PDA

View Full Version : Give up a cup of coffee...

stroppygoblin
01-07-2014, 06:38 AM
posting here because it is the most widely viewed forum...

The site lists 11,000+ members if everyone of them donated 0.25c the Haven fund would beat its target instantly. Now, many of those members may be long gone but there are still 1000's that visit daily. How about not buying that Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Caramel Macchiato or Non-Fat Frappuccino With Extra Whipped Cream And Chocolate Sauce today and donate the money saved to the Haven fund instead?

At the very least it will keep Bill from posting relentlessly (and thats got to be a good thing right? ) feel the love my man - just 'Ho'ing for the 'Ho :)

go on... you know it makes sense, the sense of goodwill will warm you much more than that Grande, Quad, Nonfat, One-Pump, No-Whip, Mocha ever could.

webstar1000
01-07-2014, 06:49 AM

The site lists 11,000+ members if everyone of them donated 0.25c the Haven fund would beat its target instantly. Now, many of those members may be long gone but there are still 1000's that visit daily. How about not buying that Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Caramel Macchiato or Non-Fat Frappuccino With Extra Whipped Cream And Chocolate Sauce today and donate the money saved to the Haven fund instead?

At the very least it will keep Bill from posting relentlessly (and thats got to be a good thing right? ) feel the love my man - just 'Ho'ing for the 'Ho :)

go on... you know it makes sense, the sense of goodwill will warm you much more than that Grande, Quad, Nonfat, One-Pump, No-Whip, Mocha ever could.

Well said man.. we can all afford to buy books from a few bucks to thousands... I donated $10... come on everyone... just match me!!!! It took me 2 seconds to clic the link and sign into Pay Pal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-07-2014, 07:12 AM
The Haven Foundation does not give any support to authors outside the United States.

Here are the details of the UK Charities for Authors in the UK. (You can also get "Gift Aid Tax Relief")

UK Charities for Authors
http://www.societyofauthors.org/grants

The Royal Literary Fund is the main charitable trust providing financial help to authors. See www.rlf.org.uk for information or contact the secretary, Eileen Gunn, at 3 Johnson’s Court, off Fleet Street, EC4A 3EA. Telephone: 020 7353 7150.
Turn2us is a new independent charity that helps people access the money available to them – through welfare benefits, grants and other help. Their free, accessible website is a comprehensive and invaluable resource that helps you find sources of financial support, quickly and easily, based on your particular needs and circumstances. In some cases, you can make online enquiries to grant-giving charities listed on the site. For further information visit www.turn2us.org.uk
The Professionals Aid Council is a national charity helping professionals and graduates in need of financial support. It makes modest grants to individuals and familes, who despite degree-level or equivalent education, find themselves struggling financially. PAC can offer small weekly grants and other help towards various living expenses. In addition, their education fund can give small grants towards education costs for children, and help those pursuing professional qualifications. For further information, visit www.professionalsaid.org.uk
Grants for writers in need

The Francis Head Bequest
Mrs Head, a well-known literary agent, generously established this trust in her will with the object of making grants to professional writers (writing in the English language) who were born in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, and who are over the age of 35. It is aimed at authors who by reason of illness or otherwise are in financial difficulty. She particularly wished to help authors who are temporarily unable to maintain themselves or their families owing to illness or an accident, but the terms of the trust are reasonably wide.

The Authors' Contingency Fund
A number of emergency grants are made each year to professional British authors who are in immediate financial difficulty or for the financial relief of their dependants. In association with the Contingency Fund are occasional awards for poets and women journalists:

The John Masefield Memorial Trust provides grants to professional British poets or their dependants who are faced with sudden financial problems.

Margaret Rhondda Awards assist and support women journalists who are in needy circumstances.

Please note: These trusts are only open to professional freelance writers for whom writing books or full length scripts has provided a principal source of income.

CRinVA
01-07-2014, 07:45 AM
RT - point well taken. It never occurred to me that the Haven Fund as US Only! Of course I live in the US so will donate, but I do see your point totally! Thanks for educating me.

EXPLORER
01-07-2014, 08:43 AM

OKAY You Goblin, I am sitting at a Starbucks while reading this post..... actually sipping a coffee I had FREE coupon for......
SO YES I WILL HIT UP THE DONATION BAR.... have at least one item pledged to RF for the fundraiser however your point is well taken...
Never thought how much would be raised if everyone popped in with just any amount as donation. GOOD THOUGHT.

Shannon
01-07-2014, 10:43 AM
If I was a betting man (and I am), I would say that we have less than 50 active members. "Active" as in ... posts at least once a week.

herbertwest
01-07-2014, 11:08 AM
You're only thinking about the Calvin Tower ;)

Just now : "There are currently 218 users online. 38 members and 180 guests"

George at C-Springs
01-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Yeah, but other threads are like the seedy underbelly of tdt.org, you don't venture there even in broad daylight.

Or maybe it's vice-versa ... maybe that's us!

"38 members and 180 guests" ... sounds like the registration list at a hotel next to a swinger's club.

Now, to get back on topic, if each one of those swingers, instead of buying a bottle of coffee flavored body oil, instead donated to The Haven Fund .....

bdwyer19
01-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Coffee flavored body oil?!? Ewww!

George at C-Springs
01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Sorry man, I was just trying to stick to the theme!

Shannon
01-07-2014, 01:31 PM
No, I mean the entire forum. Guests don't count, as they can't post. And I would say a good 25-50% of members who actively visit the website do not post as well.

stroppygoblin
01-07-2014, 02:31 PM
They don't need to post - just donate a little ;)

Randall Flagg
01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
If I was a betting man (and I am), I would say that we have less than 50 active members. "Active" as in ... posts at least once a week.
I guess it would be best to just close the site. No since all this work for 50 people in the whole world...

Robert Fulman
01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I went to the "Unread Posts" link in the top right corner and found 114 threads that have been posted to and not read by me (I assume that's how it works) since 1/1. Of those 114, there are 49 distinct authors of "Last Post"s. Since I'm not one of them, there are at least 50 people actively using the site. Also, I noticed that needfulthings is the last poster in 23 of those threads. Someone should go reply to him.

Shannon
01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
PM sent.

stkmw02
01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
There's a lot of information to take in here... what I gained from this thread so far is... coffee flavored body oil. Can we sell that to benefit the Haven Fund?

stroppygoblin
01-08-2014, 08:12 AM
There's a lot of information to take in here... what I gained from this thread so far is... coffee flavored body oil. Can we sell that to benefit the Haven Fund?

I think it should be tested before we can legitimately sell it. Care to rub some on and post pictures of the results? :evil:

webstar1000
01-08-2014, 08:24 AM
They don't need to post - just donate a little ;)

lol

George at C-Springs
01-08-2014, 10:06 AM
I think it should be tested before we can legitimately sell it. Care to rub some on and post pictures of the results?

Definitely off-topic now! (not that I'm saying it's a bad idea, just off topic :biggrin:)

Randall Flagg
01-08-2014, 12:49 PM
We had 95 unique individuals sign in to the site yesterday. Close to 50 unique people have posted in the last 24 hours. I think you are wrong.

Randall Flagg
01-08-2014, 01:02 PM
When I "view unread posts" there are posts by 45 unique individuals this year. This does not include threads/posts I have read (I read 90% of all posts on the site) where other unique individuals have posted

Shannon
01-08-2014, 02:37 PM
lol, yes, but how many people post once or twice and then disappear? Or how many members WERE active members and are now just kind of floating around?

Let's go at this another way:

On the 2013 HF Wall, there are 51 entries on the wall.

On the 2010 HF Wall, there were 82 entries on the wall. I would venture to say that at least half of those people/members are long gone since the website move.

We might have ten gazillion members, but how many are active? Active and regular/current users of the forums?

Randall Flagg
01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
lol, yes, but how many people post once or twice and then disappear? Or how many members WERE active members and are now just kind of floating around?

On the 2010 HF Wall, there were 82 entries on the wall. I would venture to say that at least half of those people/members are long gone since the website move.

We might have ten gazillion members, but how many are active? Active and regular/current users of the forums?
As a staff member, what are you doing to make the site a destination? Advertising for IMC doesn't count.

Randall Flagg
01-08-2014, 03:01 PM

You can mention the numbers....why not mention the fundraising amount?

Matt, et al
2009?
2010-$5,246

New Owner-
2011-$7,700
2012-$11,300
2013-$12,000

George at C-Springs
01-08-2014, 03:29 PM
What's all this got to do with the price of (coffee flavored body) oil?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. And I'll never get to use that line again.

Back on topic! Give up a latte and donate instead!

stroppygoblin
01-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Seems it exists!!
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/3108E48B-8B59-4073-8DF2-D80C701FEFB1_zpsaddcvnc9.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/3108E48B-8B59-4073-8DF2-D80C701FEFB1_zpsaddcvnc9.jpg.html)

George at C-Springs
01-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Flavored Body Sauce? Now that I've never heard before.

biomieg
01-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Maybe a poll to determine the number of active members is in order...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Maybe a poll to determine the number of active members is in order...

I'm not active.

I find it very hard to get this sofa off my back!

biomieg
01-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Touché!

stroppygoblin
01-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Rather than a poll, I have a better suggestion, if you are an active member donate to the HF!

Merlin1958
02-23-2014, 02:10 PM
I just kicked in $10!! Took a pass on my morning triple shot, extra cream, light sugar, extra foam Latte' this morning!!