PDA

View Full Version : The Plant

stroppygoblin
12-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Something that I have been considering for a while now is creating my own Hardback copy of The Plant. (ie having a printed copy of the downloadable files professionally bound).

There is no way I'm ever going to own on an original, so this seems to be the only way to have it in my collection as a 'real' book.

I recall seeing a reference to someone else doing this - does anyone have any info or examples of this being done? Are there any copyright issues?

carlosdetweiller
12-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Are there any copyright issues?

I don't think so as long as you are doing it for your own personal use/enjoyment and do not plan on selling.

stroppygoblin
12-09-2013, 05:07 PM
So a bit of searching turned up it was Sir_Boome that had a copy bound, but I cant find any pictures. Terry can you provide any info?

Sir_Boomme
12-09-2013, 05:27 PM
It's not cheap....when done right.
both book and tray case are bound in imported kid-skin leather, sewn in silk book mark, custom hand-made endpapers , printed on quality rag paper, raise ribbed spine, japanese clothe for the traycase ends.
I custom designed the label and plastic case art insert for the CD that contains the original .pdf . (I utilized the front piece of pdf cover artwork and then added in a background similar to the "bloodied" endpapers.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/My%20Book%20Collection/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzk-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

Sir_Boomme
12-09-2013, 05:28 PM
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/My%20Book%20Collection/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzj-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/My%20Book%20Collection/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzi-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/My%20Book%20Collection/sk4-Lmt%20%20plus%20Eds/zzh-ThePlant-Customeditionselfprodu.jpg

Sir_Boomme
12-09-2013, 05:37 PM
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/My%20Book%20Collection/plantcasefront_zpsb398c77f.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/My%20Book%20Collection/plantcasevsstand_zpsdae24836.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/My%20Book%20Collection/plantcdandbook2_zps41058b56-1.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/My%20Book%20Collection/plantcdholder_zpse43e02b7.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/My%20Book%20Collection/2011%20-%20new%20stuff/plantcdcover_zpse21bda8a.jpg

Sir_Boomme
12-09-2013, 05:49 PM
a note on the design...
since King gave the original Plant copies as Christmas gifts/"cards" - I tried to continue the Christmas theme with my custom copy - predominately using green and red.
that works well when designing the endpapers as foliage of a plant covered in blood.

the inside papers of the traycase were to represent a negative image of the endpapers for the actual book.

at_one
12-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Been awhile since I have seen pictures of that book....so beautiful! How much did it cost to put together, roughly?

stroppygoblin
12-09-2013, 05:55 PM
WOW That is awesome!!

My plans are a little less ambitious I feel. I'd like to have it leather bound, but will probably opt for a Slipcase rather than a traycase. With regard to the actual content, did you use the pdf as is or did you modify it in any way (different fonts, layout,etc)? I note that the actual printed version handed out by SK used very specific fonts:

http://www.bloodyrare.com/pictures/1484c.jpg

Also I'd like the cover to reflect the original, i.e. (any one have a detailed image of that logo?)

http://www.bloodyrare.com/pictures/1484d.jpg

Ben Staad
12-09-2013, 06:34 PM
I think needfulthings also has a custom bound copy of this as well. I can't 100% remember though. BTW that is an amazing looking book, Mr. Commando.

Sir_Boomme
12-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Been awhile since I have seen pictures of that book....so beautiful! How much did it cost to put together, roughly?

I forget the exact total (I have it somewhere) but in the 600.00 range it seems... but I might be off on that. If I find the reciepts, I'll update this with the amount.

Sir_Boomme
12-09-2013, 07:19 PM
BTW... I kept the font as it was released.... that is how it was published, so I didn't vary from it.

stroppygoblin
12-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Bad Penny - can you contribute here? I know you have a bound copy as well, albeit slightly less ambitious than Sir_Broome's.... I'm looking for options on this one.

also does anyone have an actual original? I'd like a hi-res scan of the logo on the front:

http://www.bloodyrarebooks.com/pictures/1484.jpg

herbertwest
12-10-2013, 05:11 AM
I printed a cheap version via lulu.com :)

stroppygoblin
12-10-2013, 05:38 AM

How did that look? what control do you have over cover, typeface, etc?
was it hardcover or soft?

webstar1000
12-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Hi all... my name is Kris as you know and I run a Minuteman Press printing company in Halifax, Canada. I do this sort of work. My wife owns the company with her father. I have done this kind of thing before and copyright is a issue but if it is for your own personnel use and not being sold... your ok. For $200 (this is the min charge to perfect bind the books only) I can do 50 copies... plus the cost of printing the book. I could do this and we could have The Collector make a tray case or slip case as well. I would do this at my cost and I would put the text on white woven linen paper (looks very rich) and I could bind the covers in whatever... depends on how fancy you want to get with it and what people want to spend. We would want 50 books made as well hence bringing the cost per book down. Then it would be shipping.... just a thought and feel free to ask away any questions guys..

stroppygoblin
12-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks Kris - appreciate the offer.
I'm currently investigating local Book Binding companies to get approx costs. I think doing a bulk buy like this would be interesting, but even with that discount, shipping costs would probably price it above anything I could do here. Be very interested in a slipcase from the Collector though...

Sir_Boomme
12-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Note...printing multiple copies probably would get you in trouble... when the book was released via the web, if you bought one copy, you were allowed to print that copy - I paid for three copies for each of the 6 chapters installments - so I could print three copies.
- I was actually paying for extra copies so that King would continue writing the story - since he had stated that if people paid for it, he would keep it going, if they didn't - he wouldn't finish it (which ended up being the case)... I was trying to make up for some those that didn't pay for it...I wanted it finished.

If you printed 50 copies to sale (even at cost), and paid for only one, that would (I'm assuming) be similar to photocopying a king book then offering them up for sale - which I'm thinking is definitely a copy-write infringement and you'd get a cease and desist order from someone in king's camp.

herbertwest
12-10-2013, 10:18 AM

>>> lulu.com offer you different possibilies : hardcover, softcover. printed jacket, dustjacket.
Then it uses the file you give it. I personally used a PDF version of the book so nothing came as a surprise. Except maybe the fact that my cover wasnt of very high quality, but... for something like 15€ it's perfectly readable which is what i was looking for :)

Hi all... my name is Kris as you know and I run a Minuteman Press printing company in Halifax, Canada. I do this sort of work. My wife owns the company with her father. I have done this kind of thing before and copyright is a issue but if it is for your own personnel use and not being sold... your ok. For $200 (this is the min charge to perfect bind the books only) I can do 50 copies... plus the cost of printing the book. I could do this and we could have The Collector make a tray case or slip case as well. I would do this at my cost and I would put the text on white woven linen paper (looks very rich) and I could bind the covers in whatever... depends on how fancy you want to get with it and what people want to spend. We would want 50 books made as well hence bringing the cost per book down. Then it would be shipping.... just a thought and feel free to ask away any questions guys..

>>> 50 copies means that you are going to offer some for sale = copyright infringement...

webstar1000
12-10-2013, 10:34 AM

>>> lulu.com offer you different possibilies : hardcover, softcover. printed jacket, dustjacket.
Then it uses the file you give it. I personally used a PDF version of the book so nothing came as a surprise. Except maybe the fact that my cover wasnt of very high quality, but... for something like 15€ it's perfectly readable which is what i was looking for :)

>>> 50 copies means that you are going to offer some for sale = copyright infringement...

Even if you shared the actual proven dead cost?

TwistedNadine
12-10-2013, 10:44 AM
I did one. I used the PDF versions and had it printed on fine linen, added some artwork and had it professional bound in green leather. I also included an introduction.
Mine was no where near as elaborate as Sir Boommes but I also didnt spend anywhere near 600 either. Ill send you a PM with the details.

Something that I have been considering for a while now is creating my own Hardback copy of The Plant. (ie having a printed copy of the downloadable files professionally bound).

There is no way I'm ever going to own on an original, so this seems to be the only way to have it in my collection as a 'real' book.

I recall seeing a reference to someone else doing this - does anyone have any info or examples of this being done? Are there any copyright issues?

herbertwest
12-10-2013, 11:17 AM

From my point of view, yes. Because you basically create some kind of new edition, even if unauthorized...
Would be interested in other people's opinion

Bev Vincent
12-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Personal use is acceptable; however, even one copy made for sale (or even give away--profit or lack thereof is not a consideration in copyright violations) could be considered copyright infringement. If you paid for a download then you can sell that download to someone else, provided you remove all copies from your systems and backups. However, by selling a different version (even if you bought the electronic version, printed it, and deleted the electronic version), you are likely violating the terms of the agreement. Print rights are handled separately from electronic rights and your homemade version would be considered unauthorized. A pirate edition, in other words.

Sir_Boomme
12-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Personal use is acceptable; however, even one copy made for sale (or even give away--profit or lack thereof is not a consideration in copyright violations) could be considered copyright infringement. If you paid for a download then you can sell that download to someone else, provided you remove all copies from your systems and backups. However, by selling a different version (even if you bought the electronic version, printed it, and deleted the electronic version), you are likely violating the terms of the agreement. Print rights are handled separately from electronic rights and your homemade version would be considered unauthorized. A pirate edition, in other words.

and... if I paid for three and only downloaded one of those?

Bad Penny
12-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Bad Penny - can you contribute here? I know you have a bound copy as well, albeit slightly less ambitious than Sir_Broome's.... I'm looking for options on this one.

also does anyone have an actual original? I'd like a hi-res scan of the logo on the front:

http://www.bloodyrarebooks.com/pictures/1484.jpg

I do have a bound copy, true, however; this was gifted to me by a fellow forum member with the general unspoken understanding that I keep the origins, et al, confidential (and, yes, it's certainly significantly less ambitious then Sir Boome's - which, by the by, is a freaking awesome production).

Having said that, the copy I have is treasured, as I would not likely have the opportunity to own an original version.

Perhaps the forum member that gifted my copy could provide further details of how the publication I have was put together (materials, process, etc) should they wish to not hide their light under a bushel (for a change)? :smile:

Bev Vincent
12-10-2013, 12:30 PM
and... if I paid for three and only downloaded one of those?

It would be like buying three copies of the book -- whatever you do with them you should obey the law of conservation of copies. You could sell three copies and delete any that you have. Or you could sell two and keep a copy. You could print out as many as you like for your own use, so long as that use does not involve transferring any copies to someone else subject to the limitations I mentioned.

namelessnpoor
12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I had a copy printed, I actually emailed Mrs mod. On the King forum and asked if it was OK. She replied that if I had paid for my downloaded copy, it was fine to print for my own use. She to me I was not supposed to sell any copies, or even sell the electronic version. So I had one printed, it's softcover, plan to get a hard copy made.

Randall Flagg
12-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I solved the "problem" by just reading-then forgetting the story. I erased it from my own soft-drive (brain).

at_one
12-11-2013, 12:59 PM

From my point of view, yes. Because you basically create some kind of new edition, even if unauthorized...

I feel like I know the answer to this already, but what is the difference between what Kris wants to do and these?-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMAN-BOOKS-by-Stephen-King-1st-Copper-Stamped-HC-Silver-Skull-Foil-Slipcase-/221330997750?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item33885b01f6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BACHMAN-BOOKS-Richard-Bachman-Stephen-King-1st-hardcover-thus-in-slipcase-/370812291578?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item56562289fa

I mean if those can get sold on feeBay, couldn't people order a bound copy of The Plant from Kris by supplying proof of purchase for the online copy, thus showing only personal use?

....just my .02

Sir_Boomme
12-11-2013, 01:29 PM

I feel like I know the answer to this already, but what is the difference between what Kris wants to do and these?-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMAN-BOOKS-by-Stephen-King-1st-Copper-Stamped-HC-Silver-Skull-Foil-Slipcase-/221330997750?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item33885b01f6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BACHMAN-BOOKS-Richard-Bachman-Stephen-King-1st-hardcover-thus-in-slipcase-/370812291578?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item56562289fa

I mean if those can get sold on feeBay, couldn't people order a bound copy of The Plant from Kris by supplying proof of purchase for the online copy, thus showing only personal use?

....just my .02

personally,I don't see much difference as long as proof of original purchase was involve - but the proof of original purchase is a key element.

an argument could be made that since it is allowed to make one copy for each pdf paid for... that should I decide to sale the book (which I have no intention of doing) - that I am giving away the printed interior for free... and only charging for the external packaging (binding)- much the same way as aftermarket slipcases are allowed to be made and sold. That's the argument I would use in court anyways... not sure it'd win in a court of law...

Randall Flagg
12-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Can someone just call me and read the story to me? Or will they be shot by the CR Policeman?

Rahfa
12-11-2013, 04:06 PM
an argument could be made that since it is allowed to make one copy for each pdf paid for... that should I decide to sale the book (which I have no intention of doing) - that I am giving away the printed interior for free... and only charging for the external packaging (binding)- much the same way as aftermarket slipcases are allowed to be made and sold. That's the argument I would use in court anyways... not sure it'd win in a court of law...

Nice try. It would be like selling a pirated movie and saying you were selling the DVD and by some accident a movie appeared on it.

All kidding aside, the logic's not that bad and actually might be true - if you print the book in an expensive binding, etc., and it's not mass produced, you could argue that it's a collector's item that you created...like how Shepherd Fairley used that AP photo for his "Hope" poster. AP sued him, but he won because he had "significantly changed it" or something like that.

I think the key distinction is you're making a single copy, not mass producing it.

Lookwhoitis
12-11-2013, 06:00 PM
I solved the "problem" by just reading-then forgetting the story. I erased it from my own soft-drive (brain).
:lol:

That's usually how I do it, too. However, I only first read it a few months ago, so it's still partially in there.

Bad Penny
12-12-2013, 12:56 AM

....just my .02

From memory (subjective at the best of times) Dave from TOC (whom was selling these bad boys a whiles back - I've had a copy for quite some time) maybe got around this by stating that he "located" a half pallet of these and snapped them up on the spot, thereby putting some of the "ownership" responsibility back on whomever originally "lost" the pallet?. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not suggesting that Dave plays smoke and mirrors, however; if I wanted to sell, say, a couple of hundred copies of The Plant, I'd likely be looking in the same darn warehouse where these pallets are stored on the off chance I'll stumble across some :smile:

webstar1000
12-12-2013, 04:40 AM
Can someone just call me and read the story to me? Or will they be shot by the CR Policeman?

lol

Br!an
12-12-2013, 05:46 AM

....just my .02

Those are library bound books that were an authorized publication and as such do not violate copyright.

needfulthings
12-13-2013, 08:04 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img651/2022/dscn5830t.jpg

Art I had commissioned for The Plant.
Page 104 House of Flowers
http://imageshack.com/a/img195/4504/a235.jpg

DoctorZaius
12-13-2013, 08:27 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img651/2022/dscn5830t.jpg

Art I had commissioned for The Plant.

http://imageshack.com/a/img195/4504/a235.jpg

This whole discussion has been interesting. This book, especially the color, is a thing of beauty. You really have me thinking. If you don't mind sharing, how much did something like this cost?

needfulthings
12-13-2013, 10:34 PM
I will tell you this The Plant Zenith Rising is the most expensive book in my collection. But only because I had 17 illustrations commissioned for the book.
PAGE 137 OSA Flight 14
http://imageshack.com/a/img837/7853/img928.jpg

herbertwest
12-13-2013, 11:59 PM
That's really nice! So basically you have a whole limited edition with comiission artwork, just for yourself? WOW!

stroppygoblin
12-14-2013, 01:00 AM
That is awesome :drool:

It's certainly put my ambitions for this project in perspective!

needfulthings
12-14-2013, 01:28 AM
That's really nice! So basically you have a whole limited edition with comiission artwork, just for yourself? WOW!

I guess you can say that & I think if you pay that much to have a book made it needs a signature.
http://imageshack.com/a/img805/2553/img319w.jpg

The signature is tipped in.
An YES I DID pay to download it.

Don't feel to guilty since I do own these. Here you go Simon.
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/7048/vxl6.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img826/6392/f2ap.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img27/7469/tjcf.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img189/8839/r5bw.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img834/7015/u0wz.jpg

jhanic
12-14-2013, 04:25 AM
Bruce, your collection never ceases to amaze me. WOW!!!

John

carlosdetweiller
12-14-2013, 04:37 AM
Really nice, Bruce. A personalized set of the three original parts. Wow! Do you also have The Eyes of the Dragon?

Br!an
12-14-2013, 05:13 AM
Wow! Very nice!

This is not a gardening manual-:thumbsup:

stroppygoblin
12-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Thanks Bruce! Perfect!

needfulthings
12-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Really nice, Bruce. A personalized set of the three original parts. Wow! Do you also have The Eyes of the Dragon?

Yes. But only the Limited not the lettered. Saw one for sale 20 some years ago But to rich for my blood at the time & felt it was just like the limited unlike Firestarter & The Regulators.

carlosdetweiller
12-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Yes. But only the Limited not the lettered. Saw one for sale 20 some years ago But to rich for my blood at the time & felt it was just like the limited unlike Firestarter & The Regulators.

OK. I was confused. I was under the impression that you received those copies of The Plant directly from King and that you were the Bruce to whom they were personalized. If that were the case you would also likely have received a personalized red numbered copy of TEOTD. My mistake.

needfulthings
12-14-2013, 03:15 PM
You look..... But you don't see.
CLUE
LOOK AT THE DATES & they are signed to me & the wife. The 3rd part WAS sent to us from King.

TwistedNadine
12-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Bruce, your collection never ceases to amaze me. WOW!!!

John

What he said. Amazing.