PDA

View Full Version : Hellraiser

fearless-freak
10-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Clive Barker announced some HUGE news via his Facebook page. He will be rebooting Hellraiser starring Doug Bradley!

Here is what the horror legend had to say:

HOT FROM HELL! My friends, I have some news which may be of interest to you. A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with Bob Weinstein of Dimension Pictures,in the course of which I pitched a remake of the first HELLRAISER film. The idea of my coming back to the original film and telling the story with a fresh intensity-honoring the structure and the designs from the first incarnation but hopefully creating an even darker and richer film-was attractive to Dimension. Today I have officially been invited to write the script based upon that pitch.What can I tell you about it? Well, it will not be a film awash with CGI. I remain as passionate about the power of practical make-up effects as I was when I wrote and directed the first HELLRAISER. Of course the best make-up in the world loses force if not inhabited by a first-rate actor. I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley,and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed. So once the papers are signed, I will open a Lemarchand Configuration,dip my quill in its contents and start writing . I promise that there will be nowhere on the Internet where the news of my progress will be more reliable than here, because the only author of these reports will be Your Infernal Corespondent, me. My very best wishes to you all, my friends.
Clive.

Mattrick
10-25-2013, 09:24 AM
I'd be more excited if I enjoyed the Hellraiser series. The first one I found to be exceptionally boring and melodramatic and not very scary. I did enjoy Bloodline when I was younger but I think it had a cooler idea behind it and F. Murray Abraham

Shannon
10-25-2013, 09:52 AM
I'll watch it. Probably downloaded.

Odetta
10-26-2013, 03:57 PM
That is very exciting news! I can't wait!

Fall of Gilead
10-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Awesome. Clive and Doug participating is the way to make it right!

Merlin1958
10-28-2013, 04:53 PM
This "Reboot" thing is getting a little out of control, no?

I mean, wait ten-plus years and then, take a mulligan? LOL LOL

DoctorZaius
10-28-2013, 07:24 PM
I hope the deal falls through. The original is classic horror. Leave well enough alone! Barker has more than enough material that warrants attention in hollywood. Yet another case of money grabbing by hollywood and, sad to say, Barker.

Merlin1958
10-29-2013, 03:18 PM
I hope the deal falls through. The original is classic horror. Leave well enough alone! Barker has more than enough material that warrants attention in hollywood. Yet another case of money grabbing by hollywood and, sad to say, Barker.

Well, for once we agree!!! How about "The Great and Secret Show" or "Weaveworld"??? To name a couple off the top of my head.

DoctorZaius
10-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Well, for once we agree!!! How about "The Great and Secret Show" or "Weaveworld"??? To name a couple off the top of my head.

I think we agree more than we would like to let on. Weaveworld, Imajica would be great choices, though The Damnation Game and Coldheart Canyon would be my first choices. I love Great and Secret Show, but seeing as it is part of an unfinished series I would hold back till Barker decides to finish it.

fearless-freak
10-29-2013, 10:46 PM
in my mind there's only one person who can do a Weaveworld movie Guillermo Del Toro and hopefully The Scarlet Gospels will be published and eventually made in to what could be the final Hellraiser film

Lookwhoitis
10-30-2013, 03:34 PM
in my mind there's only one person who can do a Weaveworld movie Guillermo Del Toro
WOW! Fantastic idea. Unfortunately, will it ever happen? Probably not. del Toro got his development of Lovecraft's at the Mountains of Madness halted by the Universal (Comcast) suits. The bean counters just dont want to put big budget into genre film as it historically under produces in the bean counting contest.

It supremely sucks that we are into the technological age in which we can make many of these dreams of imagination into reality on celluloid, but ahem, nobody wants to pay for it because making those artistic visions real MIGHT not be a good return on investment.

Merlin1958
10-30-2013, 08:35 PM

I think we agree more than we would like to let on. Weaveworld, Imajica would be great choices, though The Damnation Game and Coldheart Canyon would be my first choices. I love Great and Secret Show, but seeing as it is part of an unfinished series I would hold back till Barker decides to finish it.

Both could stand as singular films if, I recall properly, but you do make a good point.

Jimimck
10-31-2013, 12:57 AM
Love the idea! The last one with that new pinhead was just terrible. Its like the new nightmere with a new Freddy when Englund is still available and AWESOME!

fearless-freak
10-31-2013, 01:49 AM
Love the idea! The last one with that new pinhead was just terrible. Its like the new nightmere with a new Freddy when Englund is still available and AWESOME!

FvJ was Englund's last go around as Freddy, after Hellbound the studio that bought the rights to the Hellraiser franchise kicked Barker to the kerb and decided to set the sequels in america

Fall of Gilead
10-31-2013, 08:40 PM
After looking at Clive's site, I'm very interested about that extended cut of Nightbreed, which went grossly underrated.

mae
10-08-2016, 09:58 AM
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20000

Arrow Video has announced that it will release on Blu-ray Hellraiser: The Scarlet Box. The box set will be available for purchase in the United States on December 13.

Stephen King was once quoted as saying: "I have seen the future of horror… his name is Clive Barker." That future became reality when, in 1987, Barker unleashed his directorial debut Hellraiser – launching a hit franchise and creating an instant horror icon in the formidable figure of Pinhead.

Barker's original Hellraiser, based on his novella The Hellbound Heart, follows Kirsty Cotton (Ashley Laurence) as she comes head-to-head with the Cenobites – demonic beings from another realm who are intent on reclaiming the soul of her deviant Uncle Frank. Picking up immediately after the events of the original Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser II finds Kirsty detained at a psychiatric institute and under the care of Phillip Channard, a doctor who abuses his position to realise his own dark aims. In Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth, a reporter investigating a mysterious death at a nightclub finds herself in the way of Pinhead and the Cenobites, who plan to bring their horrifying world into our own.

Coming at a time when the genre was degenerating into self-parody, Hellraiser offered a fiercely unique vision that approached its horrors with a far greater degree of seriousness than many of its contemporaries.. Along with its sequels, the Barker-produced Hellbound and Hell on Earth, Arrow Video is proud to present some of the most terrifyingly original films in the history of horror in brand new 2K transfers.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENT:

Brand new 2K restorations of Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser II, and Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Uncompressed PCM Stereo 2.0 and Lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound for Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Lossless DTS-HD MA 2.0 sound for Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for all three films
Limited Edition bonus disc
Exclusive 200-page hardback book with new writing from Clive Barker archivists Phil and Sarah Stokes
20-page booklet featuring never-before-seen original Hellraiser concept art
Limited Edition packaging with new artwork from Gilles Vranckx
Set of 5 exclusive art cards
Fold-out reversible poster

DISC 1 – HELLRAISER

Brand new 2K restoration approved by director of photography Robin Vidgeon
Audio commentary with writer/director Clive Barker
Audio commentary with Barker and actress Ashley Laurence
Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser – brand new version of the definitive documentary on the making of Hellraiser, featuring interviews with key cast and crew members
Being Frank: Sean Chapman on Hellraiser – actor Sean Chapman talks candidly about playing the character of Frank Cotton in Barker's original
Soundtrack Hell: The Story of the Abandoned Coil Score – Coil member Stephen Thrower on the Hellraiser score that almost was
Hellraiser: Resurrection – vintage featurette including interviews with Clive Barker, actors Doug Bradley and Ashley Laurence, special make-up effects artist Bob Keen and others
Under the Skin: Doug Bradley on Hellraiser
Original EPK featuring on-set interviews with cast and crew
Draft Screenplays [BD-ROM content]
Trailers and TV Spots
Image Gallery

DISC 2 – HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II

Brand new 2K restoration approved by director of photography Robin Vidgeon
Audio Commentary with director Tony Randel and writer Peter Atkins
Audio Commentary with Randel, Atkins and actress Ashley Laurence
Leviathan: The Story of Hellbound: Hellraiser II – brand new version of the definitive documentary on the making of Hellbound, featuring interviews with key cast and crew members
Being Frank: Sean Chapman on Hellbound – actor Sean Chapman talks about reprising the role of Frank Cotton in the first Hellraiser sequel
Surgeon Scene – the home video world premiere of this legendary, never before-seen excised sequence from Hellbound, sourced from a VHS workprint
Lost in the Labyrinth – vintage featurette including interviews with Barker, Randel, Keen, Atkins and others
Under the Skin: Doug Bradley on Hellbound: Hellraiser II
On-set interview with Clive Barker
On-set interviews with cast and crew
Behind-the-Scenes Footage
Rare and unseen storyboards
Draft Screenplay [BD-ROM content]
Trailers and TV Spots
Image Gallery

DISC 3 – HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH

Brand new 2K restoration of the Original Theatrical Version [93 mins]
Alternate Unrated Version [97 mins]
Brand new audio commentary with writer Peter Atkins
Audio commentary with director Anthony Hickox and Doug Bradley
Hell on Earth: The Story of Hellraiser III – making-of documentary featuring interviews with Atkins, Keen and actor Ken Carpenter
Terri's Tales – brand new interview with actress Paula Marshall
Under the Skin: Doug Bradley on Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Raising Hell on Earth – archival interview with Hickox
On-set interviews with Barker and Bradley
Never-before-seen Hellraiser III SFX dailies
Theatrical Trailer
Image Gallery
Hellraiser III comic book adaptation [Disc gallery]

DISC 4 – THE CLIVE BARKER LEGACY – LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE

Clive Barker short films Salomé and The Forbidden
Books of Blood & Beyond: The Literary Works of Clive Barker – horror author David Gatward provides a tour through Barker's written work, from the first Books of Blood to the recent The Scarlet Gospels
Hellraiser: Evolutions – a brand new documentary looking at the evolution of the hit horror franchise and its enduring legacy, featuring interviews with Scott Derrickson (director, Hellraiser: Inferno), Rick Bota (director, Hellraiser: Hellseeker, Deader and Hellworld), Stuart Gordon (director, Re-Animator, From Beyond) and others
The Hellraiser Chronicles: A Question of Faith – short film

200-PAGE BOOK – 'DAMNATION GAMES' – LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE

Exclusive 200-page hardback book with new writing on Hellraiser and the Barker universe from Barker archivists Phil and Sarah Stokes – including chapters looking at Barker's early work, the genesis and production of the first 3 films in the Hellraiser series and much more, all illustrated with stills and rare material from the Barker archive

http://images.static-bluray.com/news/upload/6571.jpg

mae
01-09-2018, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T4oDRP69Xo

mae
05-06-2019, 01:31 PM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hellraiser-reboot-works-writer-david-s-goyer-1207685

David S. Goyer is set to write and produce Spyglass Media Group's re-imagining of Hellraiser, one of horrormeister Clive Barker's best-known creations.

Released in 1987, Hellraiser told the story of an unfaithful wife who attempts to assist her dead lover in his escape from hell. The movie introduced viewers to a race of demons called Cenobites, most notably one nicknamed Pinhead, an enduring horror character who was summoned using an antique puzzle box.

Goyer is known for his screenwriting work on Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, as well as Man of Steel. His previous directing credits include 2004's Blade: Trinity, the 2009 horror film The Unborn and episodes of Starz's Da Vinci's Demons, which he created.

As Spyglass resurrects Hellraiser, the studio will finance, develop and fast track the film for worldwide theatrical distribution. Spyglass chairman and CEO Gary Barber said Goyer was the right storyteller to turn Barker's original vision for Hellraiser into a new theatrical experience.

"For generations, his (Barker's) brilliantly twisted and imaginative Hellraiser haunted the minds of moviegoers with its searing imagery of Pinhead.” Barber added. Keith Levine will produce the Hellraiser redo alongside Goyer, under the Phantom Four banner.

Chris Stone, vp of development and production for Spyglass, will oversee the project. "Having the chance to reimagine Pinhead and the Cenobites for a new audience is a nightmare-come-true. Gary is a true fan as well, and we’re committed to making something dark and visceral," Goyer, who is also showrunning the upcoming Foundation series at Apple, said in his own statement.

ratchet41
05-11-2019, 10:17 PM
i saw this too why can't they just leave a perfect film alone? this is going to suck major ass i think and i like David S. Goyer's work but i am so against them remaking hellraiser. i'm sorry there is only 1 Pinhead and that's Doug Bradley. kinda like Elm Street only has one Freddy Robert England. and anyone who is cast other than him even though they are clearly to old now for the role are medicore at best. i haven't seen all the hellraiser films just the 1st three actually and i love those with part 2 being my favorite one. but on how shitty those sequels seem to be i'm not in search of them either

mae
04-27-2020, 03:07 PM
https://deadline.com/2020/04/hellraiser-david-gordon-green-directing-hbo-series-halloween-pilot-1202918558/

HBO has made a deal to develop a series from the classic horror franchise Hellraiser, with Halloween helmer David Gordon Green set to direct the pilot and several more initial episodes that brings to the small screen for the first time Pinhead, the iconic pincushion-domed villain who heads a group of pasty-faced villains sent from hell, known as the Cenobites.

The series will be written by genre and action vets Mark Verheiden (Battlestar Gallactica, Daredevil, Heroes), and Michael Dougherty (X-Men United, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Trick r’ Treat). All of them will be executive producers alongside Farah Films’ Dan Farah, Vertigo Entertainment’s Roy Lee, along with Lawrence Kuppin and David Salzman and Panacea Entertainment’s Eric Gardner. Rough House Pictures partners Green, Danny McBride Jody Hill and Brandon James round out the EP team. Farah Films exec Andrew Farah, and Adam Salzman will also serve as co-exec producers.

The producers put together the rights package last June, based on the Hellraiser film franchise hatched from Clive Barker’s novella The Hellbound Heart. The idea is to create an elevated continuation and expansion of the well-established Hellraiser mythology. It is by no means a remake, but rather assumes the past mythology to be a given. Expect a revisit from Pinhead, the merciless leader of the Cenobites, the formerly humans-turned-demons that live in an extra-dimensional realm and are activated through a puzzle box called the Lament Configuration. The Cenobites come from hell to harvest human souls and keep balance between good and evil.

The antagonist has remained a pop culture icon for 35 years and 10 films and all the attendant merchandising.

Landing Green is a coup. The filmmaker pivoted from Stronger, an inspiring drama chronicling Jeff Bauman’s inspiring fight back from losing his legs in the Boston Marathon explosion, and revamped the John Carpenter horror classic Halloween, making a $10 million budget film that grossed $255 million worldwide. He signed on to shoot the sequels Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends. He’s in post on the first one.

There is a separate Hellraiser film project in development at Spyglass that is unrelated to the series.

St. Troy
05-01-2020, 06:17 AM
...pincushion-domed villain who heads a group of pasty-faced villains...

Kind of cuts against the majesty of the whole thing, no?

mae
11-02-2020, 09:24 AM
https://deadline.com/2020/10/clive-barker-hellraiser-hbo-series-adaptation-1234606166/

Clive Barker has joined the Exec Producing team of HBO’s developing series adaptation of his classic horror franchise, Hellraiser. Deadline broke in April that Halloween helmer David Gordon Green is on board to direct the initial episodes.

The series will be written by Mark Verheiden (Battlestar Galactica) and Michael Dougherty (Trick r’ Treat) with Verheiden running the show. They will be executive producers alongside Farah Films’ Dan Farah (Ready Player One), Vertigo Entertainment’s Roy Lee (IT), Rough House Pictures partners Green, Danny McBride Jody Hill and Brandon James (Halloween), as well as Panacea’s Eric Gardner, Lawrence Kuppin, David Salzman, and Marc Toberoff. Farah Films exec Andrew Farah, and Adam Salzman will also serve as co-exec producers.

Based on the Hellraiser horror franchise and Clive Barker’s novel The Hellbound Heart, the series is planned as an elevated continuation of the existing Hellraiser mythology. The franchise has been a global pop-culture phenomenon for over thirty years and one of the scariest. Aside from 10 films, the franchise has also spawned a book anthology, comic books, and global merchandise apparel.

Barker said he was “delighted the Hellraiser mythology is seeing a new life. It’s time the stories went back to their roots. I’m eager to bring to a new audience the most powerful and ancient elements of horror: the darkest evil invading our human lives and how we must find in ourselves the power to resist it.”

Dan Farah was instrumental in bringing Clive Barker and his rights into the project through Marc Toberoff. Farah said “Hellraiser started with Clive’s imagination and we couldn’t be more excited to have him on board.”

mae
10-07-2021, 12:25 PM
https://deadline.com/2021/10/hellraiser-jamie-clayton-pinhead-clive-barker-producing-hulu-movie-1234851827/

Spyglass Media Group and Hulu have made official the upcoming cast of David Bruckner’s reboot of Hellraiser, as well as the fact that the movie is headed to the latter streamer.

Sense8 and The L Word: Generation Q actress Jamie Clayton has been named as the new Pinhead, a role originally played by Doug Bradley, and Hellraiser architect Clive Barker is joining the production, which has already wrapped, as producer.

Spyglass and Hulu also confirmed that which has been out there on the genre sites, and that’s Grand Army actress Odessa A’zion will star in the movie.

Rounding out the cast are Brandon Flynn (13 Reasons Why, Ratched) Goran Visnjic (The Boys, ER) Drew Starkey (Outer Banks, Love, Simon) Adam Faison (Everything’s Gonna Be Okay, Into the Dark), Aoife Hinds (Normal People, Anne Boleyn), Selina Lo (Boss Level) and Hiam Abbass (Blade Runner 2049, Succession)

Also boarding as producer is Marc Toberoff, who with Barker, joins Phantom Four’s David S. Goyer and Keith Levine. Bruckner is helming off a script by Ben Collins and Luke Piotrowski (The Night House, Super Dark Times) with story by Goyer.

Peter Oillataguerre, President of Production for Spyglass, said in a statement, “Next year marks the 35th anniversary since Hellraiser first haunted our dreams. It’s only fitting to come full circle in collaborating with Clive, the original creator and master of visionary horror. We look forward to working with our partners at Hulu in bringing this unique take on the original to new audiences.”

Bruckner added, “It’s been such an honor to have Clive onboard to help support and shepherd us through the incredible universe he created so long ago. Combined with a fearless and committed cast, including the amazing Jamie Clayton, who fully embodies the role as the Hell Priest, we’re aiming to create a very special new chapter in the Hellraiser legacy.”

Goyer said, “From the moment I first read The Hellbound Heart, Clive Barker became one of my literary heroes. His work is transgressive and completely redefined the horror genre. Under the guiding hand of David Bruckner, we’re going back to the source and taking our inspiration from that original novella.”

Barker said, “Having seen some of the designs from David Bruckner’s new Hellraiser film, they pay homage to what the first film created, but then take it to places it’s never been before. This is a Hellraiser on a scale that I simply didn’t expect. David and his team are steeped in the story’s mythology, but what excites me is their desire to honor the original even as they revolutionize it for a new generation.”

Through four movies released between 1987 to 1996, the Hellraiser movies have grossed just under $50M, but have long been cult titles for genre fans. Six more features were created for the home market, with the franchise extending to graphic novels and merchandise.

Oillataguerre and Chris Stone, Vice President of Production & Development are overseeing the film on behalf of Spyglass.

Tommy
10-07-2021, 12:41 PM
https://deadline.com/2021/10/hellraiser-jamie-clayton-pinhead-clive-barker-producing-hulu-movie-1234851827/

Spyglass Media Group and Hulu have made official the upcoming cast of David Bruckner’s reboot of Hellraiser, as well as the fact that the movie is headed to the latter streamer.

Sense8 and The L Word: Generation Q actress Jamie Clayton has been named as the new Pinhead, a role originally played by Doug Bradley, and Hellraiser architect Clive Barker is joining the production, which has already wrapped, as producer.

Spyglass and Hulu also confirmed that which has been out there on the genre sites, and that’s Grand Army actress Odessa A’zion will star in the movie.

Rounding out the cast are Brandon Flynn (13 Reasons Why, Ratched) Goran Visnjic (The Boys, ER) Drew Starkey (Outer Banks, Love, Simon) Adam Faison (Everything’s Gonna Be Okay, Into the Dark), Aoife Hinds (Normal People, Anne Boleyn), Selina Lo (Boss Level) and Hiam Abbass (Blade Runner 2049, Succession)

Also boarding as producer is Marc Toberoff, who with Barker, joins Phantom Four’s David S. Goyer and Keith Levine. Bruckner is helming off a script by Ben Collins and Luke Piotrowski (The Night House, Super Dark Times) with story by Goyer.

Peter Oillataguerre, President of Production for Spyglass, said in a statement, “Next year marks the 35th anniversary since Hellraiser first haunted our dreams. It’s only fitting to come full circle in collaborating with Clive, the original creator and master of visionary horror. We look forward to working with our partners at Hulu in bringing this unique take on the original to new audiences.”

Bruckner added, “It’s been such an honor to have Clive onboard to help support and shepherd us through the incredible universe he created so long ago. Combined with a fearless and committed cast, including the amazing Jamie Clayton, who fully embodies the role as the Hell Priest, we’re aiming to create a very special new chapter in the Hellraiser legacy.”

Goyer said, “From the moment I first read The Hellbound Heart, Clive Barker became one of my literary heroes. His work is transgressive and completely redefined the horror genre. Under the guiding hand of David Bruckner, we’re going back to the source and taking our inspiration from that original novella.”

Barker said, “Having seen some of the designs from David Bruckner’s new Hellraiser film, they pay homage to what the first film created, but then take it to places it’s never been before. This is a Hellraiser on a scale that I simply didn’t expect. David and his team are steeped in the story’s mythology, but what excites me is their desire to honor the original even as they revolutionize it for a new generation.”

Through four movies released between 1987 to 1996, the Hellraiser movies have grossed just under $50M, but have long been cult titles for genre fans. Six more features were created for the home market, with the franchise extending to graphic novels and merchandise.

Oillataguerre and Chris Stone, Vice President of Production & Development are overseeing the film on behalf of Spyglass.

:thumbsup: Did you see Gottmik's Hellraiser finale look on Drag Race? It was so good the producers asked them to audition but unfortunately they aren't a very good actor.

Gottmik Almost Played Pinhead in a Hulu “Hellraiser” Reboot (https://www.intomore.com/culture/gottmik-almost-played-pinhead-hulu-hellraiser-reboot/)

St. Troy
10-11-2021, 05:08 AM
...actress Jamie Clayton has been named as the new Pinhead...

Going female for Hellpriest/Pinhead could go two ways:

- If the intent is to continue in the vein of the Pinhead known in the film world as the character brought to life by Doug Bradley, this is a horrifically poor decision that can only result in a humiliatingly bad result

- If the intent is to start fresh from the Pinhead of The Hellbound Heart (who had no specified gender and did have some feminine or androgynous qualities), it could work (and such a choice might be encouraging because of what it says they might do with the material)

No matter what they come up with, I hope it succeeds financially; the world is in no danger of forgetting King, but I believe it's ready to forget Barker within my lifetime, and that would be terrible.

mae
08-24-2022, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2kU2-Tpsbs

St. Troy
08-24-2022, 12:26 PM
Goran Visnjic - always good to see him.

mattgreenbean
08-25-2022, 04:37 AM

F********************************* yeah!

Merlin1958
08-25-2022, 12:57 PM

Man, I wish I could figure out my, Disney+ PW. I think I'm entitled to, Hulu and they seem to have some great stuff streaming!! lol lol

fernandito
09-20-2022, 01:43 PM
Yooooo this looks SICK

I love Bradley's Pinhead obv but this looks like it can be special in its own right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUlgwJNdu2I&t=17s

mattgreenbean
09-21-2022, 05:47 AM
If this is half as good as the trailer, it should be pretty enjoyable.
Hoping it's as good as the trailer though.

mae
09-21-2022, 05:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Ywy5dwo7Y

St. Troy
09-22-2022, 12:01 PM
This new one looks very good.

Can anyone confirm: it's just a movie? Not a series? The trailer makes me want 10 hours of this, not 1 1/2.

mae
09-22-2022, 01:05 PM
It's a movie, yes. Hoping this makes it two Hulu movies on my Top of 2022 list. But an unrelated series is still in the works, I believe.

St. Troy
09-22-2022, 01:07 PM
Thanks.

mae
09-29-2022, 10:25 AM
https://collider.com/hellraiser-reactions-reviews-is-it-good-hulu/

After three decades and ten sequels, the Hellraiser franchise is getting rebooted on Hulu next week. Simply titled Hellraiser, David Bruckner's (The Night House) reimagining of Clive Barker's novel The Hellbound Heart promises to drag us all into hell, where the Cenobites will welcome us with new pleasures and pains. But is the Hellraiser reboot any good? Fortunately, the first Hellraiser reactions are overwhelmingly positive, with critics praising the movie for its gory and elegant approach to the plot.

The Hellraiser franchise revolves around a mysterious puzzle box that can open a portal to a hellish dimension where there’s no difference between pleasure and pain. Some people intentionally open the box, willing to give their bodies away to the Cenobites, creatures they see as angels. Others get trapped inside the box by mistake, and their eternal torture leads them to see the Cenobites as demons. Either way, the Cenobites are unique creatures in horror movies because they must always be summoned by their victims, making each tortured soul partially responsible for the gruesome destiny they meet.

Bruckner’s Hellraiser is bringing the franchise back to the basics, with a group of curious victims involved with occult forces they don’t fully understand. Every image we saw so far also underlines how the reboot sticks close to the iconic aesthetic created by Barker's original film adaptation.

The reboot stars Jamie Clayton (Sense8) as the new Hell Priestess, Pinhead, the leader of the Cenobites. Clayton is taking over the role originally belonging to Doug Bradley, and some fans were worried she would not live up to the high expectations surrounding Pinhead. Fortunately, Clayton seems to deliver a worthy version of the character, as Hunter Bolding praises the cast on top of the visuals and “excellent kill.”

Graham Slipper also underlines how Bruckner’s Hellraiser is “poetic” besides “super violent,” which sounds like the perfect reboot. While Barker’s Hellraiser is truly scary, it also has some uncomfortable horniness about it, with a visual design clearly inspired by BDSM practices. So, it’s good to know the reboot is respecting the original work.

The praises don’t stop there, with Simon Thompson, C. Robert Cargill, and Cinema Stimulus’ James all underlining how Hellraiser is the nightmare we were all hoping it to be.

Cody Leach goes as far as calling the reboot the best Hellraiser movie since the original.

Bleeding Cool’s Scaremy K does point out that the reboot takes some time to get things going. Even so, once hell is unleashed, Hellraiser is “relentless and gory and pure horror bliss.”

Hellraiser will premiere exclusively on Hulu as part of their annual Huluween celebration on October 7.

Iwritecode
09-30-2022, 05:02 AM
One movie franchise I just never got into for some reason. I've seen all the other major ones. Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, Jigsaw...

mae
09-30-2022, 05:55 AM
Have you seen the original? It’s a true classic, not just a horror classic, either. It’s a truly great film.

Iwritecode
09-30-2022, 07:57 AM
Have you seen the original? It’s a true classic, not just a horror classic, either. It’s a truly great film.

I haven't seen any of them. Never rented the DVDs, never caught them channel-surfing, nothing.

I'm not sure how. I'm not actively avoiding them or anything. Just never came across them.

Elliot HP Spencer
10-04-2022, 12:00 PM
Looking forward to this. After all those progressively bad sequels, after Hellraiser II, hope they do Barker proud.