PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #11: Lisey's Story (2006)

mae
04-23-2014, 05:54 AM
Lisey's Story, 2006
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Lisey_s_Story_face.jpg

Please vote for Lisey's Story (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisey%27s_Story) using the following scale:

Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Jean
04-23-2014, 06:01 AM

both earned by Lisey's sister

webstar1000
04-23-2014, 06:36 AM
You know... I even had to go on line and read the plot on this one. It was so far forgotten I cannot imagine giving it higher than a 2.5. NO impression what so ever... like to hear from who gave it the 5...

frik
04-23-2014, 06:51 AM

One of my all-time favorites.

sk

divemaster
04-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Also a 2 for me. One of the few books it just took me forever to get through b/c I just wasn't into it. A "page-turner" this was not. I actually liked most of the story set in the real world, but all that stuff with the Long-Boy and Bool ya Moon or whatever did nothing for me at all.

stroppygoblin
04-23-2014, 08:30 AM
it gets a lot better with subsequent reads IMHO

Iwritecode
04-23-2014, 08:30 AM
I had to give it a 1. I’ve never struggled so hard to get through a book in my life. I’m a pretty fast reader but it took me weeks to get through the first 50 pages or so.

I kept pushing on hoping it would get better but it never did.

stroppygoblin
04-23-2014, 08:35 AM
I had to give it a 1. I’ve never struggled so hard to get through a book in my life. I’m a pretty fast reader but it took me weeks to get through the first 50 pages or so.

Thats the problem I think. I'm a voracious reader as well and this book needs time to digest. It's a slow burner for sure.

Girlystevedave
04-23-2014, 08:50 AM

I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't re-read it. :orely:

Jean
04-23-2014, 08:54 AM

there's the rub. One has to think he is immortal to undertake such an attempt.

Heather19
04-23-2014, 10:14 AM
1, one of King's worst. I hated it.

Same here, if I knew it wasn't going to get any better, I would have stopped right away instead of struggling thru it.

there's the rub. One has to think he is immortal to undertake such an attempt.

:lol: I'm not sure I could make myself re-read this one if I tried.

Andrew Campbell
04-23-2014, 07:08 PM
1. Awful.

Iwritecode
04-24-2014, 06:15 AM

Thats the problem I think. I'm a voracious reader as well and this book needs time to digest. It's a slow burner for sure.

I think I did re-read quite a few pages several times at the beginning because I couldn’t quite make sense of what exactly was going on.

Jean
04-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Lisey's Story writing style:

she held out her hand, which consisted of a palm, four fingers and a thumb, each with a nail, and took a cup, a blue vessel with a small circular handle through which she put the index finger of her right hand, which consisted of a palm, four fingers and a thumb, each with a nail, and put the blue vessel with a small circular handle through which she had put the index finger of her right hand, to her lips, between which there were thirty-two teeth, canines, incisors, premolars, molars and wisdom teeth, and took a sip of the tea from the blue vessel with a small circular handle which she was holding in her hand, consisting of a palm, four fingers and a thumb....

etc ad infinitum

Ben Staad
04-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Keep going...You have me intrigued. :smile_002:

she held out her hand, which consisted of a palm, four fingers and a thumb, each with a nail, and took a cup, a blue vessel with a small circular handle through which she put the index finger of her right hand, which consisted of a palm, four fingers and a thumb, each with a nail, and put the blue vessel with a small circular handle through which she had put the index finger of her right hand, to her lips, between which there were thirty-two teeth, canines, incisors, premolars, molars and wisdom teeth, and took a sip of the tea from the blue vessel with a small circular handle which she was holding in her hand, consisting of a palm, four fingers and a thumb....

etc ad infinitum

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-24-2014, 10:14 AM
1. Fucking terrible. That is all.

Andrew Campbell
04-24-2014, 08:54 PM

etc ad infinitum

. . . and, while she sipped her tea, she contemplated the sky, in the northern latitude of the western hemisphere of an unremarkable planet orbiting a remote star on the edge of a pinwheel-shaped galaxy in a universe of . . .

Yeah. It was tough to wade through all that.

Jean
04-24-2014, 09:48 PM
precisely

Jon
04-24-2014, 09:49 PM
found this to be a very good book and so refreshing after DT7 which I found to be a ...cop out.

Heather19
04-25-2014, 04:57 AM
So is this the book with the most number 1's so far?

Girlystevedave
04-25-2014, 05:55 AM

etc ad infinitum

:rofl:
Bears made a funny.

mae
04-30-2014, 06:28 AM
The poll has closed. Lisey's Story has earned a FAS (final average score) of 2.780000000 or 55.60%. It received a rating of 1 with 5 votes.

frik
04-30-2014, 06:32 AM
:cry:

sk