PDA

View Full Version : Resurrection TV SHOW

webstar1000
03-11-2014, 03:34 AM
This had great reviews and I checked it out. I really liked it a lot. Any one else give this a go and enjoyed the show? It really gave me the "Lost" vibe... can't wait till next week and where they will take this...

ICry4Oy
03-11-2014, 08:07 AM
I liked it! Isn't it an English remake of some French show called "The Returned"?

ELazansky
03-11-2014, 09:21 AM
I read the book by Jason Mott that the series is based on called The Returned and have the first episode on my DVR to watch this week. I really enjoyed the book and hope the series lives up to it.

mattgreenbean
03-11-2014, 10:22 AM
I read the book by Jason Mott that the series is based on called The Returned and have the first episode on my DVR to watch this week. I really enjoyed the book and hope the series lives up to it.

Well, we all know how that goes. The book is always better.

webstar1000
03-12-2014, 03:20 AM
The show is not based on The Returned. They are very different. I did like it however. I also caught Believe last night... you guys see that? I really liked that too!

ELazansky
03-12-2014, 05:00 AM
The show is not based on The Returned. They are very different. I did like it however. I also caught Believe last night... you guys see that? I really liked that too!

Of course it is:

"Resurrection is an American fantasy drama television series about dead people who return to life. The series is based on the book The Returned by Jason Mott."

He even mentioned it on his website last year:

"Behold, the official trailer for RESURRECTION, the forthcoming ABC television show based off of The Returned!"

The main characters in the book are Harold, Lucille, and Jacob Hargrave and agent Martin Bellamy
The main characters in the TV show are Henry, Lucille, and Jacob Langston and agent J. Martin Bellamy

That's not a coincidence

webstar1000
03-12-2014, 05:43 AM
Sorry , my bad. I should have been more clear... I read it was not based on the show... I did not read if it was or was not based on the book. Sorry. They said the only things that the shows had in common (with the show Returned) was people coming back from the dead.... but thanks for the heads up:)

ICry4Oy
03-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Okay then, loosely based. Same concept, idea, etc. Just different people, characters, stories...

Ben Staad
03-12-2014, 09:28 AM
I forgot to record this and based on your comment about a "Lost" vibe I will probably pass. I was sucked into the whole Twin Peaks thing a billion years ago and just really don't enjoy those type of drawn out and confusing mysteries anymore.

This had great reviews and I checked it out. I really liked it a lot. Any one else give this a go and enjoyed the show? It really gave me the "Lost" vibe... can't wait till next week and where they will take this...

webstar1000
03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
I forgot to record this and based on your comment about a "Lost" vibe I will probably pass. I was sucked into the whole Twin Peaks thing a billion years ago and just really don't enjoy those type of drawn out and confusing mysteries anymore.

I agree... if they would just end those mystery like shows on a high note... instead of tying to suck the life out of the ratings... I am all about 2nd chances though:) well 100th chances I should say. lol

Ben Staad
03-12-2014, 09:39 AM
LOL. In regards to TV there are very few second chances with me.

I agree... if they would just end those mystery like shows on a high note... instead of tying to suck the life out of the ratings... I am all about 2nd chances though:) well 100th chances I should say. lol

Merlin1958
03-12-2014, 04:20 PM

I'm with you regarding both shows.

webstar1000
03-13-2014, 08:53 AM

Merlin, lets just hope they do not ruin a potentially good thing!

Merlin1958
03-13-2014, 03:44 PM

Merlin, lets just hope they do not ruin a potentially good thing!

Or cancel the damn show before it's intended ending!! I had promised myself to stay away from getting invested in new shows given the rate with which they walk away from them (Alcatraz, anyone?). However, this one seems to have some pedigree. We shall see.

webstar1000
03-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Soooooooo true!

Still Servant
03-13-2014, 05:59 PM
I enjoyed the pilot. Should be interesting to see where they go from here. If the show does well, they are going to run into the same problems other shows like it have run into and that is the inability to keep the narrative fresh and interesting for multiple seasons.

Also, this show doesn't come close to Lost.

Merlin1958
03-13-2014, 06:24 PM
I enjoyed the pilot. Should be interesting to see where they go from here. If the show does well, they are going to run into the same problems other shows like it have run into and that is the inability to keep the narrative fresh and interesting for multiple seasons.

"Lost" was a thoroughly disappointing hodge podge in the end. IMHO A gleaming example of what could have been so great and ultimately failed miserably. IMHO

Still Servant
03-13-2014, 06:32 PM

"Lost" was a thoroughly disappointing hodge podge in the end. IMHO A gleaming example of what could have been so great and ultimately failed miserably. IMHO

Completely disagree. People focused too much on the answers and forgot to enjoy the journey. As fans of Stephen King's Dark Tower series, you'd think we'd understand that more than most.

Merlin1958
03-13-2014, 06:45 PM

Completely disagree. People focused too much on the answers and forgot to enjoy the journey. As fans of Stephen King's Dark Tower series, you'd think we'd understand that more than most.

So sorry, but bullshit. What's a mystery without a solution/reveal? I really respect your opinions in most cases, but these guys were smoking dope in the conference room and making it up as they went along. IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1PAB6Sgdp8

Please, do not get me started on "Lost". Agree to disagree. I can see you are one of those "It's the journey" guys who never analyzed anything and just went with it. That's cool for you. I do not adhere to that philosophy. It was about "Answers" or at least should have been. What a colossal "butt-fucking" they accomplished with that show!!!

Bev Vincent
03-14-2014, 02:02 AM
What's a mystery without a solution/reveal?

The Colorado Kid, or From a Buick 8. I'm with Still Servant on this one -- I had no issues at all with the ending of Lost.

And of course they were making it up as they went along -- that's how most TV shows work. Read any show runner's commentary about how the writer's room works and you'll see that!

webstar1000
03-14-2014, 03:32 AM
Sorry Merlin... with the others on Lost... I LOVED IT and it will go down as my favorite show of all time. I relish the day when I am in my 50's or 60's (37 now) and pull out the disks and get to watch it again and hopefully forget what I seen back then. There were moments during that show when I was on my feet completely BLOWN away!!! I can remember shacking with excitement and counting the days to a new episode. I remember that being the best TV I have ever watched. I would have paid week to week to see that show... and it was free! ... and the ending, well it worked for me. I liked it and to all the others that were expecting more... what were you expecting? Every scenario had been discussed over those 7 years or so... thus nothing could have been of a "shock" value. One thing I did enjoy watching years later were some deleted scenes... if you have not seen them and get the chance... watch them. It planned the polar bears, Walt, how the food was getting to the island and where it was coming from... very cool to say the least:)

Merlin1958
03-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Agree to disagree.

Still Servant
03-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Here's the thing, I have friends who watched every single episode of Lost. They are intelligent people whose taste in film and TV exceeds the mainstream norm. That being said, when I talked to them about the finale, I can't tell you how many responded, "WHAT THE FUCK, THEY WERE ALL IN PURGATORY!! THE CREATORS SAID IN SEASON 1 THAT THEY WOULDN'T BE IN PURGATORY AND THEN THEY PUT THEM IN PURGATORY GAHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

This is where I usually to this...:rolleyes:...then I try to explain it to them and they do this...:nope:...which makes me do this...:pullhair:...then this...:cry:

I'm not saying this was your reaction after the finale aired, you may or may not have understood what they were going for in the final season. I'm not sure. Until I know for sure, it's kind of hard to debate.

I will say this, going back and watching the final 2 seasons, the narrative is surprisingly coherent and tight. I think the problem many people had with Lost was not the fact that they didn't answer every question, but the fact that they didn't like the answers they got.

I can empathize with you, Merlin. I know a lot of people that felt cheated by Lost. I urge you to go back and watch some of those seasons though. What they did on that show is nothing short of phenomenal for network TV. We will never see it again.

Merlin1958
03-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Here's the thing, I have friends who watched every single episode of Lost. They are intelligent people whose taste in film and TV exceeds the mainstream norm. That being said, when I talked to them about the finale, I can't tell you how many responded, "WHAT THE FUCK, THEY WERE ALL IN PURGATORY!! THE CREATORS SAID IN SEASON 1 THAT THEY WOULDN'T BE IN PURGATORY AND THEN THEY PUT THEM IN PURGATORY GAHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

This is where I usually to this...:rolleyes:...then I try to explain it to them and they do this...:nope:...which makes me do this...:pullhair:...then this...:cry:

I'm not saying this was your reaction after the finale aired, you may or may not have understood what they were going for in the final season. I'm not sure. Until I know for sure, it's kind of hard to debate.

I will say this, going back and watching the final 2 seasons, the narrative is surprisingly coherent and tight. I think the problem many people had with Lost was not the fact that they didn't answer every question, but the fact that they didn't like the answers they got.

I can empathize with you, Merlin. I know a lot of people that felt cheated by Lost. I urge you to go back and watch some of those seasons though. What they did on that show is nothing short of phenomenal for network TV. We will never see it again.

I really do not want to derail this thread anymore. I agree with you on one level, it was the best show on TV while the mysteries were still in the balance. Some of the answers were a little lame, but that was okay. It's when you start to realize that they were just covering their tracks and there was no clear path to the storyline it got tedious. And yes, the purgatory thing was lame in that they swore that was not it. I know the party line, it's the journey not the .....blah, blah but yes I felt cheated. How can you throw so many mysterious plotlines into a show and then not resolve them, even if with a lame solution? It was a blatant "Fuck You" to the audience IMHO. Why did the "Cabin" move? What was up with what's her name the supposed "Time Cop". There are a 100 more questions/mysteries they never resolved.

Bottom line, as to why I am so "Anti-Lost" is that I was so "Pro-Lost" know what I mean? They had the most amazing show ever on television and they totally did a "Hollywood" with it. Such a shame. Abrams, had a vision, Cuse and Lindeloff just dropped the ball and went with the success as long as they could sustain it. They presented a powerful finale, but it was a magicians trick. "Look over here and be amazed" Pay no attention to that other stuff (or the man behind the curtain). JMHO of course and it will never change. I was a member on the "Lost" forums. There's two schools of thought. Those that "wasted 6 years of my life" and those that enjoyed the journey, the twain shall never meet. Wanna buy my DVD's? LOL

Edit: FWIW, initially I had major issues with the ending to TDT. I eventually got over them and learned to accept it, even to understand that it was really the only way he could go with it. It reminds me of "Lost" in many ways though I am now quite comfortable with the ending of TDT. Not so with "Lost". They stung us along, promising resolutions and in the end gave us a parlor trick. A slick one, no doubt, but still a magic trick. In any case, we should get back on topic. If you want to debate further maybe we should move to another thread. I do not want to incur, RFs' wrath!! LOL

Still Servant
03-14-2014, 05:49 PM
There's been one episode of the show. People are being brought back to life. There's probably some kind of supernatural reasoning behind it. I'm not sure there's a whole lot more to be said at this point. But we can get back to topic.

I will just add this final Lost comment. I want to make it clear that people realize that the entire show didn't take place in purgatory, it was just the end part in the final season.