PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 Round 1-1, Group B

Jean
10-01-2013, 01:42 AM
In this round, consisting of two sub-rounds, we determine which of the 41 novels with 2 secondings will occupy the 11 slots left in the 100 list.

You can vote for as many as you like. Top 3 will advance to the next sub-round.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/JackLondonwhitefang1.jpg/200px-JackLondonwhitefang1.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/59/ThiefOfAlways.jpg/175px-ThiefOfAlways.jpghttp://cdn.comixology.com/2012/JUL12/midsize/JUL120381_m.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cd/HSBHill.jpg/200px-HSBHill.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Something_wicked_this_way_comes_first.jpg

Jean
10-01-2013, 02:55 AM
everyone is very welcome to comment on the votes!

bears voted White Fang and Something Wicked

Heather19
10-01-2013, 08:38 AM
How long will these threads be open for?

Jean
10-01-2013, 08:44 AM
I can't say right now. I thought I would look and see how it went. Probably five days, maybe a week; or maybe sooner, if it seems that everyone who is more or less around has already voted. I'll post a Big Warning at least 48 hours before closing, of course.

Heather19
10-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Ah, ok. I want to read Something Wicked, but that'll never happen by then.

Jean
10-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Something Wicked has a brilliant chance to move on. You'll just have time to read it before the Big Voting starts - that on the final distribution of the novels within the Top 100.

OchrisO
10-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Even though I nominated (and love) Dorian Gray, I think I would rather see The Thief of Always advance, it is such a beautiful book.

Jean
10-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Even though I nominated (and love) Dorian Gray, I think I would rather see The Thief of Always advance, it is such a beautiful book.I loved The Thief, but it is in a very unfortunate group. The Picture is an all-time classic, White Fang is our childhood, and Something Wicked is just fucking awesome!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-01-2013, 10:31 PM
I can believe that Something Wicked didnt get more secondings to start with. It was my nomination, and I was a little disappointed that it got no love in the nomination round.

Jean
10-01-2013, 10:33 PM
I can believe that Something Wicked didnt get more secondings to start with. It was my nomination, and I was a little disappointed that it got no love in the nomination round.Yes, one wonders where all these 20 people were.

It's something to think about. Looks like I might revise the policy I had in mind for the voting on the list itself. We might get the results quite different from the preliminary.

Patrick
10-01-2013, 11:11 PM
I loves me some Joe Hill.

When I was younger, I really loved Bradbury's stories. I still have many fond memories of his works. I read Something Wicked much, much later. Maybe it was just a timing thing on my part, but I really wanted to love it and simply couldn't. :(

Jean
10-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I never really loved it, either. I appreciate it, though. I think it's much better than Fahrenheit, which is currently at our very top.

Patrick
10-02-2013, 12:01 AM
When I was younger, I really loved Bradbury's stories. I still have many fond memories of his works. I read Something Wicked much, much later. Maybe it was just a timing thing on my part, but I really wanted to love it and simply couldn't. :(

I never really loved it, either. I appreciate it, though. I think it's much better than Fahrenheit, which is currently at our very top.
I didn't see F451 in the polls. Maybe I missed a round?

I think books, like many things in life, can have a more profound impact if we experience them in our youth. I still love Fahrenheit 451 and re-read it recently, although it might not hold up quite as well if I didn't have such strong memories and respect for it already ingrained. Speaking of Bradbury, The Illustrated Man was incredible and probably went a long way in forming my love for the short story format.

Jean
10-02-2013, 02:40 AM
I didn't see F451 in the polls. Maybe I missed a round?
These polls are (as specified in the starter post) only to decide who will take the 11 remaining slots: there are 41 candidates with only 2 secondings each. The books with more than 2 secondings moved on automatically, and the final order of the 100 novels in the Top 100 will be voted when the 100 list is complete.

Heather19
10-02-2013, 05:38 AM
Even though I nominated (and love) Dorian Gray, I think I would rather see The Thief of Always advance, it is such a beautiful book.I loved The Thief, but it is in a very unfortunate group. The Picture is an all-time classic, White Fang is our childhood, and Something Wicked is just fucking awesome!

Just out of curiosity, since we're allowed to vote for as many as we want why are only 3 making it on? Theoretically speaking, say all these books get more votes than books in the other round wouldn't it be better to send forward the top 11 out of all the polls?

Jean
10-02-2013, 05:50 AM
it's the question I always ask myself when we vote. The time-honored tradition was to make random groups, so I am keeping to it. I'll have a look at the results in a couple of days, though, because if the difference is too outrageous, something additional might be introduced basing on the results.

Jean
10-03-2013, 10:21 PM
since it seems that everyone who was going to vote has already voted, the poll will be closed in 36 hours

Jean
10-05-2013, 05:52 AM
last chance to vote

the poll is closing in four hours

Jean
10-05-2013, 09:53 AM
The poll is now closed.

White Fang
The Picture of Dorian Grey
Something Wicked This Way Comes

advance to the next round