PDA

View Full Version : The It remake

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

razz
05-14-2008, 06:12 AM
-

Rjeso
05-14-2008, 06:20 AM
If it's being redone by the SciFi folks, it's going to be as much of a winner as the original.

jayson
05-14-2008, 06:21 AM
So I hear they are working on a remake of IT on scifi. any news or thoughts.

enough with remakes already. people should get their own ideas.

Rjeso
05-14-2008, 06:26 AM
The upside is that it won't have John-Boy as Bill. :dance:

The downside, besides it being done by SciFi, is that it won't have Jonathan Brandis as Bill. :(

sarah
05-14-2008, 06:42 AM
well it couldn't possibly be worse than the Mini Series of IT. Why not give it a try and see?

Jimmy
05-14-2008, 06:43 AM
If it's the Sci Fi channel that's re-making it, prepare for style over substance.

Rjeso
05-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Mmm-hmm. I was so excited for Tin Man when it was first being advertised. It was SUCH a disappointment story-wise, but it was pretty to look at... Seems to be the case for everything they do.

sarah
05-14-2008, 06:53 AM
I meant to get into Tin Man. I had it DVR'd for about two months before I erased it to make room. I started and tried to watch it but it never got going enough for me.

As for IT, there is just so much story there to tell and they could quite possibly mess it up while trying so hard to make it "good"

Rjeso
05-14-2008, 07:05 AM
I agree, it'll have to be better than the first mini-series, only because the aforementioned absence of Richard Thomas. :lol: Still, since IT is one of my favorite King stories, I don't think I'll make myself watch it being butchered once again. If someone were willing to make a full-on movie of it/IT (preferably two or even three movies, since there's so much to tell), I'd be much more excited. As is... not so much.

obscurejude
05-14-2008, 07:57 AM
In regards to the original, the scenes when they were children were well casted and very good. If Sci Fi could get the adult part right, it might be something to write home about.

Rjeso
05-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Yeah, the kids were great in the first one. They were what kept me watching, and I was sad that there wasn't equal focus on the childhood happenings, since to me, the stuff that happened when they were kids was by far the best.

MonteGss
05-14-2008, 08:00 AM
I agree with you jude...the children scenes were much better than the adult scenes....JOHN BOY!!!! AHHHHHHH! John Ritter and that judge from Night Court? Um, no thanks.

IT is my favorite non-Tower book and even though remakes are going overboard, I'm sure this one will be better than The Stand miniseries. :)

obscurejude
05-14-2008, 08:03 AM
I think a re make might be able to do better justice to the Ritual of Chud and the deadlights and all that.

Gosh, Jonathon Brandis played an awesome young Bill. All the kids were great. The Baronies were just like I pictured them. The first half was fantastic for me.

devo133
05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
The ending to the original IT was horrible. Most of it was great but the ending was just so anticlimatic. Pennywise turning a big cheesy spider? come on... it seemed like an ending from a bad B movie. Maybe they'll get rid of the spider in the new version. Better yet keep the original version which was perfect until the end and just redo the ending.

Rjeso
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Haha, it WAS the ending to a bad B movie. The movie was just split up into several bits, that's all.

Heather19
05-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I would love to see a remake of this one done, but I think the only way it could really be done well would be to make a series out of it. 10 episodes 1 season, toss it on HBO, and we could get something really good. It's just too much story to put into a theatrical film, or even a miniseries.

Woofer
05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Count me in the "love to see this remade" crowd. :dance:

Alas, also count me in the "if SciFi is doing this, it'll be more flash than substance" crowd. :cry:

RUBE
05-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't know about recent mini-series from SciFi but Taken was pretty damn good and it had both substance and style.

Woofer
05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Tin Man was a SciFi channel miniseries. I lost interest early. Called a "re-imagining" of L. Frank Baum's novel, Tin Man felt forced and awkward and had none of the magic of the original. Not only were the characters stiff and unbelievable, but the plot was so twisted that it played more as a piece of fan fiction than as a reimagining. Additionally, SciFi channel movies such as Rock Monster, Troll, The Serpent King, and S.S. Doomtrooper do not bode well for IT.

Jimmy
05-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I love science fiction. I LOVE it. Probably my favorite genre in movies, tv, books, comics, video games, breakfast cereals, you name it.

I even watch Smallville for god's sake.

But, I DO NOT watch the Sci Fi channel. If that doesn't prove their production values as being somewhere in the negative numbers, than nothing will.

RUBE
05-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Wow, their shows must really suck then. As I said before, the only series I watched on that channel was Taken and I liked it. However, that was four years ago and I think Spielberg or someone big had a hand in it. Plus it had Dakota Fanning and that girl can act.

razz
05-18-2008, 05:36 PM
i liked Tin Man. I really enjoyed it.
since they're remaking It, maybe Seth Green can play the ADULT Richie this time.

Old Man Splitfoot
05-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not too worried that Sci Fi can do It justice. On the one hand, Sci Fi Channel original movies are always so horrible (but damnit, they just keep on trying), but there's also Battlestar Galactica, which is awesome. But personally, not even the childhood portion of the original worked for me; only Beverly's exposure to It was even similar to what it should have been. I know, I know, the book and movie usually only hold a slight resemblence, but It is one of my favorite books. I've read It more than 20 times; lost count at 12 back in the 9th grade. I want to see it done RIGHT.

razz
05-19-2008, 05:24 AM
how do you define right? some guy like speilburg or *shudders* shamylan?
if it's him, it'll have more twists than a stoner buildin' a roller coaster.

Woofer
05-19-2008, 05:31 AM
since they're remaking It, maybe Seth Green can play the ADULT Richie this time.

I'll buy that bit of casting.

<3 Seth Green :rose:

razz
05-19-2008, 07:52 AM
they need to focus mor on Chud, than on the silver.

Heather19
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
IT is my favourite King book so id love to see another version of it.
As others have mentioned i really enjoyed the first part of IT , with the children.
Dont think any actor would better Tm Curry's Pennywise though.

agreed, Tim Curry was perfect in that role

Woofer
05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
As others have mentioned i really enjoyed the first part of IT , with the children.

Oh absolutely! When I say the adults were inappropriately cast, I mean the Losers Club as adults. Tim Curry, as always, was fabulous!

razz
05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
but they better make his trick better too. maybe make them more like the book occurences.
and the first movie didn't really focuse on the closeness of the kids and how it was their will and *shudders* friendship helped to defeat it, as well as their belief that such things as silver bullets (or slugs) would work on the monster.

Jimmy
05-19-2008, 06:47 PM

Oh absolutely! When I say the adults were inappropriately cast, I mean the Losers Club as adults. Tim Curry, as always, was fabulous!

John Ritter was pretty good, I thought.

Empath of the White
05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
I'd love to see a remake. Three things that better be left in:

1.) The entirety of the climax: the storm that hit Derry when the Losers' Club vanquished It and the presence of the Turtle from when the Losers were kids are especially important.

2.) The twisted story of Patrick Hockstetter(sp?) and the entirety of the part when Henry deep-sixed his father. Both were the most horrifying parts of the novel for me.

3.) Deadlights and once more for emphasis...the TURTLE! :angry:

Leave them out and I'll just stick with the old one, say thankya. Curry and Green did great with their parts. Green especially.

Old Man Splitfoot
05-21-2008, 02:57 PM
how do you define right? some guy like speilburg or *shudders* shamylan?
if it's him, it'll have more twists than a stoner buildin' a roller coaster.

By "done right", I mean more than a vague resembelence to the book, and well acted. So many of the Loser's Club members's encounters with It in the movie were rediculous. Ben, for example. Some guy in an Air Force uniform calls out to him, and he instantly assumes it's his dead father? Wtf? And most of the others weren't any better. I think Beverly was the only one that was remotely close to being right.

razz
05-21-2008, 03:00 PM
true, true...

Matticus-Finch
07-13-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm with Heather19. Make it well and THOROUGHLY and split that mother into 10 hour long episodes.

It's the best book I've ever read. Please don't subject me to a horrible piece of mediocre film making...

And no Johnathan Brandis....makes me sad.

Ves'Ka Gan
07-14-2008, 12:23 PM

I'll buy that bit of casting.

<3 Seth Green :rose:

I'd have to watch it in that case. I had the BIGGEST crush on Seth Green as Richie when I was a kid. (Yeah, I had a crush on the geeky red-head...).

I would be interested to see a remake, but I do agree that it will probably be disappointing. The only Sci-Fi channel stuff I tend to like is the stuff they buy from other networks and re-air. Although I did like their version of Dune better than the original.

dori
07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
the kids were the best part in the original and the only reason the film was worth watching. Maybe now the actors are all grown up they could now play the adult losers club, apart from stuttering Bill of course they would have to find a good replacment for jonathan brandis he was brilliant. I cried when i heard he had died i had a massive crush on him. Of course tim curry is till around for pennywise.

Tiffany
07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't know what I think of Sci-Fi doing this, especially after having watched their movies such as "Frankenfish."

razz
07-24-2008, 12:36 PM
:rofl:
scifi has made some good movies. i really liked rock monster. but then some of them are just cliches

theBeamisHome
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Sci-fi Channel???? need i remind anyone of the atrocity that was The Langoliers??? :scared:

Heather19
07-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Is there actually any confimation to this being remade, and that scifi is behind it, because I haven't been able to find anything.

razz
07-24-2008, 07:07 PM
i know this won't happen (it's a scifi film remember?) but now that he's grown up, Seth green should play the adult Richie. also they seem to be remaking Children of the Korn.

Brice
07-25-2008, 05:48 AM
also they seem to be remaking Children of the Korn.

:scared:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/korn-01.jpg

Now, THAT is scary!!!! :panic:

razz
07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0032.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Ben
03-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Not sure if I like this news or not.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40411

http://chud.com/articles/articles/18479/1/WARNER-BROTHERS-CALLS-TIM-CURRY-JUST-WANTS-TO-BORROW-HIS-CLOWN-SUIT/Page1.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i25f8fdbe2f089f96d4d87462872c2b28

jayson
03-13-2009, 04:39 AM
It doesn't sound particularly promising to me.

gsvec
03-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Doesn't thrill me either. Sounds like something I'd wait to watch until it shows up somewhere on cable. :(

Bev Vincent
03-13-2009, 05:39 AM
From Dread Central (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/30802/stephen-kings-it-remake-going-theatrical) via Hollywood Reporter and Variety.

Warner Bros. isn't clowning around on the remake front as it is sending everyone's favorite clown Pennywise back into the spotlight for a theatrical redux of Stephen King's novel IT to be produced by Lin Pictures and Vertigo Entertainment.

According to The Hollywood Reporter Dave Kajganich (The Invasion) has been brought on to pen the script, "which follows a group of kids called the Losers Club that encounter a creature called It, which preys on children and whose favorite form is that of a sadistic clown called Pennywise. When the creature resurfaces, the kids are called upon to regroup again, this time as adults, even though they have no memory of the first battle."

In a twist (because oh, how Hollywood loves a twist) even though the book and the TV mini-series were set in 1958 and 1985, this feature version will take place predominantly in the present day. Hell, who needs backstory and character development? Am I right? At the very least maybe Dave will be able to fix that really dumb ending. A giant spider? Really?

Kajganich will also be writing both the Pet Semetary and Escape From New York remakes. Keep it here for more.

mae
03-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Why so glum? It can't be worse than the 1990 miniseries. Even though I only saw the beginning of that, I turned it off in disgust even without having read the book. It was so bad, in so many ways.

More regurgitated news: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/12/holy-sht-warner-brothers-is-remaking-stephen-kings-it/

jayson
03-13-2009, 05:58 AM
You're right Pablo it can't be worse than the miniseries. Still, "not worse than the miniseries" is not quite something to look forward to. It's like saying getting shot by a firing squad is not as bad as being tortured to death. Either way, the end result is the same. :)

jayson
03-13-2009, 06:01 AM
From Dread Central (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/30802/stephen-kings-it-remake-going-theatrical) via Hollywood Reporter and Variety.

Warner Bros. isn't clowning around on the remake front as it is sending everyone's favorite clown Pennywise back into the spotlight for a theatrical redux of Stephen King's novel IT to be produced by Lin Pictures and Vertigo Entertainment.

According to The Hollywood Reporter Dave Kajganich (The Invasion) has been brought on to pen the script, "which follows a group of kids called the Losers Club that encounter a creature called It, which preys on children and whose favorite form is that of a sadistic clown called Pennywise. When the creature resurfaces, the kids are called upon to regroup again, this time as adults, even though they have no memory of the first battle."

In a twist (because oh, how Hollywood loves a twist) even though the book and the TV mini-series were set in 1958 and 1985, this feature version will take place predominantly in the present day. Hell, who needs backstory and character development? Am I right? At the very least maybe Dave will be able to fix that really dumb ending. A giant spider? Really?

Kajganich will also be writing both the Pet Semetary and Escape From New York remakes. Keep it here for more.

Yeah, only suckers want the ending King wrote.

I also see from that last line there will be a Pet Sematary remake. Must everything be remade? Why is it the leading trend in Hollywood to make "cover movies?" I always wanted to be a director. I suppose I should just start working on remaking existing movies. Originality is no longer needed.

lophophoras
03-13-2009, 06:02 AM
I'm not sure about this either.

At least I am not the only one that is skeptical.

flaggwalkstheline
03-13-2009, 06:56 AM
It doesnt lend itself well to the screen, the 1990s miniseries is extra sad because watching it (I have) it looks like they really TRIED to make it good but just couldnt

mae
03-13-2009, 07:06 AM
It doesnt lend itself well to the screen

I don't know exactly why, but King's work in general doesn't.

DanishCollector
03-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Another unnecessary remake with lots of references to (and appearances and use of) cell phones, the Internet, etc. As they did with Carrie and 'Salem's Lot, and probably also with Children of the Corn.

mae
03-13-2009, 09:35 AM
These articles also mention a Pet Sematary remake, and that one is indeed unneeded, because the original movie is a classic. I doubt they can do a much better job.

jayson
03-13-2009, 10:04 AM
These articles also mention a Pet Sematary remake, and that one is indeed unneeded, because the original movie is a classic. I doubt they can do a much better job.

Even if they could make it better (and I agree, they can't) it's still unnecessary. Remaking existing movies is a cop out masking a lack of originality. I have strong enough feelings about adaptations in general, but re-adapting someone else's adaptation is pretty uninspired.

Daghain
03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Seconded.

ClicheGuevara
03-13-2009, 10:24 AM
huh, nope won't be paying to see that one. . .:lol:

razz
03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
actually, i have this good idea for a horror film. wonder how it would work though...:orely:

DanishCollector
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Why don't they remake King movies that were bad to start with, like The Running Man? Although not King related, they are also remaking just about all of John Carpenter's movies. The remake of The Fog was so bad I felt like throwing up...on the other hand, I knew it would suck and it made me love the original even more.

Randall Flagg
03-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Moving this to Gem Theater. Thanks.

Brainslinger
03-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I actually quite liked the original version of IT. Not as good as the book certainly, but there was some seriously creepy stuff earlier on.

I found this on one of those websites, which I found a bit irritating. I'll spoilerize it in case you don't know the story.

If you had to hire a bunch of kids to take turns having sex with an underage girl in order to banish a demon, who would you pick?

I know that a group sex scene happened in the book, and I didn't approve of it. But it had nothing to do with defeating the monster! They had already done that (ok temporarily it turned out) by that time. And as such it can be left out of the film I think. It's certainly not crucial to the story.

It's a small issue, but I wish they'd get there story facts right. Another site mentioned the monster being called 'It'. I always figured that was just the way the kids and people referred to it rather than having noun status.

Ok, I've gone way too far into nerd mode now....

LadyHitchhiker
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm willing to try it but I don't know how they're going to have the movie without Tim Curry... what a man... :wub:

RUBE
03-13-2009, 02:48 PM
There would have to be some serious condensing to make it into one movie. It would be cool if the actually battle involving the ritual of Chud was in the movie not the ending they had in the mini-series. One thing will stay the same for sure. There is no way they will show how the children "bond" to find their way out of the sewers.

sleeplessdwarf
03-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I actually quite liked the original version of IT. Not as good as the book certainly, but there was some seriously creepy stuff earlier on.

I found this on one of those websites, which I found a bit irritating. I'll spoilerize it in case you don't know the story.

If you had to hire a bunch of kids to take turns having sex with an underage girl in order to banish a demon, who would you pick?I know that a group sex scene happened in the book, and I didn't approve of it. But it had nothing to do with defeating the monster! They had already done that (ok temporarily it turned out) by that time. And as such it can be left out of the film I think. It's certainly not crucial to the story.

It's a small issue, but I wish they'd get there story facts right. Another site mentioned the monster being called 'It'. I always figured that was just the way the kids and people referred to it rather than having noun status.

Ok, I've gone way too far into nerd mode now....

I did not like it that much but it was no worse than Stand by me imo.

Heather19
03-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Well let's just hope this never sees the light of day. And I think it could easily turn out to be alot worse than the miniseries. Think about it, that at least had a runtime of about 190 min. If this is going to the theaters it's going to have a much shorter runtime, which means even more of the story would have to be edited out. And I just don't think that would translate well to the screen.

The only way I think that it could be done properly, would be to make a series out of it, and toss it on HBO or similar channel. I think those series typically have about 13 episodes per season, with a runtime of around 50 min minus the credits. Which would give us about 10-11 hours of actual footage. They could easily adapt the whole story, and being on a cable channel they would have a lot more leeway to show scenes of a more graphic nature.

sleeplessdwarf
03-13-2009, 06:54 PM
I agree with the guys who have said that most of King's stories do not turn out well on the big screen. I use to think it was the goofy effects that were around but we know this is not the case now. I am just now into the DT series so today was the first time I have read Childe Roland. It is so easy to see where King's mind might have been while reading this. Why is so hard for the movie guys to understand King's mind?

Brice
03-14-2009, 06:06 AM
There would have to be some serious condensing to make it into one movie. It would be cool if the actually battle involving the ritual of Chud was in the movie not the ending they had in the mini-series. One thing will stay the same for sure. There is no way they will show how the children "bond" to find their way out of the sewers.

It's in the director's cut. :rofl:

actually, i have this good idea for a horror film. wonder how it would work though...:orely:

Good, I'll start working on the remake of it. :lol:

Dave!
03-14-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree. I hate the fact that the adaptations of his stories end up sucking so badly on the big screen (or small screen). For those who have not read the stories it leaves a bad taste in their mouth about his work, and in turn they lose interest. A lot of people I know who have never read a King story, but have seen the poor adaptations have the same statements: "I just can't get into SK." or "It didn't seem that good to me. I don't see what you see in his stuff." or even "SK's stuff just sucks!" I've voiced pretty much this same sentiment (as far as the general public's replies) on the DT movie thread. I think that the hard part of having a good story line is done for these guys. All they have to do is use the story/book as a good guideline for the scenes and go with it with good casting and staying true to the storyline. But somehow it gets lost in translation somehow. I'll check it out, as I feel I HAVE to, being a fan and all. But we shall see. I agree that Tim Burton did an outstanding job, even if a little over-acted at times. The Stand adaptation was not that great, although they tried. They had to keep it too "clean" or something is why it wasn't as good as it could have been. I can't seem to put my finger on why it just didn't seem "right" to me when I watched it. Yeah, I own it. Watched it a couple of times, trying to get around what it is. I hope this might end up better than the miniseries of It that once was. But time will tell. And on a side note, I sincerely hope that if they ever do decide to make a cinematic version of the DT series that they can do it justice. They would have to make each movie a feature length film to do so, so it would be like the STAR WARS installments, or the Harry Potter ones, I guess. But if they do decide to then I hope SK camps out and does a lot of "consulting" or directing, or whatever. No one better to guide it along than the man who's mind it came from in the first place.

RichardHawes
03-14-2009, 02:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7941335.stm

King's clown horror 'to be film'

When angered, King's evil clown has fangs and claws

Stephen King's clown horror novel It is to be turned into a film by studio Warner Brothers, according to industry paper The Hollywood Reporter.

The 1986 novel follows childhood friends drawn together as adults to fight the murderous clown Pennywise.

The book was made into a three-hour TV mini-series in 1990, with Tim Curry.

Since then the film rights have bounced around Hollywood, but Warners have now signed The Invasion screenwriter Dave Kajganich to adapt King's novel.

Kajganich is also working on an adaptation of King's Pet Sematary, first adapted for screen in 1989.

Pure evil

The novel It, was a best-seller when it was first published.

In the story a group of children, who call themselves the Losers, are menaced by It, a sewer-lurking creature of pure evil which can take the form of the children's greatest fears.

Nearly 30 years later, the creature returns but the adults, who promised to fight it whenever it appeared, have only hazy memories of their childhood encounters.

The miniseries was once voted the scariest TV programme of all time by Radio Times readers.

The plot was originally set in 1958 and 1985 but the film version will be set in the present day, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Great news everyone and im super excited. Heres to hoping it stays much closer to the novel though im not sure how the "group love" scene could take place.

Aaron
03-16-2009, 08:47 AM
The story is too big to tell in such a short period of time--just wont do it justice. But if they make it I will see it, because how can I not see it? But I dont have a lot of faith that it can be done right. I'm just glad that WB got it and is planning to do a feature; last I'd heard SciFi channel was going to do a two-hour TV movie, and that was definitely more frightening (not in a good way).

I think a big part of the problem is that a lot of the screenwriters and directors that make King films arent die hard fans to begin with...which limits their vision. That's why I'm so happy that JJ Abrams is going to do the DT, because he has been very vocal about being a huge fan of the series. I think a fan could get it right. Look at the high quality of all of Frank Darabont's adaptations.

The only exception to this rule, of course, is Mick Garris, who couldnt direct traffic in a one-horse town, let alone a decent movie. Fan or no, there has so be some directing ability, too.

Cort
03-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi ,I agree with lady hitchhiker Tim Curry was a damn good Pennywise, id watch the new movie just to see how it turns out but i know it will lack the same level of creepyness he gave It. Also a question if anyone can help, The film "The Mist" is that some crazy reworking of "The Fog" or a separate short story/novel i haven't heard of? :panic:

Did Frank Darabont direct "The mist"??

Aaron
03-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Frank Darabont did direct The Mist, and it is not a remake of The Fog. The Mist is an adaptation of a novella of the same name written by Stephen King. It appears in the collection Skeleton Crew. Great movie and a great story...I highly recommend both.

Cort
03-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks, glad to find that out. Now i know what to look for Nice i just ordered it for a total cost of 3 quid :)

Woofer
03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
http://blog.internetnews.com/apatrizio/do-not-want-dog.jpg

Randall Flagg
03-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info. As with many of King's works, this one is a long way off-if ever. If Warner Bros. hired a screenwriter to adapt this that is early on in the process.
Thanks for the post, but seeing as how this movie is a long way off, this will be moved to The Gem Theater with a 1 day redirect.

Heather19
03-16-2009, 04:56 PM
The only exception to this rule, of course, is Mick Garris, who couldnt direct traffic in a one-horse town, let alone a decent movie. Fan or no, there has so be some directing ability, too.

:lol:
I had to quote this because I completely agree with everything you just said.
I just wonder why he's gotten to do so many King adaptations. If you look at the films he's directed, I'd say a good half are based on King stories.

Empath of the White
03-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Darabont might be able to make a good adaption...and hey, The Dark Knight was a long movie and Warner Brothers loved it. Maybe WB will give the writer/director as much time as he needs to tell the story, and tell it truer to the book than the old one with Tim Curry,

Wuducynn
03-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Either Frank Darabont directs it or it shouldn't be done. Simple as that.

mae
04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/31149/exclusive-more-it-remake-rated-r

"The remake will be set in the mid-1980s and in the present almost equally — mirroring the twenty-odd-year gap King uses in the book — and with a great deal of care and attention paid to the backstories of all the characters. I think the real twist here is that my pitch to WB — which they've assured me they're on board for — is that this will not be PG-13. This will be R. Which means we can really honor the book and engage with the traumas (both the paranormal ones and those they deal with at home and school) that these character endure. I plan to be very protective of the book. The reality, though, is that WB wants to do this as a single film, so I will have to kill a few darlings to make that happen. You have my promise, though, that I will do this with the utmost humility and respect for King's work. He's the King, after all, and I intend to continue to pledge to him my allegiance."

Heather19
04-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't know, I still don't see how it's going to be possible to be faithful with only 1 theatrical film. So much is going to have to be cut out of it. Honestly, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't go any further. I don't want to see another bad adaptation of my favorite story.

obscurejude
04-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't know, I still don't see how it's going to be possible to be faithful with only 1 theatrical film. So much is going to have to be cut out of it. Honestly, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't go any further. I don't want to see another bad adaptation of my favorite story.

The first one was great while they were kids. Its important to remember that a book the size of IT could never be faithfully reproduced in every aspect. Its a different medium and if King is down, then I am. It could work, you never know.

Heather19
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I did enjoy the parts when they were kids, but the adult portion of the movie was terrible. I think alot of that was also due to the fact that I didn't care for the actors they chose for those roles.

I should reserve judgment until I see it, but I just don't see how it's possible. Of course, we'll see, you never know. Maybe it'll surprise me and I'll love it.

What I would love to see is a series adapted from the book. Alas, I know that'll never happen, but it could be amazing if done properly.

misterman
04-15-2009, 07:00 AM
BDN piece from early March:
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/100646.html

mae
12-23-2009, 04:07 PM
http://www.collider.com/2009/12/22/producer-dan-lin-on-the-justice-league-movie-suicide-squad-and-stephen-kings-it/

According to [Producer Dan] Lin, Dave Kajganich is turning in a draft of It over Christmas.

Brice
12-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Pablo! :D

...but please change "an" to "a" in the thread title. :panic:

mae
12-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Whoops! I guess at first I wanted to type just "an update" but then qualified it with "tiny"... :pullhair:

JameseyLefebure
12-26-2009, 03:38 PM
omg i can't wait!!
I despise the original movie and think that its literally a waste of 3 hours of my life!!!!!

I have igh hopes for this!!!

jamesey
xxx

Candice Dionysus
12-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm awaiting it with a mix of happyness and reservation of judgment. Hopefully it will impress me.

Blaine Is A Pain
12-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Another one of these were the geek in me is dying to see it get made, but then again it could turn out to be really, really bad.

mae
07-02-2010, 08:19 AM
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/01/screenwriter-gives-update-on-big-screen-adaptation-of-stephen-kings-it/

In early 2009, it was announced that Warner Bros was developing a big screen adaptation of Stephen King’s novel IT. They hired screenwriter Dave Kajganich , who wrote the initial drafts of The Invasion, to pen the screenplay adaptation. We haven’t heard much about the project since. But now we have an update, after the jump.

When I was younger, I read a lot of Stephen King books. Over the years, Hollywood has turned a lot of King’s library of work into crappy horror adaptations — The Shining and Carrie might be the two exceptions. For a writer known primarily as a horror novelist, it’s surprising that the movie adaptations of his non-horror stories, like Green Mile, Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption, are probably better known, and definitely more revered. But if you asked me when I was 11-years old, what my favorite Stephen King movie was, I would quickly tell you — the 1990 television miniseries adaptation of It. It scared me, kept me up, and I loved it. I remember rewatching the VHS copy that I had recorded off of cable, over and over again.

My biggest concern of a big screen adaptation is that I’m not sure that the property could be cut down to fit into the standard 90 or 100-minute movie. The paperback is 1,104 pages, and the miniseries clocked in at 192 minutes (over 3 hours). And if the idea of a 100 minute movie worries me. I haven’t seen It in years, and I’m sure its one of those films that doesn’t live up to my childhood memories. Could It benefit from a redo? Probably. But as a 120-minute feature film?

Screenwriter Dave Kajganich talked recently to the Stephen King fansite Lilja’s Library, providing an update on the big screen adaptation. Here is an excerpt:

When I heard Warner Bros. was going to give the novel a go theatrically, I went after the job hard. I knew the studio was committed to adapting IT as a single film, so I went back and reread the novel to see if I thought this was even possible, and to try to find a structure that would accommodate such a large number of characters in two different time periods, around 120 pages, which was another of the studio’s stipulations. Had I not worked with the producers before, I might have been more tentative about trying to pull off such a massive undertaking, but I’d worked with Dan Lin, Roy Lee, and Doug Davison on our original version of The Invasion, and I knew they would fight for good storytelling, and would also give me the time I needed to work out a solid first draft, which they did. They really went to bat for that. We’ve done some tinkering with it and I am just about to turn that draft in to the studio, so we’ll soon know a lot more. In all of my talks with the studio, it has only ever been discussed as a single feature film. The book’s length is clearly more suited to a mini-series—and I understand very well why they went that route the last time around—but I think the book’s content is really more appropriate for cinema. I told the studio from the beginning that I felt I needed to be able to write for an R rating, since I wanted to be as candid as the novel about the terrible things the characters go through as kids. They agreed and off I went. … I think the biggest difference [between the big screen adaptation and the miniseries] is that we’re working with about two-thirds the onscreen time they had for the miniseries. That sounds dire, I know, but it doesn’t necessarily mean two-thirds the amount of story. I’m finding as many ways as I can to make certain scenes redundant by deepening and doubling others. To me, this is an interesting process because it has the effect of thematically intensifying the whole, but it can lead to dramatic surprises. Certain scenes I thought would be crucial to the coherence of the whole ended up cut, while other scenes, which were somewhat cursory in the book, ended up being pivotal in the script. I know I’m being vague, but there’s not a lot I can tell you at this point about the specifics, since we’re still very much in development on it. I’ll just say for now that we’re really swinging for the fences.

And while Kajganich doesn’t know if or when the project will go into production, he says that he’s “been told the project is a priority for Warner Bros. and the plan is to go big with it, so I assume it will be as soon as possible.” Read the whole interview which features much more discussion on the topic, on Lilja’s Library.

The official book description follows: “They were just kids when they stumbled upon the hidden horror of their hometown. Now, as adults, none of them can withstand the force that has drawn them all back to Derry, Maine, to face the nightmare without end, and the evil without a name.” The book is availabe for around $9 on Amazon.

demorgan
07-02-2010, 09:34 AM
I dont think that it will work. I would rather see it as a mini-series on showtime or HBO...realistically, a two hour movie cant possibly do it justice. Im also not impressed with the screenwriter for reasons I cant put my hand on.

Aaron
07-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Ha! I thought this project was dead. The last time I heard about it I thought I was told that SyFy picked up the rights--which terrified me. Although I still do not think that this can be done properly in two hours, at least the screenwriter acknowledges that challenge and is trying to do his best with it. I guess we'll see.

Iwritecode
07-02-2010, 10:06 AM
This was always one of my favorite SK books. I've always though the movie was ok but I always hated the ending.

My daughters spend the night at a friend's house and made the mistake of watching it once. Ever since then they've been a little weird about the bathroom sink.

CyberGhostface
06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Warner Bros’ adaptation of the classic Stephen King novel It has a director and writer.

Cary Fukunaga, the hot-shot filmmaker behind last year’s adaptation of Jane Eyre, is boarding the project as director and will co-write the script with Chase Palmer, who previously adapted Frank Herbert’s Dune for Paramount.

Roy Lee and Dan Lin are producing It, as are Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg of KatzSmith Production.

A best-selling book when it was published in1986, It, like The Stand, is one of King’s biggest and most dense tomes, and the plan is for Fukunaga and Palmer to adapt the work into two films.

The story follows a group of kids called the Losers Club that encounter a creature called It, which preys on children and whose favorite form is that of a sadistic clown called Pennywise. When the creature resurfaces, the kids are called upon to regroup again, this time as adults, even though they have no memory of the first battle.

The book was previously adapted in 1990 as an ABC miniseries that starred John Ritter, Harry Anderson, Tim Reid, Annette O'Toole, Richard Thomas and Tim Curry played Pennywise.
Warners picked up the rights in 2009 and originally intended to adapt it into a single movie. Jon Silk is co-producing. Fukunaga won the directing award at the Sundance Film Festival for his drama Sin Nombre. He is attached to develop HBO’s True Detective, which has Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey attached as stars.

Palmer, an award-winning shorts director, first worked with Fukunaga on Focus’ No Blood, No, Guts, No Glory.

Fukunaga and Palmer are repped by WME. Fukunaga is additionally repped by Anonymous Content and Lichter Grossman while Palmer is also repped by The Gotham Group and Weissman Wolff.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-kings-be-adapted-by-334899

----

IMO the only way another version of It would be necessary is if they made it a 10+ hr miniseries on HBO. As cheesy as the original was you can't top Tim Curry's performance so you'd have to make it really faithful for it not to be a waste of time.

mae
06-07-2012, 08:39 PM
What happened with Kajganich?

Heather19
06-08-2012, 04:48 AM
I personally would love to see a new adaptation while at the same time I'm very worried about one because I don't think it can live up to the greatness of the book. I wasn't a fan of the original miniseries. Tim Curry was really good as Pennywise, and the kid portions were fairly good as well. But the whole adult scenes were really bad in my opinion. And I wish they would go the route of doing a tv series. One season on HBO or something would be perfect. You could include almost everything in it, and not be limited to what you can or can not show.

stkmw02
06-08-2012, 05:16 AM
From what my husband heard, it's supposed to be presented as two theatrical releases? At least that's the rumor... I'm trying to imagine a good spot to split the story into two separate movies, and what the titles would be. IT and IT II? :lol:

RichardX
06-08-2012, 06:14 AM
This one could certainly use a reworking. IT could and should be done as a hardcore horror film. The TV movie is a bit dated and flawed. Fans of the book are never going to be satisfied by a two-hour movie. Too much would need to be cut from the storyline. But it could still be done. How about a double feature? Tarantino did that a while back with this grindhouse movies. It was a major bust so it's unlikely to be repeated by the studios but that might be the ticket here. 3D was dead for a long time before a major comeback.

noal
06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Oooohhhhh, not sure about this...

George at C-Springs
06-08-2012, 10:15 PM
I apologize if this has already been mentioned elsewhere; I perused the first three pages here in the Corner and didn't see it, and it was news to me. RF, please relocate and merge as appropriate.

Apparently IT is being remade. Not a whole lot of info other than the director (Cary Fukunaga?) and that it's a planned two-parter. Conflicting info as to whether it will be for the big screen or TV. Links to articles here:

http://screenrant.com/stephen-king-it-movies-cary-fukunaga-sandy-178091/

http://www.webpronews.com/stephen-kings-it-finally-gets-a-proper-big-screen-adaptation-2012-06

http://www.inquisitr.com/250764/stephen-kings-it-remake-2012/

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_351.html

tippy4
06-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah...I'm sure that the IT movie will be made right around the same time that The Dark Tower movie will be made....which is never.

Brice
06-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Sorry, but for me Tim Curry was Pennywise, is Pennywise, and there can be no other. :nope:

CyberGhostface
02-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Are you also still hoping to do the two-part It movie?

FUKUNAGA: I am in the midst of rewriting the first script now. We’re not working on the second part yet. The first script is just about the kids. It’s more like Goonies meets a horror film.

As great as Tim Curry was as Pennywise the clown in the TV movie of It, one of the biggest failures of that was the really cheesy creature at the end.

FUKUNAGA: There will be no spider at the end of our movie. We’re definitely honoring the spirit of Stephen King, but the horror has to be modernized to make it relevant. That’s my job, right now, on this pass. I’m working on making the horror more about suspense than visualization of any creatures. I just don’t think that’s scary. What could be there, and the sounds and how it interacts with things, is scarier than actual monsters.

http://collider.com/cary-fukunaga-true-detective-interview/#tXpoS5IUTsqYpmmZ.99

Yeah... no monsters or giant spider. Making it 'relevant'. :mad: I'm not looking forward to this as much now...

mtdman
02-06-2014, 06:54 PM
I wonder if they'll focus on how they get out of the sewer later in the book.

CyberGhostface
02-07-2014, 12:10 AM
If you're referring to what I think you are, no mainstream American film is going to touch that with a ten foot pole.

Heather19
02-07-2014, 07:32 AM
I actually think this sounds better. I thought the spider at the end was silly. And there's no way it can be filmed without it coming off as being cheesy. I really hope they do the book justice though. It's my favorite, and I would love to see a good adaption of it. Wish they had gone the route of a tv series though as opposed to a feature film.

mattgreenbean
02-07-2014, 10:56 AM
So no pterodactyl?

CyberGhostface
02-08-2014, 10:48 AM
I actually think this sounds better. I thought the spider at the end was silly. And there's no way it can be filmed without it coming off as being cheesy. I really hope they do the book justice though. It's my favorite, and I would love to see a good adaption of it. Wish they had gone the route of a tv series though as opposed to a feature film.

It's silly because of the poor special effects of the time. It could probably be done better today.

http://i.imgur.com/oSPcpI4.jpg

The only issue for me would be how to handle the cosmic aspect of the finale.

mae
05-21-2014, 06:29 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-kings-moves-warner-bros-706062

The long road to re-adapt Stephen King's novel It has taken another turn.

Warner Bros. has been developing a big-screen take for five years, and in 2012 it hired Cary Fukunaga to direct two films produced by Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg.

But just as Fukunaga is coming off HBO's True Detective, the project is leaving Warners -- sort of.

In a rare move, It is shifting to the studio's New Line division. Insiders say that as New Line prepares for a June move from West Hollywood to Warners' Burbank lot, the siblings are drawing clearer distinctions about the types of movies they make.

New Line will now take the lead on horror, bringing the company back to one of its roots. It was once known as the House that Freddy Built due to the long-standing success of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Horror is now having a resurgence at the company -- the emphasis is less slashery and more thrills and chills -- as evidenced by last year's hit The Conjuring.

And It is a horror play. The story follows a group of kids called the Losers Club who defeat a creature called It. Years later, the creature returns and the club, now adults, have to band together again even though they have no memory of the first battle.

The plan is for the first movie to tell the kids’ story and the second movie to focus on the adults.

It will be overseen by the division's Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter, with Warners vp production Niija Kuykendall helping.

fearless-freak
05-21-2014, 08:48 AM
So no pterodactyl?

i've heard its supposed to be Rodan

Lookwhoitis
05-21-2014, 04:09 PM
I had no clue who Fukunaga was before watching True Detective.

After seeing his handling of horror themes and building suspense in that TV series, I believe he can knock IT out of the park...

Jimimck
05-21-2014, 05:55 PM
If you're referring to what I think you are, no mainstream American film is going to touch that with a ten foot pole.

Took me a bit to realise what you were referring to then laughed my arse off. You are so right. No way that would ever be included.

Brainslinger
05-25-2014, 03:32 AM
I think it could be interesting although they should keep some of the monsters at least, and probably will.

I like the idea of two films following the Losers Club at different ages.

Roden
05-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Wondering if a format similar to the book would work? Rather than young age, then old age?

Merlin1958
05-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Wondering if a format similar to the book would work? Rather than young age, then old age?

Not sure exactly what you mean here. I would think that if a two movie format were employed then a "Modern" set-up for the first encounter flash-back in the first movie and the second movie dedicated to the more current events would be the way to go.

Roden
05-26-2014, 05:00 AM

Not sure exactly what you mean here. I would think that if a two movie format were employed then a "Modern" set-up for the first encounter flash-back in the first movie and the second movie dedicated to the more current events would be the way to go.
I just meant that in the book the two timelines are sometimes told sort of at the same time (especially the ending). I think this makes more sense in terms of King's original intent and meaning of the story. i.e. it wasn't just part 1: Kids. part 2: Adults.

Merlin1958
05-26-2014, 04:27 PM

I just meant that in the book the two timelines are sometimes told sort of at the same time (especially the ending). I think this makes more sense in terms of King's original intent and meaning of the story. i.e. it wasn't just part 1: Kids. part 2: Adults.

Ahh, I got you. That is a good way to go. Being a German, OCD person I tend to box things up neatly, but you're right the way, King intertwined the stories would work better in the right hands.

Roden
05-27-2014, 03:04 PM

Ahh, I got you. That is a good way to go. Being a German, OCD person I tend to box things up neatly, but you're right the way, King intertwined the stories would work better in the right hands.

Yep, check out the recent horror movie Oculus, that has both young/old timelines occurring at the same time. Definitely inspired by It as well (the whole childhood promise, forgetfulness etc). It's not the perfect movie, but shows you how that kind of implementation can be more interesting to watch.

mae
12-05-2014, 03:28 PM
http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/fukunaga-to-shoot-stephen-kings-it-next-summer.html

Good news, horror fans: After a very long development process, it looks like a big-screen adaptation of Stephen King’s seminal horror novel It is finally going to happen. Vulture spoke with the project’s producer Dan Lin last night at an awards-season party celebrating The Lego Movie (which Lin also produced), and he confirmed that It will be his next live-action movie, with True Detective helmer Cary Fukunaga confirmed to direct. “The idea is to start official prep in March for a summer shoot,” said Lin. “Cary likes to develop things for a while, and we’ve been with this for about three or four years, so we’re super excited that he stayed with it. You guys are gonna be really excited.”

That’s an understatement: Aside from a 1990 ABC TV miniseries boasting a memorable performance from Tim Curry as the evil clown Pennywise (a human guise for the book’s titular evil being), It has never quite gotten the cinematic treatment the story deserves, and Lin says his big plan is to split King’s sprawling novel into two movies. “The book is so epic that we couldn’t tell it all in one movie and service the characters with enough depth,” explained Lin; the first film, then, will be a coming-of-age story about the children tormented by It, while the second will skip ahead in time as those same characters band together to continue the fight as adults. Though Fukunaga is only committed to directing the first film, Lin says the in-demand helmer is currently closing a deal to co-write the second.

And no one is more excited about the project’s renewed movement than It’s author. “The most important thing is that Stephen King gave us his blessing,” said Lin. “We didn’t want to make this unless he felt it was the right way to go, and when we sent him the script, the response that Cary got back was, ‘Go with God, please! This is the version the studio should make.’ So that was really gratifying.”

Jon
12-05-2014, 04:59 PM
I just look forward to the sewer pipe chase scenes. I wonder how close they will look to my imagination.

ICry4Oy
12-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Just hope they don't cast Carrot Top as Pennywise......or Gilbert Gottfried :D

mae
12-05-2014, 06:41 PM
The article that started the SK Cinematic Universe thread has Crispin Glover as Pennywise. I think that's a great choice. But Lauren Ambrose has to play the adult Bev. Reading It about a year ago, that's who I kinda pictured. And she's an amazing actress that doesn't get a lot of exposure.

Jon
12-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Just hope they don't cast Carrot Top as Pennywise......or Gilbert Gottfried :D

...or blow the whole budget on Molly Ringwald a la The Stand.

Maturins_Daughter
12-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Noooooooooooooo!!!!!

stephenkingcast
12-08-2014, 03:19 PM
I trust Fukunaga. He completely knocked it out of the ballpark with True Detective. And sadly, the spider was such a maligned aspect of the original TV mini series, he'll garner a lot of good will among moviegoers by excising that part of the story (which I'm a huge fan of, by the way!) By leaving it out, it opens up the movie for new possibilities, and that's always a good thing! www.stephenkingcast.podbean.com

herbertwest
12-09-2014, 01:27 AM
Do not hesitate to put your link in your signature instead of each messages, otherwise we may think that you spam just for the links ;)

skyofcrack
12-09-2014, 01:39 AM
I read the director is only signed on for the first part. I hope he ends up directing both for continuity.

Heather19
12-09-2014, 05:03 AM
Agreed.

I'm really excited about this. Hope they cast it better than the miniseries. I loved the child actors and thought they all did a really good job, but the adult portions of the movie were hard to watch.

stephenkingcast
12-09-2014, 05:29 AM
Thanks!

horrorfan2647
12-27-2014, 04:21 PM
http://www.wickedhorror.com/horror-news/stephen-kings-it-set-shoot-next-summer/

Merlin1958
12-27-2014, 04:31 PM
http://www.wickedhorror.com/horror-news/stephen-kings-it-set-shoot-next-summer/

Sounds good to me!!!

jake_and_oy
12-30-2014, 08:45 PM
I wonder if it will be a period piece or if the adult section of the book will take place in the present. It would almost be necessary to change the monsters that IT manifests as given that the monsters in the book are so period specific (i.e. mummy, creature from the black lagoon).

goheat
12-31-2014, 05:40 AM
I wonder if it will be a period piece or if the adult section of the book will take place in the present. It would almost be necessary to change the monsters that IT manifests as given that the monsters in the book are so period specific (i.e. mummy, creature from the black lagoon).

I kind of hope they don't. IT wouldn't be the same if the monsters were Freddy Krueger, Jason, Chuckie, or Leatherface! :P

Merlin1958
01-01-2015, 09:17 AM

Actually, one of the studio's is launching a "Traditional Movie Monster" campaign to rival, Marvel. The recent new "Dracula" was the first and "The Wolfman & The Mummy" are already filming. So "IT" might tie in nicely for them.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69661

mae
01-18-2015, 05:33 AM
http://screencrush.com/cary-fukunaga-it-very-scary/

As previously reported, Cary Fukunaga’s adaptation of Stephen King’s iconic horror novel ‘It’ will begin shooting this summer, with Fukunaga filming the first in the planned two-part adaptation. In a new interview with Seth Grahame-Smith, the producer has confirmed that the film is moving rather swiftly into production, and tells us a little more about what we can expect from this highly-anticipated adaptation.

Stephen King’s ‘It’ is one of the most terrifying and iconic stories the author has ever produced—thanks in part to his excellent work in developing the main characters as children, which heightens the fear of their harrowing experience with the evil entity who often presents itself as Pennywise the Clown. That juvenile sense of fear is renewed as the friends become adults and are brought back together to face their fears—and Pennywise—once again.

Previously made into a memorable TV miniseries in the ‘90s, ‘It’ remains a tricky story to adapt (like most King novels), but in a new interview with EW, producer Seth Grahame-Smith assures us that the film is going to be quite scary and vicious—as it should be:

I think that if anything, [the new film] will bring back some of the viciousness of the book that they couldn’t do with the miniseries because it was for broadcast. I think it’s going to be very scary, but I also feel like you’ve got Cary who is going to direct these kids—and he’s incredible at casting, incredible at shooting. He’s incredible with tone and atmosphere.

Grahame-Smith is certainly correct about Fukunaga, who directed the entire first season of ‘True Detective,’ and also delivered the most talked-about television scene of 2014. Fukunaga’s grasp of atmosphere is incredible, and it’s the biggest takeaway from his adaptation of ‘Jane Eyre,’ which nails a romantic but subtle and often disquieting gothic vibe.

The TV version of ‘It’ was fine, although it’s recalled more fondly now as a bit of horror nostalgia. To adapt ‘It’ properly, you really have to be able to explore some of the more terrifying and strange elements. The film version will also likely succeed largely on the way the younger cast members are presented, and Fukunaga will definitely need an excellent young cast. King takes a very honest look at coming of age in ‘It,’ but it’s not often that we see kids portrayed in such a candid light these days.

Grahame-Smith went on to confirm that Fukunaga plans to shoot the first of the two films this summer, which would focus largely on the characters as children:

We’re going to get a draft, what is supposed to be the shooting [script], any day now from Cary and his writing partner. We’re doing a deal for them to write the second movie. Our hope is to prep sometime in the next few months and shoot in the summer. That one is as much on the runway as we can possibly be. I know New Line is ready to go.

With that in mind, we could likely see the first ‘It’ film in 2017.

Merlin1958
01-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Very encouraging!!!

Jimimck
01-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Yeah I can't wait to see a darker version of the story.

Heather19
01-19-2015, 07:35 AM
Can't wait!

webstar1000
01-19-2015, 07:37 AM
This could be a GREAY movie if done right. It really could...

Merlin1958
01-19-2015, 09:13 AM

What exactly is a "GREAY" movie???? LOL

webstar1000
01-19-2015, 09:17 AM

What exactly is a "GREAY" movie???? LOL

LOL Smart ass! Let me "clarify".. that would mean greaT. With a T. lol

mae
03-06-2015, 10:24 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Adaptation-Stephen-King-It-Making-Some-Major-Changes-70143.html

Knowing that Stephen King's It is headed to the big screen, fans of the book are left to wonder whether the feature adaptation will maintain the timeline of the novel, or if the time periods will be adjusted to modernize or drastically alter the story. From what director Cary Fukunaga reportedly said in a recent interview, it sounds like the time period could be different.

Before we get to what was said, it needs to be noted that this information was passed from a reader to Bloody Disgusting from a Brazilian newspaper called O Globo. It was translated by the reader, so there's a chance the context shifted through that process.

The mention of the change in the time period was included when True Detective's Cary Fukunaga was commenting on Stephen King's approval of the adaptation:

It’s really good to know Stephen [King] likes what we did. We (Fukunaga and writers David Kajganich and Chase Palmer) changed names, dates dynamics, but the spirit is similar to what he’d like to see in cinemas, I think.

His mention of changed names, dates and dynamics is too vague for us to do much more than speculate at this point. Dynamics could mean anything, really. But "dates" is particularly interesting, as it's unclear yet what time periods this story will be set. Stephen King's It is actually set in the late 50s and the mid-80s. The story is split between the past and the present, as it centers on a group of kids whose lives came together over during a summer when a number of mysterious and brutal child murders took place. The present day is nearly three decades later, when they reunite in Derry after they learn that "It" has come back and bad things are happening again.

The book hit shelves in 1986 and was adapted in 1990 for a TV miniseries. The time period then was similar enough to when the book was first published that the past and present settings didn't need to be drastically altered. But today's "present" is 25 years from the book's present-day setting, which leads us to wonder if the story will shift the time period and set the present around 2015. Assuming the ages of the characters (past and present) aren't drastically altered, that would put the flashbacks somewhere in the late 1980s.

The alternative to shifting the timeline up to suit a modern-day set adaptation would be to do a period piece, where the timeframe remains as it is in the book (Past: 1950s, Present: 1980s), or to leave the past in the 1950s and make the present 2015, in which case instead of the characters being in their late thirties or early forties in the present day, they'd be in their late 50s or early 60s, which would obviously have an impact on the present part of the story.

The tricky thing about Fukunaga's quote is that it still leaves a lot open to speculation, as the changed "dynamics" could certainly tie into a change in the dates, if they're shifting the past and present to modernize the story, or they're only shifting the present, and making the characters older.

We'll have to wait and see what additional details emerge, and we'll likely have a better idea of just how drastically things are changing once the casting process begins. From what Fukunaga says, he's on the hunt to find "the perfect guy to play Pennywise." Personally, I wouldn't hate it if Tim Curry returned for that role, as it's impossible to imagine anyone playing that character any better than he did. With that said, there are different ways to approach something so terrifying, and I'm sure there is someone out there who could bring their own chilling brand of horror to the scary clown.

At present, we know that the It movie is expected to be two movies, and from these latest comments from Cary Fukunaga, it sounds like we shouldn't anticipate a page-for-page adaptation. But if what he says is accurate, the "spirit" is similar, so that's something.

Until we have more info, beep beep, Richie.

webstar1000
03-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Thanks Pablo. I looked for this thread forever yesterday as Bloody Disgusting News had a great article on this. It is really intersting the amount of time this guy has put into this project! Over 5 years and there is not even a cast yet. He is having a tough time I read too trying to find Pennywise. I thought who I would like to see.. and it is not easy. I cannot pin point an actor. I would like to see someone REALLY off the wall attack it. The first person that "pops' into my mind? Tom Hanks.. haha seriously... I think he would be so creepy as the bad guy. Very interesting...

Merlin1958
03-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks Pablo. I looked for this thread forever yesterday as Bloody Disgusting News had a great article on this. It is really intersting the amount of time this guy has put into this project! Over 5 years and there is not even a cast yet. He is having a tough time I read too trying to find Pennywise. I thought who I would like to see.. and it is not easy. I cannot pin point an actor. I would like to see someone REALLY off the wall attack it. The first person that "pops' into my mind? Tom Hanks.. haha seriously... I think he would be so creepy as the bad guy. Very interesting...

LOL Christopher Walken!!! "Whoa, the loser's club. They'll float, we all float down here"!!! (Said in my best, Walken impression) LOL LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07KQ7WgUJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtq5_lCoDSg

Sorry, just cracked my "Funny Bone".

skyofcrack
03-06-2015, 12:51 PM
SNL needs to do an audition sketch where we see various actors trying out for the new Pennywise like Jack Nicholson, Woody Allen, Tom Hanks, Christian Bale, Michael Keaton, Christopher Walken, Jack Black, etc...

Re: time change. I don't like it. It was set in the 50's so we could see the kids watching all those classic horror flicks then Pennywise taking advantage of their fear.

So, will they change all the horror monsters to Freddy, Jason, Myers, etc...?

I say start in 1957 and end in 2011. The cycle is every 27 years so Hanlon can talk about trying to fight it by himself in 1984 then call everyone in 2011. The adults would be in their 60's. Might work.

Bev Vincent
04-01-2015, 02:37 AM
Crew from new adaptation of Stephen King’s “It” in Bangor to scope out potential filming locations (http://hashtagmaine.bangordailynews.com/2015/03/31/reddit/crew-from-new-adaptation-of-stephen-kings-it-in-bangor-to-scope-out-potential-filming-locations/)

While nothing is set in stone and no official announcements have been made by anyone associated with the film, Stu Tinker, owner and operator of SK Tours, the official Stephen King tour of Bangor, took a production designer from the upcoming Hollywood two-part remake of King’s “It” on a tour of the city on Monday.

Tinker, who owned King-centric bookstore Bett’s Books and has for 18 years run SK Tours, took production designer Mara LePere-Schloop on a tour of the city, scoping out locations including the Thomas Hill Standpipe, the land running alongside the Kenduskeag Stream that in “It” is called The Barrens, and the Waterworks on the Penobscot River. Bangor — well, Derry, Bangor’s stand-in in the King Universe — is the primary location in “It.” Tinker said LePere-Schloop said during her tour that they were hoping to shoot some scenes in the city and possibly get some aerial shots, though currently the leading locations for the majority of filming for the movie are in Yonkers, N.Y. and in upstate New York.

goheat
04-01-2015, 05:06 AM
Besides what Bev posted, I also see that filming is scheduled to start in June, and that it may be a trilogy.

‘It’ Clown Pennywise Will Terrorize New York This June! (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3338085/it-clown-pennywise-will-terrorize-new-york-june/)

The feature film adaptation of Stephen King’s It is finally entering pre-production, with plans on going behind cameras this June in New York, reports Production Weekly. The first in what could be a new trilogy is to be helmed by “True Detective’s” Cary Fukunaga. One of the delays was Fukunaga’s hunt to find the perfect Pennywise, otherwise known as the killer clown from the novel and television adaptation.

webstar1000
04-01-2015, 06:15 AM
Besides what Bev posted, I also see that filming is scheduled to start in June, and that it may be a trilogy.

‘It’ Clown Pennywise Will Terrorize New York This June! (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3338085/it-clown-pennywise-will-terrorize-new-york-june/)

The feature film adaptation of Stephen King’s It is finally entering pre-production, with plans on going behind cameras this June in New York, reports Production Weekly. The first in what could be a new trilogy is to be helmed by “True Detective’s” Cary Fukunaga. One of the delays was Fukunaga’s hunt to find the perfect Pennywise, otherwise known as the killer clown from the novel and television adaptation.

This should NOT be three movies. There should be two FOR SURE... Losers club as kids... and as adults. If done right.. would be amazing.

Bev Vincent
04-01-2015, 06:33 AM
That bit about the trilogy was just thrown into one article, presumably by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, and it's been passed along from article to article. I don't believe it.

goheat
04-01-2015, 06:37 AM
That bit about the trilogy was just thrown into one article, presumably by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, and it's been passed along from article to article. I don't believe it.

I hope you're right, Bev, or they may end up dragging it out like The Hobbit films...

mae
04-01-2015, 06:39 AM
Maybe they conflated the proposed trilogy of The Stand with It.

Bev Vincent
04-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Maybe they conflated the proposed trilogy of The Stand with It.

Which may actually be FOUR movies -- maybe they're just using a running average.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Lauren Ambrose has to play the adult Bev.

I always pictured Julia Roberts as adult Bev when I read the book.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-01-2015, 11:31 AM
I hope they dont change the time period. SK does such a good job of capturing the 50's in his works. I think that feeling of nostalgia is what makes that book so special. It would totally suck to have that element removed.

Merlin1958
04-01-2015, 01:16 PM
I hope they dont change the time period. SK does such a good job of capturing the 50's in his works. I think that feeling of nostalgia is what makes that book so special. It would totally suck to have that element removed.

I'll second that thought.

webstar1000
04-01-2015, 01:28 PM

I'll third it Bill!

zelig
04-03-2015, 06:08 PM

I'll third it Bill!

And I'll throw in a fourth!

CyberGhostface
05-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Will Foulter is Pennywise.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/will-poutler-pennywise-the-clown-in-new-lines-it-remake-1201446495/

Erm... I'll give him a shot but this is a pretty random pick.

DoctorDodge
05-04-2015, 01:37 PM
I know! I was expecting someone with just a little more maturity for something like Pennywise. Trying really hard not to be skeptical here - after all, the last Pennywise was (and probably still is) most remembered for this:

http://a.scpr.org/i/2d631112ea018bcec6b88bef469c91f1/21127-full.jpg

But still...this kid better be damn good. Really damn good.

CyberGhostface
05-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Well he does kind of look sinister here.

http://i.imgur.com/KnEHDo0.jpg

I guess we'll see...

webstar1000
05-04-2015, 03:15 PM
You know I try VERY hard not to judge actors chosen... Learned my lesson with Keanu Reeves in the Matrix or Heath as the Joker... But this looks like a tough one. Isn't he too young?

zelig
05-04-2015, 03:24 PM
My first thought was he's too young, but he does have the eyes for it. Especially when you look at him in that picture.

Heather19
05-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Yeah that was my thought as well when I saw he was cast. I expected a much older man. Especially since he's supposed to be luring in these young kids, to have a young man play that part just seems kind of odd to me. It won't have that same effect of an adult vs child. Hopefully he'll surprise us all.

fernandito
05-04-2015, 03:26 PM
I haven't seen this kid in anything.
What are his credentials?

zelig
05-04-2015, 03:29 PM
IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2401020/)

Roland of Gilead 33
05-04-2015, 05:14 PM
really Eustance? that's the only thing i know him in was the last Narnia Film. for me only Tim Curry is Pennywise, i have no idea who else would be good in the cast. but is he the only one cast so far?

Ricky
05-04-2015, 05:19 PM

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/will-poutler-pennywise-the-clown-in-new-lines-it-remake-1201446495/

Had to click on that link because I couldn't believe it. Never would I think of him as Pennywise. But then again, strange casting decisions can end up being impressive.

I haven't seen this kid in anything.
What are his credentials?

He was in the third Narnia movie, We're the Millers, The Maze Runner. I think that's all I've seen him in.

Merlin1958
05-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Yeah that was my thought as well when I saw he was cast. I expected a much older man. Especially since he's supposed to be luring in these young kids, to have a young man play that part just seems kind of odd to me. It won't have that same effect of an adult vs child. Hopefully he'll surprise us all.

May be that is just the appeal. Who would kids gravitate more to, an old man or a much younger, "kindred spirit" of sorts. It just may work. Also, you have to picture him under the clown make-up, right?

cowboy_ed
05-04-2015, 08:30 PM
he'd play a good brady hartsfield...

Jimimck
05-04-2015, 08:31 PM
I was hoping for Michael Shannon

NoAttitudeThisTime
05-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Hopefully the rest of the cast won't be having iPads, Skype with each other, and hopefully Pennywise's goofy shoes won't be Converse. This remake may be more graphic and gory and have better effects than the original miniseries, but if they make it too modern (as they did with the TNT remake of 'Salem's Lot), I'll end up choosing and loving the 1990 miniseries over this one.

Iwritecode
05-05-2015, 05:01 AM

I only know him from We’re the Millers, so I’m having a difficult time thinking of him as Pennywise.

It’s kinda like when they had the kid that played Kelly Leak in the Bad News Bears (Jackie Earle Haley) play Freddy Kruger in the Nightmare on Elm St. re-make. Which was awful.

sgc1999
05-05-2015, 12:44 PM

I only know him from We’re the Millers, so I’m having a difficult time thinking of him as Pennywise.

It’s kinda like when they had the kid that played Kelly Leak in the Bad News Bears (Jackie Earle Haley) play Freddy Kruger in the Nightmare on Elm St. re-make. Which was awful.

Hes going from a spider down his pants, (the millers), to being the spider. :)

Heather19
05-05-2015, 01:55 PM

May be that is just the appeal. Who would kids gravitate more to, an old man or a much younger, "kindred spirit" of sorts. It just may work. Also, you have to picture him under the clown make-up, right?

True, but it does change the dynamic a bit. I'll try to not pass judgement, because for all I know he could turn into a really creepy scary character.

Roland of Gilead 33
05-05-2015, 07:20 PM
1stly Salem's lot' the remake was fucking awful. them updating it to whatever the hell year that came out in wasn't what hurt the film. what hurt it was a terrible script. as for the elm street remake i was honestly fucking bored while watching it. it was an ok film but bored? that wasn't something i expected. as for this remake i hope it is gorier and follows the book more.

and they don't fucking make a PG1-13 film to get the youngsters in there. i honestly am not expecting much from the IT remake but i am keeping an open mind. i'd still love to see the original cut of the (1990) film that was longer than what we got. than it was i believe cut cause they simply could not show that stuff on tv well compared to today that is. as for the dude who is apparently playing pennywise. i've just seen him in Narnia and he wasn't that bad in that film.

i don't see him as playing pennywise at all. but i'm keeping an open mind or trying to at least.

Heather19
05-06-2015, 06:05 AM
Oh man, I hope it's not PG-13, but it probably will be. They always want to seem to keep it as low as they can these days to bring more people in. I kinda wish they had gone a mini-series route on HBO or something. Then they could pretty much do whatever and not hold back.

mae
05-06-2015, 06:28 AM
This could be genius casting. Loved him in We're the Millers (so upset it was ousted so early in our Comedy Tournament!) And I had no idea he was British! With the clown makeup he'll definitely pull this off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q50L26T3B6g

Bev Vincent
05-06-2015, 06:31 AM
Hey -- that's Alexis from Castle.

Roland of Gilead 33
05-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Molly Quinn is her name by the way. i love castle as well. i picked up IT again after putting it down for awhile. where is the area where i can talk about the book? i go away from the site for awhile and i forget where shit is.

Bev Vincent
05-07-2015, 02:46 AM
Molly Quinn is her name by the way. i love castle as well. i picked up IT again after putting it down for awhile. where is the area where i can talk about the book? i go away from the site for awhile and i forget where shit is.

That would be in Cara Laughs section ("Non-Dark Tower Stephen King Book Discussion"). Try here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?452-It-Let-s-Discuss!-*SPOILERS*).

Roland of Gilead 33
05-07-2015, 06:47 PM
thank you.

Roland of Gilead 33
05-10-2015, 07:24 PM
i've been reading the book and wondering what all they will put in it? and what's left out such as the interludes i wonder if any of that will be put in? as back story to how long IT has been in Derry. and what will be left out such as the kids having an orgy near the end of the book that part i can live without them putting that in the film. my favorite parts of the book were always the parts when they were kids anyways. and i think part of it was to me it always felt like there were more parts of it with them as kids than as adults.

i've also wished that SK would put some of the characters in other books to let us know what they have been up to. only one he

CyberGhostface
05-24-2015, 02:44 PM
They're probably too old now but does anyone think the kids from Super 8 could have been good as some of the Losers?

http://i.imgur.com/c6Wrn1v.jpg

Looking at that pic you probably don't even have to guess who I'd want them to play.

cowboy_ed
05-24-2015, 02:45 PM
96.8% sure those kids are modelled after some archetypes King had a big part in creating

CyberGhostface
05-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Yeah for all the talks of the film copying "ET", my mind kept on going back to It. Still a great film though.

Roland of Gilead 33
05-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Super 8 that one i haven't seen, isn't that one of those found footage films? man i hate those type of films. as for kids they may cast, i'm just guessing but they may just cast a bunch of nobody's.

i think it was well cast the 1st time i just hope it's cast that well the 2nd time as well.

CyberGhostface
05-24-2015, 07:48 PM
It's not a found-footage film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqt9L4fIExA

Roland of Gilead 33
05-25-2015, 08:15 AM
oh ok. there's a LOT of films haven't seen. maybe i was thinking about that one monster film that J.J Abrahms or however ya spell his name put out a few years back. i think i know which one you are talking about now and that one i haven't seen yet. i do recall it looking good.

CyberGhostface
05-25-2015, 11:36 AM
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/it-cary-fukunaga-director-exits-1201504672/

Cary Fukunaga is gone. :(

Lookwhoitis
05-25-2015, 02:09 PM
King on film is just damned. Prepare for It adaptation to suck

webstar1000
05-25-2015, 03:16 PM

Well said brother... Only three I can think of I liked a lot. Stand By Me, Shawshank and the Green Mile. Am I missing any?

Jimimck
05-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Both Shinings, Both Salem's, Cujo, Christine, Carrie?

OK - disclaimer - I love all King adaptations no matter how bad they are :wink:

webstar1000
05-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Lol. Forgot about Shinning... And I didn't mind Salems and the first Carrie... But Shining for sure!

CyberGhostface
05-25-2015, 03:40 PM
To me what spells disaster is the producers want to make it one film.

Merlin1958
05-25-2015, 03:46 PM
To me what spells disaster is the producers want to make it one film.

Really? I seem to recall it being stated as two films in most advance discussion. Is this something new?

CyberGhostface
05-25-2015, 04:27 PM
This is a new development. The reason (one of them anyway) why Cary left the project was because he wanted it to be two movies and the producers wanted to change it to one to save costs.

Merlin1958
05-25-2015, 04:29 PM
This is a new development. The reason (one of them anyway) why Cary left the project was because he wanted it to be two movies and the producers wanted to change it to one to save costs.

Real bad move!!! Oh, well.

Johnny Alien
05-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Well said brother... Only three I can think of I liked a lot. Stand By Me, Shawshank and the Green Mile. Am I missing any?

Shining (already mentioned), Pet Semetery, Misery, The Mist, Apt Pupil and Secret Window.

Merlin1958
05-25-2015, 04:42 PM

Shining (already mentioned), Pet Semetery, Misery, The Mist, Apt Pupil and Secret Window.

The shining, by Kubrik, so-so in the King world
Pet Semetary, Also so-so
Apt Pupil, Again so -so
The Mist, I like it, but so-so in the King world.
Secret Window, trash

What else you got?

Johnny Alien
05-25-2015, 05:14 PM
The shining, by Kubrik, so-so in the King world
Pet Semetary, Also so-so
Apt Pupil, Again so -so
The Mist, I like it, but so-so in the King world.
Secret Window, trash

What else you got?

I might agree with some of them being so-so but The Mist and Misery are both fantastic movies and solid adaptations on par with Stand By Me, Shawshank and Green Mile.

Lookwhoitis
05-25-2015, 06:10 PM
The Shining is a masterpiece of Horror and made by one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. It is most certainly on the list of best King films which are:

The Shining
Stand by Me
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile

every one else might have their own favorites. I think De Palma's Carrie is up there and Children of the Corn even though it is a schlock horror film, scared the crap out of me as a kid.

You have the best of the best (listed above), a handfull of good ones (usually defined by an individual) and the rest, well they just suck balls.

The reason most King movies SUCK is that no one can do it like the King as far as BREADTH of popularity is concerned. King has entertained millions with his novels, because of the packaging mechanism and also his ability to fill his books with universal descriptions that ground his reader into the story eliciting a more emotional impact, but horror films are a niche market (at best)

TCCBodhi
05-25-2015, 06:29 PM

Yes, some additional initial costs (less than 2 independent movies since being filmed at the same time), but you've then got 2 complete revenues. It's a risk, but seems to be supported by the general way that franchises are running these days. Movies are arguably in artistic trouble when the producers have more sway than the director.

herbertwest
05-26-2015, 12:15 AM

Not so long ago, David Lynch went away from the Twin Peaks upcoming serie....

NoAttitudeThisTime
05-26-2015, 03:17 AM
Fantastic King adaptations: The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me, The Mist (loved the brilliant ending), Dolores Claiborne, Storm of the Century (best of the miniseries), Carrie (the original), Creepshow (the best anthology horror movie ever made).
Kubrick's Shining is regarded as a classic by many, but I found it a so-so. Liked the miniseries version a lot more.

mattgreenbean
05-26-2015, 06:08 AM
Here's some SK based movies that were not at the top of anyone's list, but were still great movies: Mercy, Silver Bullet, Thinner, Children of the Corn, The Dead Zone, Sometimes They Come Back, The Dark Half, Firestarter, Hearts in Atlantis.

So wouldn't go as far as saying SK on film equals "suck" IT will be good anyway they choice to do the film because Pennywise is such a creepy monster. We just won't ever see that pterodactyl.

Ari_Racing
05-26-2015, 07:25 AM

But now he's back!

herbertwest
05-26-2015, 07:25 AM
My point ;)

Heather19
05-26-2015, 02:56 PM

Yes, some additional initial costs (less than 2 independent movies since being filmed at the same time), but you've then got 2 complete revenues. It's a risk, but seems to be supported by the general way that franchises are running these days. Movies are arguably in artistic trouble when the producers have more sway than the director.

I agree, it's crazy. Especially considering how well franchise films are doing these days, like The Hunger Games and such. I wouldn't think it would be too risky a move to make. Also there's no way you can make one feature length film and be even a little bit faithful.

I really hope this doesn't mean they're going to continue without him and get some hack director to take his place. I'd rather see no movie than one like that. And I still stand by my initial thoughts that it would make a good one time series on HBO.

But now he's back!

I'm so excited about this.

Lookwhoitis
05-26-2015, 03:25 PM
So wouldn't go as far as saying SK on film equals "suck" IT will be good anyway they choice to do the film because Pennywise is such a creepy monster. We just won't ever see that pterodactyl.

But in fact, they do, or to put it more eloquently, Adaptations of King's work to film have a very small chance of delivering the same entertainment power that his novels achieve. IT has only happened a few times.

IT is difficult to compare mediums. What makes a good book or popular book is different from what makes a good film. In a written work YOU create the world in your own mind. In the world of a film, you are SHOWN the directors interpretation of that world. KInd of like when recording audio, the number of generations of reproductions down the line decreases the quality.

Merlin1958
05-26-2015, 03:29 PM

But in fact, they do, or to put it more eloquently, Adaptations of King's work to film have a very small chance of delivering the same entertainment power that his novels achieve. IT has only happened a few times.

IT is difficult to compare mediums. What makes a good book or popular book is different from what makes a good film. In a written work YOU create the world in your own mind. In the world of a film, you are SHOWN the directors interpretation of that world. KInd of like when recording audio, the number of generations of reproductions down the line decreases the quality.

Very true.

mae
05-28-2015, 06:44 AM
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3346738/stephen-kings-it-isnt-dead-moving-new-york-exclusive/

UPDATED 7:25PM CST | We got in touch with a Warner Bros. rep who tells us that It will remain at New Line Cinema with no firm determination on location or shooting schedule.

This Memorial Day news broke that “True Detective” director Cary Fukunaga had exited the latest film adaptation of the Stephen King’s It.

The stories cited creative differences, which included Fukunaga’s desire to direct in New York, while the studio wanted to cut costs by sending Pennywise to other locations. It was also said that one of the reasons for the budget concerns may have been the lukewarm opening Poltergeist, which also heavily used a clown in their marketing.

Anyhow, filming was to take place this summer, and thus was postponed indefinitely.

From the sounds of things, it would appear that It was dead. Or is it…

Well, good news, folks, as a regular insider told us that Pennywise may be rising up from the sewers!

A source from the inside is telling us that the project is very much not dead – and could be heading back to Warner Bros. (it was shifted to New Line during budget cuts) with filming still set for New York.

Even weirder is that Warners is expected to sign a new director (booooooooo!) in the coming weeks, and are currently meeting with candidates. It sounds as if “budget cuts” was just an excuse wrapped around a deeper issue between Fukunaga and the studio…

We were originally told that the current expectation was that Warners would move forward with the existing It scripts and New York locations for filming possibly later this year, which is unfortunately not the case.

It will be two separate films, one which tackled the protagonists as children and the second film to focus on them as adults.

No word on if Will Poulter is still cast to play the villainous clown “Pennywise”.

Hopefully we’ll get some answers in the coming weeks because this sucks.

webstar1000
05-28-2015, 06:48 AM
I think it will happen...

mikeC
05-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Good news about newline dropping out. They are only interested in making a %300 return on the movies they make so their budget was probably way low for 2 R Rated movies. They probably wanted to go lower when the kid was picked to be Pennywise.

webstar1000
05-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Good news about newline dropping out. They are only interested in making a %300 return on the movies they make so their budget was probably way low for 2 R Rated movies. They probably wanted to go lower when the kid was picked to be Pennywise.

They dropped the director... didnt think they dropped out all together..

mikeC
05-28-2015, 01:54 PM

They dropped the director... didnt think they dropped out all together..

Hmm, I took this to mean NL dropped out and WB is back to producing.

"A source from the inside is telling us that the project is very much not dead – and could be heading back to Warner Bros. (it was shifted to New Line during budget cuts) with filming still set for New York."

webstar1000
05-28-2015, 03:57 PM
True sounds that way eh

Bev Vincent
05-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Yesterday Bloody Disgusting reported that the latest telling of Stephen King’s It was headed back to Warner Bros., filming in New York, and looking for a new director. Today they have an update and it sounds as if someone is/was bullshitting them.

As per Bloody Disgusting…

“A Warner Bros. rep [told] us that It will remain at New Line Cinema with no firm determination on location or shooting schedule.”

Source: http://news360.com/article/294900240

webstar1000
05-28-2015, 04:10 PM
That's what I read... Never seen the first part.

Lookwhoitis
05-31-2015, 11:57 AM
interesting link i saw on FB. Kings feelings about the adaptations of all his films in his own words:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/what-does-stephen-king-think-of-all-those-stephen-king-adaptations

Lookwhoitis
05-31-2015, 12:03 PM
"My feeling for most of these things is like a guy who sends his daughter off to college. You hope she'll do well. You hope that she won't fall in with the wrong people. You hope she won't be raped at a fraternity party, which is really close to what happened to 'Children of the Corn,' in a metaphoric sense."
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/what-does-stephen-king-think-of-all-those-stephen-king-adaptations#VHqF4I5HWclcX80u.99

Stephen King on Children of the Corn. :lol:

Lookwhoitis
05-31-2015, 12:04 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stephen-King-Response-It-Setback-Perfectly-Chilling-71746.html

King's response via twitter to the news of Fukunaga leaving the project

Merlin1958
05-31-2015, 02:47 PM
"My feeling for most of these things is like a guy who sends his daughter off to college. You hope she'll do well. You hope that she won't fall in with the wrong people. You hope she won't be raped at a fraternity party, which is really close to what happened to 'Children of the Corn,' in a metaphoric sense."
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/what-does-stephen-king-think-of-all-those-stephen-king-adaptations#VHqF4I5HWclcX80u.99

Stephen King on Children of the Corn. :lol:

interesting link i saw on FB. Kings feelings about the adaptations of all his films in his own words:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/what-does-stephen-king-think-of-all-those-stephen-king-adaptations

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stephen-King-Response-It-Setback-Perfectly-Chilling-71746.html

King's response via twitter to the news of Fukunaga leaving the project

Those were some great posts!!! I really enjoyed the insight.

mae
06-02-2015, 05:06 AM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2015/vincenzo-natali-reveals-concept-art-from-numerous-dead-projects/

Let's take a look at some of the projects Vincenzo Natali has been working on. The filmmaker recently took to Twitter to share some of the concept art, and even pages of a script, for various projects that are now dead - or have progressed into different iterations. One of them is his Neuromancer movie, based on William Gibson's book, which Vincenzo had been attached to for years. Only a few weeks ago it was reported the film had financing to move forward, but without him. He also posted some pitch art (where a director creates art to show what their version of a movie would look/feel like) for a Predator movie and his take on Stephen King's It adaptation. The It movie also hit a snag, with the director leaving that, too. View below.

https://twitter.com/Vincenzo_Natali/status/605355213977874432

PITCH IMPERFECT 2: #Pennywise designs from #StevenKing's #It: Good drawings by #AmroAttia, not so good ones by me

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGanU9HVIAAkt5m.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGanW7-UIAIKbk5.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGanV8aUkAA3rkL.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGanWj3VIAE3PLl.jpg

CyberGhostface
06-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Not really here for gruesome Pennywise, sometimes less is more. I think the one that looks like it's a mask covering an eldritch abomination is pretty cool though.

wordslingers
06-12-2015, 05:28 AM
I hope someone manages to convince the studio to make IT into two feature films, it would actually make so much more sense. Not only to cover as much of the story as possible but also because you could split them timeline wise! It might make things way less confusing and jumbling. I also had so much faith in Cary, True Detective gives me so many SK vibes at times just from the way it's directed, so... bummer. I think he'd also said he really wanted to put focus on the kids' story, which IMO is what makes IT so great.

jsweet
07-16-2015, 12:10 PM
It finds a new director
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-kings-finds-new-director-809080

Ari_Racing
07-16-2015, 12:15 PM
He's an Argentinean director. Also attached to The Jaunt if I'm not wrong.

Xerrand
07-16-2015, 12:15 PM
First off I am not happy about it being two movies! They could make an amazing IT movie in one movie...but that seems to be the way movies go these days, stand alones are the exception. Secondly, I don't like the idea of it being ANYTHING like the Goonie's :lol: did the movie the Goonie's enter into any of your minds while reading IT before? And thirdly! - How are you honouring Stephen King by leaving out the giant spider at the end, considering the giant spider is at the end of the book.

In short: I really want a decent IT movie made, but I don't think this will be IT :lol:

CyberGhostface
07-16-2015, 12:35 PM
I really don't see how they could make 'It' one movie without severely compromising the story.

Xerrand
07-16-2015, 01:16 PM
I really don't see how they could make 'It' one movie without severely compromising the story.

I guess so, it is a monster of a book. I suppose I'm still hungover over the hobbit being three movies :lol:

Iwritecode
07-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Secondly, I don't like the idea of it being ANYTHING like the Goonie's :lol: did the movie the Goonie's enter into any of your minds while reading IT before? And thirdly! - How are you honouring Stephen King by leaving out the giant spider at the end, considering the giant spider is at the end of the book.

I don't see where it said either of these things.

Xerrand
07-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Secondly, I don't like the idea of it being ANYTHING like the Goonie's :lol: did the movie the Goonie's enter into any of your minds while reading IT before? And thirdly! - How are you honouring Stephen King by leaving out the giant spider at the end, considering the giant spider is at the end of the book.

I suggest you read the first post of this thread, which contains quotes that detail exactly the points I was arguing against.

Jon
07-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Read the first post in a thread...don't be absurd.

No remake will be the same without "Johnboy."

Iwritecode
07-17-2015, 04:45 AM

I suggest you read the first post of this thread, which contains quotes that detail exactly the points I was arguing against.

First of all, that post is over a year old. Second, Fukunaga is no longer attached to the project, so it doesn't matter what his ideas for the movie are.

Xerrand
07-17-2015, 04:56 AM
^ That's news to me, I was still just responding to the OP, but thanks for the update. I wonder what the new plan is then as regards making it.

webstar1000
07-17-2015, 04:57 AM
MAMA... sucked. I am now very nervous about this film(or films).

Iwritecode
07-20-2015, 06:50 AM
^ That's news to me, I was still just responding to the OP, but thanks for the update. I wonder what the new plan is then as regards making it.

Check the latest posts in this thread. It's all there.

Lookwhoitis
07-20-2015, 07:15 AM
MAMA... sucked. I am now very nervous about this film(or films).
They are all going to suck. When you see talented directors leaving the projects due to Producers interferance, you know that all they care about is counting the beans, not putting out a quality adaptation

T-Dogz_AK47
07-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Get Frank Darabont on the phone! Stat!!! He's the only man for this job!!!! :panic:

Lookwhoitis
08-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Fukunaga on why he left IT.

I'm severely dissapointed he isn't directing this film.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/17/cary-fukunaga-it-movie

Johnny Alien
08-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Beyond the "standard" horror ending I thought Mama was pretty good.

tiny
08-19-2015, 08:44 AM
ITS HARD to take a stephen King story and turn it into something rated TV-PG.
its very hard.

tiny
08-19-2015, 08:45 AM
the girl in my avatar is Ally BTW , Ally of Tull. She can ONLY be played on the big
Screen by DREW BARRYMORE. common sense and KA demand it.

Merlin1958
08-19-2015, 04:32 PM
the girl in my avatar is Ally BTW , Ally of Tull. She can ONLY be played on the big

No offense, but why post that thought here? this is an "It" thread not a TDT thread. Just FYI and welcome to the boards!!!

wolfehr
09-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Cary Fukunaga Offers New Details on Why ‘It’ Remake Fell Apart (http://variety.com/2015/film/news/cary-fukunaga-it-exit-1201584416/)

Sounds like he just couldn't support the creative direction New Line was taking the movie. I'm getting less and less excited about this remake :/

mae
10-31-2015, 11:29 PM
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3368274/stephen-kings-it-to-film-next-summer/

In this morning’s article revealing that siblings Andy and Barbara Muschietti will produce In Shadows for Alex and David Pastor, Variety got some fresh info on Pennywise’s pending return.

Andy Muschietti, director and producer of Guillermo del Toro’s Mama, is preparing It, the long-gestured and troubled Stephen King adaptation that would be made as two features.

Recently announced, Andy Muschietti substituted Cary Fukunaga on the New Line project.

Shooting is now set to take place next summer, partly to allow for work with children, as they have the main roles in the first part.

Casting is currently underway, with Will Poulter (The Maze Runner, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader) still in the mix for the role of Pennywise, the demonic clown. “Will Poulter would be a great option. For me he is at the top of my list,” Muschietti firmed up.

“King described 50s’ terror iconography,” he added. “And I feel there’s a whole world now to rediscover, to update. There won’t be mummies, werewolves. Terrors are going to be a lot more surprising.”

In 1960, seven outcast kids known as “The Loser Club” fight an evil demon who poses as a child-killing clown. 30 years later, they are called back to fight the same clown again.

Fukunaga’s vision for It was to create two separate films, one which tackled the protagonists as children and the second film to focus on them as adults.

Merlin1958
11-02-2015, 05:00 PM
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3368274/stephen-kings-it-to-film-next-summer/

In this morning’s article revealing that siblings Andy and Barbara Muschietti will produce In Shadows for Alex and David Pastor, Variety got some fresh info on Pennywise’s pending return.

Andy Muschietti, director and producer of Guillermo del Toro’s Mama, is preparing It, the long-gestured and troubled Stephen King adaptation that would be made as two features.

Recently announced, Andy Muschietti substituted Cary Fukunaga on the New Line project.

Shooting is now set to take place next summer, partly to allow for work with children, as they have the main roles in the first part.

Casting is currently underway, with Will Poulter (The Maze Runner, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader) still in the mix for the role of Pennywise, the demonic clown. “Will Poulter would be a great option. For me he is at the top of my list,” Muschietti firmed up.

“King described 50s’ terror iconography,” he added. “And I feel there’s a whole world now to rediscover, to update. There won’t be mummies, werewolves. Terrors are going to be a lot more surprising.”

In 1960, seven outcast kids known as “The Loser Club” fight an evil demon who poses as a child-killing clown. 30 years later, they are called back to fight the same clown again.

Fukunaga’s vision for It was to create two separate films, one which tackled the protagonists as children and the second film to focus on them as adults.

I hope they intend to sprinkle in some "Flash Backs/Forwards" into the two films. Seems like that may make it flow a little better.

Mattrick
11-02-2015, 08:16 PM

Drew Barrymore sucks.

Mattrick
11-02-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm still sad Fukunaga left the project. He was perfect for this adaptation. I was excited for several years :'(