PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King/DT Poetry? Help

Kevin
01-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I've been assigned to pick a poet from a list of poets in English class. No offence to the list, but I wanted to make it SK or DT related. I've thought of doing Childe Rolande to the Dark Tower Came, and TS Eliot's poem mentioned in the novels. These are both exceptionally long and I cannot fit them into the 20 minute timeframe assigned. Are there any other moments in the DT series where poetry plays an important part? I've been told I can pick any poet I want assuming they are 'well-known' enough. SK is certainly well-known. :P

Also, does SK have a collection of poetry somewhere? He doesnt quite seem the type...

Jean
01-07-2008, 01:59 AM
well, The Raven comes to mind, but it is not very short, either.

I don't think it is directly mentioned anywhere in TDT, but I love the balm thing:

`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted -
On this home by horror haunted - tell me truly, I implore -
Is there - is there balm in Gilead? - tell me - tell me, I implore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

and the poem is really prominent, and discussed at length, in Black House

Also, Kevin, how would you feel about removing DT from the title of this thread, and making your introduction more general, indicating that we're going to discuss Mr.King's use of poetry? Then the thread could stay here where you put it, and, in all likelihood, develop very well.

Brice
01-07-2008, 03:48 AM
I've been assigned to pick a poet from a list of poets in English class. No offence to the list, but I wanted to make it SK or DT related. I've thought of doing Childe Rolande to the Dark Tower Came, and TS Eliot's poem mentioned in the novels. These are both exceptionally long and I cannot fit them into the 20 minute timeframe assigned. Are there any other moments in the DT series where poetry plays an important part? I've been told I can pick any poet I want assuming they are 'well-known' enough. SK is certainly well-known. :P

Also, does SK have a collection of poetry somewhere? He doesnt quite seem the type...

SK has written some poetry. If you want something DT related there is "The Dark Man".

Kevin
01-07-2008, 07:33 AM
well, The Raven comes to mind, but it is not very short, either.

I don't think it is directly mentioned anywhere in TDT, but I love the balm thing:

`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted -
On this home by horror haunted - tell me truly, I implore -
Is there - is there balm in Gilead? - tell me - tell me, I implore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

and the poem is really prominent, and discussed at length, in Black House

Also, Kevin, how would you feel about removing DT from the title of this thread, and making your introduction more general, indicating that we're going to discuss Mr.King's use of poetry? Then the thread could stay here where you put it, and, in all likelihood, develop very well.

I cant change it...can I? If you want to change it, feel free Jean. I wasnt sure what to call it to begin with.

flaggwalkstheline
10-29-2008, 07:06 AM
SK has a poem in skeleton crew called paranoid, its really cool

gsvec
10-29-2008, 09:47 AM
SK actually has quite a few poems. The Dark Man as Brice mentioned, Paranoid: A Chant as fwtl mentioned, as well as others published in "The Devil's Wine" and "Moth". If you'd like me to scan any of them for you, shoot me a PM.

gsvec
10-29-2008, 09:49 AM
And I just realized how long ago this thread actually started. :lol: Methinks maybe Kevin's english assignment has long since passed!