PDA

View Full Version : Why is this your least favorite of the series?

Wuducynn
01-11-2008, 04:53 PM
So many list this as their least favorite of the series and I love it a lot. So I was wondering why so many list this as their least favorite of the series?

sarah
01-11-2008, 05:14 PM
personally, I loved all the books. I just loved the other books more. I remember reading SoS and when it was finished I sat there and cried. I loved it and I was so excited for book seven. But just because I loved the other books more, doesn't mean I didn't love Song of Susannah.

Wuducynn
01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
personally, I loved all the books. I just loved the other books more. I remember reading SoS and when it was finished I sat there and cried. I loved it and I was so excited for book seven. But just because I loved the other books more, doesn't mean I didn't love Song of Susannah.

Same here, I love them all. But I'm asking why you list it as your least favorite.

sarah
01-11-2008, 05:24 PM
well what I was trying to say is that it just falls into the least favorite because I loved the other ones more. not that there was really anything wrong with sos. it is just how it is. All the books left their mark on me. The imprint of sos just isn't as dark.

Now, this month I'm rereading books 5-7. I may change my mind after a fresh read.

Wuducynn
01-11-2008, 05:56 PM
The imprint of sos just isn't as dark.

Now, this month I'm rereading books 5-7. I may change my mind after a fresh read.

Hmmm, maybe then you'll be either have a different feeling or could describe why the imprint wasn't as dark..I like that analogy by the way.

Jean
01-11-2008, 11:30 PM
thank you for this thread AllHail! I've been curious, too.

(SoS is my second favorite, directly after Wolves, in the same slot with Drawing and TWL)

Letti
01-12-2008, 12:41 AM
personally, I loved all the books. I just loved the other books more.

The same here.
And maybe I will sound silly but I think it's my least favourite because in this book the ka-tet wasn't together.Yeah, shoot me now. It's just a feeling but I guess this book couldn't get so damn close to my heart the ka-tet was torn into parts it wasn't the same.
Just a guess.
I will keep on thinking about it.

Jean
01-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I don't know why you thought anyone would be willing to shoot you... but I see your point about the ka-tet not being together. That's the reason why my two least favorites are The Gunslinger (no ka-tet at all), W&G (the wrong ka-tet), and (although I love that one a lot better than those two) DT7.
but SoS, for me, to a great extent consists of ka-tet wanting to reunite... those ties that bind them have, as I feel it, never been so strong as now that the ka-tet was apart and struggling to get back together. That's one of the reasons I love that book; it is, in this respect, very much like The Waste Land or The Drawing; it is kinda re-Drawing.

Letti
01-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Yeah, it's a good book, no question. :)

Wuducynn
01-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Tower Junkies I've asked this question to invariably give me the answer that goes something like this "It's my least favorite because it focuses so heavily on Susannah who is my least favorite character in the Ka-tet of 19".
I just find it interesting how this book is usually at the bottom of most folks list yet it is SO fast paced, even more so than Drawing of the Three in my opinion, and yet the one thing it seems like a lot of folk complain of his "slowness" in books.
So, I'm surprised that The Gunslinger isn't last on most folks list due to the fact that it is the slowest of them all except for portions of Wizard and Glass. So I'm thinking there is something about Song of Susannah beyond its pace that makes it most Tower Junkies least favorite.

TerribleT
01-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Tower Junkies I've asked this question to invariably give me the answer that goes something like this "It's my least favorite because it focuses so heavily on Susannah who is my least favorite character in the Ka-tet of 19".

That's at least part of my reasoning, also I just didn't like the book. I didn't like the stories in it. I loved the story of Roland taking on Cort, I loved the story of Roland and Susan, I loved the story of Roland going into Eddies mind, and the Story of him throwing Jack Mort in front of the train. I loved the story of some old dudetrying to get the pretty young girl through some sort of underhanded means, and the young gunslinger fucking up his plans, and the plans of the bad guys. I just didn't really care for the stories in SoS as much.

Letti
01-12-2008, 05:27 AM
I could give an answer, couldn't I AllHail?

Wuducynn
01-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Of course Letti, thats what this thread is for afterall, and I won't shoot you even.

sarah
01-12-2008, 08:15 AM
The imprint of sos just isn't as dark.

Hmmm, maybe then you'll be either have a different feeling or could describe why the imprint wasn't as dark..I like that analogy by the way.

ok. I'm really looking forward this reread. It has been ages since I've read the last three books.

All-Hail, for me it is really difficult to put these books in order in the first place. I've done it. I've said The Wastelands is my favorite. I've put lists together and said this book over that book. But you know what? It never feels right. Why does there even have to be an order? Why do you have to love one book more than the other? These books are apart of me, do I have to pick one over the other?

Letti
01-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Of course Letti, thats what this thread is for afterall, and I won't shoot you even.

Oh...

great! :D

Wuducynn
01-12-2008, 09:39 AM
All-Hail, for me it is really difficult to put these books in order in the first place. Same here. You can see my very honest and painfully thought out, order in that thread too.

Why does there even have to be an order? Why do you have to love one book more than the other? These books are apart of me, do I have to pick one over the other?

There doesn't have to be at all. Lots of Tower Junkies just list the whole series as their favorite book. But I've noticed that those who are able to list
their favorites in order, invariably list SOS at the bottom and thats what I was wondering about. :orely:

cozener
01-12-2008, 09:49 AM
In my case I think its because I disliked Susanah's character. The only time I found her fun to read was when she was Detta. Otherwise, I found her anywhere from boring to tedious.

obscurejude
01-12-2008, 09:58 AM
For me, the urgent tone to SoS makes it a distinctly transitional book in the series. The other DT books stand better alone as distinct entities in and of themselves. SoS basically sets the stage for the final novel. Its not the type of book I would read on its own, but only in the service of preparing myself for the final chapter of the series. Susannah is my least favorite character as well (but probably not to the extent of Cozener).

Jean
01-12-2008, 11:02 AM
yes, yes, Susannah! my favorite from the ka-tet! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

jayson
01-12-2008, 12:00 PM
For me, the urgent tone to SoS makes it a distinctly transitional book in the series. The other DT books stand better alone as distinct entities in and of themselves. SoS basically sets the stage for the final novel. Its not the type of book I would read on its own, but only in the service of preparing myself for the final chapter of the series. Susannah is my least favorite character as well (but probably not to the extent of Cozener).

Good point Jude. It makes a decent re-read because it is so fast-pace, but it's near impossible to not read #7 next because it just leaves you hanging there. I do still enjoy it if only for the wealth of metaphysical stuff that gets explained in there [particularly Mia's explanation of things arising from the Prim]. It doesn't stand alone well, certainly not as books like W&G and Wolves do as almost self-contained entities.

Wuducynn
01-13-2008, 09:59 AM

Good point Jude. It makes a decent re-read because it is so fast-pace, but it's near impossible to not read #7 next because it just leaves you hanging there. I do still enjoy it if only for the wealth of metaphysical stuff that gets explained in there [particularly Mia's explanation of things arising from the Prim]. It doesn't stand alone well, certainly not as books like W&G and Wolves do as almost self-contained entities.

Just admit it guys, you hate Susannah's character because she's black.

jayson
01-13-2008, 10:00 AM

:lol: It's actually one of the few things I do like about Susannah.

Wuducynn
01-13-2008, 10:02 AM
:lol:

cozener
01-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I hate her because she's crippled, crazy, AND black. See! Thats 3 strikes right there! She's struck out before she ever gets up to bat!

Letti
01-14-2008, 11:22 PM
It must be hard sometimes to read the series if you hate any of the characters... I hardly ever hate a character. Usually I like them all and I have favourites.

Dud-a-chum?
01-15-2008, 12:27 AM
I personally love this book because it feels so much like book 2, and since book 2 was when the story REALLY got started, with Eddie and Susannah being introduced, and everything, I dunno, I guess it just felt like I was seeing an old friend again after a long time away somewhere else. Plus, I loved the whole Mafia aspect coming backl around, as well as more Calvin Tower stuff. And oh yeah, let's not forget Eddie's revelation that he was existing in a parallel world, not the keystone one.

I too am very perplexed as to why alot of people seem to dislike it so. The only real tedious part of the story is the whole Dogan bullshit, which I could have done without, but since that's noly one third of the story being told in the book, I can overlook that aspect of it. And I'll tell ya what: of all the crap King pulled in the last three books, the stuff he did with the "Writer" chapters was actually something I found rather cool. I still remember when I got to that point, and I was tickled pink! Haha, awesome stuff!

cozener
01-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Well...hate is a strong word. I just found her a bit much at times. I would have been happier if she had been in a wheelchair OR crazy. Both, I thought, was tedious. And it seemed like so many of the ka-tet's problems were because of her or centered around her. So I came to dislike the character.

PedroPáramo
01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Personally SoS is my favorite. I liked the art and all the book. I loved the story of Mordred and Mia, and the tree lines, and I love all the book!

Wuducynn
01-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Cool, Rose. Join us over in the Love for SOS thread...this is for discussion on why some folk list it as their least favorite.

Mike Beck
01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
i know i'm, uh...not supposed to be here. but....... i just wanted to say....

SONG OF SUSANNAH RULES!!! WOOH!!!

*runs out of the room with victory arms raised above his head*

HA HA, SUCKERS!

Wuducynn
01-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Mike is the ultimate rebel..just watch him go..

TerribleT
01-28-2008, 05:11 PM
i know i'm, uh...not supposed to be here. but....... i just wanted to say....

SONG OF SUSANNAH RULES!!! WOOH!!!

*runs out of the room with victory arms raised above his head*

HA HA, SUCKERS!

LMFAO Mike, you're killin me here man. :rofl:

sarah
02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Ok All_Hail, I finally finished my reread of Song of Susannah and I realized why this doesn't make the top of the list.

I have always like the character of Odetta/Detta = Susannah. The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands are two of my all time favorite books. I think the main reason for SOS being at the bottom of my list is Mia. I found myself bored or not really caring about the Susannah/Mia parts. Sure there are some interesting tidbits of information that Mia gives Susannah about the history and whatnot. But all the rest of their interaction, I just found myself skimming or trying to rush though it so I could get back to Roland and Eddie. Plus another big annoyance, is that Jake and Callahan and Oy don't really come into play until around page 300.

Do I hate this book? No.

I just don't find myself obsessed with it the way I do with the others.

....and now off to The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower.

Wuducynn
02-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Ok All_Hail, I finally finished my reread of Song of Susannah and I realized why this doesn't make the top of the list.

I have always like the character of Odetta/Detta = Susannah. The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands are two of my all time favorite books. I think the main reason for SOS being at the bottom of my list is Mia. I found myself bored or not really caring about the Susannah/Mia parts. Sure there are some interesting tidbits of information that Mia gives Susannah about the history and whatnot. But all the rest of their interaction, I just found myself skimming or trying to rush though it so I could get back to Roland and Eddie. Plus another big annoyance, is that Jake and Callahan and Oy don't really come into play until around page 300.

Do I hate this book? No.

I just don't find myself obsessed with it the way I do with the others.

....and now off to The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower.

Alright. I understand your views. One thing I don't understand was why you didn't just post this in the thread I made?

sarah
02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
yeah, I guess you're right. I'll move it.

JQ The Gunslinger
04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Im still reading SoS so i dont kno the whole story, but I do kno enough of it. I never been a huge fan of Sushanna in the first place. I like her when shes in the zone/pissed but otherwise she can be a bit,boring

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Okay, but this thread is about those who consider Song of Susannah their least favorite of the series and why, not the character specifically.

MonteGss
04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Ok. This book isn't my least favorite but it is second to last on my list so I will give my thoughts.

The stories are good, I like them. I love the Roland/Eddie parts and the very small Jake/Faddah parts. It's Mia. She's so stupid! The stories she had to tell, while informative, were not interesting to me. Also, the best parts of the series, for me, is when the tet is together...working together, talking together...being together. When they are apart, it wasn't as fun for me. This whole book was about them being apart. I get it, I do, it fits and makes sense story-wise but I didn't like it. The ka-tet is what I really love about the series which is the main reason that this book and the crapfest Wizard & Glass are at the bottom of my list.

I love my friends the tet of the 90 and 9. :D

Letti
04-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Interesting. Altought it's my least favourite of the series I liked Mia's stories. She had been in the story for so long it was good to know who the blue hell she was at last.

Jean
04-30-2008, 11:02 PM
I didn't like Mia's stories, and the whole Discordia Castle thing, because of the same reasons as the reasons why I generally dislike fantasy; those episodes just confirmed my opinion that when an author tries to be true to fantasy as a genre, he immediately forgets how to write entertaining, plausible, re-readable text. It's the only disappointing part in SoS for me, though, and not very big, while The Gunslinger, for example, is all like that.

that's the reason, by the way, why I never take part in any conversation regarding the ontology of that world (prim etc) - that part bored me to tears, and I never went too deep into it

Brice
05-01-2008, 05:09 AM
I am sorry Jean, but you are just gonna' have to start loving The Gunslinger.

Wuducynn
05-01-2008, 05:35 AM
I didn't like Mia's stories, and the whole Discordia Castle thing, because of the same reasons as the reasons why I generally dislike fantasy; those episodes just confirmed my opinion that when an author tries to be true to fantasy as a genre, he immediately forgets how to write entertaining, plausible, re-readable text. It's the only disappointing part in SoS for me, though, and not very big, while The Gunslinger, for example, is all like that.

that's the reason, by the way, why I never take part in any conversation regarding the ontology of that world (prim etc) - that part bored me to tears, and I never went too deep into it

Interesting. I totally don't agree of course, but an interesting opinion nontheless. I thought SOS was your favorite of the series. Or are you just discussing your least liked part of the book?

Jean
05-01-2008, 05:47 AM
as I said, the talks with Mia at Discordia Castle was the only really disappointing part of that book, which I otherwise love a lot

Wuducynn
05-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Damn, you're right, I guess I need to stop the whole "ignoring everything except the first few words in Jean's posts" thing...

:P

MonteGss
05-01-2008, 02:31 PM
I agree, maybe you should pay more attention you bastard. :)
Jean's favorite book is WOLVES, just like mine. :thumbsup:

damiano
07-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi folks,

Just found this place in the middle of what is likely my 10th reread.

Going by this thread I doubt that anyone will agree with me, but I disliked this book because IMO it really didn't go anywhere. I recall when I first read it after running home with it the day it hit the shelves and anxiously awaiting the next chapter. We were left with the cliffhanger from WOTC, Susan was due to pop with a demon child within seconds, preparations are made to go after her...

411 pages later she has a demon kid.

I know time is funny, but for the most part this book seemed to take a long time to tell very little story, in contrast to the rest of the series. It also seemed like a detour. For me, I started reading this series with the Gunslinger 18 or 19 years before SOS was published. Each book stood on it's own but also added a lot to the series. SOS seemed more like a bridge at best; or at worst it was only written because King had promised 7 books to us and his publisher and really could have been settled in about 10-15 pages either at the end of WOTC or the beginning of DT.

Letti
07-12-2008, 03:00 AM
Damn great to have you here, damiano.
10th reread? That's something. Welcome to the DT junkie club. :)

Anyway there is a lot in what you say but for my part I don't mind at all if things happen really slowly in a book. Moreover. My favourite is when nothing happens but I can know all the tiny details and there are tons of threads in the story.
I would be interested in which your favourite book is.

damiano
07-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I like them all equally, other than SOS. If I had to pick a favorite, then I'll say that I've always had a soft spot for Wizard and Glass. Some people have criticized it for similar reasons that I do with SoS (not much progress in the overall story, etc.), but I thought it was a tremendous story that really added a lot to the series.

Jean
07-12-2008, 09:54 AM
<...>
Going by this thread I doubt that anyone will agree with me, but I disliked this book because IMO it really didn't go anywhere.

<...> the most part this book seemed to take a long time to tell very little story, in contrast to the rest of the series.
That's one of the reasons why I liked it so much.

Matt
07-12-2008, 10:00 AM
I like them all equally, other than SOS. If I had to pick a favorite, then I'll say that I've always had a soft spot for Wizard and Glass. Some people have criticized it for similar reasons that I do with SoS (not much progress in the overall story, etc.), but I thought it was a tremendous story that really added a lot to the series.

I totally agree on that point daminao, I felt like the back story in W&G was important to the story.

SoS just seemed to languish a bit in explanation.

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 06:03 PM
can i post totally off-topic and say it's not my least favorite in the series any more? w&g is now. thank you, that is all.

Letti
07-14-2008, 10:44 AM
can i post totally off-topic and say it's not my least favorite in the series any more? w&g is now. thank you, that is all.

I have asked you about it in a WaG thread. I am waiting for your answer eagerly. ;)

The Lady of Shadows
07-14-2008, 06:48 PM

I have asked you about it in a WaG thread. I am waiting for your answer eagerly. ;)

done and done. say thankya for your interest. :)

Wuducynn
07-15-2008, 10:07 AM

Can you? You did.

stone, rose, unfound door
07-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I really don't get it. Song of Susannah is actually one of my two favourites with The Wastelands. In both books, the action never stops and you just don't get bored, so I thought maybe it was due to the fact that people don't seem to like Susannah as much as they do the other characters. I'm sure that's because she's more temperate, although she has some... mental problems. But everytime I start the series again, I really look forward to it because it's just such a brilliant book!

Jean
07-24-2008, 09:42 PM
very well said, rose! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Wuducynn
07-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't get it either, Rose. It seems like a lot of folk don't like it because of the big part of the book being dedicated to Susannah and Mia. Susannah being most folk's least favorite of Roland's ka-tet. I don't get the reason for that either.

theBeamisHome
07-25-2008, 12:37 PM
this is peoples' least favorite??? :scared:

what IS this place?

*runs to the love SoS thread*

07-31-2008, 02:06 PM
*runs to the love SoS thread*

I don't even think there's any... we're a real minority, you know :cry:

fernandito
07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
SoS does have a thread, and here it is! :D

Love For Song. (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=435&page=3&highlight=love)

JQ The Gunslinger
07-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Susannah song is my least favorite because i really dont like Susannah. Shes annoying to me and can be really winey. Deff a downer. Now if this book wud of been called Song Of Eddie it wud prolly be my fav lol

jayson
07-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Now if this book wud of been called Song Of Eddie it wud prolly be my fav lol

So in that version would Mordred have been born out of Eddie's ass or am I reading too much into it? :evil:

Empath of the White
07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Its the Mordred plotline. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either...and a lot of the book dealt with the spider-babe's conception. It was all the behind-the-scenes material that didn't sit well with me. I liked the explanation of the Prim though. That and the morbid reception awaiting at the Dixie Pig, plus the showdown at the gas station were enough to keep me from completely hating it. Of all the books, this one bounces around my list more so than any of the others.

King appearing as a character just felt odd as well the first time I read the book. I knew it was coming, but it was still just too different. However, when writing, the writer must write for himself/herself first and foremost. I can totally understand why King wrote himself as a character though.

Wuducynn
08-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Its the Mordred plotline. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either...and a lot of the book dealt with the spider-babe's conception. It was all the behind-the-scenes material that didn't sit well with me. I liked the explanation of the Prim though. That and the morbid reception awaiting at the Dixie Pig, plus the showdown at the gas station were enough to keep me from completely hating it. Of all the books, this one bounces around my list more so than any of the others.

King appearing as a character just felt odd as well the first time I read the book. I knew it was coming, but it was still just too different. However, when writing, the writer must write for himself/herself first and foremost. I can totally understand why King wrote himself as a character though.

Watch, a couple of more reads through the series and it will be your favorite. :rock:

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-01-2008, 08:05 PM
it confused the hell out me, plain and simple.

Letti
08-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Could you be a bit more elaborate on it?

MonteGss
08-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Now if this book wud of been called Song Of Eddie it wud prolly be my fav lol

So in that version would Mordred have been born out of Eddie's ass or am I reading too much into it? :evil:

:rofl:

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-02-2008, 03:26 PM

Could you be a bit more elaborate on it?

well, i feel as though the rest of the books were a bit more, i dunno, straight-forward? all the time traveling to this when and that where, and meeting this person who knows how to get back to the original where, ect ect, just really had my head spinning. Not to mention the business of her and Mia, when she was THREE different people again...i found it hard to follow which was who, and when, and where. i had to re-read a lot of it, but yea...it was just the most confusing book to me. my favorite is Wolves of the Calla

SpanishDiablo
08-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Song of Sussanah is in my opinion a transition book, the one relating most of the tribulations of the divided ka-tet, but concluding none of them. It's a way of tying Wolves with the final book, in my opinion.
That's my least favourite also, while I didn't like a lot the early part of the tale in Mejis... I in fact left the series for a year at that point, when my exams came.
Anyway, remember the series is a creation as a whole, which can't really be separated... I'd really love a 1-book compilation...

theBeamisHome
08-18-2008, 11:36 AM
how long would that book be? 4,000 pages or so? :beat:

Tatts4Life
08-18-2008, 12:01 PM
People are gonna hate me for saying this but " Wizard and Glass" was my least favorite. The reason being was by the time I got to that book the comic part of that series came out so I made the mistake of starting to read that before i finished the book. So the book seemed to take me a lot longer to read then any of the others. If I had read the book before i read the comics i probably would have liked it better.

theBeamisHome
08-18-2008, 12:05 PM
no one is gonna hate you for that... well i won't it was my least favorite too! :highfive:

08-18-2008, 03:54 PM
People are gonna hate me for saying this but " Wizard and Glass" was my least favorite. The reason being was by the time I got to that book the comic part of that series came out so I made the mistake of starting to read that before i finished the book. So the book seemed to take me a lot longer to read then any of the others. If I had read the book before i read the comics i probably would have liked it better.

no one is gonna hate you for that... well i won't it was my least favorite too! :highfive:

Throw rocks at you :) How can you least prefer a book in which the funniest, wittiest, cutest character appears as a main one??

Wuducynn
08-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Throw rocks at you :) How can you least prefer a book in which the funniest, wittiest, cutest character appears as a main one??

Maybe because Cuthbert isn't as important an character for her as he is for you?

08-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Maybe because Cuthbert isn't as important an character for her as he is for you?

Sure. I just wanted to remind her that, that's all :)

theBeamisHome
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
:lol: i was actually wondering who you were talking about... yeah Bert was cool i guess, but i just didn't like W&G. i could've done without a huge book containing Roland's backstory, but that's just me. I guess it was good for the reintroduction of Sheemie later, but besides that... *shrug*

Woofer
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I adore Cuthbert. He's one of my absolute favorite characters in the series. And I hate W&G.

BTW, all you other W&G haters: don't feel bad. There are far more of us out here than you think. Just follow the light of reap fire to our gathering.

Jean
08-22-2008, 12:23 PM
don't feel bad.
we don't http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

Woofer
08-22-2008, 01:18 PM
don't feel bad.
we don't http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

Hehe. I know you don't :huglove:, but I was trying to offer support to others who are newer, like Tatts4Life. Srsly. We don't bite. Friends, anyway. http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/eviljester.gif

Wuducynn
08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
We don't bite.

Oh I do.

Woofer
08-22-2008, 05:11 PM
We don't bite.

Oh I do.

Yes but you like this book. I meant those of us who band together to sing of our dislike are the ones who don't bite. Each other, anyway. I kind of pity anyone who agitates me in RL right now because I am one very angry wolf. Okay, I lie. I am TWO very angry wolves.

08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I adore Cuthbert. He's one of my absolute favorite characters in the series.

I'm so happy to see someone else having him as their favourite ever character :)

RandoofGilead
09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
I had Song of Susannah as my least favorite. To be honest, there really isn't a good answer as to why. None I can really consider not good. I loved them all. And as the series went on, it seemed the better the books got.

I've thought about this now and have an answer but not one that satisfies me right now so I will give it more thought.

I think this was further down my list because maybe I had more of a fascination of the ka-tet as it was forming in the prior books. Each character was being introduced and you didn't know what would happen. Where the trust was not quite there but yet all of them were together trying to figure it all out...Maybe it was because the ka-tet was NOT together as a whole? Maybe it was the impatience I had for all of them to get back together and move on together for Ka is a wheel. :)

I liked the struggle between the characters as they were all still learning to be ka-tet. I think by this book, the doubts had been erased and there were on their quest.

I'm starting over again and will have see what resolution I can find the 2nd time around.

Letti
09-28-2008, 12:47 PM
I had Song of Susannah as my least favorite. To be honest, there really isn't a good answer as to why. None I can really consider not good. I loved them all. And as the series went on, it seemed the better the books got.

I've thought about this now and have an answer but not one that satisfies me right now so I will give it more thought.

I think this was further down my list because maybe I had more of a fascination of the ka-tet as it was forming in the prior books. Each character was being introduced and you didn't know what would happen. Where the trust was not quite there but yet all of them were together trying to figure it all out...Maybe it was because the ka-tet was NOT together as a whole? Maybe it was the impatience I had for all of them to get back together and move on together for Ka is a wheel. :)

I liked the struggle between the characters as they were all still learning to be ka-tet. I think by this book, the doubts had been erased and there were on their quest.

I'm starting over again and will have see what resolution I can find the 2nd time around.

It's my least favourite as well (however I love it as it is but still the others are a tiny bit closer to my heart) and soon I will reread and I am really curious if I like it better this time.

The Lady of Shadows
09-29-2008, 02:52 PM
be careful letti. remember what happened on my last reread? all the books got flipped around so drastically. i really think it depends on your frame of mind and place in life when you're reading them. that really determines where the books sit in your heart and mind.

of course, i could just be high. :orely:

Letti
09-29-2008, 09:45 PM
be careful letti. remember what happened on my last reread? all the books got flipped around so drastically. i really think it depends on your frame of mind and place in life when you're reading them. that really determines where the books sit in your heart and mind.

of course, i could just be high. :orely:

I do remember.
We will see. I really cannot wait to restart it but there are so many other books as well I would like to read.
Anyway usually when I reread a book I get to love it even more. I was surprised, too that I can love W&G as much as I did as a 13-year-old kid. Of course I changed my mind about lots of things but the feeling is still strong if not stronger. I love it.
I hope SoS will find a more comfortable place in my heart after the rereading.

Wuducynn
11-09-2008, 07:26 AM
It's my least favourite as well (however I love it as it is but still the others are a tiny bit closer to my heart) and soon I will reread and I am really curious if I like it better this time.

Have you finished this re-read of the series and is SOS still at the bottom for you?

flaggwalkstheline
11-09-2008, 07:53 AM
SOS (heh im sure sai king made the initials like that on purpose, sos lol) is my least favorite because unlike most of the other books its plotline isnt somewhat self contained, all the other other books have a feeling that they r episodic in nature, but sos, while a very good read, feels to be a sort of bridge between WOC and DT7, thats why its my least favorite

Letti
11-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Have you finished this re-read of the series and is SOS still at the bottom for you?

I have just finished it and I do love it. I love it even more... I must think about this question.

Ste Letto
11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
As I've said elsewhere W+G was my least favourite, but after that it's SoS.

01) This is not because of Susannah herself, as I actually enjoyed the multiple complexities of this character.
02) It is because of Mia, whose 1 dimensional and profoundly irritating insistence was hugely annoying.
03) Mia was such an obvious plot device to force matters along that the lack of subtlety alienated me.
04) SoS was a bridge as others have said, a scene setter for Dark Tower.
05) Mia spoiled the end of WotC and my irritation with her persisted into SoS.
06) I loved the conversation on Castle Discordia.
07) I had no interest in Mia's backstory whatsoever.

Wuducynn
11-22-2008, 09:05 AM
You're not alone with your dislike of Mia (I loved her character), but I don't understand what you feel made her an "obvious plot device to force matters along"?

Letti
11-22-2008, 09:15 AM
As I've said elsewhere W+G was my least favourite, but after that it's SoS.

01) This is not because of Susannah herself, as I actually enjoyed the multiple complexities of this character.
02) It is because of Mia, whose 1 dimensional and profoundly irritating insistence was hugely annoying.
03) Mia was such an obvious plot device to force matters along that the lack of subtlety alienated me.
04) SoS was a bridge as others have said, a scene setter for Dark Tower.
05) Mia spoiled the end of WotC and my irritation with her persisted into SoS.
06) I loved the conversation on Castle Discordia.
07) I had no interest in Mia's backstory whatsoever.

So we can say that you are not satisfied with some (or many?) DT books?

droland
12-31-2008, 04:27 AM
this is my least favorite of the series. in fact, i have a hard time getting through it. i didn't have a hard time getting through it the first time i read it because of the rivetting story of susannah and Mia but the second time i knew what was coming. stephen king himself.

i love the story and i placed it in a special place above all other stephen king works but when i have an almost constant reminder that the story is just a story it really dampens it for me. i fairly annoyed with this constant reminder. since i'm too tired to put it in any better sense i'll just say, if this book wasn't a part of the dark tower series i would never have read it again.

Ste Letto
02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi Letti,

So we can say that you are not satisfied with some (or many?) DT books?

Yeah, although I never really thought about that until I started posting here.

Taken as a whole, I enjoyed the DT series.
However, as I've said elsewhere I invested a lot of myself into it.
Reasonably or unreasonably I began to have expectations, demands if you will about how things would develop.

At the very least I wanted things to develop in a way that entertained and made sense to me.

I didn't want to see the Deus ex Machina.

Mia was a plot device, a 1 dimensional character who forced the plot to sidetrack so that Susannah and therefore baby Mordred, would find themselves in the Dixie Pig.

When SK develops a plot that unfolds naturally, it does not feel forced. This felt forced.

To specifically answer your question about being satisfied with books in the series.

I loved the Gunslinger. I loved the character of the man, the metaphysical stuff and the oddness.
I disliked DOtT, because it broke away from the mould of Gunslinger.
I like TWL because I accepted that we were in a new game now, and the characters of Eddie and Susannah grew on me. The evocation of River Crossing etc was also very cool.
I disliked W+G because I was not interested in Roland's lost love, also the whole Wizard of Oz thing seemed forced.
I loved WotC because it got everything right. It was my favourite in the series by a mile.
I disliked SoS as I say.
I loved TDT, all of it, start to finish, although I had an image for a different ending, it has grown on me.

I hope that answers your question Letti:)

Whidden
02-23-2009, 01:54 PM
For me, SOS was my least favorite. When I re-read the series, I have started skipping it altogether. I think it flows real nicely from Wolves over into Dark Tower 7.

I don't hate the book, it had some good parts in it, like the "God bomb". I found that stuff hilarious. And Roland and Eddie's fight at the gas station. To me it's like a bad Star Trek episode. There is no bad Star Trek, cause even bad Star Trek is good Star Trek.

I think instead of skipping next re-read, I'm going to sit down and just edit out the parts I have trouble with. Use a black marker and write myself notes on which chapters to skip and which to read.

Why I don't love the book:

1. Just a little too much legalese for me. The rose is on Calvin's lot. He is in financial trouble. Yada yada yada, we gotta set up a corp to take care of this mess. We gotta get him to sign. I guess it's all part of the plot that Calvin is an ass, but I started getting cranky feelings to-wards the guy. Plus, I didn't really see the point of all the corp stuff, why did the powers of darkness have to own the lot to destroy it, why not just send in some goons to take out the rose.

I understand it was protected a little by supernatural forces, but why would owning the lot all of a sudden make it possible for them to take out the rose?

I never really got that part, but even if I did, I was emerged in Roland's world, robots and gunslingers and tower and crazy backward Calla speak, the book brought us back to New York with quasi normal people, and it made me feel uprooted.

2. King inserting himself in the book.
Well, I think he did a good job of doing it, it made sense, it flowed well, I almost believed it. But almost and 100% are not the same thing. Though skilled beyond belief with word-slinger power, when you insert yourself in the book, it just makes it hard to stay on message.

They say schizophrenics have trouble telling the difference between make believe and reality. I'm not a skitzo, but like most people who like movies and books, I immerse myself in the story, and before long it's like it's really happening to real people. Not that I believe there is a tower, but I allow myself to think it's true as I'm reading.

King putting himself in, that kept bringing me out of the story. I kept having thoughts about why he was doing it, or the guy is writing about himself right now, what's he thinking?!?!?!

3. All the keystone earth stuff, and there are no do-overs. I didn't understand the concept. Why this world was so different from the rest. I found it kind of a downer.

4. Susanna and Mia. I don't really relate to either one of them.

Letti
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I think instead of skipping next re-read, I'm going to sit down and just edit out the parts I have trouble with. Use a black marker and write myself notes on which chapters to skip and which to read.

Sounds like a nightmare.

Whidden
02-23-2009, 03:31 PM

Sounds like a nightmare.

It'd only be a nightmare if I ever sold it to some poor sap in a yard sale. They'd probably hate my guts! :scared:

I'll sequester the book, make sure it never goes public.

(I bought a book like that once, some Nimrod had done some edits, I was like What the?!?!!?)

EdwardDean1999
02-23-2009, 07:22 PM

That sounds a bit drastic, so I am assuming you are being facetious in that post. In which case... :rofl:

To take that literally, how sad. :cry:

:)I suppose you'd go through Dickens, Dostoevsky, Austin, Twain, or Kafka with the sharpie whenever you encountered a character with whom you didn't directly identify such as Mia/Sussanah? So you must be kidding.

This reminds me of the Episode I fan edit that eliminated Jar Jar completely from the film.

Why this one just isn't my favorite is this. In the the general arc of Dark Tower 1-7 it reads like a "Comma" and not a "Song". I felt it was a lot of plot-building for the conclusion of the series. The "Song" of Susannah felt like a crescendo on an unresolved chord ("O, Discordia"). But maybe that's what SK wanted. I like everything that happens in it, sometimes I just think the end book cover could have fallen about 150 pages into DT 7.

So I have a very nit-picky reason for not liking it the most. An opinion which doesn't even seem that sound to me. It was in fact the fastest read for me. So I can't say it wasn't a page-turner. But I tell you, I wanted more resolution such as katet togetherness. That's what I was turning the pages for. The end. The resolution. I guess I'm one of those who...

DT 7 Coda Spoiler
"still get the lovemaking all confused with the paltry squirt that comes to end the lovemaking." Ah... one of the best narrative lines in the series! I think I just had a "paltry squirt" upon quoting that.

Jon
02-23-2009, 10:50 PM
W&G just didn't do it for me. SoS wasn't really that bad. I wonder if all the waiting did not affect my point of view. I read The Gunslinger in 1983 and I just wonder how all the stopping and starting affected me.

I just wonder how all the stopping and starting affected me.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I loved W and G. Favorite of the series.

chris777
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
First, I'm in the middle of Book7...not quite finished with the series yet. I didn't read everyones comment, but from my own perspective. I was kind of annoyed with how SK inserted himself, how he called himself a GOD. The songs, and explinations of different books. Basically the non-fiction stuff he was trying to portray so it felt somewhat 'real'. Also felt like SK just kept refering to how good of a writer he is. I skimmed thru a lot of parts =/ Didn't do that in any other book. And i never got that choked up feelign of sad or awesome that I got in most the other ones. Most notibly Book4, wizard, when Alain gets behind Big Coffing hunter, then Roland gets behind Jonas. That got me choked up. And also when SHEEMIE comes back in book 7!

pixiedark76
04-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Susannah is my most favorite of all the Ka-tet. (Actually the Detta Walker part of her personality is the best.) I love that she is black and crazy. I think that Detta is tougher and has more balls than Roland himself. I think that even Roland is scared of Detta.

flaggwalkstheline
04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
First, I'm in the middle of Book7...not quite finished with the series yet. I didn't read everyones comment, but from my own perspective. I was kind of annoyed with how SK inserted himself, how he called himself a GOD. The songs, and explinations of different books. Basically the non-fiction stuff he was trying to portray so it felt somewhat 'real'. Also felt like SK just kept refering to how good of a writer he is. SHEEMIE comes back in book 7!

by the end hes changed that from how much of a good writer he to how much of a dickhead writer he is

it rocks:rock:

Lowmen45
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I HATE MIA< I HATE THAT CHARACTER!!!. I hate her, "The Chaps hunger" :my chap, my chap, my chap, bla bla bla, god, I frigging hate her, and Calvin Tower, I wish eddie blew his brains out. Ah, sorry bout that, just had to let it out, some irratating moments in book 6. I love this book, like the others, but this is the weakest link so far. Its just so annoying having that multiple personalities situation back again. And as far as Calvin, jesus christ, die. lol. :cool::shoot::cool:

Brice
12-18-2009, 07:30 PM
So...ummm....what do you think about Mia? How about Calvin Tower? :unsure:

candy
12-19-2009, 04:14 AM
:rofl:dont hold back there Lowmen, tell us what you really think:evil:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-19-2009, 04:36 AM
Wow, you guys beat me to the post, as I too was unclear as to Sai Lowmen's true feelings. haha.

Yeah, according to our polls, SoS is the least popular installment. Though, there are a few members who claim it as their favorite.

We love them anyway.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-19-2009, 05:04 AM
Lowmen45, I agree 100% with you, and then some!

Lowmen45
12-19-2009, 02:06 PM
:panic: Thank ye sai.

The only other book in the series I was getting annoyed listening too the audio version was book 4, with its constant references to roland kissing, the love this, the kissing that, her hair was this, her mouth was that. Roland even tells eddie "Love is borring", and he nails that fact hard. Its okay to describe it twice or three times, but twenty gets old fast. I loved Wizard and Glass, but was getting that same annoyed felling during some parts. Stephen can backtrack , and ramble abit sometimes "comme commme comalla" ring a bell, *shakes head* jesus, I hate to say this, but damm that was unnecessary, and stupid. ^Every chapter in book six, when it ended with the stanza and response, I was shaking my head. This is my first time through the tower series, and after being a king fan for twenty years, I cant believe I waited this long. Im a hudge Rings, Silmarillon, fan, ,this series I like more to my surprise. Book 3, 5, and 7 in this series are my favorites. Cant wait for W.I.T.Keyhole.

candy
12-19-2009, 02:11 PM
i know what you mean about W&G, its not my favourite but a surprising number of people like it? hmm

you'll find different threads for each book - i'm sure you will love the discussions, they are very varied:cowboy:

Matt
12-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Great discussion lowman, welcome to the site. We have a forum for this kind of stuff so don't be surprised if there is a merge. :thumbsup:

Lowmen45
12-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Thank you , all of you. I cant believe, being a big fan of King for so many years, I just recently purchased all the HArdcovers, and all the audio Books. Ive been listen day and night, for a month, and on book seven. Ive always been more than currious about the dark tower, having seen alot of the art, and read little bits of info hear and there. This series just blew my favorite book "The Silmarillon" out of the number 1 spot. But , just like everything, it does have some weaknesses at some points. As stated above, King rambles, and backtracks at uneccessary times, ESPECIAllY in book 6. I really enjoyed Wolves, what a awsome book, def. better I.M.H.O. than the long, over explained Wizard and Glass. Wastelands, Wolves, and DT are my favorites at this point, This last book is just BAMM BAMM BAMM, alot of action so far, and im only about 150 pages in.

Mark
12-19-2009, 04:04 PM
I agree with you Lowmen, King does ramble a bit, i've never really thought about all the description of kissing and such, thanks for pointing that out.

I too definetly think 3,5 and 7 are the best of them all, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

12-19-2009, 04:06 PM
My answer to all of you SoS haters is this http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Langue/langue.gif

candy
12-19-2009, 04:14 PM
My answer to all of you SoS haters is this http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Langue/langue.gif

:wtf: what a come back!

12-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I know I'm pretty tired and I tend to become childish at this time :)
There's a thread for the people who like SoS if you want to understand why it's our favourite.
Love for Song (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=435&highlight=love)

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-20-2009, 05:33 AM
Just to make a clarification, I am not a Stephen King hater, just the opposite in fact. I admire him quite a lot. I also think MOST of his books are great reads. I have read a few of them more then once with great pleasure. But, as Lowmen 45 points out, he does ramble, not a bit, but a LOT, in his later books, repeating the same catch phrases over and over ad nauseam. And for some reason I have trouble with the words he "makes up". They never sit quite right with me. I won't mention which of these words trouble me because I know a lot of the people here really have taken a liking to them!
This probably should be in another thread too, but I most like his books that have a more straightforward storytelling style, like CUJO, FIRESTARTER, MISERY, THE GREEN MILE, THE STAND, etc., as opposed to the ones that constantly loop back upon themselves and have an idiom or a 'saying' every other paragraph (these REALLY tend to annoy me), as in LISEY'S STORY.
And just to slightly contradict what I just said, I loved HEARTS IN ATLANTIS.

Jean
12-20-2009, 05:36 AM
Lisey's Story is a perfect example to illustrate your complaints; I complain about exactly the same.

But, as you pointed out, it's for another thread.

Sam
12-20-2009, 05:53 AM
Jean, I think I'm finally understanding your dislike of Lisey's Story.

Jean
12-20-2009, 08:22 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

I know I promised to post in Lisey's Story thread, and it's long overdue; I swear I will when I have a minute!

Randall Flagg
12-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm sending this to the SoS thread.

Lowmen45
12-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes, it is the simpler straightforward "OLD KING" ; although that was never that straight forward or simple; he did use at lot less reputition. You had to really pay attention, or you would be thrown off the boat easily. His catch phrases dont sit well with me either. Im on book seven now, and theres a point early on, were he even goes as far as to begin speaking to the reader himself, !? breaking character!?, and using "can I get a BIG BIG, , lol. You know what im talking about. ITs not that I hate this, or even dislike it, I just dont prefer it to the older books. It fells rushed, and not as serious when he does this. It also confuses, and takes away from the rush of the story. However, so far, book 7 has been great, except for Flaggs Death *WHY SO EARLY, AND WHY SO EASy.* THIS IS FLAGG, THIS IS THE MAN IN BLACK, FOR MORE THAN 25 YEARS OF STORIES HES HAUNTED, AND ROLANDS ARCH ENEMY* He went out to easy, with no bite as he went down, I wish he would have taken someone with him, hes earned that. IT wasnt right that he should die like that so early in the novel, but oh well. I have a felling he might make another appearance. Back on my point, I really loved book 5, much better than 4, even despite its dialect. This is because it WAS APPROPRIATE in that story because of there environment, the Calla. But to carry that dialect in EXCESS throughout the rest of the stories, was a bad move I.M.H.O.. Its silly. Also, It didnt bother me he was written into the story, that didnt bother me at all. I know alot of people were really worked up about that fact in book 6, but I thought it was kind of cool. He had a small part, and it was funny to me, and interesting. I just dont like how he keeps reminding the reader of shit weve heard 400x before, over and over. EG. She called him Bamma, and cut the crust off his sandwiches. How many times is he gonna to mention this. The worst ramble every, in all the books so far, is the part were jake runs into the Mind Trap, jesus, Ive never heard such a ramble beyound this current post. lol.:cool::nana::clap::dance:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, SK does that "talk directly to the reader" bit on a couple of chapters of Under the Dome also, and I felt like it just totally detracted from the story. With the "Now hear me well, and follow me" narration. I just felt that it was totally out of place, and blew the rhythm of the reading.

Sickrose
12-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Yes, it is the simpler straightforward "OLD KING" ; although that was never that straight forward or simple; he did use at lot less reputition. You had to really pay attention, or you would be thrown off the boat easily. His catch phrases dont sit well with me either. Im on book seven now, and theres a point early on, were he even goes as far as to begin speaking to the reader himself, !? breaking character!?, and using "can I get a BIG BIG, , lol. You know what im talking about. ITs not that I hate this, or even dislike it, I just dont prefer it to the older books. It fells rushed, and not as serious when he does this. It also confuses, and takes away from the rush of the story. However, so far, book 7 has been great, except for Flaggs Death *WHY SO EARLY, AND WHY SO EASy.* THIS IS FLAGG, THIS IS THE MAN IN BLACK, FOR MORE THAN 25 YEARS OF STORIES HES HAUNTED, AND ROLANDS ARCH ENEMY* He went out to easy, with no bite as he went down, I wish he would have taken someone with him, hes earned that. IT wasnt right that he should die like that so early in the novel, but oh well. I have a felling he might make another appearance. Back on my point, I really loved book 5, much better than 4, even despite its dialect. This is because it WAS APPROPRIATE in that story because of there environment, the Calla. But to carry that dialect in EXCESS throughout the rest of the stories, was a bad move I.M.H.O.. Its silly. Also, It didnt bother me he was written into the story, that didnt bother me at all. I know alot of people were really worked up about that fact in book 6, but I thought it was kind of cool. He had a small part, and it was funny to me, and interesting. I just dont like how he keeps reminding the reader of shit weve heard 400x before, over and over. EG. She called him Bamma, and cut the crust off his sandwiches. How many times is he gonna to mention this. The worst ramble every, in all the books so far, is the part were jake runs into the Mind Trap, jesus, Ive never heard such a ramble beyound this current post. lol.:cool::nana::clap::dance: Maybe the repetion was necessary because the time lapse between books was immense. If you are lucky enough to be able to buy them all and read them then you do remember about the crusts etc but if you reag Gunslinger 30 years ago maybe not? I do see what you mean though! That said I agree with you about the commala stanzas - could do without them and I am just reading about Calvin Tower in WOC and he is annoying :)

I think you might have tower overload my friend :)

Brainslinger
12-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Lowmen, could you please use the spoiler tags for the parts of the last book you reference? There are some big spoilers there that not everyone here will have read. (I'm not having a go at you. Without meaning to sound patronising, I understand you're new. Basically, on these book threads you can discuss spoilers from the present and previous books without the tags, but anything later (The Dark Tower) should be tagged.)

I agree concerning the repetition of certain phrases. The Calla speak while quaint to start with got a bit painful rather fast. Especially when all the main characters used it a lot too. I understand they're trying to fit in, but it was way overdone.

I didn't mind the stanzas in this book though. Commalla come dubbish, the rhymes were a bit rubbish, but it fits with the song allegory of a the book. The SONG of Susannah.

ola
12-26-2009, 01:40 PM
With the "Now hear me well, and follow me" narration. I just felt that it was totally out of place, and blew the rhythm of the reading.

There was so much of that in Eyes on the Dragon I wanted to throw the book across the room a couple times.

cozener
12-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I hated Mia too. I was never a big fan of Susannah either...I did like Detta Walker though :evil:

ICry4Oy
12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
"comme commme comalla"

I can't be the only one who read the books and sang that in my head as Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon", can I? :blush:

...it was either that or that fucking Macerana song...

cozener
12-28-2009, 01:07 PM
"comme commme comalla"

I can't be the only one who read the books and sang that in my head as Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon", can I? :blush: Unlikely...but entirely possible...

Charyou Tree
06-05-2010, 08:01 AM
IMO, this book didn't do much to advance the series. If the rumors are true and they really are going to make a movie out of TDT series, this book can be covered in 20 minutes. To me, this book was just blah.

Of course, I hate Susannah, so......

Letti
06-11-2010, 02:11 AM
IMO, this book didn't do much to advance the series. If the rumors are true and they really are going to make a movie out of TDT series, this book can be covered in 20 minutes. To me, this book was just blah.

Of course, I hate Susannah, so......

Wow, why do you hate her?

Jean
06-11-2010, 02:59 AM
many people do, while bears love her

Sickrose
06-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Susannah was never really my fav but I got to kind of like her in this book. Plus I love the whole bit of Jake, Oy and Father Callahan being in New York.

I think it does advance the series because the whole thing with Mia gives more info on the Crimson King and Fedic. Also you have the whole story line with King and explaining Callahan's appearnace.

But each to their own :)

John_and_Yoko
06-11-2010, 08:37 AM
many people do, while bears love her

WHA?!? :scared:

She's not my favorite character, but HATE?! Seriously?!

ChristafanofKing
09-05-2010, 10:25 AM
I just didn't get much impact from it and was left really unsatisfied. I tore straight into Dark Tower VII, I have been thinking on this one a lot lately trying to figure out what I didn't like about it and just can't seem to put my finger on it. I think it just comes down to the fact that most of hte other books could easily stand on there own without a reader needing to read the series in order where this one was more of a "serial novel", you needed to know everything about the backstory to understand anything of this one. It seemed almost like it could have been part of DT7 instead of standing on its own.

Jean
09-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't think any of them stands on its own. I always considered the DT to be one seven-volumes long book.

LadyHitchhiker
09-05-2010, 11:50 AM
This is NOT my least favorite of the series. My least favorite was Wizard of Glass. I didn't like the diversion into Roland's past. I liked to have him left in a shroud of mystery. This would probably be my second least favorite, but not my first.

Not to say that the back story for Roland wasn't good, I just thought the parts about his past should have been made into a different book, and then we keep on with more about their journey in that particular book.

I used to not really like Susannah but she grew on me, and I liked that they did more with her character. She seemed 2-dimensional for a while, but that was partly her disorder. True, she was not as well-rounded a character as Eddie, or Roland, or Oy, but neither was Jake and almost everyone likes Jake!

As for his books, I felt the last four were not as rounded, and were more forced - as has been said before - than the first three. The first three absolutely hands down some of the best books ever, the last 4, well I'm waiting for the revised editions. :D

Delah
09-17-2010, 12:54 PM
This is not my least favorite of the series, either; that honor goes to Wizard and Glass for pretty much the same reason Lady Hitchhiker had. The reason it is my 2nd to least favorite is a lot of the same stuff everyone else has said: Mordred and Mia.

Some parts of this book are written very, very well; the ambush in Maine, the meeting with John Cullum, the entire sequence with Jake and Father Callahan, but the Mia/Mordred issue just dragged. They spend most of their time bickering with each other about going to the Dixie Pig when we've known since book five that that's what their destination is. Susannah is, in my opinion, far too sympathetic and willing to cooperate with this woman who has screwed with her life and almost killed her husband and ka-tet.
I felt no sympathy and little interest in Mia, a whiny, petulant, stupid spirit who fixated on one thing to the exclusion of everything else and damned her self for it. (And yes, I realize that's one of the themes of the series, but I still didn't like her character.

I used to not really like Susannah but she grew on me, and I liked that they did more with her character. She seemed 2-dimensional for a while, but that was partly her disorder. True, she was not as well-rounded a character as Eddie, or Roland, or Oy, but neither was Jake and almost everyone likes Jake!

I find Susannah a very hard character to evaluate because of her multiple personalities. For me, Susannah is a very hard character to understand. I do not dislike her, although she's certainly not my favorite in the books, but I simply dont find her an appealling character and her massive flaws (her snobbishness, her judgemental nature, and her multiple personalities) are simply not enough to balance out her good qualities.

I would disagree that Jake's not a well rounded character. Maybe not as much as Eddie, who admittedly was King's favorite, but we see Jake unfold as a character throughout the books. Certainly, I'd agree that in the Gunslinger Jake is not a well rounded character, partially because It's from Roland's POV and Roland doesn't want to see Jake, period; but in other books we see a lot of layers to Jake. He's neglected, abandoned, smart, lonley, and desperate for someone to love him. Throughout the books we see him fight, run, grieve, suffer and play. (And die, or course). It's through Jake and Roland that we evaluate the themes of parenthood and sacrifice.

I think what might make Jake seem like a less dynamic character than Susannah (or Eddie, or Roland) is that he doesn't have some epic personal/moral struggle to overcome like the others do. Jake doesn't have multiple personalities, he doesn't have a Tower obsession; he's not addicted to Heroin. Jake almost goes nuts in TWL and has to trust Roland again, but those aren't moral failings of Jakes. I guess what I'm saying is Jake in TDT isn't that differerent in personality and morality than Jake in The Gunslinger. He's hardened quite a bit, and he's braver, but he's still calm, professional and thoughtful at his core.

But I'm diverting off topic. To summarize; not my least favorite, definitely not my favorite; too much Mia.

dsimp13
08-29-2011, 07:59 AM
I just found that it's my least favorite because a) just like so many people said, I simply liked the other 6 better; and b) the Mia storyline. I actually loved Jake, Callahan, and Oy in New York; Roland, Eddie, and John Cullum in Maine, plus the whole gunfight...Mia kind of soured me on the book. Maybe my blame isn't on SoS itself but JUST the Mia storyline...we've already had "crazy" Susannah, bringing her back was just rehashing IMO. Plus, I felt the end didn't even live up to the hype! I mean, It just didn't add anything to the story in the big picture, just a bit of backstory/history which I think King could have found other, more meaningful ways to do rather than force the Mia/Susannah storyline.

Don't even get me started on the whole adding himself in his own book part, either =)

Sorry for the rant!

Darkthoughts
08-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Don't even get me started on the whole adding himself in his own book part, either =)
Ha!

Sorry for the rant!
Rant away, that's what the threads for :D

Wuducynn
12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Ah it's good to see that folk after all these years of originally starting this thread are still posting their wrong opinions that they definitely have a right to. If Song of Susannah isn't in your top of the series then you simply don't get The Dark Tower Series and must go and read something more stimulating to a mind-set such as yours like Ronald McDonald stories or Sesame Street....

;-)

Jean
12-23-2011, 12:06 AM
look who's posting...

bears agree with the essense of the post, though...

Letti
12-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Ah it's good to see that folk after all these years of originally starting this thread are still posting their wrong opinions that they definitely have a right to. If Song of Susannah isn't in your top of the series then you simply don't get The Dark Tower Series and must go and read something more stimulating to a mind-set such as yours like Ronald McDonald stories or Sesame Street....

;-)

:( yes master *goes to read Twilight* sniff-sniff

Wuducynn
12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
:emot-flame::FU: <---These new smileys are great. When did you get them? It's almost as if I've been away for years.

Awwwwwwww Letti, it's good you know what your place is.... :couple:

Letti
12-25-2011, 10:29 AM
But of course! :rose:

unclelouie
09-24-2012, 11:45 AM

:lol: It's actually one of the few things I do like about Susannah.

I just started SOS this past weekend. Im about 100 pages in. I am not enjoying it very much, and I am having to force myself to pay attention and not daydream. The whole struggle interal struggle with Mia/Suze isn't very interesting (at least not 400 pages interesting).

Suze is my least favorite. And it's not because she's black, it's because she's a woman...

I kid...

Seriously, she just doesnt DO anything, really. Its like... she's just there for the hell of it.

Id rather read 400 pages about Oy to be honest.