PDA

View Full Version : Round 8-H: Rowling vs.Tolkien

Jean
01-29-2014, 02:09 AM
http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/story/61/18/026375/harry-potter.jpg vs. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/Jrrt_lotr_cover_design.jpg[/QUOTE]

ladysai
01-30-2014, 06:59 AM
I cannot possibly choose between the two series: I adore them both.

Merlin1958
01-30-2014, 01:45 PM
I cannot possibly choose between the two series: I adore them both.

I can understand that, but consider if not for Tolkien, there would never have been a, Rowling in all likelihood.

ladysai
01-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Hmmm...interesting thought, Bill. I have no doubt that Tolkien paved the way for many stories in the fantasy genre, but the Potter series isnt the pure fantasy that LOTR is. The wizarding world exists within our own world...kinda comparing apples and oranges in a way when you compare the two series as fantasies, imho.

Merlin1958
01-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Hmmm...interesting thought, Bill. I have no doubt that Tolkien paved the way for many stories in the fantasy genre, but the Potter series isnt the pure fantasy that LOTR is. The wizarding world exists within our own world...kinda comparing apples and oranges in a way when you compare the two series as fantasies, imho.

Yes, fair enough, but no doubt that one's success isn't somewhat dependent on the others' to a degree? I mean LOTR established "Wizards" in literature to a large degree. I'm sure, Rowling may have come up with "Harry Potter" on her own, but the LOTR kinda paved the way for the genre, don't you think?

Interesting discussion for sure.

pathoftheturtle
01-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Well, on that level, original versus developed, the general discussion is a very old one. I'm still not sure which of these to pick, either.

Jean
01-31-2014, 12:49 AM
I respect the historical value of LotR, but I don't really care too much about lore and all that fantasy stuff. I am mainly interested in the development of characters. Voted HP without much hesitation.

stroppygoblin
01-31-2014, 01:17 AM

Yes, fair enough, but no doubt that one's success isn't somewhat dependent on the others' to a degree? I mean LOTR established "Wizards" in literature to a large degree. I'm sure, Rowling may have come up with "Harry Potter" on her own, but the LOTR kinda paved the way for the genre, don't you think?

I would argue Wizards were established well before LOTR with Arthurian legends and books such as 'Le Mort d'Arthur' by Thomas Mallory. (If you want to read an excellent contemporary version of this, check out the books by Mary Stewart). JK Rowling herself doesn't officially state any influences, she has made a few references in interviews, these include The Iliad, The Bible, English folk lore and Arthurian tales but she has never mentioned LOTR.

Patrick
01-31-2014, 02:32 PM
If I've only read the first couple HP books, can I still vote? Or should I have read the complete series to be fair?

Merlin1958
01-31-2014, 07:33 PM

I would argue Wizards were established well before LOTR with Arthurian legends and books such as 'Le Mort d'Arthur' by Thomas Mallory. (If you want to read an excellent contemporary version of this, check out the books by Mary Stewart). JK Rowling herself doesn't officially state any influences, she has made a few references in interviews, these include The Iliad, The Bible, English folk lore and Arthurian tales but she has never mentioned LOTR.

Purely for discussion's sake, yes the "Arthurian legend" is probably "The" wizard of all time, my name sake. However, If you were asked to list "The Greatest Wizards" in literature, wouldn't "Gandalf" be number two? Also, I did not mean to suggest that, Rowling in any way "borrowed from" or was "inspired by" (though to say she didn't know about it kinda silly), Tolkien. Simply that the popularity of the LOTR and that genre helped to pave the way for later works. Few would argue, I think, that Tolkien is almost the sole author responsible for the entire "Dungeons & Dragons" culture. He was the cause and other "older legends" were then incorporated into the overall culture. Of course, it's still just an opinion.

Edit: Of course credit is also do, perhaps in smaller part to, C.S. Lewis and a few others that escape me at the moment. LOTR was the one that "Caught fire" in the late '60's, early '70's and really catapulted the whole fantasy genre. No?

Jean
02-04-2014, 12:18 AM
this poll closes tomorrow