PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #6: The Dark Half (1989)

mae
04-04-2014, 05:39 AM
The Dark Half, 1989
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/The_Dark_Half_face.jpg

Please vote for The Dark Half (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Half) using the following scale:

Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

divemaster
04-04-2014, 06:28 AM
I only read it once. I recall thinking the first half of the book or so was really intriguing but then it sortof went downhill. I voted 3. If I read it again, that might bump it up a notch. (Or down, I guess).

webstar1000
04-04-2014, 06:36 AM
I only read it once. I recall thinking the first half of the book or so was really intriguing but then it sortof went downhill. I voted 3. If I read it again, that might bump it up a notch. (Or down, I guess).

LOL Are you really a King fan Divemaster? So far Misery is the only I have noticed you loved. I mean I did not love all his work but for the most part... 90% of it.

frik
04-04-2014, 06:39 AM
I really liked it: 4.5 .

sk

divemaster
04-04-2014, 06:47 AM

LOL Are you really a King fan Divemaster? So far Misery is the only I have noticed you loved. I mean I did not love all his work but for the most part... 90% of it.

Not true at all! (And I realize you're just busting my balls a bit and that's fine.) It's just that I do see gradations. Not every book I liked is automatically a 5. There are some 3 and 3.5 pretty good books. If I give a book either a 4.5 or a 5 you can rest assured that vote represents a lot of love for the book. If you want to see my ranking of King's entire output (I don't want to spoil my future votes!), there is a thread dedicated to that discussion. But to recap what we've voted on so far, the following I consider to be "Top Shelf" King.

Christine
Danse Macabre
Dead Zone, The
Different Seasons
Firestarter
Misery
Night Shift
Roadwork
'Salem's Lot
Shining, The
Stand, The
Waste Lands, The

I'm pretty sure most of these got either 4.5 or 5 stars from me. Possibly a 4 star or two in there. But if the only one you noted was Misery, I think you need to pay better attention!

(Just checked--you can also add The Long Walk and The Running Man as 4.5 votes from me.)

Jean
04-04-2014, 07:00 AM

webstar1000
04-04-2014, 07:04 AM

Not true at all! (And I realize you're just busting my balls a bit and that's fine.) It's just that I do see gradations. Not every book I liked is automatically a 5. There are some 3 and 3.5 pretty good books. If I give a book either a 4.5 or a 5 you can rest assured that vote represents a lot of love for the book. If you want to see my ranking of King's entire output (I don't want to spoil my future votes!), there is a thread dedicated to that discussion. But to recap what we've voted on so far, the following I consider to be "Top Shelf" King.

Christine
Danse Macabre
Dead Zone, The
Different Seasons
Firestarter
Misery
Night Shift
Roadwork
'Salem's Lot
Shining, The
Stand, The
Waste Lands, The

I'm pretty sure most of these got either 4.5 or 5 stars from me. Possibly a 4 star or two in there. But if the only one you noted was Misery, I think you need to pay better attention!

(Just checked--you can also add The Long Walk and The Running Man as 4.5 votes from me.)

I am just teasing you brother. It was just a joke from the first book (Talisman I think) that I loved and you did not. No harm intended:)

Jean
04-04-2014, 07:10 AM
every time bears see Roadwork on a Tops list it fills their hearts with joy

Iwritecode
04-04-2014, 07:24 AM

I think this is the only book that I actually liked less the second time I read it.

Girlystevedave
04-04-2014, 07:49 AM

Although it's been years since I read it, and don't recall every detail about the book, I do remember enjoying it a lot.
But, a 4 means that I didn't enjoy it enough to re-read over the years like some of the other King works that I rated as a 5.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-04-2014, 12:31 PM
3.5, Above average. Not top 10 material.

Heather19
04-07-2014, 07:02 AM
I ended up voting 3.5. I really enjoyed it, but there's so many more that I like more.

divemaster
04-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Christine
Danse Macabre
Dead Zone, The
Different Seasons
Firestarter
Misery
Night Shift
Roadwork
'Salem's Lot
Shining, The
Stand, The
Waste Lands, The

I just took a sneak peek at the 5 books listed for Bracket 7. You are sure to be disappointed at my ratings for some of those!

Andrew Campbell
04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
The Dark Half is a 4 for me. A very good read, and re-read, with a tight plot and not a lot of filler. As a side note: I was quite disappointed with Romero's treatment of the book. Timothy Hutton? Really? As I read the novel, I could only think of Gary Busey as the quintessential George Stark.

mae
04-11-2014, 05:43 AM
The poll has closed. The Dark Half has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.782608696 or 75.65%. It received a rating of 4 with 7 votes.