PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Doctor Sleep Colorado 9/25/2013

Randall Flagg
09-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Recent torrential rains and flooding in the Boulder and Estes Park areas of Colorado have closed Estes Park.
The Stanley Hotel is in Estes Park. They report minimal damage, however the park itself is closed indefinitely and thus the hotel (and all other hotels in Estes Park) can not be accessed.
That is the bad news for those of us planning on staying at The Stanley.

The GOOD news is that the King event at Chautaqua Park (http://www.chautauqua.com/important_details.html)is on schedule, and cottages in the park are fully functional.

Randall Flagg
09-18-2013, 05:38 AM
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2013/09/estes_park_flooding_closed.php
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/estes.park.flooding.september.13.2.jpg

TwistedNadine
09-18-2013, 08:02 AM
They have a week to clear the road. One web site said there is a road cleared being used for utility and repair vehicles so I've got my fingers crossed the hotel will be accessible by Tues

Randall Flagg
09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
I have my fingers crossed, but it doesn't look promising. Now I am trying to figure out things to do in Boulder.

Randall Flagg
09-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Update:
Highway 7 just opened for visitors. Not the easiest way to access the park.
Tried to call The Stanley, but oddly enough, no answer.

Edit:
Hotel is open and accepting guests who can get there.
It take twice as long to access Estes Park via highway 7 compared to highway 36, but hopefully in 6 days conditions will have greatly improved.

Randall Flagg
09-18-2013, 12:14 PM
As of right now the only route to go from Denver to Estes Park is through Idaho Springs. The route back from estes Park to Boulder is equally challenging.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1379534996-long%20route%20from%20denver%20to%20estes.jpg

Randall Flagg
09-18-2013, 01:29 PM
The really good news is that Estes Park Brewery and Tommyknocker (sic) brewery are both open.

George at C-Springs
09-18-2013, 06:25 PM
You've got to be kidding ... had no idea he was coming to Colorado. When was it announced? Not that it matters, sold out now. That really fuxking sucks.

Randall Flagg
09-19-2013, 06:27 AM
From Estes Park Facebook:
"Thank you to all of our friends close to home and across the globe who have helped Estes Park begin the recovery of the recent flooding. There is still a far way to go, but Estes Park is open and welcoming guests! Your words of strength and encouragement have contributed to the overwhelming power of this community that is #MountainStrong!"

Directions to park via Highway 7:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Golden,+Colorado&daddr=Black+Hawk,+CO+to:Nederland,+CO+to:Estes+Par k,+CO&hl=en&ll=40.034975,-105.301208&spn=0.685553,1.674042&sll=40.05607,-105.383086&sspn=0.799908,1.209869&geocode=FRefXgIdFHS6-Sn3bGiHEphrhzHcVYAgVEbGFA%3BFcRAXwIdg0q2-Sn7uMuMerxrhzFmNmnJqbk1SQ%3BFSDDYQIdUQi2-SlbUkVOxMZrhzGyTOyqmFxkjQ%3BFXYbaAId_921-SkDGhm71mVphzEMrMqpt5iW2w&oq=Estes+P&t=h&mra=ls&z=10

Hotels and other businesses open:
http://www.visitestespark.com/maps-and-info/-coloradoflood/

TwistedNadine
09-19-2013, 06:54 AM
You've got to be kidding ... had no idea he was coming to Colorado. When was it announced? Not that it matters, sold out now. That really fuxking sucks.

Weird. Thot I Pmed you to see if you were going.

RF thanks for the research, directions etc. Still hoping the main road will reopen before Tues but good to know there is access regardless.

Randall Flagg
09-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Weird. Thot I Pmed you to see if you were going.

RF thanks for the research, directions etc. Still hoping the main road will reopen before Tues but good to know there is access regardless.
Highly unlikely.

http://google.org/crisismap/2013-boulder-floods

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/09/15/buckhorncanyon_1379306646387_921423_ver1.0_640_480 .jpg

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/09/15/firestone2_1379288645727_920562_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/09/14/bigthompsoncanyon_1379213186312_915925_ver1.0_640_ 480.jpg

George at C-Springs
09-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Hey TN - Last PMs between us were re the EOTD proof, two weeks or so ago ... but your post did get me looking to see what I might have missed and I found where Explorer e-mailed me (I think ... it wasn't a PM, only went to my e-mail) on Monday and I didn't catch it. Thanks man! Sorry I missed it, though may not have made a difference anyway. I checked StubHub and Craigslist last night; I can go if I don't mind spending $200+ on tickets. NOT! Can't really justify that cost, especially as I'd have to take a day or two off of work as well. And no guarantee of a book? Nah.

EXPLORER
09-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Hey TN - Last PMs between us were re the EOTD proof, two weeks or so ago ... but your post did get me looking to see what I might have missed and I found where Explorer e-mailed me (I think ... it wasn't a PM, only went to my e-mail) on Monday and I didn't catch it. Thanks man! Sorry I missed it, though may not have made a difference anyway. I checked StubHub and Craigslist last night; I can go if I don't mind spending $200+ on tickets. NOT! Can't really justify that cost, especially as I'd have to take a day or two off of work as well. And no guarantee of a book? Nah. Well. I was wondering also if you were kidding about not knowing. Thought for sure you would be joining the crew that will meet up there. If is workable, an easy drive and you want to come join us for the enjoyment of our company and the opportunity to see/hear Mr King, I do have one extra ticket still..... However it does comes with the caveat that I GET the BOOK..... (sorry that is the best I can offer as I have a request for spare signed books).

Randall Flagg
09-19-2013, 12:14 PM
The folks at The Stanley are very kind. Just received this response to an inquiry I made:

"Mr. Smith,

We did have room 217 available for the night of your stay, so I gave you a complimentary upgrade into that room. Unfortunately, our regular tours of the hotel have been suspended through the end of October. But if you would like to arrange a private tour, you are still able to do so."

bdwyer19
09-19-2013, 12:22 PM
The folks at The Stanley are very kind. Just received this response to an inquiry I made:

"Mr. Smith,

We did have room 217 available for the night of your stay, so I gave you a complimentary upgrade into that room. Unfortunately, our regular tours of the hotel have been suspended through the end of October. But if you would like to arrange a private tour, you are still able to do so."

Well done!!

Bad Penny
09-19-2013, 02:44 PM

"Mr. Smith,

How freaking awesome is that Jerome - congratulation :excited: !!! (and we all hope to see you on the other side :evil:)

Randall Flagg
09-19-2013, 02:45 PM
My wife isn't so happy....
She refuses to take a bath in the tub....

EXPLORER
09-19-2013, 03:44 PM

"Mr. Smith,

Very cool.... So , MAYBE we'll see you two on the 25th.

The Library Policeman
09-19-2013, 03:50 PM

"Mr. Smith,

That's great, Jerome. Spoooky!! :D

The Library Policeman
09-19-2013, 03:51 PM

"Mr. Smith,

You still considering Paris, Jim?

EXPLORER
09-19-2013, 04:07 PM

"Mr. Smith,

You still considering Paris, Jim?

I kind of doubt it. Did not get tickets.... We are doing NYC on 24th and then flying (with the King) to Denver early on 25th for Boulder event. Have friends going to Cambridge event on our tickets... and will attend PEN event in Toronto .. The wife did act like was interested however I think we were only dreaming. We have never been to Paris....would love to go however think we'll have to make our next visit with Steve when he returns to Sarasota FL

EXPLORER
09-19-2013, 04:09 PM
We are looking forward to visiting with whoever we can while at the various venues.

George at C-Springs
09-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Hey TN - Last PMs between us were re the EOTD proof, two weeks or so ago ... but your post did get me looking to see what I might have missed and I found where Explorer e-mailed me (I think ... it wasn't a PM, only went to my e-mail) on Monday and I didn't catch it. Thanks man! Sorry I missed it, though may not have made a difference anyway. I checked StubHub and Craigslist last night; I can go if I don't mind spending $200+ on tickets. NOT! Can't really justify that cost, especially as I'd have to take a day or two off of work as well. And no guarantee of a book? Nah.

Well. I was wondering also if you were kidding about not knowing. Thought for sure you would be joining the crew that will meet up there. If is workable, an easy drive and you want to come join us for the enjoyment of our company and the opportunity to see/hear Mr King, I do have one extra ticket still..... However it does comes with the caveat that I GET the BOOK..... (sorry that is the best I can offer as I have a request for spare signed books).
Dude, you're the best ... first drink is in me if this all comes together. I'll give you a definitive answer tomorrow (Friday) morning, I need to make sure that I can clear my work schedule for the 25th and 26th. Unfortunately 85 of our company "teammates" got notice yesterday that they are being let go on 30 Sep, so as a result many have unsurprisingly decided to take all of their vacation and floating holidays next week ... we're thinking it may be a pretty rough time (business must continue).

Please let me know the gathering plans, would be great to meet everyone. Would definitely be great to meet everyone in Room 217! My best friend's son goes to school in Boulder, I can give him a yell to try and get more of the local travel updates over the coming days.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-19-2013, 11:01 PM
My wife isn't so happy....
She refuses to take a bath in the tub....

That's your fault for marrying a FILTHY woman. :)

Randall Flagg
09-20-2013, 05:08 AM

"Mr. Smith,

I'm sure we will all gather.

George at C-Springs
09-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Cleared it with work, the wife, and the kids (not in that order) ... I am in!

bdwyer19
09-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Cleared it with work, the wife, and the kids (not in that order) ... I am in!

Have fun!!

TwistedNadine
09-20-2013, 09:15 AM
"Mr. Smith,

Nice! I also got a complimentary upgrade to one of their haunted rooms. Would have preferred 217 but a raven beat me to it.

Hey TN - Last PMs between us were re the EOTD proof, two weeks or so ago ... .
You and I didnt have PMs re meeting at the Stanley?? My box has been cleared out since then so cant check but Im pretty sure we did...

Highly unlikely.

Wow. After seeing those photos Id have to agree...

George at C-Springs
09-20-2013, 09:44 AM
You and I didnt have PMs re meeting at the Stanley?? My box has been cleared out since then so cant check but Im pretty sure we did...

Nope, wasn't me ... wish it had been! All good in the end though, will be nice to meet everyone. Is the plan to get together at the Stanley (or elsewhere) before or after the reading? That'll decide when I drive up on Wednesday and whether I stay overnight or not .... only about a 1.5 hr drive to Boulder from here.

Randall Flagg
09-20-2013, 11:34 AM
I will be at The Stanley Tuesday afternoon and overnight. I believe TwistedNadine and her guest will also be their Tuesday night. Explorer is in NYC Tuesday night for the King event and comes into Colorado on Wednesday.
Wednesday, AFAIK Myself, Explorer TwistedNadine and our guests are staying at Chautauqua (http://www.chautauqua.com/) park where the King event will be held. There are numerous cottages within easy walking distance to the hall where the event is being held. Mine looks to be ~150' from the venue.

Merlin1958
09-20-2013, 03:35 PM

"Mr. Smith,

Lucky bastard!!! Have a ball!!! Post plenty of pics!!!

Rachel Readman
09-21-2013, 09:05 AM
That is cool, you are one lucky (but deserving of it) guy!

Hope everyone going to this event has a really fab time, give my regards to Mr. King too. :biggrin:

George at C-Springs
09-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Just made my reservations at the Stanley for Tuesday night! Not sure what time I'll be able to make it up there, depends when I can get off of work. Looks to be about a 1.5 hour drive from C-Springs to Golden and then another 2 or so to Estes Park via Hwy 7, so with traffic and darkness probably 4 hrs or so altogether ... likely up there between 8 & 10 pm. I'll be in the main hotel, don't know what room (except that it's not 217!). Will join the festivities at the Chautauqua on Wednesday afternoon, then depending how late the reading goes will either drive home afterwards or grab a hotel in Boulder for the night (Chautauqua is sold out). Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hoping against hope that there will be a signing opportunity, so am bringing either my Gunslinger 2nd or Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption (my favorite, and you never see it signed).

Merlin1958
09-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Just made my reservations at the Stanley for Tuesday night! Not sure what time I'll be able to make it up there, depends when I can get off of work. Looks to be about a 1.5 hour drive from C-Springs to Golden and then another 2 or so to Estes Park via Hwy 7, so with traffic and darkness probably 4 hrs or so altogether ... likely up there between 8 & 10 pm. I'll be in the main hotel, don't know what room (except that it's not 217!). Will join the festivities at the Chautauqua on Wednesday afternoon, then depending how late the reading goes will either drive home afterwards or grab a hotel in Boulder for the night (Chautauqua is sold out). Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hoping against hope that there will be a signing opportunity, so am bringing either my Gunslinger 2nd or Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption (my favorite, and you never see it signed).

Have a blast!!!

Bring me back some "Redrum" beer!!! LOL LOL

Ben Staad
09-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Have fun everyone.

Randall Flagg
09-22-2013, 04:37 PM
This is very similar to the drive we will be taking up Highway 7 to The Stanley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiV3J_e977Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL_qN8WRG6o

Randall Flagg
09-22-2013, 04:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJHy-3mptmY

Note:
Not my wife. She is far prettier. I will take and post a picture of her in the tub.

http://www.collativelearning.com/PICS%20FOR%20WEBSITE/SHINING%20EXPANDED%202/woman%20in%20tub.jpg

Bad Penny
09-22-2013, 06:05 PM

Note:
Not my wife. She is far prettier. I will take and post a picture of her in the tub.

http://www.collativelearning.com/PICS%20FOR%20WEBSITE/SHINING%20EXPANDED%202/woman%20in%20tub.jpg

Yes Jerome, she is indeed :smile:

Have an awesome time (and the other members lucky enough to attend) and I (we) look forward to some happy snaps upon your return :smile:

Merlin1958
09-23-2013, 10:27 AM

Note:

Yes Jerome, she is indeed :smile:

Have an awesome time (and the other members lucky enough to attend) and I (we) look forward to some happy snaps upon your return :smile:

Dare I say, "Ditto"? Have a blast folks!!!

Ari_Racing
09-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Good luck everyone! Have a great time there! :)

AND DON'T DO THE GHOST TOUR!! Worst 15 bucks I ever spent.

Go to the Brewery. They have for sale The Shining labels and beers (even when the beer is not that good).

Merlin1958
09-23-2013, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Ari_Racing;803133]Good luck everyone! Have a great time there! :)

AND DON'T DO THE GHOST TOUR!! Worst 15 bucks I ever spent.

My friends? I'll take any "The Shining/Dr. Sleep" promotional items you can bring back!!! I sooo wish I had signed up for this venture!!!

George at C-Springs
09-23-2013, 02:07 PM
My friends? I'll take any "The Shining/Dr. Sleep" promotional items you can bring back!!! I sooo wish I had signed up for this venture!!!

Nothing says you can't catch a flight to Denver tomorrow or Wednesday, Bill, it's an easy plane ride away. Come for the company, if nothing else!

Rachel Readman
09-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Have a great time everyone, I too look forward to seeing photos and reading your stories of the event!

The Library Policeman
09-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Yep, have a blast folks! :D

Randall Flagg
09-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Stopped in Idaho Springs today for a beer at a local brewery. Tonight we stay in Black Hawk, and tomorrow morning drive up to the Stanley.
The country and mountains here are stunning. Here at Black Hawk we are over 8,500 ft. elevation. We actually will end up going down to 7,500 ft. for Estes Park.
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1379989051-Tommyknocker.JPG

Bev Vincent
09-24-2013, 02:27 AM
I remember first reading about tommyknockers in a Hardy Boys book -- they were a well known legend among miners.

carlosdetweiller
09-24-2013, 04:29 AM
I would just like to wish everyone going to The Stanley Hotel and to the event in Boulder safe travels and I hope y'all have a great time. I am sure your visit to The Stanley will be memorable. Have fun and post pics!

Rachel Readman
09-24-2013, 04:56 AM
Ask a Cornish tin miner from my neck of the woods about the knockers, they always throw the crust of their pasties down the shaft for the knockers.

Br!an
09-24-2013, 05:01 AM
Ask a Cornish tin miner from my neck of the woods about the knockers, they always throw the crust of their pasties down the shaft for the knockers.

In the US "pasties" cover your nipples. The Cornish tin miner's wearing pasties provides a rather humorous visual. I have no idea what use the Tommyknockers would have for them. :lol:

Randall Flagg
09-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Stayed in Black Hawk last night. They had us on the 27th floor. Here is the view before sunrise this morning:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380032983-Morning%20view%20Black%20Hawk.jpg

The Library Policeman
09-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Stayed in Black Hawk last night. They had us on the 27th floor. Here is the view before sunrise this morning:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380032983-Morning%20view%20Black%20Hawk.jpg

Great pic Jerome, but why the hell were you awake before sunrise? Or hadn't you been to bed.........? :evil:

Randall Flagg
09-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Early to bed early to rise...
I am actually staying at a casino, but the funny part is, my wife and I don't gamble, so the cheap room is a steal.

Rachel Readman
09-24-2013, 07:14 AM

In the US "pasties" cover your nipples. The Cornish tin miner's wearing pasties provides a rather humorous visual. I have no idea what use the Tommyknockers would have for them. :lol:

Haha, I had no idea :emot-roflolmao:. You'd burn your nips pretty bad wearing the Cornish variety, as hot as molten lava in a pastry case LOL.

http://cornishpasties.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/pasties-33.jpg

The miners used to have meat, potato and vegetable in one end with a pastry divide down the middle and their dessert at the other end. They would throw away the crust because it would stop them getting arsenic and heavy metal poisoning from touching their food with their dirty hands. The pastry was simply a container to store the food in and eat it from. The knockers always got the crust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocker_(folklore)

Great photo Jerome, you're an early riser then? (Alan beat me to it)

George at C-Springs
09-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Ahhhhhhh ......

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0737.jpg

bdwyer19
09-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Ahhhhhhh ......

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0737.jpg

Very cool!!

EXPLORER
09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Hope you all are having a blast... We look forward to palavar in CO... see you tomorrow.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-25-2013, 04:17 AM
Just stay away from the hedge animals....haha

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/The_Overlook.JPG

Mulleins

carlosdetweiller
09-25-2013, 04:37 AM
Nice work, Ralph.

CRinVA
09-25-2013, 04:47 AM
ow last time (only time actually) I was at The Stanley was in 2003, ten years ago! It was teh end of October and it snowed quite a bit! Enjoy your time and check out the Estes Park Brewery!

Randall Flagg
09-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Yesterday on the way up to Estes park, stopped for a pretty picture:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124812-Colorado%20lake%20reflection.jpg

Walk into the lobby:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124842-Stanley%20lobby.jpg

Greeting for the day at front desk:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124826-Stanley%20welcome.jpg

Stanley Steamer in lobby:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124854-stanley%20lobby%20steamer.jpg

Getting ready for elevator ride up:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124868-Stanley%20elevator%20j%20and%20d.jpg

Fire nozzle on wall, but no canvas hose:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124920-Fire%20nozzle.jpg

Room 217 hallway/door:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124881-217%20far%20665x998.jpg

AKC
09-25-2013, 08:19 AM
THANK YOU for sharing.

Awesome.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Jerome

Please tell me you brought your Big Wheel with you.

Ralph

George at C-Springs
09-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Couple more ....

Main Lobby
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0740.jpg

Mr. Stanley
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0765.jpg

The Bar (great selection of scotch)
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0751.jpg

Music Room
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0739.jpg

Original Elevator Controls
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0760.jpg

From the front
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0748.jpg

Fearless Leader & Better Half
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0756.jpg

The Key
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0770.jpg

Not Shown: TwistedNadine, for she is a force of a nature than cannot be captured (I think that's what the security guy said as he was escorting us from the lobby to our rooms on the fourth floor).

idlewarnings
09-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Lot guy
09-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Great pictures The Stanley never disappoints, excited for tonight, just got First Edition Cycle of the Werewolf, 1st edition Thinner, centipede Salems Lot & 1st edition later printing(16.95 dust jacket) Salems lot signed, first time meeting the King, very gracious guy

bdwyer19
09-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Great pictures The Stanley never disappoints, excited for tonight, just got First Edition Cycle of the Werewolf, 1st edition Thinner, centipede Salems Lot & 1st edition later printing(16.95 dust jacket) Salems lot signed, first time meeting the King, very gracious guy

Congrats! Where did you meet him?

Lot guy
09-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Down near pearl street, my mom who went to college with him was with me, so I had here get two signed for me & two myself, didn't want to hand him a stack on my own, but he was very nice no problems signing them with inscriptions & they chatted about UMO & King Garbage truck

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Down near pearl street, my mom who went to college with him was with me, so I had here get two signed for me & two myself, didn't want to hand him a stack on my own, but he was very nice no problems signing them with inscriptions & they chatted about UMO & King Garbage truck

Lucky you were with your mom. He is a very nice guy to talk to, if you don't act like a weirdo fan.

Lot guy
09-25-2013, 02:27 PM
He couldn't have been more friendly, talked to him about Maine & north Yarmouth/Pownal area(Cumberland County) where Salems Lot takes place, no other fans were around which helped

Randall Flagg
09-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Wow. We are at the park now. Have been here for several hours. We arrived at 1:30 PM and a few dozen people were already in line.
Twistednadine and her friend, Explorer and his wife, tippy4 and his sister, George from Colorado springs, my wife and I are all partying in TN's cottage.
Our 3 cottages are less than 200 feet from the venue.
We missed King down on Pearl St. (I presume the Boulder Bookstore).
Gotta go. Party time then Queue up.
Updates soon...

AKC
09-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Keep the updates coming! Wish I was there!

Pics!

George at C-Springs
09-25-2013, 03:48 PM
The beginning of the line ... it goes on forever, and doors don't even open for an hour or so. Luckily beautiful weather, sunny, blue skies, little breeze, maybe 70 degrees. That's Jerome on the right in the red shirt doing some schmoozing.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0778.jpg

Oh yeah, we all just met Lot Guy from upthread a little bit ago, he's here too (so not fictional ... we thought somebody might have been playing a prank!)

tippy4
09-25-2013, 04:53 PM
George, Explorer, Jerome, Twisted and I have a great story to tell.

Posting later....but just awesome (mostly for Twisted).

AKC
09-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Damn it Rick! Tease!!!!

I'm there in spirit!

Kingfan24
09-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Wow... Talk about luck!

Randall Flagg
09-25-2013, 09:14 PM
TN, Explorer and I both agreed to make a drunken post. We are all here having a great time.
Two or three people are planning a 3 am assault on Cottage 21.
That's my drunken post.

EXPLORER
09-25-2013, 09:25 PM
my mind is clear and posting as required by the Raven... "He who knows, he know, knows nothing, He who knows he knows nothing. REALLY KNOWS......"
and I now,not to appear around Jerome after exiting the shower.

Dano
09-25-2013, 09:34 PM
What a great night! Nice to meet Tippy4 - Thanks for the hook up, man! Got an unsigned book, but King was amazing. Rambled on for an hour and a half! Beautiful weather and great conversations in line.

Dan

Randall Flagg
09-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Here is twistednadines post:

Cant log on - must be Jeromes fault.
I got a Rage inscribed to me Yahoo
Saw Stanley Kitchen Yahoo
Discovered Jero
Disco likes men in speedos. Scary

George at C-Springs
09-25-2013, 10:55 PM
I hate being the only sober one! Well, kind of a requirement tonight though because I drove home a half hour so after the reading, got in an hour ago (and still awake).

Well, I enjoyed the reading tremendously, very entertaining ... it was my first (virgin! virgin!) so all the anecdotes were new to me. Kind of like if you were a kid now, just reading your first King book ... so much to look forward to!

The number for the evening was definitely 21 instead of 19, and TN is my absolute new hero (heroine?) and has the most unbelieveable story to tell ... and it's true! Plus I know her secret identity!

In the end I didn't get a signed book (sorry Jim), I believe we were 1 for 7 as a group. But, when I arrived home, this was waiting for me ...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0783.jpg

... so I guess that ended the day on a positive note.

Bill, I also got you these:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0781.jpg

The catch is that they're in Colorado Springs and will hold a place of honor on top of the bookshelf until you pick them up on your next visit (I call that incentive). Picked up a few other goodies as well, will post photos of those tomorrow.

I had a great time all, glad to have been able to meet everyone. Thanks for the Canada invite, but pretty damn sure I can't pull that off and stay married!

Alright, 1 am, off to bed ... would have liked to have stayed, but I can't, (tomorrow) I gotta go do this thing ...... (grrrrrr).

wizardsrainbow
09-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Anyone there got signed books to sell...let me know here and/or david@bettsbooks.com

Bev Vincent
09-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Stephen King gets laughs from Boulder audience as he introduces 'The Shining' sequel (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_24178514/stephen-king-gets-laughs-from-boulder-audience-he)

Ben Staad
09-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Glad you folks had a fun time. Looking forward to TN's story and any other info about the night.

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Anyone there got signed books to sell...let me know here and/or david@bettsbooks.com

Jim ended up getting one David, that was it for the group unless Tippy managed to coerce some poor strangers after the show. Jerome I know also asked a few people but got no takers. My godson is there at the University of Boulder, I asked him if he could make a trip to the Boulder Bookstore today and buy up any that he found (I even told him I'd pay his taxi fare both ways .... damn college kids!). He's got classes all morning and doesn't know when (if) he can get over there. If he manages to pull off a coup I'll let you know.

tippy4
09-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Tippy tried and failed.

Did all I could last night......lots of near hits....but no luck.

redsoxfan565
09-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Did anyone who had multiple tickets have trouble getting more than 1 book? Still trying to figure out what to do for Harvard.

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 06:43 AM
No multiple tickets per person here. As you entered they punched one hole in your ticket and gave you a hand stamp. As you left they punched a second hole and handed you your book. Books were already out of boxes and piled on tables. I guess you could have tried to leave and come back in, but with 1300 people pushing out and the handstamp to prevent exactly that I don't think it was feasible. From what we could see (and wee all sat right by the doors and the book tables) there weren't any shenanigans like NY. Personally I thought it was all very well run, with everyone having an equal shot at getting a signed copy. 1300 people, 250 signed, one person in our group of seven got a book ... average.

barlow
09-26-2013, 07:00 AM
He couldn't have been more friendly, talked to him about Maine & north Yarmouth/Pownal area(Cumberland County) where Salems Lot takes place, no other fans were around which helped

Discovered Jero

Congrats on getting Rage signed TN!

Ken

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Not just signed! It is the best story, but I want her to tell it! Probably have to wait 'till she's had a day's rest for that. Suffice it to say that luck basically wandered into her wine aura needing a helping hand, and from that point on it was 1 + 1 + charm + slash hat + perseverance = King.

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Discovered Jero

What (or who?) the hell is Jero, and how did the conversation move to disco and speedos? Sounds like I left just in time! Not that it could possibly have topped The Great Stanley Lobby Debate of 2013; that one scared away the elderly and attracted security. Always a good sign :-)

mcdonaldj
09-26-2013, 08:01 AM
So my wife and I really, really enjoyed the reading and overall presentation from the event (her first time seeing S.K.). We had an extra ticket since our son could not go and gave it away to a college freshman who was in tears she was so happy to attend (a highlight of the night). Following the Q&A session, my wife and I got our two books (unsigned) and spent a minute or two outside the door talking. There were probably 12-20 people who exited while we stood there and no one got a signed book. On the ride home we discussed the statistical significance of our random sample given the ~1 to 5 ratio (~1300 people/250 books).

I’m guessing he only signed a total of 250 books for the event (maybe one or two extras for key staff). Out of those books event workers take a few here and there for themselves and friends/family, then more books are set aside for the list of donors who were mentioned at the beginning of the event. That leaves an indeterminate (but substantially smaller) amount for the 1300 attendees.

Although it is sketchy math with alot of guessing, it still makes me appreciate the fact we went to see him speak and a signed book was just a desired but unecessary bonus.

EXPLORER
09-26-2013, 08:03 AM
George is right on the mark in explaining the Boulder event: well and fairly run.
These people obviously have experience dealing with the public at events.
It is beautiful here, wonderful weather and such a great time gathering with the others from TDT.org.

Will post more when have better suited computer/connections.

EXPLORER
09-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Actually currently trying one more time to convince TN to knock on the door of #21 , "Fresh towels Mr. King?"

The Library Policeman
09-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Sounds like you all had a great time folks. I really hope I get to socialise with you all one day. :)

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 08:21 AM
So my wife and I really, really enjoyed the reading...

What? You were there? And didn't say hi? Why you unsociable $&#%! ....

Actually currently trying one more time to convince TN to knock on the door of #21 , "Fresh towels Mr. King?"

Well, that's certainly better than some of the other options that were discussed. Like I said, I really don't want to be on CNN tonight! Now, fresh towels at the front door in the buff (except for the hat, TN, of course ... you'd need that for the shock effect) while Jerome busts in the back door, camera in hand. Now there's your opportunity. Come on, I know it occured to you, admit it ....

Randall Flagg
09-26-2013, 08:32 AM
More Stanley pics:

In room 217 are copies of Kings books for guests to read:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124951-217%20bookcase.jpg

The bed:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124894-217%20bed%201045x697.jpg

Yours truly:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124904-217%20Flagg%20redrum%20shirt.jpg

barlow
09-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Do they let guests stay in 217, or do they keep it open for tours etc.?

Ken

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Hey Jerome where's the boudoir bathtub shot?

Sorry Bill, no promo stuff was available at all; that actually was a little disappointing, I was hoping for the sleep glasses at least. I picked up some touristy crap from the Stanley and the beer, couple of glasses, and some shirts from the Estes Park Brewery, but that was it.

mcdonaldj
09-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Jerome - your Room 217 pics are awesome! Congrats on the upgrade (which you should get just for the t-shirt) and post any unusual things that may occur.

George - just made the CO event seating before the big show as we got lost on the way there and stuck in the big line. I looked for forum members but the room was dimmed in the beginning and a mad house at the end.

EXPLORER
09-26-2013, 10:30 AM

Jim ended up getting one David, that was it for the group unless Tippy managed to coerce some poor strangers after the show. Jerome I know also asked a few people but got no takers. My godson is there at the University of Boulder, I asked him if he could make a trip to the Boulder Bookstore today and buy up any that he found (I even told him I'd pay his taxi fare both ways .... damn college kids!). He's got classes all morning and doesn't know when (if) he can get over there. If he manages to pull off a coup I'll let you know.

WELL>>> Deanna and I have been to Boulder Bookstore a couple times this morning..Got copies of the local paper with King article. No books and seems nobody we speak to knew that King may have stopped in there yesterday. Actually sitting outside it right now using Pearl St Mall FREE WIFI..... NO new results as of this time... However as I say...Results come from creating opportunity.

barlow
09-26-2013, 11:07 AM
More Stanley pics:

In room 217 are copies of Kings books for guests to read:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124951-217%20bookcase.jpg

The bed:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124894-217%20bed%201045x697.jpg

Yours truly:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124904-217%20Flagg%20redrum%20shirt.jpg

I just noticed the earlier post that you got upgraded to room 217 (so ignore my other post), that is the coolest upgrade I have heard of! Is 217 the room king stayed in when he got the inspiration for The Shining?

Ken

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 11:33 AM
WELL>>> Deanna and I have been to Boulder Bookstore a couple times this morning..Got copies of the local paper with King article. No books and seems nobody we speak to knew that King may have stopped in there yesterday. Actually sitting outside it right now using Pearl St Mall FREE WIFI..... NO new results as of this time... However as I say...Results come from creating opportunity.

You know, I hate to sound like a Doubting Thomas, but the facts don't add up for me so I need to question them:

1. Explorer was eating lunch next door at the supposed time that King was there, but saw nothing. His whole purpose for being there was to intercept King, so ya gotta think he was paying attention.

2. Yesterday we had a girl who worked in the store and didn't know King had been there. She took lunch for about 40 minutes, however, and may have missed him.

3. Today Explorer asks store employees if he'd been there, but nobody saw him. There are no signed books on the shelves, and (unfortunately) no remainders from last night's show there today.

4. The only confirmed sighting we have is from new member Lot Guy (and this isn't a personal attack Lot Guy, just stating facts as I know them), who happened to be there, at the right time and place, with his mom who went to college with King, and with a trove of First Editions in hand that King happily signed. I'd really like to believe that because it's a great story, but man it stretches the bounds of credibility when the rest of the facts are taken into account.

You know, it actually occured to me that if one certain brick wall seller wanted to pull a fast one on us, this would have been the opportunity .... show up (knowing we'd be there), introduce, present the story, then show the books afterward. Would we take for face value or question? "Redemption" and last laugh for him, if so. Yeah, I know, conspiracy theory!

So Lot Guy, please please tell me you have a photo of King with the two of you in Boulder yesterday, preferably signing your books! And lets see the books! That will also let us know if there's a chance Boulder Bookstore may actually have some signed copies hidden away!

Roseannebarr
09-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Given what i saw at the NY event, if he did walk into the bookstore I guarantee that if the book store had books they are hiding them away. IN Florida ... a few years ago.... I personally talked to the lady in the bookstore after SK left the store - signing books - and she said that the Manager would have to decide how to sell the books and when. This after SK just casually walked in and signed books and put them on the shelf. After calling the store again the bookstore clerk said he didnt know what i was talking about.

Plausible deniability.

tippy4
09-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Why would King go to the bookstore?

He signed the 250 copies in the cottage before the event.

He just flew in from NY.

Why stop?

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 11:51 AM
In the words of Fox Mulder, "I want to believe!" ... but sorry, I'm a QA guy at heart ... less talk, more proof!

Lot guy
09-26-2013, 11:53 AM
No problem on pictures how do I load them/ where's the URL? Of an image

Lot guy
09-26-2013, 11:56 AM
George met you yesterday can you inform me of how to post pictures, says I need URL

Lot guy
09-26-2013, 12:00 PM
http://img_0186.jpeg

WeDealInLead
09-26-2013, 12:28 PM
You need to host it somewhere online like Imageshack.us or photobucket.com

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 12:42 PM
I post to the Gallery here, then copy the url (it'll be down under the photo, or right click on the photo itself and then choose properties), then click the little blue square with the tree in it right above here between the envelope and the film strip, then paste the url in there and submit and you're done. I personally don't use photobucket or any of those. Easy!

Lot guy
09-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Thank you George, I was able to post a pic as my profile picture, working on photo bucket,
Thanks for your help

Lot guy
09-26-2013, 01:22 PM
posted an album on the gallery, 7 pictures total,
I understand the doubts by some, wanted to put these up so i can start the process of becoming a trusted member, it was a great experience yesterday & appreciate the help with info on how to post pictures, my wife is the computer one in our family

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Thank you George, I was able to post a pic as my profile picture, working on photo bucket, Thanks for your help

NP, you're welcome ... now let's see some good photos (and confirm you're not Brennan in disguise ... you'll understand that after awhile!). I want to believe! (and then sit back and listen to Explorer scream in frustration for having missed him).

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Freakin' awesome Matt, welcome aboard ... you lucky SOB!

The Library Policeman
09-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Great pictures Matt. Big congrats on meeting THE MAN. :D

Welcome to the site by the way.

mattgreenbean
09-26-2013, 02:02 PM
For easy access to Matt's pictures--> Lot Guy gallery (http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12412&title=image7&cat=500) Congrats on the signing, you must be a collector having those editions.

Bad Penny
09-26-2013, 02:15 PM
For easy access to Matt's pictures--> Lot Guy gallery (http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12412&title=image7&cat=500) Congrats on the signing, you must be a collector having those editions.

You're my new superhero mate - those sigs (and pix) are just to freaking die for !!! :smile:

Roseannebarr
09-26-2013, 02:16 PM
I have met SK four times now and I was so nervous on Tuesday (STILL), I didnt get any pictures taken! I really need to practice!

Merlin1958
09-26-2013, 03:09 PM
THANK YOU for sharing.

Awesome.

Jerome

Please tell me you brought your Big Wheel with you.

Ralph

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

All wishes are emphatically seconded!!!!!!

Randall Flagg
09-26-2013, 03:16 PM
I haven't had time to post much, but I met Lot Guy in person at the event and I believe him. King even mentioned in his appearance that he had been down to the Boulder Bookstore that very day.

Merlin1958
09-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Thoughts on the collective posts to date:

Jerome, great pics and I have the exact same Tee!!! Very appropriate attire!! You're right, she is the "better half""!!! LOL Kudo's to you, Ms. Smith!!

George, you're such a tease!!!! 1 bottle of "Redrum" beer would have gained you my undying admiration!! LOL Truth be told, after seeing the photo's I really must put a trip there on my "Bucket List"!!!

Nadine, though you have yeat to post, post event and I have indeed met you in person, through you're lack of being photographed I am beginning to suspect that you may very well have been one of the "original guests" of "The Overlook"!!! LOL LOL

Best to all of you. Seems like a very good time was had by all!!!

Randall Flagg
09-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Enjoyed sitting at the desk in room 217:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124960-217%20table%20with%20book.jpg

My wife really liked the tub:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380124987-217%20tub%20full.jpg

We dropped by the bar (including TN, George from C-Springs, etc.:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380125001-stanley%20bar.jpg

Next to the bar, in the concert hall, there was a door there:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380125010-217%20door%20hole%20rf.jpg

George found the mini-house:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380125037-mini%20house%20georgecsprings.jpg

Randall Flagg
09-26-2013, 03:28 PM
5 Partiers:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380237940-5%20people%20at%20Stanley%20with%20blurred%20image .jpg

The Library Policeman
09-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Great pictures! :)

Merlin1958
09-26-2013, 03:36 PM
5 Partiers:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380237940-5%20people%20at%20Stanley%20with%20blurred%20image .jpg

Nadine, If I may be so bold, you are far to handsome a woman to leave an "Oblique Oval" where your face should be. Do you "Shine"? Are you hiding from the "True? LOL LOL

Great pic, folks!!!

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Nadine, If I may be so bold, you are far to handsome a woman to leave an "Oblique Oval" where your face should be. Do you "Shine"? Are you hiding from the "True? LOL LOL

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/1380237940-5_people_at_Stanley_with_blurred_image.jpg

"Far too handsome a woman???" Geez Bill, what are ya, 90?

I was thinking "hot mime"! :excited:

Merlin1958
09-26-2013, 06:48 PM

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/1380237940-5_people_at_Stanley_with_blurred_image.jpg

"Far too handsome a woman?" I was thinking "hot mime"! ;-)

LOL Oh, I think you may be on the "list" with that comment!!! LOL LOL TN, we (I) love you!!!

:panic::panic::panic:

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 06:57 PM
The "Stanley Stash":

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0786.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0790.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0792.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0794.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0795.jpg

Merlin1958
09-26-2013, 07:01 PM
The "Stanley Stash":

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0786.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0790.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0792.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0794.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0795.jpg

And here I thought we were, compadre's!!! LOL LOL

Nice haul, and I can imagine an even better event!!! Congrats to you, George!!!

George at C-Springs
09-26-2013, 07:08 PM
It's all part of the 'incentive' Bill. I figure if ya want the stuff badly enough, you'll just have to find a reason (family) to make the trip out here ... and if you're willing to come this far, well then I know this great hotel just a couple hours drive away .......

See, only doing what's best for you, mi compadre!

Merlin1958
09-26-2013, 07:12 PM
It's all part of the 'incentive' Bill. I figure if ya want the stuff badly enough, you'll just have to find a reason (family) to make the trip out here ... and if you're willing to come this far, well then I know this great hotel just a couple hours drive away .......

See, only doing what's best for you, mi compadre!

Why, thank you!!!

EXPLORER
09-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Why would King go to the bookstore?

HE LIKES TO READ

He just flew in from NY.

AND BOY HIS ARMS WERE TIRED

Randall Flagg
09-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Some more pics from Colorado.
Wednesday we left Estes Park to drive to Boulder.

Here is my final shot of The Stanley Hotel:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380287853-Stanley%20exterior.jpg

On the way down the hill is an old church. Here is the church with a 14,000+ ft. high peak, and the moon behind it:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380286282-Church%20moon%20and%20mountain.jpg

The line that started in the morning (George is to the left):

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380286333-Chautauqua%20line.jpg

The Four Amigos:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380286381-4%20amigos%20outside%20event.jpg

We found out (TwistedNadine actually found out), that King was staying in Cottage #21:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380286392-Cottage%2021.jpg

Twistednadine (her story to tell) was able to get a book signed and was brought to tears:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380286406-TN%20crying%20I%20face%20blocked.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380397307-1380286419-TN%20crying%20II%20blocked.jpg

Randall Flagg
09-27-2013, 05:26 AM
Several of the fans I met and talked to:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380286297-first%20fan%20in%20ine.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380286310-fans%20II.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380286321-Chadbourne%20fan.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380286346-Fans.jpg

Randall Flagg
09-27-2013, 05:38 AM
Met new member Lot Guy at the event and he met King at the Boulder Bookstore where King dropped in unannounced and signed.
He posted the images in out Gallery:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/member.php?uid=16546&protype=1

Sample:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/image2.jpg

The Library Policeman
09-27-2013, 06:01 AM
Wow. So pleased for TN getting Rage signed and dedicated! Couldn't have happened to a nicer lady. Big congratulations TN.

Ben Staad
09-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Congrats to all and thanks for the photos and reports. Sounded like a fun and memorable time.

jhanic
09-27-2013, 08:14 AM
TN, love the top hat! Should we start calling you Nadine the Hat? :P

John

sentinel
09-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Congrats TN! What a great deal! Maybe you got Explorer's luck away from him! (-:

Rachel Readman
09-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Absolutely brilliant, so happy that you all had such a great time. Thanks for sharing all the photos.

Looking forward to reading your story Nadine!

Randall Flagg
09-27-2013, 11:50 AM
I was waiting for others to tell their narratives of the event. Hopefully TwisteNadine, tippy4, Explorer, and George At C-Springs will pop in. I don't want to steal their thunder.

Randall Flagg
09-27-2013, 11:54 AM
The earlier shot of the church doesn't show how close the church was to being destroyed from a slide caused by the heavy rains:

Chapel On The Rock

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380311599-Church%20with%20timbe%20rwashout.jpg

Rachel Readman
09-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Great looking building, would make a nice house!

That landslide was a bit of a close call but the locals and church now have a good supply of ready felled firewood.

tippy4
09-27-2013, 12:46 PM
The woman with the red tank top and hairy pits....how very Boulder.

The Library Policeman
09-27-2013, 01:02 PM

:lol:

Randall Flagg
09-27-2013, 01:52 PM
That is why I took the photo. I "interviewed" the group and she was unabashed about the body hair, so I asked for a pic of them where her armpits were showing and she loved posing. They likely will pop in here and check out the image, so no bashing.

George at C-Springs
09-27-2013, 03:06 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380397307-1380286419-TN%20crying%20II%20blocked.jpgOnce again, "Hot Mime!"

I was waiting for others to tell their narratives of the event. Hopefully TwisteNadine, tippy4, Explorer, and George At C-Springs will pop in. I don't want to steal their thunder. I've been posting all along! Have been waiting for a comment on my " ... would have liked to have stayed, but I can't, (tomorrow) I gotta go do this thing ......" up in #80, thought one of you would have caught that!

Anybody else catch the laughing face in the bathtub curtain?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/1380124987-217_tub_full.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Tub_Face1.jpg

The earlier shot of the church doesn't show how close the church was to being destroyed from a slide caused by the heavy rains:

Chapel On The Rock
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/1380311599-Church_with_timbe_rwashout.jpgI stopped and took photos here as well, but wanted to get it with the mudslide in the foreground so hiked down and to the left and walked into the middle of the big pile. Just as I was shooting I heard running water ... from underneath me. That was when my weight overcame the surface tension of all the crap and I fell through up to my knees in mud. Luckily had spare pants and shoes; more lucky I didn't go in deeper, because it's deeper than it looks. Haven't downloaded other photos from the camera yet, will do that later tonight.

cit74
09-27-2013, 04:09 PM
great event - looks like everyone had a wonderful time

Merlin1958
09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
"Hot Mime"!!! Good one, George!!!!

John, TN the Hat!!! I like that one too!!!!

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

George at C-Springs
09-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Where the hell's TN anyway? Waiting on you to tell the doppelganger story!!!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Gus1.jpg

See the guy on the left of the photo, with the hat and moustache? That's Gus, King's chauffeur ... we spoke with him extensively!

George at C-Springs
09-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Last of the photos for me:

Where I was standing right before going splook.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_0209a.jpg

Don't Ya Just Expect to See Two Girls?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_0125a.jpg

The Stanley Has Its Own Fire Department, a 1960's International

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_0138a1.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_0139a.jpg

The Stanley Around Midnight; Shadow Figure on the Stairs is TwistedNadine (before security arrived)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_0163a.jpg

Corner Staircase Between 3rd & 4th Floors

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_0158small.jpg

This Guy was Painting the Hotel ... with a Brush

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_0146a.jpg

The View

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC_0181a.jpg

The one thing I don't have a picture of? King!

George at C-Springs
09-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by mcdonaldj

Jerome - your Room 217 pics are awesome! Congrats on the upgrade (which you should get just for the t-shirt) and post any unusual things that may occur.

George - just made the CO event seating before the big show as we got lost on the way there and stuck in the big line. I looked for forum members but the room was dimmed in the beginning and a mad house at the end.

Alright J, I guess I'll let ya slide this time ... don't let it happen again though! We were actually some of the last to enter, didn't get in line until maybe 10 minutes before start time, it was maybe 30 or 40 feet long, only had to wait a couple of minutes, and still got great seats just past the entry doors a few rows back. Up until then we were preoccupied elsewhere!

EXPLORER
09-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Had breakfast this morning at a luxurious Boulder Hotel where King stayed..... unfortunately the Black SUV was loaded and left just as/after we arrived. Someone likely saw me with bag of books on my shoulder and said, "There he is again, Hit the gas". My lead was just slightly too late.

We are still traveling so limiting time posting. However just found post from my friends who I gave tickets to Boston event... 1 signed 1 unsigned. Very cool. Leave Denver in AM; looking forward to visit with daughter and Grand-kids tomorrow.

Ricky
09-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Just catching up on this thread. Really enjoying reading up on everyone's accounts of the event! Sounds like everyone had a blast.

I love that REDRUM mug, George.

Nadine, you're looking a little pale...

TwistedNadine
09-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Before I tell the story I first want to say that it was an absolute pleasure to hang out with you guys. George you are awesome (can't believe how well you maintained composure during the "Debate" in the lobby) Explorer and Mrs Explorer always a pleasure love the stories, Tippy you have a marvelous sister (runs in the family), and of course Raven and Mrs. Raven always ready to party and never a dull moment. We just had the best time.

Rage story: Disclaimer: Little fuzzy on all the details, was already knee deep in wine consumption, but this is the best I can recall: Im out in the front of my little cottage and here's a guy briskly walking down the street looking lost and confused. To me, even without the wine, the man was a splitting image to Owen King. Black rim glasses, same height, black hair. Here's where it gets a little fuzzy but I think I called over to him and said "Hey, arent you Owen King?" Although he kept denying he was Owen King I had my doubts but as it turned out he was looking for cottage 21, was late and lost, and said he was from Barnes and Noble. I brought him into my cottage where I had a detailed map, showed him where cottage 21 was and gave him the map to keep. But before he left I asked him who was in cottage 21 that he was late in meeting and he said "I cant tell you that". Viola. Dont have to be a rocket scientist (or sober) to know that when you are at an event and a security guard, limo driver, book store staff member, etc tells you "I cant tell you that" you just hit pay dirt. I handed him my business card, told him I still thot he was Owen King and if he could get something signed for me I would be in his debt. I had brought the Bachman paperbacks with me for a Just In Case moment so after Owen left I grabbed them and hightailed it over to cottage 21 with Tippy in tow. We're waiting outside talking to the security guard (what an ass) and the limo driver (what a sweetheart) waiting for an appearance, watching the boxes of books go in and out of the cottage, discussing how we might be able to grab a book (box) or two of the signed ones, when here comes Owen. Ok, turns out he wasnt Owen King after all (and in fact I had completely forgotten that Owen wasnt even at this event) and I whisper sweet nothings in his ear (thanks for the tip George) and handed him Rage with a pen. He said he would see what he could do. Little while later he comes out of the cottage with my book. Im fully expecting him to apologize and explain how King wont sign anything but he's got a smile on his face so Im also thinking maybe, just maybe, I got a flatsigned signature. Cant tell you how shocked, overjoyed and completely overwhelmed I was when I opened the book and saw it was not only personalized to me but included the infamous "aka Bachman" line. And just to dispel any ideas CROW the sweet nothings I whispered in his ear were not propositions, just "please oh please's"

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_466.jpg

The Library Policeman
09-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Amazing, TN. So pleased for you!

TwistedNadine
09-28-2013, 12:35 PM
My friend and I were able to get into the Stanley Hotel kitchen and take some shots. Doesnt look much like the book kitchen but was still pretty cool. Was not able to get into the pantry but got a shot of the pantry door

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_134.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_130.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_133.jpg

We found the stairs to the attic up on the fourth floor where we were staying (and by the way room 428 is most definitely haunted) but the door was bolted shut. Really wanted to go up there and explore. Notice Redrum written on the door...
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_120.jpg

barlow
09-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Awesome story T.N., and a great inscription!

Ken

TwistedNadine
09-28-2013, 12:44 PM
The church on the way up the Estes Park has been mentioned but my friend and I happen to run into the caretaker who opened it up for us. Turns out the Pope himself had been there and inside the church is a photo of the Pope on the church stairs. I did not get a clear shot of the photo but my friend did so when I get those pics from her Ill post it. In the meantime heres a couple of inside the church. It was designed by an Italian Priest and tho it looks very old was built in 1935. My friend and I got an earful about the 7 mile mud slid that missed the church by a few feet

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_159.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_162.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_146.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_20130925_105908.jpg

TwistedNadine
09-28-2013, 12:58 PM
On Thursday we decided to explore Black Hawk which seemed to be a gambling town in the middle of no where on the way to Estes Park (the same town Crow stayed in a few days earlier). We discovered that behind all the hype and casinos was an old mining town built in the mid 1800's named Mountain City. Most of the buildings are in pretty good shape but are in various stages of foreclosure. We found an old mine and did a little exploring.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_398.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_277.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_20130926_122008.jpg

TwistedNadine
09-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Although we didnt spend the night in Black Hawk we did break our way (literally) into the hotel pool area on the roof of the hotel about 36 floors up and got a few shots of the town. Interesting note, my friend and I dont gamble but we enjoyed the drinks, food and ambiance of the casino. I wanted to get some shots of it but we were not allowed to take pictures. Apparently (so we were told) theres guests that dont want their picture taken. I can sympathize.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_408.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_413.jpg

We also found a small road that took us to the back side of the town and got a shot of the hotel (its the tallest building in the town)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_404.jpg

TwistedNadine
09-28-2013, 01:16 PM
I might post more tomorrow but wanted to finish today with an odd sight on the way up to the Stanley. I happened to notice something gleaming on the hillside and realized it was a boat stuck in the middle of the mountain. I can only guess there is a road behind the mountain and the boat was washed off the road during the storm. My friend thinks its probably a car. I tried to get some close up shots of it but my camera is a pos and this was the best I could do.

Lower left hand corner look closely and you will see a white and blue object

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_216.jpg

This shot gives you an idea of its position - right in the middle of the mountain side about 1/3rd up from the bottom of the pic to the left

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Colorado_Sept_25_2013_218.jpg

jhanic
09-28-2013, 02:54 PM
TN, your Rage story is fantastic! Best congratulations!

The pics are great. I sometimes wish I could travel again.

John

tippy4
09-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Before I tell the story I first want to say that it was an absolute pleasure to hang out with you guys. George you are awesome (can't believe how well you maintained composure during the "Debate" in the lobby) Explorer and Mrs Explorer always a pleasure love the stories, Tippy you have a marvelous sister (runs in the family), and of course Raven and Mrs. Raven always ready to party and never a dull moment. We just had the best time.

Rage story: Disclaimer: Little fuzzy on all the details, was already knee deep in wine consumption, but this is the best I can recall: Im out in the front of my little cottage and here's a guy briskly walking down the street looking lost and confused. To me, even without the wine, the man was a splitting image to Owen King. Black rim glasses, same height, black hair. Here's where it gets a little fuzzy but I think I called over to him and said "Hey, arent you Owen King?" Although he kept denying he was Owen King I had my doubts but as it turned out he was looking for cottage 21, was late and lost, and said he was from Barnes and Noble. I brought him into my cottage where I had a detailed map, showed him where cottage 21 was and gave him the map to keep. But before he left I asked him who was in cottage 21 that he was late in meeting and he said "I cant tell you that". Viola. Dont have to be a rocket scientist (or sober) to know that when you are at an event and a security guard, limo driver, book store staff member, etc tells you "I cant tell you that" you just hit pay dirt. I handed him my business card, told him I still thot he was Owen King and if he could get something signed for me I would be in his debt. I had brought the Bachman paperbacks with me for a Just In Case moment so after Owen left I grabbed them and hightailed it over to cottage 21 with Tippy in tow. We're waiting outside talking to the security guard (what an ass) and the limo driver (what a sweetheart) waiting for an appearance, watching the boxes of books go in and out of the cottage, discussing how we might be able to grab a book (box) or two of the signed ones, when here comes Owen. Ok, turns out he wasnt Owen King after all (and in fact I had completely forgotten that Owen wasnt even at this event) and I whisper sweet nothings in his ear (thanks for the tip George) and handed him Rage with a pen. He said he would see what he could do. Little while later he comes out of the cottage with my book. Im fully expecting him to apologize and explain how King wont sign anything but he's got a smile on his face so Im also thinking maybe, just maybe, I got a flatsigned signature. Cant tell you how shocked, overjoyed and completely overwhelmed I was when I opened the book and saw it was not only personalized to me but included the infamous "aka Bachman" line. And just to dispel any ideas CROW the sweet nothings I whispered in his ear were not propositions, just "please oh please's"

A slight correction to the above story.....

TN called me right after the Owen King lookalike (and yes...it was not the wine.....he really did look like Owen) had left her place.

She told me what had just happened, and I ran over to the cottage she had sent the guy to...and there in front was the chauffeur and black SUV that I had seen drop King off at the venue about 25 minutes earlier (that is a story in itself...but nowhere as good as as TN's). Also in front was a guy from security I had seen earlier as well.

I ran back to TN's told her what I had seen, and THEN the two of us went over to King's cottage.

They had rented a cottage for King just to sit in for two hours to sign books before the event. At one point, one of the staff showed up with a bottle of aspirin for the man.

After King refused the rest of us, he jumped in his SUV. I ran to the venue and beat him there on foot.....but he went in the front door, and I thought he was going in the back door.

After the event, I drove by his cottage and it was dark. He probably had much nicer accommodations booked elsewhere.

Merlin1958
09-28-2013, 03:26 PM
After reading the stories and seeing the pics, I'm definitely considering a "pilgrimage" to "The Stanley" over the winter.

George at C-Springs
09-28-2013, 04:52 PM
After King refused the rest of us, he jumped in his SUV

The five of us (Jerome, Delores, Tippy, myself, and TN at first then Explorer later) waited across the 'street' from King's cottage for an hour and half or so. Security asked us to leave at one point because we were loud, but we blamed that on TN and she had just left, so we said no and stayed put. Had conversations with various staff (Gus the limo driver, Kyle/Owen, etc.) while waiting.

Right before King came out, the security guard had Gus back up the limo so it was flush with a parked car ... I knew right then we weren't getting signatures, but held out hope anyway. When King finally came out at about 7:15 it was dark and I couldn't even see his face. Despite the 'plan' ("Mr King, please.") both Jerome and Tippy shouted out at the same time. King's response, as he came down the stairs and practically dove into the truck? "I can't, I gotto go do this thing" (hence my post #80).

And that was that.

Merlin1958
09-28-2013, 04:57 PM
After King refused the rest of us, he jumped in his SUV

The five of us (Jerome, Delores, Tippy, myself, and TN at first then Explorer later) waited across the 'street' from King's cottage for an hour and half or so. Security asked us to leave at one point because we were loud, but we blamed that on TN and she had just left, so we said no and stayed put. Had conversations with various staff (Gus the limo driver, Kyle/Owen, etc.) while waiting.

Right before King came out, the security guard had Gus back up the limo so it was flush with a parked car ... I knew right then,we weren't getting signatures, but held out,hope anyway. When King finally came out at about 7:15 it was dark and I couldn't even see his face. Despite the 'plan' ("Mr King, please.") both Jerome and Tippy shouted out at the same time. King's response, as he came down the stairs and practically dove into the truck? "I can't, I gotto go do this thing" (hence my post #80).

And that was that.

Hey, you tried. Heck, if I was him I suppose it would get tiresome dodging Jerome & Co all the time!! LOL LOL Especially since signed books were included. Imagine how "Mick Jagger" feels!! LOL LOL LOL As you have mentioned, the experience of gathering with all your TDT.Org friends was a treat in and of itself. I know it was for me.!!!

George at C-Springs
09-28-2013, 06:19 PM
We found the stairs to the attic up on the fourth floor where we were staying (and by the way room 428 is most definitely haunted) but the door was bolted shut. Really wanted to go up there and explore. Notice Redrum written on the door...

I went up those steps myself and tried the door ... did not see Redrum written on it. Wierd.

Hey, you tried. Heck, if I was him I suppose it would get tiresome dodging Jerome & Co all the time!!

Yeah, I agree, but at the same time he was pretty damn rude. It wouldn't have taken but a minute to sign in the first place, less if he chose even only one; he was aware we waited an hour and a half. I was okay waiting, by the way ... figured the odds were a helluva better standing 20 feet away from his front door than being in line with 1000 other people. Especially since I hate lines!

Second, I understand if he was on a timeline ... a simple "I'm sorry folks, but I've got to keep my schedule for the start of the event" would have been perfectly understandable; "I can't, I gotta go do this thing" sounded like he couldn't have cared less about the reading, never mind his fans.

I guess after 40 years or so you forget (or just don't care) that it's a big deal for Constant Reader to meet in person someone that they've "known" most of their lives. It doesn't take a lot to be polite ... sure would have made a better first impression for me.

I enjoyed the event, but I won't forget getting rudely blown off beforehand.

Fsmdr
09-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Wow!. What an interesting turn of event!. Way to go TN!!. So glad you got your Rage signed!.

Thanks for sharing your photos and stories, everyone.

needfulthings
09-28-2013, 09:06 PM
I ENJOYED THE EVENT,BUT I WON'T FORGET RUDELY GETTING BLOWN OFF BEFOREHAND.
ANNIE WILKES

redsoxfan565
09-29-2013, 04:50 AM
Can't say I'm surprised that he blew you guys off. He was tough all week. Only signed a few different times in NY and Boston.

bdwyer19
09-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Great story, Nadine!!! Huge congrats!

Rachel Readman
09-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Congratulations Nadine, a great story and inscription.

Thanks to all for sharing all the pictures and details of events, certainly sounds like you all had fun and that it was much better ran than the NY gig!

Bad Penny
09-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Awesome stories - so envious that I'm so far away from any King signing action (one day maybe) - congratulations to all that managed to bring home some signed books !!! :smile:

Lot guy
09-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Randall Flagg, thank you for freeing up the picture for me

Merlin1958
09-29-2013, 02:37 PM

I went up those steps myself and tried the door ... did not see Redrum written on it. Wierd.

Hey, you tried. Heck, if I was him I suppose it would get tiresome dodging Jerome & Co all the time!!

Yeah, I agree, but at the same time he was pretty damn rude. It wouldn't have taken but a minute to sign in the first place, less if he chose even only one; he was aware we waited an hour and a half. I was okay waiting, by the way ... figured the odds were a helluva better standing 20 feet away from his front door than being in line with 1000 other people. Especially since I hate lines!

Second, I understand if he was on a timeline ... a simple "I'm sorry folks, but I've got to keep my schedule for the start of the event" would have been perfectly understandable; "I can't, I gotta go do this thing" sounded like he couldn't have cared less about the reading, never mind his fans.

I guess after 40 years or so you forget (or just don't care) that it's a big deal for Constant Reader to meet in person someone that they've "known" most of their lives. It doesn't take a lot to be polite ... sure would have made a better first impression for me.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor am I trying to change your opinions. I just know what I witnessed at the RBR event and the fans were extremely tenacious (to be kind) before and after the show even though there was an "official" signing event for those that paid additionally. And I am also not trying to be holier than though as I was reaching my book into his face at the signing along with everyone else, but it just seemed a little extreme to me is all and I could see where he might get fed up and a little rude. Again, not trying to make excuses for the man, just stating what I witnessed and experienced.

On the other hand, as you said, you really can't fault the fans for doing their level best to obtain a signature from their long time hero. Just a volatile situation I suppose.

WeDealInLead
09-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Here's one of the legal definitions of stalking:

"Stalking
Criminal activity consisting of the repeated following and harassing of another person. Stalking is a distinctive form of criminal activity composed of a series of actions that taken individually might constitute legal behavior."

We can romanticize "signature hounding" all we want but stuff posted on this forum leaves me scratching my head sometimes. If you have a "contact" let you know where King is, if you're staking out somewhere he frequents, if you have people at different exits, if you're standing outside of his lodgings, you're going too far. He's already doing an event he doesn't have to do, pre-signing books he didn't have to sign, after a flight he didn't have to take. Count yourself lucky you got to see him speak and be glad he didn't flip you off or had the cops or guards chase you away.

Can you blame him for making less and less public appearances?

Merlin1958
09-29-2013, 03:24 PM

"Stalking
Criminal activity consisting of the repeated following and harassing of another person. Stalking is a distinctive form of criminal activity composed of a series of actions that taken individually might constitute legal behavior."

We can romanticize "signature hounding" all we want but stuff posted on this forum leaves me scratching my head sometimes. If you have a "contact" let you know where King is, if you're staking out somewhere he frequents, if you have people at different exits, if you're standing outside of his lodgings, you're going too far. He's already doing an event he doesn't have to do, pre-signing books he didn't have to sign, after a flight he didn't have to take. Count yourself lucky you got to see him speak and be glad he didn't flip you off or had the cops or guards chase you away.

You're absolutely right, but fans do it to all sorts of public figures regularly anyway. A lot of times it's considered "coming with the fame" and I'm not commenting on either side as right. Just highlighting the facts is all. It's a sticky wicket for sure.

Randall Flagg
09-30-2013, 04:29 AM

"Stalking

We didn't do anything criminal. We took "one action"-standing politely across the street from King's cottage in a National Historical Monument Park, where we we paying overnight guests. When King walked out, we stayed across the street and asked if he would sign one book per person. He declined.
I was a little deflated, but what really dissapointed me was the tone of voice-attitude King displayed when he said "...I gotta do this thing". It sounded like he really didn't even want to do the event.

redsoxfan565
09-30-2013, 05:47 AM

"Stalking

We didn't do anything criminal. We took "one action"-standing politely across the street from King's cottage in a National Historical Monument Park, where we we paying overnight guests. When King walked out, we stayed across the street and asked if he would sign one book per person. He declined.
I was a little deflated, but what really dissapointed me was the tone of voice-attitude King displayed when he said "...I gotta do this thing". It sounded like he really didn't even want to do the event.

He is very bi-polar. Some days he will be great and joke around with everyone, and other days he just doesn't want to deal with any of it. I suppose that is like everyone on the planet, but he isn't everyone, he is Stephen King.

One of the times he signed in NYC this past week he told the 6 or so of us: "Persistence is the key to me being fucking annoyed," but was joking around and signing. 2 days later in Boston he totally shut it down and didn't sign the majority of the time here.

WeDealInLead
09-30-2013, 06:40 AM

"Stalking

I understand and I would've been bummed out too.

Lot guy
09-30-2013, 06:58 AM
I can understand somebody getting tiresome of constantly being hounded by fans,
After working at a prominent music venue for over 10 years now, i have grown to realize that is part of the job For the bandmembers And if it's a job they don't want it only affects their pockets, After having a conversation with a top hatted guitar playing man(/), Said if I didn't have people waiting in lines to buy my tickets see my shows and have me sign things I would not have the opportunity to do what I love,
And the freedom to do it how I want,
Having something signed or saying hello may not be important to some but others it is a very exciting experience
That being said it is the fans and readers to make it possible for Stephen King to be able to write as many books as he wants and about whatever he wants,
That is only my opinion

CRinVA
09-30-2013, 07:39 AM
TN great pics; great story. Somewhere in my pile of pics I have a shot or two of the Stanley Kitchen. I also have a pic in teh tunnel beteen the Stanley and the outbuilding next door.

Jerome; ion Rm 217 did the bathroom steam up and ords appear onteh bathroom mirror? it used to!

CRinVA
09-30-2013, 07:49 AM
After reading the stories and seeing the pics, I'm definitely considering a "pilgrimage" to "The Stanley" over the winter.
They ahve an annual Shining Masquerade Ball around halloween every year I belive. Went to it in 2003 and it was a total blast! I was dressed as wolf and my lovely wife was The Queen of the Territories! I should dig up some of those pics!

Randall Flagg
09-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Here are some more pictures. I spoiler tagged them so that if you don't want to view them, page loading won't be slow.

Stopped at Estes Park Brewery for a beer:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380567264-Estes%20Park%20brewery%201092x697.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380566676-estes%20brewery%20jerome.jpg

Souvenirs for sale in The Stanley:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380566868-Souvenier%20shop%20634x950.jpg

Open elevator door:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380567232-elevator%20door%20open%201045x697.jpg

The emergency key for the elevator:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380567242-elevator%20key%20810x925.jpg

Pool balls in the Pool room. Purportedly people see ghosts in the photos. I don't see anything; do you?

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380567316-pool%20balls%20634x950.jpg

Safe that was in the basement:

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380567328-Safe%20634x950.jpg

TwistedNadine, Leanna, Dolores and George at C-Springs partying and closing the place down. This was prior to "the argument" and before security came :)

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1380567803-4%20amigos%20partying%201045x697.jpg

TwistedNadine
10-03-2013, 07:35 AM
I also have a pic in teh tunnel beteen the Stanley and the outbuilding next door.

Would have loved to have seen that! Didnt know there was a tunnel..

In his defense keep in mind he did a lot of travel and events, with the accompanying stress and pressure, in a very short amount of time. Im thinking he was pretty exhausted already but still had to do this event and more travel/events afterward. Probably why he was more cordial in NY and less and less accommodating at each successive event. Although it really sucked he didnt sign I dont think thats his usual attitude towards his Constant Readers. I just think he was exhausted and in a pissy mood.

Tito_Villa
10-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Great story TN!

Roseannebarr
10-03-2013, 10:19 AM
I also have a pic in teh tunnel beteen the Stanley and the outbuilding next door.

In his defense keep in mind he did a lot of travel and events, with the accompanying stress and pressure, in a very short amount of time. Im thinking he was pretty exhausted already but still had to do this event and more travel/events afterward. Probably why he was more cordial in NY and less and less accommodating at each successive event. Although it really sucked he didnt sign I dont think thats his usual attitude towards his Constant Readers. I just think he was exhausted and in a pissy mood.

I asked him to "date" my book after he signed and he said i should do it myself. I was upset for about two seconds and then realized he had 100 people waiting for him to sign their book as well and forgot about it. i got to meet him and get a signed book! everybody has bad days (except me).

I cant stand a local DJ who talks bad about celebrities after he interviews them and says how rude they were, or stupid, or.... everybody is entitled to bad days, busy days, etc....

when i met SK in Boston he was the nicest he could every be. Personally inscribed a book to my wife and I! He can tell me to P#$s off any time, I will never forget boston, george mason and savannah!!

EXPLORER
10-03-2013, 11:37 AM

I asked him to "date" my book after he signed and he said i should do it myself. I was upset for about two seconds and then realized he had 100 people waiting for him to sign their book as well and forgot about it. i got to meet him and get a signed book! everybody has bad days (except me).

I cant stand a local DJ who talks bad about celebrities after he interviews them and says how rude they were, or stupid, or.... everybody is entitled to bad days, busy days, etc....

when i met SK in Boston he was the nicest he could every be. Personally inscribed a book to my wife and I! He can tell me to P#$s off any time, I will never forget boston, george mason and savannah!!
I never find Stephen King to be rude... sometimes as blunt, as he is occupied but never rude. I feel if anyone is rude, it is those of us feeling he owes us to give a signature. I feel fortunate if I have created an opportunity by being in the right place and getting a signature however never feel shorted if he decides to pass on signing at the moment. I have been in a group of people waiting, hoping for a signature where he was just escorted by with no chance to sign. I have been in a group of people waiting, hoping for a signature where he made the move to sign graciously despite handlers (Thank You Sir). I have been in a group of people waiting and hoping for a signature and have found some of them VERY rude when they won't allow others to get a sig as they keep shoving things in front of him they just plan to sell. I don't have much patience for those who are simply sig sellers who send a force of minions to collect sigs on anything they can hawk. True collectors appreciate the opportunity to have something rare and dear to them signed. I was so happy to see TN found just the type of opportunity I have sought out and experienced. BRAVO TwistedNadine for your result... a great and appreciated inscription!

TwistedNadine
10-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Well said Explorer and thank you for the Back Pat. It really was one of those Series of Fortunate Event things and one I will never forget.

Hey, do you think my hat helped?

EXPLORER
10-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Well said Explorer and thank you for the Back Pat. It really was one of those Series of Fortunate Event things and one I will never forget.

Hey, do you think my hat helped?
As I said previously, "You Can Leave Your Hat on"
.................................................. .................... and I am hearing the music in my head while I say that..

CRinVA
10-04-2013, 10:51 AM

A few pics from ten years ago!

First the Tunnel I mentioned! We got to see it by taking the Ghost Tour provided as part of our SKEMERCon.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Stanley_Tunnel.jpg

As close to the Walk-in Cooler that we could get
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Stanley_Walkin_Cooler.jpg

A step in the infamous Overlook Elevator!
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Stanley_Elevator.jpg

And our two honored guests for SKEMERCon '03 [B]Redrum in the Rockies! (I won a contest in naming this SKEMERCon)
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Nov_03_077.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Nov_03_075.jpg

carlosdetweiller
10-04-2013, 11:02 AM
OK. I think that is Rocky Wood in the last photo but I do not recognize the person in the photo just above Rocky. Who is he?

Bev Vincent
10-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Tom Piccirilli

CRinVA
10-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Here's a hint!

He wrote The Devil's Wine and he lived in the area of Estes Park.

:P

By the way, I've met Rocky a few times - he's a class act!

Ben Staad
10-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Great photos. Looks like it was an awesome time. I don't know Rocky or Tim personally but from what I can tell they are awesome people. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Stockerlone
10-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Pet cemetery to be dug up at Stanley Hotel

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24246223/pet-cemetery-be-dug-up-at-stanley-hotel

mikeyw
10-28-2013, 12:04 PM
this thread is interesting with regards the time that SK does or does not devote to signing stuff for fans. I'm going to the Paris event - the reading, but cant be there for the signing on the previous wednesday. We emailed his PA to ask if there would be the opportunity to meet him/have him sign anything at the event and were told politely but firmly that this would not be possible. Disappointing as we are traveling a long way to be there - probably over a thousand miles in fact, but given his schedule and that everyone wants a piece of him, I can understand that he cant make everyone happy all of the time (apart from by writing more books). If someone said would you rather he just did the public circuit and press junkits or wrote more books, i;d have to opt for the books. I'll still be thrilled to see and hear him read in Paris, just as I was when he read in London when Bag of Bones was released, and maybe one day i'll meet him, or maybe not. I'll still be that constant reader regardless.

ICry4Oy
07-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Both COOL and sad reading this thread. No more Bad Penny, Twisted Nadine or Tito Villa.

Randall Flagg
07-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Both COOL and sad reading this thread. No more Bad Penny, Twisted Nadine or Tito Villa.

Life moves on, and all of them (I believe) are alive.