few who are. I have!!! 86 years and suddenly you discover a spiritual aspect? You suck, move on!!!! 27 Championships, baby!!!! Take your place in line, which is waaaayyy down the line!!! You sold "Babe Ruth" to finance "No, No, Nannette"!!!! LOL LOL LOL

:YYY::YYY::YYY:

Patrick
04-24-2014, 09:37 PM
I think FAITHFUL is cool, even though I've never read it. I don't claim to be a fan of the team. I just like underdog success stories.

On a side note, I don't get why Bill is such a sore loser. :P

:couple:

I have a hard time with the cost of the S/L of DANSE MACABRE because it just doesn't look like I'd be getting much for the market price, so I don't own one.

Merlin1958
04-24-2014, 09:40 PM
I think FAITHFUL is cool, even though I've never read it. I don't claim to be a fan of the team. I just like underdog success stories.

On a side note, I don't get why Bill is such a sore loser. :P

:couple:

I have a hard time with the cost of the S/L of DANSE MACABRE because it just doesn't look like I'd be getting much for the market price, so I don't own one.

Patrick, you know I love and respect you, but you have to admit you saw this coming, right?

:FU::YYY:

Patrick
04-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Yes, I figured those emoticons were likely headed my way.

On topic:

A couple books I love that I know are disliked by some: SECRETARY OF DREAMS, Volumes I & II. I think these S/L's are really cool. Chadbourne overload and all.

Merlin1958
04-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Yes, I figured those emoticons were likely headed my way.

On topic:

A couple books I love that I know are disliked by some: SECRETARY OF DREAMS, Volumes I & II. I think these S/L's are really cool. Chadbourne overload and all.

I really treasure the SOD books as well.

jonahwriter
04-25-2014, 01:59 AM
I tend to love collecting personally-inscribed (and not to me) signatures more than S/L's, even though I know S/L are more collectible. I like S/L's but I prefer personally inscribed, and especially inscriptions that are lengthy or funny or unique. I also have a thing for collecting signed damaged/old books for cheap, not in collectible quality, and fixing them up a little. I also agree with biomeg - I think the old proofs look better than the S/L "coffin" Stand.

Robert Fulman
04-25-2014, 03:13 AM
Six Stories. I don't get why people go so crazy for a paperback.

Robert Fulman
04-25-2014, 03:39 AM
As for favorites, I live Grant's black traycase editions. My favorite limiteds are Prime Evil, Black House, and The Crow (not SK). I get more satisfaction out of my Black House SL than I do out out my Talisman SL, and the Dark Tower SL I want more than any other is LSOE. I love things that tell a story; one of my Black House SLs was owned by Peter Straub, and I have an issue of Castle Rick that was sent to Donald Grant. I have the first book ever published by DMG, a bibliography of Edgar Rice Burroughs, inscribed by the author (Henry Heins) to Robert E. Briney, who was also a fantasy/sf bibliographer and wrote an introduction to a later DMG book. The Burroughs bibliography contains a letter from Heins explaining that the book would be delayed (again) because Mr. Grant couldn't get his act together. I like connections, bits and pieces that fit together, even if they only have meaning to me. I love my copy of DT III with a drawing of a rose in it, probably more than my DT III SL. Last night I bought a Dameron sketch on ebay; the seller had it listed as "unpublished", but I recognized it as a prelim for one of the paintings in a Grant book (either Kull or Face in the Abyss), and I love that this hobby gives me a fun way to apply my skill for remembering bits of trivia.

The Library Policeman
04-25-2014, 04:09 AM
Old NEL and FUTURA paperbacks simply for nostalgia reasons. Standing as a teenager in the horror section of John Menzies News Agents looking at the King paperbacks really gave me a buzz when I was 14. Choosing one to buy was even better! Collecting these old, worthless books with the cool covers again is really pleasurable for me :)

jonahwriter
04-25-2014, 04:24 AM
Old NEL and FUTURA paperbacks simply for nostalgia reasons. Standing as a teenager in the horror section of John Menzies News Agents looking at the King paperbacks really gave me a buzz when I was 14. Choosing one to buy was even better! Collecting these old, worthless books with the cool covers again is really pleasurable for me :)

I do this too! The original UK paperback of "IT", the hardback UK omnibus of Misery/The Shining/Carrie, and the UK paperback of "Gerald's Game" with the little cabin in the woods on the front and the line "Words are his power" - the editions I first read in other words as a kid and teen, massive nostalgia!

Randall Flagg
04-25-2014, 04:48 AM
Most others probably don't get thrilled by them, but I really like all three editions of "Dolan's Cadillac". Though really just glorified chapbooks, I just love the covers, the paper stock, even the fonts.
I hate the S/L Gunslinger. ~$5K and it (other than 1 page) is the same as the trade.

JasonUK
04-25-2014, 04:54 AM
I was so unimpressed by the signed editions of Subterranean Press' THE GREEN MILE that I sold both. The limited was nice but was way overpriced and the lettered did nothing for me - cloth bound and a tiny piece of original art - big whoop! To paraphrase Edmund Blackadder - a lettered edition not bound in leather is like a broken pencil...pointless.

George at C-Springs
04-25-2014, 06:53 AM
Hello. My name is George, and I'm an addict. I'm addicted to remarques (every book should have one), proofs, and S/Ls. One of my favorite books is an ex-library edition of Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. I write inside my trades and paperbacks every day as I'm reading them, and have done so for most of my life, they act like a diary. I don't like pre-printed autographs; I just don't see the point. The same goes for liver, brussel sprouts, okra, and collard greens.

AKC
04-25-2014, 07:00 AM
The Talisman S/L....blah.

Looks like it belongs on the table at a nursing home......

Cook
04-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Except for a duly notated dedicated fundraiser..... remarque's in 1st/1st trade editions feel so wrong to me.
Don't get me wrong, some are "very" nice but please save the remarque for the specialty publisher gift editions.

becca69
04-25-2014, 07:53 AM
I love my personalized SK books although I know that most prefer flat signed. I'm not fond of owning paperback books (except arcs), although the art is usually cool - someday I might pick up the Bachman books but I won't be happy about it. Finally, I think the S/L Gunslinger is way overpriced for what it is. I have a 2x signed first in fine condition that I'm just as happy with.

Frankie
04-25-2014, 11:09 AM
and the Dark Tower SL I want more than any other is LSOE.

One of my favorites too. The oily silver effect on the traycase is beautiful, and Whelan is a badass.

stroppygoblin
04-25-2014, 02:59 PM
My pet hate is that damned (Shining/'salem's Lot/Night Shift/Carrie) omnibus edition. Why does it rate being in the 1st edition listing when no other omnibus editions get included?

tippy4
04-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Except for a duly notated dedicated fundraiser..... remarque's in 1st/1st trade editions feel so wrong to me.
Don't get me wrong, some are "very" nice but please save the remarque for the specialty publisher gift editions.

I have no problems with remarques in trade editions, but for me, any remarque done in a book that was not illustrated by the artist adding the remarque is something I dislike......ok hate.

I am fine with Michael Whelan doing a remarque in a 1st trade edition of The Dark Tower, or Ned Dameron doing one in a 1st trade edition of The Waste Lands, but would hate a Bernie Wrightson Remarque in a 1st trade edition of From a Buick 8 (even if he was the illustrator of the GE and SL), or a Glenn Chadbourne remarque in a GE of Doctor Sleep. I also don't want Vincent Chong putting a remarque in my 1st edition of The Shining....but would be fine with Dave Christensen since he was the cover artist (I had to look that up....the catalog is my friend).

I don't like pre-printed autographs; I just don't see the point.

I am right there with you. I don't own a single King book with a facsimile signature (I don't count Pet Semetary, which has an embossed signature on the cover).

Lot guy
04-25-2014, 03:15 PM
The signature on the cover of Pet Semetary isn't real? But the guy on Ebay assured me it was

tippy4
04-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Same with the signatures in the back of my Talisman paperback.

jonahwriter
04-25-2014, 03:49 PM
The only pre-printed aka facsimile autograph I like is the one in the UK "Christmas Gift" limited edition of DOLORES CLAIBORNE. I don't know, it looks more "real" - maybe because it's in blue ink on a bookplate? But yeah, don't see the point in them.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mOJkdlQEtK7P9K9_m7PICJQ.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-25-2014, 04:07 PM
I only had to give this topic about one second of thought (or less). Without a doubt my most hated S/L that some really like is Secretary of Dreams. IMO, that was a book that never needed to be published. The only other book that had less need to be published was.....wait for it.......Secretary of Dreams, Vol. 2. All the stories had been published elsewhere and the artwork......well, to me it is somewhat juvenile. I have never made it all the way through reading even one story. Honestly, IMO, it is just inane.

On the other hand I really like the Grant editions of The Talisman and Prime Evil. Not sure why they get dissed sometimes. The artwork in both really makes it for me. Lots of different artists....all with talent.

DoctorZaius
04-25-2014, 04:38 PM
I really don't care for the LSOE and the WTTKW limited editions. I really would have preferred them being done in a similar size and fashion to the rest of the Dark Tower series. They just don't fit in with the rest!

George at C-Springs
04-25-2014, 06:50 PM
I have no problems with remarques in trade editions, but for me, any remarque done in a book that was not illustrated by the artist adding the remarque is something I dislike......ok hate.

I am fine with Michael Whelan doing a remarque in a 1st trade edition of The Dark Tower, or Ned Dameron doing one in a 1st trade edition of The Waste Lands, but would hate a Bernie Wrightson Remarque in a 1st trade edition of From a Buick 8 (even if he was the illustrator of the GE and SL), or a Glenn Chadbourne remarque in a GE of Doctor Sleep. I also don't want Vincent Chong putting a remarque in my 1st edition of The Shining....but would be fine with Dave Christensen since he was the cover artist (I had to look that up....the catalog is my friend).

Agree! Except I also like them in my S/Ls and Lettereds, but yes, must be the illustrating artist.

The signature on the cover of Pet Semetary isn't real? But the guy on Ebay assured me it was

LOL

I only had to give this topic about one second of thought (or less). Without a doubt my most hated S/L that some really like is Secretary of Dreams. IMO, that was a book that never needed to be published. The only other book that had less need to be published was.....wait for it.......Secretary of Dreams, Vol. 2. All the stories had been published elsewhere and the artwork......well, to me it is somewhat juvenile. I have never made it all the way through reading even one story. Honestly, IMO, it is just inane.

I've got four copies of the gift edition, two remarqued and two not ... and I've never read any of them. Too comic-booky for me. Even the remarques are very basic, not much time/effort went into them at all.

RC65
04-26-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't care for remarques, and I really don't care for ARCs/proofs. I understand why folks would collect both, but I just don't like them (especially the latter).

Dolso
04-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Personally, 'On Writing' would be the least favorite for me. The end result of good writing is what i like - not the process of getting there. I'd have to agree with Bill on Faithful but for different reasons. I could care less about the teams or the sport (with the possible exception of the Series) & it purely doesn't interest me. That being said, I DID enjoy Blockade Billy....

Someone mentioned Danse Macabre and I can honestly say I don't know if I've read it or even tried to read it. I used to binge read - stay up all night almost in a trance - just absorbing the thing. But then gone back years later to re-read a book I know I did read & thinking - "WOW, I don't remember that. This is a lot better than last time!"

ap275
04-27-2014, 07:20 AM
I liked the Shining movie more than the book itself. Dead Zone is my second favorite King book, right after the Stand.

biomieg
04-27-2014, 07:25 AM
Keep your input coming guys! But just to be sure: my intention when I created the thread was to focus on collectible books/items, not on comparing the contents (story-wise) of the books. There are many threads where you can discuss whether or not you liked a book.

For example, I want to hear that you dislike the 'coffin' S/L edition of The Stand (which almost everybody loves) and why you don't like it, or that you love magazines with short story first appearances more than you love the lettered edition of IT and why that is the case :) basically, a showcase for under- or over-appreciated items.

Cook
04-27-2014, 08:22 AM

My least favorite way way way overpriced S/L's;
The Darkman "Lettered" $1,750
Stephen King's Battleground "Lettered" $1,250
Blockade Billy "Lettered" $1,250
TGWLTG "Lettered" $1,000

...Did I mention overpriced?

mistercrowley
04-27-2014, 08:38 AM
I was very unimpressed with the S/l of TWTTKH. I thought the artist edition was actually better

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-27-2014, 09:39 AM

TGWLTG "Lettered" $1,000

If anyone has TGWLTG "Lettered" for $1,000 I will buy it. In fact I will pay $2000.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-27-2014, 10:04 AM

TGWLTG "Lettered" $1,000

If anyone has TGWLTG "Lettered" for $1,000 I will buy it. In fact I will pay $2000.

Haha....I knew that was coming. Lettered?

Mulleins

EXPLORER
04-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Faithful

What absolute drivel. This book was meant to be burned by everyone who is not a Red Sux fan and even a few who are. I have!!! 86 years and suddenly you discover a spiritual aspect? You suck, move on!!!! 27 Championships, baby!!!! Take your place in line, which is waaaayyy down the line!!! You sold "Babe Ruth" to finance "No, No, Nannette"!!!! LOL LOL LOL

BILL< It was not necessary or appropriate for you to post this in this forum.......... As the title says " (but you secretly hate) "
IT IS NO SECRET THAT YOU HATE FAITHFUL !

tippy4
04-27-2014, 10:47 AM
I was very unimpressed with the S/l of TWTTKH. I thought the artist edition was actually better

Aren't they the same book?

So in other words you are saying you like the slipcase better than the traycase?

The Library Policeman
04-27-2014, 11:14 AM

I'll swap you! :P

Patrick
04-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Most others probably don't get thrilled by them, but I really like all three editions of "Dolan's Cadillac". Though really just glorified chapbooks, I just love the covers, the paper stock, even the fonts.
I hate the S/L Gunslinger. ~$5K and it (other than 1 page) is the same as the trade.
I agree about DOLAN'S. I have only one of the three editions, but I like it a lot.

Actually I like SIX STORIES a lot, too, for reasons I cannot explain - despite it being, as mentioned upthread, a softcover book.

tippy4
04-27-2014, 02:52 PM

I will beat that offer and give you TWO GEs for your S/L!

:P :P :P

The Library Policeman
04-27-2014, 03:20 PM

I will beat that offer and give you TWO GEs for your S/L!

:P :P :P

Hahaha :D :D

Merlin1958
04-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Faithful

BILL< It was not necessary or appropriate for you to post this in this forum.......... As the title says " (but you secretly hate) "
IT IS NO SECRET THAT YOU HATE FAITHFUL !

Sorry,:blush: However, I just can't help myself as you all know. Hi my name is, Bill and I am a HUGE Yankee fan!!! LOL I'll leave you all to it from here on in.

Rahfa
04-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Joyland was a lame story that didn't go anywhere, and certainly didn't deserve a limited.

As for those who get bent out of shape about "Faithful"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgL_5QcZCMo

goathunter
04-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Joyland was a lame story that didn't go anywhere, and certainly didn't deserve a limited.

And I thought it was King's best novel since The Green Mile. With that, Doctor Sleep, and 11/22/63, King is on a roll. They make up for the garbage called Under the Dome.....

Hunter

Ari_Racing
04-30-2014, 04:40 PM

I disagree. :) I loved the book. The S/L isn't very nice but it was so cheap I won't complain.

Ari_Racing
04-30-2014, 04:47 PM
I didn't like the S/L (or the gift edition) of TWTTK.

And I LOVE 11/22/63 S/L.

Randall Flagg
06-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Cycle of the Werewolf S/L. Just a glorified calendar.

webstar1000
06-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Really? My good buddy.. it is what you make it!

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/websterweddingmexico/IMG_0627.jpg~original (http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/websterweddingmexico/media/IMG_0627.jpg.html)
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/websterweddingmexico/IMG_0626.jpg~original (http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/websterweddingmexico/media/IMG_0626.jpg.html)

Randall Flagg
06-16-2017, 12:07 PM

Agreed, but I haven't made (or had made) something like that. The case and presentation make a dull book more interesting.

Ari_Racing
06-16-2017, 12:24 PM
I really would love to see more pics of the last edition!

Lot guy
06-16-2017, 12:38 PM

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/websterweddingmexico/IMG_0627.jpg (http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/websterweddingmexico/media/IMG_0627.jpg.html)
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/websterweddingmexico/IMG_0626.jpg (http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/websterweddingmexico/media/IMG_0626.jpg.html)

Amazing!

shaq
06-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Love The Stand S/L...I read the preface in it just last night, and felt all warm and happy doing so.

The Regulators S/L...secretly hate..not even signed by King in his own name, he's just written in them. Bullets are a gimmick...

Please don't ban me.

Randall Flagg
06-16-2017, 12:47 PM
The Regulators S/L...secretly hate..not even signed by King in his own name, he's just written in them. Bullets are a gimmick...

Please don't ban me.
Don't worry. The thread is intended to bring out these feelings in SK Collectors. You are in a safe room. No one will harm you here. Bare your soul...

shaq
06-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Ah well seeing as I have permission... the whole concept of Bachman being dead and couldn't sign. Great idea, and the cheques I do like but King is a 'horror story' author or whatever badge he dislikes, so in my mind being dead doesn't cut it, he could have risen from the grave, and scraped his name in blood!! Death is not an excuse/barrier!!

As for Joyland, another guilty pleasure, as is Buick, and The Shining (the original S/L)

Edited to add...

I love the stand because it is an amazing story wrapped in the most beautiful cover, and coffin that looks and feels pure quality. Strangely some (at least one above) don't like it...go figure.

as for Joyland, well, the story seems to me King flexing his writing skills within a traditional 'ghost' story / haunted funfair / love story. I love the limited edition for the sheer simplistic production, no frills design, and release at an unheard of price. I recall some thought it cheap but I like the design and the story not that engaging. I liked it immensely, much more than the highly anticipated 2nd release that year.

Regulators for the above.

Randall Flagg
06-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Once again-It needs to be what most other collectors adore, but you dislike (not a guilty pleasure). Otherwise the thread doesn't work.

"They love it, I don't".

Then explain.

The Library Policeman
06-16-2017, 02:52 PM
I really like the PS reprints made here in the UK and I know not everyone does. I like them mainly because they're small and kinda book sized.

Having some King books sized 6ft by 3ft is great but it's nice to be fucking normal sometimes. :)

jsmcmullen92
06-19-2017, 05:45 AM
I secretly hate and never plan to own the DT S/L. I found the story kinda dull and the limited editions do not offer enough for me. That said one of my favorite limited editions everyone seems to pass off is the Desperation S/L. I think Grant did a marvelous job on that book and have thought about buying up everyone that pops up for sale around the original price just because I like it so much. (I still only have one. Have not convinced the other half to let me buy more than one.)

amd013
06-19-2017, 12:18 PM
I've never seen the attraction of S/L's where King just wrote the introduction. I mean, if you are buying it for the original Author, I understand. For example Frankenstein and The Girl Next Door.

I guess its just my way of drawing the line somewhere.

Tommy
06-19-2017, 02:20 PM
I've never cared for The Talisman S/L. The colors and art used do absolutely nothing for me.

peripheral
06-20-2017, 02:46 AM
I've never seen the attraction of S/L's where King just wrote the introduction. I mean, if you are buying it for the original Author, I understand. For example Frankenstein and The Girl Next Door.

I guess its just my way of drawing the line somewhere.

I agree, and draw the same line. I think that's probably why they generally sell at a consistently lower price than a straight-up King S/L...

becca69
06-20-2017, 08:03 AM
I really don't like lettered books that are exactly like the numbered edition. If I'm going to pay that kind of money, I want something spectacular! They may be more "rare" but I don't see the attraction (unless you've gotten a deal, of course ;) )

webstar1000
06-20-2017, 08:11 AM
I really don't like lettered books that are exactly like the numbered edition. If I'm going to pay that kind of money, I want something spectacular! They may be more "rare" but I don't see the attraction (unless you've gotten a deal, of course ;) )

I agree.... I feel the same way. I also don't like when the letter is totally unattainable. I will never go for a total lettered collection. S/L I am after and VERY close but will never for for the lettered.

TravelinJack
06-20-2017, 08:43 AM

I can't tell you how much I agree with you there. If the only difference is a letter versus a number, no bueno. Same edition, different stroke of the ink or pencil on the limitation page. :confused1:

Brian861
06-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Love The Stand S/L...I read the preface in it just last night, and felt all warm and happy doing so.

Please don't ban me.

Agree about The Regulators S/L. The whole bullet thing looks gaudy as hell to me. I do, however, dig how and who the checks are made out to.

RC65
06-21-2017, 07:45 AM
I've never cared for The Talisman S/L. The colors and art used do absolutely nothing for me.

That would be my pick as well, and for the reasons mentioned.

webstar1000
06-21-2017, 07:55 AM

Please don't ban me.

Agree about The Regulators S/L. The whole bullet thing looks gaudy as hell to me. I do, however, dig how and who the checks are made out to.

I am at a loss for words how anyone can find those bullets "gaudy". It is brilliant and different... more so than any other lettered done. :confused:

Brian861
06-21-2017, 08:01 AM

Please don't ban me.

I am at a loss for words how anyone can find those bullets "gaudy". It is brilliant and different... more so than any other lettered done. :confused:

Well, I'm just a lowly collector with one signed SK book to his name. WTF do I know......

webstar1000
06-21-2017, 08:04 AM

Please don't ban me.

Well, I'm just a lowly collector with one signed SK book to his name. WTF do I know......

? Just giving my thoughts mate. Thats all, I wasn't bashing you.

Brian861
06-21-2017, 08:17 AM
No worries. Opinions are like elbows; most folks have at least two. Both posting within the perimeters of the thread.

Tommy
06-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Please don't ban me.

I sort of agree with this as well. The idea is cool but the execution just looks like someone glued some bullets to a book.

Brian861
06-21-2017, 10:37 AM
The primer end of the shell doesn't bother me so much. Just the way the bullets are made to look like they protrude through the cover. I don't know. Cheapens it I guess. Anyway, moving on :deadhorse:

P.S. Apologize, Kris if I came across as a dick. I just really dislike the looks of the one particular cover :)

Randall Flagg
06-21-2017, 01:13 PM
I love the look of the lettered Regulators. Is it ostentatious? YES. Is it an outrageous concept executed very well? YES.
Is it to everyone's taste? No.

That's what this thread is for-not to debate who is right or wrong, but to hear why a person likes/dislikes something. It's very insightful.

Randall Flagg
06-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Of course the go-to hate (previously mentioned), is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon S/L (and purportedly 15 lettered-This is where Gerald comes in and produces one) was the biggest money grab. King didn't even write the exact verbiage in the "kids book".
Credit for the fold-out execution, but that was done on the trade also so it isn't a One-of-a-kind collectible.

peripheral
06-21-2017, 09:54 PM
I was disappointed when I got the Regulators S/L. I love the idea of the cheque. But it's basically the 1st edition Regs. In a box...

Edit: (Man, that felt cathartic. This thread may be the therapy I need..!)

WeDealInLead
06-22-2017, 04:27 AM
The Dark Tower. I understand the appeal of the "cool factor" and the thrill of chasing down your number but they're just plain, boring books.

webstar1000
06-22-2017, 04:35 AM
The Dark Tower. I understand the appeal of the "cool factor" and the thrill of chasing down your number but they're just plain, boring books.

The first 7 yeah... .other than the artwork is FANTASTIC.

jsmcmullen92
06-22-2017, 05:15 AM

The first 7 yeah... .other than the artwork is FANTASTIC.

See but the artwork is in the trade editions. If it wasn't there I would say the limiteds would be worth it for the addition of King sig, some new art and an artist sig but the only difference is a sig and a slipcase... meh

Ari_Racing
06-23-2017, 02:07 PM
It's not an edition but a "feature": I couldn't care less about marbled endpapers.

Randall Flagg
06-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Well if we're getting into features, I've never cared for the satin ribbon page markers ONLY because of how they are arranged in the books. The bottom of the ribbons are turned up and tucked in between pages which cause a crease that NEVER goes away. I don't like creases on my satin ribbon page markers. How's that for a first world complaint? :wtf:
Weird, obtuse and nonsisical...

Tommy
06-23-2017, 10:45 PM
I deleted my comment. Sorry everyone.

frik
08-02-2017, 06:11 AM
The Asbestos lettered Firestarter: ugly, ugly book!

sk

becca69
08-02-2017, 06:29 AM
I was disappointed when I got the Regulators S/L. I love the idea of the cheque. But it's basically the 1st edition Regs. In a box...

I love this book except for the fact that there aren't any illustrations... WHY???!!!

jsmcmullen92
08-02-2017, 06:41 AM

I love this book except for the fact that there aren't any illustrations... WHY???!!!

I think that is why I do not own one. I didn't care for the story and with no added art there is no added value to it for me other than the check and I don't wanna pay ~$900 for a check signed by King in a pen name.

Room 217 Caretaker
08-02-2017, 06:47 AM

We could all say the same about Firestarter S/L and that value keeps creeping up.

Mulleins

swintek
08-02-2017, 07:07 AM
The Asbestos lettered Firestarter: ugly, ugly book!

sk

+1

Papaseraphim
08-04-2017, 06:36 AM
The Secretary of Dreams books. They don't do anything for me.

ICry4Oy
08-04-2017, 08:40 AM
The Secretary of Dreams books. They don't do anything for me.

^This!

St. Troy
08-04-2017, 08:49 AM
When I first saw the descriptions of the SoD books, I thought "wow, totally superfluous, definitely not for me, probably only for the completist types."

Then I saw the artwork, and the way it was used; knowing these stories pretty well, I was impressed with how it would all work.

SoD fits the profile of a needless book - but they look awesome and I want them.

Beverly Marsh
08-04-2017, 09:26 AM
I couldn't care less about having any DT S/L's. I have the first's(except Gunslinger which I recently sold because I just didn't care enough about it)and the artist editions and I'm good with them. While I may get thrown to the slaughter for this not one of the DT books are in my Top 10 King novels. I'd much rather get other S/L's and flatsigned novels that don't have S/L's. Still looking for a Misery!

bdwyer19
08-04-2017, 10:51 AM
I couldn't care less about having any DT S/L's. I have the first's(except Gunslinger which I recently sold because I just didn't care enough about it)and the artist editions and I'm good with them. While I may get thrown to the slaughter for this not one of the DT books are in my Top 10 King novels. I'd much rather get other S/L's and flatsigned novels that don't have S/L's. Still looking for a Misery!

I feel exactly the same way. I like the first edition DT books I have (second edition for DT1), but I've never had any interest in making the massive investment for the S/Ls. Like you, I'm much more motivated to get signed first editions and other S/Ls.

webstar1000
08-04-2017, 10:53 AM
I hate Whispers... nemesis of mine.