PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Sleep UK Signed edition limited to 200 copies

Pages : [1] 2

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Link http://microsites.hodder.co.uk/DoctorSleep/

Please note the site says they will not sell to a US address!

Jimimck
08-09-2013, 02:08 AM
Already have one confirmed.

carlosdetweiller
08-09-2013, 02:11 AM
If someone not in the USA is ordering and could order an extra one for me I would be forever grateful.

mistercrowley
08-09-2013, 02:14 AM
I'd also like to order a copy if anyone can help

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 02:18 AM
I will have copies but selling for £310, let me know

biomieg
08-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Looks pretty sweet! And I like the fact that there's a separate print of the cover artwork.

http://microsites.hodder.co.uk/DoctorSleep/images/Top-panel.jpg

The Library Policeman
08-09-2013, 02:29 AM
Got one. Thanks for the link, Tom!
I asked if I could order more than one but to no avail :(

jhanic
08-09-2013, 02:58 AM
I'd also like a copy. Willing to pay!

John

Jimimck
08-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Interesting they didn't take an email address when I ordered, so won't be getting any email confirmation of my order.

Nice surprise tonight. A new King signed edition always makes for a good night.

herbertwest
08-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Waiting too a reply to my email.

The Library Policeman
08-09-2013, 03:21 AM
Interesting they didn't take an email address when I ordered, so won't be getting any email confirmation of my order.

Nice surprise tonight. A new King signed edition always makes for a good night.

They never took my email address either James. I asked and they just said it will be sent by courier on release and card will be charged at that time.

Stockerlone
08-09-2013, 03:25 AM

Jimimck
08-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Good chance I have secured a second copy. If so, I'd like to recover some costs towards the first purchase. Feel free to PM me offers if you need a copy. This would be shipped from the UK at cost.

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 03:40 AM
Just got two copies confirmed over the phone, all bought and paid for!!:thumbsup:

I'm going to try to get more if I can...

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 03:45 AM
I'm pretty sure that between family members i have 5 copies, one of which is accounted for

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 03:47 AM
Way to go!!

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Arrgh, Just when you need family they are all out and haven't got their mobile phones with them!

The Library Policeman
08-09-2013, 04:12 AM
Just got two copies confirmed over the phone, all bought and paid for!!:thumbsup:

I'm going to try to get more if I can...

Rachel, did they let you order two on the phone? I asked but was told one per customer.

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 04:34 AM
They did but I had to get one in my name and one in my husbands but to the same address and the sales assistant had to check with a supervisor. My Father in law has just secured another copy for me too so I now have 3 and my mother in law is going to try later today but I expect there won't be any available by then.

I'm trying to get hold of my parents to ask them to order as well so I'll let you know if they come up trumps. They aren't home at the minute and they haven't taken their mobile phones with them.

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 04:39 AM
I phoned back (i'd originally ordered 2 myself) to check on my order because i didn't want it cancelled and they have reduced it to one, shame, so i have 3 spare

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 04:42 AM
I hope they don't do that to my order.

ELazansky
08-09-2013, 04:44 AM
I'll throw my name out there as well if anyone would be able to get a copy for me...

mattgreenbean
08-09-2013, 04:49 AM
H & S, no sales to US, WTF??? Why would they do that?

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 04:52 AM

Maybe they don't need the hastle? Just the same with that happened with the US S/L of 11/22/63

mattgreenbean
08-09-2013, 05:02 AM
I see, well that sucks when anyone is left out :(

Maybe they don't need the hastle? Just the same with that happened with the US S/L of 11/22/63

Stockerlone
08-09-2013, 05:20 AM
Mailed and talked with Bookpoint. My order is confirmed for ONE book.:dance:

SystemCrashOverRide
08-09-2013, 05:20 AM
I e-mailed them about getting a copy shipped to Canada, we shall see.

herbertwest
08-09-2013, 05:38 AM

Did you get an confirmation email? I called them but forgot to ask if we get an email to confirm.

The same reason why Scribner do always restricts their contest to US residents (which is annoying): contracted territory restrictions for selling their books.

As i originally gave 2 names for the address, the woman told me that my gf could call to get another copy. So same address do not seem to be an issue. I'll ask her to do that... but she's off to work til 10pm...

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Another secured so hopefully that's 4 copies provided they don't reduce my first order to only one. My Dad is on the case as well so might have another one soon!

It clearly says one copy PER PERSON not per family or per address so if you have several family members who can order it should be fine.

mattgreenbean
08-09-2013, 05:56 AM
The same reason why Scribner do always restricts their contest to US residents (which is annoying): contracted territory restrictions for selling their books.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but a contest has one or two prizes that they give for free, they could have easily sold to the US and charged any fee they wanted to recoup the costs.

Stockerlone
08-09-2013, 05:56 AM
No mailed confirmation.
They mailed me the info that i must call to order...

SystemCrashOverRide
08-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Can anyone in the Uk grab me a copy? They wont ship to Canada either.

Bev Vincent
08-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Yeah, but a contest has one or two prizes that they give for free, they could have easily sold to the US and charged any fee they wanted to recoup the costs.

The main reason is that the laws governing contests differ from place to place. Even within Canada, when I was younger, some contests applied everywhere except Quebec, because the rules were different and too restrictive in that province.

becca69
08-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Well if anyone has an extra, I would like to throw my name in!

becca69
08-09-2013, 06:18 AM

Are they shipping outside the UK to you?? And who did you contact?

biomieg
08-09-2013, 06:20 AM
It's not a UK-only thing - they are shipping almost everywhere, except to the US and Canada.

becca69
08-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Another secured so hopefully that's 4 copies provided they don't reduce my first order to only one. My Dad is on the case as well so might have another one soon!

It clearly says one copy PER PERSON not per family or per address so if you have several family members who can order it should be fine.

So Rachel, Are any of these extras available?

SystemCrashOverRide
08-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Yes, who has a spare?

Tommy
08-09-2013, 06:33 AM
Gosh I really want one

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Another copy secured by my Mother in law! So if my Dad gets a copy as well then I could get 6 (or 5 if they reduce my first order to 1). Might be able to get my sister to order as well...

I'll take offers on them or ebay them, depends on what the prices are like really as we could do with the funds. Probably best to see exactly how many I actually do receive when they ship as I don't want to sell before I have them and leave people disappointed. This is the first time I have managed to secure more than one copy of any signed book so I don't know the protocol for selling them on, it's nice to have the opportunity for once though.

Tommy
08-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Another copy secured by my Mother in law! So if my Dad gets a copy as well then I could get 6 (or 5 if they reduce my first order to 1). Might be able to get my sister to order as well...

I'll take offers on them or ebay them, depends on what the prices are like really as we could do with the funds. Probably best to see exactly how many I actually do receive when they ship as I don't want to sell before I have them and leave people disappointed. This is the first time I have managed to secure more than one copy of any signed book so I don't know the protocol for selling them on, it's nice to have the opportunity for once though.

I might just be contacting you on delivery day :dance:

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 06:46 AM
I'll keep everyone in the loop as to what arrives...

When my mother in law spoke to them they said that every call today has been for this book. I just hope they don't oversell it and end up cancelling or not fulfilling orders.

herbertwest
08-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Nope. Because publishers are subject to territorial restrictions. H&S cannot sell to the USA, where King's rights are dealt by Scribner.
Scribner, cannot sell to the UK where the rights are owned by Hodder. etc

Maybe Scribner will offer a signed limited edition as well... although i doubt it because there is already CD's DOCTOR SLEEP.

Scoogs
08-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Also looking for one is someone comes up with an extra.

On second thought, I'm going to skip this one.

The Library Policeman
08-09-2013, 07:18 AM

Good for you Rachel. I can see you doing quite well out of this. :D

Patrick
08-09-2013, 07:41 AM
I would love a copy if someone has a spare! Please and thank you!

sharki69
08-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Secured one copy to be shipped to Israel... She was confused with where to send the invoice.
Also, they didn't asked for my email address, hope it will work...

The Library Policeman
08-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Secured one copy to be shipped to Israel... She was confused with where to send the invoice.
Also, they didn't asked for my email address, hope it will work...

Yeah they're not taking email addresses. Just shipping addresses. You should be fine.

herbertwest
08-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Send them an email to make sure?

Merlin1958
08-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Only 200 again, huh? Time to start another "Who owns them" thread!!

:biggrin1:

The Library Policeman
08-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Send them an email to make sure?

I asked on the phone. Card details and shipping address only. No one will get a shipped notification or anything. It'll just show up apparently.

georgeflagg
08-09-2013, 08:38 AM

i would like to buy one for 310 pounds, yhanks

mosheprigan
08-09-2013, 08:46 AM
אהלן sharki69'
אני גם מישראל. שמי משה. אני רואה שאתה מנוי חדש כאן בפורום. אנחנו 2 היחידים מישראל. אני כותב לך בעברית ומקווה שלא יעירו לי על זה. רציתי שתדע שהספר יגיע אליך עם שליח באמצעות חברת מישלוחים כמו פדקס והם גובים מחיר מלא ומאד גבוה כך שתתכונן לשלם עוד בערך 300-250 ש"ח. זו הוצאה מרגיזה שאי אפשר להתחמק ממנה

Ockhamistic
08-09-2013, 09:04 AM

I'd like one of your copies of the UK Doctor Sleep Signed Limited Numbered Edition of 200 for £310. I'm fairly new to posting, so I'm not sure if I'm following protoco,l and doing this correctly. But feel free to admonish me if I'm not.

H Michael

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately, three of my five copies are sold to forum members, i'm just waiting on the fourth and then will go down the list if they don't want it. Otherwise I have a copy on ebay ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221265812053?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Sory I couldn't have gotten more, I would if I could.

mistercrowley
08-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Maybe down the line I'll get one. Too pricey right now

Dan
08-09-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm out. Both by choice and US restriction. I've "tried" to limit myself to only US versions, although I have a few UK editions.

MarcoL
08-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Called and got my order in & decided a couple of minutes later to try and get an extra copy. The lady I spoke with told me that there's a one copy limit per address, but she was kind enough to let me order a 2nd copy in my wife's name which will be shipped to my mother in law.
Bottom line, I have a spare copy which I'd like to offer to anyone interested. I'll match Tito_villa's offer of GBP 310.-
Thanks!

George at C-Springs
08-09-2013, 09:27 AM
No interest in UK S/Ls for me, so not upset at not getting one ... but I still think it's complete BS that H &S won't ship to the US, what a bunch of crap.

MarcoL
08-09-2013, 09:31 AM
No interest in UK S/Ls for me, so not upset at not getting one ... but I still think it's complete BS that S &H won't ship to the US, what a bunch of crap.

I agree! I was thinking the exact same thing when Scribner offered the signed / limited edition of Under the Dome and 11/22/63 to US residents only.

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 09:32 AM
No interest in UK S/Ls for me, so not upset at not getting one ... but I still think it's complete BS that S &H won't ship to the US, what a bunch of crap.

I agree! I was thinking the exact same thing when Scribner offered the signed / limited edition of Under the Dome and 11/22/63 to US residents only.

Ha you beat me to it!

CyberGhostface
08-09-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm fine with the CD edition since this doesn't offer much of interest imo.

Ockhamistic
08-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Called and got my order in & decided a couple of minutes later to try and get an extra copy. The lady I spoke with told me that there's a one copy limit per address, but she was kind enough to let me order a 2nd copy in my wife's name which will be shipped to my mother in law.
Bottom line, I have a spare copy which I'd like to offer to anyone interested. I'll match Tito_villa's offer of GBP 310.-
Thanks!

I'll take it.

tippy4
08-09-2013, 10:02 AM
I need one too!

Will gladly retun the favor twice over if I can.

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 10:25 AM
My sister might have gotten me another reserved, if anyone wants to put their name down for it pm me or email me at dip_dab@hotmail.co.uk

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Gone

tippy4
08-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Can anybody spare a copy?

Willing to pay a premium if needed....

MarcoL
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks!

I'll take it.

Since you're the first to reply to my post, please PM me so we can work out the details! Please note that you need to have 5 posts on the board in order to use PM (if I'm not mistaken).

Randall Flagg
08-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks!

I'll take it.

Since you're the first to reply to my post, please PM me so we can work out the details! Please note that you need to have 5 posts on the board in order to use PM (if I'm not mistaken).
I changed Ockhamistic's status, so he should be able to send PM's now.

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 11:31 AM
My Dad managed to order so it's possible that I may have 6 copies.

I have 5 people on the list for copies but will take offers or hit fleabay when the time comes.

Jimimck
08-09-2013, 11:47 AM
I have a spare. PM offers. Will ship direct from the UK unopened.

jhanic
08-09-2013, 11:50 AM
This has been a VERY expensive year for King collectors! WOW!

John

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Do I count S/L's of The Shining, Doctor Sleep x 2, Joyland, and then the gift editions of Christine and Pet Sematary ... anymore?

subie09lega
08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
The Dark Man.

sharki69
08-09-2013, 12:53 PM
אהלן sharki69'
אני גם מישראל. שמי משה. אני רואה שאתה מנוי חדש כאן בפורום. אנחנו 2 היחידים מישראל. אני כותב לך בעברית ומקווה שלא יעירו לי על זה. רציתי שתדע שהספר יגיע אליך עם שליח באמצעות חברת מישלוחים כמו פדקס והם גובים מחיר מלא ומאד גבוה כך שתתכונן לשלם עוד בערך 300-250 ש"ח. זו הוצאה מרגיזה שאי אפשר להתחמק ממנה

משה היי
מה האימייל שלך ? שלח לי בפרטי
שחר

k9 mommy
08-09-2013, 01:04 PM
I am interested in one of your copy. Can you do better with the price? I can offer 290,
What do you think?

mosheprigan
08-09-2013, 01:06 PM
sharki69
mosheprigan@gmail.com
ההגדרות שלך בפורום לא מאפשרות לשלוח לך מייל אז לא הצלחתי שם. אז אני שולח לכאן.

Randall Flagg
08-09-2013, 01:10 PM
אהלן sharki69'

משה היי
שחר

sharki69
mosheprigan@gmail.com
When here please conduct your business in English. Otherwise, get a room.
I believe you are letting him know that PM's won't go through as he is a new member, but nonetheless it's a bit rude.

Rough translation:
Sharki69' I also from Israel. My name is Moshe. I see that you are new membership here in the forum. We 2 the single from Israel. I write you in Hebrew and hope that not they will awaken me on this. I wanted that will know that the book will arrive at you with messenger by means of the company of shippings like Pdks and they collect very full high price so that will prepare to pay more approximately 300 250 shekels. This irate expense that impossible to evade from her Moshe hi

k9 mommy
08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Alan,
This has nothing to do with Doctor Sleep.
I would like to know what Time Edition is the one you have with Stephen on it.
I am from Canada and Time went broke here.I would like to find a copy from Time US or buy one from you if you have one.
Thanks a bunch.

mosheprigan
08-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Hi Randall Flagg
No business at all. I just found out another King's fan in Israel, my country, a newcomer, and I was glad and greeted him. He thanked me. We're the only Israelis here. I appologize. Yeah, I know the rules: only in English. I'll stick to it.

sharki69
08-09-2013, 01:27 PM
sharki69
mosheprigan@gmail.com

כתבתי לך בפרטי

sharki69
08-09-2013, 01:29 PM
אהלן sharki69'

משה היי
שחר

sharki69
mosheprigan@gmail.com
When here please conduct your business in English. Otherwise, get a room.
I believe you are letting him know that PM's won't go through as he is a new member, but nonetheless it's a bit rude.

Rough translation:
Sharki69' I also from Israel. My name is Moshe. I see that you are new membership here in the forum. We 2 the single from Israel. I write you in Hebrew and hope that not they will awaken me on this. I wanted that will know that the book will arrive at you with messenger by means of the company of shippings like Pdks and they collect very full high price so that will prepare to pay more approximately 300 250 shekels. This irate expense that impossible to evade from her Moshe hi

Sorry for not using English. Will not happened again. Thanks for the heads up

Rachel Readman
08-09-2013, 01:38 PM
OK I've been asked if I would consider offering super limited remarques in the copies of Doctor Sleep which I receive. I'm on the fence.

I know many consider it devaluation in a S/L and that many consider unofficial artists doing remarques in books to be a no no. So, I don't know what interest there would be and how everyone would feel about this idea. Clearly the books would cost more because of the remarques as well as considering the secondary market prices.

Let fly with your thoughts everyone, I won't be offended if you all say no, as I understand this is not for everyone.

The Library Policeman
08-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Alan,
I am from Canada and Time went broke here.I would like to find a copy from Time US or buy one from you if you have one.
Thanks a bunch.

Me??

Randall Flagg
08-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Alan,
Thanks a bunch.

Me??
I think the referral is to your avatar.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/image.php?u=8527&dateline=1373839998

The Library Policeman
08-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Alan,
Thanks a bunch.

Me??
I think the referral is to your avatar.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/image.php?u=8527&dateline=1373839998

Ahhh right. Sorry k9 mommy. It's just a picture I found online that I liked. Can't help you I'm afraid.

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 02:02 PM
OK I've been asked if I would consider offering super limited remarques in the copies of Doctor Sleep which I receive. I'm on the fence.

I know many consider it devaluation in a S/L and that many consider unofficial artists doing remarques in books to be a no no. So, I don't know what interest there would be and how everyone would feel about this idea. Clearly the books would cost more because of the remarques as well as considering the secondary market prices.

Let fly with your thoughts everyone, I won't be offended if you all say no, as I understand this is not for everyone.

It would be a no from me, I only like remarques in books by artist who had contributed to the book

killbourne
08-09-2013, 02:05 PM
I NEED A COPY! can someone help me out?

Tito_Villa
08-09-2013, 02:18 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221265812053?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Bad Penny
08-09-2013, 02:19 PM

It'd be a "yes" for me Rachel - I have no bias at all towards remarques being done by the nominated artist in a given book - so long as the art is complimentary to the tone of the novel, and the remarque is great (as I know yours would be) then I'm all for it :smile:

k9 mommy
08-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Do you have one for sale?

k9 mommy
08-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks Alan.

killbourne
08-09-2013, 03:07 PM

bump

needfulthings
08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
This old man needs a copy also. THANK YOU Bruce

Jimimck
08-09-2013, 05:49 PM
I have a spare. PM offers. Will ship direct from the UK unopened.

Sold.

Randall Flagg
08-09-2013, 06:19 PM

bump
Don't bump twice in an ~hour.

tippy4
08-09-2013, 06:31 PM

It would be a no from me, I only like remarques in books by artist who had contributed to the book

And I agree with Tito Villa.

k9 mommy
08-09-2013, 06:34 PM

I will buy one if you still have some.
Or we can do a trade if you want.
I have a few S/L that are to trade or sell.

IT S/L #unopened
Under the Dome S/L #unopened - one ( 1 ) flatsigned with picture,band and receipt.
Joyland S/L # unopened

neosatus
08-09-2013, 06:38 PM

Same here. It's not even technically a "re" "mark" at that point. To me, it would heavily devalue the book.

TwistedNadine
08-09-2013, 07:34 PM
This has been a VERY expensive year for King collectors! WOW!
John

Yeah it has. Exhausting.

Lots of after-the-fact excitement in this thread. Kudos to the members who managed to get multiple copies.

Rachel Readman
08-10-2013, 04:37 AM
I fully expected most people to say this about remarques or original art. I don't want to be seen as trying to push my wares and only asked because someone else asked me about doing this.

In terms of the 6 books I may have coming, I will be offering 5 for sale. I've had offers of £400 for copies (plus shipping) but have these people on hold until I decide what to do and see how prices and offers go for them. I'm considering putting them on ebay for pre-order but would prefer them to sell here to collectors. If anyone here wants to make offers, particularly those that have already asked me for copies then feel free. I would expect Paypal gift payment in £GBP to secure copies. There a many here who will back up my honesty and legitimacy so there would be no worries on receiving books or a refund should I not receive all the copies. Shipping is likely to be around £25 to the US but would only be charged at actual cost.

LostAlivE
08-10-2013, 06:20 AM
I knew this was going to happen. If anyone can help me get a copy of the 1-200 edition for a reasonable price please send me a message. I know this is the only place to ask because everyone tries to help each other out on this website.

Tito_Villa
08-10-2013, 08:00 AM
I might have one more for sale as someone dropped out (no hard feelings to that person)

tippy4
08-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Anyone want to trade their extra Dr. Sleep UK for my S/L Dolan's Cadillac 1/1000?

MarcoL
08-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I have an extra copy for sale, price is the same as the other copy I had GBP 310.- please PM me if interested.

Merlin1958
08-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Alas, I missed out on this one (for now), but I think I understand the "Overseas only" philosophy and the one book per family policy. We do pretty darn well here in the states (with S/L's and such, not to mention "signing events") and I suppose others need a shot once in a while. It's only fair. Congrats to all of you folks securing copies!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

LostAlivE
08-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Thank you MarcoL you all of your help.

shaq
08-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Got one, 8:59 this morning, very helpful and selling very quickly.

Payment and delivery end of September

MarcoL
08-12-2013, 06:42 AM
I may be able to offer another copy, anyone interested?

Rogge
08-12-2013, 07:34 AM
E-mailed them on friday (late), they called today at 12. One copy ordered!

shaq
08-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I wonder if this will have any artwork in it?

Like WTTK had?

herbertwest
08-13-2013, 01:07 AM
I wonder if this will have any artwork in it?
Like WTTK had?

It's not mentionned in the page, so i wouldnt hold my breath for it.
Managed to book 2 copies that are already booked.

Steerpike
08-13-2013, 04:33 AM
Triple-signed, remarqued and doodled "Joyland" are available via the Analectabooks dot com website.

TwistedNadine
08-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Triple-signed, remarqued and doodled "Joyland" are available via the Analectabooks dot com website.

Ok this is the fifth time you've posted this.
Are you getting a commission on the sales Steerpike?
Not trying to bust your balls but you have a total of 7 posts since 2008 and so far the only posts Ive seen are about these Joylands
Irritates me.

jhanic
08-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks, TN. I feel the same way.

John

Steerpike
08-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Wow. That's rude. Just couldn't figure out why my post didn't show. Pardon me for sharing the news.

Tito_Villa
08-13-2013, 12:44 PM

Ok this is the fifth time you've posted this.
Are you getting a commission on the sales Steerpike?
Not trying to bust your balls but you have a total of 7 posts since 2008 and so far the only posts Ive seen are about these Joylands
Irritates me.

I think it's Steve from Analecta

Randall Flagg
08-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Wow. That's rude. Just couldn't figure out why my post didn't show. Pardon me for sharing the news.
She did preface it by saying she didn't want to bust your balls.
Some of your posts (the ones before you had 5 official posts) were mod queued by our spam software. I usually check for those things once a day or so.
No since getting too ruffled about it. Certainly you been treated more kindly here than people selling at SK.com's message board.

Ari_Racing
08-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Got one copy. :)

needfulthings
08-14-2013, 10:10 AM
:dance: NAILED ONE AT COVER PRICE :dance:
Where there's a will... There's a way.

jhanic
08-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Congratulations!

John

ELazansky
08-14-2013, 11:23 AM

Is Will going to help the rest of us out? :)

needfulthings
08-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Chances are slim for you see his full name is
Will Knot & like the AD said ONLY 1 BOOK PER (CUSS)TOMER

Patrick
08-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Still in the market, but not hopeful.

Jimimck
08-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Hey team,
For bloody good reasons, the sale of my second copy has fallen through, and so I have one available.

At the risk of incuring the wrath of you non-capitalists out there, I am looking to sell for profit (as I only purchased one for myself under the hopes of mitigating some of the cost).

Looking for £350 plus shipping. It will be shipped, unopened, direct from the UK.

PM me and will see if we can sort out a deal.

Cheers
James

ELazansky
08-14-2013, 03:08 PM

Chances are slim for you see his full name is
Will Knot & like the AD said ONLY 1 BOOK PER (CUSS)TOMER

Touche, good sir :-)

Merlin1958
08-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Hey team,
For bloody good reasons, the sale of my second copy has fallen through, and so I have one available.

At the risk of incuring the wrath of you non-capitalists out there, I am looking to sell for profit (as I only purchased one for myself under the hopes of mitigating some of the cost).

Looking for £350 plus shipping. It will be shipped, unopened, direct from the UK.

PM me and will see if we can sort out a deal.

Cheers
James

You intend to sell at a "profit"? You freaking "Aussie" heathen!!! Don't you know that the entire literary world sells just to break even? Fucking "Aussie criminals ruining it for everyone else!!! I am so ashamed!!!

:P:P:P

Jimimck
08-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Bill - one last time :shoot:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/jimimck/image_zpsb8b2d22d.jpg

But seriously folks, any interest in a signed copy of Doctor Sleep?

Dan
08-15-2013, 03:49 AM
Bill - one last time :shoot:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/jimimck/image_zpsb8b2d22d.jpg

HAHAHA :lol1:

subie09lega
08-15-2013, 05:50 AM
...But seriously folks, any interest in a signed copy of Doctor Sleep?

This is obviously a polarizing issue....I know you're trying to defray your cost but I would probably be interested if I knew that I wasn't paying a 75% markup for a book so the seller would only need to pay 25% for their copy. When I see this, it just makes me think that I'm being told that I can get a copy if I buy one for you, too.
But I'm sure someone is willing to pay for it. Looks like TV got £377.77 for his copy on ebay. Good luck with the sale.
Let the firestorm begin.
....and yes I understand capitalism.

mistercrowley
08-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Hey I am in favor of capitalism but I look at these specific editions being sold on the secondary market like this....there is no chance in hell im paying more for this edition of Dr. Sleep than I did for the CD edition. It won't be half as nice and is not worth it

subie09lega
08-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Hey I am in favor of capitalism but I look at these specific editions being sold on the secondary market like this....there is no chance in hell im paying more for this edition of Dr. Sleep than I did for the CD edition. It won't be half as nice and is not worth it

I agree. From what I've seen of the H&S editions, there's nothing too compelling about them. Especially not at $400-500.

Rachel Readman
08-15-2013, 09:27 AM
I've decided to let my copies go to people here first rather than to people who I don't 'know' or via ebay even though I could get more money for them. 4 copies available (as long as I get them all). £350 including shipping to Europe/US/Canada (normally £25 via UPS 2 day service). Australia, New Zealand, China and far off lands will be about £50 so I'll cover half that in the price for shipping. Those who have sent me a PM and are on the list will be given first dibs.

Patrick
08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm in the camp that is unwilling to pay GBP 350 for this edition for a variety of reasons, but I bear no ill-will to our UK friends and members for selling extra books in whatever venue or for whatever price they choose.

Jimimck
08-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Hey guys, remember, it will only sell at 350GBP if someone wants to pay it....

And I'm just being up front an honest with the team here as to my reasons for selling this at the price listed. I would happily sell at issue price to friends here if I was in a financial position to do so....

mistercrowley
08-15-2013, 02:23 PM
I am not blaming you for selling it at that price. If i had bought one or two at cover price i would too, in a heartbeat.

Kingfan24
08-15-2013, 02:45 PM

This is obviously a polarizing issue....I know you're trying to defray your cost but I would probably be interested if I knew that I wasn't paying a 75% markup for a book so the seller would only need to pay 25% for their copy. When I see this, it just makes me think that I'm being told that I can get a copy if I buy one for you, too.
But I'm sure someone is willing to pay for it. Looks like TV got £377.77 for his copy on ebay. Good luck with the sale.
Let the firestorm begin.

I agree wholeheartedly with this - it appears this edition hasn't even sold out yet with a few of our members here posting as late as yesterday they got copies at issue price - if it was available to the us market most of us here would have helped sell out already - thats why an extra 140 pounds seems a little expensive for this edition. To me, a slipcase and extra print aren't worth near as much as CD amazing production quality.

Jimimck
08-15-2013, 03:18 PM
I actually agree that the CD publication will be better quality too. But there are 750 of those vs 200 of these....

Kingfan24
08-15-2013, 05:07 PM
I actually agree that the CD publication will be better quality too. But there are 750 of those vs 200 of these....

I agree that the number increases the rarity factor but the fact that its just a slightly modified trade is kind of disappointing. I'm not saying however that you shouldn't try to get what you want for it - if you can get it, more power to you!

George at C-Springs
08-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Basic supply and demand ... if someone wants/needs something and they are willing to pay the price, it will sell. If price is too high or they don't want/need it bad enough, it won't. Nothing wrong with making a profit, and I particularly appreciate it when the seller is right up front about it, especially among friends.

jhanic
08-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Exactly the way I feel about it. If you don't want it at whatever price, then DON'T BUY IT!

John

TwistedNadine
08-15-2013, 05:41 PM

I guess your posts were not showing up so you posted the news several times. I can understand that.
However, I find it hard to believe you were so disgusted with my rudeness that you dont show up again and share other items of interest
Sorry Steerpike but it really does irritate me when people show up here for the sole purpose of pitching their wares yet have no interest in contributing anything

tippy4
08-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Careful with that "contributing" talk TN....next thing you know Jerome is going to force people from this section to venture out and post in other sections...and then from there we just rename the site DT.NET.

Greg
08-16-2013, 02:33 AM
I have a spare copy that I would like to offer as trade for preferably SL Shining or SL Dark Man, please drop me a line to discuss, cheers.

Rachel Readman
08-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Since we're all being upfront and I am as honest as the day is long... I need the money to fulfill a dream of having my own kiln so that I can fire my own pottery work rather than having to pay someone else way over the odds to use theirs. I can't afford to buy one as they cost a fortune to buy. Selling these books at £350 including shipping will mean I can just about manage to buy that kiln, it won't cover the cost of the kiln, far from it. I'll then have to spend money from my own funds to have all the electrics wired into the outbuilding which will be my workshop. Anyone who buys from me would be helping me out BIG TIME!!

£325 plus £25 for shipping is a fair market price and they are selling on ebay at £350+, I have had offers of £400 by email from people who I don't actually know, they must know of me from my artwork or website or something but as I said, I decided to let people here have them if they want them.

I certainly don't want to be seen as being greedy or extortionate and I think I have done a lot for the website and community with the Haven Fund contributions, swapping books with people and getting UK books for people and shipping them out at no extra cost etc and I will continue to do this if I can.

There are lots of people here who sell books way over the retail price every single time a book is released, look at Joyland only a few weeks ago. There have been numerous debates over this subject and the majority see it as perfectly acceptable and nobody has ever offered me books at cost but then I don't begrudge them selling at whatever price I, or anyone else is willing to pay. I, like many here, cannot afford to buy books time after time and have a complete collection or anything even close, occasionally I manage to have spare cash to grab odd copies here and there.

Tito_Villa
08-16-2013, 03:58 AM
Still 20 copies left, trying to get more ...

sharki69
08-16-2013, 05:40 AM
I have a friend in UK for shipping, however they won't let me use US billing address (paying with US CC).... thoughts ?

Kingfan24
08-16-2013, 05:42 AM

That's insane that a king s/l still has copies this late after being announced.

jhanic
08-16-2013, 05:59 AM

That's insane that a king s/l still has copies this late after being announced.

I think it's because the North American buyers have effectively been shut out of buying this one directly.

John

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Nadine, your disbelief is erroneous. I was pretty upset, actually, and would have replied further but (perhaps wisely) the thread was closed. I remain deeply divided on whether I wish to be part of a community that is so cliquey (?) that it has no tolerance for new members whose input does not meet your strict (albeit two-faced) views on what is acceptable. Before I posted that information, I read much of this thread, and that of "Joyland", and both are replete with members both buying and selling SK books. This is a good thing, it seems to me, and if my contribution was in keeping, and potentially of value, I was happy to throw it in the ring. I certainly did not expect to get flamed in the process. Randall's response that you at least stated "I don't want to bust your balls or anything" (before you went ahead and did it anyway) and that actually excuses you in some way is beyond my understanding, to be honest. He goes on to state that I was treated better here than some on other forum sites. It seems a poor measure to me, that it's okay to be rude over here, as long as you're not as rude as the guys over there. I read something recently, and I'll be darned if I can recall where (I have this nagging voice in my head saying it was in an SK book - if so, one of you can probably enlighten me, and correct my sorry butchering of what follows) - it went something like "he was randy and erect with his own continued self-existence" - that's what sprang to mind when I read your post, and that of your compatriot.

MarcoL
08-16-2013, 06:20 AM
My 2 cents...on the one hand I also don't feel okay asking more than the issued price + the extra costs for shipping, but on the other hand there are lots of books I'd like to add to my collection for which I also need to pay a premium. The bit of profit I can make this time (opportunities like this don't happen too often) allows me to add some other books to my collection which cost a lot more than the issue price. Isn't that the way most of us collectors like to build their collection?

mistercrowley
08-16-2013, 06:36 AM
It seemed a little spammy when it was the same message over and over again but if there was a mix up then hopefully this can get straightened out.

Greg
08-16-2013, 06:52 AM
As many know there has been a situation recently where J K Rowling released a book under a pseudonym and a very small number were signed under said pseudonym and sold via Goldsboro in the UK. This title was sold by the bookseller for £16.99 and are now selling on eBay for upwards of £2800. I know this is a very rare instance but it gives an indication that if someone wants something badly enough they will virtually re-mortgage.
Now a print run of 200 for a UK King Ltd gives the book a greater rarity than the US edition but we all know US editions are more sought after regardless of print run. Keeping North America out of the loop may have some bearing on re-sale value and therefore asking for a return of +%75 isn't over the top, it may be the case that these books maybe undervalued when Joyland is selling for +%400. It does come down to issue price I know but surely as is shown by J K Rowling/Robert Galbraith, something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

herbertwest
08-16-2013, 06:55 AM
I have a friend in UK for shipping, however they won't let me use US billing address (paying with US CC).... thoughts ?

Make him pay & paypal him the money?
it wont be charged before the beginning of september. at least what i was told.
Anyway, that's what i am doing for 2 fellow american collectors & friends here. Without taking any profit for me, simply the pleasure to help some friends that have helped me a lot, several times.

sharki69
08-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Make him pay & paypal him the money?
it wont be charged before the beginning of september. at least what i was told.
Anyway, that's what i am doing for 2 fellow american collectors & friends here. Without taking any profit for me, simply the pleasure to help some friends that have helped me a lot, several times.

Thanks herbert. I guess now I will find out who my friends are... :couple::couple:

Jimimck
08-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Let the firestorm begin.

Been thinking about this post for a while, and finally figured out what bothered me about it.

If I read your post correctly, what I'm hearing is your issue is not so much with the inflated price, but rather my reason behind it.

Really?
You have issue paying a premium for a book when the reason is to help fund the purchase of another King book for a collector?

I don't know about other collectors, but I for one would much rather pay a premium for a book I wanted if it was for sale by someone I knew was also a collector, and was using those additional funds to help further their own collection, as opposed to some stranger off eBay who was more than likely just in it for the absolute profit (the guy selling 12 signed copies of Joyland springs to mind).

I'm not really worried about people who have an issue with people selling books for profit, like I said above it will only sell if there is a market for it, and its a fun topic to discuss (although we may have to change the title of this thread lol), but having issue with the reason behind selling a book for profit is a bit weird to me....

Highbury
08-16-2013, 08:40 AM
There is a reason why the companies designate a purchase as one per person or household. I think it's clear they want to encourage as many individuals who want one to get one. Not to have someone skirt it for profitable gain by hoarding even just 1 more than you truly wish to own.

subie09lega
08-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Been thinking about this post for a while, and finally figured out what bothered me about it.
If I read your post correctly, what I'm hearing is your issue is not so much with the inflated price, but rather my reason behind it.
Really?
You have issue paying a premium for a book when the reason is to help fund the purchase of another King book for a collector?
I don't know about other collectors, but I for one would much rather pay a premium for a book I wanted if it was for sale by someone I knew was also a collector, and was using those additional funds to help further their own collection, as opposed to some stranger off eBay who was more than likely just in it for the absolute profit (the guy selling 12 signed copies of Joyland springs to mind).
I'm not really worried about people who have an issue with people selling books for profit, like I said above it will only sell if there is a market for it, and its a fun topic to discuss (although we may have to change the title of this thread lol), but having issue with the reason behind selling a book for profit is a bit weird to me....

Thanks for your thoughts Jimimck. I'll try to clarify.
I have no problem paying a markup on a book, especially if it's another collector. I'm glad that there are people like you providing this service to those who want a copy but, due to the publisher's policies, don't have access to it. I just think that the markup that I've seen is unreasonable but, like I said, there are others that feel fine paying it. If I feel like I'm being gouged more than helped by someone then it turns me off to the deal. In this instance, I see someone charging sizable markup to 1. order a book (minimal effort) and then 2. forward that book to someone (a little more effort).
Do I think it's worth what you're asking? No, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask what you think is fair for your efforts.

RIC #520
08-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Here are my thoughts on this conflict between twisted and steerpike. If the intent is to sell books at profit, then the business should take place in “Collectible Classifieds” tread. The collector discussion threads are for active members to discussion, debate, share information and help each other get “hook up” on something they are looking for. First of all, the members that "live" in these discussion threads are typically not going to pay retail or even prices that can be obtain on eBay. So steerpike, as you are finding out , you are more than likely wasting your time in trying to sell in a thread like this. Naturally, well established members will have the benefit to get away with trying to sell something here more so than someone just coming here for selling only. So, stick with the “Collectible Classifieds” tread or join in a discussion of “Doctor Sleep UK Signed edition limited to 200 copies” as this tread was intended… If possible, let’s lay this to rest…

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks RIC - I am still finding my way around (did not know there was a "Collectable Classifieds" section). I'll finish my own "contribution" by adding that the copies for sale via the Analecta site are not as-issued, with a big mark-up - a heck of a lot of work, co-ordination and additional fees (artists included) went into these, and the price reflects that. Nuff said on that, for my part. And this is completely aside from the downright rudeness of some of DT's members.

Tommy
08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks RIC - I am still finding my way around (did not know there was a "Collectable Classifieds" section). I'll finish my own "contribution" by adding that the copies for sale via the Analecta site are not as-issued, with a big mark-up - a heck of a lot of work, co-ordination and additional fees (artists included) went into these, and the price reflects that. Nuff said on that, for my part. And this is completely aside from the downright rudeness of some of DT's members.

It's fine that you are learning the ropes but I really don't think anyone was all that rude to you, some were having a bit of fun with your multiple posts but nothing excessive, I've seen what some people are capable of on here and trust me, no one was rude, some were joking, including me, and you took it as being at your expense when you should have joked back, it's really nothing to get so bent out of shape over, no one meant you any harm by it and calling potential customers rude isn't all that great of a strategy either, I came on these boards for over a year before I decided to join because I wanted to know what the people were like and how I should approach some and maybe even avoid others given my personality and theirs and how I think they might clash, if anyone was rude it might have been you for blurting out multiple posts of the same thing over and over again and many different threads

becca69
08-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Maybe you could have introduced yourself first, explained who you were and then posted in the classifieds or correct thread about your books?

Tito_Villa
08-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Maybe you could have introduced yourself first, explained who you were and then posted in the classifieds or correct thread about your books?

Sounds logical

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks - for reasons detailed by another DT chap, my posts were blocked for screening as I was new (hence the multiple postings).

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 11:01 AM
And I believe I have already stated that I did not know there was a Classified ads section. Cut me some slack guys, I repeat - I'm new.

Kingfan24
08-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Steerpike,

Coming from someone who has had to rebuild his reputation here - trust me you got off easy. Make sure before browsing around you check and see where posts are supposed to go and before selling/buying you make sure to let everyone know who you are.

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks Kingfan, but I respectfully disagree - there's no excuse for rudeness.

tippy4
08-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Let's move on and get back on topic.

MarcoL
08-16-2013, 11:43 AM
I 2nd your suggestion!

jhanic
08-16-2013, 11:52 AM

:thumbsup:

John

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Agreed

Randall Flagg
08-16-2013, 11:58 AM
And I believe I have already stated that I did not know there was a Classified ads section. Cut me some slack guys, I repeat - I'm new.
I agree. Let's get back on topic (after a short diatribe by me). Sorry that things got off on the wrong foot. Perhaps we can all move forward in a positive fashion and put this begind us. Chalk it up to a misunderstanding, spam software, and a new person finding his way around who should have been helped and not criticized.
Steerpike, it's nice to see you posting. If you have questions, feel free to ask publicly or PM me.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming:grouphug:

jhanic
08-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Steerpike, why don't you put the link to your business in your signature? That would be a big help for a lot of us here.

John

Jimimck
08-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Back on topic re discussing this book, I saw a post last night saying there are still 20 copies available from the publisher for those who can order outside of the US...

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 12:11 PM
As a complete aside - does anyone collect first editions of the non-King titles referred to in The Dark Tower? "Chylde Roland..." for instance, and I know there are a number of others..........

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Jhanic, I'm not particularly technical, I'm afraid - plus it's a sore subject right now, I'd rather leave all that alone, at least for the time being (thanks for the advice, though).

The Library Policeman
08-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Back on topic. Anyone want a UK Doctor Sleep S/L for $1000? :evil:

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Jhanic, thanks for the tip, but I am a bit of a Luddite myself, and would have to figure that out - right now though, that's a sore subject, and I would rather leave all that alone for a while.

Steerpike
08-16-2013, 12:20 PM
And there I go, posting twice again........

Jimimck
08-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Only if you spend the money on more King books :biggrin:

Tito_Villa
08-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Very frustrating trying to get ore books ordered for people...

The Library Policeman
08-16-2013, 01:11 PM

Only if you spend the money on more King books :biggrin:

Of course! Stuff buying food and clothes with it. :D

Bad Penny
08-16-2013, 01:54 PM

:emot-roflolmao: One zillion rep points to the man in the kilt :emot-roflolmao:

Dreamweapon
08-17-2013, 03:38 AM
I'm wondering if this is slow to sell more because of the manner in which it's being sold, rather than just where they're allowed to ship to.

I've never had to ring up for a limited edition like in the "olden days" & I'm not exactly new to collecting - it was quite fun waiting 'til Monday morning not knowing if I'd be in time (& even more fun knowing I'd be able to afford it for once).

Anyway, just a thought, seems to me there has to be more than 200 interested collectors outside the US & Canada, that's all.

dw

killbourne
08-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Very frustrating trying to get ore books ordered for people...

Why is that?

tippy4
08-17-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm wondering if this is slow to sell more because of the manner in which it's being sold, rather than just where they're allowed to ship to.

I've never had to ring up for a limited edition like in the "olden days" & I'm not exactly new to collecting - it was quite fun waiting 'til Monday morning not knowing if I'd be in time (& even more fun knowing I'd be able to afford it for once).

Anyway, just a thought, seems to me there has to be more than 200 interested collectors outside the US & Canada, that's all.

dw

I would say it is multiple reasons.

1. No offense to our UK friends out there, but most of the UK S/Ls have been less than exciting over the years. No new art, boring slipcase, no DJ. Take all that and couple it with the UTD shipping snafu and, well......

2. This S/L is not cheap...even at cover price.

3. American collectors make up the bulk of the SK collecting community, and since they cannot buy this edition through normal channels....and even if they could many do not collect UK S/Ls.

4. Everybody is broke from the avalanche of other SK S/Ls this year.

TwistedNadine
08-17-2013, 01:36 PM
"he was randy and erect with his own continued self-existence" - that's what sprang to mind when I read your post, and that of your compatriot.

Not sure where the quote is from but I love it.
Very articulate and passionate post, Steerpike.
Thanks for sharing your viewpoint and I hope you stick around

Patrick
08-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Steerpike, glad to have you here.

Dreamweapon and Rick, I think your combined list of reasons pretty well covers why this book is selling out in a multiple of days rather than minutes or hours.

Sellers, we're all mostly adults and understand the demands on personal cash flow. No ill will, so none of you need to justify your reasons for your asking prices, although Rachel's is the coolest. :D

Randall Flagg
08-17-2013, 01:57 PM
"he was randy and erect with his own continued self-existence" - that's what sprang to mind when I read your post, and that of your compatriot.

Not sure where the quote is from but I love it.
Very articulate and passionate post, Steerpike.
Thanks for sharing your viewpoint and I hope you stick around
I love the saying so much that I had to use it as a signature-I did credit Steerpike.
That could be the opening line to a "Fifty Shades of...(insert new shade of grey color)" novel.

#000000 rgb(0,0,0) #080808 rgb(8,8,8) #101010 rgb(16,16,16) #181818 rgb(24,24,24) #202020 rgb(32,32,32) #282828 rgb(40,40,40) #303030 rgb(48,48,48) #383838 rgb(56,56,56) #404040 rgb(64,64,64) #484848 rgb(72,72,72) #505050 rgb(80,80,80) #585858 rgb(88,88,88) #606060 rgb(96,96,96) #686868 rgb(104,104,104) #707070 rgb(112,112,112) #787878 rgb(120,120,120) #808080 rgb(128,128,128) #888888 rgb(136,136,136) #909090 rgb(144,144,144) #989898 rgb(152,152,152) #A0A0A0 rgb(160,160,160) #A8A8A8 rgb(168,168,168) #B0B0B0 rgb(176,176,176) #B8B8B8 rgb(184,184,184) #C0C0C0 rgb(192,192,192) #C8C8C8 rgb(200,200,200) #D0D0D0 rgb(208,208,208) #D8D8D8 rgb(216,216,216) #E0E0E0 rgb(224,224,224) #E8E8E8 rgb(232,232,232) #F0F0F0 rgb(240,240,240) #F8F8F8 rgb(248,248,248) #FFFFFF rgb(255,255,255)

TwistedNadine
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
When I do a google search for it TDT is the only link that comes up lol
Steerpike should copyright that one

Your added spoiler gave me a headache tho I understood it (what would we do without google?)

biomieg
08-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Steerpike's quote is from a King novel or story I think - I know I've read it before.

Tito_Villa
08-21-2013, 03:30 AM
Just had somebody new ring up and all the books are sold out!

MarcoL
08-21-2013, 09:27 AM
I decided to sell the copy I ordered for myself. I'll stick to the price these copies are going for on the board, GBP 350.- incl. worldwide shipping. I'd also be interested in a trade for signed/limited Joe Hill book(s) like the UK slipcased S/L 20th century ghosts for example if you live in Europe.
Please PM if you're interested.

mosheprigan
08-21-2013, 10:34 AM
"American collectors make up the bulk of the SK collecting community, and since they cannot buy this edition through normal channels....and even if they could many do not collect UK S/Ls."
Well, a true completist collector has the US & UK versions of each published book of Stephen King. If we look at what collectors are proud of, with all their pictured stuff in so many threads here, I may conclude that we see a lot of UK editions which generally have a smaller printrun and considered somehow hard to get. The fact that they have our amiable protagonist Stephen King's signature, this makes a UK book not less collectible than the American one.

tippy4
08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Well, speaking from my own experience, I started collecting UK S/Ls six or seven years after I started collecting US S/Ls.

I purposely avoided them....but eventually gave in.

In fact, the ONLY UK King books that I own are his S/Ls.

I believe a large number of collectors here have passed on Doctor Sleep.

I disagree...I think the UK version IS "less collectible" than the US version.

DoctorZaius
08-21-2013, 12:56 PM
I know I passed on it. Not because its a British limited (I had to own Joyland) but because I already have the CD one coming. I do not see myself as ever being a completist - not enough funds. Frankly, this edition does not look that good either.

Merlin1958
08-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Well, speaking from my own experience, I started collecting UK S/Ls six or seven years after I started collecting US S/Ls.

And you base this opinion on... ????

divemaster
08-21-2013, 07:47 PM
I have no interest in UK editions. In fact, in a moment of frenzy a couple of years ago I ordered the UK S/L of The Wind through the Keyhole. When it arrived I wondered what the hell was I thinking and promptly sold it.

Exceptions being things like The Colorado Kid and Joyland, for which there is no U.S. S/L'd version. I also did buy the U.K. S/L'd release of Under the Dome b/c it had a numbered limitation page rather just just a flatsigned blank page like the U.S. But when I look at it on my shelf I'm not particularly happy about it.

So, yes, I have the U.S. Dr. Sleep on order and that's enough for me.

tippy4
08-21-2013, 08:15 PM
I think divemaster just answered your question Merlin.

Less interest means greater supply which means less collectible in my book.

mistercrowley
08-22-2013, 02:17 AM
They don't seem to be as nice in terms of production values either.

shaq
08-22-2013, 02:33 AM
I'd say that the majority of Ltds in the uk are not as good production wise, ie hodder but you cannot fault Colorado Kid.

But I'd have to think a lot longer before I come back with another example.

Which ones do I go back to and purr over....CDs mainly!

But I do have all the uk SLs that have come up since collecting, and actually grateful for this version of Dr S as missed out on the CD version.

......ps I don't actually purr, it's just to get my point over....which I suppose is an agreement of sorts but reasons I like my uk versions too.

Jimimck
08-22-2013, 03:16 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit of variety. I like the UK versions and how they differ from their US cousins.

LostAlivE
08-22-2013, 09:16 AM

So having said all of that how many copies did you order?................hehehe

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I just collect everything (that I can afford).

Merlin1958
08-22-2013, 06:37 PM
I have no interest in UK editions. In fact, in a moment of frenzy a couple of years ago I ordered the UK S/L of The Wind through the Keyhole. When it arrived I wondered what the hell was I thinking and promptly sold it.

Exceptions being things like The Colorado Kid and Joyland, for which there is no U.S. S/L'd version. I also did buy the U.K. S/L'd release of Under the Dome b/c it had a numbered limitation page rather just just a flatsigned blank page like the U.S. But when I look at it on my shelf I'm not particularly happy about it.

So, yes, I have the U.S. Dr. Sleep on order and that's enough for me.

I think divemaster just answered your question Merlin.

Less interest means greater supply which means less collectible in my book.

OK, I see your point. I was just curious is all. Didn't mean to sound snippy, but in retrospect I guess I could see how my question was a bit terse. I don't necessarily agree, as I generally like the U.K. Editions and therefore have an entire collection of them. Nevertheless, I can see how some may prefer their own countries version over another. I guess in the end it comes down to one's personal taste's.

Also, as rule I agree that the U.K. S/L's do not seem to have the same production standards as the U.S. one's. I am generally a fan of the DJ's for the 1/1 U.K. editions mostly by Hodder & Stoughton.

mosheprigan
08-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Merlin1958
I think your answer as an American collector looks impartial, and much more to the point, unlike some others who seem angry that they could not get the book and as a "revenge" they diminish the UK edition by presenting it as a non-collectible, not worthy of collecting while holding some other UK stuff in their collections.

killbourne
08-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Merlin1958
I think your answer as an American collector looks impartial, and much more to the point, unlike some others who seem angry that they could not get the book and as a "revenge" they diminish the UK edition by presenting it as a non-collectible, not worthy of collecting while holding some other UK stuff in their collections.

To each their own. I'll just wait a year or two to grab it when someone gets tired of it sitting on their shelf. I agree with Merlin that I usually prefer the DJ's over the US version. Quality wise, I think that collectors tend to agree that the US versions are just more collectiable. I found it somewhat disappointing that H&S decided not to sell to US customers(is this the first for that). I also didnt see as much comradery among members here in regards to this edition as I have seen in the past.

Jimimck
08-23-2013, 12:08 AM
As someone who has missed out on purchasing US signed limited's in the past because of the "no sale to international customers" rule imposed, I'm happy to have had a chance to pick this edition up without too much competition.

I'm also a fan of the bright colours used. Will be a nice contrast to some of the other UK editions in my bookcase.

mistercrowley
08-23-2013, 01:42 AM
I'm not diminishing this version. I just don't think its worth the price people are asking on the secondary market. I bought the CD version direct from them at the time of purchase and i'm much more impressed with the overall production compared to this and the prices that are being asked. More then likely it will go down in value like the UK version of TWTTKH did after high initial prices.

Jimimck
08-23-2013, 02:25 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the CD s/l numbered version of this will sell for on the secondary market?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the CD s/l numbered version of this will sell for on the secondary market?

As all King books, they initially go for huge prices in the first couple of weeks, and then they gradually come down to a more realistic price. Wait a year, or until the next King book comes out, to gauge the normal selling price.

(I have never paid full publisher's price for a gift edition yet.)

tippy4
08-23-2013, 08:52 AM

As all King books, they initially go for huge prices in the first couple of weeks, and then they gradually come down to a more realistic price. Wait a year, or until the next King book comes out, to gauge the normal selling price.

(I have never paid full publisher's price for a gift edition yet.)

I sold one for $750.

tippy4
08-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Merlin1958

Not sure if that comment is directed at me........but will respond as if it was....

While I am mildly annoyed that I could not purchase the book from the publisher directly...I have no desire for "revenge". Being an American collector, I have pretty much never been "shut-out" of a King S/L.....and as I am a long time customer of DMG.....I get to buy books that many others do not...all that being said...I am not too upset that I have to pay a premium to a member here for ONE book in my collection. I have had a good run, and have no complaints.

Nobody here stated that UK S/Ls are non-collectible, nor that they were not worthy of any of our collections...just that they are less collectible than US S/Ls...for a variety of reasons (quality and cost being the biggest two).

jhanic
08-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Merlin1958

Not sure if that comment is directed at me........but will respond as if it was....

While I am mildly annoyed that I could not purchase the book from the publisher directly...I have no desire for "revenge". Being an American collector, I have pretty much never been "shut-out" of a King S/L.....and as I am a long time customer of DMG.....I get to buy books that many others do not...all that being said...I am not too upset that I have to pay a premium to a member here for ONE book in my collection. I have had a good run, and have no complaints.

Nobody here stated that UK S/Ls are non-collectible, nor that they were not worthy of any of our collections)...just that they are less collectible than US S/Ls...for a variety of reasons (quality and cost being the biggest two).

Just the way I feel too.

John

Randall Flagg
08-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Merlin1958

Nobody here stated that UK S/Ls are non-collectible, nor that they were not worthy of any of our collections...just that they are less collectible than US S/Ls...for a variety of reasons (quality and cost being the biggest two).
tippy4, there may be a slight language barrier where mosheprigan's comment didn't "translate" properly.

Jimimck
08-23-2013, 12:25 PM

(I have never paid full publisher's price for a gift edition yet.)v

Which is what we are seeing here with the UK edition I guess.

tippy4
08-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Merlin1958

tippy4, there may be a slight language barrier where mosheprigan's comment didn't "translate" properly.

That occurred to me as well...and I responded with that in mind.

Merlin1958
08-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Well, I sure did not mean to cause a fuss. As I said, if my post came off as attacking or snide it was not my intent and I apologize. I was just curious is all. "Never judge a book by it's cover"? LOL LOL

cit74
08-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Well, I sure did not mean to cause a fuss. As I said, if my post came off as attacking or snide it was not my intent and I apologize. I was just curious is all. "Never judge a book by it's cover"? LOL LOL

Nope, sounded pretty snide to me...oh wait I just finished a nice bottle of Pinot tonight with dinner (been studying a lot - so first drink in a few weeks) - forget what I said...I already did :)

Merlin1958
08-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Nope, sounded pretty snide to me...oh wait I just finished a nice bottle of Pinot tonight with dinner (been studying a lot - so first drink in a few weeks) - forget what I said...I already did :)

LOL LOL :FU:, You still won the Grand Prize!!! LOL LOL LOL

Patrick
08-23-2013, 10:20 PM
I want to party with Chad!

I think there is more comraderie than may appear on the public threads as oftentimes transactions amongst friends are negotiated via private communications.

Patrick
08-23-2013, 10:30 PM
As far as the UK limited editions, I agree with the perspective that, aside from editions with no U.S. counterpart, they are lower on the wish list for a large number of collectors. I share the belief that this is because (a) they tend to be of lower quality relative to their U.S. counterparts, and (b) they are from a different country than the author.

Like tippy, I started collecting the "duplicate" U.K. Limited editions long after I had built a collection of domestic (to myself and the author) collectible books. Also, I make no concerted effort to collect UK 1st editions. I simply buy ones that appeal to me because of the dust jacket or because I love the story so much I want to expand on that title.

Jimimck
08-24-2013, 12:43 AM
I can't argue with the belief they are not as desirable/collectible as the US versions, but Brice, you reckon the fact they are not from the same country as the author plays a part? That reason hadn't crossed my mind until you mentioned it. I'm not disagreeing, just wondering how much of a part that plays compared to the production values...

divemaster
08-24-2013, 08:54 AM
I can't argue with the belief they are not as desirable/collectible as the US versions, but Brice, you reckon the fact they are not from the same country as the author plays a part? That reason hadn't crossed my mind until you mentioned it. I'm not disagreeing, just wondering how much of a part that plays compared to the production values...

That's 99% of it to me. King is from the U.S. What I care about his books published in England? Or Germany, or Holland, etc. I don't.

tippy4
08-24-2013, 09:03 AM

That's 99% of it to me. King is from the U.S. What I care about his books published in England? Or Germany, or Holland, etc. I don't.

I think the fact that King is from the U.S. plays a small part of it for me as well...but I think an even bigger part is that I am from the U.S..

As an example....I recently went to a Gaiman signing. I debated what book I should bring with me to get signed, and ultimately, I brought a U.S. first edition of Coraline......but did consider bringing a U.K. first edition since Gaiman is a Brit.

Patrick
08-24-2013, 09:03 AM
My understanding is that the country of origin of an author has material influence.

A mitigating factor to my comments above can be the actual limitation of an edition, such as the smaller print run for this UK S/L of DOCTOR SLEEP.

Also, I believe that English language limited editions, regardless of country of origin, have a wider audience, and therefore collectibility, than their foreign language counterparts.

carlosdetweiller
08-24-2013, 09:22 AM
The old axiom in book collecting is to "follow the flag" meaning to collect the books published in the author's home country. They are felt to (usually) be the most collectible and meaningful. I fell into collecting UK editions of King's books many years ago and still collect all that are available to me. I think I am attracted to them because they are in English. I have a very few books in my collection that are in other languages but they mean very little to me. I guess that is because I can't read them.

Merlin1958
08-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah, Bob I can see the "follow the flag" axiom. The more I think of it the more I agree with that. The author does tend to "belong" to the people of his/her country. I actually started collecting the U.K. editions because a) I think the DJ's are cooler most times (grass is always greener) and b) I see them as being more rare to collect here in the U.S.

Just throwing this out there, but as far as "quality" goes nothing produced in the U.K can approach the dismal quality of the early "Doubleday editions"!!! LOL

MarcoL
09-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I've got one copy left (the one I ordered for myself), offering it for USD 500.- including worldwide shipping (insured, priority postage).
Please PM if interested, thanks.

herbertwest
09-03-2013, 03:56 AM
Does anyone knows exactly when it will be charged? I was told beginning of september...

Tito_Villa
09-03-2013, 05:09 AM
When they are shipped, so around the 24th

MarcoL
09-14-2013, 01:43 AM
My VISA was charged a couple of days ago

Jimimck
09-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Love the signature quote Marco...

herbertwest
09-14-2013, 07:38 AM
My VISA was charged a couple of days ago

So was I. I guess that my second copy was processed too, but I cant check it (yet) as the HSBC website is currently on maintenance...

burial
09-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Is it still "In stock" or all are sold by now?

Tito_Villa
09-15-2013, 05:13 AM
They were sold out a while ago!

Rachel Readman
09-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Is it still "In stock" or all are sold by now?

If you are looking to purchase a copy of this I have 5 copies available which I am just about to put on Ebay. £300 plus actual shipping, payment through Paypal gift payment.

PM me if you would like a copy.

Lauterer
09-17-2013, 03:23 AM
I Received my copy today... Someone an idea if there is the number somewhere on the bill or outside of the book? At the moment i do not want to open destroy the shrinkwrap... :lol1:

shaq
09-17-2013, 03:48 AM
Right, early leaves for me to see if postman has delivered from today until I receive it!!

Open the box, just open the box!!!!

Then post a pic. That really is an early delivery.

Congratulations

Tito_Villa
09-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Interesting i just phoned up book point and they said that the books are still due for shipping on the 24th and card payments will be taken that day as well.

herbertwest
09-17-2013, 05:50 AM
I Received my copy today... Someone an idea if there is the number somewhere on the bill or outside of the book? At the moment i do not want to open destroy the shrinkwrap... :lol1:

Great! Are you living in the UK or abroad?

Stockerlone
09-17-2013, 06:06 AM

GLÜCKWUNSCH

jhanic
09-17-2013, 06:06 AM
English, please.

John

frik
09-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Congratulations!

sk

Rachel Readman
09-17-2013, 07:21 AM
They haven't charged my card for them yet either. I'll have to check with family tonight to see if they have been charged yet.

Lauterer
09-17-2013, 07:31 AM
I live in Germany...!

Rachel Readman
09-18-2013, 02:46 AM
Nobody in my family has been charged on their cards yet.

I now have my available copies up on Ebay but if anyone here is interested feel free to PM.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-18-2013, 03:03 AM

You tell us. You are the only one with a copy at the moment.

(No picure, no exist)

carlosdetweiller
09-18-2013, 03:21 AM
(No picure, no exist)

Agree. Another message board I frequent deals with college football and the discussions usually have much more of an edge than on this site and there is a fairly intolerant attitude at times. One line that gets used a lot whenever someone makes a statement or claim is "Pics or GTFO."

Stockerlone
09-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Fast delivery to GERMANY. My UK S/L Doctor Sleep arrived today.....:nana: