PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Omnibus?

wahlers
03-18-2014, 05:48 AM
Anybody have any more information about this yet?

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Gunslinger-Omnibus-Slipcase/dp/0785188703/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395149867&sr=1-1&keywords=marvel+omnibus

Bev Vincent
03-18-2014, 05:59 AM
Similar info here: https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/none/dark-tower/9780785188704/

stroppygoblin
03-18-2014, 07:35 AM
How is this different to the previous Marvel DT Omnibus?

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Omnibus-Stephen-King/dp/0785155414

frik
03-18-2014, 08:34 AM
This is the previous/original DT Omnibus - from 2011.
Don't know if there is a re-print.

sk

Dan
03-18-2014, 08:44 AM
They have different ISBN numbers and release dates. If I had a guess, it includes the remaining series for a complete Omnibus. The former Omnibus doesn't include everything.

frik
03-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Ah - just learned something new.
Thanks!

sk

wahlers
03-18-2014, 10:41 AM

The previous omnibus is for the first series of 30 issues mostly drawn by Jae Lee. They were all titled "The Dark Tower" (with secondary titles for each mini-series/storyline).

This appears to be an omnibus for the second series of 30 issues which were titled "The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger" (also with secondary titles for each mini-series/storyline).

If the info on the two links is correct please also note that the page counts are different too. This one is shorter, which makes since because there were no guidebooks for this set.

Dan
03-18-2014, 10:48 AM

The previous omnibus is for the first series of 30 issues mostly drawn by Jae Lee. They were all titled "The Dark Tower" (with secondary titles for each mini-series/storyline).

This appears to be an omnibus for the second series of 30 issues which were titled "The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger" (also with secondary titles for each mini-series/storyline).

If the info on the two links is correct please also note that the page counts are different too. This one is shorter, which makes since because there were no guidebooks for this set.

Thanks! That makes more sense.

stroppygoblin
03-18-2014, 10:57 AM
That's good news, I would hate it to have been the original with a few extra editions.
I'm much more likely to buy this now.

wahlers
03-25-2014, 02:55 AM
From Marvel's June 2014 Solicitations:

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER OMNIBUS SLIPCASE HC

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
Penciled by SEAN PHILLIPS, LUKE ROSS, MICHAEL LARK, LAURENCE CAMPBELL, ALEX MALEEV & RICHARD ISANOVE
Cover by RICHARD ISANOVE

Stephen King’s epic has riveted readers for decades. Now, Roland Deschain’s early adventures are revealed! Last of the Gunslingers, Roland searches for the mysterious Dark Tower — the one place where he can set right the out-of-synch Mid-World. As Roland trails the sorcerous Man in Black, he will confront the Little Sisters of Eluria, encounter the desolate town of Tull, rescue the powerful Sheemie and meet the mysterious Jake Chambers in a tale of fantasy, horror, revenge and betrayal from the masterful mind of Stephen King! Plus: a companion volume packed with fascinating bonus material and apocrypha! Collecting DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER — THE JOURNEY BEGINS #1-5, THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA #1-5, THE BATTLE OF TULL #1-5, THE WAY STATION #1-5, THE MAN IN BLACK #1-5, SHEEMIE’S TALE #1-2, EVIL GROUND #1-2, and SO FELL LORD PERTH #1.

732 PGS & 352 PGS./Parental AdvisorySLC …$150.00
ISBN: 978-0-7851-8870-4
Trim size: oversized

Pics of Slipcase and Book & Companion covers at: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51566 (just search for "Dark Tower", it's a ways down)

Ari_Racing
04-01-2014, 11:29 AM
FINALLY!

skyofcrack
04-01-2014, 04:23 PM
They also just announced The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three from Marvel.

Here's the Omnibus cover:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/DARKTWRGOMNI-slipcase-5ad88.jpg

herbertwest
06-22-2014, 05:39 AM
From Marvel's June 2014 Solicitations:

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER OMNIBUS SLIPCASE HC

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
Penciled by SEAN PHILLIPS, LUKE ROSS, MICHAEL LARK, LAURENCE CAMPBELL, ALEX MALEEV & RICHARD ISANOVE
Cover by RICHARD ISANOVE

Stephen King’s epic has riveted readers for decades. Now, Roland Deschain’s early adventures are revealed! Last of the Gunslingers, Roland searches for the mysterious Dark Tower — the one place where he can set right the out-of-synch Mid-World. As Roland trails the sorcerous Man in Black, he will confront the Little Sisters of Eluria, encounter the desolate town of Tull, rescue the powerful Sheemie and meet the mysterious Jake Chambers in a tale of fantasy, horror, revenge and betrayal from the masterful mind of Stephen King! Plus: a companion volume packed with fascinating bonus material and apocrypha! Collecting DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER — THE JOURNEY BEGINS #1-5, THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA #1-5, THE BATTLE OF TULL #1-5, THE WAY STATION #1-5, THE MAN IN BLACK #1-5, SHEEMIE’S TALE #1-2, EVIL GROUND #1-2, and SO FELL LORD PERTH #1.

732 PGS & 352 PGS./Parental AdvisorySLC …$150.00
ISBN: 978-0-7851-8870-4
Trim size: oversized

Pics of Slipcase and Book & Companion covers at: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51566 (just search for "Dark Tower", it's a ways down)

Being released in september.

>>>> amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Gunslinger-Omnibus-Slipcase/dp/0785188703/ref=sr_1_1&tag=csk21-20)

AstroDad
01-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Ugh, as someone who doesn't read comics/graphic novels, but is a King collector and wants to get these sets...I am so confused by all of these. Looking at Ebay auctions, etc I can't keep heads or tails of these. The all seems so similar to each other and it seems like there is more than one series going on. I'm probably being dense, but I need a ELI5 website that walks me through it.

WeDealInLead
01-25-2015, 02:27 PM
I posted all the comics in chronological order in the classifieds section. That should help you figure out what's what. The only books I didn't post in chronological order are one-shots and specials. Those are all grouped together and could be read any time.

I was going to sell them all for a cheap price just to get rid of them. I had priced the whole lot at $1.50 or so each. After looking at sold auctions on eBay, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Two issues that make up Sheemie's Tale recently sold for $19.99. The first arc (The Gunslinger Born) with regular covers sells for at least $15 and my set is the more rare variants in unread condition. Hmm.

WeDealInLead
01-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Worth a mention is that if you get the omnibus everything is in chronological order and the only thing missing is The Drawing of the Three which actually just ended.

The downside of the omnibus is how crummy it looks on the shelf, especially considering it's Marvel and they have the $.

Merlin1958
01-25-2015, 07:35 PM
Oh, I don't know. I collected the comics up through the "Jericho Hill" arc and have a few really "special items". However once they went into uncharted territory I lost interest, but the art is really cool. I figured i would hold onto them until he passes and see what the market does. The art is really quite captivating IMHO I have a few "Special Editions" and variants that I will hold onto, for my Grandson I suppose.

Bev Vincent
01-26-2015, 03:40 AM
The thing I dislike about the omnibus editions is that they omit all of the back matter, including Robin Furth's essays, which are -- to me -- highly valuable.

Aztecface
02-12-2015, 01:25 PM
The thing I dislike about the omnibus editions is that they omit all of the back matter, including Robin Furth's essays, which are -- to me -- highly valuable.

Bev, are you certain? I have been under the impression that the Omnibuses included everything that were in the previous collections.

Bev Vincent
02-12-2015, 01:27 PM
The previous collections didn't have Robin's essays in them, either. At least not the ones I've seen.

Aztecface
02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
The previous collections didn't have Robin's essays in them, either. At least not the ones I've seen.

Where were the essays published?

Aztecface
02-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Bev, I think I might know the reason for that. Robin is having a new book published soon. Well at least it would seem to be so. Here's the link: http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/furth02
I probably shouldn't have posted that link. Something tells me that it will be "out of stock" rather quickly.

Bev Vincent
02-12-2015, 01:43 PM

At the end of each of the individual issues -- I cover them at length in The Dark Tower Companion.

Aztecface
02-12-2015, 01:54 PM

At the end of each of the individual issues -- I cover them at length in The Dark Tower Companion.

So they were in the individual issues but in none of the collected hardcovers. Interesting. Oh well... I suppose one can't have everything. I see that your own books are hard to find in HC for an affordable price. Thank You for taking the time to answer my questions so quickly.

Bev Vincent
02-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Neither of my two companions were issued as hardcovers -- they were trade paperback originals. Both are available as limited editions from CD (the second one forthcoming). The Stephen King Illustrated Companion -- that was has been reprinted a few times, so there's a chance it might come back into print for a reasonable price if B&N decides to order another printing.

Aztecface
02-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Neither of my two companions were issued as hardcovers -- they were trade paperback originals. Both are available as limited editions from CD (the second one forthcoming). The Stephen King Illustrated Companion -- that was has been reprinted a few times, so there's a chance it might come back into print for a reasonable price if B&N decides to order another printing.

Bev, Thank You. You have been very helpful.

Merlin1958
02-12-2015, 05:56 PM

Bev, Thank You. You have been very helpful.

He has his moments!!!

J/K, Bev you're the best!!!

mattgreenbean
01-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Marvel Knights motion comics are pretty fun. What's the possibility of a motion comic of The Dark Tower? Would anyone besides me even be interested in seeing that happen?

wahlers
02-24-2016, 02:44 PM
The omnibus sets include all the essays, articles, and sketchbook material gathered together in the companion volume included in each set.

SolomonsGal
05-28-2016, 07:06 PM
I haven't read the comics and am interested in reading them. I am NOT into comics, but I am into reading more before the Man in Black...

Where should I start? Should I just get the Omnibus edition? I don't care about resell value, or rarity of the individual comics, ALTHOUGH I do like author essays at the end of a story. I feel like this is valuable to me as a reader.

So- where would I begin looking for these comics individually?
Should I buy the Omnibus first, read it and collect as I can....

Are the originals really hard to come across?

Thanks for your help!

Dan
05-29-2016, 06:31 AM
Watch eBay and local used book stores. If you just want to read them the omnibus or graphic novels are the way to go. You can usually find good deals on the paperback graphic novels on eBay. Remember there are two omnibus sets. They have different content. If you get the individual comics you will probably end up paying more money, but they can be bought fairly cheap if you keep looking around. None are especially valuable.

Br!an
05-29-2016, 06:44 AM
Also watch the classified thread. Someone posted about selling the whole set of comics a couple of weeks ago.

Brian861
05-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Watch eBay and local used book stores. If you just want to read them the omnibus or graphic novels are the way to go. You can usually find good deals on the paperback graphic novels on eBay. Remember there are two omnibus sets. They have different content. If you get the individual comics you will probably end up paying more money, but they can be bought fairly cheap if you keep looking around. None are especially valuable.

I agree with Dan. I'm not much for comics and graphic novels but these Omnibus are very well done IMO and it's DT related. I also have The Stand omnibus which is really cool. I purchased all three from a dealer in NJ via ABE for $75 a piece late last year or early this year.

cit74
05-29-2016, 09:58 PM
instocktrades.com has them both for $82.50 each. But follow Amazon or eBay too - I grabbed them both for about $55 each earlier this year - forget exactly where but they were on sale.

Brian861
05-30-2016, 11:35 PM
instocktrades.com has them both for $82.50 each. But follow Amazon or eBay too - I grabbed them both for about $55 each earlier this year - forget exactly where but they were on sale.

Sweet deal.