PDA

View Full Version : Short and Sweet

Jean
12-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Be my creator a sovereign who never has yet been crowned
Or a blue-eyed carpenter whose words are so very profound,

Be my number the same as the Maugham’s coin or lucky for the Chinese,
Old as I am, I’m still bearing my shields, and running as light as the breeze.

Jean
12-17-2013, 01:29 AM
wow, still to takers! guys, I promise it's an easy one!!

Ben Staad
12-17-2013, 04:28 AM
I don't have a guess. :cry:

Jean
12-17-2013, 04:30 AM
the answer is one word, a noun!

mystima
12-17-2013, 03:54 PM
messiah

Jean
12-17-2013, 11:31 PM
it's a good guess (probably inspired by the carpenter part?), but the answer is much simpler!

all clues must work somehow! the only part of the riddle that is not really a clue is "as light as the breeze" that is there for the rhyme's sake

stroppygoblin
12-18-2013, 01:37 AM
Snake? or Horse?

Jean
12-18-2013, 02:00 AM
think of the two "creators" and of the two "numbers"; then the shields

ladysai
12-18-2013, 09:55 AM
This lady is boggled by bears' hints as well as their riddles...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nenTDTatfb0/UKYw5vD2RJI/AAAAAAAAd-A/yq_QQdwGoAA/s320/calvin-faces.jpg

Jean
12-18-2013, 11:15 AM
maybe if you think of the numbers first it will help

stroppygoblin
12-19-2013, 07:14 AM
ok, i'm going to post my (limited) thoughts on this so I can
a) help others get to the solution
OR (more likely)
b) provide amusement at my feeble thought processes

so, clue summary:
1. its a single word and it's a noun (could be proper noun, could be common noun - not clear yet)
2. it has to meet all the clues
3. the first two are words, the second two are numbers, the third is unknown but has something to do with 'shields'

so lets look at line 1 and 2, which bears refers to as 'creators'.
Line 1 refers to 'a sovereign who never has yet been crowned'. My first thought on this was a coin (ie a gold sovereign) but bears then referred to it as a creator. So am now trying to think of a an uncrowned King or Monarch from history. I also thought God might fit this.
Line 2 This HAS to be Jesus.
Line 3 A number that is the same as (presumably equals) 'Maugham’s coin or lucky for the Chinese' - Lucky for the Chinese has to be the number 8 (although I threw in some guesses around Chinese new year). Maugham’s coin is proving tricky to get to a number. I can only find reference to a Maugham’s coin in the novel by W. Somerset (Ashenden) where a coin is flipped. I can't find any reference to what type of coin or its numerical value.
Line 4 'Old as I am, I’m still bearing my shields' - Old as I am indicates whatever the noun is has been around a while, so nothing modern. 'bearing my shields' has me flummoxed!

so that leaves me with something thats been around a while, created by God or Jesus and comes in 8's ....

Jean
12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
1. its a single word and it's a noun (could be proper noun, could be common noun - not clear yet)
yes

2. it has to meet all the clues
yes

3. the first two are words
nouns, anyway

the second two are numbers
yes

the third is unknown but has something to do with 'shields'
quite

am now trying to think of a an uncrowned King or Monarch from history. I also thought God might fit this.
clue 1
look closer

Line 2 This HAS to be Jesus.
No! The carpenter part requires some around-the-corner thinking, while all the rest is quite straightforward

Line 3 A number that is the same as (presumably equals) 'Maugham’s coin or lucky for the Chinese' - Lucky for the Chinese has to be the number 8 (although I threw in some guesses around Chinese new year).
YES!!! so, one of the numbers is 8!

Maugham’s coin is proving tricky to get to a number. I can only find reference to a Maugham’s coin in the novel by W. Somerset (Ashenden) where a coin is flipped. I can't find any reference to what type of coin or its numerical value.wrong track

Line 4 'Old as I am, I’m still bearing my shields' - Old as I am indicates whatever the noun is has been around a while, so nothing modern.
depends...

so that leaves me with something thats been around a while, created by God or Jesus and comes in 8's ....no, alas, no! except the been around a while part

stroppygoblin
12-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Is it Christine?

uncrowned Monarch = Stephen King (created the book)
Blue eyed Carpenter = John Carpenter (created the film)
numbers are 5 and 8 (Still don't get the 5 but 8 is lucky for Chinese) (Christine is a Plymouth Fury '58 )
Old and shields, presume this is a reference to the age of the car and the fact it can restore itself?

Jean
12-19-2013, 08:38 AM
No, but so close!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Carpenter and 5 are both wrong, but the rest is only one step away! Stephen King is correct, of course.

stroppygoblin
12-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Damn! thought I had it! Doh, thinking cap back on... :doh:

stroppygoblin
12-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Buick ?

ladysai
12-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Buick ?

I think youve got it...thats the only 8 in an SK book that I know of.

Jean
12-19-2013, 09:30 AM
yes! now, who is the carpenter and what is the other number?

Ben Staad
12-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I would never, ever, ever, win a goose. :confused1:

yes! now, who is the carpenter and what is the other number?

stroppygoblin
12-19-2013, 09:32 AM
I'd guess at Karen Carpenter - thinking about the number and researching her link to Buick

ladysai
12-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Is it room 218?
a carpenter built it...and it has an 8...

Jean
12-19-2013, 09:34 AM
I'd guess at Karen Carpenter - thinking about the number and researching her link to Buickit's the first time in my life that I hear of a Karen Carpenter...

clue 2
the German for "carpenter" is Zimmermann

Is it room 218?
?????

stroppygoblin
12-19-2013, 09:38 AM
I'd guess at Karen Carpenter - thinking about the number and researching her link to Buickit's the first time in my life that I hear of a Karen Carpenter...

clue 2
the German for "carpenter" is Zimmermann

Is it room 218?
?????

Doh! - you are dealing with an English Goblin bears, we only speak one language and are fluent in only 2 more (American and Australian)

As for Karen Carpenter - you must have heard her music??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Carpenter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Carpenter)
bears should definitely listen if they have not - she has the most hauntingly beautiful voice ever.

ladysai
12-19-2013, 09:40 AM

http://youtu.be/YR1ujXx2p-I

Is it room 218?
?????

Exactly. :panic:

Jean
12-19-2013, 09:41 AM
thank you goblin! bears love beautiful voices!

you don't have to know languages to make that connection... maybe you should be an American, but, then again, bears are not. LOL, I thought it was so obvious it would stick out like a sore thumb now that we know the correct (though still incomplete) answer!

Jean
12-19-2013, 09:43 AM
what's now left to guess:

blue-eyed carpenter* with profound words, creator of a [buick + a number that's Maugham coin]

hint: the title of the riddle is a very vague clue... only for the big admirers of the said carpenter

*think German, but it's not enough

stroppygoblin
12-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Ok, so The Answer is 'Buick' - The link is based on "From a Buick 8"

Be my creator a sovereign who never has yet been crowned - Stephen King, wrote the book and is therefore the creator
Or a blue-eyed carpenter whose words are so very profound, Zimmermann is German for 'Carpenter' :doh: Zimmermann was the real surname of Bob Dylan. Apparently his song "From a Buick 6" inspired the title (wow bears - that was cryptic!)

Be my number the same as the Maugham’s coin or lucky for the Chinese, Maugham - still no clue on Maughams coin, but I'm guessing the number is 1953 (model year of the Buick), Chinese Lucky number is 8
Old as I am, I’m still bearing my shields, and running as light as the breeze. - The Buick is an old car and it's emblem is a shield

Jean
12-19-2013, 10:24 AM
YES!!!

thus, the other number is, obviously, 6

From a Buick 6
From a Buick 8

last clue

what is Maugham's most famous novel apart from The Theatre?

the shields:

http://www.cartype.com/pics/3252/small/buick_logo_2002.jpg

ladysai
12-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Ashenden?

stroppygoblin
12-19-2013, 10:56 AM
The Moon and Sixpence! Doh!
Maughams coin is a sixpence :doh:

Completely excellent bears - had me tearing my hair out until I got the obvious King reference!

(Now go finish my Anagrams so I can post a new set!)

Jean
12-19-2013, 11:24 AM
bears were so proud of this puzzle that they gave away too many clues - but goblins and sweet ladies would have sure guessed anyway!

a motorized goose for the winner!

http://www.christies.com/lotfinderimages/D53599/a_steiff_small_mohair_goose_on_wheels_white_speckl ed_head_and_wings_bl_d5359961h.jpg

: runs to stare at anagrams once again :

ladysai
12-19-2013, 11:55 AM
bears were so proud of this puzzle that they gave away too many clues - but goblins and sweet ladies would have sure guessed anyway!

This lady was lost through the entire puzzle...
:doh:

Jean
12-19-2013, 01:25 PM
happens to bears all the time :rose:

Iwritecode
12-19-2013, 01:32 PM

I'm still confused.

Merlin1958
12-19-2013, 04:41 PM

I'm still confused.

Welcome!! We have a "club" and everything!!! You're among the confused here!! LOL J/K

Jean
12-20-2013, 01:15 AM
ok

this is a traditional fair-day-goose riddle, of the kind we used to play a lot here, and I hope will play in the future

Be my creator a sovereign who never has yet been crowned - Stephen King
Or a blue-eyed carpenter whose words are so very profound, - Bob Dylan, real name Robert Zimmerman, Zimmermann being German for "carpenter". Dylan is actually blue-eyed.

Be my number the same as the Maugham’s coin or lucky for the Chinese, Maugham's second most famous novel is The Moon and Sixpence; the numbers are, respectively, 6 and 8 (Chinese lucky number)
Old as I am, I’m still bearing my shields, and running as light as the breeze. Buick celebrated its 100th anniversary a few years ago; I posted the three-shileds logo above

the answer is Buick (From a Buick 6, a poem by Dylan; From a Buick 8, a novel by King)

In this type of riddles, traditionally, the title of a riddle is not supposed to give a clue, so it doesn't have to have any connection whatsoever to the riddle itself , but sometimes there are some vague associations. Mine comes from a Dylan song (Our conversation was short and sweet//It nearly swept me off my feet)

stroppygoblin
12-20-2013, 02:30 AM
ok

this is a traditional fair-day-goose riddle, of the kind we used to play a lot here, and I hope will play in the future

And an excellent riddle at that - one to make Cort proud! :pullhair:

I really like this kind of thing, but so far suck at producing one. It always seems the answer is to obvious when you try to include clues in the lines. (Mind you bears, thought that and this one was hard!)

Jean
12-20-2013, 04:10 AM
It always seems the answer is to obvious when you try to include clues in the lines. (Mind you bears, thought that and this one was hard!)I think the same every time I compose a riddle, so don't worry, just post the next that comes to your mind! I am sure it will be awesome! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)

Jon
12-20-2013, 05:40 AM
I was so entertained.

Good job, Riddlemaster!

Iwritecode
12-20-2013, 07:27 AM
ok

Be my creator a sovereign who never has yet been crowned - Stephen King
Or a blue-eyed carpenter whose words are so very profound, - Bob Dylan, real name Robert Zimmerman, Zimmermann being German for "carpenter". Dylan is actually blue-eyed.

Be my number the same as the Maugham’s coin or lucky for the Chinese, Maugham's second most famous novel is The Moon and Sixpence; the numbers are, respectively, 6 and 8 (Chinese lucky number)
Old as I am, I’m still bearing my shields, and running as light as the breeze. Buick celebrated its 100th anniversary a few years ago; I posted the three-shileds logo above

the answer is Buick (From a Buick 6, a poem by Dylan; From a Buick 8, a novel by King)

In this type of riddles, traditionally, the title of a riddle is not supposed to give a clue, so it doesn't have to have any connection whatsoever to the riddle itself , but sometimes there are some vague associations. Mine comes from a Dylan song (Our conversation was short and sweet//It nearly swept me off my feet)

OK, makes sense now but I never in a million years would have gotten the second clue. I had no idea Bob Dylan’s real name was Zimmerman and didn’t know what it meant in German.

Learn something new everyday I guess.

stroppygoblin
12-20-2013, 07:51 AM
OK, makes sense now but I never in a million years would have gotten the second clue. I had no idea Bob Dylan’s real name was Zimmerman and didn’t know what it meant in German.

Learn something new everyday I guess.

I looked at this off and on for a few days, I was really helped by 2 of bears clues, one of which I should have got without any help, which was the uncrowned Monarch - talk about staring you in the face.... :doh: I also would never have got Zimmermann from Carpenter, but once I had that I immediately associated with Dylan. Maugham I had researched but missed the Moon and Sixpence reference as it was lost in results that turned up the 'flipping of the coin' reference - just shows you cant rely on google to help with these things!!!

Jon
12-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Which is the point. The Riddlemaster knows Google will be used and will let Google misled you.