PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Reading Order?

Lord_Vertigo
01-08-2008, 01:02 PM
I've read the novels twice each, and now my wife is interested in reading them with me.

I'm a bit concerned that she will give up after reading the first book. I'd rather start at the fourth book, first reading the "Argument" section in order to get the basic gist of the story to that point; proceed through the seventh book, and, if necessary, read the first three as if they're "prequels."

Is that a stupid idea? If my wife is not a Stephen King reader and unprepared for the Dark Tower, should I or should I not start with book 1?

Matt
01-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I would say to start at the first book and let her know that King was very young when he wrote it--but has since revised. I see a 19 year old when I read that book, still very cool imo.

The only other option may be to have her read the short story "Little Sisters of Eluria" in Everythings' Eventual to start out with Roland because it could be considered a nice little prep story I guess.

That's my .02 on the subject, welcome to the site Lord V, great to have you here.

William50
01-08-2008, 01:24 PM
I think that she should definately start from the beginning of the series and continue from there. Personally, I think SK had to have written them in the order that he did for a reason.

jayson
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Here's one more vote for start at the start. The argument in Wolves is a good summary, but I think she will be able to identify more with the characters if she actually goes through the events with them as they unfold.

Also, welcome aboard Lord V. Hope you like it here.:thumbsup:

CyberGhostface
01-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I'd reccommend, like the others here, that she just try to read the first book. Its not that long, and I'd be surprised if it took over a week. She should be enjoying the series once she reads DotT.

By skipping the first three books (even if you're going to read them later on), you're missing out on a lot of great moments.

William50
01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree, she would miss some things.

TerribleT
01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Count me with the rest. You can't possibly really understand Roland, Jake, Eddie, or Susannah without reading the first three. You need to be there when he drops Jake, and then reclaims him. You need to see Odetta try to kill them on the beach, and experience the moment when Roland shows Detta, Odetta and they are joined etc.......

William50
01-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree, she would miss some things.

I take it back. She would miss a TON OF THINGS.

Kevin
01-08-2008, 02:45 PM
As a person who started DT on book 2 (random christmas present, didnt even ask for it), I dont think its that important to start AT book one. But skipping the first 3 is pretty crazy, I missed very little plot character development in reading #1, with the exclusion of Jake getting dropped. If you start on Wolves...you're missing too much. Since there is no reason to start her at #2 like I did, just start at #1. It's a good book, its hooked most of us hasnt it?

Lord_Vertigo
01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Oops, did I say I'd start at Wolves? I meant Wizard and Glass. I thought Roland and Susan's story would draw her in.

Wuducynn
01-09-2008, 07:34 AM
1 through 7....1 through 7.. :harrier:

Jean
01-09-2008, 07:38 AM
1 through 7....1 through 7.. :harrier:
Absolutely.

Also, Lord_Vertigo, warn her that The Gunslinger is greatly different from the rest, so if she doesn't like it, she might have a nice surprize with The Drawing.

jayson
01-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Oops, did I say I'd start at Wolves? I meant Wizard and Glass. I thought Roland and Susan's story would draw her in.

Most of what I liked about reading W&G in order was that it made you look at Roland in a whole new light.

I think it's important to see Roland in the way his tet does for the first books, and then experience how their perceptions of him change as the learn about...

The double traumas of Susan's death and him accidentally killing his mom

I think if you know these things in advance of reading the first three books it would result in seeing Roland differently. His tet didn't know about these events until they were well into their quest and I think the reader shouldn't either.

sarah
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
I suggest starting with The Gunslinger. It might help if you rented it on audio from the library. Sometimes, for me, it is easier to start a book that way. You can't take away the three best books, imo, from your wife's reading experience.

Lord_Vertigo
01-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks, everyone! I think, after further thought and your advice, I will start on the first book. I just read over the arguments, and it just doesn't cover enough. More than anything, at least for me, the new reader needs to know just how dark and inhuman a killing machine Roland is. No other book brings that out quite as much as the first one.

William50
01-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Good idea!

jayson
01-13-2008, 05:38 AM
More than anything, at least for me, the new reader needs to know just how dark and inhuman a killing machine Roland is. No other book brings that out quite as much as the first one.

And that's what I meant by having her see Roland the way the Tet does, as a cold-blooded killer first, and only after being long on the road with him will she see him as a much more complex human being. I think W&G particularly has that much more impact when you've read the first three previously.

Wuducynn
01-13-2008, 09:16 AM
More than anything, at least for me, the new reader needs to know just how dark and inhuman a killing machine Roland is. No other book brings that out quite as much as the first one.

And that's what I meant by having her see Roland the way the Tet does, as a cold-blooded killer first, and only after being long on the road with him will she see him as a much more complex human being. I think W&G particularly has that much more impact when you've read the first three previously.

Thats a damn good point R_of_G. :cool:

jayson
01-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Thats a damn good point R_of_G. :cool:

Of course it is, I made it. :lol: Seriosuly though, I do think W&G has a much greater impact when you've read the other three. Before he tells his story of Mejis, the tet see a different Roland than the man they see when he completes the tale. I think it's important for the reader to come to the same realizations as the tet in a similar time structure.

Jean
01-13-2008, 10:01 AM
the point is good indeed, but it would be even better if there was ever any sense in reading any book from any other place but the begining. Now it, while still being good, seems a little redundant.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
To be honest, I think she should read them in the order they were written. Just let her know that the series gets way better after the first one. Hell, I was around 13 yuears old when I read the first book, and I kept reading. If it didn't bore me to tears, it won't bore your wife. Btw, it was also my first SK book, so trust me, I think it will be a good choice.

Wuducynn
01-13-2008, 10:51 AM
To be honest, I think she should read them in the order they were written. Just let her know that the series gets way better after the first one. Hell, I was around 13 yuears old when I read the first book, and I kept reading. If it didn't bore me to tears, it won't bore your wife. Btw, it was also my first SK book, so trust me, I think it will be a good choice.

I disagree that the series got "way better" after the first one. But it does pick up the pace. The first one is very dream-like and slow. Which is not to everyones taste. By the way, I love your signature and welcome to the DarkTower.com.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 10:55 AM

I disagree that the series got "way better" after the first one. But it does pick up the pace. The first one is very dream-like and slow. Which is not to everyones taste. By the way, I love your signature and welcome to the DarkTower.com.
Thanks, it's been awhile, All_Hail. :)

Well, I don't mean to say that "The Gunslinger" isn't a good book. On the contrary, I quite like it. But since I have no idea how someone else is going to feel about it, I always start them on the series with a promise that if they don't like the first book, to stay the course until the end of book 2, because it sets the correct tone for the rest of the series, unlike the first book, which feels more like a seperate advanture tale at times when I reasd it.

Wuducynn
01-13-2008, 11:02 AM

Well, I don't mean to say that "The Gunslinger" isn't a good book. On the contrary, I quite like it. But since I have no idea how someone else is going to feel about it, I always start them on the series with a promise that if they don't like the first book, to stay the course until the end of book 2, because it sets the correct tone for the rest of the series, unlike the first book, which feels more like a seperate advanture tale at times when I reasd it.

I know Drawing is where King really starts to get a feel for the rest of the series. When I made the above post I was wondering if that was the same Dud-a-chum? from .Net..great to have you over here! :cool:

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 11:14 AM

I know Drawing is where King really starts to get a feel for the rest of the series. When I made the above post I was wondering if that was the same Dud-a-chum? from .Net..great to have you over here! :cool:

Yeah, it's me. Great to be here! Sorry I've been away for so long, but I've been in Japan for awhile. Back now, though, and ready for more Tower talk! :rock:

Lord_Vertigo
01-13-2008, 01:30 PM
It makes me glad King wrote the books in sequence, unlike a certain filmmaker who put out the last three "episodes" of his films BEFORE the first three ... which makes the "where do I start?" issue more arguable.

Dud-a-chum?
01-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Not really, just start from the beginning now that all six films are made...

cozener
01-14-2008, 06:24 AM
I'd rather start at the fourth book... Considering that the first 4 books are the best ones I really wouldn't do that. They're the ones that are truly spellbinding. To skip these won't give her the chance to be drawn in by everything that makes the Dark Tower the Dark Tower. She'll miss the atmosphere set in the first 4 books. The tone will not be set, the characters will not be developed the way they should be, and the story itself will make no sense to her.

I do understand why you might be tempted to start with the fourth as much of W&G happens before The Gunslinger but lets look at the effect of this on just one character...Roland. Its important that the reader be caught up in the mystery of Roland then learn about his past later. To do otherwise, I think, would be taking something huge away from that character and thus from the story as a whole because he really should start out as someone that we know nothing about. How can you understand Roland without Tull? Without the dropping of Jake? Without the Long Palaver with Walter? I won't even get started on how complicated it would be to understand the rest of the ka-tet and the reasons they are the way they are without reading the first three books first.

Wuducynn
01-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Considering that (in my very stupid, foolish, severely WRONG opinion) the first 4 books are the best ones .

cozener
01-14-2008, 07:52 AM
:nana:

Wuducynn
01-14-2008, 08:15 AM
See? Bananas can never have right opinions!

Jon
01-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Damn!!!

I thought this thread was about suggestive reading!

Dud-a-chum?
01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd rather start at the fourth book... Considering that the first 4 books are the best ones I really wouldn't do that. They're the ones that are truly spellbinding. To skip these won't give her the chance to be drawn in by everything that makes the Dark Tower the Dark Tower. She'll miss the atmosphere set in the first 4 books. The tone will not be set, the characters will not be developed the way they should be, and the story itself will make no sense to her.

I do understand why you might be tempted to start with the fourth as much of W&G happens before The Gunslinger but lets look at the effect of this on just one character...Roland. Its important that the reader be caught up in the mystery of Roland then learn about his past later. To do otherwise, I think, would be taking something huge away from that character and thus from the story as a whole because he really should start out as someone that we know nothing about. How can you understand Roland without Tull? Without the dropping of Jake? Without the Long Palaver with Walter? I won't even get started on how complicated it would be to understand the rest of the ka-tet and the reasons they are the way they are without reading the first three books first.

Actually, I think I'm with All_Hail on this one . . . While W&G happens to be my personal favorite, TDT and SoS are way above TG and DotT on my rating scale, now that I have had time to take in the series as a whole. (My top three DT books, however would have to be W&G, TW and TDT.)

So, no, at least in my opinion, the first four are not "the best", as I consider TG to be second to last on my rating scale.

Dud-a-chum?
01-14-2008, 12:25 PM
As to which order it should be read in, I DO agree with Cozener on the basis of the characters and concepts being introduced in the first four entries of the series (In that order). Remember, only the middle section of W&G is Roland's past. A good chunk of that book continues the main plot. Granted that books V-VII also reveal quite a bit more, that information would only make sense if one has read everything that took place before it, and starting someone on the the fourth book, directly in the middle of the series, will confuse a person much more than a poorly written first volume ever would, because by the time you have gotten to that point, The concept of drawing people has been introduced, characters have already undergone huge changes, Flagg has been described, Roland's days in Gilead have a;ready been introduced to the reader. All of those things need to be known before book IV and onward, as far as I am concerned.

Jean
01-14-2008, 12:34 PM
As to which order it should be read in <...>
is it that I misunderstand something, or has the world gone mad? (or only I have?) Are we seriously discussing whether a book should be read from the beginning or the middle? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif

sarah
01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Jean, the world indeed has gone mad! how is this even a discussion? The Dark Tower Books should and MUST be read in order.

I should just move this whole thread to the clearing for spite. :P

Wuducynn
01-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Repeat after me until it sinks in thoroughly.... Read the Dark Tower series 1-7...

jayson
01-14-2008, 12:46 PM
As the Mad Hatter says to Alice... "start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop."

Jean
01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
As the Mad Hatter says to Alice... "start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop."
that's what occured to me, too... and then it also dawned upon me that the Hatter was mad, after all... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

Matt
01-14-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm wondering if anyone will think of the children!!

Stop the madness!!

:lol:

jayson
01-14-2008, 01:08 PM
we're all mad here

Jean
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
but I purr when I'm happy... and don't wag my tail, we bears have none to speak of...

oh wait, it's not Alice thread

Guys, I believe if Lord_Vertigo has by now come to a conclusion on what his wife should start with, it should really be moved the thread to the clearing, let it be happy there. So, if anyone has anything else to say about which is the best order of reading a book, let them do it now.

Unless, of course, anyone comes up with a very good idea of why anything should be read backasswards... then this thread will be some more.

Matt
01-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Works for me Jean, I can't imagine anyone could come up with a valid argument for that. :lol:

TerribleT
01-14-2008, 01:54 PM
To the clearing it is!!!!!!

sarah
01-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Jean, if you don't mind, I'll just move this to The Clearing now. It keeps getting bumped on my Unread Posts and it's bugging me. :D

Jean
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
so be it

::sound of requiem::