PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #11: Faithful (2004)

mae
04-23-2014, 05:52 AM
Faithful, 2004
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Fathful_face.jpg

Please vote for Faithful (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithful_(book)) using the following scale:

Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Jean
04-23-2014, 06:06 AM
never read, and probably never will

mae
04-23-2014, 06:07 AM

Probably?

Jean
04-23-2014, 06:09 AM
there is a very high (closely approximating 1) probability that there'll always be some other books between me and this one

webstar1000
04-23-2014, 06:30 AM
I wont read this.. not for me...

frik
04-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Never read.

sk

divemaster
04-23-2014, 06:58 AM
The only vote I'll cast as "never read." I assume this is a non-fiction baseball essay of some sort? If so, I might read it one day. I'm a HUGE baseball fan and I like (most) of King's non-fiction. (I loved Head Down from Nightmares & Dreamscapes).

mae
04-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Surprised at all the "Never reads", this book is ten years old. And it's King, people! I thought we Constant Readers would read his laundry list, if he'd publish it.

Jean
04-23-2014, 07:04 AM
(I loved Head Down from Nightmares & Dreamscapes).Yes, I noticed. That's the one where I couldn't even understand what it was about, so had to quit on page 3.

divemaster
04-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Yeah, but you didn't play Little League! That essay stirred warm feelings and nostalgia in me. Kids' organized sports in the U.S. has its own set of memories for a lot of us. I thought King's story captured it perfectly. I was able to put myself right into the story: I *was* that pitcher with the game on the line. I *was* that batter who struck out. I *was* that fielder who made the catch.

Jean
04-23-2014, 07:59 AM
oh yes, I see! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_thoughtful.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bearmood_thoughtful.gif.html)

Iwritecode
04-23-2014, 08:15 AM
The only vote I'll cast as "never read." I assume this is a non-fiction baseball essay of some sort? If so, I might read it one day. I'm a HUGE baseball fan and I like (most) of King's non-fiction. (I loved Head Down from Nightmares & Dreamscapes).

Same here. I’m a big baseball fan. Just not a fan of the Red Sox.

stroppygoblin
04-23-2014, 08:33 AM
probably the lowest vote i'm going to make, but its an interesting read if you have no alliances to a US baseball team. I suspect a lot of people wont vote on this or vote low purely because of the "I'd rather be covered in boiling oil and set on fire than read a book about the Red Sox" issue.

divemaster
04-23-2014, 09:11 AM
probably the lowest vote i'm going to make, but its an interesting read if you have no alliances to a US baseball team. I suspect a lot of people wont vote on this or vote low purely because of the "I'd rather be covered in boiling oil and set on fire than read a book about the Red Sox" issue.

Well, I'm a Cubs fan. The American League doesn't even show up on my radar screen. I'm sure I could enjoy the book as a baseball fan, though. But if he extols the virtues of the Designated Hitter, I'm out!

Heather19
04-23-2014, 10:08 AM

Same here, and I come from Red Sox land. Just never been a fan of sports, so I highly doubt I'll read it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-23-2014, 10:12 AM
I think Bills rating could have stemmed somewhat from the subject matter rather than the quality of the prose.

Jean
04-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Same here, and I come from Red Sox land. Just never been a fan of sports, so I highly doubt I'll read it.
bears don't even know baseball rules, and they have never seen a baseball game in their life

stroppygoblin
04-23-2014, 01:54 PM
I cry foul on Merlin's vote!

Either he admits to reading it (in which case wrap up warm, because it would appear hell has frozen over) or he has to vote with a 'never read' !!

Merlin1958
04-23-2014, 09:50 PM

YES!!!

I think Bills rating could have stemmed somewhat from the subject matter rather than the quality of the prose.

YES!!

Either he admits to reading it (in which case wrap up warm, because it would appear hell has frozen over) or he has to vote with a 'never read' !!

It is true I have not, nor ever will read this book. I have touched it once, with surgical gloves on, for the purposes of burning it, which I filmed and placed on "Youtube". The link is posted in a thread here. Checking "Never Read" while true did not accurately reflect my feelings on the subject matter. Remember after a King signing I yelled "Go Yankee's" to Stephens' car and he heard me and was none too pleased. Ask, RF!!!

Boston Sucks!!!

:YYY::YYY::YYY::YYY::YYY::YYY:

Iwritecode
04-24-2014, 06:07 AM

Well, I'm a Cubs fan. The American League doesn't even show up on my radar screen. I'm sure I could enjoy the book as a baseball fan, though. But if he extols the virtues of the Designated Hitter, I'm out!

With year-round inter-league play I expect the DH to be adopted by all MLB teams within the next 10 years. It’s literally the only thing that separates the AL from the NL and it doesn’t make sense to have different rules for different teams.

If a manager still wants his pitcher to go to the plate and flail away 3 or 4 times a game and possibly risk injury while running the bases that’s fine. I’d much rather watch a professional hitter take those AB’s.

This is just embarrassing to even watch. (http://thebiglead.com/2014/04/19/bartolo-colon-swung-so-hard-his-helmet-flew-off/)

divemaster
04-24-2014, 08:43 AM
But just 3 days ago, Travis Wood, pitcher for the Cubs, hit a 3-run homer and a run-scoring double to account for 4 of the Cubs' 5 runs in a win. There are other pitchers that can hit also. I say let 'em swing away.

Iwritecode
04-25-2014, 07:30 AM
But just 3 days ago, Travis Wood, pitcher for the Cubs, hit a 3-run homer and a run-scoring double to account for 4 of the Cubs' 5 runs in a win. There are other pitchers that can hit also. I say let 'em swing away.

That’s a very rare exception with a sample size of 1 game. His career batting average is .185, career ops of .202. Career ops+ of 45, slg of .344 and career oWAR of 1.3

Overall, the worst hitting DH is going to put up better #’s than the best hitting pitcher. So let the pitchers pitch and let the hitters hit.

divemaster
04-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Overall, the worst hitting DH is going to put up better #’s than the best hitting pitcher. So let the pitchers pitch and let the hitters hit.

Oh, no doubt, no doubt. But this does not bother me as a fan. I like the strategies necessary on both sides as the bottom of the order approaches. Pitch selection; how to face the 8-hitter, stuff like that. Even baserunning. You don't want to make the third out trying to steal with the pitcher at the plate, lest he has to lead off the next inning. That, in turn, might mean less of a lead at first, making a play at second (or even home) even a foot's worth of difference...etc, etc.

With the pitcher--do you bunt? Or swing away? Double switch?

2-0 game; 7th inning; your pitcher is cruising along (only gave up 2 earned runs in the first). What's more important? Letting him bat with 2 on to keep him on the mound? Or pitch hit for late-inning offense? I love seeing managers have to make such decisions.

Maybe I'm biased b/c the Cubs have had a slew of very good-hitting pitchers over the years.

Again, I agree most hitters suck at the plate. But I like that aspect of the game.

dnemec
04-25-2014, 07:52 AM
I used to play softball and found it incredibly boring. I find baseball incredibly boring as well, for the most part. Although there were those few years that Roger Clemens played for the Yankees when I watched every inning he pitched....

Otherwise, bored, bored, bored. I probably won't ever read this book. Even after I've read every book I ever care to read, EVER, I'd rather reread all of King's other books.

And for the record, when I choose to be bored, I am a Yankees fan.

Jean
04-25-2014, 08:01 AM
is there very much baseball in the book? does one have to understand the rules or (God forbid) to be a fan to read it?

Jean
04-25-2014, 08:08 AM
is there very much baseball in the book? does one have to understand the rules or (God forbid) to be a fan to read it?
oh shit, I posted in the wrong thread! my question was about Blockade Billy.

divemaster
04-25-2014, 08:09 AM
I already answered it in the other thread!

Jean
04-25-2014, 08:10 AM
yes, I have already seen! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html)

Iwritecode
04-25-2014, 08:10 AM

I haven’t read it yet either, but I imagine that since you didn’t like Head Down, you probably won’t like this book either. I assume they are pretty similar.

WeDealInLead
04-25-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't like King's non-fiction to begin with. I guess I would like King writing about baseball even less.

I'd rather read Margaret Atwood write about curling (if she was into it.)

mae
04-30-2014, 05:45 AM

YES!!!

YES!!

It is true I have not, nor ever will read this book. I have touched it once, with surgical gloves on, for the purposes of burning it, which I filmed and placed on "Youtube". The link is posted in a thread here. Checking "Never Read" while true did not accurately reflect my feelings on the subject matter. Remember after a King signing I yelled "Go Yankee's" to Stephens' car and he heard me and was none too pleased. Ask, RF!!!

Boston Sucks!!!

In the final calculations, I'll be omitting the zero. I don't believe anyone will mind.

mae
04-30-2014, 06:23 AM
The poll has closed. Faithful has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.375000000 or 67.50%. It received a rating of NR with 18 votes.

Merlin1958
04-30-2014, 04:37 PM

YES!!!

YES!!

Boston Sucks!!!

In the final calculations, I'll be omitting the zero. I don't believe anyone will mind.

Oh, I surely will, but I fully understand. Think I made my point? :wtf::YYY: