PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Sleep movie set for 2019

Pages : [1] 2

mae
02-19-2014, 07:19 AM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/18/john-cusack-wants-to-star-in-a-movie-version-of-stephen-kings-doctor-sleep/

It’s no secret that John Cusack is a big Stephen King fan, or at least a fan of King’s stories being turned into movies, as he’s already done three adaptations, including the currently filming Cell.

So it’s not a surprise that when asked during a a Reddit AMA (via The Dissolve) about which role he would “accept in a heartbeat,” he answered Doctor Sleep.

Doctor Sleep is the sequel to King’s most iconic novel, The Shining. There’s no film officially planned yet, but it’s probably a matter of time, given how many of King’s works get adapted, and given The Shining’s place in pop culture history and Doctor Sleep’s recent popularity.

Cusack would, given his choice, play the grown up Danny Torrance, who’s still haunted by the year he spent at the Overlook Hotel when he was a boy and who must battle the True Knot, immortal spirits who torture children with psychic abilities – like Danny himself – to sustain their existence. John Cusack as the adult version of Danny Lloyd? Can you see it?

dnemec
02-19-2014, 07:23 AM
I like John Cusack. I could totally see him as a grown-up Danny Torrance! :biggrin:

CyberGhostface
02-19-2014, 01:54 PM
I guess the only question is would you sell it as a sequel to Kubrick's film?

Merlin1958
02-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I can totally see, Cusak as the grown up, Danny.

Mattrick
02-20-2014, 01:38 AM
They are filming Cell? I sure hope Eli Roth isn't attached to it as he was directly, he's a better actor than director.

Bev Vincent
02-20-2014, 03:16 AM
No, Roth has nothing to do with Cell. The director is Tod Williams (Paranormal Activity 2) and the script originated with King with other writers attached.

Bev Vincent
02-20-2014, 08:12 AM
John Cusack has reiterated his interest in filming Stephen King's 'Doctor Sleep,' adding that he would also be keen to adapt the novel for the screen himself.

While Cusack is considerably less prolific as a writer than he is as an actor, he does have some fairly prestigious writing credits to his name, having worked on the screenplays for two of his best loved movies, 'Grosse Pointe Blank' and 'High Fidelity.'

Of course, as 'High Fidelity' is based on the novel by Nick Hornby, Cusack certainly isn't unfamiliar with adapting books for the big screen.

He has also co-written the scripts for 'War Inc.', and the recent US/Argentina co-production 'No Somos Animales.'

Source: http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/john-cusack-comments-again-doctor-sleep-125900762.html

Jon
02-20-2014, 08:26 PM
While not King's best book, if done right, could be King's best movie thus far. I welcome it.

mae
04-01-2016, 08:04 AM
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/doctor-sleep/39620/stephen-king-s-doctor-sleep-heading-to-the-movies

Another Stephen King project has taken a step forward on its journey to the screen, with the news that Akiva Goldsman is set to adapt Doctor Sleep.

Doctor Sleep is King’s sequel to The Shining, taking place many years after the original events at the Overlook Hotel. Goldsman, who’s penned projects as wildly different as Batman & Robin and A Beautiful Mind (the latter winning him an Oscar) is taking on screenwriting duties on Doctor Sleep.

Stephen King is executive producer on the movie, although there’s no word of a director just yet.

Lovejoygirl14
04-01-2016, 08:55 AM
I would be thrown off seeing cusack as Danny especially having said that Danny resembles jaxson teller (Charlie hunnam) from SOA. That being said I'm also a huge hunnam fan. I heard they are also remaking IT and PET SEMETARY

Bev Vincent
04-01-2016, 09:03 AM
I heard they are also remaking IT and PET SEMETARY

In theory, at least. There are lots of projects in various stages of conceptualization. Remains to be seen which ones will actually go into production.

Lovejoygirl14
04-01-2016, 09:06 AM
I just am hoping that if they choose to follow through with any of these remakes that they will do the books and SK some justice. After reading pet semetary I did not like the movie anymore. Same with the shining (I had no idea it would be that far off) . Same with Salems lot. And idk about the stand. It's tarting that book tomorrow,

Brian861
04-01-2016, 09:32 AM

Lord, I hope not! I thought Doctor Sleep was an excellent read. One of my favorites. John could do it justice. A great all around actor IMO.

Jon
04-01-2016, 01:33 PM

Lord, I hope not! I thought Doctor Sleep was an excellent read. One of my favorites. John could do it justice. A great all around actor IMO.

Wow...you two are on a first name basis?

Ari_Racing
04-02-2016, 06:17 AM
Isn't an APril fool's news?

mae
12-28-2017, 08:06 PM
http://uproxx.com/movies/geralds-game-mike-flanagan-the-shining-sequel-stephen-king/

Between the mega-hit IT and the creepy mindf*ck Gerald’s Game, it was a good year of movies for Stephen King fans (if you ignore the baffling adaptation of The Dark Tower). King’s novels are true classics of the suspense and horror genres, but some have been notoriously difficult to translate to the screen, so it feels like a special victory when an adaptation is a success. Mike Flanagan, the director of Gerald’s Game, wants to keep this trend going into the future, and he has his eye on the next story he wants to tackle: Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining.

Flanagan told the Stephen King fan site Lilja’s Library that he wanted to dive back into the world of Danny Torrance, the poor kid traumatized by his father’s descent into madness at the Overlook Hotel.

“[T]he ones I’d want to do the most are Doctor Sleep and Lisey’s Story. In both cases, it’s because I identify with the protagonists so much. Lisey’s Story is a stunning piece of work, a beautiful exploration of marriage. And who wouldn’t want to venture back into the world of Danny Torrance?”

Now, Doctor Sleep isn’t considered on of King’s strongest works, but Flanagan proved that he had a knack for adapting trickier King tales with Gerald’s Game. If it keeps sophisticated horror in cinemas going forward, this seems like a safe bet.

Jon
12-30-2017, 08:55 PM
As a book, Gerald's Game is WAY down my list but the movie, I found, was very well done. I loved Dr. Sleep as a book. I'd love to see it as a movie.

Brian861
12-31-2017, 09:20 PM
As a book, Gerald's Game is WAY down my list but the movie, I found, was very well done. I loved Dr. Sleep as a book. I'd love to see it as a movie.

I did too, Jon in regards to Doctor Sleep. But we're in the minority.

St. Troy
01-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Secrets to a good Dr. Sleep movie:

1) Although DS is a Shining sequel, it doesn’t go out of its way to shout this fact from the rooftops and feels pretty much its own self-contained work - refrain from adding extra Shining elements to highlight the connection (I imagine producers won’t be able to resist this)

2) Especially do not try to tie it to elements specific to the Kubrick Shining (I would regard this as a cinematic sin of the highest order)

3) The magic lies in the novel’s details - handle them faithfully and don’t reduce the story to 90 minutes of a drunk nursing home employee that befriends a child.

Bev Vincent
01-26-2018, 10:24 AM
After the out-sized grosses on the Stephen King novel adaptation It, Warner Bros has put it sequel to King’s The Shining on the fast track. Mike Flanagan has been set to direct Doctor Sleep, an adaptation of the 2013 King novel that picks up the life of the Redrum kid Danny Torrance when he is in his 40s and struggling with the same demons of anger and alcoholism that plagued his father.

Flanagan will rewrite the script originally adapted by Akiva Goldsman. Flanagan’s producing partner Trevor Macy will produce along with Vertigo Entertainment’s Jon Berg, and Goldsman is executive producer.

>>> Source (http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-shining-sequel-doctor-sleep-mike-flanagan-stephen-king-oculus-geralds-game-warner-bros-stanley-kubrick-jack-nicholson-1202270283/)

St. Troy
01-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Flanagan has made some good movies; let's hope this works out.

mae
01-26-2018, 02:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0444hDwxE

Brian861
01-26-2018, 11:19 PM
Looking forward to this. I really enjoyed the novel.

CyberGhostface
01-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Wouldn't mind if Flanagan did The Shining first but this is good news.

Brian861
01-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Wouldn't mind if Flanagan did The Shining first but this is good news.

Good idea.

Cordial Jim
01-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Great news! I loved his adaptation of Gerald's Game. Looking forward to his The Haunting of Hill House Netflix series, too. Love me some Carla Gugino! :)

Lookwhoitis
01-30-2018, 02:50 AM
Akiva Goldsman is a shitbird

mae
05-23-2018, 04:16 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/948103-wb-delays-godzilla-2-six-billion-dollar-man-sets-date-for-doctor-sleep

Warner Bros. has announced some major shifts to their upcoming release schedule as they’ve delayed the adaptation of The Six Billion Dollar Man by a full year, pushed Godzilla: King of Monsters back two months to replace Billion‘s slot, moved up the release of Crazy Rich Asians and officially announced the release of their adaptation of The Shining sequel, Doctor Sleep.

The Six Billion Dollar Man has been in the works for over 20 years now, but now has Mark Wahlberg (Patriots Day) attached to star in the lead role. It’s been a tough few weeks for the adaptation of the hit 70’s sci-fi series, first losing its director at the beginning of the month and now the film has been pushed back a year from May 31, 2019 to June 5, 2020.

Because its release date is considered prime real estate, Warner Bros. has chosen to move its long-awaited sequel to the 2014 adaptation of Godzilla to the empty slot. The next entry in the Monster-verse will now debut May 31, 2019 instead of March 22. Michael Dougherty of Trick ‘r Treat and Krampus directs.

Furthermore, Doctor Sleep, their adaptation of the novel sequel to Stephen King’s The Shining has been set for a January 24, 2020 release date. The film was fast-tracked by Warner Bros. following the success of It with Mike Flanagan set to direct, making it his second King adaptation after the acclaimed Gerald’s Game.

Finally, Crazy Rich Asians’ release date has been bumped up two days from August 17 to August 15. Jon M. Chu directs the adaptation of the worldwide bestseller which stars Constance Wu, Gemma Chan, Lisa Lu, and Awkwafina, with Ken Jeong and Michelle Yeoh.

Merlin1958
05-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Huh, I had heard this was being done as a TV series. Interesting. I really enjoyed the book so I'll be looking forward to it in either medium.

Brian861
05-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Huh, I had heard this was being done as a TV series. Interesting. I really enjoyed the book so I'll be looking forward to it in either medium.

Me too, Bill.

Merlin1958
05-24-2018, 01:28 PM

Me too, Bill.

Great minds, right?

Do you recall where you saw the announcement as a TV series. I remember that it sounded like a better production in that form. Wonder why they decided to go the other way. Seems to me that it would be better on TV and not draw immediate comparisons to the two movies and therefore have a better footing. JMHO

mae
05-24-2018, 01:29 PM
If you look back through the beginning of this thread, it was always intended to be a feature.

Merlin1958
05-24-2018, 01:37 PM
If you look back through the beginning of this thread, it was always intended to be a feature.

Oh, I believe you, dude. Just stuck in my head about the TV series and I can't recall where I saw it or anything. Maybe its just wishful thinking. lol

CyberGhostface
06-13-2018, 01:42 PM
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/ewan-mcgregor-shining-sequel-1202838484/

Ewan McGregor will star as Danny Torrance in Warner Bros.’ adaptation of the Stephen King novel “Dr. Sleep,” the sequel to horror classic “The Shining.”

Sources say King has given his blessing to McGregor’s casting.

St. Troy
06-13-2018, 04:40 PM
As do I.

mae
06-13-2018, 07:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYcOpjvpHY8

Merlin1958
06-14-2018, 07:03 AM
This is great news. The real casting decision, IMHO will be, Rose though, no?

CyberGhostface
06-14-2018, 11:08 AM
I like Ewan but I can't see him as Danny. Someone suggested Hugh Dancy, I think he'd be good.

Maybe Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things) could be Abra?

mae
06-14-2018, 11:30 AM
She's great but maybe a bit too old now? I can't quite remember how old she's in the book.

fernandito
06-14-2018, 01:24 PM
I think McGregor is perfect for the role.

Kongo
06-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Very excited for this, and I think McGregor will knock it out of the park! Whoever said Millie Bobbi Brown from Stranger things for Abra is definitely on to something. Even if they have to age up the character a few years, I can absolutely see it. I wonder who they'll be chasing for Rose the Hat. While reading, I always pictured Eva Green

St. Troy
06-15-2018, 05:46 AM
I wonder who they'll be chasing for Rose the Hat. While reading, I always pictured Eva Green

Eva would work. I always pictured Kat Von D, not that she acts...

Brian861
06-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Very excited for this, and I think McGregor will knock it out of the park! Whoever said Millie Bobbi Brown from Stranger things for Abra is definitely on to something. Even if they have to age up the character a few years, I can absolutely see it. I wonder who they'll be chasing for Rose the Hat. While reading, I always pictured Eva Green

Eva Green would be perfect for that part IMO.

Ivo
06-16-2018, 01:31 PM
It will probably end up being Iris Elba as Danny and Matthew McConaughey as Rose the Hat.😛

CyberGhostface
06-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Seconding (or thirding) that Eva Green would make a great Rose.

Brian861
06-17-2018, 08:02 AM
It will probably end up being Iris Elba as Danny and Matthew McConaughey as Rose the Hat.😛

:wtf:

CyberGhostface
06-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Rebecca Ferguson has been cast.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/rebecca-ferguson-doctor-sleep-the-shining-ewan-mcgregor-1202860618/

Bev Vincent
06-28-2018, 03:09 PM
She’s playing Rose the Hat

Kongo
06-28-2018, 03:21 PM
Interesting casting choice. I'll admit I didn't immediately imagine her as Rose the Hat, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I really liked her character in the book, so I'll be anxious to see how she does

mae
06-28-2018, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRX6EI38cqw

mae
08-01-2018, 03:13 PM
https://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-sleep-cast-zahn-mcclarnon/

Doctor Sleep, the official sequel to Stephen King‘s The Shining which is almost nothing like The Shining, continues to attract a great cast. Zahn McClarnon, who broke out in a big way on the most recent season of Westworld, has come aboard to play villainous character Crow Daddy. In addition to that, Carl Lumbly and Alex Essoe will play Shining characters Dick Halloran and Wendy Torrance.

If you follow my writing here at /Film (and I hope you do!), you know by now that I’m a big Stephen King nerd. And yet, I’m not a fan of his Shining follow-up Doctor Sleep. I could give you a laundry list of reasons why, but I’ll just boil it down to this: it’s bad. Despite that, I can’t help but be excited for the Doctor Sleep movie, which has amassed quite an impressive list of talent.

The latest: Variety reports that Zahn McClarnon, who has appeared on Fargo and give an incredible performance on the most recent season of Westworld, will play Crow Daddy in the film. Crow Daddy is a member of the True Knot, a group of “psychic vampires” who roam the country in RVs, looking for psychic people to feed on. Crow Daddy is the right-hand-man and lover of Rose the Hat, the leader of the group. Rose is being played by the great Rebecca Ferguson. In addition to Ferguson, Doctor Sleep stars Ewan McGregor as the grown-up Danny Torrance – the young boy with psychic powers from The Shining. McClarnon, Ferguson and McGregor are all excellent actors in their own unique ways, and their presence in the film is a huge bonus. So is the fact that the film is being helmed by Mike Flanagan, who is one of the best horror directors working right now.

Meanwhile, Deadline says Carl Lumbly, an actor who appeared in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, will play Dick Halloran. Halloran, as you might recall, was the cook at the Overlook Hotel – the setting for The Shining. He possessed psychic powers known as “the shining”, and recognized those same powers in Danny Torrance. Scatman Crothers played Dick in Stanley Kubrick’s movie. Deadline also reports that Alex Essoe will play Wendy Torrance, Danny’s mother, who was played by Shelley Duvall in the Kubrick movie. Essoe gave an incredibly performance in the indie horror film Starry Eyes.

I had wondered how Flanagan would approach Doctor Sleep. The film is being sold as the “sequel to The Shining“, but here’s the thing – Kubrick’s Shining film adaptation is very different than King’s novel, a fact that continues to irk King to this day. I was curious to see if Flanagan would change his adaptation to be more in line with Kubrick’s film, or if he would stick closer to King’s novel. Lumbly’s casting as Dick Halloran seems to confirm the latter. Because as you may recall, Holloran died at the end of Kubrick’s film when Jack Nicholson’s Jack Torrance took an axe to his chest. In King’s novel, however, Halloran lives.

Which asks a big question: how will the general public react to this? Will the general public go into Doctor Sleep expecting it to continue what Kubrick’s movie started? If so, folks are going to be sorely disappointed, and confused. There’s still plenty of time for Warner Bros. to come up with a clever marketing plan to sort all this out. For now, we’ll just have to wait and wonder.

Doctor Sleep opens on January 24, 2020.

CyberGhostface
08-01-2018, 04:14 PM
Zahn McClarnon is Crow Daddy.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/shining-movie-doctor-sleep-zahn-mcclarnon-crow-daddy-1202891803/

Brian861
08-01-2018, 09:37 PM
Zahn McClarnon is Crow Daddy.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/shining-movie-doctor-sleep-zahn-mcclarnon-crow-daddy-1202891803/

Outstanding actor. Glad to read this news.

MikeDuke
08-02-2018, 05:47 AM
So this might follow the TV mini-series of The Shining more then the movie? If so, I have no problem with that because I liked the min-series and that followed The Shining book more faithfully I think.

CyberGhostface
08-02-2018, 06:19 AM
If they make it a sequel to anything it'll probably be the Kubrick film just because that's the one most people know about. If I had been in charge I would have made Flanagan do another version of 'The Shining' (because I think he could do it justice while staying faithful) and then make 'Doctor Sleep' a sequel to that.

Brian861
08-02-2018, 06:44 AM
If they make it a sequel to anything it'll probably be the Kubrick film just because that's the one most people know about. If I had been in charge I would have made Flanagan do another version of 'The Shining' (because I think he could do it justice while staying faithful) and then make 'Doctor Sleep' a sequel to that.

I could get on board with that as well.

MikeDuke
08-02-2018, 07:32 AM
I could see that as well. But that might be too many remakes? I mean, they are already doing Pet Semetary again right? And they want to get this out as soon as possible because IT took everybody by storm. Making another Shining, then do DR. Sleep would probably make sense, but I think it would just push DR. Sleep too far back as well. I mean, look at what it took to finally nail down The Stand. I admit that I haven't read DR. Sleep so I don't know how much of The first Shinning (beyond Danny using his shine) there would be.

CyberGhostface
08-02-2018, 07:58 AM
There are a few significant 'Shining' connections but it's not a direct sequel. 'Black House' is probably the closest example as to the type of continuation it is.

MikeDuke
08-02-2018, 08:40 AM
OK. Thanks. I read Black House a long time ago and I remember liking it. The issue is the was never a Talisman movie first for the Black House to follow. I hope what ever direction they go in, It turns out to be a good movie.
good movie.

mae
08-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Ewan McGregor talks a tiny bit about Doctor Sleep with Stephen Colbert here (around 4:50 in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww02oDoJyTA

mae
08-06-2018, 08:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHcelkt8jdQ

CyberGhostface
08-30-2018, 02:42 PM
We have our Abra.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/30/doctor-sleep-abra-stone-kyliegh-curran/

mae
08-30-2018, 03:52 PM
She looks really adorable. I didn't like the book much but I'm actually really looking forward to the adaptation.

mae
09-18-2018, 03:36 PM
https://www.news4jax.com/entertainment/casting-call-shining-sequel-seeks-extras-for-st-marys-scene

A Georgia casting agency is looking to hire extras for the sequel to Stephen King’s “The Shining” when it films in St. Marys on Monday.

The Warner Bros. feature film, “Doctor Sleep,” stars Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson. Monday’s scene takes place during the daytime in a beachside community in 1980.

“We are casting a mix of people to be walking or sitting nearby our lead characters during a conversation,” according to a flyer from Atlanta-based Tammy Smith Casting.

Fortunately, you don’t have to enjoy scary movies to get a part. The agency is looking for men and women of all ethnicities, ages 18 to 80. Bonus points if you own a car made from 1970 to 1980.

The jobs pay $72 for the day with overtime after eight hours. If your car is used in the production, you’ll get an additional $175. Plus, meals will be provided.

Here’s how to apply:

Send an email to projects1@TSCasting.com with “1980” in the subject line.
Include two current photos, one from the chest up and one from the knees up.
Make sure you’re smiling in one photo. Don’t smile in the other, but have a pleasant expression.
If you own an older vehicle, please include a photo of that as well.
In the body of your email, include your first and last name, phone number, email address, city and state where you live, age, height, weight and any vehicle information.

mae
09-20-2018, 04:10 PM
https://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-sleep-cast-bruce-greenwood/

Gerald’s Game actor Bruce Greenwood is reuniting with Mike Flanagan for another Stephen King adaptation. Greenwood is the latest addition to the Doctor Sleep cast, based on King’s sequel to The Shining. The film stars Ewan McGregor stars as the grown up Danny Torrance, who must now deal with a nomadic horde of psychic vampires.

Deadline broke the news about Greenwood joining the Doctor Sleep cast. Per their report, Greenwood is playing a character named Dr. John, and that the description of this character is being kept under wraps. Greenwood is likely playing Dr. John Dalton, a family physician from King’s novel. Dalton is doctor to Abra Stone, a young girl with the psychic gift known as the shining. Abra becomes the target of the True Knot, a gang of immortals who feed off of psychic energy. Through the course of the story, the adult Danny Torrance – the young boy from The Shining – becomes Abra’s protector.

Ewan McGregor is playing Danny, while Kyliegh Curran is Abra. Rebecca Ferguson is portraying Rose, the leader of the True Knot. Other cast members include Carl Lumbly, Alex Essoe and Zahn McClarnon. As mentioned above, this will mark Greenwood’s second King adaptation with Flanagan, having worked with the filmmaker on Netflix’s Gerald’s Game. Flanagan’s connection, and the cast he’s assembled, are keeping me optimistic about the project – even though I don’t particularly care for King’s novel.

It will be interesting to see how Doctor Sleep is marketed, because while it serves as a sequel to King’s The Shining book, a majority of people are more familiar with Stanley Kubrick’s Shining film adaptation. And as King himself has complained about several times over the decades, Kubrick’s film is drastically different than the novel. If audiences go into Doctor Sleep expecting a connection to Kubrick’s film, they’re going to be very surprised.

Here’s the lengthy synopsis of the Doctor Sleep novel:

On highways across America, a tribe of people called the True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and spunky twelve-year-old Abra Stone learns, the True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the steam that children with the shining produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel, where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant shining power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, glorious story that will thrill the millions of devoted readers of The Shining and satisfy anyone new to this icon in the Stephen King canon.

Doctor Sleep opens on January 24, 2020.

mae
09-21-2018, 01:07 PM
https://deadline.com/2018/09/doctor-sleep-casting-snakebite-andi-emily-alyn-lind-revenge-actress-1202469052/

Code Black and Revenge actress Emily Alyn Lind has boarded Warner Bros.’The Shining sequel Doctor Sleep as Snakebite Andi who is a member of the nomadic psychic groups the True Knot who feed off the ‘steam’ of those children gifted with ‘the Shining’. Rose the Hat, the True Knot’s leader, has her main target in sight which is Abra Stone.

In the Stephen King novel Doctor Sleep, Andi was the first member of the True Knot to be introduced. She was sexually abused by her father, leading her to develop a hatred of all men and subsequently become a lesbian without realizing it. She’s nicknamed Snakebite because of her snake tattoo. Andi has the ability to make people fall asleep through suggestion. She’s in a relationship with fellow True Knot member Silent Sarey.

Mike Flanagan directs Doctor Sleep and adapted King’s novel. Trevor Macy and Jon Berg are producing. Lind joins already announced Ewan McGregor (grown up Danny Torrance), Rebecca Ferguson (Rose the Hat, leader of the True Knots), Bruce Greenwood, Kyliegh Curran (Abra Stone who has the gift of ‘the Shining’), Carl Lumbly, Alex Essoe and Zahn McClarnon.

Lind just concluded her work as a regular on Code Black playing Marcia Gay Harden’s daughter and will next be seen in Replicas with Keanu Reeves. For Revenge fans, Lind played the young Amanda Clarke. Lind’s talent reps are Coast to Coast, Dan Spilo at Industry Entertainment, and attorney Dave Feldman.

Doctor Sleep hits theaters on Jan. 24, 2020.

mae
09-26-2018, 03:51 PM
http://www.startribune.com/movie-sequel-to-the-shining-films-scenes-on-georgia-coast/494411971/

A movie sequel to Stephen King's horror classic "The Shining" has begun filming on the Georgia coast.

Filmmakers set up vehicles including large RVs, a tent, beach chairs, a picnic table and a fire pit on the beach at St. Simons Island for scenes being shot Tuesday and Wednesday for the movie "Doctor Sleep," based on King's 2013 book of the same name, The Brunswick News reported .

The Warner Brothers production stars Ewan McGregor as an adult Danny Torrance, last seen as a child with psychic powers in the Stanley Kubrick-directed 1980 film "The Shining."

A filming permit issued by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources said the scenes being shot on St. Simons Island feature a group of actors camping on the beach.

People strolling in the sand while the film crew was setting up stopped for a glimpse of Hollywood in action.

"It's not my kind of movie, I'm not a horror fan," said island resident Laurel Barnes. "But it's fascinating to watch them do this."

Donna Bassett, another island resident, was taking a close look at the cars, trucks and RVs being used.

"There's so much detail there," Bassett said. .On the side of the RV it says 'Vengeance.' I think they painted it on there."

Scenes for "Doctor Sleep" are also being shot in the coastal city of St. Marys, south of St. Simons near the Georgia-Florida state line.

Georgia officials recently said the past year was the busiest ever for movies and TV shows filmed in the state. There were 455 movie and TV productions filmed in Georgia during the 2018 fiscal year that ended June 30. Those projects brought $2.7 billion in direct spending to the state.

Recent Georgia movie projects include Mark Wahlberg's action movie "Mile 22" and a live-action remake of "The Little Mermaid." Both films opened in theaters Friday. Upcoming TV seasons of Netflix's "Ozark" and AMC's "The Walking Dead" were also shot in Georgia.

mae
10-01-2018, 04:29 PM
https://bloody-disgusting.com/interviews/3524531/doctor-sleep-filmmakers-contacted-shining-star-danny-lloyd-exclusive/

Mike Flanagan took time off from filming the Stephen King adaptation Doctor Sleep to talk to Bloody Disgusting about his Netflix series “The Haunting of Hill House”. Naturally, we had to poke him for insights into Doctor Sleep as well.

The book is King’s follow-up to his seminal novel “The Shining”, with a grown-up Danny Torrance (Ewan McGregor) as the lead. Danny Lloyd, who played Danny as a child in Stanley Kubrick’s movie The Shining, only acted once more in a TV movie. Flanagan says the production of Doctor Sleep did get in touch with Lloyd, but that’s all he’d reveal to us…

“It’s interesting, he’s a teacher, lives in the midwest,” Flanagan told us in a phone interview. “We definitely spoke to him. I don’t want to spoil anything but yeah, we absolutely got in touch.”

Flanagan also confirmed to us that his film will acknowledge Kubrick’s The Shining in some way, even if it’s an adaptation of King’s sequel rather than a sequel to Kubrick’s movie.

“Yeah, I think you do,” Flanagan said. “I think you do have to acknowledge that. There is no version of the world where I am trying not to acknowledge one of the greatest films ever made. There’s no upside in shying away from that reality.”

“At the same time, this is not The Shining,” Flanagan added.

“It’s its own story and in a very specific way. If you’ve read the book, you know exactly why it’s so different but it’s quite a tightrope that we’re walking I think. I’m having a great time doing it. I’m just going to get the movie out and then turn off the internet for two weeks and see how it all goes.”

We’ll bring you more with Mike Flanagan on “The Haunting of Hill House,” which premieres on Netflix on October 12.

Brian861
10-01-2018, 04:52 PM
There is no version of the world where I am trying not to acknowledge one of the greatest films ever made.

CyberGhostface
10-31-2018, 06:21 PM
Watching Hill House on Netflix makes me wish that Flanagan would adapt The Shining. I think he could do the book justice.

Brian861
10-31-2018, 09:20 PM
Watching Hill House on Netflix makes me wish that Flanagan would adapt The Shining. I think he could do the book justice.

Concur.

mae
11-10-2018, 08:36 AM
https://theblast.com/jacob-tremblay-payday-stephen-king-doctor-sleep-contract/

Jacob Tremblay is continuing his pint-sized dominance of Hollywood, and has secured the bag for a new movie based on one of Stephen King’s horrifying tales.

Tremblay, known for flicks like “Room” and “Wonder,” inked a $100,000 deal for a role in “Doctor Sleep,” according to his contract. The scary movie, which began shooting in October, is based on a 2013 book by King.

The six-figure payment isn’t for months of work either, the 12-year-old star is making the fat stacks for only 2 days of work! If they need him to shoot additional scenes past the two required days, he will receive $50,000 per day.

The young star actually signed his own contract, and his signature is just adorable.

Tremblay’s role is only listed as “Role #24,” but “Doctor Sleep” is actually a sequel to the classic 1977 horror story, “The Shining.” “Doctor Sleep” follows the now-grown Danny Torrance as he struggles with psychic powers and alcoholism.

Merlin1958
11-14-2018, 06:36 PM
https://theblast.com/jacob-tremblay-payday-stephen-king-doctor-sleep-contract/

Jacob Tremblay is continuing his pint-sized dominance of Hollywood, and has secured the bag for a new movie based on one of Stephen King’s horrifying tales.

Tremblay, known for flicks like “Room” and “Wonder,” inked a $100,000 deal for a role in “Doctor Sleep,” according to his contract. The scary movie, which began shooting in October, is based on a 2013 book by King.

The six-figure payment isn’t for months of work either, the 12-year-old star is making the fat stacks for only 2 days of work! If they need him to shoot additional scenes past the two required days, he will receive $50,000 per day.

The young star actually signed his own contract, and his signature is just adorable.

Tremblay’s role is only listed as “Role #24,” but “Doctor Sleep” is actually a sequel to the classic 1977 horror story, “The Shining.” “Doctor Sleep” follows the now-grown Danny Torrance as he struggles with psychic powers and alcoholism.

:clap::clap:

On a side note, Mae I never realized you were from, Jersey!!!! Know why there are so many bridges in, Jersey?????

It's cause of all the Trolls!!!! lol j/k lol Without, Jersey how would we ever get from N.Y. to D.C.???? LOL

mae
12-01-2018, 05:55 PM
Jersey's the butt of many jokes but I love it here.

Also:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3535964/mike-flanagan-wraps-filming-doctor-sleep-warner-bros-sequel-stephen-kings-shining/

Filming has officially wrapped on Doctor Sleep, Warner Bros. Pictures’ sequel to The Shining, announces director Mike Flanagan.

“So that’s a wrap on DOCTOR SLEEP! It’s been a long, crazy, truly unique experience. I read the novel as soon as it came out back in 2013, fascinated and moved by the epic story of Dan Torrance and Abra Stone, but I never imagined for a moment that I’d be the person to bring it to the big screen. It’s been an honor to spend the last five months with this fantastic cast and crew, and to be trusted with Stephen King’s extraordinary story. One of the highlights of my career, without a doubt.

Shine on, everyone. Shine on.“

Carl Lumbly plays Dick Hallorann with Alex Essoe playing Wendy Torrance in the continuation of the storyline from The Shining. Kyliegh Curran has been cast in the role of Abra Stone, a girl who has the gift of ‘The Shining’. Bruce Greenwood plays the role of Dr. John. Alyn Lind is Snakebite Andi, with Jocelin Donahue also starring.

Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson also star. McGregor stars as the adult version of Danny Torrance, while Ferguson plays Rose the Hat. Jacob Tremblay could be playing a younger Danny.

Flanagan rewrote Akiva Goldsman’s adaptation of Stephen King’s 2013 novel that picks up the life of the Redrum kid when he is in his 40s and struggling with the same demons of anger and alcoholism that plagued his father.

Doctor Sleep hits theaters on Jan. 24, 2020.

mae
02-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Apparently the movie was moved up on the schedule but no one here noticed?

https://deadline.com/2019/01/warner-bros-release-dates-galore-doctor-sleep-checks-in-this-november-the-witches-oct-2020-the-suicide-squad-returns-in-2021-1202546092/

In other major news, The Shining sequel Doctor Sleep jumps from January 24, 2020 to this year, on November 8, as the Burbank lot gives a major vote of confidence to the Mike Flanagan-directed Stephen King adaptation. Trevor Macy and Jon Berg produce. Doctor Sleep will rival Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog, Universal untitled Will Packer comedy and Roland Emmerich’s Midway from Lionsgate.

Meanwhile, Bob Zemeckis’ feature take on Roald Dahl’s novel The Witches will go October 16, 2020. Pic stars Anne Hathaway. Producers are Zemeckis, Jack Rapke, Alfonso Cuarón, Guillermo del Toro and Luke Kelly. Paramount has Micronauts, based on the 1980s toy opening on that date and Universal has a Blumhouse movie.

DC Super Pets is opening May 21, 2021. It takes the place of a WB event title on that date. Jared Stern and Sam Levine direct. Patty Hicks is producing. Super Pets is still the only film scheduled on the weekend preceding the Memorial Day stretch.

The Batman flies on June 25, 2021 as we exclusively reported a few minutes ago. Reeves is directing. He will also produce with Dylan Clark. The Batman is currently the only pic being released that weekend.

An untitled WB event film will open on July 16, 2021. This will be a big title, big stars and four-quad play we hear. It’s the only title currently on the date.

The Suicide Squad on Aug. 6, 2021. Charles Roven and Peter Safran are producing, and as Deadline exclusively reported back in October James Gunn is penning the script and in talks to direct. It’s the only release for that weekend.

Another untitled WB event film will also be released October 1, 2021.

herbertwest
02-13-2019, 01:31 PM
I dont know if it was shared here, but it's known since 2 weeks

Merlin1958
04-01-2019, 05:11 PM
So this might follow the TV mini-series of The Shining more then the movie? If so, I have no problem with that because I liked the min-series and that followed The Shining book more faithfully I think.

The TV version of "The Shining" was produced by, King and was actually his answer to the Kubrik film which he famously disliked. The Kubrik film while iconic and probably more well known was not an accurate adaption of the book to film. The TV version was far more accurate. Nevertheless, as stated in the article above, "Dr. Sleep" will be a sequel to the book/TV version of the Shining if for nothing else than, Halloran being cast in DS. As the article points out, Kubrik killed Halloran off in his version (for no apparent reason IMHO).

The idea that they would go back and remake the Kubrik film in order to make the King sequel seems a little silly and just ain't gonna happen. FWIW, I am not a fan of the Kubrik film in any way shape or form. About the only thing, Kubrik got right in my opinion was casting, Nicholson as, Jack. So, I admit to being biased. I loved the book, liked the TV version and also very much enjoyed the King sequel, "Dr. Sleep" so take that into account when reading this. So far, the casting news and all I've heard surrounding this film look very good for a faithful adaption of the original sequel novel. Can't wait to see what, Flanagan does with this. It should be a hoot, IMHO

CyberGhostface
04-02-2019, 06:30 AM
I know it wouldn't happen but IMO both versions of The Shining were failures and watching Flanagan's 'Hill House' and 'Gerald's Game' made me think he could be the one person to do a version that's both faithful to the novel and still a good film.

NoAttitudeThisTime
04-02-2019, 12:08 PM
I'm one of those who liked the miniseries version of The Shining, and I'm happy to see that Doctor Sleep will not be in honor of Kubrick's movie version.

herbertwest
04-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Some DOCTOR SLEEP teaser was shown yesterday at cinemacon :
https://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-sleep-cinemacon/

herbertwest
06-03-2019, 11:45 AM
So far, it seems that the movie will be released on october 30th in France, 31st in the UK and november 8th in the USA..

webstar1000
06-03-2019, 04:29 PM
I know someone who has seen this movie and said it is going to be a HUGE STINKER. He hated it and was super disappointed.

Merlin1958
06-04-2019, 07:23 AM
I know someone who has seen this movie and said it is going to be a HUGE STINKER. He hated it and was super disappointed.

Well, now that is disappointing to hear!!!!

CyberGhostface
06-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Same, especially with Flanagan's track record.

Iwritecode
06-04-2019, 10:00 AM

So it continues on with the time-honored tradition of making SK novels into horrible movies.

Great...

Bev Vincent
06-04-2019, 10:01 AM
One opinion, folks. Just one opinion...

CyberGhostface
06-04-2019, 10:35 AM
I am curious if they read the book given how a number of people didn't like it because it wasn't "The Shining Part 2".

St. Troy
06-04-2019, 10:47 AM
I am curious if they read the book given how a number of people didn't like it because it wasn't "The Shining Part 2".

Right.

Usually, marketing a sequel comes down to hey! did you like Movie A? well, here's Movie B!, but if I'm the marketing department for this movie, my #1 concern is expectation management, immediately clueing viewers in to the fact that this is going to be very different from The Shining.

Merlin1958
06-04-2019, 11:13 AM

I'm with you on this one, Bev. I'm hoping for a good film. I really liked the book. Hoping for good vibes from other reviewers.

mattgreenbean
06-04-2019, 11:18 AM

Brian861
06-04-2019, 12:05 PM

Right. Because some folks actually like The Shining movie :rolleyes:

Iwritecode
06-04-2019, 01:04 PM

I'm really hoping for something good. But just based on history, it seems like more often than not his novels just don't translate well to film. I remember having high hopes for movies like Cell and The Dark Tower as well. I guess we'll see.

Although I will admit that the track record is getting slightly better recently with things like the new It remake, 1922, Gerald's Game, Mr Mercedes and 11.22.63.

Brian861
06-05-2019, 12:10 AM

I'm really hoping for something good. But just based on history, it seems like more often than not his novels just don't translate well to film. I remember having high hopes for movies like Cell and The Dark Tower as well. I guess we'll see.

Although I will admit that the track record is getting slightly better recently with things like the new It remake, 1922, Gerald's Game, Mr Mercedes and 11.22.63.

Cell wasn't that great of a book so no big surprise me there.

Kongo
06-05-2019, 06:01 AM
I still have high hopes for the movie, and feel no reason to go into panic mode. Afterall just like the book it's based on, people are going to have strong opinions either way. I would think Mike Flanagan has earned our trust at this point

Bev Vincent
06-13-2019, 06:27 AM
Trailer coming today

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/64274124_1481540828652161_5876191726867054592_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQnQOKV4cQ45msIANZDvoYheBMZUH9Ecgj77JcnO_Rp bKr6HgZls6n6TXyCdBtGWyYo&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=3ea6083affbc3851f97eab6e9ed2b042&oe=5D9DBD6F

Bev Vincent
06-13-2019, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msJTFvhkU4

mae
06-13-2019, 08:11 AM
That looks really good!

Bev Vincent
06-13-2019, 08:13 AM
That looks really good!

I like how the trailer tells us that the movie will honor the Kubrick version in some ways.

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2019, 08:23 AM
That looks really good!

I like how the trailer tells us that the movie will honor the Kubrick version in some ways.

Yep. I'm inclined to give this move the benefit of the doubt. The whole history of The Shining and subsequently Doctor Sleep is loaded with baggage (Kubrick fans vs King fans, etc, etc), so I'll let the movie speak for itself and I'll judge it for myself. Looking forward to seeing what they've done!

Brian

Bev Vincent
06-13-2019, 08:30 AM
Lots of interesting insight from the director: Mike Flanagan Says ‘Doctor Sleep’ Is in the “Same Cinematic Universe” as ‘The Shining’ (http://collider.com/doctor-sleep-the-shining-cinematic-universe/)

CyberGhostface
06-13-2019, 08:40 AM
Disappointed but not surprised that they're using the Kubrick film as a point of reference. As for King giving the go-ahead, he seems to be giving carte blanch approval to nearly everything nowadays and then say how he really feels afterwards (for example he low-key dissed Under the Dome today on Twitter after defending all the changes when it was out). Although in this case he seems to genuinely like Flanagan as a director based on his past work so we'll see...

mae
06-13-2019, 08:46 AM
I take everything King says with a tremendously oversized grain of salt. His dislike for Kubrick's version of The Shining is still mind-boggling. No adaptation is like the book, and that was one of the best films ever made, period. It's great that this pays homage to that. Interesting to know if WB is still going ahead with that Shining prequel as well?

CyberGhostface
06-13-2019, 08:49 AM
I don't agree with everything King says but Kubrick's The Shining ruined Jack and Wendy and outright disrespected Halloran. Given how autobiographical Jack was to King I can understand why he'd be pissed at seeing a tragic figure succumbing to his demons turn into a cartoon character who's batshit when the credits start.

webstar1000
06-13-2019, 08:56 AM
HARD PASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. This looks like total B movie crap. My buddy who seen it... called it.

mae
06-13-2019, 08:56 AM
I don't feel he's crazy from the credits. That's just us from multiple viewings putting that in there plus Jack Nicholson being Jack Nicholson. I don't think you'd have that reaction if you saw The Shining opening weekend in 1980. And King himself tried to do better than Kubrick and wrote a pretty unwatchable miniseries in my opinion. That was nothing like the book either.

St. Troy
06-13-2019, 09:38 AM
I liked this trailer...and I wish I better remembered the book (which I really liked) so I could see what changed.

St. Troy
06-13-2019, 09:53 AM
His dislike for Kubrick's version of The Shining is still mind-boggling. No adaptation is like the book…

Many King adaptations strayed significantly from the source material; if there’s anything mind-boggling about this, it’s that he was never this upset again. Perhaps this is because it was early in King’s career (I believe this was only the second adaptation, after Carrie, per Randall Flag/Jerome – and the error is mine if I misunderstood him) and also because the character of Jack might have been pretty autobiographical for King, as CyberGhostface said.

It is undeniable, however that Kubrick:

…ruined Jack and Wendy and outright disrespected Halloran.

…and therefore logical that King might…

…be pissed at seeing a tragic figure succumbing to his demons turn into a cartoon character who's batshit when the credits start.

There’s no trace of warmth from the character of Jack in Kubrick’s Shining; that man's best-case scenario was to successfully tolerate being a husband and father.

King...wrote a pretty unwatchable miniseries in my opinion. That was nothing like the book either.

Do you really think it was nothing like the book? I lack the time and inclination to go over it scene by scene, but King’s TV miniseries was pretty faithful; I immensely enjoyed seeing the novel pretty much brought to life on screen: Jack was loving (making his downfall tragic – who felt bad when Nicholson’s Jack died? No one; Kubrick had made him into a cheap movie monster for the audience to root against), Wendy was a whole human being, protecting her child with a mother’s will, Hallorann was more than an asterisk, and the hotel and ghosts were creepy without being over the top.

One of the reasons King’s horror works so well is that, despite the horrible nature of it, it is so human - but Kubrick doesn’t do human, he does monoliths (he was a hell of a film maker, but utterly wrong for this). Well, his Shining was a beautiful and noteworthy monolith, but it ultimately had only the most surface of connections to the source, while the miniseries managed to make Jack alternately sympathetic and terrifying, then sympathetic again - and I’ll take that over “we have only one chance to get this shot of 5,000 gallons of blood coming out of the elevator, and by the way I am a genius” any day.

...but that's just me.

mae
06-13-2019, 10:05 AM
I did not feel any dread or was scared in any way by the miniseries. The book and Kubrick's movie were scary.

CyberGhostface
06-13-2019, 10:13 AM
I agree the miniseries was pretty weak, King made a mistake in insisting on writing the screenplay and then having Mick Garris direct it. Flanagan would have been perfect for it if they tried it again today.

Brian James Freeman
06-13-2019, 11:41 AM
I agree the miniseries was pretty weak, King made a mistake in insisting on writing the screenplay and then having Mick Garris direct it. Flanagan would have been perfect for it if they tried it again today.

Hey, if DOCTOR SLEEP makes a ton of money at the Box Office, they can always go back to that well again with the team that made this one...

Merlin1958
06-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Disappointed but not surprised that they're using the Kubrick film as a point of reference. As for King giving the go-ahead, he seems to be giving carte blanch approval to nearly everything nowadays and then say how he really feels afterwards (for example he low-key dissed Under the Dome today on Twitter after defending all the changes when it was out). Although in this case he seems to genuinely like Flanagan as a director based on his past work so we'll see...

If you think about it they really had no other choice than to reference the Kubrick film, given the wide spread popularity/viewing of that film vs the book/TV film with the viewing public. However, that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. It will depend on how much and what scenes are utilized as the flash back material. From the trailer it seems like they are on the right track. The film will be the final evidence on whether they got it right or not. All of which is to say that I agree with you. We'll seeeeeeeeeeee.................lol lol

I take everything King says with a tremendously oversized grain of salt. His dislike for Kubrick's version of The Shining is still mind-boggling. No adaptation is like the book, and that was one of the best films ever made, period. It's great that this pays homage to that. Interesting to know if WB is still going ahead with that Shining prequel as well?

Mae, I respect you and generally agree with most of your cinematic observations but, with all due respect, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MOTHERFUCKING MIND? "The Shining" is "one of the best films ever made, period"? That is an insane statement. The Kubrick film totally ripped the heart out of the story the book told. There are no reasons for some of the "adaption" changes he made. He totally screwed the pooch on that film as far as the book and its readers go.

I apologize in advance to you, Mae but I have to totally disagree with you on this one, my friend!!!!

Hunchback Jack
06-13-2019, 04:44 PM
HARD PASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. This looks like total B movie crap. My buddy who seen it... called it.

Kris, how was your buddy able to see it? I'd be surprised if they had a final cut of the movie four months before release, unless it's all done and the release was delayed.

Interesting that the movie is clearly a sequel to the Kubrick movie (Room 237, not 217) as well.

HBJ

webstar1000
06-13-2019, 04:49 PM

Kris, how was your buddy able to see it? I'd be surprised if they had a final cut of the movie four months before release, unless it's all done and the release was delayed.

Interesting that the movie is clearly a sequel to the Kubrick movie (Room 237, not 217) as well.

HBJ

He works with the studio. He is a super good guy and he called me the minute he got out. And he totally hated it. Said it was (in his words... “a total stinker”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunchback Jack
06-13-2019, 05:39 PM
Oh, cool. I wonder if he saw a workprint or the final version. Was it a test screening? Did he give feedback?

Ricky
06-13-2019, 05:59 PM
It does look good. Surprised but also not surprised it takes place in the same universe as The Shining film. I'd thought they'd want to distinguish itself from it. But also, EVERYBODY knows The Shining movie so from a business standpoint, they'd be stupid not to.

As for King giving the go-ahead, he seems to be giving carte blanch approval to nearly everything nowadays and then say how he really feels afterwards (for example he low-key dissed Under the Dome today on Twitter after defending all the changes when it was out).

This was exactly my thought as well.

I take everything King says with a tremendously oversized grain of salt.

This. Especially book recommendations.

georgiesarm
06-14-2019, 12:06 AM
Do you really think it was nothing like the book?

I think the mini-series is nothing like the book. It is boring. Not scary. Cheesy (oh, that Tony). Sets an uninspired, flat tone (trademarked by Mick Garris). The kid is annoying. Crazy Jack is unconvincing and laughable. All things I don't associate with the novel. It is only like the book in the shallowest of ways: by copying the story beat for beat, something that often doesn't translate well to film.

Mae, I respect you and generally agree with most of your cinematic observations but, with all due respect, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MOTHERFUCKING MIND? "The Shining" is "one of the best films ever made, period"? That is an insane statement.

Nothing insane about that statement at all, The Shining is widely regarded to be a cinematic masterpiece by film critics, filmfans and filmmakers.

kingfan2323
06-14-2019, 12:33 AM
Do you really think it was nothing like the book?

I think the mini-series is nothing like the book. It is boring. Not scary. Cheesy (oh, that Tony). Sets an uninspired, flat tone (trademarked by Mick Garris). The kid is annoying. Crazy Jack is unconvincing and laughable. All things I don't associate with the novel. It is only like the book in the shallowest of ways: by copying the story beat for beat, something that often doesn't translate well to film.

Mae, I respect you and generally agree with most of your cinematic observations but, with all due respect, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MOTHERFUCKING MIND? "The Shining" is "one of the best films ever made, period"? That is an insane statement.

Nothing insane about that statement at all, The Shining is widely regarded to be a cinematic masterpiece by film critics, filmfans and filmmakers.From 1956 on Every Kubrick film is "one of the best films ever made"

seeking: anything DT related #246
Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)

RichardX
06-14-2019, 04:19 AM
When even the trailer looks contrived and Hollywood-cheesy, you know a movie is in big trouble. Imagine the scathing reviews when then this is inevitably compared to the Kubrick film by implication. Regarding the original film. It is a horror classic. All of King's naysaying of that film ring hollow with his endorsement or silence on so many terrible movies based on his books. Including The Dark Tower. I think his criticism of The Shining is based more on an ego clash with Kubrick. It is maybe the one King film that is more often associated with the director than King himself.

webstar1000
06-14-2019, 04:21 AM
Oh, cool. I wonder if he saw a workprint or the final version. Was it a test screening? Did he give feedback?

I just asked. Says it was the finished product. Whether there is changes or not... he did not indicate it to me. HE LOVED IT....

St. Troy
06-14-2019, 06:15 AM
Criticism of the Shining miniseries seems to boil down to "found it boring/not scary" etc. That's a good reason not to personally enjoy something, but it doesn't make it a bad adaptation (I found it creepy and good).

Kubrick's film is a detour, a distraction, and the fact that this detour/distraction is a good film doesn't negate the fact that he ignored King's story by changing a sympathetic and therefore tragic protagonist into a monster that the movie viewer must watch to see if he kills, or is killed by, his weaker prey (logistically making the last half or third of Kubrick's Shining a hell of a lot more like a Freddy or Jason movie - man with axe chases woman and child!! will they make it?? - even if it looks nothing like one). It's okay to enjoy the film (as I do) while seeing that it is a poor adaptation (as it is) and understanding why King's feelings would be determined by this.

King has described the experience of first watching Kubrick's Shining (thinking something like "I've seen this guy before" when seeing Nicholson's Jack); I imagine there's quite a bit on screen in a Kubrick film that you wouldn't have seen in the script (I don't know if King did but I wonder; perhaps his expectations were dashed only when he watched it - I'm sure others here know more).

mae
06-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Great discussion of the trailer by The Losers Club: https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/episode-123-doctor-sleep-trailer/

Now I’m really curious what this awesome Dark Tower reference will be.

CyberGhostface
06-14-2019, 07:33 AM
I think his criticism of The Shining is based more on an ego clash with Kubrick. It is maybe the one King film that is more often associated with the director than King himself.

People keep on trying to ascribe ulterior motives to King's dislike of 'The Shining' and I don't know why it can't just be for the reasons King has stated.

If it was about ego, he wouldn't have said the film version Carrie was better than what he wrote or that Darabont improved his ending to The Mist. Not to mention other films he's praised like Shawshank Redemption or Stand By Me that have dwarfed the source material to such a point that many people don't even know King wrote the original which has never been the case with The Shining.

RichardX
06-14-2019, 08:01 AM
I think his criticism of The Shining is based more on an ego clash with Kubrick. It is maybe the one King film that is more often associated with the director than King himself.

People keep on trying to ascribe ulterior motives to King's dislike of 'The Shining' and I don't know why it can't just be for the reasons King has stated.

If it was about ego, he wouldn't have said the film version Carrie was better than what he wrote or that Darabont improved his ending to The Mist. Not to mention other films he's praised like Shawshank Redemption or Stand By Me that have dwarfed the source material to such a point that many people don't even know King wrote the original which has never been the case with The Shining.

His espoused reasons for disliking The Shining don't hold true because they are not applied to other situations. He seems to have a problem specific to The Shining. The only thing unique about that film is that it is considered a classic and as much or more a Kubrick film than a King film. And I don't think Kubrick paid homage to King to his satisfaction as some other directors have done. In the end his reasons are largely meaningless as everyone can assess the merits for themselves.

CyberGhostface
06-14-2019, 08:13 AM
His espoused reasons for disliking The Shining don't hold true because they are not applied to other situations.

What other situations? What other book that was as deeply autobiographical to King as The Shining was adapted in a similarly irreverent fashion?

He seems to have a problem specific to The Shining. The only thing unique about that film is that it is considered a classic and as much or more a Kubrick film than a King film.

And again... if that was at all a significant issue why is he praising other classic films that have actually dwarfed not only the source material but knowledge of King's involvement? 'The Shining' is still widely recognized as being a Stephen King story. 'Stand By Me' is not.

Merlin1958
06-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Nothing insane about that statement at all, The Shining is widely regarded to be a cinematic masterpiece by film critics, filmfans and filmmakers.[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but that doesn't make them right!!! lol Anyway, I'm really basing my opinion on, Kubrick's adaption of the book to film, which I think most here are primarily concerned with, not the film itself if you know what I mean. The TV MS may not have been as dynamic as the film version, but it was far more accurate an adaption of the book. This is just my opinion. I'm not trying to start a debate or anything. Personally, I thought, Kubrick really screwed the pooch on this one regardless how the film community may feel about it and his other films since 1956 or whatever. lol

georgiesarm
06-14-2019, 09:42 AM
Kubrick's film is a detour, a distraction, and the fact that this detour/distraction is a good film doesn't negate the fact that he ignored King's story by changing a sympathetic and therefore tragic protagonist into a monster that the movie viewer must watch to see if he kills, or is killed by, his weaker prey (logistically making the last half or third of Kubrick's Shining a hell of a lot more like a Freddy or Jason movie - man with axe chases woman and child!! will they make it?? - even if it looks nothing like one). It's okay to enjoy the film (as I do) while seeing that it is a poor adaptation (as it is) and understanding why King's feelings would be determined by this.

I think the mini-series is at least as guilty of this if not more, to the point of putting evil Jack in actual (and cheap looking) monster make-up. Jack's over the top spouting out of cheesy lines in the last part while chasing Danny, or stuff like the silly CG visual of a firehose with teeth, are much more in line with a Freddy movie than anything in the Kubrick film. And I just don't feel sympathy for Jack or Danny because of their poor acting. A little more for Wendy, but she's given too much dumb things to do, like delivering long, unconvincing monologues telling the ghosts they're just spooks.

georgiesarm
06-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Nothing insane about that statement at all, The Shining is widely regarded to be a cinematic masterpiece by film critics, filmfans and filmmakers.

Maybe so, but that doesn't make them right!!! lol Anyway, I'm really basing my opinion on, Kubrick's adaption of the book to film, which I think most here are primarily concerned with, not the film itself if you know what I mean. The TV MS may not have been as dynamic as the film version, but it was far more accurate an adaption of the book. This is just my opinion. I'm not trying to start a debate or anything. Personally, I thought, Kubrick really screwed the pooch on this one regardless how the film community may feel about it and his other films since 1956 or whatever. lol[/QUOTE]

I feel they both fail as an adaptation. I'm looking for a film to capture the spirit of the book, and Mick Garris' directing fails to do so every single time. You just can't film a Stephen King story in such a bland fashion and be faithful IMO.

St. Troy
06-14-2019, 10:09 AM
I think it's being lost that my Freddy/Jason comparison refers to the nature of the "big baddie" (not the way it looks on screen, not special effects), specifically:

- in King's novel and miniseries, the "big baddie" is a sympathetic human being with a tragic character arc whose death is sad, despite the fact that we don't want him to succeed in harming Danny;

- in Kubrick's adaptation, the big baddie is basically inhuman, and we hope for something to stop him as he mindlessly seeks to kill his intended victims - as is the case with every Freddy/Jason type film ever made.

The first is a human story; the second is a museum piece to stare at.

That is a huge loss.

Whether or not you enjoy museum pieces - I do, and Kubrick is good with them - it is hardly remarkable that this profound and obvious loss of story caused King's complaints (that people find them head-scratching is itself head-scratching).

St. Troy
06-14-2019, 10:20 AM
Although I enjoyed the miniseries and was thrilled (kind of still am) to have access to a proper adaptation, yes, it lacked in some of the qualities an actual movie would have (I'm not saying it was perfect; special effects suffered, but I thought the acting was generally good). For me, that was a very acceptable trade-off, given that it was faithful to the novel and much longer than a single movie could be - and also because I never thought there'd be another adaptation. If someone wanted to take another run at adapting it, I'm happy to see it, but only if it stays relatively faithful (otherwise, just watch Kubrick's echoing hall of images one more time).

Random:
Parallels between the characters of Jack and Cujo just occurred to me...

Hunchback Jack
06-14-2019, 11:11 AM
I watched Room 237 recently, about some of the "hidden messages" in Kubrick's The Shining. Some film critics have WAY too much time on their hands.

Personally I think the film works just fine without needing hidden references to Native American massacres, the Holocaust, or faking the moon landings.

HBJ

mae
06-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Great discussion of the trailer by The Losers Club: https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/episode-123-doctor-sleep-trailer/

Now I’m really curious what this awesome Dark Tower reference will be.

No one? Maybe this one person who's seen the film might tell us :)

St. Troy
06-14-2019, 11:30 AM
...hidden references to Native American massacres, the Holocaust, or faking the moon landings.

What do you think - are those references really there in the film? Or are the critics just reading too much into it?

Hunchback Jack
06-14-2019, 11:53 AM
I think a lot of it is critics reading too much into it.

There’s a mystique around Kubrick because he was known to be obsessive about details, and a perfectionist. He insisted on a huge number of takes for even relatively minor scenes. And he’s obviously very precise when it comes to blocking and the timing of a scene. So I think people go a bit crazy when analyzing his work, because they think every facet of every frame must serve some deeper allegorical or thematic purpose.

So they will see something in one scene, get the idea that it “means something”, and look for supporting evidence in other scenes. Which they will find, because imagination is a powerful thing, and confirmation bias will convince them it’s not a coincidence.

Others do things like superimpose the film playing forwards over the film playing backwards, and look for meaning in the combinations of elements they see. That, to my mind, is a complete waste of time if you are interested in Kubrick’s actual intent.

That’s not to say The Shining can only be enjoyed at face value. I do think a lot of the elements that are interpreted as allegorical are done deliberately - but to support the movie’s plot, character development, theme, or mood, not to convey a hidden message.

HBJ

mae
06-14-2019, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QKnZeRaRwY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvSQ15zc_Fs

Bev Vincent
06-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Original Danny Torrance Actor Responds to The Shining Sequel Doctor Sleep (https://movieweb.com/doctor-sleep-trailer-danny-lloyd-responds/)

Joe315
06-15-2019, 12:16 PM

He works with the studio. He is a super good guy and he called me the minute he got out. And he totally hated it. Said it was (in his words... “a total stinker”.

I just asked. Says it was the finished product. Whether there is changes or not... he did not indicate it to me. HE LOVED IT....

Which is it Kris, good or bad?

fernandito
06-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Stoked for this! Love the callback to the Shining with that audio cue at the end of the trailer.

RichardX
06-15-2019, 01:38 PM
In fairness to the movie, I don't think Dr. Sleep was a particularly good book. There is not much to work with and it is impossible to live up to a comparison with Kubrick's iconic movie. So this one is likely to go the way of The Dark Tower. A resounding dud that is forgotten while it is still in the theatres. I hope I'm wrong though but that trailer doesn't inspire confidence. A great trailer doesn't mean a great movie but a bad trailer usually means trouble. If you can't grab the audience's attention for a couple of minutes, then you are doomed with a full length movie.

Merlin1958
06-15-2019, 02:04 PM
In fairness to the movie, I don't think Dr. Sleep was a particularly good book. There is not much to work with and it is impossible to live up to a comparison with Kubrick's iconic movie. So this one is likely to go the way of The Dark Tower. A resounding dud that is forgotten while it is still in the theatres. I hope I'm wrong though but that trailer doesn't inspire confidence. A great trailer doesn't mean a great movie but a bad trailer usually means trouble. If you can't grab the audience's attention for a couple of minutes, then you are doomed with a full length movie.

Kubricks' film and Kings' novel (either one) have very little to do with one another.

CyberGhostface
06-15-2019, 03:52 PM
...hidden references to Native American massacres, the Holocaust, or faking the moon landings.

What do you think - are those references really there in the film? Or are the critics just reading too much into it?

Most of it's bullshit. One of Kubrick's aides said a lot of the stuff they thought had grander meaning was just there for pragmatic reasons -- i.e. the documentary goes on about the symbolism of a German typewriter representing the Holocaust when Kubrick just liked how it looked.

So this one is likely to go the way of The Dark Tower. A resounding dud that is forgotten while it is still in the theatres

I doubt it will go the way of 'The Dark Tower'. That was a misfire on every conceivable level. Something like this they would have to go out of their way to drop the ball like they did there.

This at least has a legitimately talented director behind it. Mike Flanagan took a film based off one of King's least popular novels and turned it into something almost everyone loved.

Worst case scenario I see it doing similar to Pet Sematary. This at least has the buzz of being a Shining sequel to catch mainstream viewers.

webstar1000
06-16-2019, 07:57 AM

IT. He loved the movie IT. Lol hated Doctor Sleep

herbertwest
06-16-2019, 11:43 AM

Most of it's bullshit. One of Kubrick's aides said a lot of the stuff they thought had grander meaning was just there for pragmatic reasons -- i.e. the documentary goes on about the symbolism of a German typewriter representing the Holocaust when Kubrick just liked how it looked.

So this one is likely to go the way of The Dark Tower. A resounding dud that is forgotten while it is still in the theatres

I doubt it will go the way of 'The Dark Tower'. That was a misfire on every conceivable level. Something like this they would have to go out of their way to drop the ball like they did there.

This at least has a legitimately talented director behind it. Mike Flanagan took a film based off one of King's least popular novels and turned it into something almost everyone loved.

Worst case scenario I see it doing similar to Pet Sematary. This at least has the buzz of being a Shining sequel to catch mainstream viewers.

Given that they play with the SHINING card, I think that it can only help the movie.
Who, nowadays, do not know that movie?

That's obviously a very clever marketng plan

St. Troy
06-17-2019, 08:48 AM
Others do things like superimpose the film playing forwards over the film playing backwards, and look for meaning in the combinations of elements they see.

Ok; I'll admit to being mighty curious about the results this yields.

Hunchback Jack
06-17-2019, 12:03 PM
Others do things like superimpose the film playing forwards over the film playing backwards, and look for meaning in the combinations of elements they see.

It's in the Room 237 documentary. It is fascinating to watch, and fun to draw correlations between the two superimposed images, but it's a meaningless exercise with respect to interpretation.

I don't subscribe to the postmodernist idea that any interpretation of a film or book can be considered meaningful or valid, no matter what the author's actual intent was. In my mind, that's not interpretation, that's embellishment - the same driving force that creates fan fiction. It might be fascinating and fun, and essentially harmless, but it's not enriching our understanding of the original work.

HBJ

RichardX
06-17-2019, 04:57 PM

I think the only question is whether it fails small or big. And that depends on how closely it is associated with Kubrick's movie. If this is marketed as a sequel to that iconic movie, then it is a big time fail. If it is marketed as some type of Stephen King-related movie, then it will be a minor Pet Sematary fail. Again though, I think the filmmakers are at some disadvantage in that King hasn't given them much to work with here.

mattgreenbean
06-17-2019, 08:22 PM
With all this conversation about Kubrick's film, I was talking to my co-worker buddy about Dr. Stranglove. The intern asked what movie I was talking about. I said it's a Kubrick film. She asked who Stanley Kubrick was.

Aside from that, I finally got to finish reading Doctor Sleep, which I started last year after my second child was born. I should have waited because finding time to read became difficult. But I finished it and it was an alright story. Not as tight as The Shining. But as a what-ever-happened-to-danny story, it was fulfilling. So then I watched the trailer, and it looked as though Flanagan has injected some energy into the pacing of the story. I really think I'm going to enjoy the movie.
I'd like to see Flanagan do Insomnia.

kingfan2323
06-17-2019, 09:54 PM
With all this conversation about Kubrick's film, I was talking to my co-worker buddy about Dr. Stranglove. The intern asked what movie I was talking about. I said it's a Kubrick film. She asked who Stanley Kubrick was.

Aside from that, I finally got to finish reading Doctor Sleep, which I started last year after my second child was born. I should have waited because finding time to read became difficult. But I finished it and it was an alright story. Not as tight as The Shining. But as a what-ever-happened-to-danny story, it was fulfilling. So then I watched the trailer, and it looked as though Flanagan has injected some energy into the pacing of the story. I really think I'm going to enjoy the movie.
I'd like to see Flanagan do Insomnia.Some interesting points. Up to us to spread the gospel of Kubrick. Master for sure. Insomnia eh! Interesting.

kingfan2323
06-17-2019, 10:34 PM

It's in the Room 237 documentary. It is fascinating to watch, and fun to draw correlations between the two superimposed images, but it's a meaningless exercise with respect to interpretation.

I don't subscribe to the postmodernist idea that any interpretation of a film or book can be considered meaningful or valid, no matter what the author's actual intent was. In my mind, that's not interpretation, that's embellishment - the same driving force that creates fan fiction. It might be fascinating and fun, and essentially harmless, but it's not enriching our understanding of the original work.

HBJI love that point, HBJ! One of the highlights of going to film school was listening to my instructor and class discuss all the meanings behind the USA flag car cover used in Silence of the Lambs. That night I watched the laser disc (google it) ha! And in the director commentary Jonathan Demme says that people like speculating on the old car cover but it doesn't mean ANYTHING. Last minute prop run and that's it. Instructor was very pissy when he couldn't blabber on about it. There is plenty of amazing themes and ideas in good cinema. Dont make it up.

#1 highlight- william friedkin giving a talk and ends up asking me probing questions on what film techniques lead to me being frightened during The Excorcist! In an auditorium of people.

RichardX
06-19-2019, 11:12 AM
From a philosophical view, there might be a question as to whether the director/writer/artist must intend for there to be a symbolic meaning for it to exist or to whether the audience can give it meaning.

When I saw the documentary on The Shining it struck me that some of the "symbolic" parts might just have been sloppy continuity errors. For example, when objects appear in one shot but not in others. But who really knows whether it was intentional or not?

amd013
06-19-2019, 02:16 PM
Did they change room 217 to 237 in the movie? That's what I saw in this trailer.

CyberGhostface
06-19-2019, 02:36 PM
Did they change room 217 to 237 in the movie? That's what I saw in this trailer.

Yep it's 237 in the Kubrick film (the hotel they filmed at thought people wouldn't want to stay in the actual 217 there ironically) so they're going to follow that over the novel.

Jon
06-19-2019, 07:30 PM

I did too, Jon in regards to Doctor Sleep. But we're in the minority.

Unfortunately, the opposite happened (in my mind) with Tommyknockers and The Stand. Both top of the line books (IMO) but stinkers for movies.

St. Troy
06-20-2019, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else posted this, but if not:

HERE’S HOW ‘DOCTOR SLEEP’S RECREATION OF ‘THE SHINING’ COMPARES TO THE ORIGINAL MOVIE

https://screencrush.com/the-shining-doctor-sleep-comparison/

Merlin1958
06-20-2019, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else posted this, but if not:

HERE’S HOW ‘DOCTOR SLEEP’S RECREATION OF ‘THE SHINING’ COMPARES TO THE ORIGINAL MOVIE

https://screencrush.com/the-shining-doctor-sleep-comparison/

Kinda cool IMHO. Interesting as well as it sort of gives you a little more insight as to how they intend to handle the "sequel" aspect of the film. Apparently they are only referencing the original movie from the sequel's perspective, meaning only where it is critically important to the new film. I'd see that as a very good thing. I also like that they recreated the door scene with McGregor rather than utilizing the Kubrick clip. Personally, I continue to have high hopes fro this film!!!

Ari_Racing
06-21-2019, 04:23 PM

Can't be the final movie, since they're working on the score as we speak. Confirmed to me by Andy Muschietti.

By the way, today I got confirmation of which cameo King performs. I had a lead for several months but now it's official :)

herbertwest
06-22-2019, 12:33 AM

Can't be the final movie, since they're working on the score as we speak. Confirmed to me by Andy Muschietti.

By the way, today I got confirmation of which cameo King performs. I had a lead for several months but now it's official :)

Are you talking about IT 2 (and the rumor that circulated) or DOCTOR SLEEP?

webstar1000
06-22-2019, 02:07 PM

I’m talking the first IT and Doctor Sleep. Lol

Ari_Racing
06-24-2019, 05:37 AM
Gotcha. :)

RichardX
06-26-2019, 06:37 AM
The actors who played Danny, the Grady twins, and the woman in room 237 are going to be at Monster Mania in MD this October.

http://monstermania.net/mmc-44-guests/

Ricky
06-26-2019, 09:02 AM
I was actually considering going to that. Plus Scream and Halloween actors!

stroppygoblin
08-08-2019, 05:29 AM
Hell:)...

St. Troy
08-08-2019, 08:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzrMdxje2Qc

Merlin1958
08-10-2019, 07:10 AM

Thanks for posting this!!!! I'm looking forward to this film. Really enjoyed the book. In fact, one of the few recent ones he' written recently I really enjoyed!!!

herbertwest
08-10-2019, 09:19 AM
I dont think that's its a new footage though, is it?

Brian861
08-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Thanks for posting this!!!! I'm looking forward to this film. Really enjoyed the book. In fact, one of the few recent ones he' written recently I really enjoyed!!!

I'm in the small camp with ya, WB that really enjoyed this book.

I believe you're correct, Jeremy. It's not new footage.

CyberGhostface
09-08-2019, 08:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOzFZxB-8cw

mae
09-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Looks incredible! Cannot wait :panic:

CyberGhostface
09-08-2019, 09:26 AM
I still think Flanagan should have remade The Shining and then do Doctor Sleep as opposed to introducing all this Kubrick fanservice.

webstar1000
09-08-2019, 02:19 PM
I think this looks bad.... I’m not excited at all.

mikeC
09-10-2019, 03:20 PM
New trailer is pretty incredible. Looks like Flannigan is trying to make a sequel to the book using the movie as source material, he's trying to mix the two. I think that's pretty ambitious. Can't wait.

Merlin1958
09-14-2019, 12:56 PM
I think this looks bad.... I’m not excited at all.

Shit, a "Debbie Downer", Kris? For shame!!! lol

Ari_Racing
09-16-2019, 05:50 AM
The trailer looks really promising! I'm having a meeting with Warner this week and I'm crossing my fingers I can watch the film very soon :)

Bev Vincent
10-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Stephen King, Ewan McGregor explain why adult Danny is still so screwed up in Doctor Sleep (https://ew.com/movies/2019/10/02/doctor-sleep-ewan-mcgregor-stephen-king/?utm_medium=social&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_ew&utm_term=516BE9CA-E536-11E9-BA9C-A6C34744363C&utm_source=twitter.com&__twitter_impression=true)

Ari_Racing
10-02-2019, 09:30 AM
That's a very cool feature. :)

webstar1000
10-02-2019, 09:39 AM
I have ZERO hope for this movie. My insider pal said they did do some re-shoots and he went back for a audience review and hated it just as much. He said they are trying to save it with lots of Shining footage but it doesn't... it is one I will probably skip unless there is a miracle in the final edits.

mae
10-04-2019, 02:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPeSnR4-Zjc

Ben Mears
10-04-2019, 02:55 PM
Looks very intriguing.

Sai Sheb
10-06-2019, 12:11 AM
Not sure about Ewan McGregor...
I cant take him serious... I just keep thinking of Big Fish.

MikeDuke
10-06-2019, 07:33 AM
No Doubt. That was a cool little video. And to hear King talk about was also cool. I sort of felt that in The Shinning, King himself was sort of like the Jack character being an alcoholic (which to me is what the book is really about). The much maligned TV series makes that point better. But now it's Danny that has turned drinking. Being an alcoholic and hitting bottom, sort of the way King probably did in real life. But then Danny turns it around (I am guessing). It is also showing that alcoholism runs in the family for different reasons. I also thought it was incredible that he said, out loud, that this was a sort of sequel to the Kubrick movie, even though we all know how much he disliked that. That video makes me want to see it even more now.

Merlin1958
10-06-2019, 09:55 AM
No Doubt. That was a cool little video. And to hear King talk about was also cool. I sort of felt that in The Shinning, King himself was sort of like the Jack character being an alcoholic (which to me is what the book is really about). The much maligned TV series makes that point better. But now it's Danny that has turned drinking. Being an alcoholic and hitting bottom, sort of the way King probably did in real life. But then Danny turns it around (I am guessing). It is also showing that alcoholism runs in the family for different reasons. I also thought it was incredible that he said, out loud, that this was a sort of sequel to the Kubrick movie, even though we all know how much he disliked that. That video makes me want to see it even more now.

I've been a King fan since the beginning back in the mid 70's. From the tenor of this post it appears to me that you became a fan many years later. That's awesome and cool, I just may have a different perspective on this original novel and the sequel both as a book and film some 20 aught years after the original classic. As far as I knew, King was still an alcoholic while writing and publishing "The Shining". Where he actually "was: on the subject personally at that time I couldn't say, but as I recall he didn't come "out publicly" as an alcoholic and substance abuser until around the time (or shortly thereafter) of the release of "Tommyknockers".

Perhaps regardless, "Dr. Sleep" came out many years later while, King was well into recovery and he certainly reflects his own issues/struggles/recovery to a greater or lesser extent in "Danny" as a significantly aged and recovering alcoholic character. As far as the film goes as a rendition of the book in film, to my knowledge it is not "sort of" sequel to the, "Kubrick film". According to what I have read, King still is not pleased with the original "Shining", but has come to some sort of peace with the situation. The Dr. Sleep director made a concious choice to utilize the iconic nature of the original film to help frame the retrospective flash backs in the book by editing in the familiar scenes from Kubrick's film as a better way to educate those film goers that had never read "The Shining" book, but saw the Kubrick movie as a better frame of reference for those audiences as a better storytelling choice and marketing choice.

I hope that gives you and any others a little better background and understanding behind the new film. FWIW, I really enjoyed the book and found it to be like getting a visit from an old and cherished friend while reading it. I'm therefore looking forward to the film and really don't have any issue with the use of clips being included as a storytelling device in this film. I didn't at all care for the Kubrick film as a valid interpetation of the book, but hell, virtually all of us have seen it and come to terms with it some form over the years. lol So, I get it as a film device and am more interested in how the "Danny 20 some odd years later" character is dealt with in the film and will likely not have any issues with the Kubrick edits/clips. BTW, can't wait for this film!!!!! lol lol Trailers look very good (but then they so often do, right?) lol lol

MikeDuke
10-06-2019, 04:28 PM
That's cool Merlin. And your right. I came to King later. In the mid 80's. I figured that he was still battling with his addiction during The Shining. That's why I, personally, enjoyed the TV mini-series of The Shinning. I knew King did not like the Kubrick version but like you has said he has come to terms with it. I did not read Dr. Sleep (lazy), so I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Anyway, I agree with what you wrote. I am just interested in where he takes the character of Danny.

Merlin1958
10-06-2019, 07:07 PM
That's cool Merlin. And your right. I came to King later. In the mid 80's. I figured that he was still battling with his addiction during The Shining. That's why I, personally, enjoyed the TV mini-series of The Shinning. I knew King did not like the Kubrick version but like you has said he has come to terms with it. I did not read Dr. Sleep (lazy), so I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Anyway, I agree with what you wrote. I am just interested in where he takes the character of Danny.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ben Mears
10-07-2019, 05:28 AM

I've been a King fan since the beginning back in the mid 70's. From the tenor of this post it appears to me that you became a fan many years later. That's awesome and cool, I just may have a different perspective on this original novel and the sequel both as a book and film some 20 aught years after the original classic. As far as I knew, King was still an alcoholic while writing and publishing "The Shining". Where he actually "was: on the subject personally at that time I couldn't say, but as I recall he didn't come "out publicly" as an alcoholic and substance abuser until around the time (or shortly thereafter) of the release of "Tommyknockers".

Perhaps regardless, "Dr. Sleep" came out many years later while, King was well into recovery and he certainly reflects his own issues/struggles/recovery to a greater or lesser extent in "Danny" as a significantly aged and recovering alcoholic character. As far as the film goes as a rendition of the book in film, to my knowledge it is not "sort of" sequel to the, "Kubrick film". According to what I have read, King still is not pleased with the original "Shining", but has come to some sort of peace with the situation. The Dr. Sleep director made a concious choice to utilize the iconic nature of the original film to help frame the retrospective flash backs in the book by editing in the familiar scenes from Kubrick's film as a better way to educate those film goers that had never read "The Shining" book, but saw the Kubrick movie as a better frame of reference for those audiences as a better storytelling choice and marketing choice.

I hope that gives you and any others a little better background and understanding behind the new film. FWIW, I really enjoyed the book and found it to be like getting a visit from an old and cherished friend while reading it. I'm therefore looking forward to the film and really don't have any issue with the use of clips being included as a storytelling device in this film. I didn't at all care for the Kubrick film as a valid interpetation of the book, but hell, virtually all of us have seen it and come to terms with it some form over the years. lol So, I get it as a film device and am more interested in how the "Danny 20 some odd years later" character is dealt with in the film and will likely not have any issues with the Kubrick edits/clips. BTW, can't wait for this film!!!!! lol lol Trailers look very good (but then they so often do, right?) lol lol

+1

Merlin1958
10-07-2019, 01:29 PM
My daughter invited me to see "IT 2" yesterday and naturally they showed the trailer for "Dr. Sleep" before the film (which was excellent IMHO). Seeing it on the big screen with the Dolby sound and all just got me even more pumped to see this film when it comes out!!!!!!!

MikeDuke
10-07-2019, 03:00 PM
I think they will do a good job with Dr. Sleep. Like I said, not having read the book is probably a bummer, but that's usually the way things go with me.

Jon
10-07-2019, 11:47 PM

Clearly, I'm going to have to order some drinks for this movie then.
I am officially excited about the movie.

mae
10-09-2019, 08:27 AM
https://cdn2-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/gallery/doctor-sleep_1/doctorsleep.jpg

herbertwest
10-09-2019, 08:45 AM
So the movie gets the "Stephen King's" title?

CyberGhostface
10-09-2019, 09:30 AM
I'm not crazy about these posters. Kind of dreading all the "'member Kubrick's 'The Shining'?" that they seem to be doing.

mattgreenbean
10-09-2019, 11:26 AM
The next chapter, like It Chapter 2...

RichardX
10-09-2019, 12:19 PM
I have ZERO hope for this movie. My insider pal said they did do some re-shoots and he went back for a audience review and hated it just as much. He said they are trying to save it with lots of Shining footage but it doesn't... it is one I will probably skip unless there is a miracle in the final edits.

That is my fear. Typical Hollywood dreck. Cobbled together formulas designed to exploit the Kubrick movie but doing the opposite and bombing. I hope I'm wrong but the trailer and posters seem to point in that direction. I'm actually a bit more excited for this movie after meeting Danny Lloyd but my expectations are very low. And to be honest, the book wasn't that great. Another warmed over King effort with all the usual King characters and storylines he is recycling over and over now.

kingfan2323
10-10-2019, 12:12 AM
There is more of The Shining in that most recent poster than there is in the entire Dr. Sleep book.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

Brian861
10-10-2019, 09:50 AM
There is more of The Shining in that most recent poster than there is in the entire Dr. Sleep book.

In the minority that I loved the book (Dr. Sleep) and hated the movie (The Shining) so this doesn't bode well for me.

Merlin1958
10-10-2019, 05:27 PM

In the minority that I loved the book (Dr. Sleep) and hated the movie (The Shining) so this doesn't bode well for me.

I'm wit you!! However I have high hopes for this film, despite, Webstar's insight offered. I'll be going and either be pleased as punch or, disappointed and feeling like I was punched!!!

kingfan2323
10-10-2019, 06:55 PM

I'm wit you!! However I have high hopes for this film, despite, Webstar's insight offered. I'll be going and either be pleased as punch or, disappointed and feeling like I was punched!!!I guess there is no winning with me because I was disappointed in the book for not being "Shining" enough and ripping the poster for being too ""Shining" ughh. I'm an ass! Ha!

The main issue: I wanted King to write a true sequal to the Shining not Mike Flanagan.

Brian861
10-10-2019, 10:09 PM

I'm wit you!! However I have high hopes for this film, despite, Webstar's insight offered. I'll be going and either be pleased as punch or, disappointed and feeling like I was punched!!!

Same here!

Sai Sheb
10-11-2019, 12:35 AM
No matter what happens love it or hate it it can not be as bad as TDT... I loved the shinning book, I also loved the film despite the fact it only loosely followed the book.. also really liked Dr sleep book... withhold judgment on ewan until I see it (on the big screen) but again compared to TDT its gotta be better.

Merlin1958
10-11-2019, 02:28 PM

I'm wit you!! However I have high hopes for this film, despite, Webstar's insight offered. I'll be going and either be pleased as punch or, disappointed and feeling like I was punched!!!I guess there is no winning with me because I was disappointed in the book for not being "Shining" enough and ripping the poster for being too ""Shining" ughh. I'm an ass! Ha!

The main issue: I wanted King to write a true sequal to the Shining not Mike Flanagan.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts regarding "What you wanted from, King" in Dr.Sleep. We can do it via PM so as to not derail the thread. If you would be so inclined.

No matter what happens love it or hate it it can not be as bad as TDT... I loved the shinning book, I also loved the film despite the fact it only loosely followed the book.. also really liked Dr sleep book... withhold judgment on ewan until I see it (on the big screen) but again compared to TDT its gotta be better.

Gotta agree with both of you here regarding TDT Movie. IMHO that was an even bigger rape of a King novel than even, Kubrick!!!! lol lol

Please take notice that I highlighted "IMHO".

herbertwest
10-21-2019, 05:37 AM
Mike Flanagan is interested in adapting 2 other books by King...
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/stephenking/comments/dl0nk0/mike_flanagan_is_interested_by_2_other_books_by/

CyberGhostface
10-21-2019, 08:54 AM
I'd trust Mike Flanagan with anything at this point.

Gotta agree with both of you here regarding TDT Movie. IMHO that was an even bigger rape of a King novel than even, Kubrick!!!! lol lol

Yeah. If The Shining is per King's analogy the beautiful car with the engine torn out then the Dark Tower film is that car covered in bird poop and beaten with a baseball bat.

Jon
10-21-2019, 09:22 PM

I had the same feelings.

Ari_Racing
10-22-2019, 02:47 PM
I saw the film today and I liked it a lot! It's pretty faithful to the book (of course it has differences, one that's major but I won't spoil it here) and while it's lenght is not short, I never grew tired of it and enjoyed it 'til the end.

I saw three easter eggs inside, all related to one particular SK work.

Sai Sheb
10-25-2019, 12:51 AM
I saw the film today and I liked it a lot! It's pretty faithful to the book (of course it has differences, one that's major but I won't spoil it here) and while it's lenght is not short, I never grew tired of it and enjoyed it 'til the end.

Sounds great Ari. Just secured my tickets for Wednesday 30th... cant wait.

Merlin1958
10-25-2019, 01:13 PM

As usual very jealous of you, Ari!!!! lol Can't wait to see this for myself!!

CyberGhostface
10-30-2019, 10:59 AM
It’s getting good reviews so far.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doctor_sleep/

webstar1000
10-30-2019, 11:16 AM

WOW. I am shocked... I heard such bad things. I AM NOW officially excited.

CyberGhostface
10-30-2019, 12:59 PM
I never doubted Flanagan. If there’s a lukewarm response it’s because people want The Shining Part 2 and that’s not what King wrote. But Flanagan is one of the best working horror directors. It was never going to be a cheap cash in like some have suggested.

Sai Sheb
10-30-2019, 02:33 PM
So I saw it tonight and holy shit it was brilliant..
The acting was great and I was wrong about McGregor he was brilliant... loved it...
There were times I felt like a little kid again.
One of the best SK films ive seen...

herbertwest
10-31-2019, 01:59 AM
Absolutely LOVED it.
Think of DOCTOR SLEEP in the universe of Kubrick. And IT WORKS !

Merlin1958
10-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Absolutely LOVED it.
Think of DOCTOR SLEEP in the universe of Kubrick. And IT WORKS !

:clap::clap::clap:

mae
10-31-2019, 02:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZWFOKoP4Rk

Merlin1958
10-31-2019, 04:51 PM
Great review and post, Mae!!!!!!

Jon
11-01-2019, 02:14 AM

WOW. I am shocked... I heard such bad things. I AM NOW officially excited.

Yup. I took the day off!

RichardX
11-01-2019, 04:43 AM
I'm surprised but happy to hear all the great reviews. I had pretty low expectations based on the trailer.

Ari_Racing
11-01-2019, 11:11 AM
I've just returned from an incredible experience in LA, including meeting part of the cast, talking with Mike Flanagan and walking de Red Carpet. I'll post more details soon but I think everyone will love this film!

webstar1000
11-01-2019, 11:12 AM
I hope so. OF ALL Kings work... this is my least favourite book. The only one I struggled to get through. I flat out hated it.

Scoogs
11-01-2019, 12:26 PM
I knew they were recreating a lot of the Kubrick footage, but this article goes into more detail about what was reshot and what was original.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1197501/doctor-sleep-spoilers-3-scenes-from-the-shining-in-doctor-sleep-mike-flanagan

mae
11-01-2019, 04:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLNu20Rgn3U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTCxVkuMXmQ

Merlin1958
11-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Great stuff as usual, Mae!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

craigobau
11-02-2019, 07:27 AM
Another thumbs up from me for Doctor Sleep.

One of the best SK adaptations I've seen.

The incorporation of material to sequel Kubrick's The Shining fits perfect and looked great.

Favourite line from the film...."I have to wake it up"!

M_O_O_N
11-02-2019, 07:46 AM
I'll be going to the first showing of Dr. Sleep on Thursday. I've never been to a first show before so maybe there will be some promotional items given out. I can then join the madness here in collecting even more stuff.... :scared:

Oh, and I did enjoy the book.

Garrell
11-02-2019, 08:09 AM
Looking forward to it. Loved the book, more than The Shining. Don't shoot me.

webstar1000
11-02-2019, 08:24 AM

Anyone got a gun emoji? Lol

Kongo
11-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Damn, you guys are doing a good job of hyping me up. Can't wait to hear those details Ari. Sounds like you had an amazing time

Brian861
11-02-2019, 09:46 AM

:shoot:

I really like the book as well. It balances out the universe because Kris hated it and I didn't care for Brother :)

webstar1000
11-02-2019, 09:47 AM

:shoot:

I really like the book as well. It balances out the universe because Kris hated it and I didn't care for Brother :)

Lol

mae
11-02-2019, 05:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdqvDQOBw1U

webstar1000
11-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Shocked everyone loved this move. I couldn’t wait for it to end just like the book. 4/10

M_O_O_N
11-08-2019, 07:44 PM
As I said in another thread it had me with the first four notes.

Yeah, I noticed some of the Easter eggs in it. There are some other things happening if one pays attention. But...

There was one minor scene where I felt my plush stadium theater seat fall out from under me. I simply began observing the scene and no longer listening to the dialog. I was thinking, "WTF? I've been here before. I KNOW I've been here before."

That is what made the movie for me.

And I'm not doing a spoiler. :evil:

mae
11-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Saw it today and enjoyed it. Some great scenes, very good acting. Shot beautifully. Everyone should definitely go see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rQ42yX6p20

Heather19
11-10-2019, 07:11 AM
I really enjoyed the movie, and that's saying a lot since I wasn't a fan of the book at all. I loved how they took a lot of nods from the film version of The Shining and incorporated it into this film. I went to see it with my boyfriend who's only seen The Shining, and hasn't read either book and he really enjoyed it as well. He thought it was a good sequel to the movie, so I do think it was a good choice to merge the two together. There is one thing I wish they had incorporated into the movie but overall I thought Flanagan did a great job with it.

Ricky
11-10-2019, 10:35 AM
I really want to see it but still haven't read the book. I wanted to re-read The Shining before diving into Doctor Sleep, so the commitment of the two long-ish books (with all the other books on my to-read list) is what keeps bumping it back down the list.

CyberGhostface
11-10-2019, 01:24 PM
I'm sad to hear it's not doing too well. Mike Flanagan is a great director; hope he can still get big projects.

Merlin1958
11-10-2019, 02:34 PM
I'm sad to hear it's not doing too well. Mike Flanagan is a great director; hope he can still get big projects.

They probably should have opened more in time for Halloween, no? Its gotten good reviews from what I have seen. Go figure, right? Seems to me it was a strange opening for a Horror film after Halloween when ur going right into the Xmas season which, I would think is not a prime time for Horror films. Then again there is a reason why I'm not a big shot movie producer!!! lol lol

Kongo
11-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Ironically The Shining wasn't a box office success either. This movie will still be destined to become a cult classic regardless

webstar1000
11-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Ironically The Shining wasn't a box office success either. This movie will still be destined to become a cult classic regardless

Cult classic? This movie was no where near the Shinning in any way. The only scene that gave me chills was the drive to the Overlook with the music playing. This movie could have been on Netflix and probably should of. Much like Gerald’s Game. It was ok but no classic... just my opinion of course.

Kongo
11-10-2019, 05:27 PM

Cult classic? This movie was no where near the Shinning in any way. The only scene that gave me chills was the drive to the Overlook with the music playing. This movie could have been on Netflix and probably should of. Much like Gerald’s Game. It was ok but no classic... just my opinion of course.

The guy who actively hates on both movie and book disagreeing, shocking. Yeah, yeah, we get it. You really hated it :lol:

webstar1000
11-10-2019, 05:31 PM

The guy who actively hates on both movie and book disagreeing, shocking. Yeah, yeah, we get it. You really hated it :lol:

No I didn’t hate it. I didn’t like it either. I found it too long and I’m sorry I don’t agree with you.... no need to get your panties in a bunch. Haha

Kongo
11-10-2019, 05:51 PM

No I didn’t hate it. I didn’t like it either. I found it too long and I’m sorry I don’t agree with you.... no need to get your panties in a bunch. Haha

Boy is my face red

CyberGhostface
11-10-2019, 06:03 PM

They probably should have opened more in time for Halloween, no? Its gotten good reviews from what I have seen. Go figure, right? Seems to me it was a strange opening for a Horror film after Halloween when ur going right into the Xmas season which, I would think is not a prime time for Horror films. Then again there is a reason why I'm not a big shot movie producer!!! lol lol

Yeah admittedly even as a sequel to the Shining it doesn't scream 'box office success'. That and it's largely been advertised as a sequel to an almost forty year old film (that isn't part of a franchise), classic or not.

I still think Flanagan should have remade The Shining (he has the talent) and then did this. Kubrick's film isn't some sacred cow.

M_O_O_N
11-10-2019, 06:05 PM
...I still think Flanagan should have remade The Shining...
IMHO, in some small way he did.

RUBE
11-10-2019, 09:04 PM
I really liked the movie. I thought the actress for Rose was great. The imagery on the scenes taking place in the character's minds were amazing (particularly the entire scene with Rose searching for Abra and falling in her trap.)

Unfortunately, there was hardly anyone in the theater with us and the box office numbers show this happened everywhere. It's no wonder Hollywood only wants to make superhero movies now. (Funny but this is actually more of a superhero tale than a horror movie when you think about it: individuals with special powers fighting it out with half the action on the astral plane.)

Bev Vincent
11-11-2019, 09:28 AM
First time I've seen this detail: Warners was so keen on Doctor Sleep that movie studio chief Toby Emmerich had already struck a deal with director Mike Flanagan and his Intrepid Pictures to script a sequel whose working title is Hallorann, drawn from the character who appears in both The Shining and Doctor Sleep.

>>> Source (hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-doctor-sleeps-dismal-14m-debut-terrifies-hollywood-1253734)

Merlin1958
11-11-2019, 04:12 PM

Yeah admittedly even as a sequel to the Shining it doesn't scream 'box office success'. That and it's largely been advertised as a sequel to an almost forty year old film (that isn't part of a franchise), classic or not.

I still think Flanagan should have remade The Shining (he has the talent) and then did this. Kubrick's film isn't some sacred cow.

He probably should give it a go. Personally, I think, Kubrik's film is a piece of shit. IMHO he murdered a classic horror novel and I just don't get the folks that claim it's a "Masterpiece of Horror film making". Though, I would suppose that the folks that never read the book see it in a whole other way than those that have read it. With apologies to, Webstar I feel that, Kubrik's film isn't even worthy of Netflix however maybe that's a bit harsh. Netflix carries some God awful films in my opinion. Let me stress that these thoughts are just my opinions.

Flanagan, seems to be a really good film maker in the horror genre and will probably get better with time. Why not do another version of "The Shining" so that they can "Update the source material for a new generation" like they seem to be doing with every decent film they can get their hands on these days!!! lol lol He likely couldn't do any worse than, Kubrik did. Or perhaps, the guy who did "IT" could take a shot. He seems very capable.

M_O_O_N
11-11-2019, 04:22 PM
First time I've seen this detail: Warners was so keen on Doctor Sleep that movie studio chief Toby Emmerich had already struck a deal with director Mike Flanagan and his Intrepid Pictures to script a sequel whose working title is Hallorann, drawn from the character who appears in both The Shining and Doctor Sleep.

Well, Halloran did say in the Doctor Sleep movie, "Ka is a wheel."

RUBE
11-11-2019, 04:53 PM
He also said to him the Overlook's ghosts were just pictures. So where is the action in that. It would have to be some origin story where he used his telepathy before going to the Overlook.

Anyway, it isn't going to happen with these box office numbers.

CyberGhostface
11-12-2019, 05:55 PM
I just saw it. I liked it as much as I figured I would given the source material; it didn't blow me away like some of other Flanagan's material but to be fair the book didn't either.

I've said my views on the Kubrick fanservice a few times now and it hasn't changed but they made it work as well as it could.

Ewan McGregor was a fine Danny but Rebecca Ferguson stole the show.

Regarding the ending...

In theory I like the idea of reintroducing the book's ending but in execution it was just rushed. Even in the Kubrick film where Jack was a few screws loose it took the entire film for him to go crazy.

Here Danny who is for all intents fairly well-adjusted, in complete control of his mental facilities and even able to resist the temptation of the hotel's booze just needs to be touched by the ghosts for him to go full "Heeere's Johnny".

Brainslinger
11-13-2019, 03:41 PM
Regarding the ending...

In theory I like the idea of reintroducing the book's ending but in execution it was just rushed. Even in the Kubrick film where Jack was a few screws loose it took the entire film for him to go crazy.

Here Danny who is for all intents fairly well-adjusted, in complete control of his mental facilities and even able to resist the temptation of the hotel's booze just needs to be touched by the ghosts for him to go full "Heeere's Johnny".

Here’s my take on it:
Having opened all his mind boxes, all ghosts were there and came for him at once. He was overwhelmed and possessed quickly by the Overlook. In the case of his father, it was a more gradual process as the Overlook and it’s residents took their time with him. Also factor in the fact the ghosts had been trapped for a long while and were starving, and Danny (having a stronger shine than his father) was more vulnerable in some ways, although that power also enabled him to fight back better in others.

I saw the film last Sunday and enjoyed it a lot. I thought they could have done more with the True Knot folk, although Rose the Hat was fantastic, and The Crow and Snakebite... thingy had their moments. Also kind of wish they’d shown Danny’s father in a more sympathetic light, like they did at the end of both novels, rather than just another evil resident of the hotel, but considering how the film version of the Shining ended, it makes sense.

Overall, I really thought it was great! It’s a shame it didn’t do so well in the box-office. I liked it better than It Chapter 2, and that was pretty good. I didn’t find it particularly scary, but I didn’t think it was really about that. A couple of the hospice scenes made me feel rather emotional, in a good way, and there was one scene that horrified me. I don’t mean horrified in the scared sense, I mean more in the shocked and disturbed way. If you have seen the film, or read the book, you’ll likely know the scene I mean. To be fair it’s not overtly gory or gratuitous, but I kind of wish it wasn’t there, yet accept it is required to emphasise the depth of evil the True Knot is guilty of. Job done, I guess, but... that was awful. And it was meant to be.

Hoping the films popularity picks up.

Garrell
11-13-2019, 06:35 PM
Just saw it and loved it. One of the best King adaptations done IMHO. I would delve more into it but don’t wanna ruin it for others.

Shannon
11-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Rose and I just finished the movie. I gave it a 3/5. I haven't read the book, so I have a question.

Throughout the movie, Abra is shown multiple times to be stronger than Rose the Hat, so why were her and Danny so worried about her at the climax?